HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Fairfax Homeowners Allegedly Robbed by KMG, Inc.
Posted by: Fairfax Home Owner ()
Date: September 08, 2007 01:13PM

I thought that it was strange when my homeowners' association hired a company to perform some simple tasks that our elected homeowners' association officers were elected to accomplish. Unfortunately, the association leaders abrogated the association's newsletter to the Koger Management Group, Inc. and, consequently, I've not heard if our particular association was robbed by KMG. KMG, Inc., apparently, was scamming homeowners' associations.

There are over 1,500 homeowners and condominium owners associations in Fairfax County. Apparently, KMG represented quite a number from whom they allegedly stole funds.

Does anyone know the status of the investigation? Are there any charges pending? Who are the KMG officials involved?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fairfax Homeowners Allegedly Robbed by KMG, Inc.
Date: September 09, 2007 04:45PM

Did I post this item in the wrong forum? Is this strictly for kids?

With so few hits, I'm thinking that most people in the forum don't own homes in the county. Apparently, the KMG people were involved with a large number of homeowners' organizations.

Posted by: ffxn8v ()
Date: September 09, 2007 04:51PM

I live in Fairfax County, am an adult, and live in an HOA "governed" community.

I have not had any dealings or prior knowledge of the company you mentioned.

How did they take you again?

Didn't the Board of Directors (BOD) of your community have to vote for tasks involving money?

Did your BOD have have a monthly budget review?

Did your BOD have checks to sign?

Did your BOD have a contract or other enforcable agreement with the Mgmt. Co.?

...just a few questions to ask yourself and others in your community. Hopefully this has helped.

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: September 09, 2007 10:49PM

Unfortunately, the allegations are that after Mr. Koger retired and gave the keyy to his son (so to speak), his son stole between $800 and an ungodly amount of money".

I have confirmed with our HOA auditors that this is a tragic case and it is very unusual and unpredictable.

Koger, now Tri-State Management, filed for bankruptcy protection at the end of July.

A fine tooth comb audit of our HOA showed approximately $5k in income mis-applied (probably to another HOA with similar name,.

SO go ahead and elect you HOA board members. Now you can blame them. HOA board members are volunteers who are taking time out of their schedules to try and keep the community up to par.

We choose Koger a few years ago because they were the largest and and most knowledgeable property management company. Remember the old saying "no one ever lost their job choosing big blue"?

Your HOA is most likely well aware of the situation, auditing the funds right now, and if there is an issue will file an insurance claim (e&o) immediately if not sooner.

So if you are a homeowner, I would suggest you bash the HOA Board because they took the time and responsibility y to get involved while you watched re-runs of Buffy The Vampire Slayer!

Date: September 10, 2007 05:19AM

Thank you Radiophile for adding clarity to my original question.

And, you are right: I am a dropout in terms of the HOA: it provides no particular services; it's BOD are the same folks for 20 years worried about their housing area's sign (and spending collective monies on it and the unused basketball court); and the so-called architectural committee (same folks) attempts to maintain the appearance of the homes (which they surely failed to do following the Big Storm). So, in reality, the BOD is NOT taking the time and have abrogated their responsibilities--it is simply a self-serving group of older adults.

And, thanks, ffxn8v v for offering your questions. With HOA dues less than $60 a year, it's not worth the effort. Just an irksome situation that led me to wonder how the HOA was effected: to date no news from the BOA

BTW Radiophile, I watch Discovery Channel, Bill O'Reilly, and Bill Mahr. I may tilt at windmills, but not vampires.

Posted by: R. Golden ()
Date: September 21, 2007 05:19PM

Some limited information about Koger Management appears at www.gglawva.com

Posted by: Fairfax Homeowner ()
Date: September 21, 2007 08:37PM

You are Golden! Many thanks for the best description of this fraud, I've seen.

Particularly, interesting:

"The complaint named Jeff Koger, the company's former chief financial officer and son of company president Robert A. Koger, as 'the likely primary culprit responsible for embezzling the funds.'

"Jeff Koger could not be reached for comment; messages were left on his phone and at his Herndon residence. Robert A. Koger did not respond to a message left at his Rust Road office. An employee at the offices of his attorney, George H. Ragland Jr., said Ragland was ill and not available.

"Robert A. Koger said in March that he was estranged from his son, who he said left the company in late 2006 with 'major medical problems.'

"But Barsky told the Real Estate Board that approximately $2.2 million in homeowner funds was withdrawn from an account at a BB&T bank between 2004 and 2006 and transferred either to Jeff Koger or Tri-Fitness, an Annandale health club that lists Koger on financial documents. When reached by phone, Tony Harris, Tri-Fitness co-owner, referred all questions to Jeff Koger, then hung up."

This case would appear to dwarf the Navy school alleged fraud. And would seemingly offer much more to investigate and comment.

Posted by: allivant ()
Date: September 22, 2007 12:42PM

I've dealt with Koger since I had to order resale packages all the time. This is pretty crazy.

vaburbia.com

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: September 22, 2007 09:18PM

Fairfax Home Owner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thank you Radiophile for adding clarity to my
> original question.
>
> And, you are right: I am a dropout in terms of
> the HOA: it provides no particular services; it's
> BOD are the same folks for 20 years worried about
> their housing area's sign (and spending collective
> monies on it and the unused basketball court); and
> the so-called architectural committee (same folks)
> attempts to maintain the appearance of the homes
> (which they surely failed to do following the Big
> Storm). So, in reality, the BOD is NOT taking the
> time and have abrogated their responsibilities--it
> is simply a self-serving group of older adults.
>
> And, thanks, ffxn8v v for offering your questions.
> With HOA dues less than $60 a year, it's not
> worth the effort. Just an irksome situation that
> led me to wonder how the HOA was effected: to
> date no news from the BOA
>
> BTW Radiophile, I watch Discovery Channel, Bill
> O'Reilly, and Bill Mahr. I may tilt at windmills,
> but not vampires.

Then get involved! I guarantee you that your BOD does a lot of things that take up their time and energy that you know nothing about.

Remember, none of them are paid and with ceretain legislation on the books - they can be held personally liable. In other words they can be sued! I am on the Board in my community and even though our governing docs claim the lawyers etc will protect from personal liability, I was told I still should cary 1 million umbrella policy - just in case.

Look back to an earlier thread where one moron and liar claimed a member oh his hoa Board called him a "fagot" and he sued the guy in federal court because being a fagot is a protected class. These are the types of know it all morons a HOA deals with on a regular basis.

For taking action against a homeowner, I have been threatened to be sued many times. For discrimination mostly. I left a note on a commercial vehicle parked in the neighborhood - which is against the rules of just about every HOA community in the county. I received a letter from a lawyer - licensed to practice in Florida - threatening to sue me and the Hoa for discrimination because I obviously had a problem with "Canadians". Again I had no idea who the vehicle belonged to and all of the sudden some lawyer in Florida is making a racism case against me. .

This is only one of several times this has happened. People come up with laws that do not exist and throw a phantom lawyer who will sue us. And all we ask is a little help and I got youer back from the community but 95% of the households only complain.

So stop your complaining and get involved.

1) you will learn a lot
2) you get to be part of the community
3) you can make a difference

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.