HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Your opinion on how safe our schools are
Posted by: Trickie ()
Date: August 11, 2005 01:14PM

I was just wondering. I hear teachers tALK about how the job is getting harder and harder. I see stuff in the news about gangs and drugs and fights. Are our schools ( middle and high schools) safe?

Trickie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Your opinion on how safe our schools are
Posted by: rstidman ()
Date: August 11, 2005 01:21PM

They're not safe in the slightest. Anybody with eyes can see that.. walking into a school around here is like walking into an orgy and drug den.

Posted by: SWweeman ()
Date: August 13, 2005 06:41AM

rstidman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They're not safe in the slightest. Anybody with
> eyes can see that.. walking into a school around
> here is like walking into an orgy and drug den.

What? I went to school in a real city and I can tell you Fairfax schools can't even compare when it comes to safety. Sure, each school has its problems, but nothing like DC or whatever planet rstidman is on. Fairfax schools are pretty safe. THe schools in the money sections of the county will be better than ones let's say in Annandale or Falls Chruch.

Posted by: rstidman ()
Date: August 13, 2005 01:12PM

you're right, I always feel perfectly safe at an orgy and a drug den, so I take it back.

Posted by: LanEvo ()
Date: August 13, 2005 02:43PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2011 10:52PM by LanEvo.

Posted by: ryan ()
Date: August 13, 2005 05:33PM

i went to lake braddock. what a fuckin shithole. especially as of late. it's only a matter of time before bigger, badder incidents take place

Posted by: bah ()
Date: August 15, 2005 10:17PM

i went to marshall, and every year there is at least one fight. and falls church high school is not even close to being safe, i know at least several gang fights that happened near falls chuch high school.

Posted by: rustybolts ()
Date: August 15, 2005 11:47PM

at least one fight every year??? how did you make it out alive?

as an fcps teacher and fcps alumni, i am obviously biased, but these schools are very safe.

orgy and drug den??? come on now....

Posted by: ben ()
Date: August 16, 2005 12:05AM

rustybolts Wrote:
> at least one fight every year??? how did you make
> it out alive?
>
> as an fcps teacher and fcps alumni, i am obviously
> biased, but these schools are very safe.
>
> orgy and drug den??? come on now....

As a student of FCPS, I can only say: are you sure you're teaching in FCPS?

Chantilly HS: Fights all the time, any drug you could possibly want anytime of day..

Not that it wasn't/isn't a safe school. It is. But don't pretend like it's neverland.

Posted by: rustybolts ()
Date: August 16, 2005 12:15AM

hardly a neverland, but the previous posts made it sound like walking into a fairfax co. high school required Kevlar and rubber gloves.

what ever would they say about a PS in NY???? they'd probably faint before getting back to their computers to post the horrors.

Posted by: ernie.els ()
Date: August 16, 2005 12:29AM

Same as they were when I was a high school lad, I guess. However, I don't think WAVA has the same appeal now as it did then.

Posted by: soccerguy315 ()
Date: August 16, 2005 03:22PM

gang fights don't make schools unsafe. Gangs fight with each other, not random people.

seriously, FCPS is one of, if not the best, public school system in the country. If you want drugs, yea, you can definitely get them, but you can get them at high schools in the middle of nowhere too.

get a good education and learn a few street smarts while your at it.

Posted by: Bob ()
Date: August 16, 2005 07:09PM

The whole idea of FCPS's being presented as being 'safe' schools is a giant facade; however, one thing this county has a lot of (besides money) are people and the means to manipulate the citizens and present them with what they want to hear. Schools in this county are falling apart in more ways than one, and it is sickening to think what they will become in 10 years (nonetheless June 2006).

Posted by: jessica ()
Date: August 21, 2005 12:36AM

my sister's walked in on kids doing lines in the bathrooms at liberty middle school. there's also a hell of a lot more pregnet 13 year olds than there was a couple years back...

some sick sad shit..

Posted by: Spicolli ()
Date: August 27, 2005 09:04AM

Trickie Wrote:
> I was just wondering. I hear teachers tALK about
> how the job is getting harder and harder. I see
> stuff in the news about gangs and drugs and
> fights. Are our schools ( middle and high
> schools) safe?
>
> Trickie

I went to a rural school in BFE in the 80s and there were drugs and fights there. It's called high school. Look at Columbine - idyllic school in a good community and some asshats open fire.

I think for the most part schools in NoVa are safe enough. If you are a student, don't take drugs and don't associate or fuck with gang members. It is a pretty simple rule for survival.

Posted by: FFX is not compton ()
Date: August 27, 2005 09:47PM

I also just graduated from Lake Braddock High and I can say that it was safe when I was there...but I can see it getting much worse...middle schoolers setting trash cans on fire and blowing up lockers...please...it's only a matter of time...

Posted by: Wear polos, not holsters ()
Date: August 27, 2005 09:51PM

Gangs don't pick on random people but if you look at them the wrong way they'll start a conflict. It can be scarey

Posted by: Champ Kind ()
Date: August 28, 2005 11:34AM

rustybolts Wrote:
> at least one fight every year??? how did you make
> it out alive?

That might be one of the funniest lines that I have read at this site! Comparing schools in NoVA to those in the inner city is a joke. Yes, schools in the suburbs have their problems, but try going into a high school in DC or Baltimore and see how much education is actually taking place. The majority of the students that are there are not there to get an education. It's a social scene, or a place of business for them.

My 2 cents worth--I think a major overhaul of the secondary education system needs to take place whereby students are identified that have the potential or desire for a college track early. If they have no interest or don't have the ability, more of an emphasis needs to be on learning a skill rather than remedial academics as takes place now. You can earn a nice living as a welder or bricklayer or electrician, but you need to get those skills somewhere and by the time these kids get out of the school system after struggling for so long, the last thing they want is to go out and look for some place to get more education, even if it will eventually be to their benefit.

*Stepping down off my soap box now* Whammy!

Posted by: Zedman ()
Date: August 28, 2005 09:38PM

After going to schools around Boston, MA and coming down here, schools down here seem like a walk in the park (in terms of safety). Sure, every school has its drugs, gangs (cliques, or what have you), and fights. But its the choices of the individual student that make or break their educational experience and how safe they stay in and around school.

The schools around Boston, MA had atleast 3-4 fights every day, drugs were easily available to anyone, sex in the bathrooms, etc... Down here, it seems like things are fairly well kept.

Posted by: infinitcash ()
Date: September 02, 2005 03:42AM

FCPS has standards that are high, and students learning students must take responsibity if they want to succeed.

If one is from a broken home and thinks about suicide, they will fall back, lose intrest and fail, when kids are held back they become a problem

Drugs are a problem(i know people, that know people, that know people who push mad weight)

Kids themselves exposed to violence, gang members, tv, rap music, turn into problems

Posted by: tina ()
Date: September 02, 2005 06:29AM

I hate South Lakes, but I don't feel in danger. I mean last year tho, we had a guy show up with knives and we've had wicked amounts of fights between black girls (one resulted in boobs all popping out) but they're quite amusing.

As far as standards, the system sucks- I mean, you have to work you're ass off for an A..94-100 and it pisses me off because an A is usually 90-100 and I get in deep shit if I don't get A's. So it sucks.

The school times suck too, I might lead a demo against FCPS in changing the times. But meh, I'm too lazy.

Posted by: j3rown ()
Date: September 02, 2005 09:10AM

I don't think a school can really be "unsafe", unless shit was falling through the ceilings and whatever. However, the kids inside can be unsafe. But I would have to say that FCPS is a pretty diverse area. I mean, I got beat the fuck up at least 3 times in 6th grade at my elementary school (Hunters Woods ES, before it got renovated and whatever). And there was a herpes ring at my middle school so bad that they sent letters home (Rachel Carson MS). And at my current school where I'm a senior, I can get weed so cheap it makes it seem more common than tobacco. But I don't actually think that drugs can warrant a school as being unsafe. The reason Hunters Woods is so bad is because, like my previous school, Dogwood, all the kids who live in the cheap welfare apartments go there. I mean, if you think about it, an elementary school located in a bad neighborhood is mounds more dangerous than any high school can be, just because of the lack of diversity. High School and Middle School zones are a lot broader than that of an elementary school.

Well anyway, it's still really all not that bad. Drugs in my book doesn't constitute as dangerous, and neither do cat fights, or whatever. See, I almost got knifed sophomore year, but only because I was a dumbass. I gave this asian kid I didn't know at lunch a backrub. And then called him a monkey. But not to deviate from my point, FCPS is not that bad of a place at all.

Posted by: A'rn ()
Date: September 06, 2005 02:13AM

It seems like a lot of the problems with the FCPS schools lie in how willing the school system is to actually enact change. The schools continue to get further and further run-down (except a few lucky exceptions.) As a result, yeah, there are just enough gang kids, random assholes and "weapons-for-safety" kids (you know, the ones whose buzz-cut, red-faced alcoholic dads say "always carry somethin' fer protection, son!") at the Fairfax schools that life there isn't as great as the folks defending FCPS might lead you to think.

Fairfax schools don't suck. They don't exactly gleam either. The FCPS officials can boast a lot of numbers when it comes to test scores and attendance rates, but that still doesn't mean the schools are "good."

Posted by: tina ()
Date: September 13, 2005 07:06PM

We had a bomb threat last.

Posted by: Dr. Phil Harmonic, PHD. ()
Date: September 24, 2005 08:10AM

If you are a student, dont take drugs? Why didnt I think of that. I'm call Keith Richards right now and tell him!

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: September 26, 2005 12:27PM

tina Wrote:
> We had a bomb threat last.
>

just goes to show that people dont like cops.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: dan ()
Date: September 27, 2005 05:46PM

hey, uh, j3rown...20 bucks for a g isn't cheap weed, just to let ya know...in fact, it's more on the expensive side, but that still doesn't mean anything, because it's easy as hell to get, and that's what really matters. back in highschool, i could get whatever i wanted(if i so chose to...), whenever i wanted it, and not have any sort of probelms finding a place to do it. that's the thing that really fucks up the schools in NOVA...fighting, well, shit happens...fights happen, and usually result in a punch thrown, or a couple people pushing eachother into a locker or some other random bullshit like that. there have been people with serious weapons in school, but i'd like for you to find one school that hasn't at one point or another had anyone carrying around a weapon...

but anyways, as it's been said before, the schools are definately pretty safe, and are definately good schools, just gotta keep yourself off the bad side.

Posted by: j3rown ()
Date: October 04, 2005 08:39PM

Did I say anything about $20 a g? I can get a g for about $10, or even for free because I got hook ups. I don't know where you are pulling this shit from, but I said nothing about a price.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: October 04, 2005 09:19PM

I think Bill Gates should buy our school system and turn it into a big daily orgy. I've never been to an unsafe orgy.

Well, by unsafe I am referring to guns and knives.

Posted by: Bill Pecos ()
Date: October 11, 2005 10:00AM

Listen Schools theese days have turned into battle ground. If Its not MS or someother faction its the new riseing Nazi Gang Called Badder mein hoff. They have been slowly growing and in my line of work its my job to notice. There is intelligence that the gang roots in gainsville and is slowly spreading into fairfax. Unfortnatly Badder was fighting with MS for drug trade but before we could infiltrate the situation both waring syndicates dropped under the radar and drifted away. In Conclusion The schools are breeding grounds and recruiting centers for theese new gangs aswell as drug centers. P.S. I need some information on Badder mein hoff in this area any information will help-Post it if u have it

Date: October 11, 2005 02:55PM

I've been told I look and act like a white supremacist, even though I don't buy into all that Aryan Nazi homo shit, so if you need someone to go deep cover I am your man.

MEIN KAMPF!!!

Posted by: PaperPusher ()
Date: October 18, 2005 01:44PM

I hosted a party for a high school senior girl turning 18 the other day. I had to go ballastic to chase the drunken, crack smoking, blunt puffing hoodlums off my property. I'm sure I looked like an idiot running around with my spotlight, but after the drunken brawl on my street broke out, I'd had enough. Word has it that she gained popularity after that bash.

How safe are the schools? If my experience is a statistically valid sample, then the proper question would be "can kids survive high school in this area?"

Date: October 18, 2005 03:51PM

They don't do all that shit at school, paperpusher, they get it all out at your house so school is safer.

Date: October 19, 2005 12:58PM

that's good news

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: October 21, 2005 08:48AM

PaperPusher Wrote:
> that's good news

when's you next party? :P

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Date: October 24, 2005 12:01PM

probably the chick's HS graduation

Posted by: unknown ()
Date: October 24, 2005 10:44PM

Yeah tilly is pretty bad, theres regular fights, most of which being nothing really at all. And about the drugs, u want it, they got it...

Posted by: Chantil ()
Date: October 24, 2005 10:57PM

At Chantilly HS I've heard from some people about teachers talking about kids starting to become segregated again, blacks and whites. I wonder how this might affect the safety of the schools in the future, unless they do something ofcourse. Supposably from what I've heard teachers have had to attend some meetings on how to keep the kids together to prevent this from happening, but it's only things I've heard, could be rumors, who knows.

Posted by: ben ()
Date: October 25, 2005 03:45AM

Chantil Wrote:
> At Chantilly HS I've heard from some people about
> teachers talking about kids starting to become
> segregated again, blacks and whites. I wonder how
> this might affect the safety of the schools in the
> future, unless they do something ofcourse.
> Supposably from what I've heard teachers have had
> to attend some meetings on how to keep the kids
> together to prevent this from happening, but it's
> only things I've heard, could be rumors, who
> knows.

People seem to forget that racism runs both ways. I sat and listened to a black youth, dressed trashily and speaking in dialect, talk about how the 'white man' owning houses keeps the 'black man' renting and poor. Yes, I'm white and responsible with my money, therefore it's a conspiracy to keep you poor. My eyes actually rolled out of my head that day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2005 03:46AM by ben.

Posted by: .. ()
Date: October 25, 2005 08:30PM

So wait, you really are searching for bmh info to snitch? And you've been the cop the whole time?

Posted by: sdghsmj ()
Date: November 05, 2005 10:40PM

lake braddock sucks, we dont have ceilings in the main hallways. we had a bomb threat last week that took 100 minutes to take care of. ive been threatened by gangs a couple times, they back down because i know alot of big ppl. you can get any drug you want, i stick with weed, and i buy it from a peaceful guy outside of school. yea theyre dangerous, but its mostly the fuckin gangs that wanna start shit, because they suck

Posted by: Yep ()
Date: November 02, 2012 10:31PM

I find my school to be pretty safe. No fights, at all. Kind of boring there, now that I think about it.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.