HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
HB 1443: marijuana decriminalization in virginia
Posted by: j ()
Date: November 30, 2010 01:37AM

the story:

http://www2.dailyprogress.com/news/2010/nov/28/conservative-republican-leads-effort-decriminalize-ar-682721/

find out who your delegate is.
call them.
ask them where they stand on HB1443.
let them know you are paying attention.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?111+sum+HB1443

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HB 1443: marijuana decriminalization in virginia
Posted by: whatzit tooya ()
Date: November 30, 2010 06:14AM

done.

Posted by: 10inchdonkey ()
Date: November 30, 2010 06:49AM

i dont even smoke weed but hell! im down!

Posted by: General Lee ()
Date: November 30, 2010 08:46AM

This is NEVER going to pass.

Posted by: Duchess ()
Date: November 30, 2010 09:11AM

Get Big Tobacco behind it and it will be a done deal. But not until then.

Posted by: PhillipMorris ()
Date: November 30, 2010 10:11AM

This will never pass. Not only are we a Commonwealth, we are a Tobacco state, anything that threatens profits is going to meet heavy resistance by the lobbyists. Win the Tobacco, and you win your freedom. Make it profitable for Big Tobacco and you'll get your weed

Posted by: ProVallone ()
Date: November 30, 2010 03:02PM

As it stands now, laws against drugs and prositution don't work, and the government is losing out on a lot of tax revenue.

Posted by: Watson ()
Date: November 30, 2010 03:16PM

Now correct me if im wrong, but decriminalization means that its still illegal, but instead of going to court/asap you get it confiscated and you get some kind of fine? If thats the case then it would still be sold illicitly and wouldnt take any kind of bite outta tobacco sales. Plus smokers arent going to just quit smoking.

Posted by: GMU ()
Date: December 02, 2010 02:30PM

This is Great! I don't smoke marijuana, but why do we need to waste our resources putting innocent simple possession marijuana users in jail and/or giving them a CRIMINAL RECORD! The probation period, community service, fines and drug classes will still be applicable. This is when delegates have to consider: What if it was your kid/grandkid getting a criminal record for possessing a little bit of a plant that grows naturally over the world. The best part about this bill is that it doesn't repeal the punishments for distributors and manufacturers of marijuana- which is where law enforcement really needs to concern themselves, not 75% of teenagers these days that are taking a safer alternative to alcohol!

Posted by: Johnny Walker ()
Date: December 02, 2010 02:32PM

PhillipMorris Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This will never pass. Not only are we a
> Commonwealth, we are a Tobacco state, anything
> that threatens profits is going to meet heavy
> resistance by the lobbyists. Win the Tobacco, and
> you win your freedom. Make it profitable for Big
> Tobacco and you'll get your weed

I would normally agree, but the anti-public-smoking laws got passed, something I never thought I'd see.

That said, this doesn't stand a chance.

Posted by: C & C ()
Date: December 02, 2010 02:45PM

Count us in
Attachments:
cheechandchong.jpg

­
Posted by: chuckhoffmann ()
Date: December 03, 2010 12:18AM

­

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2013 12:29AM by chuckhoffmann.

Posted by: JackdUpFord ()
Date: December 03, 2010 01:11AM

you're an idiot.

tobacco companies would never be behind it...that would be a major loss of profit

Date: December 03, 2010 09:32AM

If marijuana was legal, Big Tobacco would be on it in a heartbeat - growing it, processing, distributing, marketing, selling - and it would make them more money than Tobacco ever did.

It needs Big Tobacco to get the idea off the ground - one thing I object to with today's marijuana is God Only Knows what is really in it. Definitely something different than 30 or so years ago - it is more potent or something now which is my personal observation although I am a non-smoker.

Big Tobacco could assure a standard and keep out the unknown fillers. Big Tobacco could also set the abusrdly high prices, collect & pay the huge taxes to make the Govt. happy make a huge profit and end the Mexican Drug wars by doing so. It could end the Recession what with the jobs and income it would generate

But it will take Big Tobacco to get this done right.

Date: December 03, 2010 01:21PM

I back BIG TOBACCO !

Date: December 03, 2010 03:14PM

If those goes through, I would definitely buy stock.

Posted by: jbrizzle ()
Date: December 04, 2010 02:42PM

It should at least be approved for medicinal use. It's the only thing that calms my chronic nausea. I've been on phenergan forever, but it doesn't do it the way pot does.

Posted by: reg guy ()
Date: December 05, 2010 12:23AM

at this point it would honestly be harder to convince me that this is a BAD move than to just pass it and stop wasting our tax dollars bothering responsible users... just an opinion

Posted by: terrorist96 ()
Date: December 13, 2010 08:47PM

Whoever lives in Virginia and supports marijuana decriminalization, please fill out these two forms to contact your representatives/delegates:

http://bit.ly/hmHtty
http://bit.ly/eUIOey

Posted by: Richard Sean ()
Date: December 15, 2010 11:39PM

I support the idea of HB 1443, but honestly I think there needs to be a a section for medicinal purposes for cancer, ms, and other extremely painful diseases. And a State Identification license should be required at a reasonable fee that allows reciprocity with the District of Columbia.

If and only if a physician authorizes the use for medical purposes. The income potential for the State would be beneficial and the cost savings on the judicial system would be a benefit. As a father, I have not and do not condone the use for recreational purposes. But medical patients should not be denied the benefits.

Posted by: j ()
Date: December 16, 2010 12:37AM

what do you care WHY people smoke pot and what does being a dad have to do with it? serious question.

Richard Sean Wrote:
As a
> father, I have not and do not condone the use for
> recreational purposes. But medical patients
> should not be denied the benefits.

Posted by: 4us2usenusa ()
Date: January 06, 2011 05:22PM

Damn Right! Tobacco is absolutely the gateway drug!

Date: January 06, 2011 05:24PM

How can the government say that something natural is illegal? They sell and profit out of selling poison to people...advertised openly on television, making everyone look like they are having a fucking blast. Don't show pix of waking up in puke or someone else's spoooge. Just the P A R T Y.

God Made Weed
Man Made Beer
Trust in Weed

Date: January 06, 2011 05:29PM

From 9-12 on 1-17, constituants who support HB 1443 will Lobby on the lawn of the Capitol Building in Richmond, VA. Even though it is MLK day, they are still in session and are aware that we are coming.

Please come to show your support! Regardless of your beliefs about cannabis, what's right is right and not always legal. And, as has been posted, complete legalization would bring huge revenues to the government.

Fuck, PM guy....I have been hearing rumors since I began smoking at 14 (that's a long time ago) that Phillip Morris was already prepared for legalization and could use the same machinery that they roll cigs (gateway drug) to roll joints. Not everyone is going to want to or have the ability to grow their own plants. They will have to buy them from somewhere...why not a place already set up to roll shit into papers?

Date: January 10, 2011 08:13PM

UPDATE! This marijuana decriminalization bill will be presented to the House Courts of Justice committee. We need them to vote it out of committee! So please contact them by following this link and fill out the form.
http://bit.ly/fykzAt

Posted by: Older ()
Date: January 10, 2011 08:44PM

Even though I suffer from MS, I do not use. Instead, I spend 175 after insurance for Betaseron, 50 for Vicodin, and 50 for valium. My physician's have told me to consider Marijuana as an alternative. Of course, I still haven't done it (not since High School). However, I do not see why we are criminalizing people for use. If it was regulated and taxed similiar to alcohol, the State would be making a very good profit.

Posted by: Frank ()
Date: January 10, 2011 08:50PM

Thanks for the heads up - I've contacted the delegates to let them know they should make possession of even a very small amount a full felony.

Thanks for letting us know about this!

Posted by: To: frank ()
Date: January 10, 2011 09:09PM

I hope no one in your family gets sick. Pot has helped many who have been sick for a long time. Pot is their last hope.

Posted by: Marcus Vick ()
Date: January 10, 2011 10:00PM

To: frank Wrote:
> I hope no one in your family gets sick. Pot has
> helped many who have been sick for a long time.
> Pot is their last hope.

im not disagreeing that marijuana has medical benefits but in what way could marijuana ever be a "last hope" for anyone?

Posted by: Fuggin Serious? ()
Date: January 11, 2011 03:41AM

Older Wrote:
> Even though I suffer from MS, I do not use.
> Instead, I spend 175 after insurance for
> Betaseron, 50 for Vicodin, and 50 for valium. My
> physician's have told me to consider Marijuana as
> an alternative. Of course, I still haven't done
> it (not since High School). However, I do not see
> why we are criminalizing people for use. If it
> was regulated and taxed similiar to alcohol, the
> State would be making a very good profit.

Hey Older, you must be joking. you are taking all those pills wasting all that money on pills that probably are not even working that well. maybe im too stoned to make a real point you should for sure start chiefing the reefer as a medicine. i have no sicknesses and it cures me everyday, im sure it will help you. I say smoke it if you have the needs too, and you fall into that category

Posted by: Older ()
Date: January 11, 2011 10:57AM

Fuggin,

I don't think it should be illegaly for medicinal purposes, nor should carrying a small amount be such a serious crime. But NOT because I qualify rather because it seems the smart thing to do if it is regulated and taxed similiar to alcohol. On a personal note, even if it was legal, it's just not my cup of tea. I did it years ago in high school a few times and just did not like it. The medication is expensive and I am sure large pharmaceutical companies as well as tobacco companies would prefer this remains illegal. I don't think this has any shot of passing, but I did follow the link above and notified them I think it should decriminalized, but in all my years, I have never seen the Government listen to the people or act in their best interest so why should they start now?

Date: January 12, 2011 01:52AM

In addition, there's going to be a lobbying day on January 17, 2011 in Richmond, where we will meet with our delegates. More info here: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=182590661766143&ref=mf

It would be great for as many people to come out.

@Older: I really think you should try it. True, you tried it in high school, but now is a different time. You really should keep all options open to treat yourself. I only want what's best for you.

And regarding it being the last hope for some people; ever wonder why there are 20 different pills that do the same thing? That's because people are different and your doctor will prescribe whichever is best for you. For some people, pills aren't effective and/or have ridiculous side effects. Marijuana is the only thing that works for them.

Posted by: M. E. T. H. OD man ()
Date: January 12, 2011 11:58PM

HEEY HEEEYHEEY HEEEEEEYYYYYY SMOKE WEED ERRYDAY!!!!

Posted by: process ()
Date: January 14, 2011 05:08PM

what stage of the process is this bill at today? what dates can we expect for a yay or nay or whether or not it will advance or die? thank you

Date: January 14, 2011 07:53PM

It's currently going to be heard by the subcommittee on January 17th. See more info on VA's NORML Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/vanorml

Posted by: DurrR ()
Date: January 14, 2011 08:58PM

weed shouldnt even be illegal in the first place. alcohol is 2x worse for you and people actualy can die from drinking. name one person who has smoked to much pot and died...its never happened. and it causing cancer? what doesnt cause cancer? being in the sun too long causes fuckin cancer. SMOKE WEED EVERY DAY 420

Posted by: Revolution ()
Date: January 17, 2011 06:59PM

It's about time for the twisted and corrupt justice system to make some changes. Possessing a natural, harmless plant for personal use should not be a criminal offense, especially just for the sake of being illegal. Laws shouldn't be based off of racist and antiquated issues, but hey, that sounds real familiar in this country.

Posted by: Matthew John Hammett ()
Date: January 18, 2011 11:10AM

I noticed this thread on a google search.

I am a harm reduction advocate and a volunteer.

I am the Northern Virgina Regional Director of Virginains Against Drug Violence.

If you support HB 1443 as I do, then I am inviting you to join me on fb as a fb friend. My primary purpose on fb is to update the drug laws. I testified to the House Courts of Justice Committee, yesterday on Martin Luther King day.

I invite you to contact me this way. We must move from talk to action. The room was packed, to learn more get off this site and join me for routine updates on this issue. I am a volunteer and do this outside of my job as a Professional Electronics Engineer. Help make your community a better place.

kind regards,

Matthew John Hammett

Date: January 18, 2011 11:11AM

Also, we will need to work on campaigns. This is an election year and as opportunities arise, I can inform you of how to focus your feelings into productive action, shoud you wish.

kind regards,

Matthew

Posted by: Gary ()
Date: February 26, 2011 05:22PM

Look this has nothing to do with Big Tobacco zip nada . The Bill would not make it legal to have weed just lower the penalty. If it passes it will be a hefty fine I think it said 650.00 and no jail time and not a felony. Its still against the law to grow or buy Marijuana !! If you want a say in this matter email your district Rep and speak your mind but be nice they will listen.

Posted by: 10inchdonkey ()
Date: February 26, 2011 06:45PM

hell yah i wouldnt give a fuck if the fine was 2 thousand dollars im still down with this shit

Posted by: This thread ()
Date: February 26, 2011 11:24PM

shows one unique user, located in Reston.

Peace

Posted by: whatzit tooya ()
Date: February 27, 2011 09:59AM

Even if we don't get get full legalization (i see it coming, just not anytime soon...), I would be HAPPY if it could just be decriminalization for possession of small amounts (say, an ounce or less= $100 fine, no jailtime, and it's a simple civil citation).

I like NY's laws, they make sense and would be perfect for VA:

Possession Incarceration Fine
25 g or less (first offense) civil citation none $100
25 g or less (second offense) civil citation none $200
25 g or less (3rd offense) misdemeanor 5 days and/or fine $250

Posted by: Ryno78<> ()
Date: February 28, 2011 10:32PM

In California we were the first to "medicalize" marijuana use in 1996. Since then most of the West Coast's recreational stoners have become certified medical marijuana patients. The Governator made possession of less than 1 oz. an infraction with a $100 fine. No criminal record. VA needs to pass medical marijuana legislation first thus opening the flood gates which will eventually lead to full decriminalization.

Got 420?

Date: March 09, 2011 09:23PM

The bill did not pass this year.

Our typical problem is Delegate Albo and Delgate Gilbert this year.

Again, these are positive steps in the right direction.

I don't like to waste time posting on threads, remember this is nice to chat about, but if you expect the law to change, then you are going to have to communicate with your representatives in the State of Virginia and let them know how you feel about policy. If you like the wasteful situation we are in, then just sit back. If you are breaking the law and do not do anything to change it and you know it is wrong, then you will have to answer to yourself every morning you get up and look in the mirror.

We are not NY. And those arguments do not appeal to the legislature. The Commonwealth will only listen to the organized response of its own citizens.

Saying things, like this will never pass is not only untrue it is couter productive. It is important to be constructive. If you have other productive solutions, then offer them.

kind regards,

Matthew John Hammett
Norther Virginia Regional Director,
Virginians Against Drug Violence.
Reston, VA

If you wish to become more informed about developments across the nation and in our state, then contact me on facebook, as long as I maintain that project and learn what you can do and stay on the pulse of the issue. Become meaningfully conversant in the issues and arguments that make sense, but are hard to articulate.

I am here to help. Feel free to contact me that way.

Posted by: BUTTERFLY ()
Date: March 25, 2011 12:38PM

10 INCH DNKEY -- IF U DONT SMOKE WEED WHY DO U POST ON HEADSHOP FORUMS AND WHY DO U POST THINGS LIKE ARE U GOOD? CAUSE UR A COP.

Date: March 25, 2011 01:18PM

A GAY ONE.

Posted by: tim foster ()
Date: March 25, 2011 04:45PM

I allmost lost my job after workin there for six years when they began durg testin i only missed three days in six years of workin for them i dont see why they should have the right to say what i can or cannt put in my body i am not a crimal for smokin pot and i want to find a way so i can smoke pot and keep my job

Posted by: Jenkem ()
Date: March 25, 2011 06:11PM

Perhaps one of the most unpleasant side effects is the lingering taste that Jenkem leaves in the user's mouth. The foul flavor of raw sewage lasts not for a few minutes or hours, but rather for a few days after using Jenkem.

Posted by: Ryno78 ()
Date: March 25, 2011 06:20PM

Someday they'll both be legal
Attachments:
top.jpg

Posted by: Kvrh ()
Date: April 01, 2011 09:37PM

PhillipMorris Wrote:
> This will never pass. Not only are we a
> Commonwealth, we are a Tobacco state, anything
> that threatens profits is going to meet heavy
> resistance by the lobbyists. Win the Tobacco, and
> you win your freedom. Make it profitable for Big
> Tobacco and you'll get your weed

Actually, big tobacco should want marijuana decriminalized. That could ultimately lead to a NEW revenue stream for them. Since marijuana has never been linked to a single death this could be a nice change of image for them :)

Posted by: JMV ()
Date: December 07, 2011 04:10PM

If you look closely at Virginia's medial marijuana law it is legal in the state of Virginia for the treatment of cancer and glaucoma

Date: December 19, 2011 06:39PM

JMV Wrote:
> If you look closely at Virginia's medial marijuana
> law it is legal in the state of Virginia for the
> treatment of cancer and glaucoma

Yes, it's legal to "prescribe" it for cancer and glaucoma, but it's contingent upon the federal government to make it legal to "prescribe." All states that have legalized it for medicinal purposes have gotten around that loophole by calling it "recommendations." It's the reason Arizona had to redo their medicinal law because they made the mistake of calling it a prescription the first time around and not a recommendation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2011 06:39PM by terrorist96.

Posted by: poopstick ()
Date: December 20, 2011 10:25PM

I believe they recently proved that marijuana cures all cancer forever. It also makes people up to %35 cooler and up to %50 more likely to enjoy Cheetos.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.