HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
anyone repair underground water line
Posted by: WaterLine ()
Date: November 13, 2010 11:38AM

recently in Fairfax area?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: anyone repair underground water line
Posted by: Why? ()
Date: November 13, 2010 12:07PM

Why? You wondering how much it costs? $5,000 - $6,000, from the street to the house.

Date: November 13, 2010 12:40PM

just go first estimate of $3500 but will get a couple more

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: November 13, 2010 04:47PM

Funny that you bring that up, because I just asked my folks yesterday whether or not the water piping coming into the house was PVC or copper, and they said "PVC". They tried to get copper when the house was built, but the developer refused it (Despite them offering to pay more for it). I'm afraid that somewhere down the road we'll have to replace it with copper. Hopefully the insurance covers copper replacement.

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Posted by: hsparent ()
Date: November 13, 2010 05:10PM

FYI...you can get insurance for the waterline from street to house from VA Dominion Power cost is like $3 a month.

Posted by: EkmcW ()
Date: November 13, 2010 05:34PM

I did some work last winter on broken water pipes. Luky for the ones that bought that stupid insurance from fairfax water. Pay paid nothing. The other neighbors bill were about 4 to 5 grand. Get that insurance its just 10.00 a month. Wll worth it

Posted by: steve ()
Date: November 13, 2010 05:54PM

cost me 6500.. but we are on a large lot quite a ways from the street... And that was cheapest of 4 estimates..

Posted by: Why? ()
Date: November 13, 2010 09:19PM

steve Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> cost me 6500.. but we are on a large lot quite a
> ways from the street... And that was cheapest of 4
> estimates..

I see my earlier estimate of $5-6K was in the "ballpark".

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: November 13, 2010 11:41PM

On average, does anyone know of the lifespan for PVC vs. Copper in this region (I'm talking about the water pipeline from the street to the house)?

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Posted by: I'm Sure ()
Date: November 14, 2010 01:14AM

ThePackLeader Wrote:
> On average, does anyone know of the lifespan for
> PVC vs. Copper in this region (I'm talking about
> the water pipeline from the street to the house)?

I'm sure either will last many, many years. Tree roots, super cold weather could be issues for either. However, be fortunate, you don't have that poly-butyl crap that they installed about 15-20 years ago. Not only did they install in the house, but ran it as pipe to the curb water meter, too. Most homes have had their inside pipes replaced due to pinhole leaks - and, switched over to copper. Now, it's just a question of when their outside lines will break.

Posted by: Orangeburg Sucks ()
Date: November 14, 2010 12:23PM

For a few years after WWII, they used a substance called "Orangeburg", which is basically the same stuff that shingles are made. They used it instead of the iron pipes for the line that runs to the sewer because iron was still in such high demand and expensive.

Well, this orangeburg last only 50 years and then it starts to buckle, which means backups and eventually the sewage backs up into your house. We found that out the hard way and had to pay $4200 to get 35 feet of it dug up in front of our house.

The worst thing is that you don't know you have it because the outgoing lines are iron, but from outside the foundation to the sewage line was orangeburg. So when I went under the house, it looked like we had cast iron pipes, but only until it got out of the house.

Our neighborhood has had several houses have to have their lines replaced in the front lawn in the last few years. Wish I had known that when we bought the house.

Date: November 15, 2010 11:15AM

getting it done for about 3k with 10 year warranty---new 1 inch copper line

Posted by: say ()
Date: November 15, 2010 10:10PM

Orangeburg Sucks Wrote:
> For a few years after WWII, they used a substance
> called "Orangeburg", which is basically the same
> stuff that shingles are made. They used it instead
> of the iron pipes for the line that runs to the
> sewer because iron was still in such high demand
> and expensive.
>
> Well, this orangeburg last only 50 years and then
> it starts to buckle, which means backups and
> eventually the sewage backs up into your house. We
> found that out the hard way and had to pay $4200
> to get 35 feet of it dug up in front of our
> house.
>
> The worst thing is that you don't know you have it
> because the outgoing lines are iron, but from
> outside the foundation to the sewage line was
> orangeburg. So when I went under the house, it
> looked like we had cast iron pipes, but only until
> it got out of the house.
>
> Our neighborhood has had several houses have to
> have their lines replaced in the front lawn in the
> last few years. Wish I had known that when we
> bought the house.

Bituminized fiber pipe (orangeburg) was invented in the 1860's but not widely used as sewer pipe until (as you said) after WWII until the early '70s, when PVC came into common usage. Before that it was mainly used as electrical conduit.

Orangeburg (like PVC) is susceptible to pressure deformation. That is why "bedding" it in sand or pea gravel was critical to it's durability. No doubt this wasn't done in many cases...leading to premature failure.

There's no perfect sewer pipe material, even cast iron rots out and is very prone to root intusion. We don't know how long PVC is going to last, the oldest installations are less than 40 years old.

My cast iron sewer line is on it's last legs, and I think I'm going to go with the "pipe bursting" method to replace it. A cone is pulled hydraulically through the old pipe bursting it. At the same time, a new HDPE pipe (better than PVC IMO) is pulled through. It costs more, but instead of digging up your whole yard, all they have to do is dig two small holes....saving your landscaping.

Posted by: One-Way ()
Date: November 17, 2010 06:08AM

You will very rarely see PVC used as a water service material -- CPVC, maybe. Polybutylene (PB) (Qest) was used some, but not much -- it's really pretty rare to find a PB water service. Even when PB was being installed inside new homes, the water services were either Polyethylene (PE) or Type "L" copper. The problem with PB is not the pipe, itself -- it is the plastic crimp fittings that were used on the inside of homes. Most PB water services don't have these fittings, so PB water services can last a long time. PE water services can also last a long time -- the problems with these are the insert fittings that were used and the manner in which some were installed. PE water services are famous for blowing apart at the couplings because of ground/structure settlement pulling them apart, and for splitting in places where too much stress was put on the pipe during installation. There are other common installation errors, but if your PE water service was installed properly, it can last a very, very long time. Copper is not the perfect material, either. It is subject to attack from high acidity in soil and various minerals and chemicals found in the potable water, itself. I have seen copper fail in bad soil in less than three years. I see pin holes daily on thirty-year-old copper, which start from the inside and work their way out. There are several causes of pin holes in copper.

If you want a water service that will last more than thirty years, use Type "K" copper, properly installed Polyethylene (PE) or High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2010 06:09AM by One-Way.

Posted by: Tami ()
Date: December 02, 2010 06:03PM

First off best deal dominion products can't beat it for the insurance
2nd k copper only way to go will will go 1oo years best company American plumbing that's all they do I checked with everyone bbb angies list checkbook there rated a plus and know of many many people who have used them you would never know they were there and the owners do the work great guys

Posted by: Elliott ()
Date: December 06, 2010 10:12PM

Can you get the Dominion Insurance if you currently have Orangeburg or do you have to have new lines first? I have had a backup and know I will have to replace. Can I get the insurance at this point? Thanks!

Posted by: Drew ()
Date: February 02, 2011 04:55PM

Just had this done myself because our water line broke and caused an ice slick down the street. We used a local company from Burke called Interstate Enterprises that I found on Angies List. The were able to drill the new line in underneath my driveway without cutting it. I got 5 quotes and they were by far the best value, I was not impressed by most of the plumbers that came out and didn't trust them to do a project this big. Toilet flapper, maybe, waterline hell no.

Posted by: go with copper ()
Date: February 02, 2011 05:12PM

There was a polybutylene class action suit quite some time ago - like late '90s. The class action suit is long since closed out.

I had it in a house that was built in 1980. It was the service line from the curb to the house. It lasted about 20 years - every single house in the neighborhood had to have it replaced - the pile of soil near the curb valve being the sign that another had gone bad.

You want to replace that with copper. Installed correctly, it will last forever.

Be happy you have it just in your service line - out West it was commonly used inside the house.

Posted by: Johnny W.Holmes ()
Date: February 02, 2011 06:25PM

I've been known to lay some pipe... I frequent Happyland drive

Posted by: SS ()
Date: February 06, 2011 08:30AM

$3700. Had to get it done last year. We are a good ways back from the street too (100 yards or so)

Posted by: KEITH ()
Date: July 07, 2011 01:51PM

To repair underground copper leaks require much digging plus the proper parts to make the repairs.Type k soft copper and CTS PACT JOINT COUPLINGS to make the repairs.This also depends where the leak is and what section of pipe needs to be replaced

Posted by: Gm Flores ()
Date: July 19, 2011 07:12PM

Water lines are developing pin holes. I'm tired of repairing these items..
What do I do? other than repalcing all the plbg(water lines) ???

Posted by: Sally jones ()
Date: August 07, 2013 01:42PM

Just to inform people use caution when using Brent mason contracting,for plumbing they are not licensed to do plumbing they have no plumbing license just don't want someone to get screwed like I did

Posted by: Mike Williams ()
Date: August 07, 2013 02:54PM

I also had Brent mason replace my water service bored u der home broke my sewer then denied any responsibility F never again would not recommend

Posted by: Cb ()
Date: August 07, 2013 03:48PM

Did have insurance when ours broke it got offered six months later. Used these guys and totally agree...they will do it right quickly, cheaply, use k copper, and they don't fuck around

Tami Wrote:
> First off best deal dominion products can't beat
> it for the insurance
> 2nd k copper only way to go will will go 1oo years
> best company American plumbing that's all they do
> I checked with everyone bbb angies list checkbook
> there rated a plus and know of many many people
> who have used them you would never know they were
> there and the owners do the work great guys

Posted by: Traci ()
Date: November 20, 2013 07:50PM

Water service broke last week. Agreed contract with American plumbing within two hours they were replacing my service there guys arrived about an hour later than the owner I looked outside and one of the owners Dan was excavating at the valve thing at the street himself. I was speechless to see an owner actually do the work said something to me... That he was willing to do what it takes and that he was no better than his helpers just thrilled me

Posted by: Not a Fan ()
Date: November 20, 2013 08:07PM

Whatever you do stay away from ALL American Drain adn Trenchless Tech out of Manasas...rip off artists, they prey off emergency calls

Posted by: ^ typo | SEO guy ()
Date: November 20, 2013 08:15PM

ALL American Drain and Trenchless Tech - rip off, scam, terrible avoid

underground water line repair terrible, avoid

Posted by: John Boundss ()
Date: November 21, 2013 11:25AM

+100

Posted by: Not a customer ()
Date: November 21, 2013 06:26PM

All American Drain sent some clown out to look at a backed up drain and couldnt get the cover off the main so had to call the owner to help. THis ass clown shows up and brags about how state of the art his equiptment and how much it all cost and that good stuff.
Says he paid 30 for the camera that goes down the drain...little research, you can pick one up for $1.500 at Furgusons.
Trying to validate the high prices..stay away

Posted by: Bill Stevens ()
Date: May 22, 2018 03:54PM

Premierewaterlines.com best claim coverage for water service home serve is the worst this company will cover and leave lawn like it looks awesome people and job

Posted by: Deductible on insurance ()
Date: May 22, 2018 05:45PM

Is there a deductible thru the dominion power insurance program?
Thanks in advance

Posted by: CUYPK ()
Date: May 26, 2018 12:00AM

^ typo | SEO guy Wrote:
> ALL American Drain and Trenchless Tech - rip off,

Who the hell would hire Arthur Trenchless for plumbing ?!?
That's for fish and chips, not pipes and shit!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.