HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Conference Center Dr Graveyards
Posted by: gravesss ()
Date: November 10, 2010 03:48PM

apparently theres a graveyard in the woods near conference center dr in Chantilly/Centreville. Has any body gone there and if so, who's buried there?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Conference Center Dr Graveyards
Posted by: Grave nonRobber ()
Date: November 10, 2010 04:08PM

I've been real close to there way before the place was built up (just the large building and the conference center, essentially - no big blue spy building etc on the east side yet) - it's at the top of the hill on the west side of the circle (inside the circle). Just a few graves, I believe.

I think this http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=38.876773,-77.464107&spn=0.000948,0.001287&t=h&z=20 is where it is (center of image).

If you zoom out of this image just a bit there are some interesting linear tree features - don't believe those are natural.

Posted by: bledbetter ()
Date: November 10, 2010 04:13PM

The linear patterns in the trees are from the farm fields that existed here up until 20 years ago.

1981: http://www.historicaerials.com/?poi=13615

Date: November 10, 2010 04:20PM

BTW, if you head northwest on Braddock Road by Cox Farms there's a small - I believe family - graveyard on the NE side http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=38.880668,-77.483422&spn=0.000952,0.001287&z=20&layer=c&cbll=38.880668,-77.483422&panoid=KsV9pjzmcxBbk39py3bxEA&cbp=12,35.63,,0,12.59 through the fence.

Date: November 10, 2010 04:25PM

[linear pattern explanation]

Very cool - thanks for the info.

Date: November 10, 2010 04:26PM

No problem! It's amazing how fast Chantilly transformed from a backwater into the tech central it is today.

Posted by: G ()
Date: November 10, 2010 04:31PM

Posted by: G ()
Date: November 10, 2010 04:46PM

Date: November 10, 2010 04:53PM

[and here's the one...]

Yup - just found it after reading 479 different descriptions of "Braddock Road" cemetaries using your previous post in this thread!

Thanks very much for the info - these multiple sources of local tidbit info IS the reason I started reading FFXU.

Posted by: hooper ()
Date: November 10, 2010 06:34PM

I remember this cemetary from before westfields existed - probably mid 80's I used to ride dirt bikes in that area. I remember the stone all being flat but large dating into the late 1700's. They were around a large tree and some were broken up pretty badly.

Posted by: newgatedenizen ()
Date: November 10, 2010 07:33PM

Yeah, I checked it out a year or two ago. Sadly, it's totally run down and most of the headstones are broken off and laying on the ground. There were a handful that were still clearly legible. Actually, it would not take much effort to clean the cemetery up and get it looking good. If I can find my pics I'll post a couple.

Posted by: lay ()
Date: November 11, 2010 01:30PM

Let us not forget the Hutchinson Cemetery just off Waney Road where they tore that big stone house down.

Date: November 11, 2010 01:40PM

Got a map, lay? I'd love to run by and check it out!

Posted by: historicfinder ()
Date: November 11, 2010 02:16PM

found some photos:

more: http://tinyurl.com/28sb5h6

Posted by: Henderson Drive in Clifton ()
Date: November 11, 2010 05:25PM

If you look close on Henderson Dr in Clifton near the place where they sold Christmas trees you can see from the road a little family plot. I have always wanted to check it out but I don't want to get shot by an angry homeowner.

Posted by: notdeadyet ()
Date: November 11, 2010 08:20PM

There's a neat little cemetery between Barnum Ln and Deming Ave on Lincolnia Road that has a Revolutionary War veteran buried there. There are a few headstones standing, but most are broken off - pretty sure it's an old family plot.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.