HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
why is there no support here for legislation to allow radar detectors?
Posted by: bv66 ()
Date: August 24, 2007 02:21PM

Question for drivers in Fairfax County only:

why is there no support here for legislation to allow radar detectors? (or more
precisely, removing the law that bans them)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: why is there no support here for legislation to allow radar detectors?
Posted by: OhYeah ()
Date: August 24, 2007 02:42PM

as a driver in fairfax county.....when do you actually get to drive above the speed limit on roads in the county anyways? too much congestion...no need for a detector if the flow of traffic won't allow you to even go the speed limit....

just food for thought....

Posted by: bdimag ()
Date: August 24, 2007 02:46PM

ya, because there isnt a post every other day with somebody trying to get out of a speeding ticket one way or another...

"he was wrong about the posted limit"
"he looked at me funny"
"he spelled my name wrong"

Posted by: lord fairfax ()
Date: August 24, 2007 05:05PM

radar detectors should be legal.... but you do realize they all use that laser gun now... lidar?? i think its name is

Posted by: Correct ()
Date: August 24, 2007 05:12PM

correct so radar detectors are about as useless as monster madhouse is.

Posted by: pyramids17 ()
Date: August 24, 2007 06:06PM

Radar detectors are for LOSERS!!!

Posted by: Take a Stand ()
Date: August 24, 2007 06:39PM

Yes, police are using LIDAR more and in more cruisers,

however it still requires an officer to actively aim the gun at a car.. unlike radar, a cop can just sit in his cruiser and do paperwork while waiting for the gun alarm to go off.

Also since LIDAR is basicly better than instant on radar, It is very difficult to catch it on your laser detector before they already have a lock on you speed.

There is another instant on radar called POP radar. and it is very hard to detect on regular radar detectors.. POP radar sends out a low power monitoring signal and when it detects a car over the speed it sends out the normal radar burst but only for a second until lock. This gives the hands-off ease of use like the regular radar with the sneakiness of instant on radar. The only problem is officers are trying to use the initial POP signal as a "radar lock", this is not useable in court, but hard to prove, thanks to our legislator taking away our ability to ask to see the locked in speed on the gun.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2007 07:04PM by Take a Stand.

Posted by: Space Ghost ()
Date: August 24, 2007 09:29PM

Well, I don't think the speeding laws are perfect, but why would we have them and then allow people devices to circumvent them? There are some people who drive dangerously fast and they shouldn't be able to do so with impunity. Methinks someone who gets so many tickets that they would spend money on a detector is probably not driving safely.

I've only had one ticket, and I more or less deserved it considering the conditions. (17 over and it was raining.)

Posted by: Schrute ()
Date: August 25, 2007 04:32AM

Radar detectors should be illegal in all states, even the People's Republic of Fairfax. The ONLY use for the device is to allow the user to exceed the speed limit and avoid getting caught. (No one give me the "warns me of accidents ahead BS either). Second of all, if an officer is using radar effectively, radar detectors will not detect it until its too late. Modern speed radars are equipped with a "hold" button which allows the operator to essentially stop the radar beam but keep power to the unit. When the officer observes a vehicle exceeding the speed limit, he should wait until the vehicle is in range, depress the hold button sending the radar beam out, getting the true speed of the vehicle almost instantly. The radar detector goes off at the same time the officer observes the speed on the unit. A lot of cops just leave the radar on while they are writing reports - like someone posted earlier - which leads everyone to believe that radar detectors work all the time.

Also, LIDAR detectors can work, but mostly do not. LIDAR is ALWAYS off until the operator activates the unit. A LIDAR's beam will only be 3 feet wide at 1000 feet - which is why they are so accurate. Tracking history again starts with an officer observing a vehicle exceeding the speed limit, the officer will then aim the LIDAR device and activate the unit. The LIDAR beam travels at the speed of light so as the beam is reaching the car, it is essentially arriving back at the LIDAR unit once again warning the driver at the same time he is being caught.

Good radar detectors used to warn drivers a good ways away because "extra" radar waves would be bouncing all around when the radar was emitting them, but LIDAR is a straight shot. Whatever is not reflected directly back at the LIDAR unit will either be refracted or absorbed and the chances of it making its way down the road to a LIDAR detector are virtually nill.

Moral of the story: Go the speed limit and enjoy the beautiful scenic views this wonderful county has to offer!

Posted by: 4wheeler ()
Date: August 25, 2007 06:47AM

bv66 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> why is there no support here for legislation to
> allow radar detectors? (or more
> precisely, removing the law that bans them)

I thought it was your contitutional right to drive like an asshole. Why do you need a law now (or lack of) to allow you to use a radr detector? Watch, here it comes the other excuses "it'll save me from getting a speeding ticket" well, jackass, if you were not speeding you would not get a ticket.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: August 25, 2007 12:19PM

"People's Republic of Fairfax."

LOL!

"The LIDAR beam travels at the speed of light"

pff... lasers are fast but they dont travel at the speed of light. they are fast but not that fast. this clearly depicted in Over the Hedge.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: not too smart ()
Date: August 25, 2007 10:15PM

Schrute Wrote:
> The ONLY
> use for the device is to allow the user to exceed
> the speed limit and avoid getting caught.

Yeah, so what's your problem, granny? How's about getting in the right lane and STFU.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: August 25, 2007 10:40PM

I'd never buy one, but it's pretty ridiculous that a person can't own a radar detector. Technology should never be banned just because our government can't adapt.

Date: August 26, 2007 12:22AM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> I'd never buy one, but it's pretty ridiculous that
> a person can't own a radar detector. Technology
> should never be banned just because our government
> can't adapt.

Same principle applies to owning body armor. You can own it and wear it, but it is illegal when you wear it during the commission of a crime. Technology is not illegal, but using it to assist you in breaking the law is...

Date: August 26, 2007 08:41AM

but using it to assist you in breaking the law is...

You can get busted for having a radar detector even if you're not speeding.

Date: August 26, 2007 06:11PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> but using it to assist you in breaking the law
> is...
>
> You can get busted for having a radar detector
> even if you're not speeding.

You can only be charged with it if it is in use, or near an available power source. If it is in your glove box, or your trunk, mere possession is not illegal...

previous | next

§ 46.2-1079. Radar detectors; demerit points not to be awarded.

A. It shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle on the highways of the Commonwealth when such vehicle is equipped with any device or mechanism, passive or active, to detect or purposefully interfere with or diminish the measurement capabilities of any radar, laser, or other device or mechanism employed by law-enforcement personnel to measure the speed of motor vehicles on the highways of the Commonwealth for law-enforcement purposes. It shall be unlawful to use any such device or mechanism on any such motor vehicle on the highways. It shall be unlawful to sell any such device or mechanism in the Commonwealth. However, provisions of this section shall not apply to any receiver of radio waves utilized for lawful purposes to receive any signal from a frequency lawfully licensed by any state or federal agency.

This section shall not be construed to authorize the forfeiture to the Commonwealth of any such device or mechanism. Any such device or mechanism may be taken by the arresting officer if needed as evidence, and, when no longer needed, shall be returned to the person charged with a violation of this section, or at that person's request, and his expense, mailed to an address specified by him. Any unclaimed devices may be destroyed on court order after six months have elapsed from the final date for filing an appeal.

Except as provided in subsection B of this section, the presence of any such prohibited device or mechanism in or on a motor vehicle on the highways of the Commonwealth shall constitute prima facie evidence of the violation of this section. The Commonwealth need not prove that the device or mechanism in question was in an operative condition or being operated.

B. A person shall not be guilty of a violation of this section when the device or mechanism in question, at the time of the alleged offense, had no power source and was not readily accessible for use by the driver or any passenger in the vehicle.

C. This section shall not apply to motor vehicles owned by the Commonwealth or any political subdivision thereof and used by law-enforcement officers in their official duties, nor to the sale of any such device or mechanism to law-enforcement agencies for use in their official duties.

D. No demerit points shall be awarded by the Commissioner for violations of this section. Any demerit points awarded by the Commissioner prior to July 1, 1992, for any violation of this section shall be rescinded and the driving record of any person awarded demerit points for a violation of this section shall be amended to reflect such rescission.

(1962, c. 125, § 46.1-198.1; 1975, c. 108; 1976, c. 90; 1978, cc. 87, 91; 1981, c. 303; 1989, c. 727; 1992, c. 825; 1998, c. 300.)

previous | next | new search | table of contents | home

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: August 26, 2007 08:00PM

Except as provided in subsection B of this section, the presence of any such prohibited device or mechanism in or on a motor vehicle on the highways of the Commonwealth shall constitute prima facie evidence of the violation of this section. The Commonwealth need not prove that the device or mechanism in question was in an operative condition or being operated.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: August 26, 2007 08:22PM

But,

B. A person shall not be guilty of a violation of this section when the device or mechanism in question, at the time of the alleged offense, had no power source and was not readily accessible for use by the driver or any passenger in the vehicle.

Date: August 26, 2007 09:01PM

Schrute Wrote:
> § 46.2-1079. Radar detectors; demerit points not
> to be awarded.

So yes, in other words they have outlawed technology. Thanks for affirming.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2007 09:01PM by TheMeeper.

Posted by: Wakeup Call ()
Date: August 26, 2007 09:25PM

Back when he was in college my 26 year old had a hard time with speed limits. At the advice of one of my HS friends who is now a lawyer, I got the kid a radar / laser detector, not so he could beat the cops, but as a reminder to watch his speed. It worked and eventually trained him to stay within the limit. He lost the detector years ago, but hasn't had a ticket since I gave him the detector. They are not necessarily these evil devices some of you are making them out to be.

Date: August 26, 2007 09:57PM

They are not necessarily these evil devices some of you are making them out to be.

Exactly. A taxpayer should have the right to buy a free market product that alerts them that they are being surveilled. Whether it's by the govt. (cops), a company, or some weirdo- I should be allowed to detect whatever I feel like detecting, for whatever reason.

I agree with larger penalties for folks that use them to break the law. That is reasonable. But for the govt. to use this whole "prima facie" cop-out, that is bullshit.

For the record, I'd never own one, I think they are a waste.

Posted by: pyramids17 ()
Date: August 26, 2007 11:01PM

Wakeup Call Wrote:
> I got the
> kid a radar / laser detector, not so he could beat
> the cops, but as a reminder to watch his speed.

Dear Wakeup Call,
Give your kid a Wakeup Call and tell him his car has a dashboard. On it he'll find useful information such as a "speedometer", "fuel gauge", "engine temperature" and several other helpful tips. With those fine peepers he can LOOK at his speed! A radar detector detects radar. It doesn't watch your speed for you. My car CAME with something to watch speed with--I didn't have to buy a pointless aftermarket speed watcher! God bless you.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: August 27, 2007 05:03AM

pyramids17 Wrote:
> Wakeup Call Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> > I got the kid a radar / laser detector, not so he
> > could beat the cops, but as a reminder to watch
> > his speed.
>
> Dear Wakeup Call,
> Give your kid a Wakeup Call and tell him his car
> has a dashboard. On it he'll find useful
> information such as a "speedometer", "fuel gauge",
> "engine temperature" and several other helpful
> tips.

LOL!

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: August 27, 2007 01:46PM

Radar detector are a joke these days. When I was in college I had a detector and I could pick up radar waves a mile away. Plenty of time to slow down.

Now with the high tech narrow beam lasers your lucky if you pick up the signal before it hits your car and bounces back.

Posted by: slinkeyts ()
Date: August 27, 2007 02:05PM

they have no use...

Date: August 27, 2007 02:57PM

Lurker Said
"Radar detector are a joke these days. When I was in college I had a detector and I could pick up radar waves a mile away. Plenty of time to slow down."

Technology de-evolves?????!

Radar detectors , detect radar signals.. particually X,K, Ka bands. And these detectors have become more and more sensitive over the years..
Lets take the "Valentine 1" RD (radar detector) It can pick up a single radar burst from an instant on gun from over 2.5-3 miles away. It is also the leader at picking up errant laser 'scatter' ( still limited to Line of site).

Bell Labs/Valentine One/ Passport, all have continued to improve there design to pick up on or defeat the changes made by the gun companies, like POP signals or tighter frequency Ka bands. Even advancement in preventing false alarms and not being detected by the Radar detector detectors...lol I no joking. its called the VG-2 interceptor and yes virginia has them!! SO new Valentine Ones has whats called.. get ready..lol the radar detector detector detector..lol aka, stealth detector.

The other day I took my old detector out (passport, top of the line circa 1988) and set it next to my 2007 valentine One, Not only did the older one have many false alarms, It didnt pick up a radar gun I pointed at it from over 500 yards away.

Laser is a totaly differant topic..With most cheaper Laser detectors, when you hear the alarm, you are already busted. However, with a good Laser Detector,luck, and a fast reaction time, You can beat it.A LIDAR gun takes about a .5- 1.5 seconds to aquire a 'lock' on target. In that time you can slow down a little, every bit helps. You could also get lucky and detect the scatter from a car up ahead.

So in conclusion, yeah those older detectors are Soooo much better!! (Sarcasm)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2007 03:25PM by Take a Stand.

Date: August 27, 2007 03:24PM

"Detectors are just for speeders and Hooligans"
"If you have one then you are guilty of speeding"
"Radar Detectors are useless"

LOL you all crack me up..
If it is such a problem, and all the above was true, then why are they only illegal in 1 state our of 50 and one Distric. ( Virginia, DC)

Im not much of a speeder, on interstate I stay at or Below 70mph,
Then why would I have a use for one if I dont speed?

Im not much of a speeder, I didnt say Im perfect. Let take FFx Co Pkwy for example. The under rated speed limit is 50mph, but nearer sprngfield the avg traffic speed is ~ 55-65. The FCPD just loves to sit in their hiding spots and walk out into traffic to pick one out of the pack for just keeping up with traffic. Wouldnt it be nice to have even the slighest advantage in a system tipped in favor of the Police. We are not even allowed to look at the"locked in" speed on the radar or Laser gun any more.. give me a break.

How can one see this as wrong,evil, or that I must be a bad driver if I have one or I must be out to break the law..etc

I see it as restoring the balance of power.

I drive a freakin Volvo 240 for god sakes, I cant speed..lol..but my weekend car is a mustang 5.0..hee hee.

Posted by: Wakeup Call ()
Date: August 27, 2007 08:50PM

pyramids17 Wrote:

> Dear Wakeup Call,
> Give your kid a Wakeup Call and tell him his car
> has a dashboard. On it he'll find useful
> information such as a "speedometer", "fuel gauge",
> "engine temperature" and several other helpful
> tips. With those fine peepers he can LOOK at his
> speed! A radar detector detects radar. It doesn't
> watch your speed for you. My car CAME with
> something to watch speed with--I didn't have to
> buy a pointless aftermarket speed watcher! God
> bless you.

Pyramids

I understand that for some of us the world is a place void of primary colors or shades of grey. Let me assure you that my son was made aware of the dashboard gauges, but for him the auditory signal worked as a better reminder when it came to his speed. With the detector he actually began thinking about his speed the minute he started the car and the dectector chirped.

In general I happen to agree with you and I do not use a dectector myself either. I just don't understand why you care so much if I spend a couple a bucks extra to keep my kid more attentive on the road. If it keeps him mindful of his speed, and therefore road safety in general, isn't that one of those things that should go in the "good thing" column?

If this truly does bother you, please try to take a deep breath and relax. It was years ago and nowhere near the great state of Fairfax.

Posted by: joe ()
Date: August 28, 2007 10:51PM

How much over the speed limit is considered speeding?

At what point do you become a "speeder?"

Date: August 29, 2007 12:37PM

joe Wrote:
> How much over the speed limit is considered
> speeding?
>
> At what point do you become a "speeder?"

Ah yes , Two questions that man has pondered for the Ages..

Is it speed that is the question or matter only the exceleration...oh to speed, to drive, to swerve in heavy traffic...

LOL.. sorry, Ive been reading some Shakespear for school.

Date: August 29, 2007 12:57PM

Take a Stand Wrote:
> LOL.. sorry, Ive been reading some Shakespear for
> school.

Who's Shakespear?

Date: August 29, 2007 02:44PM

joe Wrote:

> Who's Shakespear?

Are you busting me out for not putting an 'e' on the end , or are you another fine product of the Fairfax County School system ..

just in case
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakespeare

Date: August 29, 2007 02:51PM

Take a Stand Wrote:
> Are you busting me out for not putting an 'e' on
> the end , or are you another fine product of the
> Fairfax County School system ..

I'll leave that decision to you.

Date: August 29, 2007 03:16PM

Either way you come out the losing end..

"but you cant make'em learn"

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.