HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Raw Fear [Halloween Candy]
Posted by: Peekaboo ()
Date: October 31, 2010 08:54PM

I've been giving out candy for more than 20 years in Fairfax county and I think tonight has been the most fear-ridden Halloween yet. I've never seen so many adults (parents, I'd presume) displaying actual fear to their kids as they frantically examined each piece of candy put into the EMPTY containers the kids were carrying.

One even shown a flashlight on me even though I have every light in the first floor as well as the outside lights turned on. A couple drove their minivans into the pipestem driveway near where I live rather than just wait on the street (rather than walk with their kids, for that matter).

How manny razor-blades-in-apples have EVER been given out by a house in Fairfax county during Halloween?

How many poisined candy has EVER been given out by a house in Fairfax county during Halloween?

How many child kidnappings/assaults of any kind have EVER occured AT a house giving out candy in Fairfax county during Halloween?

SHeesh.

That's all, just sheesh.

[in other news, bought three boxes of full-sized candy bars at Costco and gave out essentially all of it - so THAT remains a good sign]

edit by Cary: Added "[Halloween Candy]" to the subject line for list-page clarity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2010 10:56AM by Cary.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw Fear
Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: October 31, 2010 08:58PM

Were they really examining the candy as you gave it to them? When I was a little kid, my parents would look through my candy after I got home and dumped it all out, but NEVER would they do something like that at the house giving it out. That really is absurd!

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Posted by: T2T ()
Date: November 01, 2010 10:58AM

Our neighborhood was pretty cool in regards to parents and their children. I guess there's a lot of trust on the street I live on. A few of the groups of parents were actually drinking glasses of wine as they walked along. My wife tried to offer them refills, too.

Posted by: Chug-a-lug ()
Date: November 01, 2010 11:15AM

If you're paranoid then trick-or-treating is not for you in the first place.
I too bought a megabag of milky way's at Costco and only had about 20 or
so trick-or-treaters so I guess we'll have to eat the rest all by ourselves.
DARN! Most all of the kids had their parents with them which is good. At
least we didn't have any "trickers".

Posted by: Peerkaboo ()
Date: November 01, 2010 11:25AM

> ...I too bought a megabag of milky way's at Costco and only had about 20 or
> so trick-or-treaters so I guess we'll have to eat the rest all by ourselves.
> DARN!...

Lol! Yes, we always buy boxes of our fave candybars figuring there should be SOME left so we'd just HAVE to finish them ourselves if we didn't give them all out. This time, however, we gave out about 80 so had maybe a dozen or so left (about 30 bars/box, I think, on average for the type of candybars we buy). Unfortunately, MY favorite bar was completely given away...sob.

The fear-filled parents were indeed checking the candy RIGHT THEN and the kids containers were EMPTY beforehand because that way the parent could know what THAT house placed in them - part of the fear.

[for those who care about such things, the neighborhood is pretty good about ending the event before 21:00 - very few kids, even teenyboppers, still going around after that time - we lights out fairly promptly at 21:00]

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: November 01, 2010 12:30PM

I never check my kids' candy. The odds of them getting a poisoned Milky Way or whatever is so remote it's ridiculous, especially in our neighborhood. I know...that sounds totally crazy. But I don't live in fear. Unless I go to Springfield Mall after dark.

Date: November 01, 2010 12:44PM

Warhawk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I never check my kids' candy. The odds of them
> getting a poisoned Milky Way or whatever is so
> remote it's ridiculous, especially in our
> neighborhood. I know...that sounds totally crazy.
> But I don't live in fear. Unless I go to
> Springfield Mall after dark.

I heard somewhere that the whole "razor blade in the apple" story was an urban myth and that there's never been an instance of a kid coming to an ER with a razor blade in his or her mouth from an apple.

As for the candy, I don't check either. Who the fuck would be stupid enough to give poisoned candy to a kid in their neighborhood?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2010 12:45PM by WashingTone-Locian.

Posted by: i 1 2 ½ 6 ()
Date: November 01, 2010 01:19PM

why the fuck would you give out an apple on halloween

Posted by: FUNdamental ()
Date: November 01, 2010 01:32PM

Warhawk Wrote:
> I never check my kids' candy. The odds of them
> getting a poisoned Milky Way or whatever is so
> remote it's ridiculous, especially in our
> neighborhood. I know...that sounds totally crazy.
> But I don't live in fear. Unless I go to
> Springfield Mall after dark.

While counting my oldest son's candy last night, he came across a Reese’s peanut butter cup package that had colored eggs and a basket on it “ala Easter.†You may want to check.

Posted by: xkxkxkx ()
Date: November 01, 2010 01:33PM

Some kids have severe peanut allergies, so I could understand parents checking for that.

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: November 01, 2010 01:37PM

I check all my trick or treaters for automatic weapons. You can never be too careful.

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: November 01, 2010 04:08PM

I only remember having to throw out a few pieces of candy each year, due to questionable issues (Wrapper broken open, etc.).

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Date: November 01, 2010 04:15PM

i 1 2 ½ 6 Wrote:
> why the fuck would you give out an apple on
> halloween

Have you ever tried to hide a razor blade in a Baby Ruth? It's hard to get between all of those fucking nuts!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: November 02, 2010 07:39AM

I like my fear more medium-rare.

HARF HARF HARF

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.