HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
What's Captain Pell's like?
Posted by: Crabs crabs crabs ()
Date: October 26, 2010 04:36PM

Been driving by that joint for 20+ years, never gone in:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=38.861548,-77.296402&spn=0.000948,0.00131&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=38.861548,-77.296402&panoid=c0bI167ZFdNV60EEu4PE8Q&cbp=12,187.08,,0,7.3

or their site:

http://www.captainpell.com/

BTW - that image shows an empty parking lot - I've NEVER seen the parking lot empty!

What's it like?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What's Captain Pell's like?
Posted by: Name ()
Date: October 26, 2010 04:39PM

It's awesome. It's not a top of the line restuarant but the food is DELICIOUS. They have a very loyal following it seems like. If you are in the mood for good crabs it's definitely worth the trip.

Posted by: What? ()
Date: October 26, 2010 06:10PM

I've been there, for the unlimited crabs..

Don't order them.

All you get is a bunch of light crabs with no meat in them.

Otherwise, they're good.

Posted by: hooper ()
Date: October 26, 2010 08:07PM

I have been to their "newer place" a few times in the past few years - It was good order your crabs by the dozen - the jumbos are good but expensive. Like someone else said the all that you can eat are small and light. I remember going to the old Pells next to the hounddog phonograph - long time locals will remember that.

Posted by: gh ()
Date: October 26, 2010 08:21PM

"hounddog phonograph"

That was Nipper.

Nipper - the icon for RCA Victor records and a painting called His Masters Voice.

I think I read that Nipper is now in Baltimore.

One of the streets in the condos where Nipper once resided is called Nipper Way--long live Nipper!

Posted by: Ensign Pell ()
Date: October 26, 2010 09:15PM

Yeah, it is not fine dining, but what crab place is? They have the best crabs that you will find west of the Maryland Eastern Shore. Beers are about 4.25 a bottle, so be sure to add on a $20 or so bar tab on top of the crabs that you order (as others have mentioned, by the dozen only). Steamed shrimp, hush puppies and fries are standard grade fillers.

Their current location lacks the ambiance ofa true crab shack, like the one they used to have over on Lee Hwy near Merrifield, and Nipper, but they have managed to turn the previous German/European restaurant into a noisy, banging place.

They have a basement private "dining room" that is more reminiscent of a crab shack, but I do not know the details as to how to get that room. I once went to a terrific party held down there, but it was for one of their most valued customers, so I don't know if the experience would always be the same.

Posted by: hooper ()
Date: October 26, 2010 09:46PM

Thanks for reminding me of the name "nipper"

Good memories - as I recall there was a "get us the hell out of the U.N " billboard right before pells at least until the early 80's.

Posted by: Vienna N8iv ()
Date: October 26, 2010 10:06PM

There were tiny shack houses in a row right next to it. There was a triple murder/suicide in 1973, an ex-con shooting up the place.

Posted by: whatzit tooya ()
Date: October 26, 2010 10:53PM

Good crabs if you order by the dozen- the feast is "ehhhh". You'll have to pick through an average of 3 light crabs per dozen of the smallest males. If you like to get straight to the good part like me, best to just order a dozen jumbos and go to town- then you can take your leftovers home with you! Can't do that with the feast! :) All the platters have been excellent- no complaints. Sides too!

Staff were very nice and attentive to my miller lite needs- made sure I was never empty! If you're thinking about DWI though- don't. Cut yourself off after 1-2 if you are driving yourself home. Fairfax Co's finest love to sit out there on that stretch of 29 especially later in the evening as there is also PJ skadoo's and other bars and grills nearby. In my case, I rode with a non-drinking friend since I knew I was gonna get smashed while watching the 'skins play. :)

Parking can be tricky, especially on friday/saturday/sunday. If going with a group of more than 6, make a reservation if you can! Wait times can be upwards of an hour! I'd say everyone pile into the minivan or SUV and avoid taking 2-3-4 cars due to the parking.

Carryout is pretty quick, but best to call ahead to make sure they have what you need and then place your order over the phone. Otherwise when you order you will be sitting at the bar for a good 30-40 minutes waiting as they gotta cook for in-house customers first, i think. They did offer me a free soft drink and a small basket of hushpuppies or fries to munch on while I waited since it took so long which was nice.

I still say the crabs at the DC wharf (captain white's anyone?) are cheaper, but if you don't feel like making the trek or are tired of the tiny crabs they sell at the grandmart/h mart/whatever ethnic mart you go to, pells is it. :)

Posted by: One-Way ()
Date: October 27, 2010 06:41AM

Captain Pell's may not be what it was, but it's still the best crab place around here.

I did like the atmosphere of the old location. Does anybody remember the hard times hotel right next door? Do you also remember when some guy murdered his whole family in that dump?

Does anybody remember when the "new" Captain Pell's building was built and opened as "Old Budapest?" Do you also remember when a Fairfax City cop slammed into a limo, (carrying a whole family from a wedding rehearsal dinner) pulling out of Old Budapest, killing (IIRC) six people?

Those were the days.

­
Posted by: chuckhoffmann ()
Date: October 27, 2010 07:23AM

­

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2013 10:01PM by chuckhoffmann.

Posted by: Bow Hunter ()
Date: October 27, 2010 08:08AM

Captain Pell's was the place my girlfriend took me this year for my birthday since I'm a huge crab lover.
Walked in and the place was completely empty, except for us and the staff was particularly inattentive. (I'm still confused if the place is seat yourself, we waited for a couple of minutes at the front desk area then sat ourselves, got a snide comment from the waitress about doing whatever we want?) After we were seated the waitress was fine and kept us refilled and kept the crab coming (Even though we wanted her to stop bringing the crab)
The crab, may be the worst crab I've ever had in my life.. ever. I'd buy from giant food before I go there again. The meat wasn't cooked all the way through and was slimy and mushy. We had to pick through the meat in order to find meat that was even edible. Probably the only place I've ever ordered the all you can eat , ate less than 5 and told the waitress to take the plate she just brought back and ask for the crabs to be cooked until they are done. Which they still didn’t do.
Very low marks in my opinion, I’d suggest just going to the Warf and getting them from a place that can actually cook.

Posted by: One-Way ()
Date: October 27, 2010 08:21AM

chuckhoffmann,

I remember the accident you reference, as well. I will do some research later and try to find the accident I am talking about. The two happened very close, in time, to each other. Who knows -- this happened in the hazy days of my youth, so I am very likely inaccurate.

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: October 27, 2010 09:00AM

All you can eat crabs is a guarantee for frustration. You're always given the smallest crabs in AYCE deals and you will be picking for hours in the amount of time it would take to the meat out of a dozen larges or jumbos.

Date: October 27, 2010 09:16AM

When I lived in Bowie heading down to The Wharf was a regular thing (for both crabs and fish). After moving to Centreville that pretty much ended. Instead, there was a truck parked on Route 29 near, I think Jermantown Road that sold crabs - it would come and go and, I believe, is long gone since that particular spot may have been "developed".

As someone noted above, buying the crabs and cooking them yourself really is the only way to go.

I appreciate the responses about Pell's.

So, is the Wharf the only reliable place to buy crabs or would any of the 4000 asian markets within walking distance do, too? [my family pretty much lives, breathes, and eats food from these places so have no qualms about their (almost always totally female (it's an "asian thang") crabs if they're a bargain]

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: October 27, 2010 09:23AM

Super H mart et al sell very small crabs...

Just go down to the SW Waterfront. I bought 48 larges for about $65 not too long ago - steamed and ready to eat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2010 09:24AM by ITRADE.

Posted by: Bow Hunter ()
Date: October 27, 2010 10:24AM

I used to buy from an asian market and even had them cook them for me. They were surprisingly good even though you had no idea what they weere saying.
PEE IN CWABS?! PEE IN CWABS!?
No don't pee in my fucking crabs!
PEE IN CWABS?! PEE IN CWABS?!

Market I used to buy from since closed, haven't found another good one, and at 80 bucks a pop I'm not inclinded to try a lot.

Posted by: Wino2010 ()
Date: October 27, 2010 11:01AM

If you're willing to drive a little ways out, Crosby's in "Manassas" is really good (it's sort of in the Dumfries part of Manassas off the 234 bypass) as is Blue Ridge Seafood in Gainesville on Rt 29.

Date: October 27, 2010 11:09AM

I just remembered that another place I used to get crabs was right down Route 28 near all the antique stores (south of 29). On the left heading south was a mini-strip-mall with a "seafood" joint smack dab in the middle. If I remember correctly it was cheap and, of course, easy to get to - maybe run by a Vietnamese guy. I don't know if that same location sells crabs however ownership for sure has changed (now a Hispanic joint). Might have to swing by there to see if they're in the seafood business...

Date: October 27, 2010 11:15AM

Yeah, that was "Something Fishy". The name used to always crack me up "Sumsing Feee Sheee". But it closed down years ago :(

Date: October 27, 2010 11:25AM

Google street view fuzzily suggests SOME sort of crab place is still there:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=38.799358,-77.446986&spn=0.000949,0.00131&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=38.799358,-77.446986&panoid=i0zal--vmnoBwIeeUwAn9w&cbp=12,78.86,,0,9.24

Might need to zoom into that to make out "CRAB" maybe?

Date: October 27, 2010 01:25PM

Hmm, well, maybe I'm thinking of another place. Something Fishy was in a strip mall on Rt 28 between Old Town Manassas and Wellington Rd.

Date: October 27, 2010 02:08PM

> ...Wellington...

Yeah, that would be well south of where I'm talking about - though the appearance of the place has changed (looks like they put up a facade and roof to spiff things up), I believe that google maps image is is the correct location.

Posted by: neit ()
Date: October 27, 2010 11:54PM

They have the freshest seafood of any restaurant in the area

I just ate there Sunday.. They have all the on huge flat screens.

Awesome

Posted by: Ftyo ()
Date: July 31, 2011 06:34AM

This place is delicious. For those expecting white glove service, don't come here. For those expecting AYCE crabs to be jumbo is quite frankly stupid.

If you order by dozen you get awesome crabs. Factor in your time , traffic and the undesirable elements at the wharf in Dc and one quickly realizes Capt Pells is an excellent establishment to have nearby.

Also the other seafood items are great.

The staff and owners aim to please.

I am taking the family today. The critics can go to the wharf and wait in line with the food stamp recipients while they yap about baby easy dis and baby momma dat.

I prefer the Cap

Posted by: nait ()
Date: July 31, 2011 10:08AM

What? Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've been there, for the unlimited crabs..
>
> Don't order them.
>
> All you get is a bunch of light crabs with no meat
> in them.
>
> Otherwise, they're good.

that was the story last year,
ive been to pells 3 -5 times for the all you can eat this year alone.
they are shipping them in from lousiana so they dont have the bay blue crab sweetness but they aer HEAVY and definately Lump this year. Thats whyve ive been so many times already and the crabseason is kickin for a good few more months!!!
I love me some bluecrab

Posted by: Joe B. ()
Date: July 31, 2011 10:54AM

Wegmans -- anyone have their lobster or scallops? They cook em up there too.

Posted by: nait ()
Date: July 31, 2011 11:18AM

Joe B. Wrote:
> Wegmans -- anyone have their lobster or scallops?
> They cook em up there too.

had their shrimp and scallops yesterday. very fresh/good & big!

i think the scallops wer 15.99 a lb and the shrimp were 14.99

let them marinate in some wasabi terriyaki - skewed em on the barbie

Posted by: Liiiop ()
Date: July 31, 2011 11:04PM

Went thcre for dinner tonight.

You can seat yourself although there was a host.

Lots of parking.

Hot meaty crabs with corn included.

Friends got snow crabs and three orders of hush puppies. Kids played video games and played juke box.

Everyone was happy when we left.

I am taking my inlays when they come next week.

Wegmans is rip off. Do the math

Posted by: aoegne ()
Date: August 01, 2011 12:15AM

We went recently and thought it was awful. Everything tasted the same and the crabs were tiny. Definitely not a place to go if youre hungry. It was also pretty dirty. Definitely wouldnt go again.

Posted by: Spacy ()
Date: August 01, 2011 02:52AM

There's a place near Ft. Meyer that is better.

Posted by: Sigmund ()
Date: August 01, 2011 06:50AM

I remember when this building was a Chinese restaurant called Shun Lee. Can anyone who has been there recently tell if there are any Chinese decorations still up? I guess it closed because people 'shunned' the place. Any good memories of Shun Lee?

Posted by: yeppers ()
Date: August 01, 2011 09:37AM

Spacy Wrote:
> There's a place near Ft. Meyer that is better.

yep, And those of us in the know, know to keep the place near ft. myer quiet. we don't want the place being over run by wanna be crab eating yuppies.

Posted by: crabgal ()
Date: August 01, 2011 01:34PM

Quarterdeck in Arlington.

AYCE crabs are the best there. hands down over capt pells. im dead serious.

Posted by: Got Crabs? ()
Date: August 01, 2011 04:27PM

All You Can Eat Crabs are not the way to go; Order a half dozen Jumbo per person and you will have a much better meal. When Emeril is in town he goes to Capt Pells

Posted by: Raisenettes ()
Date: August 01, 2011 04:34PM

My only gripe is one of the male servers there is about as slow as can be.
Once you get your crabs he doesn't pay attention to you until there's a pile of shells. Hard to get refills,whether beer or soda or water. And it's almost impossible to get some fucking saltines or some mayo/vinegar(for some sauce.
Most of the severs are poor in maintaining a full beverage, and seem to only be interested in you up until you get your crabs, And then only after youve got a ton of empty shells.

This place would rock it had better talent (titties)

Anyone else ever notice girls dress up a LOT to go there? Bathrooms use to be a dump...not so bad now tho

Posted by: PeoplesDrug ()
Date: August 01, 2011 10:39PM

ChuckHoffman and OneWay:

The triple murder-suicide happened in those tiny houses behind the dog statue.

Ruth Sherman was the dishwasher at Peoples Drug, where I was a soda fountain (The Arbor Room) waitress. Her husband shot her, their son who'd just been released from jail, and their daughter in law Becky (who was also a waitress at People's) and then killed himself.

Strangely, I looked in the data base someone posted a link to here about a month or so ago, and searching for the years 1973-1974, could find no record.

Date: January 28, 2012 05:34PM

I was surprised by the way one of the managers treatedvme just now. I gave him my credit card and my tax exemption card. When he finished swiping my credit card he didn't return my tax exemption card. I told him that i didn't get the tax exempt card but he insisted on saying that the card was already given to me. But later on he searched and found that the card was still on the counter. He threw the card to me without apologising. What a bad manner. I don't think that I will go or recommend this eatery to any of my colleagues or friends.

Posted by: hamairudin@yahoo.com ()
Date: January 28, 2012 06:51PM

Of course, another self righteous foreigner thinking they can waltz around and all people should bend over for them and spread eagle.....hey hamairudin@yahoo.com OR hamairuddin@yahoo.com, go back to inida, please.

Posted by: roeEater ()
Date: January 28, 2012 07:03PM

Raisenettes Wrote:
> My only gripe is one of the male servers there is
> about as slow as can be.
> This place would rock it had better talent (titties)

The new stock assessment sets a new healthy-species abundance level of 215 million female crabs, with overfishing occurring if 34 percent of the female crabs are harvested in a year. Put into context, this means that fishery managers have only come close to achieving this level of female abundance three times over the past 22 years, in 2010, 1993 and 1991.

http://dnr.maryland.gov/fisheries/news/story.asp?story_id=179

Date: January 28, 2012 07:05PM

Hamairuddin Ramli Wrote:
> I was surprised by the way one of the managers
> treatedvme just now. I gave him my credit card and
> my tax exemption card...

You raise an excellent question that MAY have been answered indirectly by the jerk who first replied to you:

"Is Captain Pell's tolerant of non-whites?"

Posted by: VD is for Everybody ()
Date: January 28, 2012 07:28PM

I got crabs at Capt. Pell's!

Don't go home with Nancy she's the one who gave them to me.

Posted by: artie lange ()
Date: January 28, 2012 08:01PM

Nancy gave me soft shelled crabs

Posted by: hamairuddin ()
Date: May 25, 2012 09:41AM

I believed the jerk who answerd me could be the one who threw the card to me.....hahahahaha. What a bad manner you have.

Posted by: colie ()
Date: August 22, 2014 01:22PM

Sigmund Wrote:
> I remember when this building was a Chinese
> restaurant called Shun Lee. Can anyone who has
> been there recently tell if there are any Chinese
> decorations still up? I guess it closed because
> people 'shunned' the place. Any good memories of
> Shun Lee?

Our family dined at Shun Lee pretty often when I was young. In my opinion, the food was amazing though I was only around five when we went all the time so my tastes could be called into question. Either way, the older lady who worked there was the sweetest person ever and always made me some sort of delicious tea that I've never had again. As soon as I walked in the door she was off to get my
"Special tea." I wish this place was still around to take my family to.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.