HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Free TV?
Posted by: SecondLife ()
Date: August 13, 2007 09:55PM

We bought a 2nd home on a rural piece of land. Can you still buy a satellite dish and get free tv anymore or is everything scrambled these days? Because we only spend weekends there, doesn't make sense to spend 30-40/mo in two places.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Free TV?
Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: August 13, 2007 10:39PM

anymore or is everything scrambled these days?

LAST CALL FOLKS

Posted by: CoastiewithdMostie ()
Date: August 14, 2007 09:21AM

It used to be if you do not have it "professionally" installed, the programming is where your mailing address is. If you buy the reciever and dish and set up your account through your home address it should receive DC channels. My stepfather would move his from home to the boat and recive Nashville stations in Florida.

But now with at least with DISH you need a second dish for local stations. I'd talk to a vendor and see. Either way if you install one dish, you had pratice for the second.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: August 14, 2007 09:54AM

Exactly. Your local channels are based off of your billing address. If you can get your hands on an additional DirectTV or DishNetwork Dish, install it yourself, all you need to do is bring a receiver with you when you go out.

Posted by: UM ()
Date: August 14, 2007 10:58AM

Get Free to Air Satelite system for 400$ andnever pay anything again

Posted by: SecondLife ()
Date: August 14, 2007 12:09PM

UM, Not too familiar with how this works. Do you need to move the satellite to point to the signal you want? I found this listing: http://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/United-States.html

Any particular system you like? I really only care about News and Football :-) when I'm out there.

Thanks!

Posted by: G-Man ()
Date: August 14, 2007 01:09PM

I think he was talking about analog old skool sats not direct TV.

The answer is you will not get much more then broadcasters and live feeds. Lots of cable channels have moved to DigiChiper systems that you cant get. But you still can get lots of stuff just not what you might want to see.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.