HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
drowning????
Posted by: wanna know? ()
Date: October 16, 2010 06:15PM

helicopters and rescue boats are searching sandy run RP?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: drowning????
Posted by: Facts ()
Date: October 16, 2010 06:27PM

Sounds like a boat flipped about a hour ago around that area and the person is missing in the water.

Posted by: scanner ()
Date: October 16, 2010 06:41PM

scanner- 2 people missing, boat found flipped 1 mile south of fountain head.

Posted by: scanner ()
Date: October 16, 2010 06:45PM

scanner- now 1 missing

Posted by: 6hX77 ()
Date: October 16, 2010 07:06PM

Fairfax 1 looking everywhere and can't find anything. I think the individual drown deep in there.
Good scanning guys!
1805 Fairfax one going back to base to re-fuel.
Sory to hear that. I could be a another fairfax Hs dude.

Posted by: Seeker ()
Date: October 16, 2010 07:19PM

The Occoquan Chase, a rowing head race, was scheduled for Sandy Run today. It is not uncommon for a single or double shell to flip, but rowers are instructed to stay with their boat which leads me to believe that there was some sort of medical emergency. Still, there should be safety launches every 500-750 meters monitoring the race course.

It will be interesting to learn whether these rowers were part of the race or, possibly, returning one of the boat houses and outside the oversight of race officials.

Posted by: n9Y7h ()
Date: October 16, 2010 08:11PM

I heard the wife of the drowned victim talking to EMS from 414. He wanted to row the course of the race today, he wanted to be ready for tomorow's race.
I can only assume the race is tomorow?
Shit man, I think he is gone. They found the boat and the oars altogether.

Date: October 16, 2010 08:37PM

My mistake...I got the date wrong...the Occoquan Chase is tomorrow which makes this a bit easier to understand. Frankly, I am not surprised that there are not more accidents like this at Sandy Run given how many single scullers are out there. The Occoquan is surprisingly large and there are many places that you can tuck into and be out of sight.

The first thing that everyone learns when they row a single or double is how to get back in when (not if) you flip. However, this points more to a medical emergency of some sort. A very sad start to the weekend.

Posted by: PDwtl ()
Date: October 16, 2010 10:51PM

It really sucks. I can only imagine a floating body as the race takes place..

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: October 16, 2010 11:13PM

FFX 1 is returning to scene to check again.

Date: October 16, 2010 11:22PM

PDwtl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It really sucks. I can only imagine a floating
> body as the race takes place..

Search resumes in the morning, but I cannot imagine that they will hold the race if the woman's body has not been recovered. According to NBC4 the victim is a 65 year old woman.

Posted by: iscull ()
Date: October 16, 2010 11:49PM

Yes...great lady, Julia Shew: http://www.row2k.com/news/news.cfm?ID=57262
spoke to her as she left the dock today...she was going for a row to Fountain Head and back...winds were very high...can only speculate what happened. Not looking good at all.

Posted by: SheSkullsHarder ()
Date: October 17, 2010 12:10AM

Wormfood

....or fishfood?

Posted by: Qwest ()
Date: October 17, 2010 12:15AM

Boating in high winds is never a good idea - Julia Shew has sculled many miles over her lifetime, but none are as monumental as those she will row at the end of the 2010 season. To celebrate her 65th birthday in October, Shew plans to complete her quest to scull 3,000 miles in one year -- the equivalent of going from her hometown of Larkspur, California to Fairfax, Virginia.

Posted by: Popper ()
Date: October 17, 2010 07:19AM

I'm sure she'll "pop up" somewhere near there soon!!

Posted by: Priapus ()
Date: October 17, 2010 07:31AM

Posted by: Facts ()
Date: October 17, 2010 09:16AM

As a productive member of society and not some skeezy, drug dealing robber (like a nother topic started a few days ago) I think we should show some respect for the lady.

Posted by: YourSistersFacts ()
Date: October 17, 2010 09:28AM

You should reread the other thread. Apparently dealing lot isn't considered selling drugs because pot isn't a drug! So the only people who die are the loved, caring, and saintful. The rest of us who surviv are just a bunch of unworthy criminals.

Posted by: Damn it!! ()
Date: October 17, 2010 11:44AM

YourSistersFacts Wrote:
> You should reread the other thread. Apparently
> dealing lot isn't considered selling drugs because
> pot isn't a drug! So the only people who die are
> the loved, caring, and saintful. The rest of us
> who surviv are just a bunch of unworthy criminals.

Learn how to spell. Only a monkey could decipher what your wrote. Do yourself a favor and get hooked on phonics.

http://www.hookedonphonics.com/hooked-on-spelling -

Here is a link for the spelling edition suited for your needs

Posted by: Joe B. ()
Date: October 17, 2010 12:08PM

I hope she is not deceased and her accomplishments are impressive. accomplished roweR -- OR OSor is it "sculler"? A grad of UCB to boot. The bright side would be that there is one less lib in the country.

Posted by: themuse ()
Date: October 17, 2010 01:10PM

PDwtl Wrote:
> It really sucks. I can only imagine a floating
> body as the race takes place..

yea, whatta way to mess up a race.
thanks, lady.

yeefuckinghaw

Re: drowning
Posted by: RAM ()
Date: October 17, 2010 01:21PM

Hope they find her, she's the sweetest lady ever....
And whoever making those snide remarks about her body popping up and floating by, go rot in hell, have you any decency??

Posted by: Bobo ()
Date: October 17, 2010 01:32PM

Damn it!! Wrote:
> Learn how to spell. Only a monkey could decipher
> what your wrote. Do yourself a favor and get
> hooked on phonics.
>
> http://www.hookedonphonics.com/hooked-on-spelling
> -
>
> Here is a link for the spelling edition suited
> for your needs

Very racially motivated towards monkeys!

Posted by: Thesculler is a dead faggot ()
Date: October 17, 2010 09:53PM

Too bad it wasn't the sculler floating facedown.

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: October 17, 2010 09:57PM

You should never go on or into the water by yourself. Even when I've taken a kayak out onto a lake by myself, I've always made certain that somebody I know on-shore is keeping an eye on me. The same goes for whenever I'm boarding or swimming in the ocean.

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Posted by: Voter____ ()
Date: October 18, 2010 08:52AM

Is anyone else frightened by the idea that the Washington Post is now regularly quoting from FFU?

Someone who posted a comment on a Fairfax area Web site reported speaking to Shew as she left the dock Saturday. She "was going for a row" to Fountainhead and back, the comment said. It said "winds were very high."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/17/AR2010101703844.html?hpid=sec-metro

­
Posted by: chuckhoffmann ()
Date: October 18, 2010 09:33AM

­

"Only good things can come of more communication." - Cary Wiedemann, March 3, 2005

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2013 09:44PM by chuckhoffmann.

Posted by: Sawbuck ()
Date: October 18, 2010 11:49AM

I agree.............. Julia is a very nice lady and doesn't deserve the ugly things you people are saying about her.

Posted by: may2010 ()
Date: October 18, 2010 12:45PM

too damn bad,,,,,when you row or what ever without saftey devices you take chances,,,,I hope no one gets hurt during the search operation because of this self center dumb ass

Posted by: YC7xv ()
Date: October 18, 2010 01:11PM

Holly cow!
I thought so. One day community forums full of smart young and even older guys would have mire reliable information for recent events. If I know something about anything I'd rather posted here than anywhere else.

Posted by: prtstrbrd87 ()
Date: October 19, 2010 03:06PM

as a coach for a high school rowing team, i teach NEVER row alone. always have a body on land or in a launch. have a whistle on your person bc the radio may get wet.

my rowers have to row the same water she was hiding in and i know they have the ulitmate respect for a fallen rower. I pray they find her and that her family may have peace. I have a feeling that since she was sooooo experienced that she had a medical emergency and tipped. since there are nothing but stumps she most likely hit her head, or got trapped under water by roots. from personal experience, trying to kick off the bottom with silt and mud make it very hard (sculling experience) i was under for a long time before i could free myself. quite scary.

my thoughts and prayers are with her rescuers. I pray they have the sight to see thru the mud and the muck and the patience to persue on until she is laid to rest or brought to safety.

tg

Posted by: prtstrbrd87 ()
Date: October 19, 2010 03:15PM

as for the comment about safety devices. she should of had something on (small & lightweight as to not hinder her row) but saying she was "self centered" to not wear anything is extremely rude. people make mistakes. Atleast she told someone she was getting on the water that morning, where is this person? why hadnt he/she check for her? he couldve been her rescuer if she was checked on.

rowers dont wear floation devices, it interferes. it may have been a good idea to wear a water-proof strobe.... but no turning back time. time to press forward and finish the search. i am glad they still held the race. if it were me i wouldnt want it any other way....

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: October 19, 2010 03:22PM

Worm food - river version.

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: October 19, 2010 10:17PM

"as a coach for a high school rowing team, i teach NEVER row alone. always have a body on land or in a launch. have a whistle on your person bc the radio may get wet."

Or in the water in this case.

Posted by: It happens ()
Date: October 19, 2010 10:23PM

she could have had a seizure or a heart attack then drowned. I was fishing with a friend a few years back and he had a seizure and just fell into the water. I had to hold his head out of the water until another boat pulled up. Now he always wears a life jacket. He is lucky he is alive

Posted by: hungry worm ()
Date: October 19, 2010 11:20PM

Fish food.

Posted by: interest ()
Date: October 20, 2010 07:20AM

any new word? ive been looking and cant seem to find any. do ya'll have access or is this just a site for specualtion and rumor? i agree with the high school coach tho and i bet she wouldve been the rescuer if she were there. i think mr/ms fisty, that you should be a little more repectful of the situation. i am also an avid rower and we as a rowing community are all concerned for her.

Posted by: stones ()
Date: October 20, 2010 11:58PM

What if she was the only person in this area who was "taken" and the rest of us have been "left behind". Perhaps the Apolcalypse has begun...

Posted by: fishin fool ()
Date: October 21, 2010 06:40AM

so is it not regular practice to wear a life vest while performing this exercise? I keep hearing she was an experienced boater. Why no vest then? Vest now days are compact, light weight, and even made to self inflate when 2" of water is detected. I can't help but wonder why a experienced boater would not be wearing one. I'm wondering if this is something else all together. Perhaps a kidnapping is not out of school to suggest.

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: October 22, 2010 02:17PM

R.I.P.

Body Recovered in Search Operation

West Springfield Police District – On Friday, October 22 around 10:25 a.m., police personnel recovered the body of a female near the shoreline of Fountainhead Regional Park, located at 10875 Hampton Road.

Police and Fire initially responded on Saturday, October 16 for a report of a missing boater. Around 5: 26 p.m., employees of the Sandy Run Regional Park determined that 64-year-old Julia Shew was missing and located her capsized boat near the Fountainhead Regional Park. Search and rescue operations began on water and land with the land search continuing until midnight. The search has continued during daylight hours, every day since then.

The search operation utilized police and fire marine units, police divers, the police helicopter as well as fire department logistical support personnel. In addition, Fairfax County was assisted by the Washington D.C. Metropolitan Police with its harbor patrol unit.

Official identification of the recovered body will be performed by the Chief Medical Examiner’s offic

Posted by: Fate ()
Date: October 22, 2010 02:23PM

I believe I heard a police call - "Fairfax One"? - about this this morning.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.