HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Scott Secules ('84) NFL QB went to Chantilly or South Lakes?
Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: October 04, 2010 11:31PM

Scott Secules ('84), was an NFL quarterback (1988–93) drafted by the Dallas Cowboys who played most of his career with the Miami Dolphins.

So I know Scott Secules Dad coached at South Lakes in the 80's. Didn't his son also attend SLHS and play South Lakes Football before switching to Chantilly High School?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Scott Secules ('84) NFL QB went to Chantilly or South Lakes?
Posted by: Chargers ()
Date: October 05, 2010 09:28AM

He went to 'tilly, then to UVA. His high school coach was Ken Poates who bailed the 'tilly after Secules graduated and went to WT Woodson where he destroyed the football program which had been one of the most successful in the Northern Region for the previous 22 years (only 2 losing seasons). Poates inherited a playoff team from John Cox that featured All-American Andy Heck and at least four other players that went on to play D-I or D-IAA football but couldn't managed another playoff shot in his 8 years (of which only 4 were winning seasons) He set the Woodson program back for a good 10 years.

Posted by: atoms ()
Date: October 05, 2010 08:24PM

His dad, Tom Secules, was my 9th grade (1968) P.E. teacher at Annandale High School.

Rumor at the time was that Tom was drafted by the Green Bay Packers, but was cut. Could have been true, he was a BIG sumbitch.

Date: October 05, 2010 08:30PM

Tom Secules was quite an imposing presence. Tall and tan and in great shape. They used to call him the Golden Greek at AHS.

I can still visualize the guy 40+ years later. I wonder if he's still alive?

Posted by: Receding or not receding? ()
Date: October 05, 2010 08:48PM

atoms Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tom Secules was quite an imposing presence. Tall
> and tan and in great shape. They used to call him
> the Golden Greek at AHS.
>
> I can still visualize the guy 40+ years later. I
> wonder if he's still alive?

I wonder what his hairline looks like.

Posted by: Football ()
Date: October 05, 2010 09:03PM

Tom Secules was chosen to teacher at South Lakes when it first opened in 81. The South Lakes principal had his pick of Fairfax teachers. This was back when Reston was all rich CEO's & Congressman sons and daughters.

I know Secules teached PE at South Lakes for at least 5 years. He was a big son of bitch and was completely bald.

Reminded me of George C Scott in Patton. Great guy and fantastic PE teacher.

Date: October 05, 2010 09:30PM

Receding or not receding? Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wonder what his hairline looks like.

It would be hard to tell, unless he let his hair grow. Even back in 1968 he either shaved his head (not common in those days) or had it cut it as tight as electric clippers will cut. I doubt he was bald back then, he was a young guy, late 20's, early thirties maybe

Posted by: Pcharger ()
Date: February 15, 2011 03:58PM

Scott went to Chantilly not South Lakes where his Dad taught. I know, I was one year behind him at Chantilly. I also went to elementary school and played youth sports with him. He was also a pretty good catcher for the baseball team at Chantilly.

Posted by: Freebird 80 ()
Date: February 15, 2011 07:32PM

Coach Tom Secules WAS an imposing fugure as Atoms mentioned. He taught PE in early 80's at South Lakes along with Coach Crupper and some others whose names I cannot recall. Coach Secules was a leader from what I remember. Remember, that he had an odd scar on one of his legs/calves... looked like marbles under his skin. Blast from the past and wondering where all the South Lakes coaches from early 1980's ended up?

Posted by: Dolphins ()
Date: March 20, 2012 07:19PM

I know for a fact that Tom is alive cause he is my dads step grandfather and he did play for greenbay was drafted in 1959 by Lombardi and Scott is also my uncle an he played NFL also but Tom was drafted into Venom or something so he never got to play

Posted by: Sgt.Slaughter ()
Date: March 20, 2012 08:17PM

Drafted by the Pack in 59? Doubt he was a casualty of the Vietnam war draft, as only 100 Soldiers were in S. Vietnam by 61.

Date: March 21, 2012 07:53AM

Are you actually going to doubt at what I just said. Did you read it he's my step grandfather I see him all of the time including my uncle. He was drafted in 59 in the 17th round like the 162nd pick and couldn't go cause he couldnt play because e was drafted into war.

Posted by: Dolfan ()
Date: March 21, 2012 08:15AM

Dolphin:

I don't want to get you angry, and I don't doubt you at all that he is your Grandfather's step father.

I am interested in the "war draft" part, simply because I am a student of the Vietnam war and that era...did he get drafted into the Army (as people did back then) without being sent to Vietnam, or, did he get sent to Vietnam?

As Sgt Slaughter suggested, that time frame (early '60's) was before large number of draftees were being sent to Vietnam...that started to occur some 4-5 years later. The time frame of the early '60's consisted largely of advisors, special forces teams, and RED HORSE teams (including in Thailand)...those were construction teams. Not draftees, generally, though. As a matter of fact, in the early '60's, it was still possible for dependents (that is, children and wives) of military and embassy personnel to accompany their fathers/husbands to Vietnam. So, no, draftees weren't being sent to Vietnam yet. Wasn't yet really a warzone until Gulf of Tonkin incident in '64, I believe, and then, at least early on, the military response was primarily Air Force and Navy.

BTW, I happen to remember Scott fairly well. Favorite receiver at Chantilly and UVa was Keith Mattiolli, drafted by Cowboys, played for New England Patriots and Dolphins, fund raiser at SMU, etc...

Date: March 25, 2012 12:41PM

Ok good

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.