HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Reckless Driving Report on FFX County Website
Posted by: daily commuter ()
Date: July 27, 2007 03:48PM

I was wondering how well the reckless driving report page works on the County Website. I've used it once or twice, but the thing is - you never know if it actually did anything. I wish they could post something or send you an e-mail at least saying they checked up on the car or whatever.

Obviously that is impossible, but wouldn't you like to know they at least saw what you were reporting?

And I'm not one to report someone for speeding 5, 10, or 15+, but I am talking about people who go 55 in a neighborhood or have passed me on a two lane road, that kind of crazy stuff which is just uncalled for.

Anyone know the logistics of the website, how often it is checked, if the report goes straight to the cops, that kind of stuff?

I've called directly before to a dispatcher while following a "suspected" drunk driver (ran a red-light, no lights on, swerving) and within 5 minutes, cops got the car! I drove away when I saw the cops, but I was glad to see they actually kept up with a call like that - it was on 50 so I guess it isn't that hard to ask the cops already on the highway to check it out.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reckless Driving Report on FFX County Website
Posted by: MBF ()
Date: July 27, 2007 04:36PM

It goes right to the FCPD and a letter goes to the registered owner of the car if the descriptions of type of car match the plate number you provide. When I worked for the county board of supervisors we would get complaints from people who received the letters, LOL.

Posted by: derrick ()
Date: July 29, 2007 08:25AM

daily commuter,
while im glad that got the suspected drunk you reported that would be the unusual situation. you see most of the time fcpd is understaffed and it is difficult to have a cop go on an aggressive driver rpt.

the most likely scenario where an aggressive driver would by caught is by the motor squad or another officer on general patrol. when you call the dispatcher center about an aggressive driver the dispathcer will enter the call with the info you give then will send a computer message to the units in the area, most of the time the units in the area look at the message, then continue on with whatever they were doing before hand.

the worst thing you can do is to follow these people because first you are putting yourself at risk, second you are going to agitate the already aggressive driver, and third when you make a report of something like that you need to understand that the police may not be coming because they are busy dealing with other issues.

Posted by: barracuda ()
Date: July 30, 2007 11:41AM

MBF -- Elaborate on what you said about the people who received these letters complaining about it. Exactly what did they have to complain about? It fascinates me that someone who was called out on their irresponsible driving actually has the audacity to complain about being called out on it.

Now that I know this exists on Fairfax's website, I will definitley utilize it on extremely blatant offenders. I know if I received a letter from the county, it would make me think twice about my driving habits.

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: July 30, 2007 01:45PM

barracuda Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> MBF -- Elaborate on what you said about the people
> who received these letters complaining about it.
> Exactly what did they have to complain about? It
> fascinates me that someone who was called out on
> their irresponsible driving actually has the
> audacity to complain about being called out on it.

I don't have any first hand knowledge of complaints, but I can tell you that first off, this page is ripe for abuse. Think about this - If you, being a good driver and all, got a letter from the FCPD saying that you were recklessly driving in a school zone, and you knew you weren't, wouldn't you complain?

Wouldn't you be somewhat concerned that since the FCPD sent you a letter, that somewhere in some police computer system you had been flagged as a reckless driver, even though you weren't? It would seem to me this letter serves as an accusation, albeit without obvious penalty. And as such, violates the spirit of the sixth amendment right to "...be confronted with the witnesses against him"

If you see reckless driving, why not just call 911?

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: August 01, 2007 04:55AM

trogdor! Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you see reckless driving, why not just call
> 911?

"yeah, im on interstate 495 and you better get the whole fleet out here because there are reckless drivers everywhere!"

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: myspaceaddict ()
Date: August 02, 2007 06:35PM

#77 for interstate calls... va state pd handles those, not fairfax county.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.