HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Moving Back...
Posted by: Mynamaborat ()
Date: July 27, 2007 01:35AM

Well here is my story. I was born here (Fairfax Hosp.) and lived in Fairfax Central for 15 years of my life. Now 6 years later I am moving back because Florida's work force sucks for public safety positions. Now here is my question... I hate the stupid personal property tax thing. How long can I keep my Florida plate on my car without getting busted. Also is there any was I could get a VA. liscense while still getting around this "tax" and registration/inspection issue. It sure would save me a hell of alot of money...

-Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Moving Back...
Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: July 27, 2007 06:32AM

Mynamaborat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well here is my story. I was born here (Fairfax
> Hosp.) and lived in Fairfax Central for 15 years
> of my life. Now 6 years later I am moving back
> because Florida's work force sucks for public
> safety positions.

why would anyone move to a hellish place like florida? if it isnt the seasonal hurricanes coming to destroy you and/or everything you have, it's the blazing sun of death. wtf were you thinking?!

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: July 27, 2007 08:20AM

if you are in the military you dont have to change your tags. That or the Government. Otherwise Suck it up and pay the GodDamned tax like everybody else you fuckin Mooch.

Posted by: bdimag ()
Date: July 27, 2007 09:53AM

hope the florida drivers didnt rub off on ya.. you'd be screwed

Posted by: solution ()
Date: July 27, 2007 10:25AM

As someone who has lived in NoVA my whole life, I say stay in Florida. You want to move back, I assume, to to get a "public safety position." Out of curiousity, how do you think public safety positions funded? So, let me get this straight -- you want to move back to NoVA to get a public safety position which is funded by me and all my fellow tax payers, but not pay into the system that provides you with a living. It really shows how deeply you care about the community you plan to serve in the public safety arena. If everyone cheated the system like you, how would it be possible to pay for public safety positons?

Date: July 27, 2007 05:15PM

Eh, I like Fairfax I guess. I didnt mean in any fact to cheat out the county forever. I was asking more for a certain time limit.

Posted by: pyramids17 ()
Date: July 27, 2007 06:03PM

Mynamaborat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I didnt mean in any
> fact to cheat out the county forever. I was asking
> more for a certain time limit.

I totally believe you.

Posted by: OhYeah ()
Date: July 28, 2007 03:28PM

can you get a va license without having your cars registered here?

yes.

how long can you wait before you have to switch your tags over before you get a tickie?

law says you shall change your registration within 30 days after establishing residency in the state. but who knows how long it would take for a cop to stop you and give you a ticket. could be years. i always see people driving out of state vehicles with local stuff on the windows(high school booster stickers, etc).

Posted by: duh ()
Date: July 28, 2007 03:48PM

Hey, somebody tell this guy that the personal property tax is a minor irritant nowadays since the State picks up most of the tab. Unless your ride is valued at over 20 grand (I think).

Date: July 28, 2007 04:30PM

Thanks for all of the info. I appreciate it. I should be there Wednesday. Yayy for the autotrain, ugh...

Posted by: WashingToneLocian ()
Date: July 28, 2007 05:13PM

Think of it this way. What does a ticket cost for having out-of-state plates? I would venture to guess that it is a hell of a lot cheaper than paying Virginia's state property tax. I would take a shot at not switching the plates over until it becomes an issue.

Posted by: cw ()
Date: July 28, 2007 06:50PM

Someone you will work with is going to see your florida tags and wonder why they should pay taxes while this new guy screws the system.

BTW you cannot prepay the no county sticker charge until you show proof you have paid the back taxes owed the county and are up to date on current taxes. Like posted above unless you have a costly vehicle why not pay it.

Bottom line is you will be earning a salary paid for by others who did pay the tax and you will be writing tickets for people like you who dont pay the tax. If you dont have a moral problem with that rock on.

Posted by: duh ()
Date: July 28, 2007 06:54PM

I know a guy that lived here for 10 years and never changed his North Carolina tags for Virginia.

It's pretty easy to get away with in this crowded area....plus there are a zillion military personnel around here that legally can maintain their home state tags. Which, incidentally, are almost always Florida or Texas due to those States not having an income tax. So,around here, a Florida plate arouses zero suspicion on the part of the po-po. Get a local bumper sticker or two and slap 'em on there....they'll think you're military.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.