HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
do you guys tell people that you're from Washington, because they have no idea where Fairfax County is?
Posted by: Lunchmeats ()
Date: July 26, 2007 11:51PM

do you guys tell people that you're from Washington, because they have no idea where Fairfax County is? (and it takes too much energy to explain to these geography-challenged people?)

I wish once day Fairfax County can be as well know as Orange County, California, or Westchester County, NY.... yes, I know I'm dreaming.... :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: do you guys tell people that you're from Washington, because they have no idea where Fairfax County is?
Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: July 27, 2007 02:11AM

i tell people fairfax if they are inside the metropolitan area. if not, i tell them in northern virginia, right next to DC. some people (internationally) dont know our states' names, so i tell them im right by the capital of the USA. if they still dont know, i tell them im in the middle of the eastern seaboard of the USA.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Re: do you guys tell people that you're from Washington, because they have no idea where Fairfax County is?
Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: July 27, 2007 06:25AM

I almost always say I'm from the "DC-area", that's usually the least confusing way to describe it to people. There have been times when I've said Northern Virginia and then have been asked "Near where?".

Lunchmeats Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> do you guys tell people that you're from
> Washington, because they have no idea where
> Fairfax County is? (and it takes too much energy
> to explain to these geography-challenged people?)

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: July 27, 2007 08:21AM

I just dont tell people where im from.

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: July 27, 2007 08:32AM

Depends on who I am talking to. I say I'm from X which is about 20 miles from Washington DC in the US when I travel internationally. Everybody knows where Washington DC\Capital of the US is.

Posted by: Lester Burnham ()
Date: July 27, 2007 08:34AM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> I almost always say I'm from the "DC-area", that's
> usually the least confusing way to describe it to
> people. There have been times when I've said
> Northern Virginia and then have been asked "Near
> where?".
>

I do the same thing, although my wife will usually adds that we are from Northern Virginia. This is not a big deal if you meet someone on VT's campus who might have a clue, but few people from outside the area know that Northern Virginia is not simply the top half of the state above Southern Virginia.

Hell, I was at a meeting in Bristol last month and I had no friggin' idea where Southside was when someone told me that was where they were from and he assumed that Northern Virgina was anything north of where he lived.

Posted by: bdimag ()
Date: July 27, 2007 10:48AM

I just jump the gun and wear a hat that says "Northern Fucking Virginia" when i travel..

Posted by: Dirty Jersey ()
Date: July 27, 2007 12:42PM

I tell them Northern virginia, near DC

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: July 27, 2007 12:55PM

no

Posted by: G-Man ()
Date: July 27, 2007 01:19PM

I think its stupid to tell people that you are from DC... I've punched several of my friends in the face when I hear them tell people that. If I say I'm from Fairfax and they don't know then I educate them. If they still don't get it I punch them in the face. Its amazing how fast they get it at that point.

Oh Virginia... So you live on a farm!

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: July 27, 2007 02:47PM

G-Man Wrote:

> Oh Virginia... So you live on a farm!

"You have ponies! Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!"

Eh...No, but I know where there's a huge concrete horse head.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: July 28, 2007 02:35PM

G-Man Wrote:
> I think its stupid to tell people that you are
> from DC... I've punched several of my friends in
> the face when I hear them tell people that.

seek help before you pull a columbine/VT. if not, please post right before you go on yoru rampage so that the site will make the news again. :)

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: Patio Furniture ()
Date: July 28, 2007 02:58PM

"Fairfax in Northern Virginia. About 15 miles outside of Washington DC"

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.