HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
I live in Fairfax, why do I have to put up with license plate that says "Jamestown" ?????
Posted by: lunchmeats ()
Date: July 26, 2007 07:34AM

When will the VA DMV stop this "Jamestown" madness?

I was born in Fairfax County and I have always lived in Fairfax County.

Why do I have to put up with having to use license plates that say "Jamestown" ?????

Sure, I can get other plates, but there's a charge for anything other than the standard issue plate with "Jamestown" on it.

It's about time the DMV starts issuing the plain old license plate with just "VIRGINIA" and the plate numbers...

Just my $.02 :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I live in Fairfax, why do I have to put up with license plate that says "Jamestown" ?????
Posted by: cw ()
Date: July 26, 2007 08:08AM

I heard that DMV had printed alot of Jamestown plates as special order types. Then no one wanted them so DMV was stuck with so many they started issuing them as regular plates.

Re: I live in Fairfax, why do I have to put up with license plate that says "Jamestown" ?????
Posted by: Lunchmeats ()
Date: July 26, 2007 08:12AM

IIRC, DMV had plans to issue a "Fairfax County" license plate. In the end, they couldn't find enough people willing to purchase that plate, so the plan was scrapped....

I would gladly pay $10 or $25 extra to proudly display "Fairfax County" on my license plates!

Date: July 26, 2007 08:21AM

Found it here:

Article and picture of the proposed Fairfax County license plate on Page 4

http://www.fairfaxcountyeda.org/publications/pros2q02.pdf

Apparently they couldn't find 350 Fairfax County residents who were willing to pay for it...

:(

Posted by: bdimag ()
Date: July 26, 2007 08:26AM

well if the design didnt blow - i'd rock it

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: July 26, 2007 10:03AM

what really sucks is that you cant pay for a plate that is blank. i agree that the jamestown plates are fucking retarded.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: July 26, 2007 02:01PM

you all act as if its a real imposition to have "Jamestown" on your fucking license plates. Get a god damned life!

Date: July 26, 2007 02:07PM

because part of having a life means no complaining about anything ever...

Date: July 26, 2007 02:17PM

bdimag Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> because part of having a life means no complaining
> about anything ever...

which includes complaining about people complaining.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Date: July 26, 2007 02:21PM

so good.. none of us have lives then (by definition)

Posted by: lil ()
Date: July 26, 2007 04:20PM

LOLUMAD??!?

Posted by: cw ()
Date: July 26, 2007 05:15PM

Except for high taxes, gridlock, strip malls and illegals what else if fairfax famous for?

There is no beach, no mountains, no real downtown, no event center to speak of, no sports team etc. Mostly fairfax is one home after another with no real character. A bedroom community for DC

Posted by: pyramids17 ()
Date: July 26, 2007 06:31PM

Uh well speaking on the topic, the DMVs are run by the Commonwealth, not by Fairfax County, and you have a Virginia license plate. Jamestown is 10 times more important than Fairfax County in terms of Virginia history and heritage. So they aren't targeting you because you live in Fairfax. The plates are statewide, and for good reason. But I would pay for a FFX plate. No doubt. The closest thing to it now is one the says "City of Fairfax"

Posted by: big burke redneck ()
Date: July 26, 2007 07:08PM

Gravis,
How were your ancestors able to crawl out of the primordial ooze?

Pro People, Life and the rest. I am not pro stupid-so Gravis I am not on your side-get back under the rock you came out from.

Date: July 26, 2007 07:12PM

big burke redneck Wrote:
> Gravis,
> How were your ancestors able to crawl out of the
> primordial ooze?
>
> Pro People, Life and the rest. I am not pro
> stupid-so Gravis I am not on your side-get back
> under the rock you came out from.

What the FUCK are you talking about?

Posted by: duh ()
Date: July 26, 2007 08:04PM

It is odd that the tiny City of Fairfax has enough people willing to pay to have a tag....while HUGE Fairfax County doesn't.

Mmmm, come to think of it, I wouldn't pay extra either...

But the Jamestown thing doesn't bug me....lots of states have stuff like that on their tags.

Posted by: ffxn8v ()
Date: July 26, 2007 08:25PM

I thought the original Jamestown tags were lame withthe red text at the bottom. The new ones have even more about the "celebration" on them.

When I bought another car in Feb., I almost took an old set of VA tags to the DMV and just transferred them to the new car.

Posted by: HIGHWAY RESIDENT ()
Date: July 26, 2007 10:25PM

I got new license plates the other week and they had Jamestown on them, I was salty to say the least...

Date: July 26, 2007 11:43PM

I still have a set of license plates from a car that I no longer own. The
plates were issued in 1985. The DMV website shows that plate number is
currently available. What do I need to do to use those old plates on my
new car?

Right now, I'm using the ugly Jamestown plates, but with an oversized license
plate frame that covers up the bottom parts that says Jamestown...

ffxn8v Wrote:
> I thought the original Jamestown tags were lame
> withthe red text at the bottom. The new ones have
> even more about the "celebration" on them.
>
> When I bought another car in Feb., I almost took
> an old set of VA tags to the DMV and just
> transferred them to the new car.

Posted by: Gripes ()
Date: July 27, 2007 10:30AM

Because you live in Virginia (yes, Fairfax is part of Virginia). If only people in Jamestown had the Jamestown license plates two people would have them. Aside from the park ranger, nobody lives in Jamestown.

Date: July 27, 2007 10:51AM

Lunchmeats Wrote:
> I still have a set of license plates from a car
> that I no longer own. The
> plates were issued in 1985. The DMV website shows
> that plate number is
> currently available. What do I need to do to use
> those old plates on my
> new car?
>

i would think if you just told them you have the tags already - they wont send you more.. besides.. if they send you new ones - and you use the old ones (with the stickers obviously) - whos to say they are not official? i dont think you'd ever have a problem...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2007 10:52AM by bdimag.

Posted by: 4wheeler ()
Date: July 27, 2007 11:10AM

cw Wrote:
> Except for high taxes, gridlock, strip malls and
> illegals what else if fairfax famous for?

A very large about of people that live everyday complaining about everything.

> There is no beach, no mountains, no real downtown,
> no event center to speak of, no sports team etc.
> Mostly fairfax is one home after another with no
> real character. A bedroom community for DC

If you don't like it and live in FFX Co....move the fuck out

Posted by: MBF ()
Date: July 27, 2007 12:20PM

cw Wrote:
> Except for high taxes, gridlock, strip malls and
> illegals what else if fairfax famous for?

I believe the proposed Fairfax County plates were going to say something about being the home to the Bill of Rights. So, there's something, LOL.

Personally, I like the area cause it's basically in the middle of many of the things you say it's lacking...I can easily drive to all the things you name that it's missing.

EDIT: The traffic is hell though. However, that's (including strip malls, taxes and illegals) not unique to FFx Co.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2007 12:21PM by MBF.

Posted by: JigSAW ()
Date: July 28, 2007 11:31PM

Who fuckin cares what your license plate says?? If you want to change it then just pay the damn $10 and get the leaf one or blue ridge one or something. Why the hell would you want to have Fairfax County on your plate also?? Jeez, some of you people swear that Fairfax County is the center of the freakin universe or something!

Date: July 28, 2007 11:35PM

Oh and nice comment CW, you really hit it on the mark, this place really does SUCK, period. Only reason I still live here is cause I'm finishing up college at Mason and living with my parents, who happen to live here. Once I graduate, I am gettin the hell out and never looking back. The sad part is, northern virginia would be even more sorry than it is if it wasn't for its close proximity to the District. DC runs this whole area, not Fairfax.

Date: July 28, 2007 11:43PM

JigSAW,
   if you hate fairfax so much then why in the hell are you posting on fairfaxunderground.com?! i hope you find what you are looking for when you decide to leave.

Posted by: WashingToneLocian ()
Date: July 29, 2007 03:59PM

lunchmeats Wrote:
> When will the VA DMV stop this "Jamestown"
> madness?
>
> I was born in Fairfax County and I have always
> lived in Fairfax County.
>
> Why do I have to put up with having to use license
> plates that say "Jamestown" ?????
>
> Sure, I can get other plates, but there's a charge
> for anything other than the standard issue plate
> with "Jamestown" on it.
>
> It's about time the DMV starts issuing the plain
> old license plate with just "VIRGINIA" and the
> plate numbers...
>
> Just my $.02 :)

I spend 3 seconds thinking about what the fuck is on my plates. Get a life, will ya?

Posted by: WashingToneLocian ()
Date: July 29, 2007 04:00PM

JigSAW Wrote:
> Oh and nice comment CW, you really hit it on the
> mark, this place really does SUCK, period. Only
> reason I still live here is cause I'm finishing up
> college at Mason and living with my parents, who
> happen to live here. Once I graduate, I am gettin
> the hell out and never looking back. The sad part
> is, northern virginia would be even more sorry
> than it is if it wasn't for its close proximity to
> the District. DC runs this whole area, not
> Fairfax.

Good luck finding a job in BFE, Nebraska with a degree from a school no one outside of Virginia has ever heard of. You'll be back.

Date: July 29, 2007 04:33PM

WashingToneLocian Wrote:
>
>
> Good luck finding a job in BFE, Nebraska with a
> degree from a school no one outside of Virginia
> has ever heard of. You'll be back.

haha, I dont recall saying anything about moving to Nebraska.....I would rather stay here. I will most likely go to South Florida, where there is actually more stuff to do other than go to movies and eat at chain resturants in all of our stupid "towne centers". I am going into law enforcement too, another reason I want to get out of Fairfax, barely any crime here. I dont want to start my career as a cop hanging out at 711 and Dunkin Donuts like Fairfax Co cops do. Oh and gravis, I love all types of forums, I go on here from time to time cause this is the only local forum I could find, I dont just hate fairfax I hate this whole NOVA area and I can't wait till I leave :)

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: July 29, 2007 06:17PM

Florida, where there is actually more stuff to do other than go to movies and eat at chain resturants

LOL. Ever actually spend time in South Florida???

Date: July 29, 2007 10:37PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> Florida, where there is actually more stuff to do
> other than go to movies and eat at chain
> resturants
>
> LOL. Ever actually spend time in South Florida???

I go there once every few months, my uncle lives in Miami. I actually lived there last summer with him from june to august, and man there was never a boring night I tell you. It sucked so bad when I came back here. I'm not saying nova is a bad place to live, the quality of life is decent here, no crime, no crazy weather, but nothing much to do. Its just not for me, I just dont think that Fairfax County is the center of the universe like most of you guys do...

Posted by: ... ()
Date: August 07, 2007 06:02PM

Lunchmeats Wrote:
> I still have a set of license plates from a car
> that I no longer own. The
> plates were issued in 1985. The DMV website shows
> that plate number is
> currently available. What do I need to do to use
> those old plates on my
> new car?

There's a form you can fill out at the DMV to transfer the tags to your new car. That's what I did...I was so happy to dump those Jamestown plates for my old ones.

Posted by: Nube ()
Date: August 08, 2007 12:43PM

"except for high taxes, gridlock, strip malls and illegals what else if fairfax famous for? "

How about Mount Vernon, home of George Washington, remember him?
How about George Mason and Gunston Hall?
There are also numerous civil war battles...drive seventy-five feet and look at one of the roadside historical markers if you want to know more about Fairfax's history.

Date: August 08, 2007 12:59PM

Fairfax is known for Hot chicks who go to college here no

http://collegehumour.com/cutecollegegirl/CaraA

Posted by: Steve ()
Date: August 21, 2007 12:55AM

Nevermind the fact that Jamestown is in Virginia. Your county/city of origin is irrelevant to the state's history. If you can be proud of your Fairfax "heritage", then you can be proud of your Virginia heritage. Recognize the reasons Virginia is on the map and embrace them. Fairfax is a mere baby as compared to southeastern Virginia: all of it.

Posted by: slinkeyts ()
Date: August 21, 2007 01:35AM

those chicks are hot

Date: August 21, 2007 06:49PM

Steve Wrote:
> If you can be proud of your
> Fairfax "heritage", then you can be proud of your
> Virginia heritage.

wtf are you talking about?! i take no pride in VA as a whole. fairfax... perhaps some. i am not proud of VA, it's a horrible place with a horrible and violent history. lynchburg anyone?

Posted by: Beat it ()
Date: August 21, 2007 08:24PM

"i take no pride in VA as a whole. fairfax... perhaps some. i am not proud of VA, it's a horrible place with a horrible and violent history."

GET THE FUCK OUT THEN COCKSUCKER.

Date: August 21, 2007 09:07PM

Beat it Wrote:
> GET THE FUCK OUT THEN COCKSUCKER.

i do... everyday because i work in MD. :P

Posted by: slinkeyts ()
Date: August 21, 2007 09:29PM

maryland is for the hoes

Posted by: GravisTheTool ()
Date: August 23, 2007 12:35PM

Once again, Gravis has shown what a repressed man he is.

Date: August 23, 2007 12:39PM

Gravis Wrote:

lynchburg anyone?

yeah cuz it was named after someone's surname of Lynch. not the act of hanging someone from a tree. Fuckin jackass

Posted by: Bob James ()
Date: August 24, 2007 03:27PM

I find it surprising that not enough County residents wanted a Fairfax County license plate. Actually, the design is attractive, showing the colorful. historic County seal. The Jamestown plate provides recognition of the Commonwealth and all Virginians should be proud to display this plate. In case some of your are not aware, we live in one of the best managed states and one of the greatest counties in the United States. Be glad that you live in Fairfax County--take a look at other counties and make the comparisons. If you find a better quality-of-life county with non-Jamestown license plates, most respectfully, move there.

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: August 24, 2007 04:09PM

Our point is that we don't live in Jamestown and the design seems to imply we do. I am proud of the Jamestown heritage but I think the license plate could be designed better. Ok so this year was the anniversary, I will probably have my tags for 8 years.

Do I really want 400th anniversary of Jamestown on the tags for the next 8 years?

Date: August 24, 2007 06:04PM

Dude just pay $10 and get one that doesn't say Jamestown. Simple.

Date: August 24, 2007 10:29PM

im just mad i cant even pay to have a plate without some lame design. i got a frame that covers up the jamestown shit so i feel much better about it now.

Posted by: VaDriver ()
Date: August 28, 2007 09:43AM

Why spend $10 when you can use some off white spray paint and ...Jamestown etc...is gone forever....it's legal as long as you don't obscure ID numbers and reg date and year.

Date: September 01, 2007 02:20AM

ok ok everyone, the point is, fairfax county is the utopia of the world and no other place in the universe is better, in fact when I die, screw heaven, i just want to stay in Faifax county:).....lets change the subject

Posted by: Thanks ()
Date: September 01, 2007 04:47AM

JigSAW Wrote:
> ok ok everyone, the point is, fairfax county is
> the utopia of the world and no other place in the
> universe is better, in fact when I die, screw
> heaven, i just want to stay in Faifax
> county:).....lets change the subject

Thanks for bringing it back up again jack ass.

Date: September 02, 2007 12:15AM

Thanks Wrote:
> JigSAW Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > ok ok everyone, the point is, fairfax county is
> > the utopia of the world and no other place in
> the
> > universe is better, in fact when I die, screw
> > heaven, i just want to stay in Faifax
> > county:).....lets change the subject
>
>
> Thanks for bringing it back up again jack ass.

anytime ;)

Posted by: JigSaws tits ()
Date: September 02, 2007 02:12PM

I live in Fairfax, why do I have to put up with idiots that make stupid ass threads like this?

By the way, my code for this pst for tbCUM, thats funny

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.