HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: PreviousFirst...7273747576777879808182...LastNext
Current Page: 77 of 189
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Neen ()
Date: January 09, 2008 11:57PM

Thomas More said:
>>>>If all the children who live within Reston's 1965 boundaries were assigned to South Lakes, no one else would have to be transferred to South Lakes

Reston's kids belong at Reston's High School - South Lakes<<<<

Isn't that what Stu always said he supported?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: For Secret Society Only ()
Date: January 09, 2008 11:57PM

Thursday, January 17, 7:30pm in the media center at SLHS.

PTSA meeting. Shhhh. This is conspirational. (Come armed against education, information, inspiration. Don't look around. You might see friendly faces!!! These are dangerous masks worn to fend off infiltrators.)

Date: January 10, 2008 12:07AM

Neen's Conscience Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I thought I was a happy,funny person. Now you
> tell me I'm a bitter, angry person. You've ruined
> my night. Instead of 'give peace a chance' I'll
> have to sing 'Is that all there is.'
>
> You know what, all of this does not amount to a
> hill of beans in the larger scheme. It will all
> work out, too.:)

I hope that you are a happy, funny, person. That hasn't been evident here. Perhaps it's this boundary thing. It's made lots of people nuts. Why should you be different?

And you are right, this won't amount to a hill of beans. Most people will find a way out of South Lakes and in a few years, every parent will have a voucher and be able to choose their school. This process has helped that day to come more quickly, as it has garnered more support for school vouchers for everyone. The monopoly is crumbling, all across the country, and will here too. I do feel bad for those who get caught in this and don't have choice now, but are forced to send their children to a school they never chose and has an academic program that they don't want for their children. Fortunately, that won't be too many families, but still, it is very important to those who don't have any choice. How frustrating it must be to have no choice in one of the most important things in a parent's life, their child's education. It really is not fair when we have choices in everything else in life, to not have a choice in something this important.

Shaking my head.

Date: January 10, 2008 12:10AM

For Secret Society Only Wrote:
> Thursday, January 17, 7:30pm in the media center
> at SLHS.
>
> PTSA meeting. Shhhh. This is conspirational. (Come
> armed against education, information, inspiration.
> Don't look around. You might see friendly faces!!!
> These are dangerous masks worn to fend off
> infiltrators.)

I am so glad that you all are letting everyone know that I never infiltrated anything, that SL PTSA has nothing hidden, no secret forums, and everything above board! I have NO idea why some posters accused me of such a silly thing!

Thank you SO MUCH for setting the record straight!

Date: January 10, 2008 12:14AM

The school board has opened yet another night for public comment on the budget. They filled up the first two nights. That means 300 people signed up!

The added evening is February 9th.

Those who haven't signed up, find out more here:

http://fcps.edu/schlbd/requestspeak.htm

Posted by: FME Mom ()
Date: January 10, 2008 12:17AM

Restonian Wrote:
> Floris Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Well, I did a queick search at homedatabase.com
> to
> > get an idea how expensive RTC's condos are. For
> > sale today, in entire 20171 for anything below
> > 300k, there are 15 units on market, for Reston
> > (20190) 45 units.
>
> Did you look at addresses to confirm that they
> were in RTC? I'd expect most are in the Lake Anne
> and Tall Oaks area.
>
> > So there are enough affordable housing in RTC
> > area.
>
> You have not shown that.
>
> >
> > For 'aging out' communities, can someone tell
> me
> > why Fox Mill is not 'aging out' except the
> houses
> > themselves there -- There are things cannot be
> > solved by a forced RD.
>
> Fox Mill Estates housing is a lot denser than the
> single family housing in Reston, I don't see a lot
> of extensive remodeling or housing additions in
> FME. Most people I know who are aging in place
> have upgraded their houses over the years. In FME
> I don't see the kind of lots that would make you
> want to stay in place rather than move up and out.

The wonderful thing about Fox Mill is the diversity of homes. You can start out in a smaller split level/foyer, and move up to a larger house. I know MANY who have done that. We love our community and move within.

Besides, those McMansions that pop up overnigh and are close enough that you could reach for a cup of sugar from your neighbor without having to leave your house are built like crap. They may be lovely at first, but twenty years from now they will be as solid as a double wide. I wouldn't waste my money....

Posted by: SLVerity ()
Date: January 10, 2008 12:24AM

FME Mom Wrote:

> Besides, those McMansions that pop up overnigh and
> are close enough that you could reach for a cup of
> sugar from your neighbor without having to leave
> your house are built like crap. They may be
> lovely at first, but twenty years from now they
> will be as solid as a double wide. I wouldn't
> waste my money....

Then you can see why we like Reston. Lot's of open space. In a few years, when the McMansions are out of vogue, we will be right in style along with you!

Date: January 10, 2008 12:37AM

>
> The wonderful thing about Fox Mill is the
> diversity of homes. You can start out in a
> smaller split level/foyer, and move up to a larger
> house. I know MANY who have done that. We love
> our community and move within.
>
> Besides, those McMansions that pop up overnigh and
> are close enough that you could reach for a cup of
> sugar from your neighbor without having to leave
> your house are built like crap. They may be
> lovely at first, but twenty years from now they
> will be as solid as a double wide. I wouldn't
> waste my money....

That's what they said when they built Vienna Woods, in 1950. At that time the number one industry in Fairfax was diary farming! People were used to BIG, open farms. There was ONE traffic light on Rt.123. People thought the houses were too close, and would never be sold. Now those little houses sell for $500,000 and more, because they've been modified and changed over the years and the location is great. In 1950, Vienna was considered VERY far out from the city. Now we have the metro and Rt.66 and Vienna is considered a good commute from the city. Things change. Over the long haul, houses appreciate. People no longer want to live far out on more land. No one has time for a big yard. The only thing about a house you cannot change is the location. I suppose I should add, depending on your HOA, or lack thereof. I've never lived under one, but I hear some can be rather strict.

No one has yet to waste their money on housing in Fairfax county, if they are investing for more than a few years. So don't worry about all those people in big houses, they're doing fine and there houses will only go up in value.

BTW, where in this area are big houses very close together, and built poorly? I don't see that in Fairfax.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2008 12:41AM by Neen.

Date: January 10, 2008 12:40AM

Forgot to add, I do love neighborhoods with lots of diversity, with houses built over many years, many centuries is even better. Much more interesting than everything built the same year. Although some of the newer neighborhoods out in Navy district are beautiful, big houses with lots of diversity, lots of architectural interest, and beautiful treed lots.

Posted by: FME Mom ()
Date: January 10, 2008 12:43AM

SLVerity Wrote:
> FME Mom Wrote:
> -----
>
> > Besides, those McMansions that pop up overnigh
> and
> > are close enough that you could reach for a cup
> of
> > sugar from your neighbor without having to
> leave
> > your house are built like crap. They may be
> > lovely at first, but twenty years from now they
> > will be as solid as a double wide. I wouldn't
> > waste my money....
>
> Then you can see why we like Reston. Lot's of
> open space. In a few years, when the McMansions
> are out of vogue, we will be right in style along
> with you!

I've stated before that I actually like Reston. I believe it has a lot to offer, but the decision to put in excessive welfare housing is a blight on what could be a great place. I also believe the urbanization is a mistake, and I cannot believe that they want to continue to put even more condos and high rises. It's gross! The true spirit of Reston was not to turn it into Tysons Corner. I understand the Town Center and like it even though I don't find many stores that are MY flavor. I even like the business district because it created more jobs close to home and increased police presence which curbed a lot of the crime stemming from the welfare housing. However, the developers have gone overboard. As I have stated before, they need to bring back the starter home. I think a funky little community with smaller european cottage type houses with a bit of a yard (even if it's not .25-.5 acres) would attract young families. Especially if the arts are pumped up. Instead of Lake Anne building new high rises, they should consider something like this. It might not bring in as many people, but would certainly enhance the quality of the town. There are enought condos, and young people can't afford squat anymore. I bought my home a decade ago when prices were reasonable. I'm lucky. The market is pricing families out of SFHs, which is why Reston is aging. There is also the issue of the "modern" architecture. Either you love it or you don't.

Posted by: truthbetold ()
Date: January 10, 2008 01:04AM

Just got home. Interesting posts this last couple of days.

Sounds like there will be "spawn of Fairfax Redistricting threads." One for curricula like fuzzy math. One for fixing the boundary process. And one for fixing the affordable housing problem. This could be good!

Glad folks are still caring enough about kids and education and community to keep going here, late into the night. Just checking in, but GTG.

Posted by: Thomas More ()
Date: January 10, 2008 01:48AM

South Lakes Pyramid parent Wrote:
> I was involved in early planning of Option 5, which was started after the four
> other options came out.

So you're one of the few folks who acknowledge responsibility for this mess.

Option 5 was hatched on or about November 28 by less than 20 members of the "South Lakes Boundary Study Group" with the help and active participation of Mr. Gibson.

> No conspiracy. None of these four options were optimal in terms of the criteria > set forth by the boundary study.

Garbage.

Option 4 met all eight criteria. What it didn't do was enable Gibson to keep his word to Straus not to impact HHS and his 2003 promise to some parents of Aldrin and Armstrong not to force them to go to SL.

> This is why it is the recommended option. From the SB's point of view, any
> option is going to have people saying "not us", so rational, measurable criteria > has to be the guiding factor.

The 8 criteria are not quantitative with a published methodology to measure any option against. They are qualitative and subject to interpretation and manipulation.

> We put forth Option 5, but it is really more of a modification to Option 3.

Except Option 3 had Floris staying at Westfield, east McNair coming to SL and west McNair going to HHS. Option 5 leaves McNair at Westfield and sends part of Floris to SL. The only thing Option 3 & 5 have in common is Fox Mill & Madison Islnad go to SL under both Options.

> Any other groups were free to put forth their other options or modifications,
> and address how they met the criteria.

Not within the time frame between Option 5 creation and the second meeting, No other group had direct and immediate access to Mr. Gibson who gave the 20 Option 5 creators nearly immediate feedback.

> However, most people were still very busy saying "no redistricting", instead
> of analyzing the options and providing rationale. I think the school system
> made it clear that "no redistricting" was not an option, so that these
> groups chose to spend their time that way is no one's fault but their own.

"Those stupid people weren't smart enough to play this rigged game as well as we were." That's so endearing. Why aren't all those Floris and Fox Mill folks rushing into your waiting arms.

> This is an example of how they modified options based on rational input.

Within 48 hours of Option 5's creation, the "South Lakes Boundary Study Group" were advised that it would over enroll SL by 300-400 kids. The FCPS staff revised Option 5 slightly to reduce the number of Floris kids going to SL but it will still over enroll SL by 100-200 kids by 2013.

> I and others posted here that if you follow the process, you will be heard. Not > many people heard this.

Orwell and H.R. Haldeman would be proud of this spin exercise. Unfortunately, others were there and know better.

This sophistry and condescension doesn't help SL's cause.

Option 5 advances Gibson's political agenda while visiting political retribution on those precincts which dared to vote against him.

It's so sad that the ernest and well-meaning parents of the "South Lakes Boundary Study Group" were so patently used as a "cat's paw" by his craveness.

They are paying a heavy price in unwarranted abuse and are left to beg Gibson's opponent for assistance to reach out to the parents and communities alienated by this process.

It's a real shame.

Posted by: URFullofit ()
Date: January 10, 2008 02:05AM

Thomas More: You are so full of shit! Every last word in this last post is 100% falsehoods and garbage. You need psychiatric help. Your credibility as a supporter of Reston-as-a-city, such as it was, has just disappeared for good because you can't be trusted to keep to any facts.

Just as an example, Franklin Farm came out with "Option 5" long before anyone at South Lakes did. "Option 5" was a shortcut term used by South Lakes for a modification of "Option 3," after many, many hours of discussion, and research of numbers from FCPS and other sources, by many people. And you KNOW this. We know you know this. You can try to hide behind your moniker to bamboozle others, but your conscience will know and hopefully haunt you. And you KNOW that the boundary study group members hit the phones and websites for these numbers so they could come up with a good and workable alternative to "Option 3." You denigrate all the work two dozen people did who were keeping all communities in mind. You, yourself, over and over again kept asking "WHY ARE WE KOWTOWING TO HERNDON?? Why do we care about Herndon? Why shouldn't we take Armstrong away, even though they'd have to travel much further than Fox Mill? Why should we worry about dominoing other communities?" If only other posters here KNEW how very little you cared about anything except citifying Reston!

You're not worth any more words!

Date: January 10, 2008 02:31AM

>>>>It's so sad that the ernest and well-meaning parents of the "South Lakes Boundary Study Group" were so patently used as a "cat's paw" by his craveness.

They are paying a heavy price in unwarranted abuse and are left to beg Gibson's opponent for assistance to reach out to the parents and communities alienated by this process.

It's a real shame.<<<<

What a totally screwed up mess, with so many injured on every side of this fence.

Staff and school board could not have screwed this up more, or hurt more in our community, if they had set those things as goals.

You are 100% correct when you say, "It's a real shame". I feel sorry for everyone who has been caught in this disaster. Our school board should feel ashamed of themselves for what they've done to ALL of the communities involved.

Date: January 10, 2008 02:48AM

URFullofit Wrote:

Another troll comes out from under the bridge.

> Thomas More: You are so full of shit!

No constipation here. Thanks for your concern about my health. Check with Luther. Rumor has it the 39 thesis were the product of that affliction.

> Every last word in this last post is 100% falsehoods and garbage.

Can't wait for the specifics from this one.

> You need psychiatric help.

Again with the health advice. Appreciate the concern truly but it is misplaced.

> Your credibility as a supporter of Reston-as-a-city,
> such as it was, has just disappeared for good
> because you can't be trusted to keep to any facts.

So you once thought Reston should be a city and now don't?

How does one "keep facts"? Who said we all can have our own opinion but we cannot have our own facts.

> Just as an example, Franklin Farm came out with
> "Option 5" long before anyone at South Lakes did.

Citation for this one please.

> "Option 5" was a shortcut term used by South Lakes
> for a modification of "Option 3," after many, many
> hours of discussion, and research of numbers from
> FCPS and other sources, by many people.

Actually most of the numbers used on November 28, I supplied but in a vain attempt to elicit the "South Lakes Boundary Study Group" support for Option 4

> And you KNOW this. We know you know this.

I know we tried to get break downs on various parts of Floris as to general population, FRL and ESOL but never got an answer and thus had to estimate the best we could.

> your conscience will know and hopefully haunt you.

Again with the health concerns. I sleep the sleep of the innocent and the just. Thanks for your concern.

> And you KNOW that the boundary study group members
> hit the phones and websites for these numbers so
> they could come up with a good and workable
> alternative to "Option 3."

See response above and prior post.

> You denigrate all the work two dozen people did who were keeping all
> communities in mind.

Which communities would that be. Certainly not Reston or Floris.

> You, yourself, over and over again kept asking "WHY ARE WE KOWTOWING TO
> HERNDON?? Why do we care about Herndon?

Exactly. Why was the "SOUTH LAKES Boundary Study Group" so obsessed with avoiding any offense to HHS? Never got an answer to that question. Still waiting on that one.

> Why shouldn't we take Armstrong away, even though
> they'd have to travel much further than Fox Mill?

Actually I supported, and still do, splitting Armstrong and letting those closest to HHS and outside Reston's boundaries staying at HHS and said so on November 28.

I also was ready, and still am, to let Armstong stay at HHS if SL got Aldrin and wrote that several times on this forum and elsewhere.

> Why should we worry about dominoing other communities?"

I cannot remember that phrase "dominoing other communties" ever crossing these lips or been written by me. Complete fabrication.

> If only other posters here KNEW how very little you cared about anything except
> citifying Reston!

Then they haven't been reading my posts here. Unifying Reston is my top priority in the process. That is no secret. "Reston's kids at Reston's high school."

Another priority is the phasing out of IB at SL and the restoration of AP.

Another is the improvement of a dysfunctional instructional and administrative staff.

There may be others.

> You're not worth any more words!

Well, I sure glad you didn't use more. I'd have to rebut them also.

Reston's kids at Reston's high school - South Lakes

Posted by: Registrar ()
Date: January 10, 2008 06:40AM

greatIdea Wrote:
> imabulldog, thanks for the info. One more
> question, say once the student is placed into
> Oakton for a year, would he automatically be
> placed for the next three years at Oakton, or
> would the process have to be repeated every year
> for the 4 years?

You actually have to reapply every month. It's a pain, but it can be worth it. You have to watch out for the unmarked cars, though. They check up on you.

Posted by: Berdhuis ()
Date: January 10, 2008 07:13AM

Option #7 folks, a modified Option #1 which sends nothing to Herndon and includes Madison island.

Look at the FRM and ESOL numbers for SLHS in Option #1, and reduce those by 0.5% to account for inclusion of Madison island. Then compare FRM and ESOL numbers for SLHS under Option #7 to FRM and ESOL numbers for SLHS under Option #5.

Pros:
1. Option #7 focuses on changing zones ONLY for those three high schools with alleged enrollment issues. Herndon and Oakton, with NO alleged enrollment issues are not changed.

2. FRM and ESOL numbers for SLHS are nearly identical to those of Option #5.

3. Navy is spared a ridiculous commute to Oakton, for which they are not yet used. Fox Mill has a long commute, too, but they seem to have adapted well to it and are not resistant. Navy is.

Cons:
1. This is an ill-conceived redistricting study to begin with, and should be scrapped.

Posted by: diversity -yes ()
Date: January 10, 2008 07:19AM

>> A diverse group of problem solvers is more likely to outperform a team of the best and brightest problem solvers, a U-M study shows.

So I guess this means that there should be a group that includes individuals other than liberals "solving" the SL enrollment problem to arrive at a better solution.

Posted by: Oakton Parent ()
Date: January 10, 2008 07:19AM

A number of South Lakes parents have been unhappy with criticisms of South Lakes. That's understandable. South Lakes is a good school and shouldn't have to defend itself. That said, it then irks me that someone could post the following, which I believe to be a sincere attempt to show why SLHS is "Better" than other schools. Net net, if you don't want to be criticized, then you should understand that applies to others as well.

These were listed as advantages for South Lakes, presumably for all:

"1) A first-rate education in a learning environment enriched by diversity. Every year, SLHS produces academic stars who are prepared to thrive in a flat, diverse world."

I don't quite know that this means. It looks to be a statement that other school environments are inferior because they are less diverse? Otherwise, its meaningless as an "advantage".

"2) An IB program - which recently was graded higher than AP."

The implication is non-IB schools are inferior, when that is hardly a defensible statement. The programs are different, and will meet different needs for different students. AP is much more popular across the US (14,000 schools vs. 500 schools) and in the county. Anecdotally, there seem to be many more families who prefer AP when the choice of both is available, if for no other reason than the breadth of AP offerings and the potential for college credit for one year AP classes.

"3) A better chance to engage in extracurriculars, particularly for Floris students."

I think this argument is based on student population moreso than looking into specific extracurricular opportunities and criteria for participating in them.

"4) A sense of community that comes with attending a more local school."

Fox mill students will have a more local school, Floris is equidistant from both, and Navy will have a more distant school. Even in that scenario, Fox Mill students are well integrated into the Oakton community well before high school.

"5) A shorter commute to school."

See previous point...less than half of the students affected will have a shorter commute.

"6) A newly renovated, state-of-the-art facility."

The implication being that SLHS is better than others now? Are you suggesting that FCPS doesn't offer equal facilities to all its students?

"7) The best young principal in the school system."

This is the point that made me gag. This sounds much more like an opinion, or a hope, as opposed to something that can be objectively determined.

"8) Freedom from the shackles of fear and elitism."

By posting this, you're basically branding as elitist anybody who might feel that their needs are best met at another school.

Trying to compare schools to see which one is "better" is a losing proposition. Everybody will make their own determination. And even if someone thinks their school is right for them, it doesn't give them standing to make this claim on behalf of other families.

Posted by: Baffled ()
Date: January 10, 2008 07:20AM

Berdhuis Wrote:
> Option #7 folks, a modified Option #1 which sends
> nothing to Herndon and includes Madison island.
>
> Look at the FRM and ESOL numbers for SLHS in
> Option #1, and reduce those by 0.5% to account for
> inclusion of Madison island. Then compare FRM and
> ESOL numbers for SLHS under Option #7 to FRM and
> ESOL numbers for SLHS under Option #5.
>
> Pros:
> 1. Option #7 focuses on changing zones ONLY for
> those three high schools with alleged enrollment
> issues. Herndon and Oakton, with NO alleged
> enrollment issues are not changed.
>
> 2. FRM and ESOL numbers for SLHS are nearly
> identical to those of Option #5.
>
> 3. Navy is spared a ridiculous commute to Oakton,
> for which they are not yet used. Fox Mill has a
> long commute, too, but they seem to have adapted
> well to it and are not resistant. Navy is.
>
> Cons:
> 1. This is an ill-conceived redistricting study to
> begin with, and should be scrapped.

It should be scrapped I agree. However isn't today the day the school officials submit the ridiculous #5 to the SB?

Posted by: FME ()
Date: January 10, 2008 07:37AM

That's why I'm voting with my feet and turning in pupil placement forms today. It's the only vote I'm going to get and I will have to take it. I am absolutely disgusted with sham of a "democratic process". There is not ONE compelling academic reason to send my kids to SL and frankly I will be thrilled to put this behind me and stay at Oakton. Maybe a new facility will be just what SL needs to bring it more in line with OHS, CHS, but no one I know from the Oakton community wants to switch. In the inverse, I would NEVER tell those that don't want to stay loyal to their long-time community that they are morrally bankrupt for going along with the boundary process. Happy trails to them.

Posted by: Moving to Oakton ()
Date: January 10, 2008 07:45AM

We are Navy Parents currently assigned to Chantilly and we welcome the move to Oakton. Sure the commute will be longer, Crossfield and Fox Mill students seem to handle it with out any problems, but we get to attend a school ranked in the top 100 in the country. I am the first to agree that this shouldn't be occurring at all. If you are going to redistrict then you need to look at the whole county. But if the school board intends to go through with this then quit whining and let the school board adopt the plan that was presented to them. Just be thankful your not part of Fox Mill or Floris. Think of your kids education and not about how this will inconvenience you.

Posted by: loosey ()
Date: January 10, 2008 07:53AM

FME Wrote:
> That's why I'm voting with my feet and turning in
> pupil placement forms today. It's the only vote
> I'm going to get and I will have to take it. I am
> absolutely disgusted with sham of a "democratic
> process". There is not ONE compelling academic
> reason to send my kids to SL and frankly I will be
> thrilled to put this behind me and stay at Oakton.
> Maybe a new facility will be just what SL needs
> to bring it more in line with OHS, CHS, but no one
> I know from the Oakton community wants to switch.
> In the inverse, I would NEVER tell those that
> don't want to stay loyal to their long-time
> community that they are morrally bankrupt for
> going along with the boundary process. Happy
> trails to them.

You are so right FME. Why are those Fox Mill/Floris and Navy parents that are NOT fighting this redistricting not seen as morally bankrupt? They are not loyal to the high school and pyramid that have so faithfully educated their children. Oakton, Westfield and Chantilly high schools have year after year placed amongst the very top schools and provided quality education. Any parents willing to just leave them and not fight this reassignment are NOT loyal to their current base schools. How wrong! How treasonous!

Date: January 10, 2008 07:58AM

Moving to Oakton Wrote:
> We are Navy Parents currently assigned to
> Chantilly and we welcome the move to Oakton. Sure
> the commute will be longer, Crossfield and Fox
> Mill students seem to handle it with out any
> problems, but we get to attend a school ranked in
> the top 100 in the country. I am the first to
> agree that this shouldn't be occurring at all. If
> you are going to redistrict then you need to look
> at the whole county. But if the school board
> intends to go through with this then quit whining
> and let the school board adopt the plan that was
> presented to them. Just be thankful your not part
> of Fox Mill or Floris. Think of your kids
> education and not about how this will
> inconvenience you.

Let me ask you a yes or no question. Would you be so happy if you were me and were forced to go to a high school that is way farther down the list? Tell me the truth would you be happy if you were in my shoes? CHS and WHS are close enough to OHS is the standings so that I wouldn't be happy maybe but I would go there.

Posted by: CHS mom ()
Date: January 10, 2008 08:18AM

Moving to Oakton:

You obviously have no children in middle or high school or you wouldn't be so willing to blow off to Oakton. Every neighborhood in Navy is fighting to stay at Chantilly. Maybe you should consider pupil placement if you want Oakton.

Re: Trying Again...
Date: January 10, 2008 08:34AM

Neen Wrote:
> South Lakes Pyramid parent Wrote:
> -----
> > FoxMillDad Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Who has an interest in working together
> toward
> > a
> > > plan that meets EVERYONE's needs and
> interests?
> >
> >
> > And what would that entail? Are you thinking
> > Magnet???? This in my opinion does not meet
> the
> > needs of SL kids.
>
> It is up to South Lakes administration, parents,
> and PTSA to give out of boundary parents a reason
> to want to go to South Lakes. Your PTSA needs to
> have a plan to welcome new families, and something
> to offer them. That might mean some kind of
> magnet, it might mean starting the process all
> over, it might mean an AP program, or something
> else entirely.
>
> You need to be able to explain the REAL reasons
> for the redistricting, to be brutally honest with
> yourselves, and the new people, or they won't
> trust you. You must tell new families what South
> Lakes has to offer ACADEMICALLY. It's obvious now
> that out of boundary parents are not impressed
> with the 'diversity' at South Lakes. It simply is
> not enough of a reason for them to be happy about
> leaving their current schools for South Lakes.
> What else do you have to offer them? Try to find
> those things. What makes a school worth
> attending? What are you willing to compromise on
> so that you can welcome these families and make
> them feel a part of your school community?
> Concentrate on things, then go out to the new
> communities and sell, sell, sell, your school.
> Stop focusing on race and diversity and begin to
> focus on what parents care about, academics. It's
> clear now that parents want a great academic
> programs. (That's why nearly 3,000 students a year
> take the TJ test.) Without an excellent academic
> program, they won't willingly change schools.
> What will your parents and PTSA do to help
> reassure them that their children's What are you
> willing to compromise on? Will you support an AP
> program? A Magnet? A new redistricting plan?
> Or at least form a committee of new parents and
> current parents to let the principal know what AP
> courses are important to parents. Can you
> reassure parents that the principal will include
> them on the curriculum committee? That he will
> listen to parents? Can he meet with the parents
> at Floris and Fox Mill and assure them that THEY
> will have a voice in what is taught at South
> Lakes, rather than leaving it up to staff as he
> has done in the past, and as he did with Human
> Geography? (That was terrible judgment on his part
> and certainly doesn't reassure anyone that he
> understands how much parents care about real
> academics.)
>
> At this point, it may well be too late to do
> anything. It may be that the process has been so
> poor executed that there is no hope of salvaging a
> viable plan that will make the redistricting a
> success. BUT, if there is any hope, the SL PTSA
> must be less strident, they must be open and
> honest. They can't be planning the future in
> secret. Parents are not reassured when they hear
> that the South Lakes PTSA has a private, secret,
> website. It's the PTÂ! People wonder why the PTA
> would need to hide anything from the public. What
> would the PTSA have to hide from the public? It's
> supposed to be an open, public, group to support
> parents! Parents who don't have access to their
> private PTSA group can't help but wonder, What are
> they hiding? And why? You can't do things in
> secret and tell people to 'just trust us, we know
> what's right for you'. It hasn't worked and it
> won't work. You can't expect people to want to
> attend a school where the PTSA board works in
> secret, with a hotline to their school board
> representative, while all others are excluded from
> such representation on the school board. Floris
> and Fox Mill have no representative like that who
> they can call at any time and who will represent
> them and their concerns. They don't feel they
> have that, in public or in secret. South Lakes
> PTSA must abandon their adversarial and defensive
> postures. They must be totally honest and above
> board. The current actions of the PTSA, the
> secretiveness, the private websites, the paranoia,
> the silly conspiracy theories, have not served you
> well. It has been anything but helpful to the
> process and it is frightening to out of boundary
> parents.
>
> South Lakes PTSA and parents must be willing to
> give something, some compromises, if they expect
> hundreds of parents to give up their children to a
> school they never chose, and an academic program
> that they never wanted. You have asked these
> parents to make HUGE sacrifices. What sacrifices
> is South Lakes willing to make? South Lakes can't
> expect this will work if all the sacrifices are
> only to be made by other people who are forced to
> attend South Lakes. It's setting up a lose-lose
> for everyone. If you are unwilling to even
> compromise, how can you ask other people to make
> what they consider the ultimate family sacrifices?

Neen, for the first time, you've said some intelligent things. Until you blew it by saying the SL Boundary Group was the PTSA. This is blatantly false. If you want to have a real dialog with SL, stop insulting our intelligence and our integrity.

Posted by: Taormina ()
Date: January 10, 2008 08:40AM

Neen Wrote:
> And you are right, this won't amount to a hill of
> beans. Most people will find a way out of South
> Lakes and in a few years, every parent will have a
> voucher and be able to choose their school. This
> process has helped that day to come more quickly,
> as it has garnered more support for school
> vouchers for everyone.

Vouchers? When did they become an option? My understanding is that they are used to allow parental choice between public/private school or to move children from lower to better performing school SYSTEMS. In either case "money" is transferred between financially distinct entities, not intra-agency. While they could be used if you wanted to take your kid out of SL in order for them to attend PVI, I can't see FCPS EVER supporting this option and even if SLHS is not in the top 100 list as is Oakton, it is far from a failing school. Hovever, vouchers don't make any sense moving from SLHS to OHS since it is essentially the same pot of money.

Posted by: OHS Dad Forever ()
Date: January 10, 2008 09:39AM

Loosey and FME I'm with you and thanks for showing me my moral imperative

What kind of a role model would I be for my sons and daughter if I agree to switch to SLHS? Our neighbors, their kids that have graduated and the currently enrolled students, and the Oakton staff has worked for decades to get to the National top 100. Earned a gold-medal from a ranking of high schools throughout the nation by a respected news magazine. OHS needs us now more than ever, those of us in the Fox Mill Estates. OHS will be underenrolled if we don't pupil place back there NOW and then how can I face the FRM students at OHS? That would not be fair to the disadvantaged kids that are ESOL and FRM at OHS and then I would be a disgusting poor excuse for a father.

Nope. Can't go to SLHS. That would be wrong. It would be too disloyal to a school that has done alot for my oldest. Not to mention his FRM friends. I will fill out forms until my fingers bleed to stop this injustice to my school.

Posted by: Floris Parent ()
Date: January 10, 2008 09:45AM

With all of the stated advantages that South Lakes is going to be able to offer new students, there seems to be some families in the Floris/Fox Mill Communities that "want" to send their children to South Lakes, for many of the reasons that have been given to justify this boundary study. In addition, I am sure there are many other parents outside of Floris?Fox Mill who feel excluded from this opportunity enjoy the benifits of a 'New" South Lakes.

Perhaps the SB could send out a direct mail to all homes in the general vicinity of South Lakes, and determine how many families will "voluntarily" choose to go to South Lakes.

It seems very unfair for the SB to deny this wonderful opportunity to students who are currently enrolled in schools that are not a part of this study, to be denied the opportunity to attend a smaller school with state of the art facilities, diversity, etc. etc.

I am sure that there are many parents and children in the Langley, Oakton, Madison, Chantilly, Westfield Pyramids who would love to attend South Lakes, but are not being given the opportunity to do so because their communities were excluded for the West County Study.

Many of these families are probably wondering "why they are not good enough" to be offered the opportunites that the "New" South Lakes can offer for their children.

For those families who feel unjustly left out of this West County Boundary Study, please plan to sign up for the SB Hearings, and let you voice be heard. You can certainly count on the Floris/Fox Mill communities to support you in you quest to be a part of what some say is going to be one of the "Best Schools" in the County.

Maybe we can start a new Forum, for families that feel they should not have been denied the opportunity to be a part of the South Lakes opportunity.

Date: January 10, 2008 09:54AM

That is pure genius Floris Parent.

50 million brand spankin new facility with flat screen tvs, the best principal, superior IB programm(e!). Butler must have a HUGE stack of pupil placement applications in his in-box. Spread the word that students from all high schools can place INTO the school and Katy bar the door!

Weird that the SB didn't factor all those folks clambering to get into a brand new facility. They made a big mistake by expanding the boundary of SL because there will be so many Westfield and Oakton students placing in.

Date: January 10, 2008 09:56AM

Butler better sign every single pupil placement form to transfer out. Otherwise it will be too full......

Posted by: Anonymous ()
Date: January 10, 2008 10:03AM

Floris Parent Wrote:
> With all of the stated advantages that South Lakes
> is going to be able to offer new students, there
> seems to be some families in the Floris/Fox Mill
> Communities that "want" to send their children to
> South Lakes, for many of the reasons that have
> been given to justify this boundary study.

Floris Parent that is the funniest thing I have read so far on this blog! Oh your being sincere.

Posted by: WestfieldMom ()
Date: January 10, 2008 10:11AM

Many students do not want to be separated from their siblings and friends.

Observation Wrote:
> I don't understand who these "unwilling students"
> are. Students are unwilling to do a whole range of
> things, including go to Catholic school (even
> though their parents make them), wear coats in
> winter, and study enough to bring a low B to a
> high B or A. Other students are unwilling to do
> things their parents have labeled as terrible for
> them. Yet others do it BECAUSE their parents label
> it as terrible. Students do not have enough
> experience in life to know whether this or that
> will be "good" for them when it comes to major
> events like move to a new city because Dad or Mom
> has a new job or move to a new school because they
> live in a county that redistricts neighborhoods as
> they grow and change.
>
> Am I to believe that parents canvass their kids
> before they move to a new house: "Johnny, what
> school would you like to go to? Ok. Then we'll
> move to a neighborhood so you can go to your
> favorite school."
>
> These "unwilling students," I venture to say, are
> "unwilling" because their parents are making darn
> sure they will be "unwilling." I guarantee you
> that 95% of kids go with the flow if their parents
> do.

Posted by: WestfieldMom ()
Date: January 10, 2008 10:17AM

How can that be since the expressed desire of the South Lakes PTA, students, and pet School Board rep is to reduce the diversity at South Lakes?

SLHS Parent Wrote:
> The attachment says it all. When SLHS arrives at
> full strength, it will be hands-down the best high
> school in Fairfax County, if not the entire U.S.

Date: January 10, 2008 10:19AM

diversity -yes Wrote:
> >> A diverse group of problem solvers is more
> likely to outperform a team of the best and
> brightest problem solvers, a U-M study shows.
>
> So I guess this means that there should be a group
> that includes individuals other than liberals
> "solving" the SL enrollment problem to arrive at a
> better solution.

Well, I am a conservative and I am a South Lakes problem-solver.

Date: January 10, 2008 10:20AM

WestfieldMom Wrote:

> > The attachment says it all. When SLHS arrives
> at
> > full strength, it will be hands-down the best
> high
> > school in Fairfax County, if not the entire U.S.

We will still be much more diverse than Westfield:)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2008 10:21AM by SLVerity.

Date: January 10, 2008 10:32AM

SLVerity Wrote:
> We will still be much more diverse than
> Westfield:)

Can't wait to get away from you and other SL positng here give me the heebie jeebies. Can't get my pupil-placement tickets outta there fast enough.

Good luck to you Westfield parents. Run away! Run away! You only have until April so hurry!
Save yourselves everybody.

Date: January 10, 2008 10:54AM

FME, you give Fox Mill a bad name.

Posted by: Floris Parent ()
Date: January 10, 2008 10:56AM

Low-Income Schools Ranked By Success on AP and IB Exams

At least 40 percent of the students at each local public high school below come from families with incomes low enough to qualify for federal lunch subsidies. Each school name is followed by its Equity and Excellence passing rate on AP and IB exams and its percentage of low-income students. The average public high school Equity and Excellence rate in the country is about 15 percent.

School

District
Equity and

Excellence

Passing Rate
Percentage

Low-Income

Students

1. J.E.B. Stuart Fairfax County 43.1 percent 51 percent
2. Annandale Fairfax County 40 percent 40 percent
3. Wakefield Arlington County 38.4 percent 52 percent
4. Wilson The District 35 percent 42 percent
5. Wheaton Montgomery County 27.3 percent 41 percent
6. T.C. Williams Alexandria 22.5 percent 50 percent
7. SEED The District 20 percent 73 percent
8. Northwestern Prince George's County 19 percent 51 percent
9. High Point Prince George's County 11.2 percent 51 percent
10. Bell Multicultural The District 11 percent 81 percent

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/08/AR2008010804793.html?sub=new

Interesting article from the Washington Post today.

I wonder where South Lakes ranked?

Date: January 10, 2008 10:58AM

Can't help how I feel SLVerity

Posted by: SLHS Parent ()
Date: January 10, 2008 11:08AM

To Oakton Parent:

"1) A first-rate education in a learning
> environment enriched by diversity. Every year,
> SLHS produces academic stars who are prepared to
> thrive in a flat, diverse world."
>
> I don't quite know that this means. It looks to
> be a statement that other school environments are
> inferior because they are less diverse?
> Otherwise, its meaningless as an "advantage".

As long as a school provides an excellent academic experience - which SLHS clearly does - diversity is an advantage. School is as much about social growth as it is academics. Diversity enhances social growth in students, and better prepares students for leadership and teamwork in the real world.

"2) An IB program - which recently was graded
> higher than AP."
>
> "The implication is non-IB schools are inferior,
> when that is hardly a defensible statement. The
> programs are different, and will meet different
> needs for different students. AP is much more
> popular across the US (14,000 schools vs. 500
> schools) and in the county. Anecdotally, there
> seem to be many more families who prefer AP when
> the choice of both is available, if for no other
> reason than the breadth of AP offerings and the
> potential for college credit for one year AP
> classes."

The implication is not that non-IB schools are inferior. The point is that IB and AP both offer academic rigor for students. All else being equal, academic achievement is primarily a function of a student's motivation and effort, and family suport. There is no reason to think that a student who would have excelled at Oakton or Westfield will not excel at SLHS.

3) A better chance to engage in extracurriculars,
> particularly for Floris students."
>
> I think this argument is based on student
> population moreso than looking into specific
> extracurricular opportunities and criteria for
> participating in them.

True. Population matters, both for Westfield and for SLHS.

"4) A sense of community that comes with attending
> a more local school."
>
> Fox mill students will have a more local school,
> Floris is equidistant from both, and Navy will
> have a more distant school. Even in that
> scenario, Fox Mill students are well integrated
> into the Oakton community well before high
> school.

No one can say with a straigh face that it makes sense for Fox Mill students to travel past SLHS, which is underenrolled, in order to travel 9 or 10 miles on back roads to get to Oakton. Moreover, it is obvious that Fox Mill is effectively part of the Reston community, not the "Oakton community" to which some Fox Mill parents apparently aspire, and, as everyone knows, high school is a different experience than elementary or middle school, full of new friends and new experiences and new sense of community tethered to the school. As for Floris, all Floris students east of Monroe street are clearly closer to SLHS than to Westfield. Only Floris students west of Monroe are equidistant.

5) A shorter commute to school."
>
> See previous point...less than half of the
> students affected will have a shorter commute.

See previous point.

"6) A newly renovated, state-of-the-art
> facility."
>
> The implication being that SLHS is better than
> others now? Are you suggesting that FCPS doesn't
> offer equal facilities to all its students?

I assume FCPS provides high quality facilities to all its students. SLHS, however, has received the most recent renovation and therefore has the most to offer in this regard. This does not mean it is "better," but it does mean that it is by no means inferior to any school facility in the County.

> "7) The best young principal in the school
> system."
>
> This is the point that made me gag. This sounds
> much more like an opinion, or a hope, as opposed
> to something that can be objectively determined.

This is not a subjective opinion. Bruce Butler was named the FCPS First-Year Principal of the Year. See http://www.fcps.edu/mediapub/cable-tv/archive/0607/ss0607.htm

"8) Freedom from the shackles of fear and
> elitism."
>
> By posting this, you're basically branding as
> elitist anybody who might feel that their needs
> are best met at another school.
>
> Trying to compare schools to see which one is
> "better" is a losing proposition. Everybody will
> make their own determination. And even if someone
> thinks their school is right for them, it doesn't
> give them standing to make this claim on behalf of
> other families.

I'm not branding everyone - only those who deserve it. No one with eyes, ears, and a brain who has read this forum or attended the meetings can doubt that fear and elitism are strong undercurrents in this debate. Fox Mill and Floris parents of conscience should be just as offended as SLHS parents.

To your point about everyone making their own decision, and who has standing to make claims on behalf other families ... your're right. The only people who have standing to make these decisions are our elected public officials, who must make their decision based on the merits and based on the highest standards of public trust. To be sure, Fox Mill and Floris parents have a right to their personal preferences, even if grounded in fear, elitism, and misunderstanding of the greatness of SLHS. They have every right, as well, to stir up discord and dissension in the community and to try to poison the debate, and to poison their kids' perception of SLHS. However, Fox Mill and Floris parents have no legitimate expectation that public officials, using public money for public schools, acquiesce to such sentiments instead of doing the right thing.

The legitimate options of unhappy parents are to (a) move; (b) send their kids to a private school of their choice; (c) hope to be permitted to pupil place. I urge Fox Mill and Floris parents of good will to choose none of the above. They and their kids will find that SHLS is an excellent school, with excellent students, who will welcome them with open arms. Diversity united in excellence. E Pluribus Unum.

Date: January 10, 2008 11:13AM

WestfieldMom Wrote:
> How can that be since the expressed desire of the
> South Lakes PTA, students, and pet School Board
> rep is to reduce the diversity at South Lakes?
>
>
>
> SLHS Parent Wrote:
> -----
> > The attachment says it all. When SLHS arrives
> at
> > full strength, it will be hands-down the best
> high
> > school in Fairfax County, if not the entire U.S.

Fox Mill and Floris are diverse communitees, so diversity will not be lessened with option 5.

Posted by: Forum Reader ()
Date: January 10, 2008 11:15AM

SLVerity Wrote:
> ... You are welcome to your
> opinions and I am welcome to point out some of the
> hypocracy in yours. ... What is the difference
> between Herndon and South Lakes - Herndon is an AP
> school. ...

The difference is Herndon is not trying to force in students satisfied with their current schools.

You claim I take every opportunity to bash IB yet when I point out IB is working for the even more diverse Stuart, and that IB is appropriate for a few (very few elite) students you accuse me of "hypocracy" [your spelling of what I think you mean to be "hypocrisy"]. You have already questioned my integrity [without citing specifics]. Is calling me a racist next on your list?

You agreed to separate your opinions from your facts. Please do so, and knock off the name-calling and personal attacks.

Posted by: LeaveMyKidAlone ()
Date: January 10, 2008 11:17AM

In order to Pupil Place a decision must first be made regarding which school is to be your child's base school.

My neighborhood has 18 homes, 5 with school age kids involved in this. The five families have 8 school age children combined. Here is a break down of the 8:

* 4 have sold and are moving closer to current school

* 2 will attend Flint Hill Private in Oakton

* 2 will attend Bishop O'Connell HS

Congratulations FCPS you may now recalculate your enrollment projections. Oh that's right you dont take this type of data into consideration do you? You simply adjust your numbers to reflect the outcome you wish to achieve. FYI many private schools stop accepting applications at the end of January. When you call be sure to ask them if they have seen an increase in applications from FCPS. Maybe Stu is getting kick backs from local private schools as well as SL PTSA members.

Date: January 10, 2008 11:18AM

Floris Parent Wrote:

>
> School/District/Equity and Excellence Passing Rate % / % Low-Income Students
>
> 1. J.E.B. Stuart Fairfax County 43.1 percent 51
> percent
> 2. Annandale Fairfax County 40 percent 40 percent
>
> 3. Wakefield Arlington County 38.4 percent 52
> percent
> 4. Wilson The District 35 percent 42 percent
> 5. Wheaton Montgomery County 27.3 percent 41
> percent
> 6. T.C. Williams Alexandria 22.5 percent 50
> percent
> 7. SEED The District 20 percent 73 percent
> 8. Northwestern Prince George's County 19 percent
> 51 percent
> 9. High Point Prince George's County 11.2 percent
> 51 percent
> 10. Bell Multicultural The District 11 percent 81
> percent
>
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/artic
> le/2008/01/08/AR2008010804793.html?sub=new
>
> Interesting article from the Washington Post
> today.
>
> I wonder where South Lakes ranked?

Here you go:

South Lakes* 41.50/E & E 33.00/Free & Reduced Lunch %

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/challengeindex/local/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2008 11:21AM by SLVerity.

Date: January 10, 2008 11:25AM

SLHS Parent Wrote:
> To Oakton Parent:
>
> "1) A first-rate education in a learning
> > environment enriched by diversity. Every year,
> > SLHS produces academic stars who are prepared
> to
> > thrive in a flat, diverse world."
> >
> > I don't quite know that this means. It looks
> to
> > be a statement that other school environments
> are
> > inferior because they are less diverse?
> > Otherwise, its meaningless as an "advantage".
>
> As long as a school provides an excellent academic
> experience - which SLHS clearly does - diversity
> is an advantage. School is as much about social
> growth as it is academics. Diversity enhances
> social growth in students, and better prepares
> students for leadership and teamwork in the real
> world.
>
> "2) An IB program - which recently was graded
> > higher than AP."
> >
> > "The implication is non-IB schools are
> inferior,
> > when that is hardly a defensible statement.
> The
> > programs are different, and will meet different
> > needs for different students. AP is much more
> > popular across the US (14,000 schools vs. 500
> > schools) and in the county. Anecdotally, there
> > seem to be many more families who prefer AP
> when
> > the choice of both is available, if for no
> other
> > reason than the breadth of AP offerings and the
> > potential for college credit for one year AP
> > classes."
>
> The implication is not that non-IB schools are
> inferior. The point is that IB and AP both offer
> academic rigor for students. All else being
> equal, academic achievement is primarily a
> function of a student's motivation and effort, and
> family suport. There is no reason to think that a
> student who would have excelled at Oakton or
> Westfield will not excel at SLHS.
>
> 3) A better chance to engage in extracurriculars,
> > particularly for Floris students."
> >
> > I think this argument is based on student
> > population moreso than looking into specific
> > extracurricular opportunities and criteria for
> > participating in them.
>
> True. Population matters, both for Westfield and
> for SLHS.
>
> "4) A sense of community that comes with
> attending
> > a more local school."
> >
> > Fox mill students will have a more local
> school,
> > Floris is equidistant from both, and Navy will
> > have a more distant school. Even in that
> > scenario, Fox Mill students are well integrated
> > into the Oakton community well before high
> > school.
>
> No one can say with a straigh face that it makes
> sense for Fox Mill students to travel past SLHS,
> which is underenrolled, in order to travel 9 or 10
> miles on back roads to get to Oakton. Moreover,
> it is obvious that Fox Mill is effectively part of
> the Reston community, not the "Oakton community"
> to which some Fox Mill parents apparently aspire,
> and, as everyone knows, high school is a different
> experience than elementary or middle school, full
> of new friends and new experiences and new sense
> of community tethered to the school. As for
> Floris, all Floris students east of Monroe street
> are clearly closer to SLHS than to Westfield.
> Only Floris students west of Monroe are
> equidistant.
>

Really? Didn't somebody say that when the newly developed Fox Mill was being formed, Reston rejected Fox Mill and kept the boundary surrouded causing Fox Mill to be addressed in Herndon and hails to the Oak Hill PO? Now suddenly you are saying it is apparently part of the Reston community? Again hand picking is not the thing to do with redistricting. An honest and upfront approach to absolute necessary redistricting is the thing, NOT rigged and conspired and closed in meetings to come up with a botched #5.

Now quoting TM...all Reston school kids go to Reston's High school-South Lakes

Date: January 10, 2008 11:35AM

Whooda thunk that in the choice between JEB Stuart and South Lakes that you'd have to pick Stuart? So many more FRM students than South Lakes and better academic ranking. Way to go everyone involved with JEB Stuart.

Date: January 10, 2008 11:38AM

Forum Reader Wrote:
>
> The difference is Herndon is not trying to force
> in students satisfied with their current schools.

South Lakes is not forcing anyone. The School Board has deemed it necessary to bring more students into South Lakes, and South Lakes agrees with their approach.
>
> You claim I take every opportunity to bash IB yet
> when I point out IB is working for the even more
> diverse Stuart, and that IB is appropriate for a
> few (very few elite) students you accuse me of
> "hypocracy" . You have already questioned my
> integrity . Is calling me a racist next on your
> list?

Why on earth would I call you a racist?

>
> You agreed to separate your opinions from your
> facts. Please do so, and knock off the
> name-calling and personal attacks.

I corrected the spelling yesterday - check for yourself. Is this where your argument is now resting - in nit-picking my spelling? The school board initially made a decision that Herndon should have more students, and Herndon was fully behind it until they realized that they might lose their only two schools that made AYP (Aldrin & Armstrong) and/or receive more Title I students via McNair under other options. They then backed off and supported the Option 5.

I have not personally attacked you, but rather your approach. I cannot help it if you take it personally.

If IB only works for a few elite students, as you say, then why is it working at Stuart, which has 50% FRM students? Why are its students doing even better on the SOLs than the AP schools in the boundary study? I think this is worthy of discussion.

Well, Stuart's IB program has matured, and Stuart has had the benefit of excellent leadership. South Lakes now has excellent leadership, and it is by all indications improving (SOL/SAT/Challenge Index). In addition, SL already outperforms Stuart on the SAT, so it is already doing right by it's college bound population.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2008 12:34PM by SLVerity.

Date: January 10, 2008 11:43AM

Baffled Wrote:

> Really? Didn't somebody say that when the newly
> developed Fox Mill was being formed, Reston
> rejected Fox Mill and kept the boundary surrouded
> causing Fox Mill to be addressed in Herndon and
> hails to the Oak Hill PO? Now suddenly you are
> saying it is apparently part of the Reston
> community? Again hand picking is not the thing to
> do with redistricting. An honest and upfront
> approach to absolute necessary redistricting is
> the thing, NOT rigged and conspired and closed in
> meetings to come up with a botched #5.
>

That poster was misinformed. Fox Mill was never kept out of Reston. Fox Mill went to Herndon High School until around 20 years ago, when it was redistricted to Oakton during the last major boundary changes in this area. I just discussed this information with a school board member the other day.

Date: January 10, 2008 11:52AM

SLVerity Wrote:
> Baffled Wrote:
> -----
>
> > Really? Didn't somebody say that when the
> newly
> > developed Fox Mill was being formed, Reston
> > rejected Fox Mill and kept the boundary
> surrouded
> > causing Fox Mill to be addressed in Herndon and
> > hails to the Oak Hill PO? Now suddenly you
> are
> > saying it is apparently part of the Reston
> > community? Again hand picking is not the thing
> to
> > do with redistricting. An honest and upfront
> > approach to absolute necessary redistricting is
> > the thing, NOT rigged and conspired and closed
> in
> > meetings to come up with a botched #5.
> >
>
> That poster was misinformed. Fox Mill was never
> kept out of Reston. Fox Mill went to Herndon High
> School until around 20 years ago, when it was
> redistricted to Oakton during the last major
> boundary changes in this area. I just discussed
> this information with a school board member the
> other day.

Ok..interesting and you had a meeting with the school board member?

Date: January 10, 2008 11:53AM

FME Wrote:
> Whooda thunk that in the choice between JEB Stuart
> and South Lakes that you'd have to pick Stuart?
> So many more FRM students than South Lakes and
> better academic ranking. Way to go everyone
> involved with JEB Stuart.

Is the Challenge Index an academic ranking? You might want to check that.

Look at 2007 SAT Scores: South Lakes 1596, Stuart 1534. So South Lakes seems to be doing better for its college bound students. Are your students college bound? If SATs are important to you South Lakes would be the best choice right now.

If SOLs are important to you and you are from a disadvantaged family, then Stuart might be your best option at the moment, because their disadvantaged students are doing better than the disadvantaged students at each and every school in the West County Boundary Study(see the data I posted yesterday).

2008 Local Challenge Index:

47 Stuart* Fairfax 2.378 43.10 51.00

63 South Lakes* Fairfax 1.991 41.50 33.00

Not that much different. Also, South Lakes had the highest jump of any Washington Metropolitan school this year (35%).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2008 12:01PM by SLVerity.

Date: January 10, 2008 11:55AM

Baffled Wrote:
>
> Ok..interesting and you had a meeting with the
> school board member?

People on this board jump to so many conclusions. Did I say I had a meeting with a School Board member? No. I spoke with a School Board member on the bus. Jeez.

Date: January 10, 2008 12:07PM

SLVerity Wrote:
> Baffled Wrote:
> >
> > Ok..interesting and you had a meeting with the
> > school board member?
>
> People on this board jump to so many conclusions.
> Did I say I had a meeting with a School Board
> member? No. I spoke with a School Board member on
> the bus. Jeez.

I was not trying to jump to conclusions here--just asking you if you had a meeting with a SB member because it was not clear from your last post how you discussed with a SB member the other day.

Date: January 10, 2008 12:11PM

I ran into a member on the bus, and since someone had posted info about Fox Mill that I didn't think was right, I asked for confirmation. The school board member also told me that 20 years ago the Fox Mill community did not want to move to Oakton and fought to stay at Herndon. Now of course many don't want to leave Oakton. Some things never change, I guess. People in general don't like to move, but as time passes they adapt and come to like their new locale.

Date: January 10, 2008 12:22PM

What bus would that be? Mmmmmaybe the bus that picks up you and your soft white bread cronies along with Stu to your "meetings"??

Posted by: I Smell Children ()
Date: January 10, 2008 12:23PM

No the kid-catcher wagon in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

Date: January 10, 2008 12:24PM

You have no idea about my race or which SB member I spoke with, do you?

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: January 10, 2008 12:27PM

Are we there yet?

Date: January 10, 2008 12:54PM

Date: January 10, 2008 11:38AM
SLVerity Wrote:

> ... I have not personally attacked you, but rather
> your approach. I cannot help it if you take it
> personally. ...
>
> ... it is already doing right by
> it's college bound population.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2008 11:58AM by SLVerity.

-------
You have a tendency to edit your posts. The above post has already been edited. It would be better to review them before you post them.

[By the way, next time you edit this particular post, "it's" is the abbreviation for "it is." The pronoun you meant to use is "its" without the apostrophe: "its college bound population." Remember: his-hers-its.]

[Yes, I commit a few typographic errors as well. Don't we all? But I try to correct them before posting rather than editing after the fact.]

The point of THIS post is to respond to your sentences, "I have not personally attacked you, but rather your approach. I cannot help it if you take it personally."

Please review these excerpts from some of your posts written to Forum Reader:

Date: January 09, 2008 01:50PM
> Why do you seem to have animus toward South Lakes

Date: January 09, 2008 03:32PM
> It makes one wonder about the integrity of your arguments against South Lakes.

January 09, 2008 06:18PM
> You are welcome to your opinions and I am
> welcome to point out some of the hypocrisy in yours.

Injecting emotionally-laden words like animus, integrity, and hypocrisy turns a rational discussion into a personal attack. As I suggested earlier, kindly review your comments before you post them - to me or to anyone else.

Can we end our petty bickering, stick to our agreement to separate fact from opinion, and get back to the topic of high school redistricting? (By the way, I agree you have the right to talk to a school board member. I don't understand that whole argument.)

Posted by: taxpayer ()
Date: January 10, 2008 01:05PM

SLVerity Wrote:
> I ran into a member on the bus, and since someone
> had posted info about Fox Mill that I didn't think
> was right, I asked for confirmation. The school
> board member also told me that 20 years ago the
> Fox Mill community did not want to move to Oakton
> and fought to stay at Herndon. Now of course many
> don't want to leave Oakton. Some things never
> change, I guess. People in general don't like to
> move, but as time passes they adapt and come to
> like their new locale.

most epople generally think of Flrois and Fox mill as Lower Herndon areas on the way to Chantilly. Aldrin is Reston. Fox Mill and Oakton are like Langley and parts of Forestville on a much smaller scale or driving distance. FCPS shuld be glad Fox mill has been willing to commute or they all plus Floris, Oak Hill, McNair, Crossfiled, new Coppermine etc could be screaming like the South County middle school crew. There might even be more of them.

Date: January 10, 2008 01:14PM

You post the above, again nit-picking, and then ask me not to be petty? I think you would find that I generally get the his-hers-its thingy down pat. I am the product of an AP school, though. For the record, I questioned the integrity of your argument, not your integrity. You know, sorta like the integrity of a boat's hull. There is a difference. You do seem to not like South Lakes very much. Go back and re-read your posts and see if you don't recognize a trend. If I am wrong, then please accept my apologies.

As I have said many times, we disagree about the AP/IB subject. I am willing to compromise by making the program at South Lakes a blended one. You will not rest until IB is banished or at least narrowed down to a couple of County magnets. I think it's perfectly ok that we disagree, and I have nothing against you personally. I think you are a very intelligent person with an agenda. I think I am, too.

I herewith declare a truce. :)

Sorry, I edited!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2008 01:15PM by SLVerity.

Posted by: Concerned FFX Citizen ()
Date: January 10, 2008 01:36PM

In order to stop overcrowding and balance out schools the school board should re-district several schools. I suggest sending some students from Oakton and Chantilly to South Lakes.

Posted by: FES MOM ()
Date: January 10, 2008 02:12PM

Yes, to be fair, it should include all high schools in FFX in study and find a good option so there will not be any school changes every couple of years! Too much changes.

It's always easy to say move students when it's somebody's kids get moved not yours. If it's yours that you might think it different way. You can pupil palce your kids to SLHS since they have 700 empty seats and leave Oakton and Chantilly HS.

Concerned FFX Citizen Wrote:
> In order to stop overcrowding and balance out
> schools the school board should re-district
> several schools. I suggest sending some students
> from Oakton and Chantilly to South Lakes.

Posted by: huh? ()
Date: January 10, 2008 02:35PM

taxpayer Wrote:
> SLVerity Wrote:
> -----
> > I ran into a member on the bus, and since
> someone
> > had posted info about Fox Mill that I didn't
> think
> > was right, I asked for confirmation. The
> school
> > board member also told me that 20 years ago the
> > Fox Mill community did not want to move to
> Oakton
> > and fought to stay at Herndon. Now of course
> many
> > don't want to leave Oakton. Some things never
> > change, I guess. People in general don't like
> to
> > move, but as time passes they adapt and come to
> > like their new locale.
>
> most epople generally think of Flrois and Fox mill
> as Lower Herndon areas on the way to Chantilly.
> Aldrin is Reston. Fox Mill and Oakton are like
> Langley and parts of Forestville on a much smaller
> scale or driving distance. FCPS shuld be glad Fox
> mill has been willing to commute or they all plus
> Floris, Oak Hill, McNair, Crossfiled, new
> Coppermine etc could be screaming like the South
> County middle school crew. There might even be
> more of them.

Ok this does not make a bit of sense. what are you trying to say?

Posted by: SL supporter ()
Date: January 10, 2008 03:06PM

Why would you send your kids to Chantilly instead of South Lakes? Do you want your kids around poedophiles or something? I just don't get it. Is being around minorities worse than being around poedophile teachers? I guess for some people it is.

Date: January 10, 2008 03:20PM

SLVerity Wrote:
> I questioned the integrity of your
> argument, not your integrity. You know, sorta
> like the integrity of a boat's hull. There is a
> difference. You do seem to not like South Lakes
> very much. Go back and re-read your posts and
> see if you don't recognize a trend. If I am
> wrong, then please accept my apologies.
>
Some words carry emotion. You previously responded with great emotion when you thought your integrity had been challenged. May I therefore suggest you question the "validity" or the "logic" of arguments instead of their "integrity"?

Our society encourages "We're Number One!" rah-rah support of our schools. Perhaps you see that as not liking other schools "very much." Do you agree that it is not hypocritical to see the flaws at your school, yet want to remain there and improve it?

Since my support of my school and antipathy towards this redistricting proposal do not carry any particular "animus" [to use another of your words] towards South Lakes, yes, you are wrong, and I accept your apology.

So let's get back to the discussion. You write, "I am willing to compromise by making the program at South Lakes a blended one." I keep writing that in FCPS you cannot have both programs in the same high school. Are you willing to listen to and discuss reasons why not?

Posted by: zumbapappy ()
Date: January 10, 2008 03:24PM

Do any of the schools int he county offer zumba?

Date: January 10, 2008 03:27PM

SLVerity Wrote:
> I ran into a member on the bus, and since someone
> had posted info about Fox Mill that I didn't think
> was right, I asked for confirmation. The school
> board member also told me that 20 years ago the
> Fox Mill community did not want to move to Oakton
> and fought to stay at Herndon. Now of course many
> don't want to leave Oakton. Some things never
> change, I guess. People in general don't like to
> move, but as time passes they adapt and come to
> like their new locale.

On the bus? What bus? Just curious what bus a school board member would be riding.

Posted by: Tia2 ()
Date: January 10, 2008 03:30PM

The "short one"!

Posted by: Leen ()
Date: January 10, 2008 03:30PM

Neen Wrote:
> SLVerity Wrote:
> -----
> someone
> think
> school
> Oakton
> many
> to
>
> On the bus? What bus? Just curious what bus a
> school board member would be riding.

Who said anything about a school bus? There are other buses in the area besides school buses. Ever hear of commuter buses? Sounds like you have been riding around in the cold with your top down again.

Posted by: Lee Parent ()
Date: January 10, 2008 03:31PM

The silence is deafening from the "Holier than thou" Chantilly parents on today's arrest of one of their own. I guess the SL parents are enjoying the fact that at least they don't have sexual predators working out of their school.

This should be a lesson to all the parents who were trashing SL.

Date: January 10, 2008 03:32PM

>>>Cons:
1. This is an ill-conceived redistricting study to begin with, and should be scrapped.<<<<

That appears to the consensus opinion.

Date: January 10, 2008 03:34PM

Neen Wrote:
> SLVerity Wrote:
> -----
> someone
> think
> school
> Oakton
> many
> to
>

Yeah, I thought that was interesting how she(he)ran into a sb member on the bus and discussed Fox Mill..even though anybody has the right to talk to any SB member.

Date: January 10, 2008 03:47PM

Leen Wrote:
> Neen Wrote:
> -----
> > SLVerity Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > I ran into a member on the bus, and since
> > someone
> > > had posted info about Fox Mill that I didn't
> > think
> > > was right, I asked for confirmation. The
> > school
> > > board member also told me that 20 years ago
> the
> > > Fox Mill community did not want to move to
> > Oakton
> > > and fought to stay at Herndon. Now of course
> > many
> > > don't want to leave Oakton. Some things
> never
> > > change, I guess. People in general don't
> like
> > to
> > > move, but as time passes they adapt and come
> to
> > > like their new locale.
> >
> > On the bus? What bus? Just curious what bus a
> > school board member would be riding.
>
> Who said anything about a school bus? There are
> other buses in the area besides school buses.
> Ever hear of commuter buses? Sounds like you have
> been riding around in the cold with your top down
> again.

Hi there! You're back, under yet another nic.

No one has mentioned school buses, other than you.

It appears you had a bit of a Freudian reading slip. I guess it was a school bus where SLVerity met you, I mean, met her school board member.

PSSSTTTT......SLVerity doesn't commute anywhere since she isn't working outside the home. But, bless your heart, you are trying.

Now, can we please return to the positive for ALL the kids? What will South Lakes offer the incoming parents and students, other than diversity?

Posted by: Parent ()
Date: January 10, 2008 03:50PM

Neen Wrote:
> Now, can we please return to the positive for ALL
> the kids? What will South Lakes offer the incoming
> parents and students, other than diversity?

Poedophile free school. Something Chantilly can't.

Date: January 10, 2008 03:56PM

According to today's Washington Post, the new boundary changes will reduce the NUMBER of free and reduced lunch children. I wonder where they will go?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/09/AR2008010901292.html

The last paragraph:
>>>The plan would lower the number of South Lakes students who receive free or reduced-price lunches, a measure of poverty.<<<

Also:
>>>>Gibson said he is committed to bringing more programs and students to South Lakes.<<<<

Interesting that he said 'more programs'. That sounds like they might be considering an AP program. Perhaps they will change the staffing ratio so that South Lakes will have both AP and IB. Is that a good thing? I don't know because it would most likely mean that in a few years they would begin to phase out IB and many in the current South Lakes boundaries are very committed to IB.

What do you think? Perhaps Mr. Gibson simply meant more programs like the culinary institute.

Date: January 10, 2008 04:26PM

Parent Wrote:
> Poedophile free school. Something Chantilly
> can't.

Glass houses and throwing stones. You won't go far down this path before you will have to explain the female gym teacher and her inappropriate relations with female students.

Posted by: SLHS Padre ()
Date: January 10, 2008 04:29PM

Baffled Wrote:
> Neen Wrote:
> -----
> > SLVerity Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > someone
> > think
> > school
> the
> > Oakton
> > many
> never
> like
> > to
> to
> >
> > On the bus? What bus? Just curious what bus a
> > school board member would be riding.
>
>
> Yeah, I thought that was interesting how
> she(he)ran into a sb member on the bus and
> discussed Fox Mill..even though anybody has the
> right to talk to any SB member.

See, e.g., Seinfeld Episode - The Outing -- "Not that there's anything wrong with it!".

You folks are quite excellent at the innuendo/slime game,,,,and then at departing with the "Let's return to loftier planes of discourse....SLHS sucks and is a hoodlum school, and has SAT scores hundreds of points below its neighbors". Not factual, but who cares? It could win the struggle.....Why pretend?

Neen used "consensus" in the Castro/Kibaki way ("I see no one is opposed to what I say...so I'll say it for the next five hours".

She and you -- by association -- follow the Malcolm X credo of "By Any Means Necessary." Right on with your bad selves.

Date: January 10, 2008 04:34PM

Forum Reader Wrote:
> Parent Wrote:
> > Poedophile free school. Something Chantilly
> > can't.
>
> Glass houses and throwing stones. You won't go far
> down this path before you will have to explain the
> female gym teacher and her inappropriate relations
> with female students.

Show me the arrest report.

Posted by: quantum ()
Date: January 10, 2008 04:34PM

Parent - I like to think I am a very tough minded guy and am the last to whine that tough talk is insulting and demeaning - people should stand on their own two feet and defend their ideas.

But whether it is Chantilly or South Lakes or Oakton or whatever, if a school has a pedophile/teacher in their midst, and particularly given just how vulnerable or easily manipulated so many young teen kids can be, I find little to joke about with pedophiles, who rank the highest of all criminals when it comes to recidivism. And axiomatically, it is out of bounds to impute that circumstance to the school, at least without hard evidence that the school was aware of the problem and failed to timely act on it, which I find hard to believe in this day and age.

Ok - deem me wimpy and humorless if you will - but just a perspective.

Date: January 10, 2008 04:39PM

quantum Wrote:
> Parent - I like to think I am a very tough minded
> guy and am the last to whine that tough talk is
> insulting and demeaning - people should stand on
> their own two feet and defend their ideas.
>
> But whether it is Chantilly or South Lakes or
> Oakton or whatever, if a school has a
> pedophile/teacher in their midst, and particularly
> given just how vulnerable or easily manipulated so
> many young teen kids can be, I find little to joke
> about with pedophiles, who rank the highest of all
> criminals when it comes to recidivism. And
> axiomatically, it is out of bounds to impute that
> circumstance to the school, at least without hard
> evidence that the school was aware of the problem
> and failed to timely act on it, which I find hard
> to believe in this day and age.
>
> Ok - deem me wimpy and humorless if you will - but
> just a perspective.

"Arlington police say they began investigating McGuire several months ago." Somebody dropped the ball. Several months? Arlington should have notified FCPD and FCPS and he should have been removed. It may have jeopardized a case, but how many kids were in harm's way while this pervert was allowed to stay at the school?

Date: January 10, 2008 04:40PM

quantum Wrote:
> Parent - I like to think I am a very tough minded
> guy and am the last to whine that tough talk is
> insulting and demeaning - people should stand on
> their own two feet and defend their ideas.
>
> But whether it is Chantilly or South Lakes or
> Oakton or whatever, if a school has a
> pedophile/teacher in their midst, and particularly
> given just how vulnerable or easily manipulated so
> many young teen kids can be, I find little to joke
> about with pedophiles, who rank the highest of all
> criminals when it comes to recidivism. And
> axiomatically, it is out of bounds to impute that
> circumstance to the school, at least without hard
> evidence that the school was aware of the problem
> and failed to timely act on it, which I find hard
> to believe in this day and age.
>
> Ok - deem me wimpy and humorless if you will - but
> just a perspective.

Don't you get it yet, Quantum? Rationality has very little to do with this entire thread. I dare say if this had happened at South Lakes, all kinds of blame would be put on the administration, etc, whether it was deserved or not.

What SLHS Padre said. Neen thrives where reason fails.

Date: January 10, 2008 05:08PM

Neen Wrote:
> SLVerity Wrote:

>

How about a commuter bus. Strange thing to be curious about.

Date: January 10, 2008 05:22PM

Forum Reader Wrote:

> So let's get back to the discussion. You write, "I
> am willing to compromise by making the program at
> South Lakes a blended one." I keep writing that in
> FCPS you cannot have both programs in the same
> high school. Are you willing to listen to and
> discuss reasons why not?

I guess I am a can-do person. I don't see the impediments that you see. It happens all the time at other IB schools in Virginia. Perhaps we (South Lakes) can be the model for the other IB schools in the County (not counting Robinson because of its size). Just because things have been done one way in the past does not mean they cannot be changed for the future. The IBO changed several things while my children were involved. I'll bet that when you were fighting for Woodson you didn't let the fact that you were setting a precedent stop you.

Let's look at how we can serve the needs and desires of the current South Lakes community and the families coming in.

Date: January 10, 2008 05:29PM

Neen Wrote:

> It appears you had a bit of a Freudian reading
> slip. I guess it was a school bus where SLVerity
> met you, I mean, met her school board member.
>
> PSSSTTTT......SLVerity doesn't commute anywhere
> since she isn't working outside the home. But,
> bless your heart, you are trying.
>
> Now, can we please return to the positive for ALL
> the kids? What will South Lakes offer the incoming
> parents and students, other than diversity?

This has to be one of the most pitiful posts yet written. I did not post as Leen. My car was in the shop, I needed to go downtown to meet a client, I took a commuter bus to West Falls Church Metro. I saw a SB member on the bus.

See. It's very simple. Now, why are you so concerned with my comings and goings? If you want to return to the kids, please stop wasting bandwidth with your strange conspiracy theories.

Date: January 10, 2008 05:30PM

Neen Wrote:
> According to today's Washington Post, the new
> boundary changes will reduce the NUMBER of free
> and reduced lunch children. I wonder where they
> will go?
>

Since when did you believe everything you read in the Wash Post?

Date: January 10, 2008 05:31PM

Forum Reader Wrote:
> Parent Wrote:
> > Poedophile free school. Something Chantilly
> > can't.
>
> Glass houses and throwing stones.

I totally agree, Forum Reader. Watershed moment! Many schools in Fairfax have had similar employees and they are not a reflection on the school.

Posted by: RealityCheck ()
Date: January 10, 2008 05:34PM

SLHS Parent Wrote:

>
> I'm not branding everyone - only those who deserve
> it. No one with eyes, ears, and a brain who has
> read this forum or attended the meetings can doubt
> that fear and elitism are strong undercurrents in
> this debate.

I have eyes, ears and a brain, and it looks to me that this is a red herring
thrown into the discussion by the SLHS crowd to confuse the discussion by
impugning the character of anyone who, for a variety of perfectly good reasons, simply prefers their current high school assignment to a switch to South Lakes

> Fox Mill and Floris parents of
> conscience should be just as offended as SLHS
> parents.
>

Listen up! One of your betters is telling you how to think!

> The only
> people who have standing to make these decisions
> are our elected public officials, who must make
> their decision based on the merits and based on
> the highest standards of public trust.

Said officials have said that they are in the process of making a decision, and they have asked for input from the public. The public is providing its input. You seem to be in the minority.

Date: January 10, 2008 05:35PM

SLHS Padre Wrote:

> Neen used "consensus" in the Castro/Kibaki way ("I
> see no one is opposed to what I say...so I'll say
> it for the next five hours".
>
> She and you -- by association -- follow the
> Malcolm X credo of "By Any Means Necessary."
> Right on with your bad selves.

I think (opinion, not fact) that they also believe "The End Justifies the Means."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2008 05:44PM by SLVerity.

Date: January 10, 2008 05:57PM

SLVerity Wrote:
> How about a commuter bus. Strange thing to be curious about.

It's really not that hard to understand.

Many folks interested in this exercise have not been able to gain access to Mr. Gibson or other School Board members as readily and frequently as some officers of the South Lakes PTSA and the South Lakes Boundary Study Group.

The working assumption is enhanced access results in enhanced influence that results in preferential treatment. It's why there is a K Street in Washington D. C. and not a Maple Street in Shawnee Mission, Kansas

I cannot speculate on whether it's true or not in your specific case but that is the source of the curiosity.

Date: January 10, 2008 06:06PM

You know, my spouse rides the bus most every day with the same SB member, because they happen to commute at the same time. Does that mean my spouse has undo access, or is just trying make a living?

Date: January 10, 2008 06:14PM

Parent Wrote:
> Show me the arrest report.

Parent, on this even SLV writes: "I totally agree, Forum Reader. Watershed moment! Many schools in Fairfax have had similar employees and they are not a reflection on the school."

So unless you want to take both of us on, I suggest you drop this sub-sub-sub topic.

Date: January 10, 2008 06:25PM

Please, don't say 'even SLV.' Do you want to give me a complex?

Posted by: Oakton Parent ()
Date: January 10, 2008 06:32PM

It was pretty hard to wade through the condescenscion in that response, but to focus on the punchline:

> The only
> people who have standing to make these decisions
> are our elected public officials, who must make
> their decision based on the merits and based on
> the highest standards of public trust.

If there was reason to think the public trust was well placed, this thread would be a very short discussion. Several people here (and elsewhere) think we're being kept in the dark and fed ummm "fertilizer", while we're told half-truths, and the parameters of the process are rigged to produce a predetermined outome.

Staff probably wouldn't call that input "helpful" tho.

Posted by: WestfieldDad ()
Date: January 10, 2008 06:45PM

SLVerity Wrote:
>
> In a few years, when the McMansions
> are out of vogue, we will be right in style along
> with you!

But if that is true, won't the SL projections be wrong on the low side and Westfield projections wrong on the high side? Won't NE Floris, with it's dreaded McMansions, get to be kicked out of its currently proclaimed permanent home yet again?

Posted by: RealityCheck ()
Date: January 10, 2008 06:57PM

Restonian Wrote:
> RealityCheck Wrote:
> In FME I don't see the kind of
> > lots that would make you want
> > > to stay in place rather than move up and out.
> >
> > Sounds like you have a long-term demographic
> > problem over there. I wouldn't expect this
> > boundary shuffle to provide lasting relief.
>
> Why not? What do you predict will happen to FME
> and the portion of Floris being considered for
> redistricting?
>

I would expect the demographics of the school to be driven by the demographics of the majority of the district, which will be determined by the housing choices in Reston, since that will be the bulk of the housing, even if redistricting goes through. I can't predict what will happen in Floris and FME. Time will tell.

> >
> > > Fox Mill is the closest elementary school to
> > South
> > > Lakes High School, and South Lakes needs more
> > > students feeding into it.
> > >
> >
> > And everyone else exists to serve the needs of
> > South Lakes?
>
> Our county school system should make changes as
> needed to serve the students in the system fairly.

That reads like a common deception tactic: misrepresent the narrow interests of the few (a fraction of the SLHS community) as the broad interests of the many (the entire county) in order to gain support for a position.

A teacher friend of mine told me that life generally stops being fair after third grade.

Posted by: taxpayer ()
Date: January 10, 2008 07:12PM

huh? Wrote:
> taxpayer Wrote:
> -----
> > SLVerity Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > someone
> > think
> > school
> the
> > Oakton
> > many
> never
> like
> > to
> to
> >
> > most epople generally think of Flrois and Fox
> mill
> > as Lower Herndon areas on the way to Chantilly.
>
> > Aldrin is Reston. Fox Mill and Oakton are like
> > Langley and parts of Forestville on a much
> smaller
> > scale or driving distance. FCPS shuld be glad
> Fox
> > mill has been willing to commute or they all
> plus
> > Floris, Oak Hill, McNair, Crossfiled, new
> > Coppermine etc could be screaming like the
> South
> > County middle school crew. There might even be
> > more of them.
>
>
>
> Ok this does not make a bit of sense. what are
> you trying to say?

distance to schools and areas demanding new construction when there is open renovated capacity at a reasonable distance from the residences. look at the boundary maps - people who can go to lake Braddock refuse and therefore want a new school built via bumping other CIP projects.

I didn't hear any one testifying at the CIP public hearings asking for a new high school in West County. Did they??

Posted by: Berdhuis ()
Date: January 10, 2008 07:21PM

SLVerity Wrote:
> WestfieldMom Wrote:
>
> > > The attachment says it all. When SLHS
> arrives
> > at
> > > full strength, it will be hands-down the best
> > high
> > > school in Fairfax County, if not the entire
> U.S.
>
> We will still be much more diverse than
> Westfield:)

And we in McNair will still be much more diverse than South Lakes.

Date: January 10, 2008 07:24PM

Neen Wrote:
> >>>Cons:
> 1. This is an ill-conceived redistricting study to
> begin with, and should be scrapped.<<<<
>
> That appears to the consensus opinion.

I have thought so all along, but I fear that the SB won't have the courage to admit it.

Did anyone else here attend the meeting Monday night at Fox Mill with our reps Plum and Herring?

Posted by: Another Lurker ()
Date: January 10, 2008 07:45PM

SLVerity Wrote:
> You know, my spouse rides the bus most every day
> with the same SB member, because they happen to
> commute at the same time. Does that mean my
> spouse has undo access, or is just trying make a
> living?

If your spouse DOES have undo access, have him undo this whole boundary study, please...
...or did you mean UNDUE access?

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)

Pages: PreviousFirst...7273747576777879808182...LastNext
Current Page: 77 of 189

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.