HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: PreviousFirst...176177178179180181182183184185186...LastNext
Current Page: 181 of 189
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: south lakes sports ()
Date: October 20, 2008 12:45PM

South Lakes has excelled in track and field. And their record extends well beyond Alan Webb, although a once in a lifetime talent like Webb does help in establishing national records, which through Webb South Lakes holds in both individual and relay events. South Lakes Distance Medley national relay record is really a challenging one.

But as last year's boys performance can attest, SL does generally have a strong track team. Kudos to them.

Track kids are usually pretty disciplined and good kids - and it is a sport that can attract a diverse cross section of kids. If I were the principal, I would strongly support the sport as a great means to get the community together. And that would be helpful in a time of transition.

And TM - I see your point. Football is all about numbers. From a large group, a certain number (who also learn to love to hit) rise to the top. It is difficult for SLHS to have the depth to compete against bigger schools, including Herndon. I suspect nevertheless that given the close geographic connection it is a game that many kids still want to play.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: HS low achievement ()
Date: October 20, 2008 02:18PM

ACT: Thirty-three percent of Fairfax County Public Schools seniors ready for college
-- Why pay high taxes for low achievement?

According to the ACT college admissions test, only 33 percent of Fairfax County Public Schools seniors are ready for college. See excerpts from the ACT college admissions test 2007 profile (pdf file) for Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS).

This report was obtained from FCPS. However, FCPS does not post it on the school website and does not mention it in its annual budget statement about student achievement.

According to the ACT profile, of the 2,144 FCPS seniors taking the ACT in 2007:

80 percent were prepared for college English composition
64 percent were prepared for college social science
59 percent were prepared for college algebra
39 percent were prepared for college biology.

Overall, 33 percent of FCPS seniors were prepared for college-level study in all four categories.

Statewide and nationwide, 23 percent of Virginia and United States high school seniors were prepared for college-level work in all four categories.

The better-known SAT college admissions test does not identify benchmark scores indicating college readiness.

Posted by: small number of test takers ()
Date: October 20, 2008 10:31PM

2144 kids is what percentage of FCPS seniors? Not too many, I am willing to bet. I believe that not many kids take the ACT exam. Is 2144 a large enough sample to make such as statement as the ones quoted below using words such as failure? I don't think so, I know some very bright FCPS students who are doing/have done very well in college and none took the ACT exam.

HS low achievement Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ACT: Thirty-three percent of Fairfax County Public
> Schools seniors ready for college
> -- Why pay high taxes for low achievement?
>
> According to the ACT college admissions test, only
> 33 percent of Fairfax County Public Schools
> seniors are ready for college. See excerpts from
> the ACT college admissions test 2007 profile (pdf
> file) for Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS).
>
> This report was obtained from FCPS. However, FCPS
> does not post it on the school website and does
> not mention it in its annual budget statement
> about student achievement.
>
> According to the ACT profile, of the 2,144 FCPS
> seniors taking the ACT in 2007:
>
> 80 percent were prepared for college English
> composition
> 64 percent were prepared for college social
> science
> 59 percent were prepared for college algebra
> 39 percent were prepared for college biology.
>
> Overall, 33 percent of FCPS seniors were prepared
> for college-level study in all four categories.
>
> Statewide and nationwide, 23 percent of Virginia
> and United States high school seniors were
> prepared for college-level work in all four
> categories.
>
> The better-known SAT college admissions test does
> not identify benchmark scores indicating college
> readiness.

Posted by: Thomas More ()
Date: October 21, 2008 01:21PM

south lakes sports Wrote:
> > I suspect nevertheless that given the close geographic connection it is a game that many kids still want to play.< <

By the time they are seniors, SL footballers and other athletes are tired of getting pummeled for 4 years by Herndon, a certain resigned hopelessness sets it. Madison is a much more appropriately sized "rival" and Madison is just as geographically proximate as Herndon.

BTW does track compete against other schools one on one? If son what SL's record against Herndon in track?

Posted by: slkid ()
Date: October 21, 2008 11:07PM

Thomas More, thats just not true. The vast majority of the students at South Lakes want to play Herndon in all sports. No one here cares about Madison.

Posted by: tandy ()
Date: October 22, 2008 09:37AM

slkid Wrote:
> Thomas More, thats just not true. The vast
> majority of the students at South Lakes want to
> play Herndon in all sports. No one here cares
> about Madison.

Agree with Thomas More, why Herndon? Who cares about Herndon? aren't they the kids with parents who don't want anything to do with South Lakes (except pulverize them in sports)?

Posted by: slkid ()
Date: October 22, 2008 12:52PM

Half of Reston goes to Herndon. Its a town rivalry. South Lakes kids generally know more kids that go to Herndon than any other HS in the area from youth sports/scouts/etc. Im a student at South Lakes...who are you to say that the rivalry with Herndon doesn't matter...

Posted by: slcoach ()
Date: October 22, 2008 01:38PM

I have to agree with slkid. I am a SL coach and the teams and players sometimes care about the Herndon games more than the district games. It draws a bigger crowd because the fans care also. If SL decided to not schedule a Herndon game or match, there would be a lot of unhappy kids.

You can't choose your rival. It comes from tradition.

Also, SL wants to stay in the Liberty district and has no plans to go to the Concorde. Any other information you have heard is incorrect.

I can also say from a coaching standpoint that the kids we received from re-districting like the school and are happy. Believe it because we see it first hand.

Posted by: GUB ()
Date: October 22, 2008 01:46PM

slcoach Wrote:
> I have to agree with slkid. I am a SL coach and
> the teams and players sometimes care about the
> Herndon games more than the district games. It
> draws a bigger crowd because the fans care also.
> If SL decided to not schedule a Herndon game or
> match, there would be a lot of unhappy kids.
>
> You can't choose your rival. It comes from
> tradition.
>

> Also, SL wants to stay in the Liberty district and
> has no plans to go to the Concorde. Any other
> information you have heard is incorrect.
>

Guess this is why, "the half of Reston kids" who go to Herndon couldn't be redestricted. Then there would be no rivalry. Kids would have to go to school with kids they know, love and grew up with. And who would want that? Never mind the loss of income from hot dog sales that the rivalry generates.

Posted by: track meets ()
Date: October 22, 2008 04:34PM

Thomas More - there are dual meets in track (or triangular meets). But success in dual or triangular meets does not necessarily correlate with success at the biggest meets, where a team really has to have a core of regional or state level athletes to score.

Depth in the relays helps in any meet, though, and while Herndon has some excellent athletes (including a wonderful story with a recent immigrant from Sri Lanka who has become a state champion and is favored to win cross country this fall), they weren't touching SL in any of the sprint relays and related single events last year. Having four 50 second 400 meters runners brings success in at least 5 running events and given the skill overlap a few field events too.

I hope SL coach is right and the kids are happy. Further, I hope these increased numbers show some interest in track - a great sport for self-discipline and health and fitness. It is truly a racially and ethnically diverse sport, too, with a significant absence of politics. The stopwatch and measuring tape are objective - not nearly as much room for coaches favorites. And it is relatively affordable too....if the kids can swing the cost of spikes, uniforms are relatively cheap, and most meets host hundreds of athletes at once.

Posted by: HUH? ()
Date: October 22, 2008 07:29PM

track meets Wrote:
> Thomas More - there are dual meets in track (or
> triangular meets). But success in dual or
> triangular meets does not necessarily correlate
> with success at the biggest meets, where a team
> really has to have a core of regional or state
> level athletes to score.
>
> Depth in the relays helps in any meet, though, and
> while Herndon has some excellent athletes
> (including a wonderful story with a recent
> immigrant from Sri Lanka who has become a state
> champion and is favored to win cross country this
> fall), they weren't touching SL in any of the
> sprint relays and related single events last year.
> Having four 50 second 400 meters runners brings
> success in at least 5 running events and given the
> skill overlap a few field events too.
>
> I hope SL coach is right and the kids are happy.
> Further, I hope these increased numbers show some
> interest in track - a great sport for
> self-discipline and health and fitness. It is
> truly a racially and ethnically diverse sport,
> too, with a significant absence of politics. The
> stopwatch and measuring tape are objective - not
> nearly as much room for coaches favorites. And it
> is relatively affordable too....if the kids can
> swing the cost of spikes, uniforms are relatively
> cheap, and most meets host hundreds of athletes at
> once.

So far the FM kids RD'd to SL seem just fine about it (and the few FL kids I know are too). Even parents who were very much against the RD (and perhaps still are) want their kids to have a great HS experience no matter where they go to school. And, parents seem very happy with the teachers, although just about everyone would prefer AP (vs IB) for their kids. My 9th grader pupil placed out, but all of his friends who are going to SL are perfectly happy about it. No gang or other negative problems that have floated around in this forum and other places. I do know that a big handful of FM freshmen boys have joined the freshmen football team and several joined crosscountry.

Date: October 23, 2008 02:32PM

slkid Wrote:
> >Thomas More, thats just not true. The vast majority of the students at South Lakes want to play Herndon in all sports. No one here cares about Madison.< <

They like losing every year? Are they all masochists?

Date: October 23, 2008 02:34PM

slkid Wrote:
> Half of Reston goes to Herndon. Its a town rivalry. South Lakes kids generally know more kids that go to Herndon than any other HS in the area from youth sports/scouts/etc. Im a student at South Lakes...who are you to say that the rivalry with Herndon doesn't matter...< <

It's not a rivalry if you lose all of the time. Unless you enjoy losing.

Date: October 23, 2008 02:43PM

slcoach Wrote:
> > I have to agree with slkid. I am a SL coach and the teams and players sometimes care about the Herndon games more than the district games. It draws a bigger crowd because the fans care also.<<

Based on what? proximity?

> > If SL decided to not schedule a Herndon game or match, there would be a lot of unhappy kids.< <

Kids like losing? What's the football record 3 and 23? What's the record in every other sport?

SL and Herndon are competitive in basketball. That's it as far as I know.

Identify another sport where SL is competitive with HHS>

> You can't choose your rival. It comes from tradition.< <

Since SL isn't 30 years old, it's absurd to claim anything is a tradition.

Institutions actually do chose their rivals by selecting competitors who are comparable in size and ability and against whom they have a chance to win approximately 50% of the time.

That does not define HHS. SL plays HHS in football for the money, honey.

> Also, SL wants to stay in the Liberty district and has no plans to go to the Concorde. Any other information you have heard is incorrect.< <

That assertion is a direct quite from Mr. Butler. Go argue with him.

Posted by: thomasstfu ()
Date: October 23, 2008 04:12PM

South Lakes is too 30 years old.

Posted by: Berdhuis ()
Date: October 28, 2008 09:00PM

Are you guys asleep out there?! I go away for a week and this thread almost gets pushed to the second page on this forum, and into oblivion. Don't make me intervene like this again.

Posted by: Another Floris Mom ()
Date: October 28, 2008 11:35PM

Sorry dude, we at Floris are too busy getting redistricted again.

Plus I am busy at my second job trying to pay the bills for Gatehouse II so FCPS staff can plot against my children and neighborhood in comfort and luxury.

Berdhuis Wrote:
> Are you guys asleep out there?! I go away for a
> week and this thread almost gets pushed to the
> second page on this forum, and into oblivion.
> Don't make me intervene like this again.

Posted by: WestfieldDad ()
Date: October 29, 2008 07:03PM

Not to worry, Berdhuis gets to join in the redistricting fun with us. He's from McNair.

Another Floris Mom Wrote:
> Sorry dude, we at Floris are too busy getting
> redistricted again.
>
> Plus I am busy at my second job trying to pay the
> bills for Gatehouse II so FCPS staff can plot
> against my children and neighborhood in comfort
> and luxury.
>
>
>
> Berdhuis Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Are you guys asleep out there?! I go away for a
> > week and this thread almost gets pushed to the
> > second page on this forum, and into oblivion.
> > Don't make me intervene like this again.

Date: October 29, 2008 08:03PM

Hey there, WestfieldDad, you're right! This Coppermine redistricting is such a hoot. Well, since the School Board is building a new structure here, one option is to move their offices there, instead. How many out there would just LOVE to have them oh so near...?

WestfieldDad Wrote:
> Not to worry, Berdhuis gets to join in the
> redistricting fun with us. He's from McNair.

Posted by: Spartan ()
Date: October 30, 2008 01:55PM

Just curious, who was the South Lakes person in attendance at the West Springfield Town Hall meeting on the 28th and what was your purpose?

Posted by: SLsenior ()
Date: October 30, 2008 05:37PM

I go to SL and I play a varsity sport and we rarely win against Herndon but I do know that if we received our schedule and Herndon wasn't on it the team wouldn't be happy. Herndon is our rival and we can't just change that because we would rather play someone we can beat.

Date: October 31, 2008 05:24PM

SLsenior Wrote:
> >I go to SL and I play a varsity sport and we rarely win against Herndon but I do know that if we received our schedule and Herndon wasn't on it the team wouldn't be happy. Herndon is our rival and we can't just change that because we would rather play someone we can beat.< <

So you enjoy losing? 22 times out of 25? This is one description of a masochist.

If you lose 22 out of 25, you're not a rival; you're a homecoming or senior night cupcake.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2008 09:42PM by Thomas More.

Posted by: graymoose ()
Date: November 01, 2008 12:03AM

How much longer are all of you people going to bitch about this topic.
Give it a rest

Posted by: Bob ()
Date: November 01, 2008 02:34AM

graymoose Wrote:
> How much longer are all of you people going to
> bitch about this topic.
> Give it a rest

We are at page 361, now.

These fools are all worked up, their panties are all in a bunch, and they have been working this issue on a meaningless website for months, instead of actually doing something about it. They could actually go to FCPS board meetings.

They are too stupid to understand they have about 3 choices.

They can choose to send their children to a private school, any of the 100+ really good private schools in the area: Gonzaga, Paul VI, Georgetown Day School, Potomac School, Madeira, Ireton, O'Connel, Flint Hill, etc.

Or they could send their kids to the top ranked (and sometimes second ranked) public school.

Or they can home school their kids.

They have 100+ choices in the private school market, and yet they decide to be good little citizens and subjects of their county supervisors who decide their children's future based on politics and fiscal choices. They are too institutionalized to choose to take their own children's future into their own hands and pay for the education they best feel will provide the future they want for their children.

Way to be subjects of the "crown", or the current political power.

Posted by: No choice ()
Date: November 01, 2008 03:18AM

The Crown makes us give them our money, but they won't give it back so we can choose a private school for our kids.

Posted by: Mom of three ()
Date: November 01, 2008 03:22AM

Sorry Bob, we just can't afford $75,000 a year to send our 3 kids to Potomac school or Flint Hill. So we're stuck with whatever the Crown decides to give us. Currently that means a daughter stuck in South Lakes until we can sell our house and move to a better school district.

Date: November 01, 2008 03:23AM

No choice Wrote:
> The Crown makes us give them our money, but they
> won't give it back so we can choose a private
> school for our kids.

I pay taxes too. Everyone does.

In fact, for a long time, I didn't have children. I still paid taxes.

I still pay taxes.

If I want to send my children to a school that I CHOOSE, I can maybe figure out a way to afford it, and I can adjust my lifestyle in order to take care of my kids first, and then spend like a moron to keep up with my neighbors, second.

What is your priority? Your kids? Or your status?

Date: November 01, 2008 03:38AM

Mom of three Wrote:
> Sorry Bob, we just can't afford $75,000 a year to
> send our 3 kids to Potomac school or Flint Hill.
> So we're stuck with whatever the Crown decides to
> give us. Currently that means a daughter stuck in
> South Lakes until we can sell our house and move
> to a better school district.

$75,000 a year???? Really? More than most COLLEGES?? Wow. You are totally lost.

Paul VI is only about $9,270 per year. Potomac School is only $27,445. Granted, that is a bit expensive, but you don't have to send your kids there to get a good education. Potomac is definitely a high end school.

My parents sent me to Paul VI at about 6 or 7K a year in the mid 80's, and they had to take out loans to send my sister to Madeira. But we both ended up, now in our late 30's, early 40's, making 6 figure incomes. We both own our own homes, and have vacation properties and very sizable retirement portfolios.

All of the neighborhood friends I stay in contact with from when I was a kid who went to public school are doing okay, but are trying to figure out how to get by in the long run, and cannot hang onto their heavily mortgaged properties.

When I said "own our own homes", I forgot to differentiate from the people who think they "own their home" while paying a mortgage. You don't own your own home until you stop paying a bank to live there. It's just like with owning a car, until the bank mails the title to you, you don't own it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2008 03:40AM by Bob.

Posted by: Parent of 2 ()
Date: November 01, 2008 06:21AM

"$75,000 a year???? Really? More than most COLLEGES?? Wow. You are totally lost."

Bob. maybe you are the one who is totally lost. Do you realize that maybe the Mom of three was referring to THREE of her kids all going to Potomac school and totalling around $75K a year if they chose to?

Just out of curiousity, why did your parents send you to private school? You own a home (not own until the bank hands you the title after the mortgage is paid of according to your post) and your neighorhood friends who went to public school are doing ok and struggling to hang on to their heavily mortgaged properties?

Posted by: Fx homeowner ()
Date: November 01, 2008 11:07AM

Bob Wrote:

> When I said "own our own homes", I forgot to
> differentiate from the people who think they "own
> their home" while paying a mortgage. You don't
> own your own home until you stop paying a bank to
> live there. It's just like with owning a car,
> until the bank mails the title to you, you don't
> own it.

Psst. Bob, your dumbass is showing.

So if I buy a $600k home putting down 10% ($60k) and the home drops in value to $500k is the bank going to adjust my loan downward from $540k because they "own my home"? Likewise, if the home appreciates to $700k does the bank then get any profit from the increased value?

Isn't that what "ownership" really entails, obtaining funds at a fixed/adjustable interest rate and assuming the risk of appreciation/depreciation? I guess your private school education never covered basic business 101 concepts. You really impressed everyone on this message board though.

Posted by: Psst ()
Date: November 01, 2008 10:06PM

graymoose Wrote:
> How much longer are all of you people going to
> bitch about this topic.
> Give it a rest

I agree, greymoose, this really is getting old. But then every once in awhile some dope, like Bob, shows up and thinks he can offer something fresh, intellectual, thoughtful...of course Bob is too slow to go back and read the 361 pages to figure out the topic has been beat to death and his high and mighty good intentions are a waste. However, it is kind of fun to watch these fools get pummeled and mocked. So in that case maybe it is ok, that this is still going and besides Lambchop hasn't been around for awhile to sing her song.

Posted by: ToTop ()
Date: November 05, 2008 10:21AM

Anybody seen Neen, lately?

Posted by: tubby ()
Date: November 05, 2008 09:18PM

ToTop Wrote:
> Anybody seen Neen, lately?

She threw a brick at her TV on election night and the flying glass injured her.

She'll be back to rail against that democrat controlled school board (and White House, and US Congress and US Senate), though.

Posted by: brian ()
Date: November 07, 2008 07:51PM

i only read a couple posts but

a) we get up for every herndon game no matter what and we never experience "resigned hoplessness"

and

b) madison is our secondary rival. its usually the biggest district game for most teams (the competitive ones, anyway... sorry field hockey) and basketball has a pep rally every year before the madison game

Date: November 07, 2008 08:14PM

it is easy to judge a program by the box scores but with south lakes football it is deeper than that. the problem lies with the coaches, particularly ellenberger, who has the worst active record (12-39) in the northern region. all coaches with lower active winning percentages at their respective schools have been there less than 2 years. ellenberger should not be the head man, simple as that. running on 3rd and long EVERY TIME? really? throw it up. every year the coaches from other schools acknowledge how good sl's athletes are and really this is a backhanded job at the coaching staff because they can't put anything together. the lone bright spot was the defense this year. they were one of the best run defenses in the region this year. make the d-coordinator head coach!

www.firejohnellenberger.com

Date: November 07, 2008 10:06PM

Back to high school redistricting.

High School redistricting = Coppermine redistricting

Check out http://www.fcps.edu/fts/planning/coppermine/option1map11072008.pdf

Note that the Floris area that gets kicked out of Floris is the same area that Stu & Co kicked out of Westfield last year.

When Stu Gibson and his SL PTA buddies targeted our neighborhood for South Lakes, they were also drawing the boundaries for chopping us out of our elementary school.

Why are we ground zero for this jerk? Don't move to the targeted area unless you enjoy the annual boundary study and school move.

If you haven't signed the recall Stu petition, sign it now.

Date: November 07, 2008 10:45PM

neighborhood sl fan Wrote:
While I agree that ellenberger is an incompetent, untrustworthy sack and should have been fired 3 years ago, he hasn't been head coach for 25 years and is only partially responsible for the 3 -23 record versus HHS.

> www.firejohnellenberger.com

this isn't a real website according to Google

Date: November 07, 2008 10:55PM

brian Wrote:
> i only read a couple posts but
>
> a) we get up for every herndon game no matter what and we never experience "resigned hoplessness"< <

So you "get up" for losing - all the time. Do you understand the meaning of masochist?

> and
>
> b) madison is our secondary rival. its usually the biggest district game for most teams (the competitive ones, anyway... sorry field hockey) and basketball has a pep rally every year before the madison game.< <

So make Madison the primary rival over which SL prevails more often than HHS.

Date: November 07, 2008 11:05PM

Isn't that a surprise. Two options, one they know will never fly cause it leaves Floris projected to be over capacity and the other just happens to "fix" their NCLB problem at McNair with Floris kids. I'm shocked, just shocked.

I'm sure all of you are, too.

Another Floris Mom Wrote:
> Back to high school redistricting.
>
> High School redistricting = Coppermine
> redistricting
>
> Check out
> http://www.fcps.edu/fts/planning/coppermine/option
> 1map11072008.pdf
>
> Note that the Floris area that gets kicked out of
> Floris is the same area that Stu & Co kicked out
> of Westfield last year.
>
> When Stu Gibson and his SL PTA buddies targeted
> our neighborhood for South Lakes, they were also
> drawing the boundaries for chopping us out of our
> elementary school.
>
> Why are we ground zero for this jerk? Don't move
> to the targeted area unless you enjoy the annual
> boundary study and school move.
>
> If you haven't signed the recall Stu petition,
> sign it now.

Date: November 07, 2008 11:52PM

Wow, what bizarre boundaries the SB has offered for Coppermine; I thought they would abandon the disjointed types, guess not. Well, if they're going to build, then they have to chop up the neighbors somehow.

If it's any consolation to those of you who wind up coming to McNair, we do have top-notch facilities and staff. You won't be disappointed.

Date: November 08, 2008 12:18AM

Berdhuis Wrote:
> Wow, what bizarre boundaries the SB has offered
> for Coppermine; I thought they would abandon the
> disjointed types, guess not. Well, if they're
> going to build, then they have to chop up the
> neighbors somehow.
>

So, Coppermine gets a spectacular start as:

1) A split feeder - the parts north of the Toll Road would go to Herndon HS and MS.
2) With islands - the populated end of Worldgate is at Monroe Street; and
3) Demographics that make it a NCLB/Title 1 candidate.

>
> If it's any consolation to those of you who wind
> up coming to McNair, we do have top-notch
> facilities and staff. You won't be disappointed.

Posted by: boom ()
Date: November 08, 2008 12:28AM

WestfieldDad, how do you know McNair has to fix their NCLB problem with Floris kids?

Date: November 08, 2008 12:48AM

boom Wrote:
> WestfieldDad, how do you know McNair has to fix
> their NCLB problem with Floris kids?

I didn't mean to say that McNair does need any such fix. I meant to say that's the SB thinks so and will. If they don't do something like Option 1, I'll be astounded.

http://www.fcps.edu/fts/planning/coppermine/option1map11072008.pdf

Posted by: boom ()
Date: November 08, 2008 09:45AM

Option 1 leaves Floris significantly under capacity, Option 2 leaves both McNair (No Modular) and Floris slightly below capacity. So facility wise, Option 2 makes more sense.

Date: November 08, 2008 10:58AM

Option 2 makes more sense. Option 1 is weird, so that means the SB will probably adopt that one.

Date: November 09, 2008 07:31AM

Why, if you add up their numbers, you might notice that they could have fixed the overcrowding with the excess capaticy at Herndon ES, Clearview ES, Hutchison ES, and Lees Corner, all of which have empty slots.

They did not need to build another elementary school so close to McNair, Hutchison, Floris, and Oak Hill. Maybe they could give it up and put their admin staff there? It will be all shiny and new; even has a gym....

boom Wrote:
> Option 1 leaves Floris significantly under
> capacity, Option 2 leaves both McNair (No Modular)
> and Floris slightly below capacity. So facility
> wise, Option 2 makes more sense.

Posted by: Floris Mom ()
Date: November 09, 2008 05:09PM

How many redistrictings does one area have to endure? I am sick to my stomach about how many times the SB has used Floris to fix its problems. They just can't stop jerking us around. Just leave us alone! If we are redistricted to ANOTHER Title 1 school it will be too much to bear. Can't we have a little consistency? Why won't Stu Gibson step in on our behalf for once? He owes us some decency.

Posted by: FM parent ()
Date: November 09, 2008 07:36PM

Floris Mom Wrote:
> How many redistrictings does one area have to
> endure? I am sick to my stomach about how many
> times the SB has used Floris to fix its problems.
> They just can't stop jerking us around. Just leave
> us alone! If we are redistricted to ANOTHER Title
> 1 school it will be too much to bear. Can't we
> have a little consistency? Why won't Stu Gibson
> step in on our behalf for once? He owes us some
> decency.

I really feel for you. Of all the schools in this part of the county, Floris has gotten the short end of the stick more than any other. But, I'm afraid you can't look to Stu Gibson for decency. Stu knows he doens't need Floris or Fox Mill to win relection, so he doesn't give a damn about us. He's already proven that.
I think in 3 years it will be critical to reach out to the part of Reston that doesn't benefit from his beloved IB program--or doens't want to pay for the substantial extra costs of IB. And, people who are disgusted by his ethics violation. If we can hook into those fine populations, we might be able to get his butt out of there.

Posted by: ha. ()
Date: November 09, 2008 07:42PM

Unfortunately, those people that you mention are also the people that were most offended by the initial reaction by some members of your community to the thought of coming to South Lakes. Better luck next life...

Date: November 09, 2008 08:02PM

Floris Mom Wrote:
> How many redistrictings does one area have to
> endure? I am sick to my stomach about how many
> times the SB has used Floris to fix its problems.
> They just can't stop jerking us around. Just leave
> us alone! If we are redistricted to ANOTHER Title
> 1 school it will be too much to bear. Can't we
> have a little consistency? Why won't Stu Gibson
> step in on our behalf for once? He owes us some
> decency.

I think we can best limit the disruption with Option 2. We're all getting chopped up a bit; that's unavoidable this time.

Posted by: Donna ()
Date: November 10, 2008 07:02AM

Option 2 is the path of least resistance. So it would be wise for most to say nothing about Option 1, as hard as it is not to gripe about something, and spend time wisely complimenting the sun beams of Option 1...something like the staff has done an outstanding job listening to the community and has provided an Option (2) that disrupts as few as possible while filling the new school.

Posted by: Fox Mill parent ()
Date: November 10, 2008 08:27AM

ha. Wrote:
> Unfortunately, those people that you mention are
> also the people that were most offended by the
> initial reaction by some members of your community
> to the thought of coming to South Lakes. Better
> luck next life...

That's a bunch of horse poopy. It was only the affluent IB families that were pushing the RD to South Lakes--the ones who desperately wanted Fox Mill and Floris and DID NOT WANT McNair. (And in these economic times, who can afford paying TWICE for IB anyway.) But the real issue now is planning to get Gibson OUT OF OFFICE so he can no longer play favorites in his district.

Posted by: ANOTHER SCHOOL BEING SCREWED BY THE SB ()
Date: November 10, 2008 09:01AM

Who We Are

The people fighting to keep GRES where it is are concerned members of the community. We include parents, teachers, former students and neighbors of the school. This website is funded by a non-profit community organization which serves the academic and social needs of the Kingsly neighborhood.

Issue Background: Why Some People want to Relocate GRES

This issue is relevant now because GRES is going to be renovated. The money has already been appropriated by the Fairfax County School Board. The debate is whether that money should be spent at the current location, or about a mile down Graham Rd, at the Devonshire school location. Please see map. The Devonshire location, at about 8 acres, is a larger piece of land than the Graham Road location (about 4.5 acres). However, the building at Devonsire is considerably smaller and the cost of renovating GRES at its current location, versus building a school at Devonshire are about the same, according to Fairfax County Department of Facilities. The March 13, 2008 letter to the Fairfax County School Board from our attorney explains the issues in detail. We sent another letter on May 9, 2008.

Those who want to relocate GRES cite the larger acreage and a less busy intersection as their main motivations. Neither of these claims can be refuted. Devonshire is larger, and the school would be located at a much calmer intersection. We believe that these two reasons are not enough to move a school out of the community it serves. The negatives far outweigh any positives which would come from moving the school. Those negatives are:

• The busing of over 250 students who are currently able to walk to school
• The removal of the school from the community it serves. Many parents in the Kingsly neighborhood do not have cars. The reason they are able to attend after school events is because they can walk to the school
• GRES, built in the 1950s, has a full sized gymnasium with a full basketball court. Devonshire has no gym currently, and a full sized gym would not be built there, in accordance with current building practices for elementary schools
• Contrary to claims made by those who wish to move the school, there is space at both locations for a full sized soccer/athletic field, and it is included it both site renovation plans.
• Individuals in the community are willing to donate land and resources to make keeping GRES at its current location the most cost effective option for the school system. Items include moving Head Start into a facility outside the school, thus freeing classroom and playground space, and donating land adjacent to the school as a dedicated employee parking lot, thus allowing more open space on the GRES campus.

Posted by: Mozart ()
Date: November 10, 2008 11:02AM

FM parent Wrote:
> I really feel for you. Of all the schools in this
> part of the county, Floris has gotten the short
> end of the stick more than any other. But, I'm
> afraid you can't look to Stu Gibson for decency.
> Stu knows he doens't need Floris or Fox Mill to
> win relection, so he doesn't give a damn about us.
> He's already proven that.
> I think in 3 years it will be critical to reach
> out to the part of Reston that doesn't benefit
> from his beloved IB program--or doens't want to
> pay for the substantial extra costs of IB. And,
> people who are disgusted by his ethics violation.
> If we can hook into those fine populations, we
> might be able to get his butt out of there.

Gibson is also reviled by many in the eastern part of Hunter Mill that is part of Vienna for his favoritism toward SL/Reston and his total disregard of their children and schools. The only issue is whether people will remember and care in 2011.

Posted by: Not going to happen ()
Date: November 11, 2008 12:54AM

FM parent Wrote:
s
> I think in 3 years it will be critical to reach
> out to the part of Reston that doesn't benefit
> from his beloved IB program--or doens't want to
> pay for the substantial extra costs of IB. And,
> people who are disgusted by his ethics violation.
> If we can hook into those fine populations, we
> might be able to get his butt out of there.

You think a republican can win in Reston? Not a chance. 95% of people couldn't name their school board member, they just vote for whoever the democrats have on their sample ballot. As long as Stu has that Big D next to his name, he can run for anything in Reston and win.

Sorry. Sad but true.

Posted by: Please see the previous post ()
Date: November 11, 2008 12:57AM

Mozart Wrote:

> Gibson is also reviled by many in the eastern part
> of Hunter Mill that is part of Vienna for his
> favoritism toward SL/Reston and his total
> disregard of their children and schools. The only
> issue is whether people will remember and care in
> 2011.

Is Stu Gibson still a democrat? Then he wins in Hunter Mill. It's as simple as that. People in Hunter Mill vote for whoever the democrats tell them to vote for.

Posted by: formerhick76 ()
Date: November 11, 2008 08:52AM

Do the Republicans have any educational ideas other than 'cut teacher salaries by 20%' or 'vouchers for everyone, and those without support can go suck eggs'?

Date: November 11, 2008 09:11AM

What about the democrats putting up a decent challenger in the primary? That's how a lot of folks get around the incumbency problem.

Posted by: Primary care ()
Date: November 11, 2008 10:08AM

There's no primary for the school board elections. Anyone who wants to run against the incumbent has to do it in the general election. Since the incumbent will always be on their party's sample ballot, they pretty much are guaranteed to be re-elected. Stu is extra safe, because Reston votes for him as a bloc. He's the Hunter Mill school board rep for life. Just like Cathy Hudgins is the Hunter Mill supervisor for life (and people are annoyed enough with her that she faced 3 opponents in the election last year). What we really need is a redistricting of the supervisor and school board districts, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Posted by: AND THEY WANT $300MILLION FOR GATEHOUSE II ()
Date: November 11, 2008 05:01PM

Money Fears Become Real For Md., Va. Public Schools

By Michael Alison Chandler and Daniel de Vise
Washington Post Staff Writers
Tuesday, November 11, 2008; B01

Leaders of the region's two largest school systems outlined yesterday their grimmest scenarios to date for how looming budget shortfalls could play out in classrooms, with Fairfax County facing an average increase of 2 1/2 students per class and Montgomery County forced to renegotiate teacher pay increases or cut positions.

Fairfax Superintendent Jack D. Dale sketched a proposal to close a $220 million projected shortfall for the fiscal year that begins in July by eliminating summer school, except for certain special education students, and cutting more than 1,000 positions, including custodians, office workers and teachers.

"It will take decades to recover" from such cuts, Dale said in an interview. "We hope this is the worst-case scenario."

Montgomery Superintendent Jerry D. Weast estimated for the first time that the school system will need $180 million in new funds in the next fiscal year, a 9 percent increase, to avoid cutting salaries or staff. And that's far more money than the school system is likely to get, officials said. This year's $2.07 billion budget reflected an increase of $82 million. Next year's economic situation is considerably worse. The 139,000-student system also faces surging enrollment.

"There's no doubt that we have a serious problem," Weast said in a separate interview.

Money woes in the large and highly regarded school systems are echoed elsewhere in the region as the economic crisis slashes state and local tax revenue. From Frederick to Fredericksburg, educators are bracing for the worst crunch in many years.

In Fairfax, the $2.2 billion spending plan Dale presented would be only slightly smaller than the current budget but would absorb about $50 million in lost state revenue and $46 million in added expenses because of projected enrollment increases. Officials expect enrollment in the 169,000-student system, the region's largest, to grow to 174,000. The proposal assumes no increase in Fairfax County's share of the budget.

Dale briefed the School Board yesterday and will brief the Board of Supervisors on Friday. For weeks, Dale has warned that academic initiatives and staffing levels are in jeopardy.

The class size increase, which would save roughly $66 million, would lead to more split-grade-level classes in elementary schools and fewer electives or advanced classes in high schools, he said. Average class size rose by half a student this school year. Raising class size has varying effects, depending on grade level and other factors, including poverty rates. The average size of an elementary class in Fairfax in the last school year was 21.

Summer school programs, which were also reduced this year, would be virtually eliminated to save more than $9 million. Case loads for school social workers and school psychologists would go up, and librarians or technology specialist positions would be reduced. Funding for athletics, arts and after-school programs would be trimmed.

For children in some high-poverty schools, year-round calendars that provide extra instructional time and resources would be eliminated.

Teachers would absorb a large share of the impact, balancing more demands with stagnating paychecks. In addition to a likely freeze in cost-of-living raises, Dale proposed a six-month delay in paying the contracted step increases for most teachers, saving nearly $7 million, and a one-day furlough, saving $8 million.

Veteran School Board member Jane K. Strauss (Dranesville) said the magnitude of the potential cuts outweighs those considered in the early 1990s when county funding to schools decreased and some teachers were laid off. "We have never seen this kind of devastation in Fairfax County public schools," Strauss said.

In Montgomery, the school board already has asked teachers and other employee associations to renegotiate contracted 5 percent raises. This year's bump costs $89 million in pay and benefits and is responsible for about half of the projected budget need.

Other than paying employees less, officials say, the main way the school system could reap significant savings would be to trim the workforce. Weast said $180 million represents more than 3,000 positions.

Another option would be to eliminate initiatives Weast has brought to Montgomery schools, including class-size reduction and extra academic help at economically disadvantaged schools, which together cost more than $100 million a year, mainly in staffing costs.

Weast said he'd favor a salary adjustment over staff or initiative cuts when he prepares his budget request, to be presented Dec. 11.

"My emphasis this year will be on keeping the reforms going and saving jobs," he said.

Weast is required to honor labor contracts unless there is mutual agreement to renegotiate, a delicate subject in budget negotiations.

Late yesterday, the leaders of the three Montgomery school unions announced in an e-mail to members that their executive boards had agreed to reopen negotiations.

"A lot of programs and a lot of people are going to be adversely impacted," Tom Israel, executive director of the Montgomery County Education Association, said. "It won't be pretty."

Date: November 11, 2008 05:09PM

Primary care Wrote:
> > There's no primary for the school board elections. Anyone who wants to run against the incumbent has to do it in the general election. Since the incumbent will always be on their party's sample ballot, they pretty much are guaranteed to be re-elected. Stu is extra safe, because Reston votes for him as a bloc. He's the Hunter Mill school board rep for life. . . . . What we really need is a redistricting of the supervisor and school board districts, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.< <

Actually, school board elections are non-partisan, though the parties do endorse candidates. Someone could challenge Gibson for the endorsement of the Democrats. No one ever has.

Gibson is not popular among other Democratic officials or committee members. He doesn't help them in other elections, hiding behind the Hatch Act restrictions on partisan activity by Federal employees (he works for DOJ) to avoid helping other D's. So party loyalty is not an issue.

It is also possible that he could be removed by a recall petition and trial before the 2011 elections.

The magisterial/school board districts will be reapportioned after the 2010 census. It's possible that Fox Mill and Floris precincts could be sent to Sully since they tend to vote Republican. Hard to predict now.

Posted by: Sore Loser ()
Date: November 11, 2008 07:33PM

I have an idea to beat Stu. Use ACORN thugs to pay/register voters to vote for a challenger; Embry Rucker shelter might be a good place to start. Then, accept donations through a website with all of the security checks disabled, so money can come in from overseas and multiple donations from one party. Then, load up the Hunter Mill precincts with cronies who can look the other way at an voting irregularities.

We've got it in the bag, if only we follow these easy steps.

Cheers!

Posted by: 362&goiing ()
Date: November 11, 2008 07:36PM

And, how about that Option 2?

Posted by: Katherine Harris ()
Date: November 12, 2008 04:21PM

Sore Loser Wrote:
> I have an idea to beat Stu. Use ACORN thugs to
> pay/register voters to vote for a challenger;
> Embry Rucker shelter might be a good place to
> start. Then, accept donations through a website
> with all of the security checks disabled, so money
> can come in from overseas and multiple donations
> from one party. Then, load up the Hunter Mill
> precincts with cronies who can look the other way
> at an voting irregularities.
>
> We've got it in the bag, if only we follow these
> easy steps.
>
> Cheers!

How dare you call me an old bag, you hanging cad?!

Posted by: Al Frankenstein ()
Date: November 12, 2008 06:13PM

It's working for me!

Posted by: Bidy ()
Date: November 14, 2008 03:03PM

Anybody go to the Coppermine meeting last night? Anything exciting?

Re: high school redistricting - no need to wait 'til 2011
Date: November 14, 2008 05:20PM

For those of you who look forward to the day when you can give the current School Board feedback on their performance during the last two years, your early Christmas present has arrived!

Kaye Kory is delusional enough to believe that her actions on the redistricting and Gatehouse II and every other travesty visited on us by the incumbent School Board has earned her the right to challenge Democratic Representative Bob Hull for that seat in the General Assembly.

A simple means to let ol' Kaye know what you think of that idea is to send Bob as generous a contribution as your current circumstances allow:

Committee to Re-elect Bob Hull
P.O. Box 2331
Falls Church, VA 22042

Re: high school redistricting - no need to wait 'til 2011
Posted by: d ()
Date: November 14, 2008 05:44PM

Thomas More Wrote:
> For those of you who look forward to the day when
> you can give the current School Board feedback on
> their performance during the last two years, your
> early Christmas present has arrived!
>
> Kaye Kory is delusional enough to believe that her
> actions on the redistricting and Gatehouse II and
> every other travesty visited on us by the
> incumbent School Board has earned her the right to
> challenge Democratic Representative Bob Hull for
> that seat in the General Assembly.
>
> A simple means to let ol' Kaye know what you think
> of that idea is to send Bob as generous a
> contribution as your current circumstances allow:
>
> Committee to Re-elect Bob Hull
> P.O. Box 2331
> Falls Church, VA 22042

Is this the same "Bob" on FU?

Posted by: Floris Parent ()
Date: November 14, 2008 08:55PM

Summary of the Coppermine Meeting. Stu Gibson did not attend, as he was traveling. Kathy Smith, who's only school as part of the redistricting was Oak Hill, attended. FCPS staff provided overview of process, schools enrollment, key programs and indicators at the school. Dean Tisdat said the goal of the study was to fill a new elementary school and to provide meaningul relief to 3 neighboring schools that are overcrowded, McNair, Floris, and Oak Hill.
There were some contentous questions on the validity of the FCPS staff outyear projections for Floris, as they seemed quite high given that the area is quite developed. How were the numbers derived? It was actually slightly comical, as there were no sound answers given, just that it was part of an algorithm that has been developed over time on a cohort using historical data. Their self-validated error rate is + or - 5%, and it holds true for the county as a whole, proffered the FCPS demographer. Another spirited question was to please define what it means to provide meaningful relief to [overcrowded] affected schools. What does that mean, how is it defined, and are schools themselves, ie teachers, parents, community members consulted to see if meaningful relief was required. Another question was what had FCPS learned from last year's admittedly contentous re-districting process. Betsy Goodman nodded her head, paused, and said that they had learned a lot, that they are posting things on the web more timely, they are trying to get information out there, they met with principals and selected PTA members over the summer, and that they moved up the overall timeline. A couple of audience members wanted guarantees that the "East Floris" area would not be touched again, as it had already been re-districted last year to SLHS. Again, there was no guarantee from FCPS on this.
Lots of Floris and McNair parents in attendance. McNair parents liked Option 1, Floris parents liked Option 2. Many added that they would like to see a special program in McNair such as a GT center, magnet program or other program that could enhance the school.

Posted by: explain please ()
Date: November 14, 2008 11:06PM

Why would an elementary neighborhood need "exemption" from an elementary redistricting just because they were involved in a high school redistricting in a previous year? That is like comparing apples and oranges.

Date: November 14, 2008 11:21PM

One more thing -

The County projections for McNair don't include any adjustment for the current NCLB outplacements. Even if all those kids choose to stay where they are, under Option 2, McNair obviously not qualify as Title 1, so future cohorts would not be eligible for outplacement, adding about 20 kids per year (presuming some of the current outplacements are from areas that would move to other schools).

Floris Parent Wrote:
> Summary of the Coppermine Meeting. Stu Gibson
> did not attend, as he was traveling. Kathy Smith,
> who's only school as part of the redistricting was
> Oak Hill, attended. FCPS staff provided overview
> of process, schools enrollment, key programs and
> indicators at the school. Dean Tisdat said the
> goal of the study was to fill a new elementary
> school and to provide meaningul relief to 3
> neighboring schools that are overcrowded, McNair,
> Floris, and Oak Hill.
> There were some contentous questions on the
> validity of the FCPS staff outyear projections for
> Floris, as they seemed quite high given that the
> area is quite developed. How were the numbers
> derived? It was actually slightly comical, as
> there were no sound answers given, just that it
> was part of an algorithm that has been developed
> over time on a cohort using historical data. Their
> self-validated error rate is + or - 5%, and it
> holds true for the county as a whole, proffered
> the FCPS demographer. Another spirited question
> was to please define what it means to provide
> meaningful relief to affected schools. What does
> that mean, how is it defined, and are schools
> themselves, ie teachers, parents, community
> members consulted to see if meaningful relief was
> required. Another question was what had FCPS
> learned from last year's admittedly contentous
> re-districting process. Betsy Goodman nodded her
> head, paused, and said that they had learned a
> lot, that they are posting things on the web more
> timely, they are trying to get information out
> there, they met with principals and selected PTA
> members over the summer, and that they moved up
> the overall timeline. A couple of audience
> members wanted guarantees that the "East Floris"
> area would not be touched again, as it had already
> been re-districted last year to SLHS. Again,
> there was no guarantee from FCPS on this.
> Lots of Floris and McNair parents in attendance.
> McNair parents liked Option 1, Floris parents
> liked Option 2. Many added that they would like to
> see a special program in McNair such as a GT
> center, magnet program or other program that could
> enhance the school.

Posted by: Stu is SB for life! ()
Date: November 15, 2008 04:00AM

Primary care Wrote:
> There's no primary for the school board elections.
> Anyone who wants to run against the incumbent has
> to do it in the general election. Since the
> incumbent will always be on their party's sample
> ballot, they pretty much are guaranteed to be
> re-elected. Stu is extra safe, because Reston
> votes for him as a bloc. He's the Hunter Mill
> school board rep for life. Just like Cathy
> Hudgins is the Hunter Mill supervisor for life
> (and people are annoyed enough with her that she
> faced 3 opponents in the election last year).
> What we really need is a redistricting of the
> supervisor and school board districts, but I don't
> see that happening anytime soon.

Perfect summary. Well said. Kudos. Thanks.

Date: November 15, 2008 08:43PM

Because we are not separate elementary, middle school, and high school neighborhoods. We are one community with children in all levels of school. Many families have children in more than one school The same people are back at this year's redistricting as were at last years.

Next year we expect to be hit with a middle school redistricting -- which will affect one of my children as did the high school rd last year and as will the elementary this year. And the SB will be making silly Bambi eyes and saying "What do you mean again? Your neighborhood hasn't changed middle schools for ten years."

To us, it is one redistricting after another.

explain please Wrote:
> Why would an elementary neighborhood need
> "exemption" from an elementary redistricting just
> because they were involved in a high school
> redistricting in a previous year? That is like
> comparing apples and oranges.

Posted by: Which middle schools ()
Date: November 16, 2008 01:00AM

Will be redistricted next year? SB must do any redistricting next year because 2010 is too close to their re elections.

Posted by: This SB is a joke ()
Date: November 17, 2008 05:47AM

FYI

This school Board will screw you every time when it comes to the budget and any RD.
They only care about themselves and the hell with you.

Posted by: Gee no kidding ()
Date: November 18, 2008 02:46AM

Thanks for stating the obvious. This thread wouldn't be 362 pages long if people thought our SB and staff were just peachy keen!

Posted by: tubby ()
Date: November 18, 2008 07:00PM

Gee no kidding Wrote:
> Thanks for stating the obvious. This thread
> wouldn't be 362 pages long if people thought our
> SB and staff were just peachy keen!

And they bitched for years about appointed School Boards. An elected School Board would be SO much more responsive to their constituents....

Be careful what you wish for, dummies!!

Posted by: Gee no kidding ()
Date: November 18, 2008 11:13PM

That's why I voted against elected school boards. Now EVERYONE knows what happens when a bunch of politicians run the schools.

Posted by: Spartan ()
Date: November 24, 2008 09:18AM

Indeed. 362 pages of sad commentary that is very telling about the quality of life the ELECTED school board inflics on our students. It's not simply growing pains as they claim. It's lack of vision, experience and integrity of every last one of them. BUT, here we sit bashing away instead of voting them out and never voting in people who pander to the more affluent communities who doante to their campaigns so they can have shiny new schools in their exclusive enclaves.

Posted by: SOAR is in bed with Bradsher ()
Date: November 24, 2008 01:48PM

Spartan Wrote:
> Indeed. 362 pages of sad commentary that is very
> telling about the quality of life the ELECTED
> school board inflics on our students. It's not
> simply growing pains as they claim. It's lack of
> vision, experience and integrity of every last one
> of them. BUT, here we sit bashing away instead of
> voting them out and never voting in people who
> pander to the more affluent communities who doante
> to their campaigns so they can have shiny new
> schools in their exclusive enclaves.
Hey Spartan-

While I feel bad for West Springfield being left off the CIP, the fact that SOAR is doing Bradsher's dirty work by endorsing Gatehouse II, makes me a bit sick. Individual groups need to stop selling their souls to this school board in order to get what they want. All groups need to band together and we need to take our schools back and get rid of these boobs on the School Board. SLEEP, FAIRGRADE, SOAR, CAPS , SOSO Middle School Solutions and other such groups should join forces.

Posted by: Victim ()
Date: November 24, 2008 03:03PM

That's the reason why Foxmill is excluded this time according to SB staff.

Posted by: Victim ()
Date: November 24, 2008 03:08PM

That's the reason why Foxmill is excluded this time according to SB staff.

explain please Wrote:
> Why would an elementary neighborhood need
> "exemption" from an elementary redistricting just
> because they were involved in a high school
> redistricting in a previous year? That is like
> comparing apples and oranges.

Date: November 24, 2008 03:10PM

Good God! I thought this thread was dead already!

Posted by: Happy2beHere ()
Date: November 29, 2008 01:10AM

My, oh my, oh my.

Start complaining about real issues at every school, rather than waaa! Waaa! waaa! We got redeistricted last time. Honestly, these are elementary school children, granted change can be difficutlt for some...I understand that. To think that one group of children is worse off than another is wrong. I get it...parts of Floris were moved to South Lakes...guess what...that will remanin the same right now. McNair children lose friends to three different schools, yet they did not have to change high schools (not that they care right now), but this happens in every scenario for them.

Think about it.

Posted by: Think? ()
Date: November 29, 2008 01:13AM

Think about what? That FCPS doesn't care about any kids and they all suffer because of it?

Ok.

Posted by: Happy2beHere ()
Date: November 29, 2008 01:16AM

If that is how you really feel? Okay. Now..please explain why.

Date: November 29, 2008 11:26AM

Can someone tell me what this thread is about?

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: November 29, 2008 01:22PM

i heard PLaxico Burress shot himself in the thigh in a nightclub up in NYC.

Posted by: What is SOAR ()
Date: November 29, 2008 10:34PM

What is SOAR and how does it help Bradsher?

Posted by: HOW DO WE SAVE OUR SCHOOLS ()
Date: November 30, 2008 04:23AM

The following is what the school board and Dale need to do:

DO NOT BUILD THE SOUTH COUNTY MIDDLE SCHOOL. $75 MILLION

DO NOT MOVE AHEAD WITH GATEHOUSE II. $300 MILLION

REDISTRICT THE ENTIRE FCPS SYSTEM.

REDUCE HEADQUARTERS STAFF BY 25%.

CONVERT FOUR IB SCHOOLS TO AP.

The above will do for a start.

Posted by: That's a good start ()
Date: December 01, 2008 12:21AM

That list should save enough money to get through the coming years of budget cuts. Too bad they won't do any of it but will only increase class size and delay renovations for schools. They will continue to protect the bureaucracy. They will never get rid of even one IB school, their ideology is too important to them. They won't redistrict, even though they should, because the school board is too afraid of losing their jobs.

Posted by: no public appetite ()
Date: December 01, 2008 12:31PM

That's a good start Wrote:
> That list should save enough money to get through
> the coming years of budget cuts. Too bad they
> won't do any of it but will only increase class
> size and delay renovations for schools. They will
> continue to protect the bureaucracy. They will
> never get rid of even one IB school, their
> ideology is too important to them. They won't
> redistrict, even though they should, because the
> school board is too afraid of losing their jobs.

And the reason they'd lose their jobs is that the majority of parents vehemently oppose being redistricted.

The South Lakes RD was an unnecessary shambles - a repeat at an even larger scale would cause outright revolt by parents.

The answer is to fix the failing schools, not shuffle kids around for some bizarre political agenda.

RD is not, and has never been, the answer to poor performance - justifying it on cost is even more of a red herring - any savings, if they existed, would be in the noise.

It's also about time we stopped spending scarce education dollars on illegals and the families of illegals and slashed wasteful spending on ESOL.

Posted by: Memory Bank ()
Date: December 01, 2008 03:19PM

What happened to the plan to send some Annandale High students to Falls Church and Stuart? Isn't Annandale over-crowded and aren't the other schools, particularly Falls Church, under-capacity? Will the School Board take this up next year?

Posted by: 22180/w ()
Date: December 02, 2008 10:52AM

Looks like the FCPS staff has something grander in mind. The facilities work session agenda for Dec 8 has a proposal to set up a task force to do a comprehensive study of enrollment vs capacity across the county, and make recommendations by September 2009. Basically, the proposal makes the case that FCPS was surprised by the big enrollment jump this year, and expects continued increases in enrollment in coming years, and so they need to prepare. They propose to divide the county into 4 planning areas and form a group to study each area, with citizen representatives appointed by the school board. The proposal is at:

http://www.boarddocs.com/vsba/fairfax/Board.nsf/d62d9cb847ef1cbd87257328006795e4/fe9a3c87c3700ce48725750d00501537/$FILE/CIPSectionComprehensivePlanningProcess.pdf

Here's what it says about the final report:

The Task Force recommendations will prioritize facilities challenges and needs such as potential boundary changes, temporary and permanent capacity enhancements, new schools, school closings and suggest timelines for implementation. While the recommendations are purely that of the Task Force, staff may opt to make its own recommendations that disagree, agree, or agree with variations to the Task Force recommendations. Recommendations from the area planning task forces will be presented to the School Board in September 2009.

Posted by: it's BS ()
Date: December 02, 2008 11:59AM

22180/w Wrote:
> Looks like the FCPS staff has something grander in
> mind. The facilities work session agenda for Dec
> 8 has a proposal to set up a task force to do a
> comprehensive study of enrollment vs capacity
> across the county, and make recommendations by
> September 2009. Basically, the proposal makes the
> case that FCPS was surprised by the big enrollment
> jump this year, and expects continued increases in
> enrollment in coming years, and so they need to
> prepare. They propose to divide the county into 4
> planning areas and form a group to study each
> area, with citizen representatives appointed by
> the school board. The proposal is at:
>
> http://www.boarddocs.com/vsba/fairfax/Board.nsf/d6
> 2d9cb847ef1cbd87257328006795e4/fe9a3c87c3700ce4872
> 5750d00501537/$FILE/CIPSectionComprehensivePlannin
> gProcess.pdf
>
> Here's what it says about the final report:
>
> The Task Force recommendations will prioritize
> facilities challenges and needs such as potential
> boundary changes, temporary and permanent capacity
> enhancements, new schools, school closings and
> suggest timelines for implementation. While the
> recommendations are purely that of the Task Force,
> staff may opt to make its own recommendations that
> disagree, agree, or agree with variations to the
> Task Force recommendations. Recommendations from
> the area planning task forces will be presented to
> the School Board in September 2009.

I read it. The CIP used to have line items showing neighboring groupings. The 4 areas will address borders in what way? The SB has a policy on administrtive boundary changes. The school board simply doesn't want to do what might be or is prudent based on politics. I see SOCO is still getting a middle school.

This task force junk is simply a way to direct funds so they don't have to do boundary changes. Funnel money away from needed renovations into more additions like Langley. Make sure Bradsher's people all fit into SOCO.

No more no less. At least Dan Domenech made decisions and workd with wht he had. This is ALL politics.

Posted by: woops she did it again ()
Date: December 02, 2008 07:22PM

Well, well, Bradsher is at it again. Protecting her lilly white neighbors from all those "other" kids. She really needs to just build a big wall around her neighborhood.

Take a looksee at the proposed boundary changes for the Laurel Hill Elem. There are 3 Options on the table-see if you can find the pattern,

SilverBrook Elementary School:

Option 1: ESOL % goes from 9.7% to 7% and FRM goes from 10.9% to 9.3%

Option 2: ESOL % goes from 9.7% to 3.9% and FRM goes from 10.9% to 3.3%

Option 3: ESOL % goes from 9.7% to 6.1% and FRM goes from 10.9 to 7.4%

It is so blatant it is sickening. All the other schools have ESOL figures between 13-22% and FRM numbers in the range of 14-41%.

I though the new world order was socio-economic rebalancing? Isn't that what South Lakes HS was all about?

Looks like when SB member Bradsher is asked to step up to the plate she says "NO THANKS!", we like our schools the way they are.

What a two faced &%#@*!!!!!!!

Posted by: BraddockDistrict ()
Date: December 02, 2008 10:35PM

Memory Bank Wrote:
> What happened to the plan to send some Annandale
> High students to Falls Church and Stuart? Isn't
> Annandale over-crowded and aren't the other
> schools, particularly Falls Church,
> under-capacity? Will the School Board take this
> up next year?

It's being discussed in the Spring.

Posted by: Liz Bradsher Discriminates ()
Date: December 03, 2008 04:45AM

woops she did it again Wrote:
> Well, well, Bradsher is at it again. Protecting
> her lilly white neighbors from all those "other"
> kids. She really needs to just build a big wall
> around her neighborhood.
>
> Take a looksee at the proposed boundary changes
> for the Laurel Hill Elem. There are 3 Options on
> the table-see if you can find the pattern,
>
> SilverBrook Elementary School:
>
> Option 1: ESOL % goes from 9.7% to 7% and FRM goes
> from 10.9% to 9.3%
>
> Option 2: ESOL % goes from 9.7% to 3.9% and FRM
> goes from 10.9% to 3.3%
>
> Option 3: ESOL % goes from 9.7% to 6.1% and FRM
> goes from 10.9 to 7.4%
>
> It is so blatant it is sickening. All the other
> schools have ESOL figures between 13-22% and FRM
> numbers in the range of 14-41%.
>
> I though the new world order was socio-economic
> rebalancing? Isn't that what South Lakes HS was
> all about?
>
> Looks like when SB member Bradsher is asked to
> step up to the plate she says "NO THANKS!", we
> like our schools the way they are.
>
> What a two faced &%#@*!!!!!!!

Liz Bradsher is a white elitist who discriminates against blacks and hispanics. She does not want her children to be in the same school with blacks/hispanics and has done everything possible in order to make that happen.

Look at her record, no Hayfield for her kids.

Posted by: She is no lady ()
Date: December 03, 2008 01:45PM

What a lady?

SOUTH COUNTY BITCH BACK ON WARPATH

Earlier in the campaign, Liz Bradsher asked me to stop calling her the "South County Bitch" on here because it wasn't necessary to use that nickname (given to her by education activists years ago) in her campaign. To give her the benefit of the doubt, I agreed to not use it again from that point forward unless something changed.

Tonight, when Liz Bradsher went up and threatened Kenton Ngo at a back to school night, she has re earned her title for the rest of this campaign and probably her entire career in politics.

Kenton tells me that Liz confronted him over the blog post this morning, showing her misleading statements. Liz said to him (and I remind all of you that Kenton is SIXTEEN) "You better watch where you step".

WHAT!!!! You just threatened a sixteen year old? What the hell is the matter with you, Liz? The last time Republicans held this seat on the school board, their member threatened the student school board member, and lost his seat over that. Apparently something is in the water in Springfield as Liz decided to restart the Springfield tradition of attacking current FCPS students.

Liz has children around Kenton's age. HOW WOULD YOU FEEL IF SOMEONE TALKED TO YOUR KIDS LIKE THIS, LIZ?

Absolutely pathetic for a woman of your age Liz, totally disgusting, and I will make sure that no one EVER hears your name mentioned without thinking of your nickname.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

woops she did it again Wrote:
> Well, well, Bradsher is at it again. Protecting
> her lilly white neighbors from all those "other"
> kids. She really needs to just build a big wall
> around her neighborhood.
>
> Take a looksee at the proposed boundary changes
> for the Laurel Hill Elem. There are 3 Options on
> the table-see if you can find the pattern,
>
> SilverBrook Elementary School:
>
> Option 1: ESOL % goes from 9.7% to 7% and FRM goes
> from 10.9% to 9.3%
>
> Option 2: ESOL % goes from 9.7% to 3.9% and FRM
> goes from 10.9% to 3.3%
>
> Option 3: ESOL % goes from 9.7% to 6.1% and FRM
> goes from 10.9 to 7.4%
>
> It is so blatant it is sickening. All the other
> schools have ESOL figures between 13-22% and FRM
> numbers in the range of 14-41%.
>
> I though the new world order was socio-economic
> rebalancing? Isn't that what South Lakes HS was
> all about?
>
> Looks like when SB member Bradsher is asked to
> step up to the plate she says "NO THANKS!", we
> like our schools the way they are.
>
> What a two faced &%#@*!!!!!!!

Posted by: FCPS looking for cover ()
Date: December 03, 2008 10:10PM

22180/w Wrote:
> Looks like the FCPS staff has something grander in
> mind. The facilities work session agenda for Dec
> 8 has a proposal to set up a task force to do a
> comprehensive study of enrollment vs capacity
> across the county, and make recommendations by
> September 2009. Basically, the proposal makes the
> case that FCPS was surprised by the big enrollment
> jump this year, and expects continued increases in
> enrollment in coming years, and so they need to
> prepare. They propose to divide the county into 4
> planning areas and form a group to study each
> area, with citizen representatives appointed by
> the school board. The proposal is at:
>
> http://www.boarddocs.com/vsba/fairfax/Board.nsf/d6
> 2d9cb847ef1cbd87257328006795e4/fe9a3c87c3700ce4872
> 5750d00501537/$FILE/CIPSectionComprehensivePlannin
> gProcess.pdf
>
> Here's what it says about the final report:
>
> The Task Force recommendations will prioritize
> facilities challenges and needs such as potential
> boundary changes, temporary and permanent capacity
> enhancements, new schools, school closings and
> suggest timelines for implementation. While the
> recommendations are purely that of the Task Force,
> staff may opt to make its own recommendations that
> disagree, agree, or agree with variations to the
> Task Force recommendations. Recommendations from
> the area planning task forces will be presented to
> the School Board in September 2009.

Sounds like the school board and staff want to do a mass redistricting but need the cover of a task force recommending it. Who gets to be on the task force? Those who the school board appoints to say what the board wants to hear. The board will need vote in 2009, or early 2010, on all redistricting since they need to run for office again in 2011.

Pages: PreviousFirst...176177178179180181182183184185186...LastNext
Current Page: 181 of 189

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.