HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 189
high school redistricting
Posted by: copygirl ()
Date: July 24, 2007 02:25PM

FCPS just launched a boundary study which affects SIX high schools in western Fairfax County - Chantilly, Oakton, Herndon, Westfield, South Lakes and Madison.

There's no new high school being built. FCPS claims they’re doing this to even out enrollment numbers among the schools. BUT they're not using reliable enrollment statistics to justify such wide-sweeping redistricting! It's as if they simply have a desire to play with the numbers again. Don't they realize there are children's lives behind these numbers! Children who have ties to the high schools their neighbors have attended for years. Can you imagine the disruption this is going to cause to thousands of families and students!

There is a website: www.stoprd.org with more information. The website launched an online petition to try and stop this latest FCPS boundary study from proceeding. Check it out and consider signing. If there are enough signatures, maybe they can successfully “fight city hall” on this one!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: bdimag ()
Date: July 24, 2007 02:28PM

i should start an online petition to ban online petitions...

Posted by: Lester Burnham ()
Date: July 24, 2007 02:43PM

FCPS needs to redistrict the entire county, but that simply is not practical and dividing it into three or pieces is the only reasonable approach. FCPS does not need a new school coming online to justify redistricting, but the pattern of housing development has created imbalances across the system.

I do not have the figures in front of me, but I seem to recall that the number of HS seats was roughly in line with the number of current and projected HS students, but that some schools had a good amount of space while others were at or near the breaking point. I don't think that the school board or administration takes a casual approach to a topic which is clearly going to drive emotional arguments, but something needs to be done to better use existing resources.

We saw this recently with South County and the hand-wringing between Lake Braddock, Hayfield and South County with people making the same arguments about friendships and sports teams. People need to realize that high school is only four years and this will mostly likely impact people for less time than that. Life is short...don't sweat the small stuff.

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: July 24, 2007 02:54PM

And I am sure that some will look at the study just to see if there any pictures of teenagers included. Not the fat ones, please.

Posted by: Zen ()
Date: July 26, 2007 12:06AM

copygirl.

you don't know what you're saying.
schools like westfield and chantilly are grossly overpopulated.
while schools like madison and south lakes have plenty of room to spare.

and stop trying to speak on behalf of the "children"
when you're obviously not.

if you're trying to start up a ruckus just because of the Oakton section.
then just say that and we'll start from there.

Posted by: sal ()
Date: July 27, 2007 02:26PM

Zen

Ok so you live close enough to Chantilly or Westfield that you won't be effected. And you want to get rid of some of your neighbors because it's a little crowded for your kid.

Let me say what the real issue is.... no one wants to be sent to South Lakes.

Posted by: Lester Burnham ()
Date: July 27, 2007 03:47PM

sal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Zen
>
> Let me say what the real issue is.... no one wants
> to be sent to South Lakes.

Just like the people who bought houses in Crosspointe did not want their children to go to...gasp...Hayfield. When the boundary discussion for South County started they brought up things like terrorism and traffic on I-95 as reasons why SCSS should be THEIR school.

In other parts of the country where each town has its own school system it is OK for their to be rich schools and poor schools, but I think that FCPS has an obligation to maintain a reasonable range (not necessarily balance) of ESOL and free and reduced lunch students. It would be easy for SCSS to be 90% white with an average household income of $150K, but I don't think that that is appropriate.

If FXCO had some sort of master plan for growth and development 20 years ago the redistricting mess would not be what it is today and now the FCPS school board needs to deal with it. Enrollment projections may be flawed, but I think that these changes, which will eventually filter across the school system are a good thing. I feel badly for kids being taken from their friends and sports teammates being separated, but that is one of the risks of living in a system like Fairfax.

Do you want stability and the knowledge that your kids will be in the same high school pyramid? Move someplace like New Jersey, Pennsylvania or Massachusetts. Otherwise, accept the inevitable and move on.

Date: July 27, 2007 10:44PM

sal Wrote:
> Zen
>

Now that wasn't to hard to admit.
now let me say something
I'm a South Lakes graduate.

Date: July 27, 2007 11:04PM

sal Wrote:
> Zen
>

There that wasn't too hard to admit was it?
now let me say something
I'm a South Lakes graduate.
I had a decision between Oakton, Madison, Westfield AND Langley.
But I chose to attend South Lakes for all four years.
And I have no regrets.

now tell my why one wouldn't want to send their kids to south lakes
honestly.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: July 27, 2007 11:31PM

now tell my why one wouldn't want to send their kids to south lakes
honestly.

I know a very successful doctor that graduated from South Lakes, she's one of the coolest/smartest people I've ever met.

Stop being such a clueless suburbanite, Sal.

Posted by: Jen ()
Date: July 27, 2007 11:33PM

South Lakes has a bad reputation. I wouldn't want to go there because of my attachment to Oakton. And when did you graduate... I think the SL has gone downhill over the years.

Date: July 27, 2007 11:36PM

I live a good 20-30 min from my school but I would rather go there because it has some better programs in the areas that I am interested in. Oakton has a band program that is much stronger than South Lakes.

Date: July 28, 2007 03:06PM

This one time at band camp.....

Posted by: WashingToneLocian ()
Date: July 28, 2007 03:53PM

As long as there are State Standards and No Child Left Behind, there is going to be pressure on school districts to do this kind of B.S. The idea is to spread the shitty students around as much as possible so all schools eek past the Standards versus letting a handful of schools fly past the exams while others teeter on the brink of losing Federal funding.

The best way to deal with this is to tell you member of Congress not to renew No Child Left Behind. The sooner that debacle is put to bed, the better.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: July 28, 2007 07:14PM

copygirl Wrote:
> Don't they realize there are children's
> lives behind these numbers! Children who have ties
> to the high schools their neighbors have attended
> for years. Can you imagine the disruption this is
> going to cause to thousands of families and
> students!

to the person who originally wrote the content of the first post and people who feel the same,
   holy crap, could you be more of a whiner? ive heard a lot of stupid things people whine about but this is up their on the retarded level. this isnt even as bad as someone moving yet you act like it's a cataclysmic event that will surely wipe out all life in these schools. if you are truly so distraught over this turn of events, please drill into your right temple to alleviate your pain. stop inventing drama where there is none.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: brian ()
Date: August 04, 2007 01:43AM

"Oakton has a band program that is much stronger than South Lakes."

are you serious, Jen? apparently no one ever mentioned to you that South Lakes' band is ranked #1 in the state and was among the top 17 programs in the nation sent to Bands of America in Indanapolis.

as far as sliding down, yeah, it did happen in the nineties. but south lakes' principal bruce butler is very good and is turning the school around. people make it seem violent, which it isn't. we had 3 fights this year. not a whole hell of a lot, but more than desirable. compared to other schools, the use of hard drugs is low. i can't back this up with stats but lets say that no one gets offered coke at south lakes parties. (coughlangleycough)

http://mcleantimes.com/site/tab5.cfm?newsid=17847674&BRD=2553&PAG=461&dept_id=565197&rfi=6

that is a link to an article i wrote, published in the times.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: August 04, 2007 09:30AM

i call BS on all of that. except the band, maybe.

3 fights this year? the info hasnt been published yet, but last year there were 16. http://schoolprofiles.fcps.edu/schlprfl/f?p=108:2:4318938336807955::::P0_CURRENT_SCHOOL_ID:320
I be there were more than that, they either werent found out about or were kept on the DL b/c of parental pressure or whatever.
for comparison, heres oakton. theey had 6 fights. http://schoolprofiles.fcps.edu/schlprfl/f?p=108:2:1443738103406171::::P0_CURRENT_SCHOOL_ID:050

"lets say no one gets offered coke at SL parties" There are drugs at a lot of HS parties. If not alcohol then drugs. If you think there arent then you are also probably one of those people who thinks that their straight-A kid never speeds, gets high, or parties it up.

if you wrote the article then its not necciscarily all that reliable. An article from an independant person would be better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2007 09:31AM by KeepOnTruckin.

Posted by: TRICKIE ()
Date: August 04, 2007 10:21AM

Those school profile reports are not reliable at all. I taught at a large FCPS secondary school. Believe me, those reports were doctored. The incidents are widely under reported. We used to laugh when they came out. Many of the thefts, drug incidents, fights are unreported on purpose. Our security staff was always complaining about this. The principals do not want to have the incidents reported since the school will look bad.

Trickie

Date: August 04, 2007 11:18AM

I guess if I was paying an Oakton mortgage and Oakton property taxes only to have my kid going to Chantilly or Herndon, I'd be pretty pissed too. Of course, redistricting should do wonders for Oakton's property values.

Glad I'm not an Oaktonian (or whatever they're called).

Posted by: Lower my taxes ()
Date: August 04, 2007 09:02PM

If the school board is going to review the school districts, it should also consider the McLean and Langley school districts. Besides the McLean area, these schools' boundaries include Herndon, Reston, Vienna, and Fall Church. As a result, these schools and their pyramids are overcrowded with students that should be going to high schools much closer.

For example, homes near Route 7 and Dranesville Rd are part of Langley,which is about 11 miles away. Herndon HS is only a couple of miles away.

What is the school board rational for keeping these boundaries? No. It can't be for higher property values.

Posted by: duh ()
Date: August 04, 2007 09:17PM

Lower my taxes Wrote:
> If the school board is going to review the school
> districts, it should also consider the McLean and
> Langley school districts. Besides the McLean
> area, these schools' boundaries include Herndon,
> Reston, Vienna, and Fall Church. As a result,
> these schools and their pyramids are overcrowded
> with students that should be going to high schools
> much closer.
>
> For example, homes near Route 7 and Dranesville Rd
> are part of Langley,which is about 11 miles away.
> Herndon HS is only a couple of miles away.
>
> What is the school board rational for keeping
> these boundaries? No. It can't be for higher
> property values.

Hey moron, can't you read? WashingTonLocian already explained EXACTLY why what your asking occurs.

So you don't have to scroll up, let me quote WashingToneLocian:

"As long as there are State Standards and No Child Left Behind, there is going to be pressure on school districts to do this kind of B.S. The idea is to spread the shitty students around as much as possible so all schools eek past the Standards versus letting a handful of schools fly past the exams while others teeter on the brink of losing Federal funding.

The best way to deal with this is to tell you member of Congress not to renew No Child Left Behind. The sooner that debacle is put to bed, the better."

Date: August 04, 2007 09:23PM

On second thought...the Langley and McLean kids should be going to Herndon! That's the shithole that needs it's scores bolstered.

I guess it's political pressure then.

Sorry I called you a moron!

Date: August 04, 2007 10:30PM

KeepOnTruckin Wrote:
> if you wrote the article then its not necciscarily
> all that reliable. An article from an independant
> person would be better.

Ladies and gents of the jury.
the proper spelling of
-drum roll-
necessarily
&
independent.

sorry it was bugging me.

Okay. So you're asking for independent study/judgment on the schools.
fair enough
Exhibit A
The Seahawk Battalion [Honor Unit].
Yes ladies and gents. Honor unit. Meaning that a team of active duty and retired Army personnel came to South Lakes to inspect the JROTC unit and it's sponsor school all things were taken into account.

everything from demographics to incident reports.
And after intense scrutiny it was in the Army's opinion that the Battalion be awarded Honor Unit Status. Meaning the unit is of the best 15% in the world.

now. lets compare.
Oakton? anything to offer? no? nothing? pity.

Date: August 04, 2007 10:37PM

im sorry i cant spell the one that starts with N. independent, my bad, we all make typos. i dont care.

but seeing as how the incident reports are bullshit, they mean nothing.

yeah some people from the state government or somthing came to Centreville HS a while back also. They raved about how it was soo good, etc. but its just government BS. all schools have problems and good points. Just usully more of the former.

Date: August 04, 2007 10:45PM

and if anyone is wondering why people are so adamantly defending and eagerly attacking South Lakes right now
is because no one would dare say one real bad thing about South Lakes in the public eye.

just get one Oakton parent and one Oakton student
and get them to drop all their ridiculous statistics and inaccurate reports and admit why they don't want to come to South Lakes in the next little community meeting they want to call.

Then I'll sit silent.
If anyone wants to call bs in this argument
it is on the other side of the line.

Posted by: moron ()
Date: August 05, 2007 03:49PM

The bogus school districts have been around way before the no child left behind laws and state standards. The moron think it's more of parents chasing SAT scores. So, little Johnny can go to Harvard.

If the school board is stretching the school boundaries, why don't they send students from 7 corners or south Herndon areas to Langley and Mclean. Those areas just as close than Vienna and Herndon. That should dilute their SAT scores.

Duh. Thank you for calling me moron. That's the best thing you ever called me. I'm now using it as my screen name. Stop by Vienna Inn (Freddy's for you old timers) and I'll buy you a beer. Just ask for the moron.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: August 05, 2007 04:28PM

Stop by Vienna Inn and I'll buy you a beer. Just ask for the moron.

Someone should really do that, those waitresses don't take too kindly to foolishness, I bet their reaction would be funny.

Posted by: caddy shack ()
Date: August 05, 2007 04:38PM

As Judge Smails said "Well the world needs ditch diggers too."

Date: August 05, 2007 05:03PM

For those cynics who don't think I know what I am talking about...

South Lakes - 46% White
http://www.greatschools.net/cgi-bin/va/other/569#toc

Oakton - 69% White
http://www.greatschools.net/cgi-bin/va/other/555#toc

...The goal is to push underachieving minority students into schools that are whiter and do better on tests. Langley hasn't been touched...yet...because of the number of wealthy lawyers who send their kids there. That's not the case with Oakton. But, if push comes to shove, expect Langley to come under fire as well eventually.

Date: August 05, 2007 08:37PM

Just FYI- greatschools.net gets their info from the fcps school profiles. So you shouldn't believe it.

Date: August 06, 2007 01:59AM

perhaps instead of penalizing the schools for poor performance, we could penalize the kids. i think weekly public executions of the 50 worst students with below average grades would help motivate everyone. everyone with a 90% or higher average grades would be granted immunity. additionally, all dropouts and runaways will be executed on sight. i havent settled on a form of execution, beheading and hanging are both great so i say a hybrid would be best... have a blade decapitate them as they are hanging.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: Fairfax MF---er ()
Date: August 06, 2007 01:35PM

The opponents of this redistricting should call it what it is...Backdoor Busing (ala Backdoor Draft).

This isn't any different than the forced busing of the 1970s. If the opponents started using the term "Busing," you would scare the shit out of the politicians.

Date: August 11, 2007 06:56PM

What it really comes down to is some of the white people in places, shall we say, less "economically diverse", like Oakton not wanting their kids in with minorities.

After all, its dangerous being in schools with kids who aren't white or Asian, isn't it?

It's not stimulating the brain if Jack is in a classroom with some kids who aren't affluent, right?

Postscript: South Lakes sent about twenty kids to UVA and about 15 to W&M (I swear to God if you go and pull up the actual numbers, I don't care, I said approximate). One kid is paying PEANUTS (We're talking $5,000 per year) to go to Princeton because of various scholarships won.

Post-postscript: Read in the Post today that former Oakton/current UVA running back Keith Payne was suspended by coach Al Groh for academic reasons. Hell of a player, but looks like walking through the halls on gameday shouting PAYNE-TRAINNN didn't prep him for college courses.

Date: August 11, 2007 11:34PM

brian Wrote:
> What it really comes down to is some of the white
> people in places, shall we say, less "economically
> diverse", like Oakton not wanting their kids in
> with minorities.
>
> After all, its dangerous being in schools with
> kids who aren't white or Asian, isn't it?

why do people always try to make this issue about race/origin/nationality? it seems like a cop-out argument to me. how about this, you pay US taxes and i dont because about 150 years ago some of my ancestors came from germany. you dont like that? then you are a biggot and should be burned alive. oh wait, that's preposterous.

> It's not stimulating the brain if Jack is in a
> classroom with some kids who aren't affluent,
> right?

that's such a bullshit and baseless argument.

Eric Cartman
'cause ya' po' kenny, ya' po'!

Date: August 11, 2007 11:54PM

gravis.
even for your standards.
that first point didn't make any sense.

Posted by: Brian ()
Date: August 13, 2007 03:50AM

apparently you don't understand sarcasm.

just to throw this one out there... the questionable figures the county puts out may indicate south lakes is more dangerous than oakton, but how can you even argue oakton is not more dangerous? when a school feels the need to pass around free rape whistles to girls, i think there is a problem that people not in the loop would otherwise not know.

and gravis, i really don't have any idea what you're talking about. not in a defiant "you don't know what you're saying" way, but seriously... what the hell are you talking about? burned at the stake wtf?

Posted by: Nel ()
Date: August 14, 2007 09:52AM

South Lakes should stay as it is. The school's academic scores are near the bottom of all Fairfax County schools. The students would not benefit from increased classroom size. Increasing enrollment would only hurt the underperformers.

Posted by: TonyP ()
Date: August 16, 2007 02:37PM

The assertion that South Lakes is at the bottom academically is blatantly false. Look it up! All the other assertions regarding South Lakes (always made by people who don't go there) or equally false. The anti-South Lakes feeling exhibited here and in the local newspapers is openly racist and perpetrated by people who don't know what they're talking about.

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: August 16, 2007 02:52PM

Well South Lakes is getting a completely remodeled school so maybe people are just jealous.
Attachments:
Image006.jpg

Posted by: Travis ()
Date: August 16, 2007 03:40PM

I pretty much drive past South Lakes on my way to school (Oakton). I'd much rather attend South Lakes and spend less on gas. The difference in SAT scores between South Lakes and Oakton is negligible, and probably due to the fact that Oakton currently absorbs students from higher income areas. The true reason that people are against redistricting to South Lakes is that Oakton parents are afraid of their kids going to school with black people.

Posted by: C ()
Date: August 16, 2007 03:40PM

i went to oakton, and i wish i didnt.. i hate that school only good part about it was our soccer team, but u can say i dont live in " Oakton" or vienna or herndon where most the students come from, i live in fairfax circle where most the people from that area where the minorities.. There is alot of racism and favoritism in oakton, most the people i know where kicked out.. i could go thru a park and cross the street and be at fairfax Hs, where i wish i couda gone

Posted by: tweedle ()
Date: August 16, 2007 05:29PM

In all honesty the environment at Oakton promotes segregation and the monotonous culture of upper middle class white people. There is still a substantial minority population that seldom mixes with the white majority. The atmosphere at chantilly(which has similar racial figures) is much more integrated racially. I would have rather gone to any other school than oakton because everyone there thinks there "place" must be with their own race and income and branching out from that standard is seen strange to many. I bet kids that went to south lakes leave with a better tolerance/understanding of other cultures.

ps im white

Posted by: tweedle ()
Date: August 16, 2007 05:30PM

i agree with "C"

Posted by: Mom of elementary age children ()
Date: August 17, 2007 10:33AM

We live in Oakton but are in the Madison school district. Our children attend Flint Hill Elementary School in Vienna. I'm worried about our children attending South Lakes because of my fear of gangs and violence. My husband is concerned about the quality of the teachers and the low test scores -- although that is old information. I admit that I know very little about what the schools are actually like. How do you find reliable information about the quality of the schools in this area? Are there any local papers that do a good job of covering this?

We are not "afraid of [our] kids going to school with black people". People of any race are capable of contributing to an atmosphere of hate and fear. The question is, Will the students, families, teachers, and administrators work together to create a safe learning environment so that everyone can succeed?

Chantilly Mortgage = South Lakes education -NOT!!!
Posted by: Chantilly Lisa ()
Date: August 17, 2007 03:19PM

My husband and I bouth a house in Chantilly Highlands three years ago so that our kids could attend Chantilly High School. We borrowed from our retirement funds and have a have a mortgage that leaves us no extra money at the end of the month, but we did this so that our kids could go to Chantilly HS. You can say what you want about South Lakes HS, but the reality is that the value of my home will PLUMMET as a result of being in the South Lakes HS district. That is a FACT!!! Is the School Board going to compensate me for all the money we wasted paying to live in the Chantilly HS district? I can promise you that whatever elected official is up for election better think long and hard about supporting this redistricting. I can tell you right now that the Chantilly Highlands parents ARE NOT going to accept this!!!

Date: August 17, 2007 04:25PM

Hey, instead of worrying about school districts....make your kiddies unplug the ipod and log off of MyFace (or whatever it is) and CRACK THE BOOKS.

That way, they can go to TJHSST...and it doesn't matter where you live. ALL County high schools are second-rate compared to TJ.

If they're not smart enough to get into TJ...they're just killin' time anyway.

Date: August 17, 2007 04:45PM

Mom of elementary age children Wrote:
> We live in Oakton but are in the Madison school
> district. Our children attend Flint Hill
> Elementary School in Vienna. I'm worried about
> our children attending South Lakes because of my
> fear of gangs and violence. My husband is
> concerned about the quality of the teachers and
> the low test scores -- although that is old
> information. I admit that I know very little
> about what the schools are actually like. How do
> you find reliable information about the quality of
> the schools in this area? Are there any local
> papers that do a good job of covering this?
>
> We are not "afraid of kids going to school with
> black people". People of any race are capable of
> contributing to an atmosphere of hate and fear.
> The question is, Will the students, families,
> teachers, and administrators work together to
> create a safe learning environment so that
> everyone can succeed?

Ma'am my suggestion is for you to go to South Lakes one day and talk to Mr. Butler the principal and I am confident that he will show you around to the true south lakes. In all honesty the school is what you make of it. Some kids choose to just get by. While we have students who sap every possible resource to it's full potential and get into Princeton and MIT just like any school will boast. Last year alone we had five students get into the Academies everything from West Point to Annapolis to Colrodo Springs.

The gangs and violence, low test scores and the quality of teachers is a valid concern that I'm sure Mr. Butler will address with utmost honesty.

Date: August 18, 2007 05:34PM

All the comments coming out of parents who send their kids to "better" schools support what I have contended all along. People don't want their white Johnny hanging out with black Leon or brown Jose. As for the home value argument, I can sympathize, but the fact is nobody should leverage their entire life in the hopes their kid goes to the best school (by the way, Bush's No Child Left Behind is forcing Fairfax County's hand here. If you don't like it, don't vote Republican).

I have worked in the education realm for years. The No. 1 factor in a student succeeding academically is the home environment. If the kid lives in a home that supports education and that stays on him or her to learn and succeed, the school, unless it is a travesty like some of the DC schools, shouldn't make a huge difference.

In fact, I would rather have my kids hanging around an ethnically diverse group of kids instead of a bunch of well-healed kids of lawyers and lobbyists who can afford blow for every weekend party and good lawyers for those date-rape cases.

Posted by: southlakeseatsdicks ()
Date: August 18, 2007 08:37PM

My last memory of south lakes was the last meeting as a class we had in the big theater before graduation. I remember after the meeting with "inspirational words" from faculty who were full of shit and then being let out into the hallways where recruiters from the Army and Marine Corps (notice no navy or chair force ? haha) had already set up their stations for recruiting haha. That really made us look forward to our bright futures haha.

Honestly coming from someone who went there and has friends/family still going there if you can avoid sending your kids to SL or herndon do it.

Date: August 18, 2007 09:11PM

southlakeseatsdicks Wrote:
> My last memory of south lakes was the last meeting
> as a class we had in the big theater before
> graduation. I remember after the meeting with
> "inspirational words" from faculty who were full
> of shit and then being let out into the hallways
> where recruiters from the Army and Marine Corps
> (notice no navy or chair force ? haha) had already
> set up their stations for recruiting haha. That
> really made us look forward to our bright futures
> haha.

Every school does this. There is cannon fodder at every school.

Posted by: Not a hard concept ()
Date: August 19, 2007 02:22AM

it's because rich white parents don't want their kids to have to put up with poor minorities. right or wrong, it's the truth..

Date: August 19, 2007 08:48AM

Not a hard concept Wrote:
> it's because rich white parents don't want their
> kids to have to put up with poor minorities. right
> or wrong, it's the truth..

Absolutely right.

Granted, I would be pissed if I were paying Oakton property taxes and sending my kid to a school that was, say, less socially economically advantaged. However, the reason people are house poor in Oakton is all predicated on getting away from minorities. I find this to be humorously ironic.

Date: August 19, 2007 01:45PM

blow up schools with horrible academic records (with kids in it) and then there is no redistricting. problem solved.

Posted by: c ()
Date: August 20, 2007 04:02PM

Uhm if any of yall havent noticed that u live in FAIRFAX COUNTY!! Does it really matter what school your kids go to??
Minoritys or not theres bad seeds every where.

Date: August 20, 2007 04:07PM

c Wrote:
> Uhm if any of yall havent noticed that u live in
> FAIRFAX COUNTY!! Does it really matter what school
> your kids go to??
> Minoritys or not theres bad seeds every where.

Agreed. Note that George W. Bush, Al Gore and Dan Quayle were all Grade C students who got pushed through into great schools because of daddy's wallet and name. Same shit goes on in Fairfax. Fairfax parents are only too happy to sue the school to get an "A" for their dumbass, coke snorting, asshole kid.

Who are the racists here?
Posted by: Chantilly Mom ()
Date: August 20, 2007 04:55PM

If want my kids in a top performing school because it is a TOP PERFORMING SCHOOL, why does that make me a racist? Yes, my kids are white, and I don't want my children to be - in effect - BUSSED - to a lower performing school just so that that the lower performing school can have a higher percentage of white kids. Talk about racist!!! Those calling for redistricting admit that they are seeking and 'ethnically diverse' mix based on RACE and CULTURAL and ECONOMIC status. Excuse me.... THAT IS WHERE THE RACISM LIES!!!

I don't care what color you are, what country you come from, what religion you practice or where you live. The fact is that I want my child to go the school with the best academic record. When we moved here we chose to move into an area that would allow our children to go to one of the top 100 High Schools in the country, and we've paid a pretty penny to ensure that they would. South Lakes has a terrible reputation and a bad academic record. They want to BUS my child and use her as a 'guinea pig' to help prop up a failing school. Rather than gearing the academic curriculum to the address the needs of the students they have, they want to 'reshuffle' the deck to get more white kids. That is just plain BACKWARDS!!!

Fairfax County feels justified in segregating the supposedly GIFTED and TALENTED' kids in seperate schools to address their needs. But it is called 'racist' if you suggest they gear a particular schools curriculum to kids who are - for WHATEVER REASON - low performers. What hypocrisy!!!

Re: Who are the racists here?
Date: August 20, 2007 07:45PM

Chantilly Mom Wrote:

>
> Fairfax County feels justified in segregating the
> supposedly GIFTED and TALENTED' kids in seperate
> schools to address their needs. But it is called
> 'racist' if you suggest they gear a particular
> schools curriculum to kids who are - for WHATEVER
> REASON - low performers. What hypocrisy!!!

I take it your kids aren't gifted and talented.

By chance, did you vote for George W. Bush? If you did, you have only yourself to blame. This is a reaction to No Child Left Behind. I would suggest you contact your member of Congress and Senators Warner and Webb and ask that the law be scrapped when it comes up for renewal.

Incidentally, I do think you are over-reacting. Despite the fact brown people go there, South Lakes SOL scores are pretty solid. But I can certainly understand why you are pissed given how much you have overpaid for your home.

Posted by: soccerguy315 ()
Date: August 21, 2007 04:08PM

--------------------------

When we moved here we chose to move into an area that would allow our children to go to one of the top 100 High Schools in the country, and we've paid a pretty penny to ensure that they would. South Lakes has a terrible reputation and a bad academic record. They want to BUS my child and use her as a 'guinea pig' to help prop up a failing school. Rather than gearing the academic curriculum to the address the needs of the students they have, they want to 'reshuffle' the deck to get more white kids. That is just plain BACKWARDS!!!

-------------------

There are over 27,000 high schools in the United States. Now, if you were intelligent, you would know that measuring a school by the number of IB/AP tests the average senior takes is not a good way of measuring how good a school is. It more accurately measures how wealthy the district is, and disadvantages IB schools.

But even if you want to look at those rankings, you are arguing top 100 vs. top 500 (I don't know where SL was ranked), I'm guessing here. So, you are arguing in the top 2% of high schools in the country.

If you were a good parent, you would have confidence that your child could find success in such an enviornment, even if there are some students there that are not white.

I graduated from South Lakes, and somehow I managed to surround myself with people who now go to school at UVA, William and Mary as well as exclusive private schools in the northeast. People who have graduated from college and have become teachers in fairfax county. People who have given years of their lives to educating in some of the most underpriviledged areas of the country. People who have raised thousands of dollars to support causes they believe in. People who have gained acceptance into the military academies. Honestly, is this your definition of a 'failing school'? One of the best high schools in the country, you are claiming is a 'failing school." Think about whath you are saying.

No one is being bused anywhere. South Lakes has like 1300 students. It has always been underpopulated, and has become more so recently. Why should some schools in the county be underpopulated while other schools struggle with overcrowding? Does that make sense? Honestly, does that make sense?

If you don't want your kid to go there because you think he might be knifed, don't worry, it won't happen. If you don't want your kid to go there because s/he might makes friends with a black person, worry, it will happen. If you think your kid will gain a better outlook on life, worry, it will happen.

The world's not a happy rich box full of white people covered in purple. Eventually the real world will happen.

/SL IB Diploma graduate, 2004

Date: August 21, 2007 04:42PM

I know several people who graduated from South Lakes in the 80's. They ended up attending UVA, W&M and one attended Harvard. I cannot attest to the current state of education at SL but I can tell you that there were always some racial tensions at the school.

There as far worse schools in Fairfax County than SL, for example Marshall. You can't even compare Fairfax County schools to DC schools.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2007 05:09PM by Lurker..

Date: August 21, 2007 04:43PM

soccerguy nailed it. And yes, the IB/AP test thing is total bullshit. Everybody is doing it because Newsweek uses that as the standard. If you actually look at some of those "top schools" on GreatSchools.net, their SOL/Stanford 9 tests aren't any better than a school like South Lakes.

As for Chantilly Mom, maybe if your kids have to go to school with black and hispanic students they, and you, will lose your unfounded and irrational sense of entitlement.

Date: August 21, 2007 04:44PM

Lurker. Wrote:
> I know several people who graduated from South
> Lakes in the 80's. They ended up attended UVA,
> W&M and one went attended to Harvard. I cannot
> attest to the current state of education at SL but
> I can tell you that there were always some racial
> tensions at the school.

There's racial tension in life.

Date: August 21, 2007 04:50PM

I agree, making the World look rose covered is handicapping a kid to be able to cope in life.

Date: August 21, 2007 04:57PM

A lot of great people went to so-so high schools. I think education gives what you can take from it. Besides, most really affluent and image-conscious white people I know are fucking miserable human beings. I don't think I want my kids to learn to aspire to that way of thinking and living.

Date: August 21, 2007 05:11PM

The issue should be the quality of the teachers at the school.

Posted by: slinkeyts ()
Date: August 22, 2007 12:11AM

teachers fuck up everything

Posted by: SRE ()
Date: August 22, 2007 09:02AM

slinkeyts Wrote:
> teachers fuck up everything

Sometimes they are on top!

Posted by: Chantilly Mom ()
Date: August 22, 2007 09:03AM

I ain't no racist, but I don't wants my Billy Bob to go to school with no darkies. Billy Bob can't compete with them people when it comes to the football.

Posted by: NCLB realist ()
Date: August 24, 2007 09:27PM

>By chance, did you vote for George W. Bush? If you did, you have only yourself to
>blame. This is a reaction to No Child Left Behind. I would suggest you contact your
>member of Congress and Senators Warner and Webb and ask that the law be scrapped
>when it comes up for renewal.

NCLB was authored and sponsored by Senator Edward Kennedy, a Democrat. Bush may have supported and signed it, but it was Kennedy's baby and a bipartisan clusterf*ck. I'm all for scrapping the program, but voting Democrat won't accomplish that and will cause a whole lot of other worse problems. By all means, hold both of our Senators' feet to the fire over NCLB, but understand that bashing a lame-duck President isn't going to help anything,

Date: August 24, 2007 09:40PM

NCLB realist Wrote:
> >By chance, did you vote for George W. Bush? If
> you did, you have only yourself to
> >blame. This is a reaction to No Child Left
> Behind. I would suggest you contact your
> >member of Congress and Senators Warner and Webb
> and ask that the law be scrapped
> >when it comes up for renewal.
>
> NCLB was authored and sponsored by Senator Edward
> Kennedy, a Democrat. Bush may have supported and
> signed it, but it was Kennedy's baby and a
> bipartisan clusterf*ck. I'm all for scrapping the
> program, but voting Democrat won't accomplish that
> and will cause a whole lot of other worse
> problems. By all means, hold both of our
> Senators' feet to the fire over NCLB, but
> understand that bashing a lame-duck President
> isn't going to help anything,

The teachers unions hate NCLB. Do the Republicans listen to teachers? Hell no.

THAT is why you need to vote for the Democrats.

Ted Kennedy is a screw up. But NCLB wouldn't have been possible with Bush and the Republicans.

Date: August 24, 2007 09:41PM

As for No Child Left Behind, about 1/3 of Virginia schools have failed to meet standards under NCLB this year. If that doesn't sound the beginning of the end of this crap legislation, I don't know what will.

Posted by: NCLB Realist ()
Date: August 27, 2007 09:08PM

Teachers unions represent teachers who belong to the union -- not children. There's even a famous quote from the head of the NEA or AFT that said "When schoolchildren start paying union dues, then I'll start representing the interests of schoolchildren." I don't give a crap what the teachers unions want for their dues-paying employees -- I want what's best for my KIDS. So I won't be voting Democrat, but thanks for the tip.

Date: August 27, 2007 10:19PM

NCLB Realist Wrote:
> Teachers unions represent teachers who belong to
> the union -- not children. There's even a famous
> quote from the head of the NEA or AFT that said
> "When schoolchildren start paying union dues, then
> I'll start representing the interests of
> schoolchildren." I don't give a crap what the
> teachers unions want for their dues-paying
> employees -- I want what's best for my KIDS. So I
> won't be voting Democrat, but thanks for the tip.

Do you think Republican Congressmen want what's best for schoolchildren?

Posted by: a human being ()
Date: August 30, 2007 11:22PM

If you don't want your kid to go there because you think he might be knifed, don't worry, it won't happen. If you don't want your kid to go there because s/he might makes friends with a black person, worry, it will happen. If you think your kid will gain a better outlook on life, worry, it will happen.

This is a great statement and so very true!!

Posted by: Oakton Girl ()
Date: August 31, 2007 09:55AM

I can't wait to see the look on my white lobbyist father's face when I bring my first black South Lakes boyfriend home. Chocolate Rain, indeed.

Date: August 31, 2007 06:28PM

I'm in the SL pyramid. My kids are at Hughes and Hunters Woods and I can honestly say our experiences there have been just fine. My kids have made great friends and are "good kids". No one in my neighborhood is worried about South Lakes, because they have kids there or are going to, and the word is that South Lakes is what you make it, what your kids make it. It has a great Arts program and I personally like the diversity, and have heard from countless people that the SL reputation is really unfair. Really, the test scores are not that different in the scheme of things! They probably just reflect the broader mix of students, not how YOUR kid is going to do if they work hard and do IB!

I know people with experiences at both Oakton and South Lakes and they generally think that both schools have problems, just different problems, but are not opposed to their kids going to SL. With SL you may have more fights but also more tolerance of differences. With Oakton, you have many more overprivileged kids with a sense of entitlement and more drug problems. I've also heard that the parents at Oakton are not as friendly as at SL. This is all just hearsay, so take it FWIW.

Also, people forget that with the redistricting will come a greater socioeconomic balance, so SL will be even better than it is now. The statistics will change drastically, so that it will look much more like the schools in surrounding areas. Between that and the renovation and our great principal, SL might be even better than surrounding schools, because it's trying harder.

Nuff said.

Posted by: moron ()
Date: August 31, 2007 08:30PM

"Also, people forget that with the redistricting will come a greater socioeconomic balance, so SL will be even better than it is now. The statistics will change drastically, so that it will look much more like the schools in surrounding areas. Between that and the renovation and our great principal, SL might be even better than surrounding schools, because it's trying harder."

I hate to provide you disappointing news, but the redistricting will never happen.
Too many lawsuits by homeowners claiming that their home values will be hurt because
the proposed redistricting.

Real estate agents don't help matters by directing home buyers, especially newcomers, to certain school pyramids. Ever notice the RE ads in the local papers. I never saw one promoting the South Lakes or Marshall pryamids. For sure, you'll see Madison, Oakton, and Langley in their ads. Higher sales price = higher commission.

Posted by: zonker ()
Date: August 31, 2007 10:45PM

I'm guessing no one here has heard of private school?

Date: September 01, 2007 03:40AM

"I can't wait to see the look on my white lobbyist father's face when I bring my first black South Lakes boyfriend home. Chocolate Rain, indeed."

BAHAHAHAH. its good to see people can have a sense of humor.

dear elementary mom:
there is no atmosphere of fear at south lakes. as at every school, there are a few bad kids. the only gang incident last year was a bunch of deadbeat kids who, lets face it, aren't going anywhere in life. this in no way reflects the school. it was three kids. and a week later the newspaper reported that a gang had tagged a shed in a man's backyard. i know his son. it wasn't a gang that tagged a shed, it was the kid messing around because he figured his dad would never go back and see it and it wouldn't be a big deal.

the thing about south lakes is that while it is racially diverse, so are groups of friends. we see people as people and don't judge them by their skin tone. if your kid (not specifically directed to elem mom) was raised in a white civil rights era atmosphere then sure, south lakes wouldn't be the best fit for him. send him to a private school.

soccerguy knows exactly what he's talking about and was dead-on.

Date: September 01, 2007 10:33AM

To Moron,
I don't think falling RE values is a valid basis for lawsuit since 1) it's hypothetical, and 2) when did Fairfax County ever listen to homeowners? I guess SL people could also sue FFC for depressing their RE values. See? It really doesn't hold water.

I don't think they are adding all that capacity at SL for nothing. Also, I've heard from several Oakton people that they would prefer SL becausee it is much closer than Oakton for them. So there really are two sides to this. I don't think the whiners are going to win.

Date: September 01, 2007 11:01AM

You can sue anybody for anything.

But I think that a suit against the County over school redistricting might run into a brick wall called "municipal immunity". Just like if you fall on the sidewalk...don't waste your time and money trying to sue the County.

Posted by: MBF ()
Date: September 01, 2007 11:25AM

There is/was a lawsuit against the county recently (it may have been settled by now, I saw the paperwork when it was still underway about 2 months ago) for a woman who tripped on an upturned manhole cover owned by the ffx co dpwes and if I recall correctly, broke her wrist and dislocated her shoulder. When I saw the court paperwork, it looked like she would be getting her medical bills paid.

I could be wrong though.

Posted by: Moron ()
Date: September 01, 2007 11:36AM

Did you notice that the school board did not include parts of North Reston as part of the SL? That area happens to be part of Langley HS boundary . Although SL and even Herndon HS's are within 3-4 miles from there, the parents would rather have their kids drive their Beamers to Langley, which is a good 12 miles away. As a result of the school board catering to these areas, which have no business going to Langley, the schools in the pyramid are overcrowded when most schools in the county are declining in enrollment. I've heard several occasions that homeowners in the Langley district would sue the county if the boundary is changed.

Sorry if this sounds like my previous posts. If they are going to have kids going there from 12 miles away, why not include Bailey's Crossroads/Falls Church area, which is just as far? See what that does to the SAT scores and its reputation.

Date: September 01, 2007 04:59PM

MBF Wrote:
> There is/was a lawsuit against the county recently
> for a woman who tripped on an upturned
> manhole cover owned by the ffx co dpwes and if I
> recall correctly, broke her wrist and dislocated
> her shoulder.

i would be pissed off if something like that happened to me too. however, is she made out of glass or something?!

Date: September 01, 2007 06:28PM

I think that case sounds a lot more clear cut than possible RE value slippage. Also, since SL will look a lot more like the other schools in terms of test scores, etc, there will be less reason for people to want to avoid SL, hence less potential slippage anyway.

When you look at the boundaries for Herndon High, where North Reston goes, it is not over capacity, so it probably wouldn't make sense to move students from there.

Posted by: South Lake Tyrone ()
Date: September 01, 2007 06:40PM

You Oakton Girl. Where can I hit the phat ass?

Posted by: Bob James ()
Date: September 02, 2007 06:27AM

A rather profound and thoughtful exchange of ideas. Is the problem one of nurturing? Economics? Race? Politics? Or, all of the preceding? How do the folks who live in Fairfax Station (sic, Lorton) or those in Herdon (sic, Oak Hill) feel about this situation? Let's continue this robust and interesting sharing of ideas and opinions. It's healthful.

Posted by: TRICKIE ()
Date: September 02, 2007 09:17AM

OMG! The Fairfax Station parents will have a lot to say. Their school is so overcrowded already they had to send a bunch of kids back to Hayfield this year for middle school. Here we go again- complaints about the long bus drive, no community coheseiveness, splitting up siblings, etc.

Date: September 02, 2007 11:38AM

...at least the psychodrama may lead to catharsis

Posted by: South Lake Tyrone ()
Date: September 02, 2007 06:28PM

Bob James Wrote:
> ...at least the psychodrama may lead to catharsis

I need me some vanilla meat curtains. Mmmm, mmmm, mmm.

Date: September 02, 2007 06:32PM

See, Tyrone, it's working already. Good luck with your SATs.

Posted by: Moron ()
Date: September 03, 2007 03:18PM

South Lakes Pyramid parent Wrote:
>
>
> When you look at the boundaries for Herndon High,
> where North Reston goes, it is not over capacity,
> so it probably wouldn't make sense to move
> students from there.

Somehow your North Reston neighbors living in the Mac-Mansions near Reston Pkwy and Rt 7 are attending Langley. How come they are not going to Herndon or SL.

Posted by: Unbiased Observer ()
Date: September 04, 2007 03:45PM

Positive reinforcement produces positive behavior. Is your child better off going to a school with similar social-economic children or attending school with children from a difference social-economic strata. Or does society benefit more from social-economic diversity?

Date: September 04, 2007 08:41PM

Unbiased Observer Wrote:
> Positive reinforcement produces positive behavior.

and negative/abusive reinforcement causes a escalating spiral of anger. in such a trend, this is eventually expressed in an abusive manner or becoming a victim of abuse. i say we beat all the children!

Posted by: NorthRestonParent ()
Date: September 04, 2007 08:42PM

North Reston parents prefer South Lakes. Seahawks rule! Bean me up Scottie.

Posted by: NCLB Realist ()
Date: September 04, 2007 11:04PM

WashingToneLocian Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------->
>
> Do you think Republican Congressmen want what's
> best for schoolchildren?

I don't think ANY Congressman or politician, Republican or Democrat, cares what's best for schoolchildren. As a parent, it's MY job to care.

Posted by: Stephanie ()
Date: September 09, 2007 09:24PM

I am currently a student at South Lakes High School, and I take pride in the fact that I am a Seahawk. I participate in sports and maintain a 3.5 average in honors and ib classes. I'm an IB diploma canidate as well. I can say that I've learned a lot as a person from going to South Lakes. It's an enriching experience that has taught me about different people and most importantly myself. As many have already said, I believe we shouldn't be wrapped up in statistics, because we are all individuals, and we are all different. School is literally what you make of it. It doesn't matter if you have the best and top rated teachers in the world, no teacher can make a student apply themself. I can promise that the faculty at South Lakes, and the entire staff is extremely helpful though. They've helped me every step of the way and made sure that the enviroment we work in is the best learning enviorment possible. I'd like to take a moment to remind you all that we live in Fairfax County, Virginia. Not only one of the richest counties in the US, but with an education system that goes beyond the norm. I stepped into South Lakes my freshmen year coming from a different middle school, one that fed into the Oakton and Westfield High Schools. And to this day, I have no regret with the choice I made in coming to South Lakes. The students welcomed me with open arms and made sure that I was comfortable in knowing my way around. I am extremely proud to say I am a student at South Lakes, because we have a tremendous amount of pride. Our diversity is what makes us unique, and we have learned because of our diversity that we are all human beings and we are all the same on the inside. Now please re-think what I've said. Does it sound like some kid who fails there SOL's and drops out of school? No. I'm simply a student who maintains a solid and strong GPA in honors classes, who has never been suspended, expelled, or involved in any violent behavior. I have friends like every other kid at South Lakes, and I attend our football games with as much enthusiasm as any other student. In truth, South Lakes does not deserve the reputation it has. I'm sure I speak for everyone at South Lakes that when the time comes to graduate and prepare for college or whatever lies next for each one of us, that we will be able to hold our heads high and proudly say we were South Lakes Seahawks!

Date: September 09, 2007 09:46PM

brevity is the soul to wit mi'lady
however. bon mot.

Date: September 09, 2007 10:44PM

Stephanie, you are much wiser than the supposed adults around here.

GO SEAHAWKS!

Date: September 09, 2007 11:57PM

haha stephanie just wrote a college admissions essay.
oh yeah i need tomorrows trig hw

Date: September 10, 2007 04:53AM

Good for you, Stephanie! You and your parents have every right to be extremely proud of your achievements. It is extremely pleasing to me to read such an intelligent and well-presented discussion. I hope that Tyrone (see above) is one of your scholastic peers. I wish you every success on your journey.

Pages: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 189

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.