HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
JMU Apartment Building Collapses Due to Rowdy Party
Posted by: General Lee ()
Date: September 18, 2010 01:35AM

So the third floor of a Hunter's Ridge apartment building just collapsed, which resulted in the 2nd floor collapsing onto the 1st floor. Witnesses say that the collapse was a result of people jumping at a party.

http://www.whsv.com/home/headlines/103187464.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: JMU Apartment Building Collapses Due to Rowdy Party
Posted by: Stinkfist ()
Date: September 18, 2010 01:41AM

There is a Hunter's Ridge in Blacksburg, too. Crazy shit.

­
Posted by: chuckhoffmann ()
Date: September 18, 2010 04:16AM

­

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2013 06:16PM by chuckhoffmann.

Posted by: sab002 ()
Date: September 18, 2010 08:27AM

There was over 100+ in that apartment. I live in the apartments right across from where it happened. So it might sound ridiculous that just jumping caused it but not shocking

Posted by: Teh King ()
Date: September 18, 2010 09:01AM

chuckhoffmann Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> General Lee Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Witnesses
> > say that the collapse was a result of people
> > jumping at a party.
>
> Are you fucking kidding me? An apartment building
> should not collapse because a bunch of drunk kids
> are jumping up and down!

Uh, actually, yeah, it will...

The code requirement for the live load of most floors in public buildings is only 100 pounds per square foot. That value includes all furniture, fixtures and people. The force generated by landing should be included in the calculation.

How old is the apartment building? If it is more than 20 years old, doubt it is built to current code standards.

Posted by: Student ()
Date: September 18, 2010 09:31AM

And I always hear that Radford is the party school. JMU is in the news way more than Radford!

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: September 18, 2010 09:36AM

Teh King Wrote:
> How old is the apartment building? If it is more
> than 20 years old, doubt it is built to current
> code standards.

Hunter's Ridge is a bunch of buildings, like ten. I lived there long enough ago to figure those buildings are more than 20 years old.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: September 18, 2010 11:30AM

Hunters Ridge is one of the oldest appts on port rd, and that one that collapsed specifically is among the oldest in Hunters Ridge. While it is an old appt, you have to think about the 100+/- people that were allegedly in the appt dancing up and down. The average person limit in 2nd floor and above appts in Hburg are 20-25 people. And sometimes, thats pushing it. It was a large party, in an old appt, with a lot of intoxicated underaged students - do the math. So far, reports are that nobody was seriously injured. I guarantee people in Hunters Ridge are going to think twice about having a large dance party.

Posted by: RainDrop ()
Date: September 18, 2010 11:42AM

Shut up, that building was very old! Yes it happened so believe it, we were NOT DRUNK. it was just a dance party and a hype song came on which caused everybody to jump at the same time. I'm tired of people saying that we are stupid that this happened. Yes we do have enough common sense but people always think that stuff can't happen to them. Please keep your negative rude comments to yourself if it puts others down that actually witnessed the situation!

Posted by: Snowflake ()
Date: September 18, 2010 03:21PM

Raindrop, You are stupid if you think we believe you that no underage drinking was going on. A college party, alcohol free? Yeah sure!!!!

Posted by: Troll@AOL ()
Date: September 18, 2010 03:34PM

It is amazing nobody was killed below.

==================================================================================
"Why don't you LOSERS just pack your flower print DOUCHE BAGS
and get your stoopid @$$#$ THE FUCK OFF MY INTERNETZ!"

- 'philscamms' (the YT Watchdog) ; internet & YouTube® extraordinaire.

Posted by: RainDrop ()
Date: September 18, 2010 03:45PM

Clearly I was responding to General Lee! I just don't want anybody to think that this situation was related to "drunk rowdy college kids". It was a dance party, not a dumb "throwing up beer" party. We were not jumping up and down because we were drunk, we were jumping because a really hype song came on. This could and has happened in other places, it was just wrong timing, wrong music, wrong cheap building. I'm just glad that my friends and I didn't arrive 2 minutes earlier or we would have been in the complete middle with everybody else. Seeing everybody drop in front of your face does something to the way you think...and that's why I'm being nice on this forum even though on other pages people have commented and called us stupid. GO TO SLEEP!

Posted by: darbrewe ()
Date: September 18, 2010 04:09PM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2015 06:15PM by darbrewe.

Posted by: say ()
Date: September 18, 2010 10:40PM

The age of the place probably had nothing to do with it, if anything it held up longer than cheap shit new construction would have.

Have you all heard the thing about soldiers breaking step when marching over a bridge? Well, it's true, in 1850 400+ soldiers in lockstep cause the Angers Bridge in France to collapse killing 200+ of them.

From some website or other: A constant vibration can create a resonance frequency; if that resonance frequency matches that of the bridge then it can be enough to break it. Think of a resonance frequency as the “sweet spot.†If you hit the ball with a tennis racket in the sweet spot then it goes farther and faster, the same it true with a golf club. If you hit the sweet spot on a bridge then the normal vibrations build up on each other and disaster is the result.

Posted by: Duke ()
Date: September 19, 2010 12:19AM

FYI, the party was Bridgewater kids, not JMU students...

Posted by: D ()
Date: September 19, 2010 05:30AM

to Raindrop and anyone else who doesn't understand why the floor caved and doesn't think it's the students' fault-
ok, i'm not gonna call you stupid in general as you, and many of the other students probably Do get good grades and Are smart in general in school and in your classes. ok, fine, i'll give you that.
BUT, if you think ANY floor of an apartment building Or house can or Should hold over 100 students dancing AND jumping up and down on it, well you're at least stupid on That subject anyway! there is NO apartment building, house, etc., that is built to hold over 100 people dancing AND jumping up and down on the floor!!
you wanna get together and party, dance, stomp, and jump up and down with over 100 of your friends (or even or 50 for that matter), then GO OUT to a DANCE CLUB!! That's what they're for!! apartments and houses are built to be Lived in, and have a FEW people over from time to time, but NOT CRAZY HUGE DANCE PARTIES where you have HUNDREDS of people (or like i said, even over 40 or 50) dancing and jumping up and down on the floor!!
it also shows how the students, and Any that have parties like this in apartments, have NO consideration for their neighbors!!
there is NO court around that will take yours or Any of the students' side in this!! talk about Overloading an apartment!!
if you don't believe me, ok, you and your friends get together at Another apartment and try it all over again. i'll bet ya anything it happens again!!

Posted by: D ()
Date: September 19, 2010 05:56AM

oh, and i just came across a news video on it, there were 2 girls who lived below that party on the second floor and Thankfully for them they weren't home at the time. if they were, they wouldn't be Alive!! meaning All the students jumping up and down on that floor/the ceiling below, could have And Would have Killed those poor girls below!! think about THAT next time Any of you students (college or high school) wanna have a major dance party in an apartment building- Especially on an upper floor above people living below you!!
That's why i say, ya wanna party big time with Lots of people dancing and jumping around- GO OUT to a DANCE CLUB!! unless- you wanna keep breaking floors, paying Tons of money (which you Will) for floor and property damage, and taking a chance on getting seriously injured or killed and injuring or killing others!! doesn't sound like much fun now does it?? LIVE in your apartment (sleep, clean, eat, watch tv, do school work, etc.) then party and dance in the CLUBS!! doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure That out!! (or does it? lol)

Posted by: General Lee ()
Date: September 19, 2010 11:00AM

Duke Wrote:
> FYI, the party was Bridgewater kids, not JMU
> students...

I heard the same thing.

Posted by: gwag ()
Date: September 19, 2010 11:32AM

The problem is self serving ,spoiled immature brats who have no idea that any one but them live on this planet . All buildings are built to handle a live load and a dead load ,very simply the weight combined with a bunch of idiots jumpimg aroung like Ubangi tribesmen exceeded the engineering. What a waste of parents and tax payers money ,this school should be put into a probationary staus with all funding with held until they clean up their act and get rid of the ignorant element that exist only to drink and screw up. Grow idiots.

Posted by: Renee ()
Date: September 19, 2010 08:52PM

gwag, I am a "townie" in Harrisonburg and I can attest that JMU students are generally well-behaved and not "a bunch of idiots". Yes, they should know better than to cram that many people in one small place, but making brash comments about the whole school and population makes you look more ignorant than you're trying to make them look. I went to similar dance parties when I was a student (to dance and have fun, not to get drunk) and I'm not going to make negative assumptions about the nature of the party or the attendees.

This was an unfortunate incident, and it's a blessing no one was killed, and hopefully everyone learned their lesson about apartment structures not being infallible.

Posted by: reporterjane ()
Date: September 19, 2010 09:44PM

to RainDrop:

any chance i could get a quote or your name for a story. OR TO ANY OTHER BLOGGERS HERE: im interested as to why you chose this blog site to express feelings/facts/etc.

please email me with contact email/fb/or cell # @ clohanma@gmail.com

THANKS!

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: September 19, 2010 11:21PM

Now that I've thought about this incident more, I've pretty much arrived at the conclusion that these idiots were probably intentionally trying to break the floor down (Not in a sort of logical sense, but rather a drunken stupidity).

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: September 20, 2010 08:30AM

I love this blog here! So much great info!!! By the way the building # was 1348 for any ex-HR's here. That wasn't mine.

Posted by: Alexus.w. ()
Date: September 20, 2010 04:30PM

okay, to everyone out there, the floors had a capacity that it could hold of people. And sadly, the kids decided to break the rule. && as bad as the situation is, they shouldn't have done that. Each floor is supposed to have at the maximum 50 people, they had 100+. So why should anyone arque about it. The kids did it to themselves.

Posted by: Well yeah, but... ()
Date: September 20, 2010 04:39PM

Alexus.w. Wrote:
> okay, to everyone out there, the floors had a
> capacity that it could hold of people. And sadly,
> the kids decided to break the rule. && as bad as
> the situation is, they shouldn't have done that.
> Each floor is supposed to have at the maximum 50
> people, they had 100+. So why should anyone arque
> about it. The kids did it to themselves.

.Was there a sign in the building that stated
that limit of 50 people? Or was it in the Lease?
How do you know that fact?

Posted by: More Complete ()
Date: September 20, 2010 04:53PM

reporterjane Wrote:
> to RainDrop:
>
> any chance i could get a quote or your name for a
> story. OR TO ANY OTHER BLOGGERS HERE: im
> interested as to why you chose this blog site to
> express feelings/facts/etc.

justsayin Wrote:
> I love this blog here!...

We love this blog because it's not really a blog. I myself love to point out when people don't seem to know the difference.

Posted by: katieintheburg ()
Date: September 21, 2010 08:22PM

Very mature response.

Posted by: Katie ()
Date: September 21, 2010 08:23PM

darbrewe

[It's the hokies fault]

Very mature response.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.