HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous12All
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Teacher Woes!
Posted by: what? ()
Date: September 17, 2010 10:37PM

A poster above wrote:

One of the common elements of these uncaring teachers that I have witnessed is...they don’t have children themselves! Give me a caring, loving, and understand teacher and the chances are they have children themselves. Give me an experienced teacher who is a mom herself and you have a recipe for success…..college degree, who cares!....being a mom first should be the first requirements on the resume!

I am a teacher and I TOTALLY disagree. I have seen some incredibly dedicated teachers who have never had children! I have also seen the opposite---mothers who are horrible teachers. I don't think good teaching has anything to do with this. A person does not have to become a mother in order to be a caring individual! I was a teacher for 8 years before I had a child and I have now had a child for 15 years. I can tell you that I probably worked harder at this job before I had my own child (my child takes up time that I used to use preparing for and being with students). This was especially true when my child was in the preschool years and middle school years. Now that he is in high school, I feel that I am enjoying teaching more and more because I have more time to focus on my students. I am sure it is different for each teacher---like any job, life circumstances affect your job---but motherhood or fatherhood should not be a factor in hiring a teacher!! My best friend in teaching is single, no kids and has been teaching for 26 years. I consider her to be one of the best teachers I have known.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Teacher Woes!
Posted by: Bill ()
Date: September 18, 2010 08:46AM

Rachel, if you are still with us, I am afraid that I would agree with the neandrathals on this one. I do understand your kid's situation, having been through it both as a child and as an adult, but look at the facts.

First, the school obviously has some idea that this teacher is a problem. If he was rated low there were probably complaints about the teacher in the past. They have done nothing so far, which means they are unlikely to do anything now. If you do go in as "another random parent" to complain, the best case is they will ignore it. The worst case is they will pass the complaint on to the teacher and the teacher will then make a point of picking on your kid.

Second, given that nothing will change with the teacher, what is the alternative? Your kid is in Algebra and there is only one Algebra teacher, so perhaps your kid could pull back and do regular math. What happens next year? You may end up having the same teacher as the only Algebra teacher then, and your kid is now a year behind his peers. You could sign your kid up for Algebra in summer school to stay even with his peers. However my experience is that the same person who teaches Algebra in MS also teaches Geometry. So all you have accomplished with all the moving around is to let your kid have one year with this teacher rather than two.

So what do you do? As the neandrathals have suggested let this be a learning experience for your kid. At some point in life your kid is going to have to deal with people in power who exercise that power in an abusive manner. Learning how to deal with people like that now will be good practice for dealing with it later. It is also possible this is one of those teachers who will be a hard ass at the beginning to let the kids know that expectations are high, but will soften up later on in the year. Finally if your kid is in 7th grade Algebra it is likely that your kid is one of the better students. In elementary school many teachers will give these kids a pass on minor things because they do not demand much of teachers' time and attention. Now in 7th grade Algebra your kid is in a classroom full of special kids, and as you know "when everyone's special, nobody is".

Can't accept that, well here are a couple of alternatives.

First, you need to become "not just another random parent". All schools need some parents to be involved. At the middle school level there are alot fewer parents who take on this role. If you are one of the few, and if you occupy a key position within the school, the administration will try to work with you, even to the extent of leaning on teachers, in order to keep you around. I won't go into specifics, but I have seen it happen. Obviously the extent to which they will pay attention to you depends on how much they think they need you. If your kid is in a school with lots of parent volunteers and you are replaceable, then you won't have as much leverage. Also this does take time to develop, so it is possible you will not acquire leverage until later in the year.

Second, get your kid an IEP. Special needs kids can get all sorts of accomodations and can be a PIA for the administration to deal with. Since nobody wants more work the way administrations will likely deal with it is to tell the teacher to back off so they have less problems to deal with. This has been going on long enough that most teachers will go along.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Teacher Woes!
Posted by: Rachel ()
Date: September 18, 2010 09:07AM

Bill Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Rachel, if you are still with us, I am afraid that
> I would agree with the neandrathals on this one.
> I do understand your kid's situation, having been
> through it both as a child and as an adult, but
> look at the facts.
>
> First, the school obviously has some idea that
> this teacher is a problem. If he was rated low
> there were probably complaints about the teacher
> in the past. They have done nothing so far, which
> means they are unlikely to do anything now. If
> you do go in as "another random parent" to
> complain, the best case is they will ignore it.
> The worst case is they will pass the complaint on
> to the teacher and the teacher will then make a
> point of picking on your kid.
>
> Second, given that nothing will change with the
> teacher, what is the alternative? Your kid is in
> Algebra and there is only one Algebra teacher, so
> perhaps your kid could pull back and do regular
> math. What happens next year? You may end up
> having the same teacher as the only Algebra
> teacher then, and your kid is now a year behind
> his peers. You could sign your kid up for Algebra
> in summer school to stay even with his peers.
> However my experience is that the same person who
> teaches Algebra in MS also teaches Geometry. So
> all you have accomplished with all the moving
> around is to let your kid have one year with this
> teacher rather than two.
>
> So what do you do? As the neandrathals have
> suggested let this be a learning experience for
> your kid. At some point in life your kid is going
> to have to deal with people in power who exercise
> that power in an abusive manner. Learning how to
> deal with people like that now will be good
> practice for dealing with it later. It is also
> possible this is one of those teachers who will be
> a hard ass at the beginning to let the kids know
> that expectations are high, but will soften up
> later on in the year. Finally if your kid is in
> 7th grade Algebra it is likely that your kid is
> one of the better students. In elementary school
> many teachers will give these kids a pass on minor
> things because they do not demand much of
> teachers' time and attention. Now in 7th grade
> Algebra your kid is in a classroom full of special
> kids, and as you know "when everyone's special,
> nobody is".
>
> Can't accept that, well here are a couple of
> alternatives.
>
> First, you need to become "not just another random
> parent". All schools need some parents to be
> involved. At the middle school level there are
> alot fewer parents who take on this role. If you
> are one of the few, and if you occupy a key
> position within the school, the administration
> will try to work with you, even to the extent of
> leaning on teachers, in order to keep you around.
> I won't go into specifics, but I have seen it
> happen. Obviously the extent to which they will
> pay attention to you depends on how much they
> think they need you. If your kid is in a school
> with lots of parent volunteers and you are
> replaceable, then you won't have as much leverage.
> Also this does take time to develop, so it is
> possible you will not acquire leverage until later
> in the year.
>
> Second, get your kid an IEP. Special needs kids
> can get all sorts of accomodations and can be a
> PIA for the administration to deal with. Since
> nobody wants more work the way administrations
> will likely deal with it is to tell the teacher to
> back off so they have less problems to deal with.
> This has been going on long enough that most
> teachers will go along.

Thanks, Bill. I did, in fact, tune out the 'neanderthals', but logged on this morning. Great advice. I am lucky in that I have not only a bright, but a good kid. But like all of us, she's human with human emotions. However, I've already told her to be strong and to accept certain realities, i.e., that not all teachers are great, but that even bad teachers have some positive qualities. I also told her to see how the year plays out. For all we know, this will turn out to be her best teacher. But I'm not holding my breath.:-)

In the past, we've been pretty active in school activities and will do so this year as well. But I'm not so sure about the IEP??? Wow, it's hard to believe that parents have their children falsely labeled. What does that tell us about our school system???

Thanks, again, for the advice.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Teacher Woes!
Date: September 18, 2010 11:35AM

You tuned us out, but then followed our advice? At least give credit where credit is due.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Teacher Woes!
Posted by: Rachel ()
Date: September 18, 2010 12:22PM

WashingTone-Locian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You tuned us out, but then followed our advice? At
> least give credit where credit is due.


You don't have good advice. You live 'underground' and try to pick a bone with everyone on every thread. Pathetic. Don't bother responding because I'm done with you.

Options: ReplyQuote
­
Posted by: chuckhoffmann ()
Date: September 18, 2010 02:38PM

­



Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2013 06:29PM by chuckhoffmann.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Teacher Woes!
Posted by: Rachel ()
Date: September 18, 2010 02:48PM

chuckhoffmann Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Rachel Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > You don't have good advice. You live
> > 'underground' and try to pick a bone with
> everyone
> > on every thread.
> I think that's called the Socratic method, and
> he's trying to find and demonstrate to you the
> logical faults in your argument.
>
> You should thank him. Normally you have to pay
> about $40K+ a year for that kind of abuse.*
>
> *In law school.

He better not send me a bill.:-)

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the Socratic method is a form of debate that stimulates critical thinking & creative ideas - none of which came from that source.

Options: ReplyQuote
­
Posted by: chuckhoffmann ()
Date: September 18, 2010 06:23PM

­



Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2013 06:29PM by chuckhoffmann.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Teacher Woes!
Posted by: anonymous73 ()
Date: September 18, 2010 11:48PM

Duchess,

The parents should probably have random breathalyzer tests run on them. I wonder how many parents in the carpool lines would fail? I know someone who works in the front office at a secondary school and parents call in drunk all the time.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Teacher Woes!
Date: September 19, 2010 08:48AM

Rachel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> WashingTone-Locian Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > You tuned us out, but then followed our advice?
> At
> > least give credit where credit is due.
>
>
> You don't have good advice. You live
> 'underground' and try to pick a bone with everyone
> on every thread. Pathetic. Don't bother
> responding because I'm done with you.

I'm not saying our advice is good or bad. I am merely pointing out that you took it despite your protestations.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Teacher Woes!
Posted by: DUCHESS ()
Date: September 19, 2010 08:51AM

Thanks for the one vote. I admit I could not teach school without a drink, and maybe not even drive through the carpool lane without a stiffner. Its a tough job - teaching and parenting.

So FCPS TEAHCER-

That said, VA LAW now requires CHILDREN who are charged with any crime - the school is notified. This bothers me because although Juvenile Records are expunged, School Records - remember the saying "This is going on your permanent record!" are not. A lot of juvenile crime is stupid kid stuff. Of course felony assault and so forth should be reported, and if a kid is incarcerated, I am sure the school finds out.

Unless a crime is sexual or student related, teacher crimes are not reported to their employer. Unless the School trolls FX undergrounds arrest record, they won't know about DUI, shoplifting, or any other such crime that generally does not make the news. So, yes I would check and re-check background on teachers or anyone who has job in contact with kids.

We should be paying school employees enough that they do not have to do shady real estate deals or get rich quick schemes on the sly. School pay structure is not equitable - only the tippy top people make a nice salary. Too many of the teachers, fireman, policeman etc employed by the County drive in from great distances. But thats another topic.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Teacher Woes!
Posted by: Elle Diabla ()
Date: September 19, 2010 12:44PM

some sanity please Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would love to meet some of the morons who post
> on this site.
>
> We are talking about 7th grade, right? 12 year
> olds?
>
> Last time I checked 12 year olds don't drive cars
> or have jobs to pay and go get school supplies.
> Maybe the kid is neglected at home. Maybe,
> imagine this, the kid, terrified of being late for
> class, since most schools terrorize the kids to be
> there on time or else, dropped his pencil, left it
> in his locker or in his last class.
>
> Who cares. The kid is 12 years old.



I didn't think of this at the time that I read this thread for the first time and responded.

Definitely an eye opener and something to consider.
I'm actually ashamed to admit that this was not a forethought as I've always tended to believe my child and considered investigating as the next step.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Teacher Woes!
Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: September 19, 2010 01:47PM

I've read through all the posts, considering both sides of the argument.

Maybe the teacher is being difficult or unreasonable. 7th graders are not the most responsible tier in the social hierarchy, and it's generally a dick move to fault kids for being kids. Even the best and brightest are going to screw up now and again. Treating kids harshly in the classroom can make them less receptive to the lessons you're trying to teach, which doesn't help anyone. The kids don't learn and the teachers look like they're not doing their jobs.

That said...

Rachel, I think you're passing up a wonderful opportunity to teach your child an invaluable life lesson. Saying "it's just 7th grade" is not the attitude you or your child should have.

If your kid goes to college, they will have to deal with professors that will not hold their hand. They will not be able to call you and request a teacher that's "nicer." The professors will present their course material in whatever manner they want, and your child will pass or fail, period. You can blame the professor all you want for being an asshole, but that won't change the facts of the matter.

If your kid wants to join the military, even worse. Some drill instructors, NCOs, and officers are much harsher than others, and your precious snowflake will have to live up to standards or be discharged from the military. Requesting a change of duty because the leadership is "mean" is going to get them laughed at on their way out the door.

If you're kid's not planning on going to college and looking forward to an illustrious career in the food service industry as a Sandwich Artist at Subway, they will still have to deal with pain-in-the-ass customers who will complain to the manager if little Johnny doesn't put enough black olives on their sub.

My point is, tell your child to suck it up. No child should be subjected to genuine hostility or unfair treatment in the public school system, but that doesn't sound like what's going on here. It sounds like your child doesn't like the teacher, and your skirt won't always be there for them to hide behind.

--------------------------------------------------------------
13 4826 0948 82695 25847. Yes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Teacher Woes!
Posted by: Rachel ()
Date: September 19, 2010 04:44PM

MrMephisto Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've read through all the posts, considering both
> sides of the argument.
>
> Maybe the teacher is being difficult or
> unreasonable. 7th graders are not the most
> responsible tier in the social hierarchy, and it's
> generally a dick move to fault kids for being
> kids. Even the best and brightest are going to
> screw up now and again. Treating kids harshly in
> the classroom can make them less receptive to the
> lessons you're trying to teach, which doesn't help
> anyone. The kids don't learn and the teachers
> look like they're not doing their jobs.
>
> That said...
>
> Rachel, I think you're passing up a wonderful
> opportunity to teach your child an invaluable life
> lesson. Saying "it's just 7th grade" is not the
> attitude you or your child should have.
>
> If your kid goes to college, they will have to
> deal with professors that will not hold their
> hand. They will not be able to call you and
> request a teacher that's "nicer." The professors
> will present their course material in whatever
> manner they want, and your child will pass or
> fail, period. You can blame the professor all you
> want for being an asshole, but that won't change
> the facts of the matter.
>
> If your kid wants to join the military, even
> worse. Some drill instructors, NCOs, and officers
> are much harsher than others, and your precious
> snowflake will have to live up to standards or be
> discharged from the military. Requesting a change
> of duty because the leadership is "mean" is going
> to get them laughed at on their way out the door.
>
> If you're kid's not planning on going to college
> and looking forward to an illustrious career in
> the food service industry as a Sandwich Artist at
> Subway, they will still have to deal with
> pain-in-the-ass customers who will complain to the
> manager if little Johnny doesn't put enough black
> olives on their sub.
>
> My point is, tell your child to suck it up. No
> child should be subjected to genuine hostility or
> unfair treatment in the public school system, but
> that doesn't sound like what's going on here. It
> sounds like your child doesn't like the teacher,
> and your skirt won't always be there for them to
> hide behind.

Thanks for your advice, but I beg to differ in that my child's reactions are due to a teacher's negative behavior in the classroom. As mentioned in the thread, my child isn't the only one who feels this way. A 1.9 rating out of 5 on ratemyteacher.com speaks volumes. While I will say, this teacher hasn't personally attacked my child, he's been verbally abusive to several others. He tends to spend more time on a rampage than teaching. BUT I agree that it's my job to foster a strong backbone, because I know these SOBs are everywhere - in every subway shop & every law firm. AND even though I find it a crime for any adult to mistreat a child, those SOBs are everywhere too.

I did find the saying below your comment interesting (particularly on this thread) - 'treat me like a troll, i'll be a troll...' verrrry interesting...:-)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Teacher Woes!
Posted by: Mephisto reader ()
Date: September 19, 2010 05:03PM

Rachel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> MrMephisto Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> I did find the saying below your comment
> interesting (particularly on this thread) - 'treat
> me like a troll, i'll be a troll...' verrrry
> interesting...:-)

I've been reading Mephisto's post for months, he's not a troll. Please note the entire comment, he's referring to Vince, who was an infamous troll. I do say I am a Mephisto reader. There are some who post, and I reconize their name and I don't bother to read it because it will either be crass or worthless.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Teacher Woes!
Posted by: Rachel ()
Date: September 19, 2010 05:23PM

Thanks for the clarification.:-)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Teacher Woes!
Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: September 19, 2010 05:33PM

Rachel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As mentioned in the thread, my child isn't the only one who
> feels this way. A 1.9 rating out of 5 on
> ratemyteacher.com speaks volumes.

Not really. The teacher got a 1.9 out of 5 based on the opinions of 12-year-olds. A 12-year-old is generally not renowned for their emotional maturity. A teacher who doesn't assign homework and gives easy tests will always rate higher than a "hard" teacher to a 12-year-old.

I went to ratemyteacher.com to see the type of insight kids are providing. I don't know which teacher you're talking about specifically, or which school, so I looked up good ol' South Lakes and checked out a couple teachers who got less than a 2 out of five.

Barna-de wald, Languages

"PSYCHO! she is actually addicted to burger king. and she's a b i t c h !"

"probably the worst teacher in virginia, just terrible in general. and shes fat, like really fat."


Hui, Math

"this is byfar the worst teacher i have ever had, he tell kids if thet think something is hard, then they deserve to fail, hes rude, cant speak english correctl,"

"he hands out referals 4 suspention like candy & 4 stupid reasons such as finishing classwork to quickly & not going to the board cuz u dont understand something"

"well thank god he's not my teacher and hasn't been. but since all my friends who had some class with him complain about him i'm just gonna do what they would do"


Now, a teacher that scored a perfect 5.0...

Sam Farrar, Science

"I'm in college and I didn't understand my physics class so I emailed him, NOW I HAVE AN A!!!! coolest man EVER! and he loves to order girl scout cookies! ;-)"

"He's a great guy. Volleyball was awesome with him as the coach. He really listens when you talk and tries to help any way he possibly can"

"HE ROCKS OMG I LOVE YOU MR. FARRAR!!! Stay cool forever dude. If you get this guy NEVER let him go."


If this site had been around when I was in high school, I guarantee that the dickhead football coach who also taught wood shop would have gotten a 5.0, while the fat teacher who didn't accept any excuses for a late math paper would have gotten a 1.5.

A 12-year old's judgment in these matters is not reliable. What you should be concerned about is your child learning the things that will help him survive in an increasingly cutthroat and competitive adult world.

> While I will say, this teacher hasn't personally attacked my
> child, he's been verbally abusive to several
> others. He tends to spend more time on a rampage
> than teaching.

So this guy hasn't done anything to your kid directly, but you want to move your kid out of his classroom because of what he's said to other students? The world is not easy or fair. You will be doing your child a disservice. If the teacher starts using racial slurs, insulting your family's heritage, or saying your kid can't learn because they're ugly, then yeah, I could understand it. To move your kid based on that, though, would be doing your kid a disservice.

> BUT I agree that it's my job to
> foster a strong backbone, because I know these
> SOBs are everywhere - in every subway shop & every
> law firm. AND even though I find it a crime for
> any adult to mistreat a child, those SOBs are
> everywhere too.

And these will be the people your little Johnny has to work for, provide bullshit reports for, say "yes sir" to, and mind attendance policies for, or be fired and living on welfare. Kids have an unwarranted sense of self-importance these days because everyone thinks their child is special and should be treated as such. It will be worse for them when they join the workforce and this illusion is shattered into a billion little bits.

> I did find the saying below your comment
> interesting (particularly on this thread) - 'treat
> me like a troll, i'll be a troll...' verrrry
> interesting...:-)

It's my signature, and appears under every post I make. It's a quote of what another user on here said once.

--------------------------------------------------------------
13 4826 0948 82695 25847. Yes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Teacher Woes!
Posted by: Rachel ()
Date: September 19, 2010 06:36PM

MrMephisto Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Rachel Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > As mentioned in the thread, my child isn't the
> only one who
> > feels this way. A 1.9 rating out of 5 on
> > ratemyteacher.com speaks volumes.
>
> Not really. The teacher got a 1.9 out of 5 based
> on the opinions of 12-year-olds. A 12-year-old is
> generally not renowned for their emotional
> maturity. A teacher who doesn't assign homework
> and gives easy tests will always rate higher than
> a "hard" teacher to a 12-year-old.
>
> I went to ratemyteacher.com to see the type of
> insight kids are providing. I don't know which
> teacher you're talking about specifically, or
> which school, so I looked up good ol' South Lakes
> and checked out a couple teachers who got less
> than a 2 out of five.
>
> Barna-de wald, Languages
>
> "PSYCHO! she is actually addicted to burger king.
> and she's a b i t c h !"
>
> "probably the worst teacher in virginia, just
> terrible in general. and shes fat, like really
> fat."
>
> Hui, Math
>
> "this is byfar the worst teacher i have ever had,
> he tell kids if thet think something is hard, then
> they deserve to fail, hes rude, cant speak english
> correctl,"
>
> "he hands out referals 4 suspention like candy & 4
> stupid reasons such as finishing classwork to
> quickly & not going to the board cuz u dont
> understand something"
>
> "well thank god he's not my teacher and hasn't
> been. but since all my friends who had some class
> with him complain about him i'm just gonna do what
> they would do"
>
> Now, a teacher that scored a perfect 5.0...
>
> Sam Farrar, Science
>
> "I'm in college and I didn't understand my physics
> class so I emailed him, NOW I HAVE AN A!!!!
> coolest man EVER! and he loves to order girl scout
> cookies! ;-)"
>
> "He's a great guy. Volleyball was awesome with him
> as the coach. He really listens when you talk and
> tries to help any way he possibly can"
>
> "HE ROCKS OMG I LOVE YOU MR. FARRAR!!! Stay cool
> forever dude. If you get this guy NEVER let him
> go."
>
> If this site had been around when I was in high
> school, I guarantee that the dickhead football
> coach who also taught wood shop would have gotten
> a 5.0, while the fat teacher who didn't accept any
> excuses for a late math paper would have gotten a
> 1.5.
>
> A 12-year old's judgment in these matters is not
> reliable. What you should be concerned about is
> your child learning the things that will help him
> survive in an increasingly cutthroat and
> competitive adult world.
>
> > While I will say, this teacher hasn't personally
> attacked my
> > child, he's been verbally abusive to several
> > others. He tends to spend more time on a
> rampage
> > than teaching.
>
> So this guy hasn't done anything to your kid
> directly, but you want to move your kid out of his
> classroom because of what he's said to other
> students? The world is not easy or fair. You
> will be doing your child a disservice. If the
> teacher starts using racial slurs, insulting your
> family's heritage, or saying your kid can't learn
> because they're ugly, then yeah, I could
> understand it. To move your kid based on that,
> though, would be doing your kid a disservice.
>
> > BUT I agree that it's my job to
> > foster a strong backbone, because I know these
> > SOBs are everywhere - in every subway shop &
> every
> > law firm. AND even though I find it a crime
> for
> > any adult to mistreat a child, those SOBs are
> > everywhere too.
>
> And these will be the people your little Johnny
> has to work for, provide bullshit reports for, say
> "yes sir" to, and mind attendance policies for, or
> be fired and living on welfare. Kids have an
> unwarranted sense of self-importance these days
> because everyone thinks their child is special and
> should be treated as such. It will be worse for
> them when they join the workforce and this
> illusion is shattered into a billion little bits.
>
> > I did find the saying below your comment
> > interesting (particularly on this thread) -
> 'treat
> > me like a troll, i'll be a troll...' verrrry
> > interesting...:-)
>
> It's my signature, and appears under every post I
> make. It's a quote of what another user on here
> said once.

But it's still interesting that you would use this as a signature. Just my opinion!:-)

Seriously, I don't recall ever saying I wanted my child removed from this teacher's class. What I was searching for was advice from parents with a similar experience & teachers alike, because I think it's important to hear all sides without the unnecessary taunting just to get under one's skin. But we just differ in approach as I will intervene when necessary (though let me be clear that I did NOT say I would in this case just yet) rather than throw my kid out to the wolves and tell her to figure it out herself. That shows lack of compassion and support to a twelve year old. Frankly, I've heard some serious 12 year old bashing on this thread and kids in general. Perhaps I'm in the minority here,but I think kids are GREAT! I'm far less impressed with adults (no offense out there!) and the last thing I want is for a teacher or any adult to break a child's spirit. As for the 'real' would,I believe most adults are more scarred from their formative years than any other time in their lives. The ones who survive those years are the ones who have supportive parents. In 10th grade, my sister was told by an English teacher that she was the worst writer in her class. Even if true, do we need teachers in the classroom who say such things? Well, my sister is now an award-winning author, but still has doubts thanks to that teacher. Perhaps if our parents had intervened, there might be another outcome.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Teacher Woes!
Posted by: Retired Career Teacher ()
Date: September 19, 2010 06:45PM

My teaching experience ranged from 4th to 8th grade. My last teaching assignment was in middle school and I currently substitute-teach in that same middle school.

When asked, by parents, for my best advice, I always talk about communication. I suggest that parents make contact early with their child's teachers and maintain that contact throughout the school year. Many times, parents wait until there is a perceived problem and then the communication tends to be contentuous. And, believe me, teachers do the same thing. Don't wait for back-to-school night; find a way to contact teachers, in a positive way, as soon as you know their names.

From reading through most of this LONG thread, I noticed one thing - the entire basis of the original complaint seems to come from what the child communicated to the parent.

I remember my daughter's high school back-to-school night many years ago. Her home room teacher, after introductions, said something like: "Remember all those things you child told you about me? Well, I don't believe most of the things your child told me about you, either!"

The most important teachers in a child's life are the parents. Too often, parents take the position that teachers are paid do to a job and that they are expected to do it more or less without parental support. It just doesn't work that way. I would bet that most, if not all, teachers would support the idea that "I don't have trouble with students when I don't have problems with their parents."

There is no being more unreasonable that a middle-schooler; it's nearly impossible to reason with them. My daughter once told me that boys are aliens until about 10th grade.

Try not to take your child's side against a teacher. Let the teacher know that he or she and you are on the same side; the side of getting the best education for your child.

Good luck ...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Teacher Woes!
Posted by: Rachel ()
Date: September 19, 2010 07:02PM

Retired Career Teacher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My teaching experience ranged from 4th to 8th
> grade. My last teaching assignment was in middle
> school and I currently substitute-teach in that
> same middle school.
>
> When asked, by parents, for my best advice, I
> always talk about communication. I suggest that
> parents make contact early with their child's
> teachers and maintain that contact throughout the
> school year. Many times, parents wait until there
> is a perceived problem and then the communication
> tends to be contentuous. And, believe me,
> teachers do the same thing. Don't wait for
> back-to-school night; find a way to contact
> teachers, in a positive way, as soon as you know
> their names.
>
> From reading through most of this LONG thread, I
> noticed one thing - the entire basis of the
> original complaint seems to come from what the
> child communicated to the parent.
>
> I remember my daughter's high school
> back-to-school night many years ago. Her home
> room teacher, after introductions, said something
> like: "Remember all those things you child told
> you about me? Well, I don't believe most of the
> things your child told me about you, either!"
>
> The most important teachers in a child's life are
> the parents. Too often, parents take the position
> that teachers are paid do to a job and that they
> are expected to do it more or less without
> parental support. It just doesn't work that way.
> I would bet that most, if not all, teachers would
> support the idea that "I don't have trouble with
> students when I don't have problems with their
> parents."
>
> There is no being more unreasonable that a
> middle-schooler; it's nearly impossible to reason
> with them. My daughter once told me that boys are
> aliens until about 10th grade.
>
> Try not to take your child's side against a
> teacher. Let the teacher know that he or she and
> you are on the same side; the side of getting the
> best education for your child.
>
> Good luck ...

Thanks for the good advice. I do realize 12 year olds are impressionable & their peers are very influential in their lives, but I have tried emailing the teacher twice to no avail. Honestly, it had nothing to do with the topic of this thread, but concerns over some math equations that were sent home. Truthfully, I'm not offended just yet. After all, I'm sure he's inundated with emails, which is why I will wait to meet him in person on Back-to-School night. Breaking bread, breaking ice, breaking down walls are usually done in person, but I will pocket your good luck wishes.:-)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Teacher Woes!
Posted by: WestfieldDad ()
Date: September 19, 2010 09:42PM

Rachel -

Consider the recent contratemps in Los Angeles regarding teacher evaluations and student achievement before you do much. The LA Times obtained access to a 'Teacher value-added' database containing the change in student achievement per year by teacher. Based on the study, there is huge variation in styles amongst the teachers at the top, a wide variation in teacher evaluations amongst the top value-added teachers, and just because a teacher is "highly rated" doesn't mean the teacher actually adds any value.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/teachers-investigation/

That's not to say my kids haven't had great or horrible teachers in FCPS, the good ones for GT kids tend to be GT themselves..., most of the bad ones are excruciatingly obviously not GT...

One in particular seems to be similar to your case. Unfortunately, in our case, there wasn't any alternative given how classes were arranged here. Our kid had to suck it up & we supported our kid as much as possible. But, as our kid said, there was at least one other kid in the class the teacher hated more...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Teacher Woes!
Posted by: Rachel ()
Date: September 19, 2010 10:47PM

Boy, that would be tough for me to swallow - knowing a teacher hated my kid. But as you say, I really don't know what alternative we have given that this is the only teacher who teaches this course. AND seeing as I'm hearing that most complaints fall on deaf ears, we'll probably do what you did for your kid. I know mine will soldier on, but it's a shame that any kid has to 'suck it up' for a teacher with a rotten style.

Options: ReplyQuote
Pages: Previous12All
Current Page: 2 of 2


Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
 **      **  ********   ********   *******   **     ** 
 **  **  **  **     **     **     **     **  **     ** 
 **  **  **  **     **     **     **         **     ** 
 **  **  **  **     **     **     ********   **     ** 
 **  **  **  **     **     **     **     **  **     ** 
 **  **  **  **     **     **     **     **  **     ** 
  ***  ***   ********      **      *******    *******  
This forum powered by Phorum.