HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Fair Lakes Development Plans
Posted by: mikumsmukim ()
Date: July 18, 2007 04:55PM

the fairfax county dept. of housing and community development (DHCD) has announced plans to develop two more plots of land by the government center in fair lakes. the flyer delivered to our house 3 days ago states their plans for middle income housing, but at their meeting last night they unveiled their plans for section 8 housing as well as a homeless shelter. this plot of land is to be next to fairfax corner (ruth cris, pf changs, coastal flats)

we got our first notice about this 3 days ago. they sent out invitations to bid to the contractors 7 months ago.

i can't get over the fact that they are completely willing to devalue all of our houses, tear down the last patch of trees in ffx county and lie about their intentions. all of our community is in an uproar.

this deal seems like it is going to go through. i've seen little to no press about this, and what i have found is proclaiming it to be middle income housing (propaganda from the developer?) the board last night gave no information on who to call to complain about this, the only person i've found who is interested is pat herrity, a guy running for springfield supervisor.

why build a shelter in fair lakes, when we have no homeless here? why put it next to upscale housing? why not tear down the goddamn trailer park down the street? why lie to us about it? what can i do?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2007 04:56PM by mikumsmukim.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fair Lakes Development Plans
Posted by: local resident ()
Date: July 18, 2007 05:05PM

don't know what to tell ya, i've heard similar things about fairlakes shopping center. supposedly they have permission to put a few more hotels, office buildings, etc. around the 7100 / fairlakes boulevard intersection. i think it will just make things more crowded than they already are and most people will probably agree with that.

who knows, maybe their lying about that too and putting something else in! good luck with some answers.

Date: July 18, 2007 05:08PM

yeah, i've heard about the fair lakes stuff. they're talking about adding metro, i don't have a problem with that. i don't even mind more people here, i just don't see the logic in screwing over a couple thousand families that have paid ffx county prices and pay ffx county taxes, just to serve a need that really isn't here.

build a shelter in alexandria where we need it.

Posted by: local resident ()
Date: July 18, 2007 05:16PM

haha, i understand what your saying. it's true, this is not a cheap county to live in - it actually has been ranked one of the richest in the country before - don't know where it stands now, but it couldn't have gone down so low as to have a shelter built next to an area like fairfax corner where poor or homeless people would be seen shopping or going to a movie for 13 bucks a pop.

it is scary though, because who wants to go into p.f. changs, look out the window and see a line of people outside of a shelter?

Posted by: ffxn8v ()
Date: July 18, 2007 05:25PM

This is what you get with the Hanley's, Connelly's, Moore's of the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors.

What is the common thing here? I'll give you a clue: It begins with the letter "D"

With the new Kate Hanley family shelter going in on Lee Hwy., it does not surprise me that more "help" is on the way from our county and its elected leaders.

The BEST thing to ever happen to Fairfax County came from this man:

Maybe his son will follow in his footsteps...

Date: July 18, 2007 06:13PM

i have to admit i've never paid mind to local politics, but this certainly has changed my outlook. of the nine board members at the meeting last, seemingly none of them represent the interests of the residents of fair lakes. ffx county is eating their young.

Date: July 18, 2007 06:21PM

Pay attention!

2007 ELECTIONS are coming up...

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/eb/upcoming.htm#BOS

Districts:
Chairman: Gerry Connelly (D)
Braddock: Sharon Bulova, Vice Chairman (D)
Dranesville: Joan DuBois (R)
Hunter Mill: Cathy M. Hudgins (D)
Lee: Dana Kauffman - not running in 2007 elections
Mason: Penelope A. Gross (D)
Mount Vernon: Gerald W. Hyland (D)
Providence: Linda Q. Smyth (D)
Springfield: Elaine McConnell - not running in 2007 elections
Sully: Michael R. Frey (R)

See the pattern here???

Date: July 18, 2007 06:26PM

The Electoral Board and General Registrar
General Election
Tuesday, November 6, 2007

i'll be there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2007 06:27PM by mikumsmukim.

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: July 18, 2007 06:28PM

dont worry. Homeless people in FX county are just divorced moms living in their cars and men making about 30 grand a year or less. Not raggedytype people from the city.

;
Posted by: inkahootz ()
Date: July 18, 2007 07:29PM

;;;;

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2010 11:38PM by inkahootz.

Date: July 18, 2007 07:39PM

the trailer park should be razed and more efficient housing built. i have no problem with helping disadvantaged families, but i think we should use the space already partially developed rather than knock down more trees and devalue communities already well established.

there are several acres of land backing up to a public storage facility at the end of government center parkway. there is already a 4 lane intersection there, capable of handling the new traffic. there are no private residences there to be affected by either the construction or the influx of residents.

i'm not being arrogant, i'm trying to protect the investment that myself and many other families work hard for.

Posted by: inkahootz ()
Date: July 18, 2007 07:42PM

Agreed. That does seem like a viable and reasonable alternative. Good luck getting the board to agree to it. Let me know if you need help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2007 07:45PM by inkahootz.

Date: July 18, 2007 07:53PM

mikumsmukim Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> the trailer park should be razed and more
> efficient housing built. i have no problem with
> helping disadvantaged families, but i think we
> should use the space already partially developed
> rather than knock down more trees and devalue
> communities already well established.
>
> there are several acres of land backing up to a
> public storage facility at the end of government
> center parkway. there is already a 4 lane
> intersection there, capable of handling the new
> traffic. there are no private residences there to
> be affected by either the construction or the
> influx of residents.
>
> i'm not being arrogant, i'm trying to protect the
> investment that myself and many other families
> work hard for.

Not sure if you knew this or not, but the trailer park used to run a lot further than where it is now. In fact, it used to run all the way down behind the Toys R Us (now a furniture store) to the Best Products (now a health/sport club on the corner at Kamp Washington).

I work hard for what I have, but am also realistic and know the area.

Again, you may want to look at the past 20 years and who caused what...

Posted by: duh ()
Date: July 18, 2007 07:53PM

I work for the County and just the other day got a letter stating that subsidized housing rentals are available to qualified (poor) employees.

That's probably what this is....the County blackmails (threatens to not approve the project) the developer unless he agrees to set aside a few units for the poor cops/teachers/firefighters, etc that can't afford to live in the County.

One thing is SURE....NO developer wants to build housing for po' folks....why?....they ain't got no fucking money! LOL

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: July 19, 2007 09:00AM

duh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One thing is SURE....NO developer wants to build
> housing for po' folks....why?....they ain't got no
> fucking money! LOL

LOL! it's not that they dont have money it's that they dont have any money that the developer can bleed out of them.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Date: July 19, 2007 07:50PM

i don't think the rent is the big money part for developers.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/30/AR2007063000654.html

they say rent will be $240 every two weeks. the backing comes from the state.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2007 07:53PM by mikumsmukim.

Posted by: allivant ()
Date: July 20, 2007 06:59AM

I wonder if the plans were in the city's master plan. I used to live in Fairmont behind Fairfax Town Center. They're planning to build another condo building in the parking lot behind Baja Fresh. In the master plan that was made more than 10-20 years ago, the parking lot was supposed to be a temporary holding spot for the building. A bunch of us from Fairmont tried to stop it from happening at a meeting at the Govt Center. That went no where after they let us know it was already in the master plan.

vaburbia.com

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: July 20, 2007 02:32PM

Excerpted from the POST business section

In the suburbs, the tendency is to downplay the welfare aspect by calling it "workforce housing" for firefighters and teachers who cannot afford to live in the communities they serve. Alexandria and Fairfax County finance their efforts by dedicating a penny of the property tax rate.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/19/AR2007071902318.html

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.