HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Capital One Bank....
Posted by: Whatever2444 ()
Date: September 14, 2010 11:40PM

So now that Chevy Chase Bank is Capital One Bank, do you think it will have better service? I remember that I opened my very first bank account with Chevy Chase Bank back when I was 18, I did it because I liked the fact that there was a branch on every corner in this area. Then they later pissed me off by charging me $2.00 every single time I paid debit. I was paying the bank in order to use my own money in my account. I left them in the dust and went to another bank. So now that they changed names, are they any different or are they going to be like Comcast with same service, different name?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Capital One Bank....
Posted by: Spacy ()
Date: September 14, 2010 11:48PM

I've been happy with Chevy Chase, and am waiting to see if the Capitol One experience is as good. (The idea that things might get better has not occurred to me.)

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: September 15, 2010 04:33AM

Capital One will drag chevy chase down to its level.

FYI they bought out CCB to get Tarp Funds.

Posted by: Nova_lifer ()
Date: September 15, 2010 05:07AM

Capital One is going to grab your teet and try to milk you for every last dime they can.

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: September 15, 2010 06:16AM

Whatever2444 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> they later
> pissed me off by charging me $2.00 every single
> time I paid debit. I was paying the bank in order
> to use my own money in my account. I left them in
> the dust and went to another bank.

I have no idea why people use debit and waste their money. Process it as credit and the bank pays, not you. And it still leaves your checking account immediately, it isn't a credit account, just processed via credit network. You went through bank change hassles for nothing, good job.

The only time you'd want to use debit is if you want cash back at the grocery store, but just go to an ATM for that.

People complain about bank fees but often don't take simple actions to avoid them.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2010 06:18AM by justsayin.

Posted by: itchy ()
Date: September 15, 2010 06:54AM

What's in your wallet?

Posted by: No to CapOne ()
Date: September 15, 2010 07:02AM

Radiophile Wrote:
> Capital One will drag chevy chase down to its
> level.
>
> FYI they bought out CCB to get Tarp Funds.

CapOne is only concerned with 1 thing: their stock price. Stay as far away from them as you can.

Date: September 15, 2010 07:07AM

I stopped carrying a Capital One card because they shielded certain information from the credit bureaus, which dinged my credit report. I can only imagine what they will do with loans n

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: formerhick76 ()
Date: September 15, 2010 09:11AM

They raised the minimum balance on checking to $2,500 and raised the fees to $15/month from $10. all this for a sub-0.1% interest rate? No thanks, the BS is just going to continue.

Goodbye, Capitol One, hello, Northwest FCU.

Date: September 15, 2010 09:23AM

I guess it depends on your situation. With Chevy Chase I had fee-free checking because I had direct deposit and tacked on a savings account. As long as I kept at least a $7500 balance among the three (which I did by cycling money through CDs, which had horrible rates too but not as bad as the savings/checking rates) I had no monthly fees.

With the Cap One move that minimum goes down to $5000 for me, so I can redeploy $2500.

All B&M rates suck, you can do better by keeping whatever you have to at the B&M to avoid fees and move the rest to online banks. Rates overall still suck but 1.1% at something like ING beats sub-1% rates at the B&M.

I'd calculate out exactly how much you plan to gain in interest per year in moving banks, then see if that dollar amount is worth moving accounts, re-establishing online bill payment, moving direct deposit over with your employer, etc. It may be worth it and I'm not trying to sell you on Cap One in particular as what I'm saying applies to all B&Ms, I just think that should be a consideration before going to the trouble. A quarter percent more on the interest rate on $2500 is an additional $6.25. Per year.

Posted by: Nova_lifer ()
Date: September 16, 2010 10:40AM

With CCB I had the same fee-free checking but I didn't have to maintain any balance minimum but I did have direct deposit for my paycheck. If I walked into the bank and used their services they would charge me a $12 service fee. I'm sure CapOne will start making my life more difficult.

BTW the CapOne online site is not nearly as nice and easy to use as CCB's was.

Posted by: Les ()
Date: September 16, 2010 11:11AM

The banks lose money on money market accounts. FFR needs to be 1 percent for them to absorb the management fees. Money market funds have been closing and forcing money into bonds.

Posted by: Kilton ()
Date: September 16, 2010 12:09PM

How about those buffoons McNabb and Ovie doing Capital 1 commercials together? How lame. That McNabb sure didn't waste any time. I guess the NFL and NHL don't pay enough.

Posted by: nothappy ()
Date: October 01, 2010 03:06PM

I just closed my account - I was with CC for years - never was charged to write one check a year to get my money. C1 $10, and they placed my CC account into a higher limit...I was off by $5000 so I was going to be charged fees because my balance was low. Um everyone check you money market accounts - I'm not sure how it's legal to put you into a high limit when your not even at that limit yet...and charge you for it? and charge you $10 to get your money.

Whatever2444 Wrote:
> So now that Chevy Chase Bank is Capital One Bank,
> do you think it will have better service? I
> remember that I opened my very first bank account
> with Chevy Chase Bank back when I was 18, I did it
> because I liked the fact that there was a branch
> on every corner in this area. Then they later
> pissed me off by charging me $2.00 every single
> time I paid debit. I was paying the bank in order
> to use my own money in my account. I left them in
> the dust and went to another bank. So now that
> they changed names, are they any different or are
> they going to be like Comcast with same service,
> different name?

Posted by: More Complete ()
Date: October 01, 2010 03:13PM

nothappy Wrote:
> I just closed my account - I was with CC for years
> - never was charged to write one check a year to
> get my money. C1 $10, and they placed my CC
> account into a higher limit...I was off by $5000
> so I was going to be charged fees because my
> balance was low. Um everyone check you money
> market accounts - I'm not sure how it's legal to
> put you into a high limit when your not even at
> that limit yet...and charge you for it? and charge
> you $10 to get your money.
>
>

I am confused. Your post doesn't make a ton of sense.

You are charged 10 bucks to write a check? That can't be correct. No one would bank there if this was the case.

What do you mean a higher limit? If you were "off by 5k" wouldn't that be your fault, and not the banks?

People who get pissed at banks are more often than not people who have trouble balancing their checkbooks.

Posted by: Les ()
Date: October 01, 2010 03:27PM

Must be a monthly service fee for failing to meet their minimum balance or else a check order fee. Some are now charging for checks even if you meet the minimum balance. Suntrust jacked up their fee for checks reorders to 21.99 for 120 checks. Try Costco or WalMart if you need new checks printed. I think it's $6 at WalMart.

Date: October 01, 2010 05:00PM

With the old CC premium relationship checking was easy... have $7500 in combined accounts (checking, savings, CDs) and direct deposit and there were no fees.

With the change, they evidently do not count certificates of deposit now as a "deposit account" that applies to the $5000 minimum funding to avoid a fee. But when you log into their Web site it says right there, "Deposit Accounts: xxx,xxx.xx" with a number in my case clearly higher than $5k and includes my CDs.

So I have to fire them, a hassle but so be it. A CD isn't a deposit? They want me to pay them $180 a year in new fees for that ridiculous policy. Bye.

----------------------------------------

"She looks pretty good for 12, admit it." - WingNut, 04/24/2012

"I'm racist too. So what?" - Ellipsis 9/16/2011

"If you only knew who I was, and what I was working to do you would...have the decency to tell me I hated my nation and the way of life. I may not agree with...the government...I hate the "government"......" - Firrat 9/1/10

"there seems to be a queer...why? To try and further demean a defeated... dumb Tea party... I think we need more... far left folks on a regular basis - Louis Farakhan, Jesse Jackson...Al Sharpton" - Registered Voter, 8/19/2011

"If your computer is running slow, or you have any other problems, email me at with the problem and i am willing to fix it, for a price of course" - Taylor, spamming FFU on 04/12/2006. "N****rs as slaves again? I think so..." - Taylor, 09/20/2009

Posted by: Voter____ ()
Date: October 01, 2010 05:45PM

Why not just sign up for the totally free account? I don't keep anything in my checking account--except what goes in to cover the bills. Once my mortgage payment clears there will be $20 in my main bill paying account. Any significant money goes into accounts with higher yields than what you can get in a checking account. The only thing that has really irritated me about the changeover is all the branches/atms they have shut down. I originally chose Chevy Chase because of the ubiquity of their atms. I refuse to pay fees for anything so that was important. Lately, it seems I'm always short on cash because the atms just aren't as convenient.

justsayin Wrote:
> With the old CC premium relationship checking was
> easy... have $7500 in combined accounts (checking,
> savings, CDs) and direct deposit and there were no
> fees.
>
> With the change, they evidently do not count
> certificates of deposit now as a "deposit account"
> that applies to the $5000 minimum funding to avoid
> a fee. But when you log into their Web site it
> says right there, "Deposit Accounts: xxx,xxx.xx"
> with a number in my case clearly higher than $5k
> and includes my CDs.
>
> So I have to fire them, a hassle but so be it. A
> CD isn't a deposit? They want me to pay them $180
> a year in new fees for that ridiculous policy.
> Bye.

Posted by: Mrs. K ()
Date: October 01, 2010 06:36PM

Since taking over CC bank, we've had problems with CapOne taking forever to credit our deposits, and our checks and other payments have cleared faster.

Date: October 01, 2010 07:11PM

Voter____ Wrote:
> Why not just sign up for the totally free account?
> I don't keep anything in my checking
> account--except what goes in to cover the bills.

I agree totally with you, and with the arrangement I had with CC I kept the minimum I need to avoid fees there. I do the same thing, nothing more in my checking account than what I need for one month. The $7500 minimum when including a savings account or CD wasn't a problem and gave me the potential access to a few grand without transfers from other banks / investment houses (quickly) if I ever needed it.

Signing up for another account type with C1 will still require me to redo my direct deposits and other stuff because account numbers will change, and where I'm moving to is indeed a totally fee-free account with no minimums. If I have to make a change anyway I'm doing it with someone other than C1.

I have had no problems with CC/C1 ATMs following the conversion, but I usaually went to the branch office ATMs anyway. When CC left Giant and PNC took the ATMs there, that was a huge cutdown in the ATM convenience. I too refuse to pay fees, which is why I was so careful reading the changeover paperwork and why I got miffed when they move the goalposts and fee'd me.

"If you only knew who I was, and what I was working to do you would...have the decency to tell me I hated my nation and the way of life. I may not agree with...the government...I hate the "government"......" - Firrat 9/1/10

"there seems to be a queer...why? To try and further demean a defeated... dumb Tea party... I think we need more... far left folks on a regular basis - Louis Farakhan, Jesse Jackson...Al Sharpton" - Registered Voter, 8/19/2011

"If your computer is running slow, or you have any other problems, email me at with the problem and i am willing to fix it, for a price of course" - Taylor, spamming FFU on 04/12/2006. "N****rs as slaves again? I think so..." - Taylor, 09/20/2009

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2010 07:13PM by justsayin.

Posted by: usaaisgood ()
Date: October 01, 2010 07:55PM

Usaa reimburses for all atm fees they also have an app that let's your take a picture of your check to deposit it, perfect for fat asss americans or busy ones.

Posted by: ItsYourMoney ()
Date: October 01, 2010 08:16PM

Why would you pay a cent to have an institution hold your money?

Find a way to get into a credit union or better yet, USAA. Along with being totally fee free, we get reimbursed for ALL ATM fees. (up to like fifteen bucks a month or something)

Banks make money on loan products, credit card balances, mortgages, etc. Nickel and dime fees are nothing but a gouge. They prey on those who can't balance a checkbook.

Posted by: say ()
Date: October 01, 2010 08:18PM

All big banks suck. Credit unions all the way!

Posted by: Dane Bramage ()
Date: October 01, 2010 08:37PM

Cap One online interface sucks and they placed a hold on a deposit today, even though I've had no overdrafts and a $5K OD line available (I did not have holds with CCB). Can no longer transfer from checking to pay the mortgage...

I'm done. USAA gets my business, and their check orders are free too.

Posted by: CU all the way ()
Date: October 01, 2010 08:43PM

Use a credit union!!! They are owned by the members---that's YOU! I have been with a CU for over 20 years and nothing is hidden or weird. They have been wonderful.

Posted by: Client 9 from Outerspace ()
Date: October 01, 2010 09:35PM

Mrs. K Wrote:
> Since taking over CC bank, we've had problems with
> CapOne taking forever to credit our deposits, and
> our checks and other payments have cleared faster.

Capital One now sits on the direct deposit for my pay until Monday morning. Chevy Chase would credit my account the previous Friday night.

Capital One the In-Process for bill payment starts much quicker than CC. Chevy Chase in-process was usually the day before my scheduled payment. Now, C1 in process starts about a week ahead of time.

For sheduled drafts, such as my mortgage payment, C1 debits my account at midnight for that day. CC would debit my account at the end of the day.

I really miss Chevy Chase bank. Now, I have to put up with those shysters.

I'm in the process of switching to PNC, but the process with them has been a real pain. I might be switching to USAA. The banking part is open for non-military.

Posted by: afcu ()
Date: October 02, 2010 11:05PM

Capital One is notorious for suing people over the smallest amounts, I have heard of somebody having to go to civil court over a $300 credit card charge off. I wouldnt go near them, stick with a credit union, I am happy with PenFed and Apple FCU

Posted by: Sarah ()
Date: October 21, 2010 10:07AM

I HATE CAPITAL ONE.

I've been with Chevy Chase since I was 13 years old (I'm 28 now) and I have not had a single solitary problem with CC. Now that Cap 1 runs things, they have officially pissed me off.

1) it takes like 2 days for my deposits to clear - I made a deposit Monday afternoon and it just cleared this morning (with CC I used to be able to make a deposit at a bank near my office, drive 5mins to my office, and begin paying bills - now I have to wait for my available to reflect my current)

2) the online interface SUCKS

3) They royally pissed me off on Monday. I checked my account and it said I had $2900 in the account, so i went ahead and paid my amex bill which was 2300. I went to deposit some checks, and the deposit receipt also said my intial balance was 2900. So i go to check my account on Tues am, and my checks aren't showing up in the system AND my balance has a NEGATIVE balance!!!!! WTF!!!!!!! so I went to the bank to figure out the check situation, and while I was there they said that my account ACTUALLY began with 1900. THATS A HUYGE DIFFERENCE. and I rely heavily on my online balance to figure out what bills I can pay.

I'm off to investigate Apple FCU and USAA (Dont think I can get into USAA b/c I'm not military)

Posted by: They Lose ()
Date: October 21, 2010 10:16AM

> Goodbye, Capitol One, hello, Northwest FCU.

Yup, same for us - been with CC for 20+ years, then they raised their minimum balance and imposed a $10 fee, then they got bought by C1 and raised both again. First time EVER got a fee charged to a Direct Deposit checking account.

Said "That's it!" and am going to Apple FCU as soon as the first pay deposit is made to AFCU (account already open and awaiting).

BTW - CC folks said the ATM card would still work after the changeover - nope - was at Costco and the card "bounced" (fortunately had a checkbook with me), tried it right at the bank and it bounced there, too. Now they're trying to send my wife a Visa/ATM card in the name she had 8+ years ago even though we told CC about her name change back then AND even though there are no accounts at C1/CC with her old name. Fun stuff.

Posted by: T2T ()
Date: October 21, 2010 10:17AM

Chevy Chase Bank used to build some classy looking branches - columns, brick, etc. I'm almost sure CapitalOne will not continue this tradition and build up some hokey looking brach buildings during future expansions.

Date: October 21, 2010 11:14AM

They Lose Wrote:
> Yup, same for us - been with CC for 20+ years,
> then they raised their minimum balance and imposed
> a $10 fee, then they got bought by C1 and raised
> both again. First time EVER got a fee charged to a
> Direct Deposit checking account.

I had a similar situation and am going through the motions to open a new account. Like I posted earlier I love the employees at my branch but I just can't take the new policies. Almost every other bank has fee-free accounts with bill pay with a direct deposit, plenty of other places to go. It is time-consuming but I'm happy to walk when I don't think things are right.

Posted by: Boris ()
Date: October 21, 2010 11:24AM

formerhick76 Wrote:
> Goodbye, Capitol One, hello, Northwest FCU.

Ahhh, Mr. Bond so we meet again.

I ditched my Cap 1 credit card a couple of years ago but the bank hasn't pissed me off enough yet to go through the hassle of moving all my accounts. It's probably only a matter of time.

Posted by: Yabels ()
Date: October 21, 2010 11:33AM

"THAY ORR EHVREEWHERE!"

(*flashes gap-toothed smile*)

Posted by: smartass ()
Date: October 21, 2010 11:40PM

I;ve been with CC for over 30 years (back to when they were an S&L), Chevychase had been deteriorating over the years (services, banking packages, customer serrvices, fees) over the years, but were still OK. Cap One sucks, a major step down from CC ...but looking around at the other banks they seem to all have poor reviews also. I will probably go the union route.

Posted by: smartass ()
Date: October 21, 2010 11:51PM

Meant credit union on end of my last post, abyway forgot to mention that C1 even puts a pending on my paycheck direct deposit for a day. CC never did that...geez I work for a company with over 100,000 employees. C1 drags their feet on every deposit that I've made. They even put a hold on a check they wrote and mailed me and then deposited it at one of their branches (a C1 check for 800.00 that they owed me for over debiting/withdrawing too much money for home equiy loan payoff). Well at least I got my refund without too much hassle. Let me repeat...C1 sucks!!!

Posted by: need a new bank ()
Date: October 22, 2010 09:32AM

so... in the same boat. been with cc for 10 years and now need to switch. anyone have experience with Bank of America? Suntrust? BB&T? TD Bank? ???

I have an account with PenFed, but it is not convenient for me (I make 3-5 in person deposits per month).

I also have Fairfax CU - which sucks.

I have direct deposits and do mostly online bill pay.

Posted by: mwdfilive ()
Date: November 17, 2010 10:45PM

Never would I had thought about switching Banks until this month. I had banked with Chevy Chase sine the late 80's and never would have thought for two seconds to leave them though now since they are Capital One Bank I want to close my account ASAP.

For years I have had a personal account with a Trading As Business Name on the account.

With the new merger though Capital One change the status of my account from a personal account and now made it a small business account without my knowledge or permission.

In so doing, this was of great benefit to the bank due to the fact that the new law regarding overdraft fees do not apply to business accounts they only apply to personal accounts.

In not watching my account for three weeks as I was overseas my account went into the negative. Well so negative that I was hit with 30+ overdraft fees at $35.00 ea. due to my regular debit from that account.

When I got back I went to my local branch in Maryland and was informed that the bank paid all my charges for me to be professional. I asked them that under the new regulations why did they pay anything once the account went into a negative status and I had not opt'd in to have charges paid for me in the event that my account went negative.

Their answer since you have been such a great customer since more than 10+ years we did this for you.

Well this is and was bull since they never disclosed any of the account changes to me.

I can admit fault in me not checking my account though to cover their behinds they changed my account as far as status.

Well I have vented way to much here and do not want to bore you.

#1 If you have an account with them close it. Under there new rule you can close your account when you have a zero balance in it though here is the goodie if any transactions come into that account for any reason within a five day period of you closing your account than your account will be automatically re opened and you will suffer insufficient fund charges at what ever rate they choose. You again will have to bring your account to a zero balance paying any overdraft fees they access and then re-close your account and wait another five days.

Now after you wait another five days after your re-close and another / any transactions appear in/on your account during this second period of time then the bank will close your account and put it into a "Charge Off" status now affecting your credit status, and they will report you negatively to Check Systems a clearing house org. that all banks check prior to you opening another account with another bank and they will put a flag against your name and SS#

#2 They have a Advocacy Department for customers though this department has some of the most worst employees I have ever seen. They are suppose to defend you/ your case to the bank and act on your behalf. Lets just say NOttttttttttttttttt

#3 Get a good lawyer as I have done to fight on your hehalf and there is upcoming class action suite that bank customers will a part of that have had problems and concerns since this new merge

Posted by: oinker ()
Date: November 17, 2010 11:24PM

from a law enforcement perspective they suck balls, the only bank that's worse is bank of america.

quick true story from a few years back. A couple of turds steal a guy's credit card which has a $3,000 credit limit and go on a $12,000 shopping spree over a several day period. Does Crap One notify him of suspicious activity or shut down an over-limit account? No. Long story short, turds are caught in the act and arrested. We get a hold of the cardholder by other means as the customer service representative in Mumbai won't disclose his info or call him on our behalf. Turns out he discovered the card missing 9 hours prior to the arrest and notified Crap One but they didn't deactivate the account.

The barbarian commercials are funny but the bank sucks.

Date: November 18, 2010 07:54AM

mwdfilive Wrote:
> #2 They have a Advocacy Department for customers
> though this department has some of the most worst
> employees I have ever seen. They are suppose to
> defend you/ your case to the bank and act on your
> behalf. Lets just say NOttttttttttttttttt

My branch people agreed with me on an incorrect fee assessment and they credited it back, then told me someone from this advocacy group would call me to make sure it didn't happen the following month. I was promised a call within two days, it never came and the third day is when I told myself I'd had enough and began the long process of switching banks.

While I was at it I took the time to open a checking account with two different banks, both fee-free and no-minimums accounts, so in the future I can more easily switch if there is a problem.

Posted by: pds ()
Date: November 23, 2010 01:31PM

Well, a previous ChevyChase plat. account holder here, and I'm at "strike 2" with these jokers.

I could go on and on about how lame they are, but where to go is the real question. I'm surprised no other local bank has stepped up with a great deal to capture all the ex-chevychasers. TD Bank? Wachovia? other?

ChevyChase bank sold us down the river! Sometimes the f'ing greed in this country makes me sick. This is capitalism at it's worst.

And once again, something I liked bites the dust. Does anything have staying power anymore???

Date: November 23, 2010 01:39PM

Capital One hasn't run a bank before and suddenly they have a regional chain. Of course there are going to be problems. These guys don't have any experience doing this kind of thing.

As for other banks trying to capture Chevy Chase customers, TD Bank and Wachovia (now Wells Fargo) are going through their own acquisition-related issues. They don't exactly have time to be strategic.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: November 23, 2010 01:53PM

Some bank has had radio ads which clearly implicates Capital One...

"I've been getting used to my new bank, the transition has been great." BZZZZT

"OK, there have been a glitch or two." BZZZZZT

etc, etc.

Date: November 23, 2010 01:54PM

pds Wrote:
> And once again, something I liked bites the dust.
> Does anything have staying power anymore???

Dunno, but when they hit strike three see my second paragraph in the post above yours.

WTL - CapOne has been a bank for years. They haven't run branches before, but that is why the old CC staff runs the branches. The anger comes from CapOne banking policies that have been in place with them since before the CC conversion and now old CC customers have to deal with them.

We're talking about things like not counting a CD with the bank as a "deposit" amount against a minimum deposit total needed to avoid fees, stuff like that. Regular bank stuff.

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: November 23, 2010 01:56PM

There are DOZENS of banks in the area to switch to.

Hell, just drive down 123 in Vienna, probably at least 20 different banks on the three mile strip alone.

Date: November 23, 2010 02:38PM

PNC has machines in the Giants like CC used to. I hear positive things about Burke & Herbert. You can go with a credit union. Countless options that aren't CapOne.

Posted by: Kilton ()
Date: November 23, 2010 02:40PM

Welp, as if McNabb's dopey Capital One commercials with Ovi weren't bad enough (Great acting there bucko!) now he's doing Dr. Pepper commercials. This guy is unstoppable.

Learning how to play consistently good football is still absent from his repertoire.

Posted by: AleshiaABAX ()
Date: November 30, 2010 05:50PM

? what does that mean?

Posted by: AleshiaABAX ()
Date: November 30, 2010 05:53PM

? what is smiling?

Posted by: No money left ()
Date: November 30, 2010 06:13PM

Trying earnestly to get away from Capital One; submitted banking institution changes to all my autopayment sites (mortgage, HOA (*), etc).

Washington Gas has an online site; changed the info there; visually everything's changed on my profile page; I'm a happy camper.

A month later...

Didn't work. Call them up. They say a paper form has to be submitted. I say "The online profile says everything's changed correctly, why didn't it work?" They say "Have to submit paper form because you're autopayment; that web site reflects eBill only".

eBill - that's where you manually click on something to pay a bill electronically.

No, the website doesn't say that anywhere and washington gas is totally nonresponsive to emails to their customer care.

Wonderful. Have to wait ANOTHER month before closing those Cap One accounts.

==========

(*) And the HOA, though correctly pulling money from my credit union, is ALSO still pulling money from Cap One - double payment.

Sheesh.

Date: November 30, 2010 09:05PM

That is a big reason why I don't use vendor-sourced automatic payments (i.e. they pull from me). I use online bill pay from whatever bank I am with to send payments (I push to them), even schedule them as recurring. Why not just cancel the automatic payment with Washington Gas and set up bill payment with whatever bank you moved to? You just need to fill in the address and the account number and amount, along with the date to pay it. No special paperwork or anything, real easy.

Posted by: Mofo ()
Date: November 30, 2010 11:13PM

More of a credit card related story but I have a Citi card that I have had for years. I usually pay my balances early (so I won't spend the money on other stuff) so I paid 1200 or something but forgot a 24 dollar charge added to it before the statement closed. Before I even knew about it I got a call from a very nice native English speaker saying this was very unusual for my account. I explained to him what I did and he waived the late fee over the phone and took my payment over the phone at no additional charge, that and that card gives me a 7% interest rate.

Bottom line, I've started using my citi card a lot more. Never had a capitol one card.

Posted by: Mofo ()
Date: November 30, 2010 11:25PM

Also I've been very happy with Wachovia, they are being merged with Wells Fargo but so far the only thing they've done at my local stores is upgrade the ATMs that are no envelope free and you just put in the check and it reads the amount and everything.

Aside from bank of america I don't think you can find a larger atm network of wells fargo and wachovia combined. I have yet to see if wells will get rid of the totally free checking wachovia had but I now have direct deposit to that account so it likely won't matter.

If you want a good local bank go with Cardinal. I also have a credit card with Pentagon Federal Credit Union and they are very good. You can scan your checks with them to deposit them (you have to mail them in after a few days), but no actually going to atms. Pentagon federal also has a 5% cash back on gas, no points or programs, just direct deduction from your statements.

If you're not a DOD employee you can join the military family association to become a penfed member.

Date: December 01, 2010 07:22AM

PNC is in all the Giants where CC used to be. If you join a credit union I think you'll end up with a larger network of free ATMs than Wachovia, easily. You get linked in with the other credit unions and I think 7-11's with whatever they use, not that I would go grab cash inside a 7-11.

With my credit union I can scan for deposits and don't have to mail the checks.

Posted by: No money left ()
Date: December 01, 2010 07:54AM

> ...Why not just cancel the automatic payment with Washington Gas and
> set up bill payment with whatever bank you moved to...

That's what the (apparently correctly set up) eBill is - you go to Wash Gas and click on a button to appropriately pay your bill with the right amount.

However..I'm a lazy bumpkin - I set up these autopayments (for everything that occurs monthly - or trimonthly for FCWA) because I don't want to do ANYTHING w.r.t. this except maybe check my banking account balances now and then. If I stop autopayment and then need to go to a site (even a bank site) and fill in amounts to pay, etc, then it's not significantly better than check writing - I have to get involved, I have to type in amounts, I have to carefully check I typed in the right amount, I have to worry about what the date is so I'm not late with a payment, etc etc etc.

No thanks.

I curse antiquated poor-online-interface institutions like Wash Gas because they really are clueless compared to other institutions w.r.t. modern-day capabilities (for example, they still require a cancelled check, you can't set THIS up online though you CAN set up eBill online, you can't set this up by phone, etc) but, in actual fact, the setting up is totally static ONCE it has been set up and thereafter I don't have anything to curse about.

All my automated bill payments (even credit card - that one surprised me since I always assumed credit card companies don't WANT timely payments so they can get the interest!) are working fine except for WG, the water company (probably okay), and the HOA which is paying fine, just paying both banks rather than the new one.

Posted by: Buggzy1978 ()
Date: December 01, 2010 09:40AM

> That's what the (apparently correctly set up)
> eBill is - you go to Wash Gas and click on a
> button to appropriately pay your bill with the
> right amount.

EBill through the vendor's website is not what the other poster was talking about. You can set up your different bill payees through your *bank's* online website. But given what you write next, it's a moot point anyways.
>
> However..I'm a lazy bumpkin - I set up these
> autopayments (for everything that occurs monthly -
> or trimonthly for FCWA) because I don't want to do
> ANYTHING w.r.t. this except maybe check my banking
> account balances now and then. If I stop
> autopayment and then need to go to a site (even a
> bank site) and fill in amounts to pay, etc, then
> it's not significantly better than check writing -
> I have to get involved, I have to type in amounts,
> I have to carefully check I typed in the right
> amount, I have to worry about what the date is so
> I'm not late with a payment, etc etc etc.

Well, if you don't want to "get involved", then these are the types of hassles you have to deal with. Personally I think automatic payment is awful. These companies stick their hands in your account automatically, and you've pre-authorized it. So if you have some type of dispute with the vendor, your bank isn't going to have your back. Plus, if you need to change account numbers, it is a HUGE pain, as you are now experiencing. And since a lot of your payments are not for recurring amounts, how are you certain that you will have enough in your checking account when a payment auto drafts? Do you just keep a lump sum in checking? Have you ever experienced an overdraft as a result of an auto pay? Online bill pay is pretty easy. You just take the time *once* to input all your bill payee informationan, and from that point on it takes about 2 minutes to pay all your bills. It's not all that "involved", but really, I do think there needs to be a certain level of "involvement" when it comes to your finances anyways. That's what cracks me up about people who complain about bank fees/hassles. The same people don't want to have any level of responsibility when it comes to their bank account, but they're the first to complain.

Posted by: CMM ()
Date: December 04, 2010 06:51PM

A friend recommended IGA Bank, I don't know anything about them and would appreciate some input. Please be candid.

Posted by: Yupper ()
Date: December 04, 2010 07:31PM

Usaa bank. Three branches opening in the area soon, 1st one @ Pentagon Row

Posted by: CMM ()
Date: December 04, 2010 08:12PM

I'm a USAA Member however not everyone has a military background. Have they changed their policy, don't you still have to be in or have been in the military to be a USAA Member?

Posted by: rob ()
Date: December 04, 2010 09:17PM

CC has always sucked, in fact to me they were as low as BoA.

i think banks that arent CU really are trying to piss off ppl. i have TD bank, which was commerce bank. Gradually they have been switching policies to the point where im getting tired of them.

Used to be no minimum in checking, now $100. used to be able to cash PAYROLL checks, now you cant. their online system has caused me to OD because it says 1 thing and was actually another.

Posted by: say ()
Date: December 05, 2010 07:36PM

CMM Wrote:
> I'm a USAA Member however not everyone has a
> military background. Have they changed their
> policy, don't you still have to be in or have been
> in the military to be a USAA Member?

I don't think so, not for banking. Insurance yes, banking no.

(it wasn't that long ago that USAA wouldn't insure enlisted personnel, only officers)

Posted by: Bostonjake ()
Date: December 13, 2010 02:53AM

After 15 yrs w/CC and happy. It only took 3 months for Crap One to make me have to find a new bank. Backwards is Crap bank, both Online-banking and now at all branch bank locals. TAKE WARNING SOMETHING IS WRONG HERE!!!

Posted by: danrub ()
Date: December 26, 2010 11:56PM

I've been happy with Chevy Chase, and am waiting to see if the Capitol One experience is as good. (The idea that things might get better has not occurred to me.) agreeed

Posted by: Katt ()
Date: March 01, 2011 02:15PM

I guess I'm in the minority. Had no problems with my Chevy Chase accounts being changed over to Capital One.

For those of you complaining about minimum fees, if you didn't have the correct account with Chevy Chase, you would have gotten charged fees as well. If you can't keep the minimum $$$ in your account, opt for the Direct Deposit checking. NO FEES as long as you have a direct deposit each month. I've NEVER been charged a fee, even when I've only had $5 in my account.

My only problem with Capital One is that their online banking sucks. At least once a week I try to access my account online and I get the "site is down thank you for your cooperation ...." message. Today it has been down for several hours.

But other than online banking, the transition for me has been pretty seamless.

Date: March 01, 2011 02:47PM

Good for you. They charged me fees following the conversion and should not have according to my branch. The branch could not assure stoppage of the fees, so I fired them.

Posted by: ExCC ()
Date: March 01, 2011 02:53PM

> ...NO FEES as long as you have a direct deposit each month...

My wife had a checking account for years with Chevy Chase - direct deposit.

They raised their minimums.

$15/month fee.

Years on that account without a fee, then WHAM!

We said Buh Bye.

Posted by: someone ()
Date: October 22, 2011 07:56PM

No they didn't. You are so wrong about that. Get your facts straight.

Date: October 22, 2011 08:50PM

No, the poster is right. I left for a similar reason... the account I had pre-changeover with Chevy Chase would charge no fees as long as I had $5000 in deposits with the bank. When the changeover happened, they did not count a CD (last word being "deposit") as a deposit toward that minimum while Chevy Chase did. Total BS so I fired them.

Posted by: Gunner ()
Date: October 22, 2011 09:06PM

CMM Wrote:
> I'm a USAA Member however not everyone has a
> military background. Have they changed their
> policy, don't you still have to be in or have been
> in the military to be a USAA Member?

I think you can join if you were previously in the military. If you are comfortable doing your banking on-line, USAA Federal Savings Bank is the best in the country. I've been with them for decades although I've never actaully been anywhere near the actual bank (1) in San Antonio.

Posted by: Banker ()
Date: October 23, 2011 10:39AM

Gunner Wrote:
> CMM Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I'm a USAA Member however not everyone has a
> > military background. Have they changed their
> > policy, don't you still have to be in or have
> been
> > in the military to be a USAA Member?
>
>
> I think you can join if you were previously in the
> military. If you are comfortable doing your
> banking on-line, USAA Federal Savings Bank is the
> best in the country. I've been with them for
> decades although I've never actaully been anywhere
> near the actual bank (1) in San Antonio.

You don't need any military affiliation to use the banking. You just won't be able to use the remote deposit feature (using phone or computer w scanner) because they only offer that to people with the insurance as well. You still need a military affiliation for the insurance. You would have to mail any deposits to San Antonio.

Posted by: DanielLee5 ()
Date: September 06, 2022 01:07AM

Capital Bank is rather good, at least it is not worse than other famous US analogues.I am very intrigued by some acima credit reviews and I just think this financial company could be quite helpful when it comes to different loans and mortgages.

Posted by: DIE SPAMMER!!!!! ()
Date: October 17, 2022 02:27PM

DanielLee5 Wrote:
> Capital Bank is rather good, at least it is not
> worse than other famous US analogues.I am very
> intrigued by some href="https://acima-credit.pissedconsumer.com/revi
> ew.html">acima credit reviews
and I just think
> this financial company could be quite helpful when
> it comes to different loans and mortgages.

Eat shit and die spammer

file.php?40,file=495505,filename=_steamyfile.php?40,file=494999,filename=_steamyfile.php?40,file=485077,filename=BBC10.g

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.