HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Oak Hill = pretentious Herndon?
Posted by: Really? ()
Date: September 12, 2010 09:24PM

The other day, I overheard some people talking about where they lived. You would have thought they lived in the best, most prosperous area of this country. Turns out, they live in Herndon, err... Oak Hill...

Who are they kidding? They now have split the post office for Herndon, making this pretentious enclave of homes. Really?

Doesn't seem that well-to-do, to me. As one who has lived in the region my whole life, I find this laughable. Like Laurel Hill, err, Lorton...

Too funny!

From Wiki:
Oak Hill is a suburban unincorporated community located in Fairfax County, Virginia, United States, just east of Washington Dulles International Airport. Schools serving the Oak Hill area include Oak Hill Elementary, Fox Mill Elementary, Floris Elementary, Navy Elementary, Crossfield Elementary, Franklin Middle School, Rachel Carson Middle School, Chantilly High School, Westfield High School, and Oakton High School. Oak Hill has a ZIP code of 20171.
At the time of the 2000 Census, Oak Hill had 33,811 residents. According to the census Oak Hill is about 75% white, 5% African American, and 15% Asian. 83% of the people in Oak Hill live in family households. 81% of Oak Hill residents own their own homes. 40% of Oak Hill residents have a bachelor's degree, and 28% of Oak Hill residents have a graduate or professional degree. The median household income in Oak Hill is $102,000.
The Oak Hill community is served by the Oak Hill post office, which branched off of the overcrowded Herndon post office. Oak Hill is located in unincorporated Fairfax County near the town of Herndon in close proximity to Reston, Chantilly, and the town of Fairfax.
Amenities include Frying Pan Park, a working museum farm operated by Fairfax County Parks and Recreation.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Oak Hill = pretentious Herndon?
Posted by: Expert on douches ()
Date: September 12, 2010 11:56PM

At the risk of sounding pretentious, I must inform you that it is pretentious to say pretentious.

Posted by: -SBS-_ ()
Date: September 13, 2010 12:07AM

It's no Great Falls, but it is as different as night and day from the main part of Herndon. Even though my zipcode is 20171 (Oak Hill), I still say Herndon 99% of the time. I don't blame my neighbors for wanting to distance themselves from Herndon, though.

Posted by: Piggy ()
Date: September 13, 2010 08:35AM

There is a distinction between the Town of Herndon, and the rest of the area. There is a distinction between the City of Fairfax, and the Fairfax section of the County. There is a distintion between the City of Alexandria, the Alexandria section of the County.

Posted by: formerhick76 ()
Date: September 13, 2010 08:36AM

It's like the folks who live in Centreville ... er, north Clifton, or Ghettosburg ... er, North Potomac.

We all know the story. Maybe one day folks in 20171 can afford to live in a better zip code.

Posted by: fairfax county = pretentious virginia ()
Date: September 13, 2010 09:07AM

The other day, I overheard some people talking about where they lived. You would have thought they lived in the best, most prosperous area of this Earth. Turns out, they live in Virginia, err... Fairfax County...

Who are they kidding? They now have split the land for Virginia, making this pretentious enclave of homes. Really?

Doesn't seem that well-to-do, to me. As one who has lived in the region my whole life, I find this laughable. Like Maryland, err, Montgomery County...

Too funny!

Posted by: virginia = pretentious US ()
Date: September 13, 2010 09:10AM

The other day, I overheard some people talking about where they lived. You would have thought they lived in the best, most prosperous area of this Galaxy. Turns out, they live in the United States, err... Virginia...

Who are they kidding? They now have split the land for the continent, making this pretentious enclave of homes. Really?

Doesn't seem that well-to-do, to me. As one who has lived in the region my whole life, I find this laughable. Like Canada, err, Ontario...

Too funny!

Posted by: NegativeDreamStealer ()
Date: September 13, 2010 09:56AM

Let's not forget "East Bethesda" *cough* Silver Spring *cough*

...or Falls Church, also known in Realtor-speak as "McLean/Falls Church."

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: September 13, 2010 10:55AM

OP lives on Alabama st, above the bodega.

Date: September 13, 2010 10:59AM

496 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> OP lives on Alabama st, above the bodega.

Not sure where Alabama st is located, or the bodega however, I live in one of the areas of Fairfax County that is truly worth living in. Read" Not CliftoCentreville, LaureLoton, etc.

Date: September 13, 2010 11:00AM

fairfax county = pretentious virginia Wrote:
> The other day, I overheard some people talking
> about where they lived. You would have thought
> they lived in the best, most prosperous area of
> this Earth. Turns out, they live in Virginia,
> err... Fairfax County...
>
> Who are they kidding? They now have split the land
> for Virginia, making this pretentious enclave of
> homes. Really?
>
> Doesn't seem that well-to-do, to me. As one who
> has lived in the region my whole life, I find this
> laughable. Like Maryland, err, Montgomery
> County...
>
> Too funny!

That is pretty funny!

Posted by: 4Wnvy ()
Date: September 13, 2010 12:07PM

Really? Wrote:
> 496 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > OP lives on Alabama st, above the bodega.
>
>
> Not sure where Alabama st is located, or the
> bodega however, I live in one of the areas of
> Fairfax County that is truly worth living in.
> Read" Not CliftoCentreville, LaureLoton, etc.

Then you obviously don't know the region as well as you claim. There is a huge difference between Alabama Ave (typically the first thought when somebody mentions Herndon) and the rest of Herndon.

Date: September 13, 2010 12:30PM

4Wnvy Wrote:

> Then you obviously don't know the region as well
> as you claim. There is a huge difference between
> Alabama Ave (typically the first thought when
> somebody mentions Herndon) and the rest of
> Herndon.

Having worked in Herndon for many years, I can recall driving there before 7100 and the rest of the development went in. While I do not recall Alabama Ave., specifically, I am pretty sure of the area you describe. Is this why Oak Hill does not want to be associated with Herndon? How pretentious...

Posted by: oak hillbilly ()
Date: September 13, 2010 03:39PM

I never thought of it as anything pretentious but an effort to distinguish itself geographically since it's closer to Reston than Herndon. It never stuck because nobody knew where the hell it is although I still get mail sometimes with oak hill instead of herndon on the address label.

Date: September 14, 2010 12:39AM

oak hillbilly Wrote:
> I never thought of it as anything pretentious but
> an effort to distinguish itself geographically
> since it's closer to Reston than Herndon. It
> never stuck because nobody knew where the hell it
> is although I still get mail sometimes with oak
> hill instead of herndon on the address label.

If your zipcode is 20171, then Oak Hill is just as valid as Herndon. I don't think it's particularly pretentious, unless you think the U.S. Postal Service is also pretentious for plastering "Oak Hill" on the front of its post office.

Posted by: Doesn't Matter ()
Date: September 14, 2010 01:38AM

It's simple really:

Oak Hill = 75% White

Herndon = 99% Spic

Duh.

Posted by: Mark ()
Date: September 17, 2010 06:49PM

The town of Herndon is incorporated. Oak Hill refers to the name of the branch post office and includes all of Zip Code 20171. That's it. It is definitely whiter but has a surprising amount of Asians. It's just suburbia. The only real attraction is Frying Pan Park. It really has nothing to do with Herndon. It's about equidistant between Herndon and Chantilly.

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: September 17, 2010 08:05PM

A family member lives in Oak Hill. For years their address was Herndon, then one day it became Oak Hill. I figured they moved, but noticed the street was the same. It's really no different than those people who live near Lawyers Road/Hunter Mill who have a Vienna address - they're 5 fucking miles from Vienna.

Herndon is alright, as long as you're north and east of Sterling Road. Anything west (Alabama Drive, Herndon Parkway) is sketch.

Posted by: Warhawk Wannabee ()
Date: September 17, 2010 10:56PM

Warhawk Wrote:
> It's really no different
> than those people who live near Lawyers
> Road/Hunter Mill who have a Vienna address -
> they're 5 fucking miles from Vienna.
>

And I am one of those people who lives off of Hunter Mill Rd, but I never really cared about whether or not I had a Vienna address. Of course, that's probably because I grew up in a home with a Falls Church address, even though I lived 5 fucking miles from Falls Church City...

Sounds like someone has a stick up his a$$, Warhawk! If you want to start a campaign to have my address changed to "East Reston" or "South Great Falls" or whatever, I will gladly sign your petition. I would hate to live life feeling that I am in part responsible for a decrease in the value of your landed estate in "Vienna proper"!

Posted by: Herndon resident ()
Date: September 17, 2010 11:45PM

There actually is an Oak Hill, VA; it's near Luray. I hope all the Herndon residents inventing their city name miss half their mail.

I live in this area of Herndon and despise the snotty people who insist on calling it Oak Hill. Just got my kid's preschool roster today. We all live within two miles of the school. I would say it's 60% Oak Hill, 40% Herndon. It's a good way to pick out all the douchebags without a lot of wasted time getting to know them.

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: September 17, 2010 11:47PM

I'm in Reston, and even though half of my neighborhood has Herndon for a mailing address (It's a weird border, the street next to mine is actually not even technically within a town or community), I definitely distance myself from Herndon. Whenever my address was listed as Herndon for some screwed up reason on a bill, or within a phone book listing (Including the recent census), it's always irritated me. I recall my dumb 12th grade English teacher once going on a rant regarding how Reston looked down upon Herndon, like they were lesser than us, and I said they were lol.

I am glad that I went to Herndon HS however, because it was a great time. I was actually more attached to Herndon during my high school years, because 90% of my friends lived over there, and I was always chilling within the town. I grew more accustomed to Herndon in fact, than I was to South Reston (Where I first lived). At the end of the day, though, I am glad to live in Reston, most notably because of the massive vato explosion over in Lil' El Salvador.

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Posted by: Thomas More ()
Date: September 17, 2010 11:54PM

Doesn't "Oak Hill" mean pretentious, self important without any reason to be, arrogant, obnoxious, phony snob in the original Potowmack dialect?

Date: September 17, 2010 11:59PM

-SBS-_ Wrote:
> unless you think the U.S. Postal Service is also pretentious for plastering "Oak
Hill" on the front of its post office.<

You do know that only happened after the twits from South Herndon whined and begged for the Post Office to name the place something other than Herndon.

I seem to recall they even got Frank Wolfe to hold a hearing or block a USPS authorization bill or something to get USPS to make the change.

Pathetic and hilarious at the same time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2010 12:00AM by Thomas More.

Posted by: Stinkfist ()
Date: September 18, 2010 01:10AM

I live in Franklin Farm (Oak Hill area). It is not prestigious. Just a nice place to live IMHO. Nothing flashy like Great Falls or McLean, but solid.

Posted by: Mark ()
Date: September 18, 2010 09:32AM

Oak Hill comes from the OakHill plantation that goes back to the 18th century. Part of it is still there along West Ox Road. There are a fair amount of oaks in Oak Hill, but no hills to speak of so it is something of a misnomer. There is also an Oak Hill Elementary School. Basically the Post Office just asked the community what to name the branch when it went in in the late 1990s. That was the consensus. I think most of us though don't want to be associated with Herndon, so why not say we are from Oak Hill?

Posted by: Humble Servant ()
Date: September 18, 2010 10:16AM

Warhawk Wannabee Wrote:
> Sounds like someone has a stick up his a$$,
> Warhawk! If you want to start a campaign to have
> my address changed to "East Reston" or "South
> Great Falls" or whatever, I will gladly sign your
> petition. I would hate to live life feeling that
> I am in part responsible for a decrease in the
> value of your landed estate in "Vienna proper"!

LOL. I couldn't find too many estates in "Vienna proper," but if only kids there went to Warhawk HS, its test scores would go down a lot and its biggest game every year would be against George Mason.

Date: September 18, 2010 04:51PM

Mark Wrote:
> I think most of us though don't want to be associated with Herndon

Oh, Why?

Because all those poor and minority people in Herndon proper are just too de classe and icky?

Posted by: Whobe ()
Date: September 19, 2010 11:10AM

I thought the post office had everything to do with changing the name of the area?

BFD anyways, are you trying to tell us there is a distinct difference between any part of Herndon, Oak Hill, Reston?

Get the fuck out of here.

Posted by: sterling falls ()
Date: September 19, 2010 12:34PM

Then there is Potomac Falls, which is Sterling. The shithole at the border.

Posted by: tibb ()
Date: September 19, 2010 12:45PM

Herndon resident Wrote:
> There actually is an Oak Hill, VA; it's near
> Luray. I hope all the Herndon residents inventing
> their city name miss half their mail.
>
> I live in this area of Herndon and despise the
> snotty people who insist on calling it Oak Hill.
> Just got my kid's preschool roster today. We all
> live within two miles of the school. I would say
> it's 60% Oak Hill, 40% Herndon. It's a good way to
> pick out all the douchebags without a lot of
> wasted time getting to know them.

This is great! I'm glad someone else around here thinks like this.

Posted by: 60% ()
Date: September 19, 2010 02:15PM

tibb Wrote:
> Herndon resident Wrote:
> -----
> > There actually is an Oak Hill, VA; it's near
> > Luray. I hope all the Herndon residents
> inventing
> > their city name miss half their mail.
> >
> > I live in this area of Herndon and despise the
> > snotty people who insist on calling it Oak
> Hill.
> > Just got my kid's preschool roster today. We
> all
> > live within two miles of the school. I would
> say
> > it's 60% Oak Hill, 40% Herndon. It's a good way
> to
> > pick out all the douchebags without a lot of
> > wasted time getting to know them.
>
> This is great! I'm glad someone else around here
> thinks like this.

We'd rather the 40% of you stay with your douchebag friends here on FU, anyway.

Posted by: Herndon Resident ()
Date: September 19, 2010 06:59PM

I've been living in the Herndon part of Fairfax County since 1984. Oak Hill and Herndon, in the 20171 ZIP code area, are interchangeable. Either one works. In fact, I doubt that you even need to put state and city in an address; the ZIP code says it all. How about just using "Fairfax County" before 20171.

Doesn't bother me much unless I stop getting my mail.

BTW - Part of "Oak Hill" is in the South Lakes attendance zone. Now THERE'S a topic for discussion!

Posted by: Grass is green ()
Date: September 20, 2010 10:07PM

Does it matter? Really?

The ones with the 'complex' are going to find an issue with anything. It is not like 'living on the other side of the tracks'. Oakhill and Herndon are average places. At some point or an imaginary line, I am sure the Reston starts where Herndon ends and the person there would say 'I live in Reston'. I do not think he gives anymore thought than that. What is snooty about the 20170 vs. 20171.

People in Oakhill would get their mailing address from the post ofice which designates it as Oakhill (20171). And so they only know Oakhill. Their high schoolers goes to Chantilly (Westfield) and not to Herndon HS.

Snooty is when one 'Mcleaner' ask another: "where does your son study- McLean High or Langley?" There are ladies who brag about their carriage houses and 6 car garages there. Then we are talking.

End of the day - who cares? Except Mr. Really may be. Get over it dude and just manage to pay the mortgage.

Posted by: Jefferson Davis ()
Date: September 20, 2010 10:18PM

I just ate chipolte and it clogged my butt

Posted by: Forested ()
Date: September 20, 2010 11:09PM

Grass is green Wrote:
>
> Snooty is when one 'Mcleaner' ask another: "where
> does your son study- McLean High or Langley?"
> There are ladies who brag about their carriage
> houses and 6 car garages there. Then we are
> talking.
>
It's not necessarily snooty. If the answer is "Langley," then the McLeaner knows for sure she can put in an order to score some coke with her friend's son.

Date: September 20, 2010 11:33PM

Grass is green Wrote:
>
> Their high schoolers goes to Chantilly (Westfield) and
> not to Herndon HS.
>

They also go to Oakton and South Lakes.

1 zipcode using 4 high schools. Must be some pretty fucked up school boundaries (or zipcode boundaries)

Posted by: Bilbo Baggins ()
Date: May 28, 2012 08:30AM

The issue here is jurisdiction. The town of Herndon is an incorporated town with its own government, mayor, police force, rules, regs, etc. Not every postal address with the name Herndon (including 20171) is within the town boundaries, since Herndon's boundaries are specific and limited. The US post office, however, rather than use appropriate county addresses as designators, has created confusion in Northern VA by applying town-name addresses outside the town if served by a particular town post office. So the whole Oak Hill vs Herndon thing has nothing to do with your idea of snobbery. It has everything to do with a US post office that simply cuts corners.

Posted by: identification ()
Date: May 28, 2012 10:52AM

The issue here is jurisdiction. The town of Herndon is an incorporated town with its own government, mayor, police force, rules, regs, etc. Not every postal address with the name Herndon (including 20171) is within the town boundaries, since Herndon's boundaries are specific and limited. The US post office, however, rather than use appropriate county addresses as designators, has created confusion in Northern VA by applying town-name addresses outside the town if served by a particular town post office. So the whole Oak Hill vs Herndon thing has nothing to do with your idea of snobbery. It has everything to do with a US post office that simply cuts corners

+1

We live closer to Chantilly than Herndon and identify far more in Chantilly than in Herndon. Youth sports is CYA. That's why we use Oak Hill instead of Herndon. It's not snootiness, it is identification. Before the new post office, I would go to Chantilly post office rather than Herndon to mail packages,etc (unless I had to pick up mail.)

Posted by: Atom ()
Date: May 28, 2012 12:21PM

Aren't your complaints over a decade too late.

The OakHill concept was created to increase property value. It worked, end of story.

Posted by: history ()
Date: May 28, 2012 08:56PM

Oak Hill actually does NOT fall under Herndon's jurisdiction. Herndon has borders and has had these set borders for over a century.

The only difference is that people call this area "Oak Hill" instead of "Floris."

Posted by: Pizza ()
Date: May 28, 2012 09:01PM

The other day, I overheard some pizzas talking about where they lived. You would have thought they lived in the best, most pizza area of this Galaxy. Turns out, they live in the Dominoes, err...pizza...

Who are they kidding? They now have split the land for the continent, making this pretentious enclave of pizza. Really?

Doesn't seem that well-to-do, to me. As one who has loved pizza my whole life, I find this laughable. Like pizza.

Posted by: Ahmayzin ()
Date: May 29, 2012 02:50PM

When I don't use deodorant. My arm pits smell, really REALLY bad.

Posted by: herndon ()
Date: May 29, 2012 04:49PM

Herndon sucks dick, everyone knows that. You can raise your children in oak hill without their bike or your headlights being stolen for petty cash. That's the main difference between the two.

you really wanna know the main difference between the two?
Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: May 29, 2012 04:54PM

it's like that old saying - when men fart, it smells like Herndon...........and when women fart, it smells like Oak Hill
LoLz

Posted by: Herndon ()
Date: May 30, 2012 01:13AM

I live in "Oak Hill" and nobody calls it that, and if they do that means they are most likely an elitist douchebag. I have never said I was from Oak Hill ever and I don't associate myself with a ploy to make it sound better to increase property value, it's just scummy. A lot of people here don't even know if they live in Reston or Herndon half the time...

Posted by: negrodamus ()
Date: May 30, 2012 01:24AM

This area is fucked anyway. It will get worse.

Date: May 30, 2012 09:59AM

Humble Servant Wrote:
> Warhawk Wannabee Wrote:
> > Sounds like someone has a stick up his a$$,
> > Warhawk! If you want to start a campaign to
> have
> > my address changed to "East Reston" or "South
> > Great Falls" or whatever, I will gladly sign
> your
> > petition. I would hate to live life feeling
> that
> > I am in part responsible for a decrease in the
> > value of your landed estate in "Vienna proper"!
>
>
> LOL. I couldn't find too many estates in "Vienna
> proper," but if only kids there went to Warhawk
> HS, its test scores would go down a lot and its
> biggest game every year would be against George
> Mason.

If y'all say so. But I know a couple for whom the Vienna zip code was a specific motivator to buy their Reston house. I can't say I've noticed their kids are any smarter than ones who live in the town of Vienna.

Posted by: 20170 Boy ()
Date: June 01, 2012 12:43AM

Here is a serious answer to a silly thread -- so flame away.

I think that it's useful to consider that most people in FFX County do not live in towns. They live in unincorporated parts of the county, which have geographic names that are separate and distinct from the names the USPO assigns to postal districts. The USPO doesn't get to name towns or geographic areas in states. They name their own postal districts.

There is both a federal and state (commonwealth) board of geographic names, both of which assign names to areas on maps. I know that Potomac Falls originally wanted to be called Cascades, VA, but was turned down by one or more of these bodies due to the fact that such an area is already defined somewhere else in VA.

Is Herndon the same as Oak Hill? Not geographically...and it is certainly not located in the incorporated town limits of Herndon. Is it served by the Herndon post office? Most definitely. In fact, Oak Hill is just an alternate name for that portion of the postal district. Its primary name is still Herndon. Is the name "Oak Hill" useful? Well, I think so. If someone tells me that they live in Oak Hill, it vastly narrows the geographic area that I envision. I don't picture streets paved with gold, but at least I have a better idea of where they live...and no, I don't assume that they are being pretentious.

Me? I live on Reston Avenue...in one of the oldest sections of Reston. I live several hundred feet away from Reston Parkway...and about a mile from the North Point Shopping Center. The geographic area is clearly North Reston, yet all of Reston Avenue, including Fire Station 439, the North Point Station (yeah, North Point) is in 20170 - Herndon.

The reasoning that the postal district gave to our community is that the Reston PO is small and overloaded and the Herndon PO is much larger and covers a far broader area. In fact, I have a 9 mile commute to work...and I both live (20170) and work (20171) in the Herndon postal district. That is how large the district is. In fact, parts of it are actually north of Route 7, in what one would normally classify as Great Falls. BTW, the Great Falls PO isn't really even a PO. It's a rural route, but I digress.

Does that mean that I live in Herndon? Well, I definitely live in the Herndon postal district, but if someone is looking for directions to my home or wants a general idea of where I live, I say North Reston. It's not out of some since of shame or desire to social climb. It's because saying North Reston conveys to folk familiar with the area a pretty good idea of where I live. If I said Herndon, their first thought would probably be in the area of Jimmy's Tavern, which is 5 miles away.

Schools? Almost all of North Reston attends Herndon High School, while many of the homes on Reston Avenue attend Langley HS. Yes, Langely.

I suppose the real issue is why the fuck do you care if someone states that they live in Oak Hill?

Date: June 01, 2012 12:49AM

BTW, I dropped a couple of typos in there to feed the trolls. Go wild.

And for those who doubt that much of Reston Avenue is in the Langley School Pyramid, here you go:

http://www.homesdatabase.com/homes-for-sale/VA/HERNDON/20170/1158-RESTON-AVE-73324098

Posted by: Except.. ()
Date: June 01, 2012 01:15PM

20170 Boy Wrote:
>
> Is Herndon the same as Oak Hill? Not
> geographically...and it is certainly not located
> in the incorporated town limits of Herndon. Is it
> served by the Herndon post office? Most
> definitely. In fact, Oak Hill is just an
> alternate name for that portion of the postal
> district.

This part is misleading. Oak Hill (20171) is in fact hserved by its own Post Office, located near the corner of Centreville Rd. and McLaren Rd.

Posted by: WestfieldDad ()
Date: June 01, 2012 03:13PM

Except.. Wrote:
>
>
> This part is misleading. Oak Hill (20171) is in
> fact hserved by its own Post Office, located near
> the corner of Centreville Rd. and McLaren Rd.

Angels dancing on pinheads, or is it pinheads dancing on angels, but ...

Oak Hill Branch is *not* a Post Office. It's a Branch of the Herndon Post Office. Post Offices have a Postmaster. Branches (and Stations) are subsidiary to Post Offices and do not have Postmasters.

From the glossary of the USPS "About Us"
http://about.usps.com/who-we-are/postal-history/stations-branches.pdf -

Branch - A postal unit administered by a Post Office. Beginning in May 1908 it referred specifically to units located outside of city limits, although that distinction does not always hold true today. (See "Station.")

Post Office - A facility which provides postal services to a community and is headed by a Postmaster.

Station - A postal unit administered by a Post Office. Beginning in May 1908 it referred specifically to units located inside city limits, although that distinction does not always hold true today. (See "Branch.")

Date: June 06, 2012 12:46AM

WestfieldDad Wrote:
> Except.. Wrote:
> -----
> >
> >
> > This part is misleading. Oak Hill (20171) is
> in
> > fact hserved by its own Post Office, located
> near
> > the corner of Centreville Rd. and McLaren Rd.
>
>
> Angels dancing on pinheads, or is it pinheads
> dancing on angels, but ...
>
> Oak Hill Branch is *not* a Post Office. It's a
> Branch of the Herndon Post Office. Post Offices
> have a Postmaster. Branches (and Stations) are
> subsidiary to Post Offices and do not have
> Postmasters.
>
> From the glossary of the USPS "About Us"
> http://about.usps.com/who-we-are/postal-history/st
> ations-branches.pdf -
>
> Branch - A postal unit administered by a Post
> Office. Beginning in May 1908 it referred
> specifically to units located outside of city
> limits, although that distinction does not always
> hold true today. (See "Station.")
>
> Post Office - A facility which provides postal
> services to a community and is headed by a
> Postmaster.
>
> Station - A postal unit administered by a Post
> Office. Beginning in May 1908 it referred
> specifically to units located inside city limits,
> although that distinction does not always hold
> true today. (See "Branch.")

Correct...just like the Potomac Falls "post office" in the Cascades section of Sterling is actually just a branch of the main Sterling PO (located in Sterling Park). The name "Potomac Falls" is an alternate name recognized by the USPO for that zip code in the STERLING postal district.

So yes, I stand by my original statement -- Oak Hill is just an alternate name for that portion of the Herndon postal district.

Either way, I still believe that the name "Oak Hill" serves a purpose...other than pretention.

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: June 06, 2012 07:11AM

it's still fucked up. Floris should be the name of "Oak Hill"

the fucker was there first, y'know........................

Posted by: 2concerned ()
Date: June 06, 2012 12:56PM

Date: June 06, 2012 11:15PM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> it's still fucked up. Floris should be the name
> of "Oak Hill"
>
> the fucker was there first,
> y'know........................

Actually, Oak Hill is an historical name in this area of Fairfax - it's not just the name for Oak Hill ES in Chantilly Highlands.

Oak Hill was the name of the first farm in the general area -

http://oakhillva.com/facts-about-oak-hill/

Floris really was/is located near the current Floris ES.

Date: June 09, 2012 07:09PM

Went to mail a letter today. Sign next to the door as you go in says -

Oak Hill Branch
Herndon, VA

Posted by: 2 True ()
Date: September 30, 2013 10:48PM

That's exactly the reason...
Truth hurts, but life goes on...

Posted by: Oak Herndon ()
Date: October 01, 2013 07:10AM

I know a guy who says he lives in Oak Hill. He is a total douchebag so it makes sense. I think a lot of people overpaid for large new homes during the bubble and now don't want to admit they paid out the ass to live in Guadala-herndon so they make this shit up like anyone believes them. The newer side of town by clock tower and sunrise valley is now mostly people from India who are forcing people out of the apartments there.

Also regarding Sterling and Herndon- has nobody told these people that everywhere else in the country the shittiest areas are in the flight path of major airports? Just sayin'

Posted by: LetsRock ()
Date: October 01, 2013 11:00AM

I remember reading where some people were going to sue the county because their homes in Reston were being rezoned to be in Herndon. They claimed it would depress the value of their homes.

Posted by: lolwtf7 ()
Date: October 01, 2013 11:08AM

There's only a small number of people that say Oak Hill instead of Herndon. Then it's probably quite a minority of them that actually associate some sort of prestige with "Oak Hill." The pretentiousness or higher class attitude being referenced on here with respect to "Oak Hill" is pretty much non-existent. I can only imagine what kind of absolute shit place you would live in if you have this view. To actually have this sentiment and write about it on here, you must be fairly low down on the NOVA food chain. It says a lot about you without even realizing it, which is actually pretty comical and depressing.

The Town of Herndon (20170) is general referred to as "Herndon." It's the part of Herndon that has a very high hispanic population, was home to the "official" day labor site, and has the 7-11 and other areas with day laborers standing outside of them at all hours. It's also the part of Herndon that has people dropping trash everywhere, running into traffic without looking, and riding bikes (without helmets) fairly carelessly.

Herndon, VA (20171) .. as in not the town of Herndon.. is quite different and largely does not share in these problems or issues. The property values in this area are inarguable higher and the area is without dispute nicer. No one claims this area is a utopia or high society though.. well except weirdos on here. They are serviced by the Oak Hill post office. Some people use Oak Hill as a way to distinguish themselves from the Town of Herndon, which is not horrible by any means.. but is not as nice as Herndon (the city). If you were a separate area and there's national news about day laborer sites, MS-13, and other shit.. you would want to find a way to distance yourself too. Makes sense to me.

The pretentiousness is non-existent though.

Posted by: tarvus ()
Date: October 01, 2013 02:16PM

OP - The Oak Hill Branch was built in the late 90s, so you're over 10 years late with this fucking moronic point you're trying to make. Nobody touts Oak Hill as a model community unless you compare it to the fucking awful Town of Herndon. No shit people wanted to separate themselves, is it not obvious enough??

Town of Herndon - MS-13, shitty retail, even shittier real estate, day-laborers, transient population

Herndon, VA - houses starting at $500k (some valued 2x that) and a population of legal citizens

Posted by: lolwtf9 ()
Date: October 01, 2013 03:49PM

^^^^^

it's like we're saying the same thing

Posted by: Blugummybear ()
Date: April 28, 2014 10:20AM

Just moved from California and I'm new to the area..I live in the 20171 zip code which our property manager said was herndon, when I went to the herndon community center and try to join they said I wasn't a herndon resident I had to pay the non resident price which was quite pricey. When I showed the community center people my new drivers license which says herndon, she said yeah but herndon and the town of herndon are not the same thing your still not a resident. Can some one kindly explain? I thought I was a resident of herndon. Thanks

Posted by: exffx ()
Date: April 28, 2014 10:57AM

There's a Town of Herndon with a Herndon address and then there's the rest of Herndon which is just Fairfax County with a Herndon address.

If you already have, who do you send your auto property tax bill to? Fairfax county or the town of Herndon?

Posted by: Blugummybear ()
Date: April 28, 2014 11:10AM

I haven't received an auto property bill yet since I just purchased a car a couple of months ago. I see what your saying I guess I'm in the herndon zip code, but not in the town of herndon. They should make it all the town of herndon less confusing.

Posted by: reality ()
Date: April 28, 2014 11:56AM

Lots of people in "Herndon" send their kids to Westfield, Chantilly, or South Lakes. It is very confusing to explain that you live in Herndon, but kids don't go to Herndon High. That's another reason people use Oak Hill. Try explaining that your kids go to a Chantilly area high school, but you live in Herndon. Much easier to just say you live in Oak Hill.

Posted by: snowdenscold ()
Date: April 28, 2014 03:08PM

Gotta love this area:

Fairfax, VA - both the city itself, and area of county near city.
City provides all it's own services and taxation except contracting its school facilities out to be administered by the county

Herndon, VA - both the town itself, and the area of county near town.
Town provides some services, county runs schools (which has students from both)

Vienna, VA - both the town itself, and the area of county near town.
Town provides some services, county runs schools (which has students from both)

Falls Church, VA - both the city itself and the area of county near city.
City is completely independent from the County and share nothing

Clifton, VA - both the town itself, and the area of county near town.
Not really what the town actually provides, if anything

Alexandria, VA - both the city itself and the area of county near city.
City is completely independent from the County and share nothing

Education confusion:
Fairfax High School - owned by FFX City, city and county students attend, operated as part of FCPS
Falls Church High School - not associated w/ the City of Falls Church at all
George Mason High School - owned and operated by City of Falls Church solely for FC residents
George Mason University - just south of Fairfax City; completely unrelated to GM HS

Got it all??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2014 04:28PM by snowdenscold.

Posted by: exffx ()
Date: April 28, 2014 03:19PM

I grew up in Alexandria, VA, but in Fairfax County. Not Alexandria City. So I'm used to this confusion.

When I used to live in Herndon I would get property tax bills from both the city of Herndon and Fairfax county. They couldn't get their shit together either.

Every year I had to go down to Fairfax County and explain to them I live within the Herndon city limits.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2014 03:21PM by exffx.

Posted by: Oak Hill ()
Date: July 15, 2015 04:24AM

A lot of people in Virginia want to say they live in Oak Hill - there are at least 6 Oak Hills in Virginia - one in each of the following Virginia counties: Agusta, Fairfax, Grayson, Henrico, Page, and Pittsylvania. Better be sure to address mail to Oak Hill with its identifying ZIP Code.

Posted by: an Oak Hill resident ()
Date: July 15, 2015 11:14AM

reality Wrote:
> Lots of people in "Herndon" send their kids to
> Westfield, Chantilly, or South Lakes. It is very
> confusing to explain that you live in Herndon, but
> kids don't go to Herndon High. That's another
> reason people use Oak Hill. Try explaining that
> your kids go to a Chantilly area high school, but
> you live in Herndon. Much easier to just say you
> live in Oak Hill.

This!
Especially when you live closer to 50 than to the DTR.

Posted by: Brick Vitale ()
Date: July 15, 2015 12:00PM

Infill developments are where it's at, baby. That's where all the PTPers live. They drive in to work, boss people around, and come home to their big screen TVs.

Posted by: Sigbin ()
Date: July 20, 2015 12:51PM

This is really interesting. I just moved in the area not too long ago using the 20171 Herndon address. I found that I am closer to Reston or Chantilly than in Herndon proper. In fact, I would need to drive through Reston or Chantilly to get to Herndon. Even my co-worker who's from Chantilly knows the area as Oak Hill rather than Herndon.

Posted by: Undecided ()
Date: July 20, 2015 02:05PM

I live in 20171 and am torn. On the one hand it IS pretentious to say Oak Hill. On the other hand I am closer to Chantilly than Herndon. And Herndon does have a rep as a shithole. Not that Chantilly is anything special. Shit, what a dilemma.

Posted by: post office ()
Date: July 20, 2015 03:03PM

The 20171 post office says "Oak Hill" on the building. What is pretentious about using the name of your post office?

Posted by: Greybeard ()
Date: July 20, 2015 07:32PM

post office Wrote:
> The 20171 post office says "Oak Hill" on the
> building. What is pretentious about using the name
> of your post office?

Nothing, except that that's relatively new. It's *both*: the town is Herndon, the PO is called Oak Hill. But to some extent, it's like if you live in ZIP code 10017 and say you live in "Grand Central, New York". Most people would say no, you live in Manhattan, or New York City (another blurry distinction).

Posted by: have you been there? ()
Date: July 20, 2015 07:38PM

Greybeard Wrote:
> post office Wrote:
> -----
> > The 20171 post office says "Oak Hill" on the
> > building. What is pretentious about using the
> name
> > of your post office?
>
> Nothing, except that that's relatively new. It's
> *both*: the town is Herndon, the PO is called Oak
> Hill. But to some extent, it's like if you live in
> ZIP code 10017 and say you live in "Grand Central,
> New York". Most people would say no, you live in
> Manhattan, or New York City (another blurry
> distinction).

You obviously are not familiar with the area. For one thing, it is on the other side of the DTR from Herndon. That is a pretty big divider. For another, it stretches from Chantilly to Oakton to Reston. It probably shares less of a boundary with Herndon than those other areas.

Date: July 20, 2015 07:52PM

have you been there? Wrote:
> You obviously are not familiar with the area. For
> one thing, it is on the other side of the DTR from
> Herndon. That is a pretty big divider. For
> another, it stretches from Chantilly to Oakton to
> Reston. It probably shares less of a boundary
> with Herndon than those other areas.

Au contraire, I've lived there for 25 years. "Herndon" has a dual identity: there's the *town* of Herndon, and there's the part of Fairfax County known as Herndon. Oak Hill/20171 is in the latter. How much of its boundary it shares with some other area has nothing to do with anything; why woud you think it does?

Posted by: stupid question ()
Date: July 20, 2015 08:51PM

Greybeard Wrote:
> have you been there? Wrote:
> -----
> > You obviously are not familiar with the area.
> For
> > one thing, it is on the other side of the DTR
> from
> > Herndon. That is a pretty big divider. For
> > another, it stretches from Chantilly to Oakton
> to
> > Reston. It probably shares less of a boundary
> > with Herndon than those other areas.
>
> Au contraire, I've lived there for 25 years.
> "Herndon" has a dual identity: there's the *town*
> of Herndon, and there's the part of Fairfax County
> known as Herndon. Oak Hill/20171 is in the latter.
> How much of its boundary it shares with some other
> area has nothing to do with anything; why woud you
> think it does?

Because when your kids go to a high school that is called Chantilly, it feels stupid to say you live in Herndon. Of course, Chantilly is technically in Fairfax.

Date: July 20, 2015 10:11PM

stupid question Wrote:
> Because when your kids go to a high school that is
> called Chantilly, it feels stupid to say you live
> in Herndon. Of course, Chantilly is technically
> in Fairfax.

Really? So if your kids go to a high school call Robinson, it feels stupid to say you live in Fairfax? The only reasonable name for a school is the same as the town it's in, and its district ends at the town line? That seems a bit...weird.

Not to mention that lots of kids go to Oakton who don't live in Oakton, to Fairfax who don't live in Fairfax, to Herndon who don't live in Herndon...

...methinks your argument is porous.

Date: July 20, 2015 10:34PM

post office Wrote:
> The 20171 post office says "Oak Hill" on the
> building. What is pretentious about using the name
> of your post office?

Scroll up...

The Postal Service building on Mclearen whence the Postal Service services 20171 is not a Post Office, it's the Oak Hill Branch of the Herndon Post Office.

That said, "Oak Hill" or "Floris" or "Herndon south of the Toll Road" provides a finer designation of where I live than "Herndon" since I don't live in the Town of Herndon and the Herndon Post Office covers both 20170 and 20171.

Of course, if I'm out of town, I live in "Dulles Flight Path" or NOVA (not ROVA) or DC.

Date: July 20, 2015 10:50PM

WestfieldDad Wrote:
> The Postal Service building on Mclearen whence the
> Postal Service services 20171 is not a Post
> Office, it's the Oak Hill Branch of the Herndon
> Post Office.
>
> That said, "Oak Hill" or "Floris" or "Herndon
> south of the Toll Road" provides a finer
> designation of where I live than "Herndon" since I
> don't live in the Town of Herndon and the Herndon
> Post Office covers both 20170 and 20171.
>
> Of course, if I'm out of town, I live in "Dulles
> Flight Path" or NOVA (not ROVA) or DC.

Yeah, it's always interesting how the granularity of where you live varies with the audience. My favorite is always being somewhere far away and doing the opposite dance:
"Where do you live?"
"Washington, D.C. area."
"Where?"
"Northern Virginia."
"Where?"

"What subdivision?"

"My parents live there." (or "I grew up in the next subdivision", or equivalent)

Posted by: Oak Hill resident ()
Date: July 21, 2015 03:25AM

This is a stupid thread.

We call it Oak Hill, VA because about 15 years ago the U.S. Post Office sent mail to every home telling us to use Oak Hill, VA as our address for all homes within the 20171 zip code boundary. That is a zero on the pretentious scale.

Posted by: lmao@nova ()
Date: July 21, 2015 12:46PM

lmao, this entire conversation is fucking hilarious

reston, oak hill, herndon, chantilly, oakton, ashburn, centreville

Seriously, who gives a fuck, you guys realize you live in the richest counties in america right? You guys realize you live in the shadow of DC, the most powerful city in the world right?

You guys get that you're arguing about absolutely nohting right?

I went to Oak Hill Elementary / Langston Hughes / Herndon High (for 1 year before I transferred to prep school).

All the kids are the same mixture. Millionaires, section 8's, white people, black people, latino. Literally the same mixture in every school I was in. Nobody fucking cared about what part of reston/herndon/wherever you're from. Only morons would even care about that shit now.

The FFX I grew up in couldn't fucking care less about this kind of nonsense. Is this seriously the shit people think about now? How is it this white frat boy couldn't fucking care about town disnctions but somehow you guys do?

Some of you need to move somewhere else for a while and move back to realize how absurdley wealthy all of NOVA is and how different it is as a region from the entire rest of the country and you will see how hilariously absurd this entire thread is.

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: July 21, 2015 01:01PM

North Potomac..... slap a fancy name on it and charge 50 to 100gs more

Date: July 21, 2015 08:36PM

Oak Hill resident Wrote:
> This is a stupid thread.
>
> We call it Oak Hill, VA because about 15 years ago
> the U.S. Post Office sent mail to every home
> telling us to use Oak Hill, VA as our address for
> all homes within the 20171 zip code boundary.
> That is a zero on the pretentious scale.

We did? Don't think so. I think we got one saying to use 20171 as our ZIP code, and that that's the Oak Hill Post Office. We're still in Herndon as the primary address:
https://tools.usps.com/go/ZipLookupResultsAction!input.action?resultMode=2&companyName=&address1=&address2=&city=&state=Select&urbanCode=&postalCode=20171&zip=

Posted by: resident Oak Hill ()
Date: July 21, 2015 08:49PM

Pretty sure the post office let us vote on what to call the area. There were several nominees: Floris was one of them. Oak Hill is the name of an old estate on West Ox Rd. and there is an elementary school with that name. I forget what the other nominees were. Might have been Frying Pan.

We were told we could use Herndon or Oak Hill. However, the post office doesn't say Herndon branch, it says "Oak Hill". That is a lot clearer to describe the area than Herndon.

But, if you think that Herndon describes you better, then fine. I got tired of explaining that we didn't live in the Town of Herndon anytime someone asked. It certainly does not describe where I live.

Posted by: Nice Guy Eddie ()
Date: July 21, 2015 10:41PM

I don’t live in either area so I don’t have a dog in that fight; however, I work near there and the area south of the toll road is night and day from the area north the toll road. South is suburbia, fairly open and easy to get around but not a lot going on when it comes to shopping or dining. North is a congested shit show with traffic lights every 20 feet. There is plenty of shopping centers and restaurants but the parking sucks and the lines are a disaster.

Posted by: Just Shaking My Head.... ()
Date: January 16, 2017 06:40PM

I grew up in Prince Georges County, Maryland, and I think ALL of you are pretentious. So what you're saying is that you're insecure you have to associate with Herndon, so you rebrand your community to Oak Hill? Or is it that you're jealous you that you don't actually live in Oakhill? Grow up people, this is bourgeois NoVA.....not South East DC. There are so many other more important things to nit pick and argue about. Hold tight to your materialism folks....that appears to be your most important value!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.