HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Good place to buy microbrewed beer?
Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: July 14, 2007 11:09PM

I was looking at the top 100 US beers on beer advocate http://beeradvocate.com/top_beers?c_id=US&style= and I don't think I've seen any of these beers anywhere (Three Floyds brewery for example...apparently makes good beer. I've never heard of them). Is there a place in the county, preferably near Centreville/Chantilly that has a good selection of microbrews?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Good place to buy microbrewed beer?
Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: July 15, 2007 12:10AM

Great topic.

I hate to promote a corporate chain, but the Total Wine in McLean has an impressive stock of domestic microbrews. They sell a bunch of them in single bottles, and they are usually pretty current. I think I've seen Three Floyds there, but don't take my word on that. They have a great selection of imports too. I mix and match my own sixes there quite often; pricey but well worth the money.

Also, Norm's in Vienna carries a nice inventory of microbrews, but it's alot smaller place. The big benefit is that staff at Norm's are experts on beer and are [usually] enthusiatic to help you find what you want.

I'm not familiar with C-ville/Chantilly, but if I recall correctly, there is a Total Wine store out on 50 somewhere. YMMV though.

Posted by: ffxn8v ()
Date: July 15, 2007 12:32AM

TheMeeper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > I'm not familiar with C-ville/Chantilly, but if I
> recall correctly, there is a Total Wine store out
> on 50 somewhere. YMMV though.

Total Wine (Used to be called Total Beverage, is BEHIND the Greenbriar shopping center.

Is it Plaza Ln. that runs down there? Anways, it it the light between Stringfellow Rd. and Greenbriar Shopping ctr.

Posted by: TMU ()
Date: July 15, 2007 08:40AM

Norm's in Vienna. There is no substitute. A GREAT selection of micros.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: July 15, 2007 06:02PM

Wha bout old dominion brewing in Ashburn?

Posted by: pamstwin ()
Date: July 15, 2007 08:29PM

Whole Foods Grocers and Total Beverage have an awesome selection of mircrobrews.
Pam

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: July 15, 2007 10:27PM

Whole Foods Grocers

Whole Foods does carry a nice selection, the one in Idylwood always has alot of fresh sixers from Clipper City Brewing. Trader Joe's is also another chain that carries a decent selection of microbrews.

Posted by: Internets ()
Date: July 16, 2007 01:37AM

I know the guy who buys beer for the Idylwood Whole Foods; he's cool and knows his beer. Loom for the periodic tasting events held in the store.

Posted by: gesoffen ()
Date: July 16, 2007 08:10AM

Unfortunately, a lot of the beers on that list you won't find in our area. A lot of microbrews (Dominion included) don't distribute the beers beyond a certain distance from the brewery since beer does have a shelf life. Dominion doesn't have any recognition outside the MD/DC/VA/WVA/PA area so it'll sit on shelves longer. Combine that with the longer distribution times, and the brewer could be eating the cost of more spoiled beer.

Posted by: Bloom ()
Date: July 16, 2007 11:29PM

Bloom does the mix-match 6 pack as well. They have some alright ones there. You can get a differnt country in each bottle

Posted by: brewdude ()
Date: July 21, 2007 08:02AM

There is the Shenandoah Brewery in Alexandria http://www.shenandoahbrewing.com/ Their Mountain Beast is awsome. If you like to experiment they can help you whip up your own batch.
Attachments:
beerbottles.jpg

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.