HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Need a Professional Mechanic for a 350 swap
Posted by: Chevy ()
Date: July 11, 2007 10:42PM

Whats up, long story short I got an l98 350 small block tpi from mid 80's chevy that blew a head gasket, leaking antifreeze in the oil ect ect, the motor is seized. I got a "new" replacement motor from another car like mine. The motor is complete , even includes exhaust manifolds that are still attached. What I am desperately looking for is a mechanic who is knowledgeable in 350 swaps and one that knows a thing or two about TPI set ups. If you know a good mechanic, please let me know. I would do a swap myself but I live in an apartment and the last time I checked they fraun open public parking being covered with oil....... This could a potentially easy swap for a good mechanic, just didnt come across one yet and I have gone to at least 20 by now. I checked Sykes in Springfield but he got a horrible reputation......Please anyone who knows a good one let me know, much appreciated

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need a Professional Mechanic for a 350 swap
Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: July 12, 2007 11:35AM

Chevy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Whats up, long story short I got an l98 350 small
> block tpi from mid 80's chevy that blew a head
> gasket, leaking antifreeze in the oil ect ect, the
> motor is seized.

20+ year old car? it's time to let go and get a new[er] one. drop 5K and you can get a pretty good car that will last 10 years.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: ricerseatdick ()
Date: July 12, 2007 01:16PM

What are trying to swap the 350 TPI into and do you have the original ECU that came with the motor (assuming out of an 80's Camaro Z-28 ?) Also what tranny will be used in the new car ?

Date: July 12, 2007 05:53PM

The car is my project car, I have a daily car that is an 06, love it. The car is infact a z-28. ECU and the dead motor is still in the car untouched. The ECU will stay put. I want to replace the dead motor with exact same used motor from another camaro. The car has a brand new 700r4 automatic and 3.73 posi end with disk brakes. The new motor is in the back of my truck that is just another 350 with tpi, accesories and exhaust manifolds installed. I just need a good mechanic that knows and done work on these motors before...... The car has very low miles which I think has thrown off the compression that lead to bad gasket . I have reasonable reasons to belives that the previous owner abused the car. The body, interior and the original paint job is PERFECT. I have replaced the tranny, all new brake system and the suspension have been upgraded. I got a clean rebuild motor from another camaro but like I said I need a good mechanic , so please help if you know someone. Thanks to all

Posted by: ffxn8v ()
Date: July 13, 2007 01:44PM

Chevy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The car is my project car, I have a daily car that
> is an 06, love it. The car is infact a z-28. ECU
> and the dead motor is still in the car untouched.
> The ECU will stay put. I want to replace the dead
> motor with exact same used motor from another
> camaro. The car has a brand new 700r4 automatic
> and 3.73 posi end with disk brakes. The new motor
> is in the back of my truck that is just another
> 350 with tpi, accesories and exhaust manifolds
> installed. I just need a good mechanic that knows
> and done work on these motors before...... The car
> has very low miles which I think has thrown off
> the compression that lead to bad gasket . I have
> reasonable reasons to belives that the previous
> owner abused the car. The body, interior and the
> original paint job is PERFECT. I have replaced the
> tranny, all new brake system and the suspension
> have been upgraded. I got a clean rebuild motor
> from another camaro but like I said I need a good
> mechanic , so please help if you know someone.
> Thanks to all

So the car is a Camaro Z28 (an early electronic carb one?) and you want to swap a TPI into it?

In all honesty, it sounds like you need someone familar with the swaps vs. the engine builder/expert you posted about finding.

Anyways, there are a couple people I know of - but none are cheap. In fact, it would be cheaper to just sell the car you have and get a TPI IROC Z, as they can be had for cheap these days.

Posted by: ricerseatdick ()
Date: July 13, 2007 06:13PM

I believe the original would have been a TPI set up if I remember correctly. If you want this job done right there is one particular shop I highly recommend, eb3 auto I believe they are in fairfax or chantilly. Also Whiteys automotive is a less expensive shop but eb3 is the best. They will do the swap and do it right, hell if I had a 350 already out I'd drop a nice mild lopey cam in there as well and some decent cheap long tube headers. Any chance you might be willing to sell the camaro ?

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: July 13, 2007 08:13PM

why not just buy a wench, build a rig for it and drop in the motor yourself? if it's a project car, this would be a good learning experience. considering it's not one of the new computer optimized engine layouts that they have now, it should be much easier to mount and connect.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: ricerseatshit ()
Date: July 13, 2007 11:36PM

Thats a good idea but you should take into consideration how capable you are with that kind of job at hand. If it was a carb'd set up with out many vacuum hoses, BS emissions crap, and wiring I would lend a hand myself. Unfortunately this may not be the easiest job especially if the connectors, hoses, wires, etc.. were not properly marked before removal. I would really give EB3 Auto a call those guys are top notch. If you want to do it yourself or have a semi handy buddy help you out join a nice camaro forum and they have tons of useful info on this kind of job. Good luck man.

Posted by: Dirty Jersey ()
Date: July 14, 2007 09:47PM

K & E in Springfield. Had my 30+ year old engine pulled, completely taken apart, cleaned up, and modified some there and they did a great job, plus stand behind their work. Loni the mechanic there is a great guy, we take all our cars there and never had a problem. Wanted to do it ourselves but with garage soo full of crap dont have any room.

Date: July 14, 2007 10:34PM

Yea I would love to do it myself but like I have mentioned I live in an appartment complex so that wouldnt really work.......I was thinking about selling the car but its kind of difficult since it has a blown gasket and would need to be trailered. The car has a lot of work done. If you think about it its a 21 year old car but it has all new parts that are less then a year old. I swapped gears, tranny, upgraded suspension and added a new brake system. The car even has a tv/dvd player. A lot of money has been put in the car and if I was to sell it I would have to let it go for next to nothing and if I wanted to get it back on the road....well thats another couple of thousands of dollars. Not to mention I still have 4 more years of emissions due on the car before I can get vintage tags so that means I would pretty much have to go with the stock exhaust manifold and put on a new cat since the old one is pretty much gutted. I would love to put some big headers on the car since the only way to put them one is to yank the whole motor out and obviously no better time then now but once again.....damn emissions. If anyone is very serious about buying this car I would consider it and would like to speak to you but as of right now I am heading towards swapping the motor..... Thanks for all of your responses & I would love to hear more

Date: July 17, 2007 08:56PM

Thanks to all that helped. I got a new 305 high output tuned port injection motor. My mechanic is Buddy at Burke Midas, I have known the guy for years but didnt know he would do the job. Gave him a call to get a few numbers of people that will do the swap and he offered to do the job himself. Awesome guy and crew he got there. I had work done there before and couldnt be happier. I am sure it will run top notch. Once again thanks for everyones help.

Posted by: Dirty Jersey ()
Date: July 18, 2007 07:11PM

Yep, Burke Auto Service Experts as their now known are one of the better shops around. Bought it from Midas company so they keep more of the profits they deserve

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.