HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
DMV unable to process new drivers licenses for the next few days-server crash
Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: August 29, 2010 10:29AM

Dont go to the DMV this coming week. Expect even more lines than normal. Wednesday of last week, a big server crashed and the state is just now getting it back online. So for the past 3 days, no drivers licenses have been processed. Thus, everyone who needed one last week will now be going this week to get one. Of course you should not expect the DMV staff to tell you why you have to wait so long.

For IT-inclined people:
A SAN, with servers from EMC, and its backup, crashed. It is located near Richmond in the state's computer center which is run by Northrop Grumman. No information what caused it yet. DMV cannot save any pictures it takes, Dept. of taxation cannot access its records, Welfare checks cannot be sent out, and ABC stores are having some problem.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/government/state-local/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=227100694

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2010/aug/27/9/vita27-ar-475161/

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: DMV unable to process new drivers licenses for the next few days-server crash
Posted by: conVince ()
Date: August 29, 2010 11:04AM

Mark Warner threw money at Northrop Grumman as the single source of all things IT in the state. We continue to pay the price for what that demokrat did to us here. Other areas of the state, academia, and industry experts warned him how absolutely dumb the move was. McDonnell is doing his best to deal with these horrendous moves, but his hands are tied by the ironklad kontrakts awarded Northrop Grumman by the Virginia demokrats.

"Northrop Grumman also has a sizeable stake in Virginia's IT department; in 2005, the IT services firmed signed a $2.3 billion contract with VITA to look after communications and computer services, a move that was deemed as risky and has been criticized by state officials. "

------------------------------------

twitter @EyeAmU

Re: DMV unable to process new drivers licenses for the next few days-server crash
Posted by: takemymoney ()
Date: August 29, 2010 12:01PM

I have to pay estimated federal and Virginia tax 4 times a year online. I tried to pay a few days ago and the VA tax website says that they are having long-term technical problems and can't accept payments - and they won't penalize late payments because of the problem.

I wonder if the problem is related...

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: August 30, 2010 05:01AM

Twenty-six of more than 80 state agencies were hit by the shutdown, including the office of Gov. Bob McDonnell.

file.php?2,file=3517

IT administrators have fixed the storage area network that failed Wednesday, affecting online services and network operations of more than 20 state agencies.
[...]
The outage happened when an EMC storage area network (SAN) and its redundancy failed on Wednesday afternoon, according to the Virginia Information Technologies Agency (VITA). When this occurred, 228 servers attached to the network -- which host shared applications and software used statewide -- could not access data.

what are the chances of two SANs failing simultaneously? yeah, zero. methinks an upgrade went awry and brilliant as they are, they did both at once then blamed the hardware when it failed. why isnt there a second site for this shit? if the building when down in flames it would be a long time before they could get the system back up. total amateur hour.

file.php?2,file=16531
"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2010 05:30AM by Gravis.

Posted by: 804 ()
Date: August 30, 2010 11:09AM

I went on the 16th and the servers were down and they told me they couldn't process anything license related. I can't believe they are still having problems with this stuff. And of course when I went they gave me an attitude and acted like I was an asshole for even going to the DMV.

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: August 30, 2010 11:31AM

Damn Linux servers!

Posted by: More Complete ()
Date: August 30, 2010 04:25PM

They should have had DR for this stuff. Is it fixed yet?

Posted by: say ()
Date: August 30, 2010 10:06PM

Wait a minute, I thought contracting stuff like this out was the way to go? The private sector always does a better job than government workers, isn't that right?

Shit, I worked for the state of va for 32 years (not IT), and while far from flawless, the computer system never shit itself like this when IT was handled by state employees.

I hope Northrop Grumman's war shit works better than this.

Posted by: Teh King ()
Date: August 30, 2010 10:53PM

EMC sucks. I bet they are using Centera.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2010 10:56PM by Teh King.

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: August 31, 2010 10:24AM

say Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Shit, I worked for the state of va for 32 years
> (not IT), and while far from flawless, the
> computer system never shit itself like this when
> IT was handled by state employees.

It was also nowhere near as complicated. Now it may be NG got the contract and is cycling junior people through for training purposes, dunno. As for contractors being better or not, if you are a competent tech you are likely to eventually go for the bigger money you can make in the private sector as a contractor. Everyone hires duds, but to stay employed as a tech you need to keep fuckups to a minimum.

Posted by: piggygodie ()
Date: August 31, 2010 10:43AM

This was all set up by VA so that they can have their little contest within their piggy stations and pull over as many ppl as possible to give them tickets so they can go have a gay orgy with each other.

Posted by: Troll@AOL ()
Date: August 31, 2010 10:59AM

Server crashed due to an overload of illegal licenses
being issued to illegal immigrant Mexicans.

==================================================================================
"Why don't you LOSERS just pack your flower print DOUCHE BAGS
and get your stoopid @$$#$ THE FUCK OFF MY INTERNETZ!"

- 'philscamms' (the YT Watchdog) ; internet & YouTube® extraordinaire.

Posted by: Kardinal ()
Date: August 31, 2010 02:19PM

Teh King Wrote:
> EMC sucks. I bet they are using Centera.

DMX-3 storage array.

Posted by: Kardinal ()
Date: August 31, 2010 02:20PM

Gravis Wrote:
> what are the chances of two SANs failing
> simultaneously? yeah, zero.

Not zero. It's not high, but it's not zero. The problem is that if you don't USE and TEST the backup hardware, there could have been a problem with it from the beginning you never ran into.

This is why you do DR simulations. No idea if they did or not.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.