HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Need Help with an Attorney
Posted by: mw451 ()
Date: July 08, 2007 05:20PM

I am currently going thru a divorce, and my wife's BF lives with her. This is very disturbing to my child, my daugther, who is 15 years old.

My atty won't file charges specified in our PSA that states basically that neither spouse may have a non-blood relative stay overnight, yet my wife's BF lives there now.

I have brought this up with both atty's, and the Magistrate, who told me to go to Chil Protective Services and they will place her in Foster-Care since she is 15 and does not want to live with me.

Neither atty is enforcing the PSA.

What do I do?

I can't afford to shell out $$$ after $$$ to resolve this.

Any advice would be welcomed.

mw

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need Help with an Attorney
Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: July 08, 2007 06:01PM

First, your attorney works for you. If he wont do what needs to be done, it is because
a) He/She believes it is Not in your best interest (this needs to be explained to you in a clear and concise manner).
b) There is no legal basis or the burden of proof is "complicated"
c) The mother really is not doing anything wrong, according to the papers.

If I felt an attorney was not working in my best interest, I would first put something in writing to the attorney saying "She is violating the terms and conditions, I have proof, I need to discuss options".

I would also go to the Bar Association and speak to another attorney ($35 initial consultation fee or something like that). What is probably happening is
a)there is something very relevant you are not saying, or
b) you simply do not understand what your attorney is saying. Do not worry, it happens all the time. Maybe having something explained by a different person will clear things up for you.

Take this advice or leave it. I really do not care. I will give you one bit of advice you should really follow: Be a little skeptical of anything written on this board. Some people have been known to dish out bad advice and some have been known to spread mis-information. Shocking, but true.

I lied. I have a second bit of advice: keep Gravis away from the teenager.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: July 08, 2007 07:10PM

If the daughter would rather live there with the ex's BF staying than live with you, something tells me the situation isn't bad enough that she's in any real distress. Ripping the daughter out of the house and putting her in foster care would be extremely disruptive for her. She only has a few years left until she's 18 and can go wherever she wants. Take the money you would have spent on lawyers and put it away for college or something.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2007 07:11PM by pgens.

Posted by: hang over ()
Date: July 08, 2007 07:59PM

There isn't much you can do esp with her being almost an adult. I would just make sure the daughter is not in any danger with this guy hanging around.
Above all, and I rarely see this advice followed, do not badmouth the mom in front of the daughter. She already knows or will soon know what is going on if it is that bad. Don't make some lawyers rich.

Put the money saved aside for her to go to college or help her get a start in life.

Good luck, I know it sucks now but most kids are smart enough to see the truth although it can take a few years.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.