HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Beware of Speed Trap on Rt. 29
Posted by: terrysb ()
Date: July 07, 2007 11:02PM

Fairfax County Cops have been operating a speed trap in both directions on Rt. 29 in
Fairfax around the intersection with West Ox Road/FFX County Pkwy and Rt. 29. They are hiding their cars off the road on the gravel and are set back well off the road.

The operation seems to start around 7PM and continues well into the night. They are using a combination of Lidar and K-band radar. This is the first time I've seen K-band being used in FFX county. Usually, the cops use the usual Ka-band equipment. They might have a special unit rigged up using a narrow beamwidth because I didn't get any strong signal detection until I was practically on top of his position. Beware - the speed limit is 45 mph in this area and it is easy to be doing 65 unknowingly. That's the big RD if they want to issue it. Given the new law be very careful around this area at all times of the day.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Beware of Speed Trap on Rt. 29
Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: July 08, 2007 12:56AM

They're there all the time. Especially in the morning on weekdays...using Lidar on the east bound traffic. They frequently hide behind the wall for the exit off of the Parkway onto 29 east. I'd say I see them there 4 of the 5 workday mornings...and has been that way for at least two months.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: July 08, 2007 12:57AM

Yeah, they run speed there because the speed limit is too low and people fly 75 in a 45 there all the time.

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: July 08, 2007 12:58AM

BTW..if you do get a ticket there...ask for the traffic engineering study. Something tells me they never did one, and it would be 55mph. VA DOT would have to have done the study.

Posted by: . ()
Date: July 08, 2007 01:45AM

terrysb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fairfax County Cops have been operating a speed
> trap in both directions on Rt. 29 in
> Fairfax around the intersection with West Ox
> Road/FFX County Pkwy and Rt. 29. They are hiding
> their cars off the road on the gravel and are set
> back well off the road.
>
> The operation seems to start around 7PM and
> continues well into the night. They are using a
> combination of Lidar and K-band radar. This is
> the first time I've seen K-band being used in FFX
> county. Usually, the cops use the usual Ka-band
> equipment. They might have a special unit rigged
> up using a narrow beamwidth because I didn't get
> any strong signal detection until I was
> practically on top of his position. Beware - the
> speed limit is 45 mph in this area and it is easy
> to be doing 65 unknowingly. That's the big RD if
> they want to issue it. Given the new law be very
> careful around this area at all times of the day.

And you know which radar bands they are using due to your illegal radar detector terry?

Posted by: Dave Albo ()
Date: July 08, 2007 03:05AM

Call 1-800-NO-FINES

My fee is WAY more than the fine....but I'll make that nasty po-po SQUIRM for you!

Easy payment plan available and my receptionists are HOT, HOT, HOT!

See ya'll soon,

Dave

Posted by: stinkypoon ()
Date: July 08, 2007 10:24AM

It's a logical spot for them to run speed traps. It's a long and wide stretch of road where half the people go 30 mph and the other half go 80. Personally I'd rather see the cops pull someone over for going too slow since that's a more ignored safety hazard.

Posted by: slimey ()
Date: July 08, 2007 11:32AM

The new laws/fines in my opinion are way overboard, but who am I to complain? They
wouldnt listed to me anyway. I believe the speed traps will be all over and in operation 24/7 now that the fines are a cash cow. Best shot is...Dont speed in the
first place! Sometimes its easy to forget where you are, like on the FFX/Cnty/Pkw
when there's very light traffic, but "going with the flow" will not be a valid excuse in court. They will get your money. Got a radar detector? Katching!$$$$

Posted by: ffxn8v ()
Date: July 08, 2007 11:41AM

slimey Wrote:
> The new laws/fines in my opinion are way
> overboard, but who am I to complain? They
> wouldnt listed to me anyway. I believe the speed
> traps will be all over and in operation 24/7 now
> that the fines are a cash cow. Best shot is...Dont
> speed in the
> first place! Sometimes its easy to forget where
> you are, like on the FFX/Cnty/Pkw
> when there's very light traffic, but "going with
> the flow" will not be a valid excuse in court.
> They will get your money. Got a radar detector?
> Katching!$$$$

24/7? Possibly.

Yesterday, I saw five cruisers parked on Burke Lake Rd., with officers operating a laser effort. Never before had I seen this location in use except during the day, Mon.-Fri.

Radar detectors will not help with this and even if it detects laser, it would more than likely just serve as an alert that you are about to be pinched.

Posted by: terrysb ()
Date: July 08, 2007 03:33PM

You bet I'll use an "illegal" radar detector now. The risk of getting caught speeding outweighs the risk of a ticket for an illegal radar detector. Aside from that the chances of being pulled over for just having a radar detector are close to 0.

Posted by: hang over ()
Date: July 08, 2007 04:32PM

Since the civil penalty was passed I have seen a marked increase in FFX running radar. Maybe just concidence or maybe pressure from delegates and county supervisors to make that money. Crime can take a back seat when there is money to be had.

BTW in a perfect world after July 1, suppose everyone starts obeying the traffic laws. Won't that kill the expectations of the state to rake in all that money.

Posted by: Janz ()
Date: July 08, 2007 07:19PM

Two speedtraps that I have discovered are Burke Lake Road (eastbound) and Signal Hill Road, and Guinea Road (eastbound going downhill), and Olley Lane.

Hope this helps! :)

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: July 08, 2007 09:13PM

talk about increased speed traps/enforcement. I saw three (3) spped traps today, one at 28/29, one at 28/50 and one in front of the fair oaks police station. Damn!

Posted by: stinkypoon ()
Date: July 08, 2007 09:23PM

terrysb has a good point. I might have to dig out my old radar detector or buy a new one. I stopped using the "illegal" detector because it gave me a false sense of security, but now that the ante is upped, maybe it's an appropriate precautionary step. I can't believe for all the money that comes from this area that they're fucking us with these additional penalties. What, didn't they prosper enough in the last five years from property taxes? The rest of this shit state sits on the shoulder of northern virginia, and I'm sick of paying for the education of genetically fucked people like Skelton's future children.

Posted by: Dave Albo ()
Date: July 08, 2007 09:40PM

I truly do suck. Ask anyone who knows me and they will agree.
I suck cock too.

Posted by: ya ()
Date: July 09, 2007 12:03AM

Dave Albo Wrote:
> I truly do suck. Ask anyone who knows me and they
> will agree.
> I suck cock too.

Watcher, is that you posting under Dave? You little sneaky fruit you...

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.