HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
WTF Happened in Vienna?
Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: July 04, 2007 10:57PM

I was at the Vienna fireworks display. Nice show at the begining but I did notice a few duds - fireworks that did not explode.

At the end, all hell broke loose. Fireworks were going everywhere and even into the crowd. On the blacktop where I was at at least one went into the crowd and exploded within feet of me. I looked over to see what was going on where they were launching the fireworks and and it seemed that all the pots were out of control - going off haphazardly and shooting fireworks in all directions. It was obvious something went wrong.

The cops came through the blacktop area waving flashlights and yelling. People were really concerned because something went wrong.

We started to leave and heard people talking about three people who were hit. I heard several people talk about a child who hit in the arm and very bloody.

Ambulances and firetrucks came and a helicopter was circling overhead for the longest time.

I listened to WTOP news on the way home and they had nothing on it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WTF Happened in Vienna?
Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: July 04, 2007 11:15PM

got it: fireworks which did not detonate were being moved and they exploded, shooting into the crowd. at least 3 were injured, including one that was medevaced by the heli landing on the field.

Posted by: Tempting ()
Date: July 05, 2007 12:09AM

Is that the same thing that happened on the mall tonight? News said fireworks exploded 15 minutes after the show.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: July 05, 2007 01:31AM

similar i think.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: July 05, 2007 04:04AM

THey mentioned something about this on Fox 5 news last night but I didn't catch the whole story, I only heard that people got hurt by fireworks at the the show in Vienna.

Posted by: pmn ()
Date: July 05, 2007 06:46AM

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: July 05, 2007 08:24AM

Posted by: Ndirish775 ()
Date: July 05, 2007 08:41AM

I was at the vienna fireworks and i saw everything... My friends and i were watching the end going on and we noticed that the fireworks were blowing up right at the launch and one of them shot into a crowd about twenty feet away from us... we started to walk away when my friends and i started to hear screaming so we waited till eventually a helicopter came and all the ambulance... the ironic thing is that there is a fire station like not more then a football field away of where this went down

Posted by: Tia2 ()
Date: July 05, 2007 10:15AM

You know, the same thing happened at Flint Hill Elementary...

Coincidence?

Maybe Bin Laden is making fire works now...

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: July 05, 2007 04:22PM

state run fireworks and audience members got burned? if i were them, i would totally sue for negligence... or whatever is more suiting.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: July 05, 2007 04:50PM

Stays in Vienna

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: July 05, 2007 04:57PM

The news reported that this company was running the fireworks show - http://www.schaeferfireworks.com/

It says they have $10 million in liability insurance.

NBC4 has actual video of the whole thing. (It's not posted yet on their site yet)

Apparently Shaefer Fireworks had problems at 4 shows in Fairfax. They have a 5 year contract with Vienna that runs out after 2008.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2007 05:07PM by Lurker..

Posted by: hmmm ()
Date: July 05, 2007 05:12PM

Maybe the fire marshalls who run around taking bottle rockets from kids should pay more attention to these type of events. Those type can kill and maim.

Posted by: Tempting ()
Date: July 05, 2007 05:32PM

ferfux Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Stays in Vienna

BTW, does anyone have a good place to set off fireworks perhaps aquired in another state? It's a buy one get one free world!

Date: July 06, 2007 01:22AM

Oh look! More crap from China causing death and injury...

Posted by: Lester Burnham ()
Date: July 06, 2007 09:15AM

Date: July 06, 2007 12:48PM

Wilson said the Schaefer employees were uncomfortable using any more of the Chinese fireworks. Wilson and city officials decided to call off the rest of the show.

China has screwed us again!

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Date: July 06, 2007 01:07PM

What a convient excuse, "bad case of fireworks from China." Wonder how many times fireworks people use that one.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: July 06, 2007 01:31PM

China is an easy target lately. Can you blame people for pointing to them whenever one of the ten quadrillion products we import from them goes haywire and causes a disaster?

Posted by: :burpgun: ()
Date: July 06, 2007 03:21PM

Can't blame them at all...

Particularly with high-profile examples like exploding mobile phones; using dog fur for parka linings while labling it synthetic; children's pajamas labled fire-retardant that go-up like gas rags; dog food that kills Fido (all the better to harvest his fur for parka linings); tires unsafe at any speed; children's toys filled with kerosene; and now it seems uncontrolable explosives.

I believe almost half of all recalled products in the U.S last year came from China, as did almost all of this year's recalled toys.

A google news search of 'safety standards china' or 'recall china' may indicate the latest attempt at sarcasm by RESton Peace is off-target, much like a Chinese firework. (Of course that's before editing...)

Date: July 06, 2007 03:58PM

hello? the misfiring fireworks were known to be from China therefore China has screwed us. non-functioning OR malfunctioning product = screwed. even if it's one of the ten quadrillion products we import everyday, we have been screwed.

im glad i could clarify that for you.

Posted by: ink ()
Date: July 06, 2007 04:13PM

:burpgun: Wrote:
> Can't blame them at all...
>
> Particularly with high-profile examples like
> exploding mobile phones; using dog fur for parka
> linings while labling it synthetic; children's
> pajamas labled fire-retardant that go-up like gas
> rags; dog food that kills Fido (all the better to
> harvest his fur for parka linings); tires unsafe
> at any speed; children's toys filled with
> kerosene; and now it seems uncontrolable
> explosives.
>
> You forgot poisoned toothpaste!

Date: July 06, 2007 04:34PM

I also wonder, a little, if something like that wasn't done on purpose. Of course the person would of needed to know the shells were going to the US.

But hey, what better way then to sabotage some 4th fireworks. They know there will be crowds of people nearby and it's the perfect time to slap the US in the face.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2007 04:35PM by Lurker..

Date: July 06, 2007 05:16PM

Lurker. Wrote:
> I also wonder, a little, if something like that
> wasn't done on purpose.

while the word is overused as of late, if a person(s) did indeed do that on purpose, that qualifies that(those) person(s) as terrorist(s).

Posted by: inkahootz ()
Date: July 06, 2007 05:24PM

It's a conspiracy I tell you!!!!!

Posted by: duh ()
Date: July 06, 2007 06:18PM

Where was it reported that these were Chinese fireworks?

Zambelli Fireworks of Pennsylvania claims to be "one of the largest firework manufacturers in the world".

There are probably other US manufacturers...

And it may have the pyrotechnicians that fucked up and caused it...

Date: July 06, 2007 09:56PM

"Where was it reported that these were Chinese fireworks? "

In the first paragraph of the Washington Post story.....

"Identical boxes of commercial fireworks made in China malfunctioned at six Fourth of July displays in Northern Virginia, including an accident in Vienna in which a misdirected shell injured 11 people, two seriously, officials said yesterday."

Date: July 06, 2007 10:04PM

Wow...this crap was happening all over the place on the 4th.... That makes at least (4) major accidents at professional fireworks shows.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=04b_1183695312 (Ft Stewart 3 people hurt)

http://www.tampabays10.com/news/local/article.aspx?storyid=58394 (St. Petersburg Fl. 12 people injured)

Posted by: duh ()
Date: July 06, 2007 10:39PM

trogdor! Wrote:
> "Where was it reported that these were Chinese
> fireworks? "
>
> In the first paragraph of the Washington Post
> story.....
>
> "Identical boxes of commercial fireworks made in
> China malfunctioned at six Fourth of July displays
> in Northern Virginia, including an accident in
> Vienna in which a misdirected shell injured 11
> people, two seriously, officials said yesterday."

Oh, okay....missed that. LOL

But an account I read quoted a fire marshal saying that 25 rounds "accidentally lit off at once, tipping one over and sending it into the crowd". It could have been an error by a company that has regular mishaps...including 3 others that night in FFx Co alone.

Posted by: pig ()
Date: July 08, 2007 08:56PM

Key word in alot of these incidents being "misdirected" meaning human error right ? Sometimes I wish we could have the roman candles, bottle rockets, and mortors lit off in the privacy of driveways of individuals who can take a quick and easy common sense qualification with those types of fireworks and every other slack jawed knuckle dragging idiot who doesn't know how to responsibly handle those types of fireworks get nothing but fountains and sparklers.

Date: July 09, 2007 04:09PM

hmm... how does one become certified to use such level of fireworks?

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: July 09, 2007 05:50PM

You need proof that you can operate a lighter and the ability to lift 50 pounds.

Gravis Wrote:
> hmm... how does one become certified to use such
> level of fireworks?

Posted by: pig ()
Date: July 09, 2007 07:35PM

You should be able to demonstrate the ability to use the fireworks safely.

Posted by: dudeman ()
Date: July 10, 2007 02:06AM

it happend in like 3 other states to all the fireworks came from the same over seas country

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.