HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Standby Generators - Powering Fairfax when there is no power
Posted by: JohnCFlood ()
Date: August 18, 2010 02:52PM

Just a few years ago, the thought of owning an emergency standby generator seemed like an unnecessary waste of a considerable amount of money for the minimal amount of time you will be without power.

These days powerful and vicious storms have been pelting the country, some areas worse than others and this of course has been causing more and more areas to lose power, and often for longer periods of time. This makes for troublesome and potentially dangerous circumstances for homeowners and their family's.

Many homeowners simply cannot afford to ride out another power outage. For one, it can be uncomfortable depending on the time of the year, as well as dangerous for those with chronic illnesses, elderly, and small children. Add onto that potential financial losses, especially those on fixed budgets with families due to possible food loss, etc.

Now families are starting to fight back by installing residential standby generators in record numbers to protect their families and investments.

The idea of a Standby Generator, or backup generator is simple. Standby generators are permanently installed outside and operate just like a central air conditioner with two notable differences.

1. They have engines rather than an electric motor.
Air conditioners run off electric motors, which obviously won't work during an outage. Home standby generators have engines instead.

These systems can be connected via your natural gas line or liquid propane tank and will generate electricity as long as fuel is supplied.

2. Automatic Transfer Switches
Instead of using a thermostat, standby generators use an automatic transfer switch to monitor your utility power.

When it goes out, the automatic transfer switch turns on the generator - whether you're home or not - and automatically shuts it off when power is restored.

Unlike portable generators, home standby generators operate automatically with no human intervention.

Selecting a standby generator requires some thought, a little calculation and depending on your budget some possible sacrifices on what can and will get power.

The first step in picking a residential standby generator really depends on whether you want to power your whole house, just certain circuits, or something in between.

One of the biggest misconceptions about home standby generators is that they restore power to the whole house.

The term "whole house" really depends on the size of your house, which as we all know can vary significantly as will the costs too.

Whole house generators are the ideal solution because they power they power the entire house and for comfort and convenience, but of course, are quite expensive.

The whole point of a whole house generator is to replace utility power during an outage.

Whole house generators feature automobile-like, liquid-cooled engines that run cooler and last longer than their air-cooled counterparts.

Whole house residential generators come in a variety of sizes depending on make, model and kilowatts (kilowatts can range from 7kw – 60kw). You could determine your size based on the amount of electricity your home consumes, your needs but it is advised you consult with a professional technician.

The majority of newer homes in the United States are built with 200-amp electrical service. So simply put your house will not utilize more than 200-amp and in reality, your home will never really use every amp of electricity.

On hot summer days your central air conditioner consumes a very large portion of your total amp-age. At night, most homes use considerably less, but this of course will depend on where you live and your climate.

If you absolutely, positively want to replace every, single amp, you’ll need a 48-kilowatt whole house system, which generates all 200-amps of electricity necessary.

In most cases, however, you can significantly reduce the cost by choosing a smaller model, which could still power your entire home.

The vast majority of homes use 120/240-volt, single-phase electricity. Three-phase electricity is designed for commercial applications, such as restaurants and banks.

So, if you are considering a standby generator do a little research to ensure you get the right model and size that will work for your situation and budget. There are plenty of resources available on the web for research and if you're in the metro dc/northern virginia area give us a call at John C Flood, or visit us on the web at www.johncflood.com. We would be happy to assist you with determining the best solution for you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Standby Generators - Powering Fairfax when there is no power
Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: August 18, 2010 02:56PM

Fuck off spamming ass.

Date: August 18, 2010 02:57PM

ohn c flood Complaints - rip offs con artists shady
Review all john c flood complaints
john c flood
Posted: 2009-09-25 by adamnumberoneseller

rip offs con artists shady
Complaint Rating: 100 % with 2 votes
Company information:
John C Flood

this company is a cut throat, rip off con artist company to work for they charge hourly and take there time doing the work. they also have a 2nd book that is a flat rate book that they use at there own convince.they do free house inspections that they try to find work to do and charge so much money when they can. they make commission at the end of the month the employees get as a bonus for making money. they have a tool charge that they enforce when they even use a power tool!!! call a real company not a company that has supposedly started bt selling cocaine...i worked there. i know first hand how they are
[Complaint comments] Comments [Complaint country] United States [Complaint category] Contractors
Share with others: Digg it! Del.ici.ous Yahoo My Web Share on Twitter Facebook My Web
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments
Sort by: Date | Rating
302 days ago by Zodiah 0 Votes

John C Flood is overpriced. I used John C. Flood to repair my heating system. They charged me $159 for service. The repairman was at my house for less than 30 minutes...20 minutes to be exact. They charged me $136 for an part which cost $30. DO NOTuse. I would recommend Magnolia Plumbing over John C. Flood. At least Magnolia Plumbling has polite and courteous customer service

BTW, we wont even mention the fact that the repairman was three hours late.
167 days ago by EducatedConsumerisBestCustomer 0 Votes

John C. Flood advertises in the Yellow Pages that they will give free estimates. As we have a toilet that is running and some appliances that simply needed to be disengaged so that they could be removed by a scrap metal company. We wanted to simply get a price quote.

However, the plumber that came out quoted that there would be a $159 diagnosis fee and also the estimates for repairing the toilet ranged from $329 to $479 ($329 for simply repairing it and $479 for getting a new one and installing it). Disengaging a stove, garbage disposal, and dishwasher was to cost $289. I decided these prices were too high for the amount of time it would take to do the work (disengaging appliances is about 2 on a scale of 10). I called the main office to inquire why there would be a $159 "diagnostic fee" when they advertise free estimates plainly in the Yellow Pages (without any fine print outlining any limitations). I was told that free estimates are only when customers are inquiring about NEW equipment and NOT on repairs of OLD equipment. Then that is classic BAIT AND SWITCH. It BAITS the customer to have them come out but SWITCHES the policy by placing a previously-unknown and unmentioned limitation on the free estimate.

I know the company needs to make money and sending a technician out on a call takes up the technician's time and the truck's gas but it is one of the costs of doing business. A service business is in the business of providing service and if the consumer chooses NOT to use their service, the consumer should not be penalized by paying a hefty and unreasonable "diagnostic fee". It seems the company takes the view that any caller asking for someone to come out to their location has the company taking the stance that they are going to get at least $159.

Since I argued it, the company realized they had no legal leg to stand on to enforce the $159 fee and it was not paid. Further, I will make sure that others are aware of this tactic used by this firm.

All it takes for them is to change the ad in the Yellow Pages so that there is a limitation quote on Free Estimates to indicate it is only on NEW equipment installations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2010 02:58PM by ITRADE.

Date: August 18, 2010 02:59PM

BBB Reliability Report for
John C Flood Of Virginia Inc.

This is not a BBB accredited business.

BBB Rating

C- * Ratings Explanation...

Complaints Concerned:
Service Issues (4 complaints)
3 Resolved
1 Unresolved
Credit or Billing Disputes (1 complaints)
1 Unresolved
Refund Practices (1 complaints)
1 Unresolved
Repair Issues (4 complaints)
2 Resolved
2 Unresolved

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2010 02:59PM by ITRADE.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: August 18, 2010 10:27PM

ITRADE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> BBB Reliability Report for
> John C Flood Of Virginia Inc.
>
> This is not a BBB accredited business.
>
> BBB Rating
>
> C-

file.php?2,file=693
"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: Chris ()
Date: August 19, 2010 01:19PM

Are we all sure we are referring to the correct John C Flood? I have used them in the past and they have been very good. I learned though there are two John C Floods operating in the VA/MD/DC areas. www.johncflood.com is the one I used and was very good, but heard complaints problems with this JCF www.johncfloodinc.com. Regardless I guess the one I used was quite pleasant and provided very good service.

Posted by: robonscanner1 ()
Date: August 19, 2010 01:27PM

spam whore.

Cary, WTF!

Posted by: formerhick76 ()
Date: August 19, 2010 01:46PM

johncflood.com is John C. Flood of VA
johncfloodinc.com is John C. Flood of DC

So there are two different John C. Floods, not sure if the Great Ripoff Artist owns them both, wouldn't be surprised. :P

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: August 19, 2010 02:18PM

i've done some researching and none of the phone numbers or locations match. however, both domains are registered though different third party registrants. i cannot find who owns either one, so it's possibly the same person.

my conclusion is that they separate business entities.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: August 19, 2010 02:36PM

`

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2015 11:00AM by WingNut.

Posted by: formerhick76 ()
Date: August 24, 2010 09:20AM

WingNut Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The advice is good, but buying a gen from JCF is
> ill advised.

I figure my 1,000th post here ought to be a positive one. So I agree fully with what WingNut (with whom I rarely agree on other issues) said up there.

Posted by: DanielLee5 ()
Date: April 15, 2021 03:58AM

I don't mind using additional generators, why not. Moreover, I am planning to purchased some in the closest future. At the moment I am using services of Reliant Energy and the quality of services is pretty good + reliant energy seem to be left by real clients.

Posted by: Jony ()
Date: July 11, 2022 07:07AM

I have a lot of electronics and devices at home that are connected to electricity.

As for your problem with standby generators and powering the Fairfax when there is no electricity, I can say that the generator has become one of the most essential household appliances for homeowners. It supplies us with energy during emergencies, so you need to know in any case how to behave with the generator to make it safe, and you can find https://www.quiethome.life/make-a-generator-safe-for-electronics/ here is information that may help you.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.