HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Heavy fines Jail time VA for parents allowing teenagers to drink
Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: July 04, 2007 12:45PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Heavy fines Jail time VA for parents allowing teenagers to drink
Posted by: TRICKIE ()
Date: July 04, 2007 01:07PM

I read that. I also feel kinda bad for the couple in Prince William Co. who are currently serving the 27 month sentence. Thety took all the car keys and no one left. They figured the kids were going to drink anyway. Their son even offered to do the time instead of the mom. Neither parent ever had a record.

Trickie

s
Posted by: inkahootz ()
Date: July 04, 2007 01:09PM

s

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2010 10:59PM by inkahootz.

Date: July 04, 2007 01:18PM

That may be a statute on the records but in both cases written about in the papers, the kids drinking were not all the children of the parents arrested. You cannot serve alcohol to a minor even if the minor is in your home and you are the host. That is why they were fined or arrested.

Trickie

Date: July 04, 2007 01:38PM

I meant the individual kid's parent. If all the parents of said kids were at the party, nobody would have been charged.

Posted by: pig ()
Date: July 04, 2007 05:53PM

Old enough to die for your country, old enough to drink. Legal age should be 17 (enlisted at 17).

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: July 05, 2007 02:21PM

inkahootz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This article say that in Va. minors can drink in
> the presence of their parents. Doesn't that
> refute/contradict the whole underage consumption
> of alcohol charge??
> Shouldn't it therefore be amended to under age
> consumption of alcohol w/ out a parent present?

Yeah, that's a little strange that parents can give their underage kids alcohol and it's perfectly legal.

Posted by: Lester Burnham ()
Date: July 05, 2007 03:29PM

The law was changed last year to make it legal to serve alcohol to your own children at home, but there is still a distinction between giving your teenager a beer and child endangerment.

I would really like to see people stop using the argument about being able to drive a car or fight in a war as being a valid reason for allowing 18 year olds to drink. While I don't think that an occasional beer or glass of wine is going to cause little Johnny to suffer irreparable brain damage, the reality is that teenagers tend to drink to excess whether they are at a 'parent-supervised' party or just hanging out. European countries have long had a very different approach to alcohol which generally creates a more sensible view of consumption. However, I believe that simply changing the law in the US without serious education and cultural support would lead to a lot more problems including an increased incidence of younger teens (13-17) joining the fun.

I am not a clinical researcher, but I think that there is enough evidence to prove that excessive alcohol consumption by minors is a very bad thing. Alcohol is a neurotoxin and prolonged exposure to "safe" levels can have negative effects, especially on a developing adolescent.

As the parent of responsible teenagers 16 and 19 I am confident that given the choice they would make good choices with regard to alcohol if the drinking age was changed to 18. My oldest daughter is in college and knows her limits and, frankly, is too engaged in other activities to waste her time (and money) getting wasted on a Saturday night.

Posted by: Party ()
Date: July 05, 2007 04:05PM

I call bullshit on your daughter, if shes in college, and away from home, she at least drinks once in a while.

Date: July 05, 2007 04:38PM

Party Wrote:
> I call bullshit on your daughter, if shes in
> college, and away from home, she at least drinks
> once in a while.

I didn't say that she NEVER drinks, just that she knows her limits (which is about two beers). She hates big crowds, so she stays away from frat parties. She spends a lot of time leading rock climbing, kayaking and caving trips which do not go well with being trashed.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: July 06, 2007 01:45AM

pig Wrote:
> Old enough to die for your country, old enough to
> drink. Legal age should be 17 (enlisted at 17).

this is something i agree with... almost. i would say you should be able to do anything that any other age adult can do when you turn 18. when you turn 18, you are an "adult" according to the law... but they dont trust you because you are just a kid... oh wait...

Lester Burnham Wrote:
> I would really like to see people stop using the
> argument about being able to drive a car or fight
> in a war as being a valid reason for allowing 18
> year olds to drink.

the argument isnt being "able" to fight in a war, it's about being drafted into war.

Lester Burnham Wrote:
> I didn't say that she NEVER drinks

you better get your stupid bitch daughter locked up for breaking the law! she's a CRIMINAL! stop being an unfit parent!

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2007 01:54AM by Gravis.

Posted by: Ralph, Lester's daughters boyfriend ()
Date: July 06, 2007 01:51AM

Lester Burnham Wrote:
> Party Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I call bullshit on your daughter, if shes in
> > college, and away from home, she at least
> drinks
> > once in a while.
>
>
> I didn't say that she NEVER drinks, just that she
> knows her limits (which is about two beers). She
> hates big crowds, so she stays away from frat
> parties. She spends a lot of time leading rock
> climbing, kayaking and caving trips which do not
> go well with being trashed.

WRONG AGAIN LESTER, shes not only doing all those activities, but shes doing it with a bottle of hooch in her backpack! Shse taking shots off of people and goes to party just like the other sluts in college. Your girl is a total slutty alcoholic. ITs college right?!?! Shes hiding it from you. Not to mention the pot.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: July 06, 2007 02:05AM

Hey lester, is your daughter hot? Post a pic.

Date: July 06, 2007 08:37AM

RESton Peace Wrote:
> Hey lester, is your daughter hot? Post a pic.

Boy, that didn't take too long. Believe what you want, but every teenage girl is not the drunk slut that you wound up marrying.

Hot? She looks a lot like Ellen Pompeo from Grey's Anatomy...your call. Oh, and she could probably kick your ass.

Date: July 06, 2007 08:45AM

Lester, I can't believe you took that question seriously.

However, if your daughter really looks like the woman below, I would three-hole that bitch.
Attachments:
20021216_zzh_w38_320.jpg

Date: July 06, 2007 09:10AM

RESton Peace Wrote:
> Lester, I can't believe you took that question
> seriously.
>
> However, if your daughter really looks like the
> woman below, I would three-hole that bitch.

I picked the wrong Grey's Anatomy actress...I meant Katherine Heigl

Date: July 06, 2007 09:26AM

Heigl is even better.... I would still give your daughter extensive dental work.

Date: July 06, 2007 11:45AM

Dear Lester,

I believe you about your daughter. Not all college kids are drunks and promiscuous. You seem like such a nice dad so I am glad you and your kids have a good relationship. When my friend and I went hiking in the George Washinton National Forest, we met all kinds of nice college kids mostly from JMU. They were on the trails and they gave us advice on great views, kayaking, restaurants, etc. Not all college kids are trolling the bars and using drugs.

Hugs,
trickie

Date: July 06, 2007 11:54AM

Oh I love that Katherine heigl. I saw her in the Ringer. I really want to see Knocked Up. She is my favorite intern on grey's Anatomy. It was a shocker to find out that hse had a baby as a teen growing up in a trailer park. (Her part in the show, not real life) She should have married George instead of letting him marry that fat doctor.

Trickie

Posted by: Herpes ()
Date: July 06, 2007 01:13PM

I boned lester's daughter and the biotch gave me herpes!

Posted by: Ronald ()
Date: July 06, 2007 01:14PM

If that's true then we all have herpes, because we've all had a ride on the Leston Daughter.

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: July 06, 2007 08:24PM

Lester Burnham Wrote:
> As the parent of responsible teenagers 16 and 19 I
> am confident that given the choice they would make
> good choices with regard to alcohol if the
> drinking age was changed to 18. My oldest
> daughter is in college and knows her limits and,
> frankly, is too engaged in other activities to
> waste her time (and money) getting wasted on a
> Saturday night.

My wife and I love to watch Law and Order. We both laugh at one highly predictable and often happening event.

A young girl, teenager or in her early 20s, is murdered. Mom and Dad are talking to the police. The first question the police ask is "did she have a boyfriend". The answer that always comes from at least one of the shocked parents is "oh no, not my daughter. She is way to busy with her schoolwork, violin lessons, volunteering at the home for old nuns, her job, her hobbies etc. She did not have enough time for a boyfriend!"

At the end of the show, it turns out the daughter was a crack addicted, dominatrix , stripper, prostitute who ran a gambling ring on the side.

A couple years ago, a Montgomery County public school had a meeting and invited all the parents to attend. The school had child psychologists, doctors and police on hand and discussed what they had heard (and the police saw) was happening at teenage parties - hint: it was contests involving tongue and zippers and beer. The news had several outraged parents comment that NOT MY DAUGHTER - SHE IS A HONOR STUDENT! The parent's went on to say they were outraged that the school would even bring up such a subject because their daughters (and sons) were way too busy for that type of thing.

One of the idiots on WMAL radio sends his child to MCPS. He commented recently about the schools curriculum to teach sex education to some of the sweethearts in the county (with parental permission). His daughter, he claimed, went to him "in tears" and said that she wanted to learn about sex from "you daddy" not the school. (no bad thoughts here)

And that whole issue of vaccinating teenagers for HPV. OH NO, that would give them the go ahead to have sex. The HPV vaccination may save their lives, but OH DEAR NO!!!

Some kids do very bad things. But I can tell you for a fact, that all kids make mistakes. And parents who believe their 16 and 19 year olds, for example, have the wisdom of a 65 year old and always make decisions based on what the family priest would approve of, are living in a fantasy world.

And about the wasting her money part, she can get drinks for free all night under the right circumstances.

Drive by a bus stop and see what the teenagers are wearing to school. It is enough to make a male teacher or administrator crazy.

We need to arm kids with truthful information and let them make informed decisions and hope it is the right one.
Not a sermon, just a thought.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2007 08:26PM by Radiophile.

Posted by: duh ()
Date: July 06, 2007 09:10PM

You ain't kidding, radiophile.

My retirement gig is working security at a FCPS high school. If I had a nickel for every time I've heard "not my child"...and I've only been doing this for 3 years...

And the more affluent the parents, the more oblivious they are. A lot of them don't even know their kid...too busy chasing those granite counter tops and fancy cars, I guess.

Da Nile ain't just a river in Egypt!

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: July 06, 2007 09:50PM

And parents who believe their 16 and 19 year olds, ... are living in a fantasy world

My parents are truly smart folks and I had a great upbringing...but I was a pretty cunning teenager, and I was able to hide just about all my bad behavior from them. The ridiculous partying, drinking, smoking, sex, etc.... I wouldn't even admit it to them to this day (and this all happened back in the late 80's/early 90's). They'd freak out if I told them what I was doing back then. They weren't oblivious for any other reason than that it's easy to hide shit if you you really focus on it. Any parent that thinks their kid is a perfect angel in HS or college truly is living in a fantasy world.

Posted by: hold em' ()
Date: July 06, 2007 10:53PM

If you can join the military without anyones permission then you deserve to drink. 18 used to be the law in virginia and I dont remember any big problems.

It is just stupid and draconian to set 21 as the age to drink. By then you could be married, served three years in Iraq, had kids or finished college. Enough of the government and nanny style laws telling people what to do.

Posted by: hold em' ()
Date: July 06, 2007 11:01PM

I also remember as a kid we would buy the beer or have someone buy it for us and then go drinking at some out of the way field. The very few times the cops came by it was just pour the beer out and go home. The cops knew where we were drinking but if we kept the noise down and didnt get out of control they left us alone.
Now the cops cant even do that, the parents will file complaints on them for not notifying them of their kids drinking. Rather than face disciplinary action the cops will just make the call and take the kids home.

Date: July 07, 2007 04:33AM

Radiophile Wrote:
> At the end of the show, it turns out the daughter
> was a crack addicted, dominatrix , stripper,
> prostitute who ran a gambling ring on the side.

now that's my kind of girl!

> The HPV vaccination may save their
> lives, but OH DEAR NO!!!

since when did HPV kill anyone?!

> We need to arm kids with truthful information and
> let them make informed decisions and hope it is
> the right one.

i think arming them with guns would be more effective at solving the problem. i mean, if you get a dead kid of a dead adversary of the kid, either way the problem is solved!

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Date: July 07, 2007 07:01AM

gravis, hpv is the leading cause of cervical cancer. The cancer kills them.

Posted by: Theo ()
Date: July 07, 2007 10:29AM

Hey, Hold'em,

What does joining the military without anyone's permission have to do with the drinking age? Maybe anyone dumb enough to join the military doesn't drink anyway.

What is this "deserves to drinK" crap??? Drinking alcohol is an option and a choice if you are 21 yrs. old or more, but even people those ages don't "deserve" to drink. A lot of people have abused the option and suffer the consequences. A lot of innocent people have died.

Date: July 07, 2007 10:43AM

Duh,

You are so right about parents being in denial. I worked for many years at a FCPS secondary school. I cannot even begin to tell you how many times the parents had no clue what their kids were up to. Even if they were presented with the evidence, they either denied it or made excuses or tried to blame someone else. I used to find notes from seventh graders about taking prescription pills from home, hiding booze in water bottles, having oral sex, stealing from stores, cutting school them blaming an attendance error, confiscating mail addressed to parents, erasing voice mails to parents, cheating on tests, using an older sibling's report/project, etc. And these were nice, middle class suburban kids! Heck, my own kid did much of the same stuff and I was very vigilant. ( I even tapped our phone)Those teenage years can make people crazy. But the smart parents will not be in denial and will not be looking for scapegoats.

Trickie

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: July 07, 2007 11:21AM

I know, another television reference, but what the heck.

Judge Judy asks parents "Do you know how to tell a teenager is lying? Their mouths are moving."

And not to let anyone think we have drifted off topic - In the salad days, drinking leads to sex, or at least the perceived opportunity.

Posted by: TownCrier ()
Date: July 07, 2007 01:44PM

hold em' Wrote:
> If you can join the military without anyones
> permission then you deserve to drink. 18 used to
> be the law in virginia and I dont remember any big
> problems.
>
> It is just stupid and draconian to set 21 as the
> age to drink. By then you could be married, served
> three years in Iraq, had kids or finished college.
> Enough of the government and nanny style laws
> telling people what to do.

Yep, give all kids booze at 18. That girl who killed herself and three others in the wreck on 495 certainly possessed the maturity to handle hers well.

Date: July 07, 2007 04:26PM

RESton Peace Wrote:
> gravis, hpv is the leading cause of cervical
> cancer. The cancer kills them.

now that makes more sense.

Date: July 08, 2007 08:44PM

That whole "kids do stupid things when they drink" idea is definately true. Please also take into consideration what adults do when they are drunk. Drive drunk, cheat on spouses, beat their kids for bad grades or getting in trouble, all that bull shit. Don't make this a double standard why not just raise the legal age to 60 or 70 so no one gets hurt. Some people live with their heads up their asses. I have to admit drinking at a young age comes with problems. The worst I've seen it is alot of the kids coming back from the sandbox drinking to forget. Eventually every time they are stateside their only memories end up being a blurr. This all comes down to a personal choice. All parents can do is try to instill some good values into their kids. If the kid decides to drink just make sure they are responsible enough not to drive and offer them alternatives if possible.

Date: July 09, 2007 12:31AM

You are completely right. Parents have a responsibility to help their children make the right choices, like not joining the military and going to Iraq. A parent needs to recognize when their child does not have the metal to avoid becoming a basket case, and act accordingly so that their child can be spared the humiliation that comes with that kind of utter failure.

Date: July 09, 2007 08:24AM

Lester Burnham Wrote:
> Party Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I call bullshit on your daughter, if shes in
> > college, and away from home, she at least
> drinks
> > once in a while.
>
>
> I didn't say that she NEVER drinks, just that she
> knows her limits (which is about two beers). She
> hates big crowds, so she stays away from frat
> parties. She spends a lot of time leading rock
> climbing, kayaking and caving trips which do not
> go well with being trashed.

i.e. his daughter is an ugly nerd!!!!

s
Date: July 09, 2007 08:29AM

s

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2010 02:23PM by inkahootz.

Date: July 09, 2007 03:57PM

Reston I wouldnt say its because their lives become an utter failure its just a shitty situation. Parents need to become more involved in their kids lives and not just in matters of school and such. Go hang out with your kids sometime and watch a movie or take them fishing or something. Parents these days are lazy as hell.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.