HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
APNewsBreak: Va. surplus nearly double estimate
Posted by: va state employee ()
Date: August 17, 2010 02:39PM

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) - Aides to Gov. Bob McDonnell said Tuesday that the state's final 2010 budget surplus will be nearly $404 million, nearly double the previous estimate.

http://wtop.com/?nid=25&sid=2029373

What a bunch of crap! They are failing to say that they took over 600 million from VRS (Virginia Retirement System) to balance this years budget. They took money from every single current and retired employee and put the retirement system in jeopardy. Maybe they will turn the VRS into another Social Security ponzi scheme.

According to my simple math...took over 600 million minus the 404 million bogus surplus is still a 196 million deficit. Maybe the money should go back where it bellongs? The VRS? How long before they start balancing budgets with our 401k's, IRA's, ROTH IRA's etc?

The article says, "McDonnell plannes to make the announcement Thursday to the General Assembly's money committees." Wow...hhmmm...how do we waste this money?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: APNewsBreak: Va. surplus nearly double estimate
Posted by: conVince ()
Date: August 17, 2010 02:57PM

I was wondering how long it would take the demokrat big labor machine to make up crap about good news in Virginia, just because a Republican is the governor. Keep spewing it.

------------------------------------

twitter @EyeAmU

Posted by: Cindy ()
Date: August 17, 2010 03:43PM

You'll remember what in November? All the fucked up stuff the bitter Republicans have done? Oh wait, the Republicans haven't done ANYTHING.

Well at least we can all be thankful Republicans aren't driving the US economy into the ground like under Bush by destroying the banking and housing industry.

Posted by: Driver ()
Date: August 17, 2010 04:18PM

Maybe VDOT can cut their grass and paint the lines on the road.

Date: August 17, 2010 04:33PM

So they got to the surplus by-

- Raiding employee pensions
- Taking $800 million in Federal bailout funds
- A hike of the state sales tax, which generated $220 million

Borrowing, handouts and tax hikes. Sound like bedrock Republican values to me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: Lopter58 ()
Date: August 17, 2010 05:05PM

Still waiting for McDonnell to follow through on all his campaign promises. Like improving Northern Virginia transportation, selling ABC stores, installing tolls on roads and selling off schools.

Posted by: Kardinal ()
Date: August 17, 2010 05:06PM

Lopter58 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Still waiting for McDonnell to follow through on
> all his campaign promises. Like improving
> Northern Virginia transportation, selling ABC
> stores, installing tolls on roads and selling off
> schools.

Got references for those promises?

Posted by: Bill ()
Date: August 17, 2010 05:18PM

Lopter58 Wrote:
> Still waiting for McDonnell to follow through on
> all his campaign promises. Like improving
> Northern Virginia transportation, selling ABC
> stores, installing tolls on roads and selling off
> schools.

He followed through on the one I cared most about-he reopened the rest areas.

Posted by: Pissed as Hell ()
Date: August 17, 2010 05:20PM

All these Demmies can do is talk shit. That's all they have. Talk. And talk this is shit.

They know the jig is up. They know their party is going down this fall. They just need to live the Demmie fantasy a little while longer.

Posted by: Pissed as Hell ()
Date: August 17, 2010 05:25PM

Here we have great news in Virginia and all these bastards can do is point fingers and try finding fault. God help us. If you aint going to say it, I will: The Demmies approach SUCKs, plain and simple. I just wish they'd take the sewer feeder connolly and all move to DC. I get so tired of there shit. You will find more knowledge from a tree. Its getting where I can't read or watch the news without having me some good old Johnny Walker.

Posted by: Dane Bramage ()
Date: August 17, 2010 05:38PM

va state employee Wrote:
>
> The article says, "McDonnell plannes to make the
> announcement Thursday to the General Assembly's
> money committees." Wow...hhmmm...how do we waste
> this money?

Not with pay raises, although that 3% bonus in December will be a nice addition for state workers. However, with 40% of it withheld in taxes it should be just enough for one heating bill.

VA is still better off than California.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: August 17, 2010 05:39PM

Bill Wrote:
> Lopter58 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Still waiting for McDonnell to follow through
> on
> > all his campaign promises. Like improving
> > Northern Virginia transportation, selling ABC
> > stores, installing tolls on roads and selling
> off
> > schools.
>
>
> He followed through on the one I cared most
> about-he reopened the rest areas.

Amen to that. So far I have not used any of the ones he reopened, but I always appreciate driving past and seeing them availible.

Posted by: JR ()
Date: August 18, 2010 07:50AM

Wasn't the 2010 budget pass under Tim Kaine. Micky D's budget didn't start until July 1, 2010.

Posted by: Dane Bramage ()
Date: August 18, 2010 02:04PM

JR Wrote:
> Wasn't the 2010 budget pass under Tim Kaine.
> Micky D's budget didn't start until July 1, 2010.

The surplus was the result of McDonnell's actions, such as the VRS deferment mentioned earlier in this thread.

As also mentioned, he was able to reopen the rest stops, finding savings by using non-violent inmate labor.

Kaine was busy running the DNC while he was in office, and had limited time to manage Virginia's fiscal issues.

Posted by: T party, bring it on ()
Date: August 19, 2010 12:58PM

Virginia just announced they will be sending the surplus revenue to aid Pakistan with the flood state of emergency."It is the Democratic Party thing to do",since the Obamas 5th vacation this year is on the lower 48 and saving everybody a ton of money.

Posted by: Teh King ()
Date: August 19, 2010 07:18PM

Bill Wrote:
>
>
> He followed through on the one I cared most
> about-he reopened the rest areas.

Of course he reopened the rest areas. Closeted gay republicans need someplace to hook up, don't they?

Posted by: I Need a Good Vacation ()
Date: August 19, 2010 08:09PM

T party, bring it on Wrote:
"It is the Democratic Party
> thing to do",since the Obamas 5th vacation this
> year is on the lower 48 and saving everybody a ton
> of money.

You've lost track: the Obamas are actually starting their 6th vacation this year...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/barackobama/7952796/Obamas-to-begin-sixth-holiday-of-the-year.html

Truly a 'let them eat cake' moment.

Posted by: Take a Stand ()
Date: August 19, 2010 09:16PM

Great, we have a surplus, now what?

Lets put aside the stupid, my team is better than your team bullshit! I don't care if he is a donkey or an elephant

what the fuck is he going to do with the "extra" money?
How the hell did this "surplus" come about?
How did this come about so fast, and beat estimates from earlier in the year by his own party?

A couple things that contributed, like moving state debt payments out to 2011 and requiring some business tax payments for 2011 be paid in 2010, and restructuring bonds..

that is like deferring your house payment and CC payments for a month and saying you have a household surplus. No you dont, you just didnt pay your bills!

Posted by: full story not given ()
Date: August 19, 2010 09:50PM

The state might have a surplus, but the counties have been dumped on big time. The schools were given a 45 million dollar "holiday" on the VRS payment this year (FCPS), but just wait. Their gain is going to be our county's loss when we have to start paying it back next year at 7% interest (yes sir). They moved their debt from the state books to the county one. Gotta love McDonnell.

Posted by: Voter____ ()
Date: August 19, 2010 10:40PM

I'm naturally skeptical of any proposal by Republicans that purports to offer a free lunch, but McDonnel's idea of privatizing ABC may make some sense. In general, I'm not comfortable with the state running businesses that should be private--and liquor stores shouldn't be an exception. However, I'm not crazy about giving up a revenue stream that the state has come to depend on when we have so many pressing needs. This is an interesting column by Steven Perlstein about how we may be able to have our cake and eat it too:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/08/17/AR2010081705527.html

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: August 19, 2010 11:08PM

Wow, so the governor actually upholds his promise of balancing the budget without tax hikes (He does it within eight months no less), and now he catches flak for it? You're the same people who keep saying: "Give Obama a chance", and yet you bitch about someone who actually accomplished a campaign promise.

So what if they borrowed money from teachers funds and such? It'll be payed back in full, with interest. In the meantime, he's attracting more business to the Commonwealth, and if everything gets on track, he's already established a push for off-shore drilling (Which OBAMA has attempted tp roadblock).

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2010 11:08PM by ThePackLeader.

Posted by: TastyOil ()
Date: August 20, 2010 12:56AM

ThePackLeader Wrote:
> he's attracting more
> business to the Commonwealth, and if everything
> gets on track, he's already established a push for
> off-shore drilling (Which OBAMA has attempted tp
> roadblock).

You dumb fuck - that's certainly what I want to see... Nice little tar balls
one day on the shores of Ocean City, OBX, and Virginia Beach.

If Republicans told you that shit in a bag was a good idea and "it's what the founding framers really wanted" you'd eat it up, smile, and tell everyone else they are a moron for doubting your precious conservative media.

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: August 20, 2010 07:27AM

It is a shame when there is good news, for whatever the reason, and people get angry over it because they don't think their "side" is getting the credit. The alternative, wishing for things to go bad, is ignorant and Rush-Limbaugh-ish to say the least. Be happy things are going well and work to improve them.

Posted by: the truth ()
Date: August 21, 2010 03:31AM

Posted by: Cindy ()
Date: August 17, 2010 03:43PM

You'll remember what in November? All the fucked up stuff the bitter Republicans have done? Oh wait, the Republicans haven't done ANYTHING.

Well at least we can all be thankful Republicans aren't driving the US economy into the ground like under Bush by destroying the banking and housing industry.

You seem to forget the Demokrats were in "power" and voted all this crap through to give money to people who cant afford homes...hmmmmmmmm *knock knock* remember that?

LOL and it's friggin funny that anytime someome mentions how crappy the current administration, president, congress is doing ....all they have is "Bush did it"

got a new line yet? That one is getting rather old and tattered

Posted by: VA is for running for higher office ()
Date: August 22, 2010 08:13PM

I thought this post was about Virginia and the surplus? How did it already get to Bush?

I do think the jury's out on all of this. It's easy to do something for the short run---let's see what McDonnell does for the next couple of years before we give him an award. The problem with VA is this 4 year term limit on governors. There's no incentive for a governor to do what's good for the long haul (which is what really counts). They all just become party chairs or run for federal office---which seems to be their real goal anyway.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: August 22, 2010 08:29PM

TastyOil Wrote:
> ThePackLeader Wrote:
> -----
> > he's attracting more
> > business to the Commonwealth, and if everything
> > gets on track, he's already established a push
> for
> > off-shore drilling (Which OBAMA has attempted
> tp
> > roadblock).
>
> You dumb fuck - that's certainly what I want to
> see... Nice little tar balls
> one day on the shores of Ocean City, OBX, and
> Virginia Beach.
>

You think theres ever going to be an oil spill of this size again? Now they will be a lot more careful.

Drilling 50 miles off the coast of VA would bring us much needed revenue.

Posted by: Take a Stand ()
Date: August 22, 2010 08:46PM

So it seems everyone is too busy , bashing the President or either party to actually think about this..

I dont care who produced this "surplus". People are failing to realize is this extra money just didnt get shit out of a golden goose..

-Taxes were paid out of cycle,
- extra money from the federal stimulus was included in the surplus numbers
- some state debt was restructured to be paid in 2011, instead of 2010
- business state tax revenue was counted in the 2010 FY instead of the 2011 FY
- pulling from other entitlement funds for quick cash

Im sure a couple pennies were saved by not mowing and closing rest stops, but no one can turn a $2 billion gap into a surplus in a year, with out some funny accounting..

As planned, everyone is so busy bashing the other side, they cant see it for what it is..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2010 08:50PM by Take a Stand.

Posted by: Chris ()
Date: August 23, 2010 07:56PM

@ WashingTone-Lucian

You're right the General Assembly played some budget games to get into the situation we're in, none of which are optimal in better times. No one liked this budget. Not the governor, not the Republican leadership, and not the Democratic leadership, but it was, imo, the best that could be done in the situation and as a result Virginia is in a better place than many other states.

Of the "surplus" money, only around $87 million is going to be left for McDonnell to spend. I would think the best solution would be to get a head start on repaying the VRS funds or save it to use for next year's budget.

As for NoVA's traffic, the administration is in the process of rolling out its liquor store privatization plans, which should bring a bit of a windfall for certain projects. However, even with the money (which we don't have and which even the liquor store sales will nto fix) there is the problem of the NIMBYs who won't let VDOT fix any damn thing. Arlington County Democrats are singlehandedly fucking up the I-95/395 HOT lanes project with bogus accusations of racism (yes, you read that right), have stalled I-66 widening for years (forcing us into the "spot" improvements situation we're in now), and are STILL...STILL at this late date attempting to throw monkey wrenches into the I-495 HOT Lanes project already underway. It's a mess.

Posted by: formerhick76 ()
Date: August 24, 2010 09:02AM

Why the hell do Arlington officials have a say on the Beltway? And yeah, they're gumming up the works on I-66 and I-395 improvements.

McDonnell has done well up to this point, despite Cuccinelli's attempts to drag irrelevant social issues into the forefront.

Some budget gimmicks were used, but nothing that's out of the ordinary, and either we'll have to go full Keynesian at the national level or realize austerity is the name of the future game.

Posted by: spanky ()
Date: August 24, 2010 01:19PM

Hey smart Politico's. Todays Republicans would have been called JFK dems back in the day. Todays Dems are pinko commie's your grandparents beat the crap out of or hassled. think about it.

Both still just want a foot in the door, to get rich and sell your sorry ass'es out. So keep slamming eachother, while they both lie and rob you and yours blind. Blame it on the Joooooooooooooo's, the worlds patsy.

Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: August 25, 2010 01:30PM

Teh King Wrote:
> Bill Wrote:
> -----
> >
> >
> > He followed through on the one I cared most
> > about-he reopened the rest areas.
>
> Of course he reopened the rest areas. Closeted gay
> republicans need someplace to hook up, don't they?
Attachments:
YouMad.jpg

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.