HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Closing the BlackHispanic-White Gap (Asian Gap Continues)
Posted by: FCPS Press Release ()
Date: August 12, 2010 01:59PM

Students in Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) showed improvement on the Virginia Standards of Learning (SOL) mathematics tests with higher pass rates for all subgroups during the 2009-10 school year compared with 2008-09, while English/Reading pass rates remained relatively constant (tables 1 and 2). In mathematics, the Black-White achievement gap and the Hispanic-White achievement gap decreased three percentage points this year (table 2). Approximately 50 percent of all reading and mathematics tests received a score of “pass advanced.†Based on the SOL scores, the school division made adequate yearly progress (AYP) under the No Child Left Behind (NCLB) Act this year (table 3).

FCPS Superintendent Jack D. Dale states, “These upward trends of improvement and narrowing of achievement gaps reflect FCPS’ focus on the individual child. Collaborative work by our excellent teachers and other educators, including design of lessons that ensure that each child is challenged to his or her full potential, has been paying off over the past few years.â€

By law, any Title I* school that did not make AYP for two consecutive years in the same subject is identified for improvement and faces sanctions. FCPS continues to participate in an NCLB reversal pilot program that allows the division to offer supplemental educational services (SES) to Title I schools in the first year of school improvement. This program allows students to receive tutoring services and additional academic assistance before offering parents the choice to transfer to a different school. This year, Beech Tree, Bucknell, and London Towne Elementary Schools will offer SES. Although London Towne made AYP this year, the school was recently designated as a Title I school and is required to offer SES based on previous performance in mathematics.

Three formerly sanctioned Title I schools--Hollin Meadows, Hybla Valley, and Mount Vernon Woods--made AYP for a second consecutive year and, in doing so, exited school-improvement status. Dogwood Elementary School also made AYP this year after being under sanctions last year. Schools in improvement that make AYP for the current year are placed in a holding status and are required to make AYP for two consecutive years to have the sanctions removed. Dogwood and Washington Mill will continue to offer SES and the opportunity to transfer to one of two other schools that have been designated by FCPS as receiving schools. This year, one additional school—Woodlawn Elementary School—will be required to offer its students SES and the option to transfer to a receiving school.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Closing the BlackHispanic-White Gap (Asian Gap Continues)
Posted by: define "diversity" ()
Date: August 12, 2010 03:52PM

And once again at TJ, there's pressure to have fewer asians and more latinos and african americans.

http://www.fairfaxtimes.com/cms/story.php?id=1857

Strange, though. Isn't it racist to want more of a certain ethnicity and less of others? Aren't they supposed to NOT look at the race?

Posted by: More Complete ()
Date: August 12, 2010 04:14PM

So white people are getting dumber? Makes sense.

Posted by: what a joke ()
Date: August 12, 2010 04:24PM

haven't you guys heard? There is no achievement gap in FCPS. Ask Tessie, Stu or Liz-they have repeated this many times.

The kids don't take the SOLs anymore!!!!

They take the VGLA-which has a near 100% pass rate.

Looking at what FCPS reports as test scores is meaningless.

Posted by: ro ()
Date: August 12, 2010 05:46PM

Not sure if this was in the print version last week, but at least someone countered the silly notion that n% hispanics in Fairfax Co. means there should be n% hispanics at TJ.

http://www.fairfaxtimes.com/cms/story.php?id=1913

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: August 12, 2010 06:57PM

All I can say is that I'm really glad I attended K-12 within FCPS. The experience was great overall, and I never witnessed a lack of quality regarding the education.

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Posted by: Al ()
Date: August 16, 2010 12:05AM

Damn, you must be really smart to have come up with a great remark like that.
Wow, I wish I could be just like you.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.