HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Wegmans
Posted by: FFX00 ()
Date: August 10, 2010 11:22PM

OK, this Wegmans thing make me feel like I am taking crazy pills, just like Mugato in Zoolander- ever since I moved here 5 years ago I have been hearing how amazing Wegmans is and how cheap it is. The Washington Consumer says it is a five hundred dollars a year less than Shoppers, based on their list of 152 items that they did not share. I have been to Wegmans many times, and not counting the occasional good sale, how in the hell is this store considered cheap, especially compared to Shoppers???? I can understand it probably has a better selection that Shoppers, although I can always find what I need there, but in what world is Wegmans considered cheap? When the magazines aren't saying it my coworkers were- does anyone here see what I see or is Wegmans somehow cheaper and my brain cannot comprehend this? The clientele there sure looks different than Shoppers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wegmans
Posted by: She DeviI ()
Date: August 10, 2010 11:39PM

lol, yeaaaah...Wegmans is NOT cheap at all...and it's like a fucking amusement park there..fun, but everything is fucking overpriced

i'm really a man

Posted by: dumb bitch ()
Date: August 10, 2010 11:47PM

She DeviI Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> lol, yeaaaah...Wegmans is NOT cheap at all...and
> it's like a fucking amusement park there..fun, but
> everything is fucking overpriced

He has attacked all black victims, except for one dark skinned Hispanic he thought was black.

Posted by: oops ()
Date: August 10, 2010 11:55PM

oops! lol

Posted by: She DeviI ()
Date: August 11, 2010 12:55AM

Yeah, oops, kill yourself, dumbass limp dick retard.

i'm really a man

Posted by: fourleaf ()
Date: August 11, 2010 04:12PM

Wegmans is cheap if you stay out of that first isle of goodness with the bakery and seafood. All of the specialty wonderfoods are in that isle and I can't ever leave the place without spending at least $80 on crap I don't need. If you go just for the groceries, it's pretty cheap.

Re: Obama + Goldman Sachs > Bush + ENRON - Where's the Outrage?
Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: August 11, 2010 04:18PM

It may be cheap if you buy staple items and dry goods. I don't have one near me, so if I go in it's for fancy stuff. Great hot food bar there.

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2015 07:53PM by WingNut.

Date: August 11, 2010 04:24PM

Compared to Whole Foods and Trader Joe's, it is probably considered cheap. Compared to Shopper's and Super Walmart? Not so much.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: Black man in Wegmans ()
Date: August 11, 2010 04:44PM

The most plump white women this side of the Mississippi shop at Wegmans. I love it!

Posted by: Fix ()
Date: August 11, 2010 05:00PM

Fixed long name

Posted by: wegmans regular ()
Date: August 11, 2010 05:02PM

good things about wegmans:
wide variety
great wine / beer selection
items you cannot find in other grocery stores

try out the greek yogurt its pretty good

Posted by: Wegmans Lover Forever ()
Date: August 11, 2010 05:15PM

My opinion on the Super Wal-mart/Target vs. Wegmans Debate. After recently trying out the new Manasshole wal-mart I noticed that the cost for their perishable items were so much higher than Wegmans. I was not to thrilled to buy a gallon of organic milk for $6 when I can go to Wegmans and get it for $5. Meat is also a lot higher at the wal-mart and the variety sucks! I'm sticking to my Wegmans. Shoppers is cheap but they are usually not in the best of areas nor are they clean as Wegmans so again I'm sticking to my Wegmans. To each it's own.

Posted by: Les ()
Date: August 11, 2010 05:51PM

Wegman's has jacked up their prices in recent years.

Wal-Mart sells stale food. I've bought cookies, crackers, chips, cereal, Stouffer's dinners, etc. at the Dulles Supercenter, and they all taste old.

Posted by: Troll@AOL ()
Date: August 11, 2010 05:54PM

Maybe your just 'OLD' and loosing your taste!

==================================================================================
"Why don't you LOSERS just pack your flower print DOUCHE BAGS
and get your stoopid @$$#$ THE FUCK OFF MY INTERNETZ!"

- 'philscamms' (the YT Watchdog) ; internet & YouTube® extraordinaire.

Posted by: Dane Bramage ()
Date: August 11, 2010 06:16PM

Comparing Wegmans with Giant, Safeway, and especially Whole Foods; it beats them hands down.

If you're going to Shoppers or Walmart for groceries you probably don't belong in Wegmans. Also, keep a wary eye out for carjackers around those places.

Posted by: Elle Diabla ()
Date: August 11, 2010 06:24PM

The naysayers are not comparison shopping.

So let's start with the staples:

First, milk is the cheapest of ALL stores at Wegmans. $2.22 for a gallon of skim. Even Walmart has milk price upwards of $3.00 & +.

Laundry detergent is the same as it is at Walmart, with the exception of fabric softener which I don't understand the high price at Wegmans.

Bread is the same as Target and most of the time, Walmart.

Standard, white Eggs are just a tad higher than Walmart.

American cheese is the same as Walmart & Wegmans has their own brand for an even cheaper price, better deal.

Asswipe - about the same as Walmart for name brands, and cheaper if you chose the Wegmans brand.

And all of these are still cheaper than any other grocery store.

So those are the staples...

The rest of the regularly shopped for items, but can do without, (not staples, but still always used):

*Dishwasher/dish detergent - slightly higher than Walmart.

Cleaning products in general, slightly higher than Walmart, DEPENDING on what you're buying. For example, the vinegar-based cleaner that Windex has out now, (which I use by the gallons, or Method), is higher at Walmart, and Wegmans has their own version for only $1.50!
All the Method products are priced the same as Target.

Candy/snacks. Depends on what you're getting. Chips like Doritos are always cheaper at Wegmans, because they have a forever sale of 2/$3.00-4.00. Walmart has never beaten this. Oreos & all of the more popular sweets are cheaper at Walmart. Walmart has Oreos for around $2.50 and Wegmans is $2.99.

Cereal Depends on what you're looking for, but, they usually have excellent sales with a ton of organic choices. Walmart has slightly cheaper prices on very popular cereals, otherwise it's not much of a difference.

Pastas/Sauces - Walmart is definitely cheaper here. But, again, not by a ton. But, if you do buy a lot of it, then it's worth it to make a run to this dreaded place and stock up. It also depends on the actual brand that you buy. I like to use Paul Newman and the Bertoli sauces and doctor them up with herbs and spices, etc, etc, and Bertoli is cheaper by about $.50 at Walmart. Paul Newman isn't even found there.

Produce Wegmans produce is great quality. They often have great sales on strawberries, cantaloupe, corn...But, you can to the BEST for your money at
H Mart. NO WHERE else is cheaper than that place.

I could go on...The point is, Wegmans is by far, the cheapest grocery store around. I ran over to Bloom last Thanksgiving because I was a last minute shopper and couldn't find some things that the rest of the hordes had bought up, and even they were higher than Wegmans.

Using Walmart as a comparison, it's not much of a difference.

Wegmans has an awesome environment, extremely friendly staff, (fluent in english), and so many options for so many types of shoppers. Huge amounts of organic products, with the best prices there, too, and the store itself is perfectly clean and organized. So, why would I chose the dreaded Fair Lakes Walmart over freaking Wegmans when they aren't that much of a difference in price, if not the same in many instances?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2010 06:25PM by Elle Diabla.

Date: August 11, 2010 06:39PM

The Shoppers on Main Street is definitely not in a bad area. Thanks a lot for the comparison to Wal Mart, that was great to read. I wonder if Wegman's is cheaper than Trader Joe's though.

Date: August 11, 2010 06:51PM

I've never been to Trader Joe's, but hear they are cheap. In what areas, though?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2010 06:52PM by Elle Diabla.

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: August 11, 2010 07:08PM

I always thought Trader Joe's has the exact prices that Whole Foods does.

Blessed are the murderous.

Date: August 11, 2010 07:37PM

Trader Joes is MUCH MUCH cheaper than Whole Foods, WF had an ill fated campaign where they tried to prove otherwise and in using their cheapest products against regular TJ products you ended up saving six cents. I have gone to WF enough to comparison shop with TJ and WF is about double. Interestingly, the survey I mentioned in the first post said that compared to Safeway and Giant, you will end up spending over SEVEN THOUSAND dollars more at Whole Foods compared to those stores. WF is good if you need peanut- lactose-gluten free- cookies and the like, no offense if you are in this category.

Date: August 11, 2010 07:40PM

Yea, I've heard that Whole Foods carries very unique items, but that won't get me to shop there for organics.

Must check out TJ's sometime.

Posted by: BrianSchoeneman ()
Date: August 11, 2010 08:09PM

I live within walking distance of the Wegmans in Fairfax. We love it, for the most part. The selection is generally good, although they don't carry every brand because they want you buying the Wegman's brand (try finding Daisy sour cream, among other things.)

My only complaint is that it turns into social hour and you have random people from all over the place coming there and standing around, blocking the aisles. I swear, people walk in that place and turn into zombies.

Posted by: Shopper ()
Date: August 11, 2010 08:14PM

You forgot:

MILFs

wegmans regular Wrote:
> good things about wegmans:
> wide variety
> great wine / beer selection
> items you cannot find in other grocery stores
>
> try out the greek yogurt its pretty good

Posted by: Kim ()
Date: August 11, 2010 09:12PM

The Pan Am Safeway and the Oakton Super Giant are both comparable to Wegman's.

The produce are comparable across the three.

The prices are a little better at Safeway and Giant.

H Mart and Fairfax Costco have the best teenage Asian girls.

Date: August 11, 2010 09:21PM

Most people go to Wegman's like its Mecca during the Haj. If you buy Wegman's brand, its pretty cheap. Their food court is very good. But Jesus, its a fuckin grocery store.

Date: August 11, 2010 09:58PM

Emeritus Q. Beaker I wholeheartedly agree it is just a grocery store, I don't know what is wafting through the vents there that makes people freak out over it- there are Wegmans tailgating parties when a new one opens.

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: August 11, 2010 11:25PM

Kim Wrote:
> The Pan Am Safeway and the Oakton Super Giant are
> both comparable to Wegman's.
>
> The produce are comparable across the three.
>
> The prices are a little better at Safeway and
> Giant.
>
> H Mart and Fairfax Costco have the best teenage
> Asian girls.

Bullshit. Produce at Giant/Safeway sucks ass.

Date: August 11, 2010 11:26PM

Elle Diabla Wrote:
> Yea, I've heard that Whole Foods carries very
> unique items, but that won't get me to shop there
> for organics.
>
> Must check out TJ's sometime.

WF = Whole Paycheck.

As native west coaster, I LOVE Trade Joes..

Posted by: Steve K ()
Date: August 11, 2010 11:45PM

Wegmans is a lot cheaper outside of the prepared food section. Their meat is by far the best priced, frozen entres, breads, cereals, can goods, drinks, pastas, etc are all cheaper than just about everywhere.

Wegmans is where all my shopping is done now. Even being the madhouse that it is. I can assure you their is a reason Wegmans has about 10 times the customers at any given time of other supermarkets: the price.

Posted by: laff ()
Date: August 11, 2010 11:53PM

Steve K do you mean generic Wegmans brand is cheaper or name brand is cheaper than the others?

Posted by: kmaja ()
Date: August 12, 2010 02:50AM

Aside from Wegman's better prices, more choices, and better produce - the overall shopping experience is so much nicer than Safeway and Giant. The latter never staff enough check out people, aisles are narrow, their prepared food is gross, and they both have distinctive smells when you walk in.

My complaints about Wegman's is that is just TOO big for quick trips to the store, the parking lot is often super busy and I hate parking garages, the store is often crowded and hard to maneuver (especially the produce dept.), and their flower shop is way too small (Safeway beats Wegmans in this dept.).

Posted by: Les ()
Date: August 12, 2010 10:49AM

Wegman's prices are average at best, perhaps a little higher than most. Harris Teeter's and Magruder's has probably the highest prices in the area.

Wegman's draws a lot of customers that go for the prepared foods. The population is aging and continuing to drive the trend. Empty nesters don't have as many to cook for and cleaning up is a hassle if there's only 1 or 2 in the house. We used to go to Eatzi's in Rockville before it folded. It was always packed at meal time and on the weekends.

The other big draw are the customers who shop at warehouse clubs but want the convenience of buying in smaller quantities.

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: August 12, 2010 10:52AM

Les Wrote:
> Wegman's prices are average at best, perhaps a
> little higher than most. Harris Teeter's and
> Magruder's has probably the highest prices in the
> area.

How Magruder's has survived for this long is beyond me. That place is dirty and smells like an attic. The demographics that shop there could easily go to Whole Foods down the road.

Blessed are the murderous.

Posted by: like2eat@theY ()
Date: August 12, 2010 10:59AM

Lots of milfs at the dulles location.

Posted by: Sensible ()
Date: August 12, 2010 01:11PM

Harris Teeter is the biggest ripoff ever. Wegmans all the way.

Posted by: ABC ()
Date: August 12, 2010 02:28PM

lots of old people at Magruder's in Vienna. they probably hoard cats and haven't cleaned their cottage in years. all that matters is they can make the 5 minute drive to the grocery store and the drug store next door.

Posted by: thurston howell III ()
Date: August 12, 2010 05:38PM

i like harris teeter

i dont care if they are more expensive

i got money

Posted by: 2345 ()
Date: August 14, 2010 11:51AM

Produce and wine at Magruders is cheaper than it is anywhere else. If you aren't buying a lot of pre-packaged stuff, you will always do better there than at Giant, Safeway, Wegmans etc. When you go to those places you are paying for the ambiance, flood lighting, cheese displays etc. I prefer not to pay for the theatrics and just get decent, cheap food. And the produce there, while not always the prettiest, magazine-cover, painted produce, usually tastes pretty great. Magruders serves that need, and if it goes out of business, I for one will be pretty upset. Their stores are old, OK, but just pretend you're in one of the old Eastern Market buildings if you need some sort of justification. And I'm not old, I'm probably right in the Whole Foods target demographic.

Wegman's is nice, but I can't deal with the crowds there. It's like being at an amusement park. And I concur that it's way too big for a quick trip. Many times, I've driven into the parking lot, couldn't find a space ANYWHERE, and said "screw this" and gone to another store.

Date: August 14, 2010 12:11PM

You're retarded. Wegmans has "ambiance" AND the best prices. Gtfo and do some more comparison shopping.

Date: August 14, 2010 12:12PM

Also, I'm at Wegmans about 3-4 times per week, NEVER had a problem getting in and out if I'm looking to just grab milk an a few other things. You must be looking for a space RIGHT up front.

Or...going during absolute peak hours. All grocery stores have that prroblem at peak hours.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2010 12:12PM by Elle Diabla.

Posted by: 12345 ()
Date: August 15, 2010 10:26AM

If you've been to a Magruders recently you would know that they DON'T have that problem at peak hours, which is another reason why it's great that I neglected to mention. I've never stood in a line longer than 3 people there, regardless of when I go. That kind of Wegmans amusement park madness is not "normal" and it doesn't have to be like that. And the produce/wine at Wegmans is way more expensive than Magruders, no doubt about it.

Posted by: shopper ()
Date: August 16, 2010 12:18AM

I live near Wegman's used to go to the Kamp Washington Giant. I don't know how they stay in business. Not too many shoppers there and their cashiers are lack a daisical and not very friendly. There food expiration dates are pass due on a lot of their products. It's Wegman's all the way for me. Produce is beautiful, the staff is friendly and helpful. Their canned goods are cheaper and actually better than Green Giant and other name brands. If you stay away from the prepared food you will get out of there cheaper. Someone mentioned WF that place is a true ripoff.

Posted by: fat police ()
Date: August 16, 2010 04:23AM

Elle Diabla Wrote:
> Also, I'm at Wegmans about 3-4 times per week,

slow down on the food lady - you're gonna get as big as a house

Posted by: Blank Reg ()
Date: August 16, 2010 11:31AM

12345 Wrote:
> If you've been to a Magruders recently you would
> know that they DON'T have that problem at peak
> hours... I've never stood in a line
> longer than 3 people there, regardless of when I
> go.

Of course Magruders is a ghost town even at peak hours... no one in their right mind shops at that dump.

12345 Wrote:
> That kind of Wegmans amusement park madness is
> not "normal" and it doesn't have to be like that.

You're right, we should all work out a schedule so that only one community block shops at any given time. Come on, this is Fairfax County, of course it's going to be crowded, especially if it's a quality place.

12345 Wrote:
> And the produce/wine at Wegmans is way more
> expensive than Magruders, no doubt about it.

I bought a couple pounds of apples at Magruders last year when I was in the neighborhood. They turned rotten within three days. As a bonus, their produce aisle smelled like feces. I wouldn't feed Magruders produce to rats, let alone humans. Unless I was trying to kill said rats, which in that case, I would feed them ONLY food from Magruders.

Date: August 16, 2010 02:04PM

fat police Wrote:
> Elle Diabla Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Also, I'm at Wegmans about 3-4 times per week,
>
>
>
> slow down on the food lady - you're gonna get as
> big as a house

Date: August 16, 2010 03:18PM

ABC Wrote:
> lots of old people at Magruder's in Vienna. they
> probably hoard cats and haven't cleaned their
> cottage in years. all that matters is they can
> make the 5 minute drive to the grocery store and
> the drug store next door.

Thats about right. Lots of silvers and non-natives there. Must make for interesting convo on the car ride home...

Posted by: hoocoodanode ()
Date: August 16, 2010 08:15PM

shopper Wrote:
> I live near Wegman's used to go to the Kamp
> Washington Giant. I don't know how they stay in
> business. Not too many shoppers there and their
> cashiers are lack a daisical and not very
> friendly. There food expiration dates are pass
> due on a lot of their products. It's Wegman's all
> the way for me. Produce is beautiful, the staff
> is friendly and helpful. Their canned goods are
> cheaper and actually better than Green Giant and
> other name brands. If you stay away from the
> prepared food you will get out of there cheaper.
> Someone mentioned WF that place is a true ripoff.

I used to go to that Giant. There was an older, blonde cashier who was slow as hell because she was trying to listen in on peoples conversations.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.