HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
WJF--K'd
Posted by: Peter Rosenberg, McDJ ()
Date: June 29, 2007 10:16PM

WJFK is officially fucked. The latest full-day ratings has the station at 17th in the market. Its ratings are HALF those of AM'er WMAL and it is actually in a horserace with perennial AM loser WTEM and the "Radio Concept of Death" Washington Post Radio. WJFK is in 10th place during the Don & Mike Show and in 13th place during the Junkies.

In other words, it is time for Michael Hughes to get a new job. He has made a complete disaster out of the station. He chases off Ron and Fez. He makes the dumbass move of simulcasting Opie & Anthony in the Dead Zone of Middays instead of flipping them into Morning Drive and sticking the talentless and boring Junkies in Midday.

If worse comes to worse, they can always get me back with the promise of some Big Macs.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WJF--K'd
Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: June 29, 2007 10:39PM

I doubt you are the real Pete R, but anyway...

There are several Big Shots who are to blame, while Mr. Hughes is certainly at or near the top of the list.

Briging O&A back, bad decission - they did not remember what happaned the first time - HEADS ROLLED!

I really believe D&M have or had a good show. They rocked in the ratings. Its when management screwed them and started meddling with the show that things went down hill, fast! I am siding with D&M even they deserved some of they blame, there management is 90% plus to blame.

Radio history is full of genius's who come and fix things. Sometimes (rarely) the consultants are right, most of the time, the consultants cause irreperable harm.

Radio legends can tell stories of how they fucked with management and fucked with the consultants and I cvan tell you when the talent gets their way, the shows get better and ratings go up. When the management has to prove they have biog dicks and are worth the money they are paid by fucking with the talent - things go to shit.

It is a crappy business.

Posted by: ya ()
Date: June 29, 2007 10:56PM

Getting rid of FOn and Fez and that late night show that came on after it....The attic? I cant remember the name somebody refresh but they were on a few years back after ron and fez...but getting rid of both....BAD IDEA.

DOn and Mike are the only good things going for this station right now. Reston Peace is a bitch by the way. His 15 minutes of fame last year can attest to this. Bringing Opie and anthony back was a stupid fucking idea. those guys suck.

Posted by: watcher ()
Date: June 30, 2007 11:32AM

I disagree. Opie and Anthony are extremely funny. I have XM Radio, so I don't listen to WJFK anymore, but I remember how unfunny Don and Mike had become. And Elliott on DC-101 is a cackling idiot. Any funny line on that show gets drowned out by his fake, forced laugh. WJFK should put O and A on in morning drive, and Don and Mike in the afternoons. Or, bring back Ron and Fez. When O and A were on a 30 day suspension from XM, I got to hear a lot of Ron and Fez. Turns out, they are pretty funny.

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: June 30, 2007 12:21PM

WJFK should just dump EVERYTHING on thier rotation except don and mike and broadcast something we want to hear. I dunno get the rights to broadcast Nationals, Wizards, Capitals games or something sports talk related. Please for the love of god not more boring Yack radio. Hell they should hire people who post on this site to argue about Virginia. Or read transcripts of the posts from FX U.

Posted by: Genevieve ()
Date: June 30, 2007 02:44PM

I liked Ron and Fez, but they had some really annoying regular callers.

Posted by: JigSAW ()
Date: June 30, 2007 03:35PM

Don and Mike are the best thing on JFK by far, they will never get old. The Junkies are pretty boring most of the time, but the rest of their programming are not too bad. I would rather listen to JFK than those boring AM stations anyday.

Posted by: mikumsmukim ()
Date: June 30, 2007 05:38PM

sergeant fury says hire back The Grease, ah ga ga? at least get rid of o'reilly middays. the tens of dials turning off at 1:03pm is audible, even from under my aluminum foil helmet.

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: June 30, 2007 05:44PM

Opie & Anthony sound like two third graders.

Posted by: Nick ()
Date: June 30, 2007 06:23PM

I actually enjoy listening to the Junkies. I think they are better than Don and Mike.

Date: June 30, 2007 07:18PM

The best show the Junkies ever did was a while back when they were on at night at got Totally HAMMERED on the air. that was GREAT radio!

oh and Opie and Anthony arent funny. They are just mean. Big differance and yes they do sound like potty mouthed 3rd graders. I agree.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2007 07:18PM by ferfux.

Posted by: JigSAW ()
Date: June 30, 2007 10:01PM

Yeah O and A do suck I have to agree, dont know what the big fuss is about over them.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: June 30, 2007 10:14PM

I've been listening to WJFK's programming for 13+ years, it was always one of the first stations I'd tune into whenever I put a radio on. But I recently upgraded to Sirius and will probably never turn that station on ever again.

It's a shame that alot of local stations will get fucked over by today's environment of regulation and piss-poor "clear channel" type management, but too fuckin bad.... I have 6 free months of Sirius and already decided that it'll be well worth paying a monthly fee for it.... regular radio just can't put out a better product than satellite.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: June 30, 2007 10:32PM

The meeper, they CAN put out a better product... but they won't. HD radio makes the broadcast quality better, and the terrastations can pay more money to talent and get the big names.

They choose not to use what resources they have to enhance the product they sell, so they are starting to lose some busniess to satellite radio companies, who can and do use avilable resources to put out a better product.

Posted by: Rowsdower ()
Date: June 30, 2007 10:56PM

Terrestrial radio in the Washington Metropolitan Area is a desolate wasteland. Do yourself a favor and go to the library and get a book on tape/CD about any subject you want. You won't return to the radio.

Date: June 30, 2007 11:13PM

They choose not to use what resources they have to enhance the product they sell,

Interesting statement, you're not wrong. A good question might be "why are these ground stations failing to offer things that the market wants?"

I don't have the answer, and quite frankly I got a few in me right now....

all I know is local radio sorta sucks but I've been totally hooked on my Sirius radio all week

Cheers

Posted by: duh ()
Date: June 30, 2007 11:33PM

Turn the fucking radio off....and learn how to think for yourselves! Get lost in your own thoughts. WAY better than letting Don and Opie do your thinking for you!
None of 'em are particularly funny....just to morons that haven't a clue.

Oh, and hang up the cell phone too....how many goo-goos from junior do you have to hear??

THINK....get lost in your thoughts...you might be surprised!!

Posted by: erik ()
Date: July 01, 2007 12:05AM

duh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Turn the fucking radio off....and learn how to
> think for yourselves! Get lost in your own
> thoughts. WAY better than letting Don and Opie do
> your thinking for you!
> None of 'em are particularly funny....just to
> morons that haven't a clue.
>
> Oh, and hang up the cell phone too....how many
> goo-goos from junior do you have to hear??
>
> THINK....get lost in your thoughts...you might be
> surprised!!

Shut up. We all try to squeegee the third eye.

Date: July 02, 2007 01:47AM

I agree duh shut the fuck up. What the hell do you even know about radio, except taht you probably have a face for it. I wouldnt let Opie and ANthony think for me even if i was as dumb as pgens. They are morons that dont have a clue, your right. Get lost in my thoughts? Id rather get lost in pgen's moms panties.

Posted by: stinkypoon ()
Date: July 02, 2007 10:37AM

D&M is the only good thing going for this station; without them they'd close down. And Ron and Fez should never have left.

Date: July 02, 2007 11:47AM

stinkypoon Wrote:
> D&M is the only good thing going for this station;
> without them they'd close down. And Ron and Fez
> should never have left.

I caught them on Satellite and they are still funny as ever. I'm sure WJFK has missed a thousand+ funny moments from those 2. D&M is absolutely the only thing good left on that station.

Posted by: J ()
Date: July 02, 2007 04:29PM

If I were to turn off the radio when I'm driving, and get lost in my own thoughts. A lot of innocent people might get hurt. I need something to drown out the voices in my head telling me to do unspeakable acts. Cut me off in traffic? Well the voices say I should follow you home, just to see where you live, and come back a week later, at night probably around 4:30 in the morning. Bring some duct tape, rope, a shovel, and for some reason a home enema kit. The voices are sick, sick I say!

Posted by: Fairfax MF---er ()
Date: July 02, 2007 08:55PM

Don & Mike are the best thing on JFK, but I get the feeling after Frieda's death and the whole FCC crackdown bullshit, D&M are doing what they have to to finish out their contract. I think it manifested itself when D&M got pulled after bitching about their studios in Rockville and has continued to go down since.

The Junkies just aren't very entertaining. First, there are too many of them. Only one or two of them have any talent. The other two are just hangers-on. Second, they don't have any good bits. Third, as much as they try to be like Howard (sending the Latin Donkey into a boxing ring, for instance), they lack the inventiveness or the balls to pull it off effectively.

The rest of JFK is unlistenable - from O'Reilly to those assholes in the evening who are trying to be Loveline. Pitiful. Awful. Sucky.

Posted by: Buttmunch ()
Date: July 03, 2007 12:57AM

The junkies are cool

Date: July 03, 2007 01:18AM

The junkies are what they say they are, pure junk shit.

Date: July 03, 2007 01:22AM

They've been pretty hard to listen to for the last year or so. They dedicate more time per show to gambling-related topics than shows that specialize in those topics.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2007 01:22AM by RESton Peace.

Date: July 03, 2007 09:50AM

I've actually started to listen to Tony Kornheiser over the Junkies in the morning. Here are what the Junkies discuss pretty much every day:

Online Gambling
Getting their Poles Smoked
Who's a Donkey
BDK's Movie Reviews
Some Non-DC-Area Sports Team Nobody here Follows

That's pretty much a day in the life of the Junkies. BORING.

Date: July 03, 2007 08:59PM

duh Wrote:
> Turn the fucking radio off....and learn how to
> think for yourselves! Get lost in your own
> thoughts. WAY better than letting Don and Opie do
> your thinking for you!
> None of 'em are particularly funny....just to
> morons that haven't a clue.
>
> Oh, and hang up the cell phone too....how many
> goo-goos from junior do you have to hear??
>
> THINK....get lost in your thoughts...you might be
> surprised!!

Dude, listening to don and mike tell a story over the radio you use your imagination to visualize what they are talking about and who they met. Its the same as listening to a book on tape. Either way its theater of the mind and you ARE using your Brain/Imigination

Posted by: TRICKIE ()
Date: July 04, 2007 01:22PM

I am starting to like the Junkies more and more. I am getting real bored with Don and Mike. Last night I heard another show on WJFK called Unzipped. It was hosted by a Michelle with a whiny voice and some guy whose name was unpronouncable or something weird. Is that show any good? Or are they just trying out for the time slot?

trickie

Date: July 04, 2007 01:42PM

Michelle with a whiny voice and some guy whose name was unpronouncable or something weird. Is that show any good?

I started a thread about that a few months back. That show is atrociously uninteresting.

Date: July 05, 2007 03:39PM

Fairfax MF---er Wrote:
> I've actually started to listen to Tony Kornheiser
> over the Junkies in the morning.

That guy is awesome. I'll turn him off when he's talking about basketball, but the guy is hysterical in a very mature and educated way. He tells good stories, and has on some great interviews. And his co-hosts are tame and good as well.

As far as more serious political discussions, I really like Chris Core on 630am. He inspires very honest and open-minded debates and ideas, something a large portion of his conservative audience hates.

Posted by: Schrute ()
Date: July 05, 2007 07:54PM

If they only had the true radio genius - King of all Media, Howard Stern - back on maybe they would be good again. Sirius rules, Terrestrial radio is intolerable. Hoo Hoo Robin and Bobba Booey to you all!

Date: July 05, 2007 08:07PM

I recently got Sirius just for that reason, and the Stern show is funnier than ever. Getting up early is no longer a chore anymore now that I know I can tune into and hear great radio again. I can't believe I wasted a year and half listening to the crap on JFK every day. It's also great they stream his show on the internet 24/7. Sirius's punk rock channel "Punk 29" is also awesome.

No way terrestrial radio can compete with this service. I think it's a great value.

Schrute Wrote:
> If they only had the true radio genius - King of
> all Media, Howard Stern - back on maybe they would
> be good again. Sirius rules, Terrestrial radio is
> intolerable. Hoo Hoo Robin and Bobba Booey to you
> all!

Posted by: watcher ()
Date: July 05, 2007 08:10PM

On the rare occasion that Stern actually comes to work, he might be funny. For someone getting as much money to entertain as he is, you would think he would come to work more often. He invented everything, though. Just listen to him. He'll tell you. .........yawn.......

Date: July 05, 2007 08:25PM

yeah dude has more days off than Santa clause

Date: July 05, 2007 09:13PM

For someone getting as much money to entertain as he is, you would think he would come to work

Man, I love the Master Tape Theater shit they do on Friday's when he's not there, some of the old stuff they play I haven't heard in 15+ years, I think it's fucking great.

Posted by: nothingman49 ()
Date: July 06, 2007 12:30PM

JFK just gave out there new line up

The Junkies
O and A
Jim Rom
Don and Mike
Big O and dukes

I think not having Orielly on any more was the greatest move ever!!! This is the no Spin Zone, ok.

Date: July 06, 2007 12:44PM

nothingman49 Wrote:
> JFK just gave out there new line up
>
> The Junkies
> O and A
> Jim Rom
> Don and Mike
> Big O and dukes
>
>
> I think not having Orielly on any more was the
> greatest move ever!!! This is the no Spin Zone,
> ok.

Bill-O had a great comedic value

Date: July 06, 2007 01:33PM

That sanctimonious whoremaster was a bitch, good riddance.

Date: July 09, 2007 04:56PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> Michelle with a whiny voice and some guy whose
> name was unpronouncable or something weird. Is
> that show any good?
>
> I started a thread about that a few months back.
> That show is atrociously uninteresting.

It's Loveline, but with untalented people.

Posted by: allivant ()
Date: July 10, 2007 12:01PM

Junkies are the best thing on the station imo. O&A aren't that funny. I still listen to try and give them a shot. The only reason to listen is for guests like Bill Burr and Patrice. OReilly was interesting but I won't cry about him being gone. D&M are ok. Michelle and Checkaway or whatever his name is are pretty boring. Big O & Dukes are annoying even though they're the Junkies Jr. If I want to listen to the Junks, I'll listen to them in the morning or podcasts.

vaburbia.com

Date: July 10, 2007 04:13PM

O&A are a lot like Stern in that they mostly talk about their own ring of d-list celebs that nobody other than the devoted listener knows about. D&M, while on and off, still manage to put on a pretty engaging show. You have to give them props for changing their platform after the FCC turned gestapo thus keeping it clean(er) and still funny. Or maybe I just like them because of their short patience and intolerance with their awful callers.

Posted by: WashingToneLocian ()
Date: July 14, 2007 12:14PM

I understand now that Michael Hughes has successfully destroyed WJFK, they have him programming The Globe. This would explain why you don't hear the Shins or Death Cab for Cutie anymore, but you are getting lots of "Reelin' in the Years." Nothing spells radio death like "Reelin' in the Years."

Date: July 14, 2007 02:24PM

Nothing spells radio death like "Reelin' in the Years."

hahaha, Steely Dan really does suck...lol

Date: July 14, 2007 03:15PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> Nothing spells radio death like "Reelin' in the
> Years."
>
> hahaha, Steely Dan really does suck...lol

Don't get me wrong. I don't mind Steely Dan. I just know they had more than one hit and I don't need to hear the same friggin' over-played song from them every 20 minutes.

Speaking of which, Kenny Loggin's Footloose, I've got my eye on you buster.

Date: July 16, 2007 12:34PM

If I have to hear that Steely Dan song one more time, I will lose my mind. I didn't like it ten years ago, and it's the most awful and overplayed song on radio.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2007 12:34PM by stinkypoon.

Posted by: angelus42774 ()
Date: August 15, 2007 08:05AM

Don Geronimo is the most egomanical piece of garbage there is going in the world today. The guy acts like she craps rainbows, and the sun rises and sets on his very precious schedule. Less we not forget half of their schtick is copied directly from HOWARD STERN, including his "I have had it with this radio station and the equipment". Dude, you guys are two fat losers, who would not be missed if they shuffled off to the radio graveyard. Put up all the wannabe GQ pictures you want on the side of bus' Mr Geronimo/Sorce, nice to see you were so sadded at the lost of a loved one, it took you 6 months to find a new girlsfriend you jerk...

Posted by: Nothingman49 ()
Date: August 15, 2007 10:14AM

I think you need a Hug....

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: August 18, 2007 03:07PM

angelus42774 Wrote:
> The guy acts like she craps rainbows

Nothingman49 Wrote:
> I think you need a Hug....

LOL!

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Date: August 18, 2007 05:13PM

It does seem kind of strange how six months after his wife of 20-some years tragically dies that he has hooked up with someone in what appears to be a long-term relationship. Wondering minds want to know...

Posted by: angelus42774 ()
Date: August 21, 2007 07:54AM

I do need one, only if your name is Kristen Bell, Jessican Alba, or that girl who plays UGLY BETTY's sister.

Seriously, the guy just rubs me the wrong way with how arrogant he is, and the way he treats staff at JFK. Also, the signs on the side of mass transit in the DC METRO area where he went all GQ is annoying - LOL!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.