HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: 123AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 3
Metro Construction [picture thread]
Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: August 08, 2010 08:13PM

A friend of mine who used to live around here asked me to snap some pics of the metro construction thru Tysons Corner, so I went out for an hour earlier and took some. Figured I'd throw them in a thread in case people haven't seen what's been done to the area over the past few months. I live in Tysons and it's sorta interesting to see this stuff as it progresses.

First pic is where the Silver Line departs from the Toll Road and begins to follow 123. Second pic is where the future "Tysons East" station will be.

Attachments:
IMG_2407.jpg
IMG_2408.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Metro Construction [picture thread]
Date: August 08, 2010 08:14PM

Pictures from atop the parking deck of Tysons I. This area's ground central because it's where the metro construction intersects with the HOT lane construction.

The third picture seems to be their equipment lot, and will be the future site of the "Tysons Central 123" station. Very original name.
Attachments:
IMG_2410.jpg
IMG_2414.jpg
IMG_2417.jpg

Date: August 08, 2010 08:15PM

Route 7 is all torn up. It won't be long before the concrete towers will be constructed here.

Attachments:
IMG_2420.jpg
IMG_2421.jpg

Date: August 08, 2010 08:16PM

You can see the steel track deck from West Falls Church in the first pic.

Attachments:
IMG_2426.jpg
IMG_2429.jpg
IMG_2430.jpg

Posted by: Fuk them monkeys ()
Date: August 08, 2010 08:23PM

wow

i moved out to loudon and havnt been to tysons in a couple years

man they are really tearing that place up for a fucking metro

take the bus assholes we dont want those anacostia 70 people niggers fighting in our neighborhoods..

Posted by: tomahawk ()
Date: August 08, 2010 08:54PM

After hearing this talked to death for years, I can't believe they're finally building it. Cool to document it with photos. Should create a nice before and after gallery.

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: August 08, 2010 09:10PM

Thanks for the pics Meeper. I'm sure you love living by all that construction noise.

Blessed are the murderous.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: August 08, 2010 09:25PM

Nice pictures. I have driven though there a few times and with all the lanes randomly ending and whatnot I have to concentrate on driving and I dont have time to look at whats going on

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: August 08, 2010 09:34PM

I love how they've completely ass-raped NoVa with this project. The HOT lanes are another headache entirely.

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Date: August 08, 2010 09:36PM

I haven't heard any noise at all. That's what's sorta weird. As the weeks go by, you just notice this stuff popping up. 123 and 7 have been ripped up since last summer, but it's only within the past 2-3 months that you really see true progress. It actually seems like the HOT lanes project causes most of the mess (swaths of trees are gone, overpasses closed to be replaced). No noise, but my biggest "inconvenience" is the way the keep re-routing streets like 7 and 123. It will be nice when they're finally finished and straighten the roads out again back to normal.

The most impressive construction can be seen from the Orange line as you're pulling into WFC. The massive fly away ramps where the Silver line & toll road depart from 66 look amazing (I'm a big fan of "Modern Marvels" type stuff). The gigantic crane-machine that lays the steel train deck restores my faith in modern science and engineering.

It's hard to get a pic though cuz you can only see it from the train.

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: August 09, 2010 09:10AM

Yah, the HOT lanes are pretty amazing. They basically clear cut an entire stand of old growth oaks and poplars. Here today and gone the next day.

Posted by: formerhick76 ()
Date: August 09, 2010 09:25AM

WAAH! I want everything the same as when I was 25!

Date: August 09, 2010 09:57AM

It does look like shit around the beltway where they ripped up all the trees. It's weird the way you can see how dense the construction is around there- the trees at least made it look like there was a little undeveloped land in Tysons. Now from 7 you can see clear across the beltway and see how there are townhomes near SAIC that are basically built right up against the highway.

Do a 360 on this link to mapview. Pretty much every tree you can see is gone. Now it's all exposed dirt and buildings.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=38.913509,-77.21539&spn=0,0.022209&z=16&layer=c&cbll=38.908915,-77.217459&panoid=cTlrA80lm7B4VaSMO3bX6w&cbp=12,194.07,,0,0.48

ITRADE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yah, the HOT lanes are pretty amazing. They
> basically clear cut an entire stand of old growth
> oaks and poplars. Here today and gone the next
> day.

Posted by: noise pollution ()
Date: August 09, 2010 10:08AM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> It does look like shit around the beltway where
> they ripped up all the trees. It's weird the way
> you can see how dense the construction is around
> there- the trees at least made it look like there
> was a little undeveloped land in Tysons. Now from
> 7 you can see clear across the beltway and see how
> there are townhomes near SAIC that are basically
> built right up against the highway.
>
> Do a 360 on this link to mapview. Pretty much
> every tree you can see is gone. Now it's all
> exposed dirt and buildings.
>
> http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=38.91
> 3509,-77.21539&spn=0,0.022209&z=16&layer=c&cbll=38
> .908915,-77.217459&panoid=cTlrA80lm7B4VaSMO3bX6w&c
> bp=12,194.07,,0,0.48
>
> ITRADE Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Yah, the HOT lanes are pretty amazing. They
> > basically clear cut an entire stand of old
> growth
> > oaks and poplars. Here today and gone the next
> > day.

what a great way to lose value on your home
goodluck with the sale!

"Convenient access to the beltway"

Posted by: Dr. Octagon ()
Date: August 09, 2010 10:20AM

Am I the only one that DOESN'T want Metro to expand like this? We already have enough shoppers at Tyson's, we don't need to make the place any more crowded. And I couldn't give a fuck about those people in Loudon County clamoring for metro stations. You bought a house out there, deal with it.

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: August 09, 2010 10:26AM

3 words - urban fucking sprawl.

Posted by: Gonads & Strife ()
Date: August 09, 2010 10:28AM

Metro was absolutely necessary in Tysons and Loudoun, but I don't think all of this above-ground crap was needed. Sure the metro will bring MS13 and other hood rats & homeless into our area but... wait... I forgot which side I was arguing for.

Date: August 09, 2010 10:36AM

I think the line to Dulles was indeed a necessity. It's stupid to have a huge international airport not connected to the local rail system.

As far as it bringing thugs and MS-13 into Tysons, I doubt it. Nice places like Ballston or Clarendon have metro stations, and you don't see that type of crowd hanging out around there. Do you really think gangstas will be attracted to stuff like Saks Fifth Avenue or Crate & Barrel in Tysons?

"Yo fuck LL Bean, I be going to Lord & Taylor's, beeyotch! PF Chang in da house!"

Date: August 09, 2010 10:45AM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> As far as it bringing thugs and MS-13 into Tysons,
> I doubt it. Nice places like Ballston or
> Clarendon have metro stations, and you don't see
> that type of crowd hanging out around there.

On the weekends - yes (as far as the undesireables are concerned). There is already a healthy population of douchebags and wannabes hanging out in/around the mall. If the people living around Springfield Mall had metro access to Tysons...which do you think they'll choose? Mark my words. There will be a parking lot stabbing at Tysons Mall within the first 60 days of service.

Homeless... I used to work nights in Ballston about a block down from the metro and they've got a lot of homeless in the area. You don't see them often because they hide out so as not to get chased off by the cops for trespassing, but they're there and they use the metro to get from place to place. Tysons may not see this problem only because there aren't as many warm places to hide out where rent-a-cops or real cops can't easily find you. But during the day you'll probably see 'em out there begging for your toll road change. "Sorry, brah, I use E-ZPass!"

Date: August 09, 2010 10:58AM

I work in Ballston and would never consider the place to have a homeless problem. There are a few vagrants, but I always figured it was because that church over near Virginia Square has a soup kitchen. They get food there and then hang out in Oakland Park.

I was gonna bet you $100 there won't be a stabbing within 60 days of the metro opening, but you'd probably cheat and go out and stab somebody on your own just so I'd have to pay up. :)

Posted by: Zak ()
Date: August 09, 2010 11:02AM

"On the weekends - yes (as far as the undesireables are concerned)..... "

I 100% agree! I'm not racist by any means, but I have noticed, say, after 6 PM, Tysons mall gets very "dark" inside. Also, in the last couple of years, there has been an increase in the "Maryland" crowd. So far, it's been fine. Everyone's been well behaved and conform to Tyson's Corner standards (no yo-yo gangster stuff).

Now, once this Metro is completed, we may see more behavior typical of the present day Springfield Mall or Whiteflint Mall.

Looks like I may have to upgrade to Tysons II, if I can afford it....lol

Date: August 09, 2010 11:05AM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> I was gonna bet you $100 there won't be a stabbing
> within 60 days of the metro opening, but you'd
> probably cheat and go out and stab somebody on
> your own just so I'd have to pay up. :)

GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!!!

Posted by: Yabels ()
Date: August 09, 2010 11:08AM

Zak Wrote:
> Everyone's been well behaved and conform to
> Tyson's Corner standards (no yo-yo gangster
> stuff).

That Yo-Yo gang is particularly dangerous. You don't want to fuck with them when they start doing "walk the dog" or heaven fobid, "cat's cradle"...

Date: August 09, 2010 11:12AM

their 'round the world attack is effective as well

Posted by: Zak ()
Date: August 09, 2010 11:12AM

Yabels, how on Earth did you know?

The last goddamn thing I want to deal with when I'm selecting the latest Abercrombie shirt to purchase are the flying yo-yos in my face. The cat's cradle is particularly dangerous....

Date: August 09, 2010 12:28PM

G & S, Meeper, I have seen homeless people sleeping on the sofas and chairs in some of the less traveled wings of Tysons. I'm surprised security didn't get rid of them when they walked in, but they were there.

It will be interesting to see if the metro brings all those loitering wannabe thugs that used to congregate at Springfield.

Date: August 09, 2010 12:30PM

GET OFF MY SOFA YOU HOMELESS MOTHER FUCKER!!!!!!

blart.jpg

Posted by: yes ()
Date: August 09, 2010 02:41PM

It looks so awesome. Megalithic structures.

Date: August 09, 2010 02:45PM

I can hardly wait to watch the new train go by while I'm sitting in traffic.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: August 09, 2010 07:18PM

Hot Lanes, Tysons Outer Loop
Attachments:
hotlanes2 (3).jpg

Date: August 09, 2010 08:59PM

I don't understand all this business about thugs riding metro to get to a suburban mall.

The Springfield Metro is a fair walk from the mall, and I've never seen "gangstas" walking up from the metro. I often visit the Penn Camera there, so I see it often.

I think it's because the neighborhood around the Springfield mall has become ghettoish, and the thugs are mostly locals. Plus, the mall is financially failing and there's not much shopper traffic anymore. A big open parking lot near a failing mall is a natural hangout for thugs.

Pentagon City has a metro stop right in the lower level and it's not ghetto.

Posted by: testament ()
Date: August 09, 2010 09:04PM

tomahawk Wrote:
>
> Pentagon City has a metro stop right in the lower
> level and it's not ghetto.

You, obviously, have not been there in a while.

Posted by: Mofo ()
Date: August 09, 2010 09:33PM

I am very glad they are building the metro expansion. Metro may suck goat balls most the time but it beats driving most the time. The population of this area is only increasing and the infrastructure around here is already maxed. Not to mention the amount of jobs this expansion is creating for workers and local businesses. A station at Wiehle will take me all of 5 minutes to drive to so I may be biased as a Reston property owner. As far as thugs etc, let them come there's already a fare share in Reston/Herndon and I'm well armed.

Date: August 09, 2010 10:40PM

Mofo Wrote:
> As far as thugs etc, let them come there's
> already a fare share in Reston/Herndon and I'm
> well armed.

-
Attachments:
big2563963.jpg

Posted by: transportation ()
Date: August 09, 2010 11:09PM

the metro should have run all the way out to gainsville not dulles airport and 66 should have been widened a few more lanes. In my opinion 66 is the root of all traffic problems. I think heavy traffic on the toll road is from people trying to avoid 66.

Date: August 09, 2010 11:11PM

yeah but that heavy traffic is playing for the metro contruction

Posted by: Bounce House ()
Date: August 09, 2010 11:48PM

Not hot. Where are the titties in these pics?

Posted by: snowdenscold ()
Date: August 10, 2010 12:25AM

transportation Wrote:
> the metro should have run all the way out to
> gainsville not dulles airport and 66 should have
> been widened a few more lanes. In my opinion 66 is
> the root of all traffic problems. I think heavy
> traffic on the toll road is from people trying to
> avoid 66.

I agree that I-66 is absolutely terrible and one of my biggest peeves about Fairfax County. If it's something-o-clock on a day of the week - you'll probably come to a stop on 66.

When we were looking to buy a house, we deliberately looked at the 267 corridor and into Loudoun, as opposed to the 66 or 95 corridors into Prince William based on terrible traffic (not limited to rush hour)

Posted by: Tim45 ()
Date: August 10, 2010 12:39AM

Thanks for the pics. That was a brave thing to do. Lucky some driver with his head up his ass didnt run you over. I have lived in Northern Va for a few years and I see people all the time just run over street signs and hit parked cars. They get out and look like how did that happen.

Date: August 10, 2010 07:56AM

I parked in parking lots and walked on sidewalks for the pics. I'm not crazy enough to pull over and walk along the shoulder of any of those roads. They actually built a new widened sidewalk near Pike 7 Plaza as part of the construction. But with all those lanes of traffic rumbling down 7, it is a bit nerve wracking walking right next to it.

Tim45 Wrote:
> Thanks for the pics. That was a brave thing to do.
> Lucky some driver with his head up his ass didnt
> run you over. I have lived in Northern Va for a
> few years and I see people all the time just run
> over street signs and hit parked cars. They get
> out and look like how did that happen.

Date: August 10, 2010 08:16AM

Problem w/ extending the Metro out to Fair Lakes or even Manassas is that you'd eventually have to do something like build a third set of tracks to handle the increased passenger volume.

I also don't know how the Silver Line will hit traffic on the Orange Line. Maybe @ WFC they will have two express cars to Rosslyn (for folks going to the Blue Line or points in the District) for each car going through Arlington (for folks going to points in Arlington along the Orange Line.) Anyone have any word on how they're going to do that? In theory you could have express Silver Line trains starting @ Rosslyn and then heading out to WFC.

Also, if I were a thug intent on hanging out, harassing people, etc., why would I ride the Metro for an hour to get to Tysons or Loudoun when the folks I have beefs with and acquire drugs from are already nearby?

My wife and I had our first condo in the Bentana Park area of Reston which is less than 10 minutes from the Wiehle Avenue station. We're slightly regretting our decision to bail.

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: August 10, 2010 08:16AM

I saw the construction on 267 earlier this Summer and thought the carnival had set up there. Some really freaky looking machinery.

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Date: August 10, 2010 08:29AM

formerhick76 Wrote:
>
> I also don't know how the Silver Line will hit traffic on the Orange Line. Maybe @ WFC they will have two express cars to Rosslyn

The Silver Line won't go to WFC. Riders will have to get off at East Falls Church and transfer onto the Orange line. I don't think express trains would be possible because they're not expanding the number of tracks along the current Orange line, and I'm not sure there's any space to do that.

Posted by: snowdenscold ()
Date: August 10, 2010 08:39AM

I would like to think the Silver Line would bypass everything from EFC to Rosslyn. Otherwise, it's going to be like a 2 hour metro ride from the Ashburn stop.

How they do this I'm not sure about. It doesn't seem like there's enough space to widen the tracks, so the only thing I can think of is that at each station (where the track does widen to at least 3), it could then bypass any Orange line trains that were pulled in there. The logistics of that seem pretty complicated though.

Posted by: Making_stuff ()
Date: August 10, 2010 09:28AM

It's crazy watching those pillars go up in the Tyson's area. Never thought I'd be here long enough to see the metro come all the way out.

Date: August 10, 2010 10:45AM

It will be interesting to see the construction that tears up everything for Wiehle Avenue's station.

Posted by: zipping ()
Date: August 10, 2010 11:48AM

I live in the area and beside the eyesore, there's not that much noise. The most impressive equipment is what I call the "zipper" on the Dulles Access road. It looks like it is stitching the concrete slabs on top of the pilings that's already up.

Posted by: John Paul Bickel ()
Date: August 10, 2010 10:48PM

Hey rickies the silly Silver Line will go all the way to and from to the money metal Stadium-Armory station. East Falls Church is the other transfer point. There's plenty of system capacity because Silver Line trains will serve East Falls Church all the way to Stadium-Armory just like Orange Line trains do now. It was part of the silly system plan originally. I'm gonna take it on my way to the Borgata.

Money. Not a showwwww.

Posted by: Pentagon City Mall ()
Date: August 11, 2010 12:14AM

testament Wrote:
> tomahawk Wrote:
> -----
> .
> >
> > Pentagon City has a metro stop right in the
> lower
> > level and it's not ghetto.
>
>
> You, obviously, have not been there in a while.

Like, in 10 or more years. I have not felt that I was at risk there, but it certainly draws an inordinate number of blacks from elsewhere who are not necessarily there to purchase goods from the stores.

Date: August 11, 2010 12:58AM

formerhick76 Wrote:
> Also, if I were a thug intent on hanging out,
> harassing people, etc., why would I ride the Metro
> for an hour to get to Tysons or Loudoun when the
> folks I have beefs with and acquire drugs from are
> already nearby?

Exactly. Thugs don't pay money to ride a train for 45 minutes to go cause trouble in the 'burbs when their stomping grounds are within walking distance. Hell, I have a well-paying job and I hate paying the extortionary fare, even when I have to ride for business.

Date: August 11, 2010 07:33AM

If a handful of dopes stop coming to Tysons because they're afraid of "thugs" at a high-end shopping mall, so be it. Being able to take Metro to Dulles will be well worth that price.

tomahawk Wrote:
>
> Exactly. Thugs don't pay money to ride a train for
> 45 minutes to go cause trouble in the 'burbs when
> their stomping grounds are within walking
> distance. Hell, I have a well-paying job and I
> hate paying the extortionary fare, even when I
> have to ride for business.

Date: August 11, 2010 08:48AM

Perhaps, but remember, Dulles is about as much of a cluster fuck as Metro is.

Date: August 11, 2010 09:07AM

ITRADE Wrote:
> Perhaps, but remember, Dulles is about as much of
> a cluster fuck as Metro is.

I only fly a few times a year, but the last few times I've actually had good experiences out of IAD. I've had some really bad ones though.

One thing I can say for sure is that driving and parking at Dulles can be fucking ridiculous. The last time I did that will be the last time I did that.

Date: August 11, 2010 10:16AM

Thats why I fly out of National - unless its an international flight...

Date: August 11, 2010 10:46AM

National's a much more efficient airport, but IAD always has a bigger and better selection of non-stop service to LAS or LAX, which is usually where I'm heading if I need to fly.

I always check DCA first, but end finding something better outta Dulles.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2010 10:47AM by TheMeeper.

Date: August 11, 2010 10:54AM

It may be non-stop, but given the extra hassles of Dulles (security, baggage claim, walks to boarding gates), I find the time savings of the non-stop to be negligible in comparison to National. So, I wind up going to National for 90% of my flights.

Date: August 11, 2010 10:57AM

ITRADE Wrote:
> It may be non-stop, but given the extra hassles of
> Dulles (security, baggage claim, walks to boarding
> gates), I find the time savings of the non-stop to
> be negligible in comparison to National. So, I
> wind up going to National for 90% of my flights.

They need to have a minimum of 4 security lines at Dulles... Having only one or two open at a time is insane. BWI is like that too.

Date: August 11, 2010 11:03AM

Precisely. Doesn't matter how much status you have, the lines at IAD are often much worse than DCA.

Date: August 11, 2010 11:21AM

formerhick76 Wrote:
> Problem w/ extending the Metro out to Fair Lakes
> or even Manassas is that you'd eventually have to
> do something like build a third set of tracks to
> handle the increased passenger volume.

Metro has been and will always be a two track system. The only place Metro utilizes a third track (as a relay) is at WFC because of the train yard and at National Airport because it used to be the terminus of the yellow/blue line. A three track system makes absolutely zero fiscal sense at all for WMATA.

> I also don't know how the Silver Line will hit
> traffic on the Orange Line. Maybe @ WFC they will
> have two express cars to Rosslyn (for folks going
> to the Blue Line or points in the District) for
> each car going through Arlington (for folks going
> to points in Arlington along the Orange Line.)
> Anyone have any word on how they're going to do
> that? In theory you could have express Silver Line
> trains starting @ Rosslyn and then heading out to
> WFC.

The Silver line won't go to go to WFC; it will use the orange line tracks and then branch off after EFC, but before WFC. There will not be an express train at all.

> Also, if I were a thug intent on hanging out,
> harassing people, etc., why would I ride the Metro
> for an hour to get to Tysons or Loudoun when the
> folks I have beefs with and acquire drugs from are
> already nearby?

Not true. Vienna has one of the highest ( or highest) rates of crime ( break ins, thefts, sexual assaults, etc.) of the whole system simply because it is at the end of the orange line. In addition, drugs are smuggled through there as well from the inner city as evidenced by the many 'busts' there. More DC area drug profits are made in the suburbs than in the city. People will do the same with the Silver line, especially since Dulles airport will be an endless and great source for breaking into cars, stealing luggage, swindling tourists, and smuggling drugs.

> My wife and I had our first condo in the Bentana
> Park area of Reston which is less than 10 minutes
> from the Wiehle Avenue station. We're slightly
> regretting our decision to bail.

Agreed

Date: August 11, 2010 12:21PM

AndThat'sWhat'sUp! Wrote:
>
> Not true. Vienna has one of the highest ( or highest) rates of crime

Where can you find crime stats by station?

Date: August 11, 2010 12:52PM

Vienna ranked higher in crime than any DC station, highest in VA, and was second only to PG county overall!

http://www.wmata.com/about_metro/board_of_directors/board_docs/091108_4AMTPD.pdf

Date: August 11, 2010 01:21PM

> Metro has been and will always be a two track
> system. The only place Metro utilizes a third
> track (as a relay) is at WFC because of the train
> yard and at National Airport because it used to be
> the terminus of the yellow/blue line. A three
> track system makes absolutely zero fiscal sense at
> all for WMATA.

Which is why extending it to Manassas or Fredericksburg isn't going to work, unless the idea is to not have folks ride it. :P

> The Silver line won't go to go to WFC; it will use
> the orange line tracks and then branch off after
> EFC, but before WFC. There will not be an express
> train at all.
>
>

> Not true. Vienna has one of the highest ( or
> highest) rates of crime ( break ins, thefts,
> sexual assaults, etc.) of the whole system simply
> because it is at the end of the orange line. In
> addition, drugs are smuggled through there as well
> from the inner city as evidenced by the many
> 'busts' there. More DC area drug profits are made
> in the suburbs than in the city. People will do
> the same with the Silver line, especially since
> Dulles airport will be an endless and great source
> for breaking into cars, stealing luggage,
> swindling tourists, and smuggling drugs.

I guess you can run a "mule" with a clean record out to a sub-distributor based around Vienna. And yes, agreed that the DC drug trade requires suburban money to function.

On the other hand, are there really armies of gangsters using Vienna as their personal litter box? Or are these rap battles in Magruder's back lot having a more sinister purpose?

Looking at your link:
1. The vehicle breakin numbers appear to be comparing line endpoints for the most part. From this, we can deduce that Maryland is a shithole.
2. I'm guessing the crime numbers are absolute numbers -- in that case we'd need ridership numbers to put it in full perspective.

Date: August 11, 2010 01:55PM

It's overall ranking based on reported Part 1 Crime statistics by Station. Vienna is third only bested by 2 PG county stations; so, yes, the PG part of MD is a shithole. However, Vienna didn't fare much better, since it ranked worst out of all of Metro's DC and VA stations overall. I know there are way shittier parts to DC than Vienna, so, if this crime travels to Vienna, it will most certainly come to Dulles airport as well.

2008 YTD Top Ten
Metrorail Stations
Ranked by Part 1 Crime

1. New Carrollton (44)
2. Largo Town Center (38)
3. Vienna (36)
4. College Park (33)
5. Addison Road (32)
6. Suitland (30)
7. Southern Avenue (30)
8. Gallery Place (25)
9. Greenbelt (25)
10. Franconia-Springfield (25)

Date: August 11, 2010 02:00PM

Interesting that many of those stations are end of line stations

New Carrollton
Largo
Vienna
Greenbelt
Franconia

Surprised not to see more out of Huntington.

Date: August 11, 2010 02:06PM

What do the numbers in parentheses signify? It lists Vienna at 36. 36 what?

Date: August 11, 2010 07:23PM

I wonder if the crime rate at Vienna is more due to sleeping homeless donks who cause a problem when the hurting door-opener tells him to leave the money metal rail car at the last stop of the night.

Or maybe because money Vienna is so hurting busy all the time and it's regular pickpockets.

Borgata. It's a show.

Date: September 23, 2010 08:01AM

The Monster that is eating Tysons.
Attachments:
Monster1.JPG

Date: September 23, 2010 08:18AM

Radiophile Wrote:
>
> The Monster that is eating Tysons.

Yeah, I noticed the big yellow thing moving thru about 2 weeks ago. If I have time over the weekend I might snap a few pics from the same angles in my first post, it will be interesting to compare them and see the progress.

Posted by: PArking ()
Date: September 23, 2010 08:25AM

ITRADE Wrote:
> Interesting that many of those stations are end of
> line stations
>
> New Carrollton
> Largo
> Vienna
> Greenbelt
> Franconia
>
> Surprised not to see more out of Huntington.

One word...Cars. Most of the crime is from car theft or theft from cars. More cars more crime. Agreed Huntington is a surprise.

Date: September 30, 2010 07:31AM

Here is the machine at work

Date: October 02, 2010 09:47PM

Been almost 8 weeks since my original post and had my camera with me around noon today.

Construction on the Tysons Blvd bridge was in full force today.
Attachments:
1.jpg

Date: October 02, 2010 09:48PM

You can see both "zipper" machines, one on the Toll Road and one 123.
Attachments:
2.jpg

Date: October 02, 2010 09:48PM

Future home of the Tysons Central station. You can see the retaining walls to the left. This also looks like it's their main parking lot and staging point. They've had a make-shift concrete facility here for more than a year.
Attachments:
3.jpg

Date: October 02, 2010 09:49PM

Closer shot of the 123/Toll Road interchange. You can see the new soundwall they're building along the Beltway.

Attachments:
4.jpg

Posted by: Slim Pickens Jenkins ()
Date: October 04, 2010 08:01PM

> It's overall ranking based on reported Part 1
> Crime statistics by Station. Vienna is third only
> bested by 2 PG county stations; so, yes, the PG
> part of MD is a shithole. However, Vienna didn't
> fare much better, since it ranked worst out of all
> of Metro's DC and VA stations overall. I know
> there are way shittier parts to DC than Vienna,
> so, if this crime travels to Vienna, it will most
> certainly come to Dulles airport as well.
>
>
> 2008 YTD Top Ten
> Metrorail Stations
> Ranked by Part 1 Crime
>
> 1. New Carrollton (44) BLACK
> 2. Largo Town Center (38) BLACK
> 3. Vienna (36) SPANISH/ASIANS/FOREIGN BLACKS
> 4. College Park (33) BLACK/SPANISH
> 5. Addison Road (32) MEGA BLACK
> 6. Suitland (30) MEGA BLACK
> 7. Southern Avenue (30) MEGA BLACK
> 8. Gallery Place (25) ASIANS?
> 9. Greenbelt (25) BLACK/SPANISH
> 10. Franconia-Springfield (25) BLACK/SPANISH

WHERE DO THE REST OF THE STATIONS RANK?

Posted by: chair ()
Date: October 04, 2010 10:47PM

Next time leave out the identifying captions...let people guess where the picture was taken...a sign of the times for sure.

Date: October 07, 2010 04:20PM

It is heading for the beltway. Zeus help us all!

Posted by: Conductor ()
Date: October 07, 2010 05:06PM

What a fucking mess this place is now and will be after this debacle gets rolling. A disaster of epic proportions. Still won't go where people want it to. Will take just as long with all the stupid stops and limited two-track system.

Unless they've got free wifi and a starbucks in all the stations, I'm sticking to my car. The tolls will still be cheaper than a ride on this pig.

And Metrow to LoCo??? bah! This thing is verging on being in the red now, and it's going to stay there once under. Never mind the old series 1000 cars this "new" line is getting as hand-me-downs.

Posted by: metro ()
Date: December 26, 2010 10:36PM

is there gonna be a metro in loudoun county

Date: January 16, 2011 04:06PM

Haven't snapped any new pics in awhile, so I ran out during halftime and took a few from the same locations as last summer. Much progress has been made since then. Long stretches of the track deck have been put in and both "zippers" are now here in Tysons.

-------------------------------------------------

123 near the Toll Road, home of the future Tysons East station
Attachments:
01.jpg
02.jpg

From the 6th floor parking deck of Tysons. In the forground of picture #2 you can see the newly laid track deck, and in the background you can see a long stretch of elevated track departing the Toll Road. The third picture is where the Tysons Central 123 station will be located.

Note: No children were thrown from the parking deck while I was up here.
Attachments:
03.jpg
10.jpg
05.jpg

The zipper is now all the way up to the bridge on Tysons Blvd.
Attachments:
08.jpg
09.jpg

Date: January 16, 2011 04:07PM

Route 7 is under major construction. Close to the 123 interchange, you can see a bunch of steel pilings rising up from the ground. This is the future home of the Tysons Central 7 station.
Attachments:
06.jpg
07.jpg

Posted by: centreville guy ()
Date: January 16, 2011 04:20PM

Cool pics, Meeper. Thanks for the update.

Posted by: Kilton ()
Date: January 16, 2011 05:37PM

Indeed.

Posted by: Love the pics too ()
Date: January 16, 2011 05:57PM

I parked my car at Dulles in long term parking and it is NOT worth it. I had car parts stolen off my car. I now use a great limo service. It is so easy I will never leave my car again.

I did not know abou the Vienna metro station since I commute the other way. I guess since we have NO police on metro the lots would not be looked at either. This is so sad for everyone. Who will want to take metro now?

PS Does each "town" police the stations? The city of Falls Church is strict and I am sure they would not allow this to happen.

Date: January 17, 2011 02:56AM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> Note: No children were thrown from the parking
> deck while I was up here.

LOL!

Posted by: Snapple ()
Date: January 17, 2011 06:06AM

"Shoptysons Blvd" is just asinine.

Date: January 17, 2011 06:47AM

Yeah

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2012 06:23PM by Radiophile.

Date: January 17, 2011 06:57AM

The Monster. Opine if you wish.

Posted by: ?uestion ()
Date: January 17, 2011 07:25AM

Radiophile Wrote:
> The Monster. Opine if you wish.

Do you work on the project, or were you just tresspassing?

Date: January 17, 2011 07:36AM

Snapple Wrote:
> "Shoptysons Blvd" is just asinine.

Dumbest street name in the county.

Date: January 17, 2011 07:42AM

?uestion Wrote:
> Radiophile Wrote:
> -----
> > The Monster. Opine if you wish.
>
>
> Do you work on the project, or were you just
> tresspassing?

Sorry,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2012 06:24PM by Radiophile.

Posted by: Seeker ()
Date: January 17, 2011 10:33AM

While you would never call the drive around the Beltway through Tyson's "scenic", the elevated Metro tracks are going to be a serious eyesore. That is one ugly project.

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: January 17, 2011 12:40PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> From the 6th floor parking deck of Tysons. In the
> forground of picture #2 you can see the newly laid
> track deck, and in the background you can see a
> long stretch of elevated track departing the Toll
> Road. The third picture is where the Tysons
> Central 123 station will be located.
>
> Note: No children were thrown from the parking
> deck while I was up here.

I was just commenting on that thing to my wife yesterday. It's moved about a 1/2 mile since the last time I saw it

Date: January 17, 2011 02:01PM

Men working on Dec 9, 2010

Date: January 17, 2011 02:35PM

ITRADE Wrote:
> Yah, the HOT lanes are pretty amazing. They
> basically clear cut an entire stand of old growth
> oaks and poplars. Here today and gone the next
> day.

Has anyone here actually driven a HOT Lane yet?

Posted by: Making_stuff ()
Date: January 18, 2011 10:52AM

Radiophile, those are awesome pics. Thanks for putting them up on here.

Posted by: sdfasdf ()
Date: May 12, 2011 05:06PM

I'm surprised at how quickly they're making progress. Wiehle station is already going up. So essentially, the Metro construction to Reston is already underway.

Some would call it an eyesore, but to be honest, Tysons is an eyesore already. I think it looks cool. Futuristic. Looks like something from the 25th century. Reminds me of something out of a sci-fi movie or game.

Date: May 12, 2011 06:40PM

sdfasdf Wrote:
>
> I think it looks cool.

I do too. I don't think it's a an eyesore at all. Tysons is a huge mass of multi-lane roads, highways, office parks, malls, etc. If I wanted trees, mountains, and meadows, I'd go live out in the country.

Pages: 123AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 3

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.