HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Fairfax County Noise Ordinance Question
Posted by: Expensive Jeans ()
Date: August 06, 2010 11:40AM

Hi all,

I did some digging online and am not completely confident on the answer to my question.

If I were to be having a party in Fairfax City (residential neighborhood, older, with plenty of space between homes), is it okay to have live music play up until around 11PM. Not loud rock and roll, just mellow kind of guy and guitar type music. But I'm sure the sound would be audible to the surrounding folks. We would of course tell everyone in the vicinity the plan as well to make sure they're okay with it. And invite them, as well.

I know it could be a complex question which warrants a complex answer, but just wanted to check to see if anyone had any general information on the topic. We don't want to book a band if we risk them being cut-off early by the police if they're called by a neighbor.

Do the party-throwers have recourse and rights in such a situation?

Thanks,

Jeans.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fairfax County Noise Ordinance Question
Posted by: Yahweh ()
Date: August 06, 2010 11:44AM

My two year old is sleeping at 11pm. If I heard your shitty "guy and guitar type music" that late, Id consider coming over and speaking to you.

Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: August 06, 2010 11:46AM

I would call the local police non-emergency number and ask.

Date: August 06, 2010 11:47AM

Yahweh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My two year old is sleeping at 11pm. If I heard
> your shitty "guy and guitar type music" that late,
> Id consider coming over and speaking to you.

Okay, I respect your opinion and understand your viewpoint. Hopefully you can understand mine and my situation as well.

Are you implying there is no outdoor music allowed in FFX County at a private residence, or just that it would make you upset?

We are nothing but respectful that is why we are taking precaution before booking an act.

and "that late"? 11PM on a Saturday? What would be an acceptable cut off time in your opinion?

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: August 06, 2010 11:48AM

Hey douche bag, when are you leaving for good, again?

If a neighbor calls the cops to complain, odds are they cops will come by and ask you to knock it off. It doesn't matter what kind of music it is. It's 11pm at night.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Ralph Pootawn Wrote:
> I would call the local police non-emergency number
> and ask.

That's a good idea - thanks for your suggestion. I will do that.

Posted by: Rock On ()

I doubt that FCPD would enforce on that. WIthout the proper sound measuring devices (they dont own them), they would have no basis to cite you. If they did, you can easily challenge that in court and win.

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: August 06, 2010 11:49AM

-

Blessed are the murderous.
Attachments:
allpinkparty.jpg

Date: August 06, 2010 11:50AM

496 Wrote:
> Hey douche bag, when are you leaving for good,
> again?

Please don't address me like that. I understand you are married and miserable but find other ways to channel your anger versus attacking innocent internet bystanders. Thanks.

Posted by: SmartGuy ()
Date: August 06, 2010 11:58AM

I wouldn't waste their time by calling the non-emergency number. Call the Department of Code Compliance (703-324-1300) if you really would like to speak with someone who knows more about the subject.

"""
Radios, TVs, musical instruments, loudspeakers, or any other sound amplification devices may not be used between 11 p.m. and 7 a.m. if they can be heard:

Across property boundaries
Through common walls within a building
At 50 feet from a car parked on a public right-of-way or in a public place
For more information, call the Department of Code Compliance, 703-324-1300, TTY 711, or read the county’s Noise Ordinance (Chapter 108).
"""
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/code/noise/

If you make sure that everyone within an audible distance is okay with it, and won't call the cops on you, there aren't any concerned citizens that will be driving by and call the cops, and the cops don't routinely patrol the area, you'll be fine. Just play it at your desired volume, and then if the cops come just turn it down. No need for it to be so loud, anyway. Louder isn't better.

Date: August 06, 2010 12:02PM

Thanks for the information, Smartguy - appreciated.

Radios, TVs, musical instruments, loudspeakers, or any other sound amplification devices may not be used between 11 p.m. and 7 a.m. if they can be heard:

Yahweh - I wanted to point out the bold section above as an FYI to you.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Posted by: been there ()
Date: August 06, 2010 12:08PM

Just be careful. My buddy had a party but instead of calling the cops, his bitch-ass neighbor came over and threw a rock thru his window, glass flew everywhere and it almost hit some chick in the head. When they chased after him he threatened them with trespassing because they were up on his porch. Some people are real assholes.

Expensive Jeans Wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I did some digging online and am not completely
> confident on the answer to my question.
>
> If I were to be having a party in Fairfax City
> (residential neighborhood, older, with plenty of
> space between homes), is it okay to have live
> music play up until around 11PM. Not loud rock and
> roll, just mellow kind of guy and guitar type
> music. But I'm sure the sound would be audible to
> the surrounding folks. We would of course tell
> everyone in the vicinity the plan as well to make
> sure they're okay with it. And invite them, as
> well.
>
> I know it could be a complex question which
> warrants a complex answer, but just wanted to
> check to see if anyone had any general information
> on the topic. We don't want to book a band if we
> risk them being cut-off early by the police if
> they're called by a neighbor.
>
> Do the party-throwers have recourse and rights in
> such a situation?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeans.

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: August 06, 2010 12:19PM

Summary- Be nice to your neighbors, if the police show up be nice and they'll just give you a verbal warning.

When I was younger I use to crank the music all the time in Fairfax county. I told all my neighbors I like to listen to music, if you have a problem please call or come over and I'll be happy to turn the music down.

A few times I would get a call from a neighbor asking me to turn it down. A lot of times they came over and hung out.

I did get some odd visits by the cops. Once a cop was driving by and said he thought my music was to loud and turn it down. I said no problem. That was it.

A second time at a different place I came home one night at about 3am and neighbor had parked in my parking space. In my irrational thinking I decided the best way to get them back was to crank the music full blast. It took about 15 minutes and three cop cars showed up. As soon as I heard the distinct cop knock I turned the music off.

Two cops at the door. I told them I didn't think the music was that loud, maybe the quality speakers made the sound carry farther. The cops answered, "When I can hear the music loud and clear in my cop car with the windows up that's way too loud for 3:30am."

He asked if I was the only person in the house, prove I was the owner and then said, "Here's the deal. The music is way to loud. I'm taken down your name and address and giving you a verbal warning. If any of us come back here tonight and that music is loud were giving you a ticket for noise violation. No questions asked. I'm I clear."

I said, "Don't worry about, I'm done playing music, I'm going to sleep. I was pissed off about the neighbor parking in my spot and having to walk, Sorry to bother you. I was just being stupid."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2010 12:23PM by Lurker..

Date: August 06, 2010 12:25PM

Expensive Jeans Wrote:
> Yahweh - I wanted to point out the bold section
> above as an FYI to you.

Dont get me wrong, I am a fun loving guy and not the type to call the police. I am well aware of the 11pm cut off, so party it up until then:)

Everybody knows its all about the mellow after-party anyways.

Posted by: County Code ()
Date: August 06, 2010 12:54PM

The legal limit for noise maybe be 11pm but the moral limit that needs to be considered is it a family area, are their children sleeping in the nearby houses that the noise will disrupt the family and cause children to be off schedule? Are their adults that work shift work and need the rest?

Are you too cheap to rent out a place for the evening?

If I were a neighbor with children trying to get to sleep, I'd be calling the police at 8pm saying this can't continue like this the rest of the evening.

Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: August 06, 2010 01:01PM

What are you, 80?

Date: August 06, 2010 01:05PM

I guess as former partier I'd find calling the police at 8pm on party being jealous that someone was having too much fun and I'm stuck with kids.

What cheap places???? Especially if the guy is in college, he probably doesn't have money for that.

To clarify, I'm talking about a party on a Friday or Saturday night. Not a week night.

County Code Wrote:
> The legal limit for noise maybe be 11pm but the
> moral limit that needs to be considered is it a
> family area, are their children sleeping in the
> nearby houses that the noise will disrupt the
> family and cause children to be off schedule? Are
> their adults that work shift work and need the
> rest?
>
> Are you too cheap to rent out a place for the
> evening?
>
> If I were a neighbor with children trying to get
> to sleep, I'd be calling the police at 8pm saying
> this can't continue like this the rest of the
> evening.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2010 01:06PM by Lurker..

Date: August 06, 2010 01:14PM

County Code Wrote:
> Are you too cheap to rent out a place for the
> evening?
>
> If I were a neighbor with children trying to get
> to sleep, I'd be calling the police at 8pm saying
> this can't continue like this the rest of the
> evening.

There is no reason to rent a place. The home is perfectly fine.

Re; your last statement. To alleviate additional strain and burden on FCPS via unnecessary calls, I would suggest calling the non-emergency number. I doubt an 8PM phone call to the cops complaining about a family friendly party next door (on a Saturday, summer evening) would warrant a visit from the police. If anything -- just an eye roll and shake of head from an already stressed county operator - dropping your request to the bottom of the queue , if not erasing it all together due to the non-severity of the issue. (with all due respect, of course).

This raises a legitimate question that is highly debatable, in my opinion. And of course, very subjective:

Would providing a pleasant night sleep to a single infant in a nearby home take precedence over a family friendly party with respectful attendees celebrating an event, who, are in fact, following county code noise ordinance regulations?

It comes to morals, I understand. But curious to know what the parents, or prospective parents, think about that.

Posted by: question for the jeans ()
Date: August 06, 2010 01:21PM

what type of party is this?

Posted by: Gonads & Strife ()
Date: August 06, 2010 01:27PM

EJ - Also consider that your neighbors could be lying bastards and tell the police that your music is very loud and when they investigate the neighbors could simply say that it had since been turned down. If the police get a couple more calls like that I'm sure they'd pooper your party.

Calling the neighbors up and telling them that you'll be having a party and what you plan on doing/for how long, they'll probably express any concerns they have and you can address them and compromise if necessary. Invitations are always a good idea to extend.

Date: August 06, 2010 01:44PM

One of the neighborhood kids here came over and asked if I minded if he had a band for his graduation party. That they would stop playing music at 11pm and I was welcome to come over to the party.

I said I don't care let um play as long as they like, doesn't bother me, congrats on the graduation.

I had a big party once, let my neighbors know and invited them all. I didn't know them since I was new. Not one showed up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2010 01:47PM by Lurker..

Date: August 06, 2010 03:05PM

Expensive Jeans Wrote:
> 496 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Hey douche bag, when are you leaving for good,
> > again?
>
>
> 496,
>
> Please don't address me like that. I understand
> you are married and miserable but find other ways
> to channel your anger versus attacking innocent
> internet bystanders. Thanks.

Does cocksucker work?

Date: August 06, 2010 04:10PM

Expensive Jeans Wrote:
> Would providing a pleasant night sleep to a single
> infant in a nearby home take precedence over a
> family friendly party with respectful attendees
> celebrating an event...

You just lost me there EJ. "Whats one night sleep to a child when we could be partying it up!"

and btw, I like all kinds of music, but when you say "guy and guitar" i picture dave mathews or some other shitty college music.

So, I am changing my stance; If you are in my neighborhood tomorrow night, I will call the police.

Posted by: lolla bi baby ()
Date: August 06, 2010 04:46PM

Expensive Jeans Wrote:
Hi all,

>(residential neighborhood, older, with plenty of space between homes)
>is it okay to have live music play up until around 11.
>Not loud rock and roll, just mellow kind of guy and guitar type
>music.

I didn't know your boyfriend was performing! Is Meade opening for him?
Attachments:
mephistocaveman.jpg

Posted by: Barely bearable Emo ()
Date: August 06, 2010 05:04PM

WTF is "guy" music? Village People? Freddy Mercury? Wham!?

Posted by: FU music historian ()
Date: August 06, 2010 05:08PM

Barely bearable Emo Wrote:
> WTF is "guy" music? Village People? Freddy
> Mercury? Wham!?

'Guy' is EJ gaycode for 'gay' ( i.e. 'gay music', as in anything by Meade Skelton and John Wednesday).

Posted by: Barely bearable Emo ()
Date: August 06, 2010 05:14PM

Posted by: eesh ok to be gay? ()
Date: August 06, 2010 05:21PM

question for the jeans Wrote:
> what type of party is this?

an all pink/gay eeshfest!
Attachments:
allpinkparty.jpg

Posted by: More Complete ()
Date: August 06, 2010 06:02PM

Expensive Jeans Wrote:
> (residential neighborhood, older, with plenty of
> space between homes), is it okay to have live
> music play up until around 11PM.

If there were plenty of space between homes there wouldn't be a problem. Apparently "plenty of space" means less than an acre, which means there will be a problem.

Posted by: FU insider ()
Date: August 06, 2010 07:02PM

496 Wrote:
> Hey douche bag, when are you leaving for good,
> again?

He never left!

Posted by: newgatedenizen ()
Date: August 06, 2010 08:43PM

Here's a reasonable outlook on this. Who, other than a total jerk, would call the cops to complain about a loud party next door if it is a one time thing?

A neighbor of ours recently - some months ago - had a pretty loud party going in in our neighborhood until like 2am. Yes, it was annoying, but you know what, they had never done anything like that before and they haven't since. I told my wife at the time, I'm not going to begrudge a neighbor having a single loud party.

Now if it happens on a regular basis (or even again, perhaps), then we have a problem. But I see nothing wrong with allowing your neighbors a little noise once or twice a year. The kids slept through it and I just turned up some music in my own house and forgot about it...

A lot less stress this way... and doesn't waste PD time playing babysitter...

Posted by: Not Your Neighbor ()
Date: August 07, 2010 12:53PM

Here's what a neighbor of mine did... Called the cops at 9:00 to complain. No response. At 9:45 called again and made it sound a lot worse. Then he went over and dropped a lit joint on the sidewalk just outside their door.

One cop car showed up at 10:00. Three more, including an unmarked one, arrived soon after. People started to leave shortly after that. Don't know what happened, but by 10:30 it was quiet and dark over there.

Posted by: courtesy ()
Date: August 07, 2010 02:22PM

The best thing is to let your neighbors know ahead of time. In general, most people won't mind a little late night noise if they are given a little advance notice. Being thoughtful goes a long way toward good will and tolerance with neighbors.

If the music is mostly decent quality, that helps too.

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: August 07, 2010 08:35PM

Late-night noise is cool depending upon your relationship with your neighbors, the type of noise, and on what days you're planning on doing it. For instance, having my neighbors chatting loudly on their deck until one or two in the morning is perfectly fine with me, but it would be annoying if it was some house party with screaming girls and fights (Which has happened before, but it was alright because it wasn't all that often, and it was only on the weekend).

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Date: August 07, 2010 10:20PM

FU insider Wrote:
> 496 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Hey douche bag, when are you leaving for good,
> > again?
>
>
> He never left!

DOH!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.