HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
They're back (Red Light Cameras)
Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: June 25, 2007 11:45PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: They're back (Red Light Cameras)
Posted by: fuck ()
Date: June 25, 2007 11:49PM

i ran like 5 of those today i didnt know they were working agian goddamit. are they working in old town a

Date: June 26, 2007 12:03AM

Not until July 1.

Posted by: interested ()
Date: June 26, 2007 02:44PM

Is there a place to find every intersection that is equipped with this technology?

Posted by: Tia2 ()
Date: June 26, 2007 03:38PM

They will be everywhere - VA wants to collect the civil penalties that will be imposed when they send the bill to the residence where the license plate is registered.

You may be able to get the civil penalty waived if you say you were not driving, but chances are you'll have to pay anyhow!

Posted by: stinkypoon ()
Date: June 26, 2007 03:55PM

Would it be illegal to shoot these things with a paint ball gun? I don't think it would damage them, but it would be a bit tougher to get a picture of the plate if it's covered in gunk.

Posted by: tarp ()
Date: June 26, 2007 04:44PM

Regarding red light cameras - I URGE YOU to contact your Board of Supervisors member (look here: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/government/board/) and ask them NOT to fund the reinstatement of red light cameras. Remember, the state law permits counties to have red light cameras, but only if the county chooses to fund and install them. The red light cameras in Fairfax County currently are just EMPTY BOXES. Tell Gerry Connolly that you don't want red light cameras and that the $2,000,000 it would take to reinstall them can be better used to fund our schools!

AND more importantly,

If the ABUSER FEES anger you, it may anger you more to find out that David Albo who authored the legislation is in fact a DUI and traffic attorney based in Arlington, Virginia. He stands to gain a lot of business now that the fines have been jacked up!

Visit his website and contact him directly to voice your opposition:

http://virginiadui.poweradvocates.com/

Date: June 26, 2007 06:15PM

The law limits the # of intersections to 1 per 10,000 residents. Fairfax has about 1,022,298 residents, so they can have a cameras at...oh....only….102 intersections at any one time.

Some other points (and I'm not an attorney BTW, accept at your own risk)

“No monetary penalty imposed under this section shall exceed $50, nor shall it include court costs” I think the max fine is $50. No civil remedial fees will apply. No points either.

They can mail (via first class mail) the summons to you (and I'm sure they will do that for cost savings). However, if you don't respond to the summons, they will have to issue one via personal service (i.e. the sheriff). Until the sheriff personally hands you the summons (or nails it to your door, etc), they can't punish you in any way for not responding ("No proceedings for contempt or arrest of a person summoned by mailing shall be instituted for failure to appear on the return date of the summons.") That's probably because service by mail is generally not legally acceptable. However if you respond to their mail summons, you will save them a lot of money and trouble. Even if you ignore the mailed summons and get the sheriff, the court still has to give you 60 days to respond. I wonder if enough time passes you could ask for a dismissal of the case as it would violate your right to a speedy trial (seems like this process could easily take 4 months.)

It would be unfortunate for localities if people routinely ignored these summonses and required personal service by the sheriff's dept or other process server. It would certainly eat into their profit.

The locality has to issue a "...a summons for a violation of this section within 10 business days" if not then "...all information collected pertaining to that suspected violation shall be purged within two business days."

And, as with the speed limit change , before they can set up one of these cameras they have to perform an "engineering safety analysis". Of course, I'd ask for one of those to see if it was ever performed.

"Any locality that uses a traffic light signal violation monitoring system shall evaluate the system on a monthly basis to ensure all cameras and traffic signals are functioning properly. Evaluation results shall be made available to the public."

"Any locality that uses a traffic light signal violation monitoring system to enforce traffic light signals shall place conspicuous signs within 500 feet of the intersection approach at which a traffic light signal violation monitoring system is used. There shall be a rebuttable presumption that such signs were in place at the time of the commission of the traffic light signal violation."

"Prior to or coincident with the implementation or expansion of a traffic light signal violation monitoring system, a locality shall conduct a public awareness program, advising the public that the locality is implementing or expanding a traffic light signal violation monitoring system."

Oh, and BTW, I hope all you red-light runners go bankrupt.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: June 26, 2007 09:04PM

im putting that in the wiki.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: June 27, 2007 02:59AM

stinkypoon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Would it be illegal to shoot these things with a
> paint ball gun?

yes, it would be illegal. at the very least it would be considered vandalism. im thinking it would be something like, "malicious damaging of a traffic something device" which would carry a hefty fine. who knows... but i do know they would nail you to a cross for it.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.