HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
New Virginia Law - "Jackpot for the State"
Posted by: Virginia P ()
Date: June 25, 2007 12:45PM

I first noticed in Saturday's Wash Post and now see another article today in The Examiner News about a law that will be going into effect July 1. This new law will "add thousands of dollard to the cost of committing driving offense." "The massive transportation funding package approved in the spring raises some of its revenue by adding "civil remedial fees" as penalties for misdemeanor and felony driving violations beginning July 1. Lesser offenses such as speeding 5-10 mph over posted limits, will not incur the added financial charge." These new fees are to be paid annually for three years and range from $250 to 1,000 per year. (20 mph over limit will be $350 per year plus the County ticket). The first fee is paid to the court and the next two to the Dept. Motor Vehicles.

While I agree that bad drivers should face consequences for their poor driving habits, what really gets me is that this law only holds true for VIRGINIANS!! "Because the fees must be paid to Virginia's DMV, the new penalties cannot be levied on out-of-state drivers or illegal immigrants who do not register their vehicles or do not have drivers licenses. What heck is that? Sounds to me like Virginians will be targeted and out of state folks and illegal immigrants will be permitted to speed along....Just imagine keeping up with the traffic speed on 95 and YOU get pulled over simply because you have VA plates while all the other people keeping the same speed get off.....this is STUPID! I cannot believe that this passed!

Thoughts???

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Virginia Law - "Jackpot for the State"
Posted by: Genevieve ()
Date: June 25, 2007 12:59PM

We already have a thread on this topic. Please see Civil Penalties will be charged as of July 1, 2007.

Posted by: Nik ()

My thoughts are that this thread already exists

----------------
WHERE'S THE BEEF

Posted by: Tia2 ()

As it turns out, the Lawyers are already on top of it and waiting to battle it out in the courts.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/22/AR2007062201781.html?hpid=topnews

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2007 01:00PM by Tia2.

Posted by: Virginia P. ()
Date: June 25, 2007 01:04PM

Sorry to have re-posted -- I somehow missed the earlier thread. Please don't rip me up for my oversight!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.