HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous123All
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Fairfax County Public Employee Salaries
Posted by: T2T ()
Date: October 07, 2010 03:06PM

The numbers reported from the school salaries will be more depressing than those of the rest of the government. Sure, most of the school employees only work about 10 months out of the year, but they are still way underpaid for their education levels (Bachelors + Masters Degrees).

I'm sure you'll see where some of the janitors and food personnel in the school system make more money than the instructional assistants who are involved with teaching students, working on lesson plans, etc. Heck, what kind of work is it to work in a school cafeteria nowdays? All the food comes in frozen and is placed on baking racks to be heated. You think school food was atrocious 20 or 25 years ago? That slop they're serving today should be outlawed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: more waste ()
Date: October 08, 2010 01:19PM

5. Laughlin, Nev. – Burning down, or burning through cash?

Laughlin is a tiny Nevada border gambling town, a little Las Vegas for Northern Arizona residents. Not including tourists, the city had a population of 7,000 during the last Census. Last year its top 10 employees pulled in nearly $3 million in pay, making it a perfect example of another bane of taxpayers– overtime pay.

As KLAS-TV in Nevada noted in a recent story about excessive overtime pay, “One might expect the town of Laughlin to be a blazing inferno.†One Laughlin firefighter alone earned $92,000 in overtime pay last year.

Laughlin is in Clark County, which also includes Las Vegas. Other firefighters from around the county are also well compensated. The two top earners, who collected $474,000 and $444,000, were firefighters who won large disability payments, according to KLAS.

The nearby city of Henderson, also in Clark County, generates some heavy paystubs, too. The assistant city attorney earned $550,000, including $433,000 in a one-time payout; the city attorney earned $435,000, $350,000 of it in a one-time payout, and a fire battalion chief earned $400,000, almost all from a one-time payout. Not to be outdone, North Las Vegas’ assistant fire chief earned $661,000.

Posted by: closer to home ()
Date: October 08, 2010 01:20PM

8. Norfolk, Va.-- a great $29,000 a year job
Twelve years ago, Jill McGlone, an employee of the Norfolk Community Services Board, was placed on administrative leave during a personnel investigation. She never set foot in the office again, but no one seemed to notice. McGlone continued to draw paychecks – including regular raises – for 12 years, until her story was brought to light this year. Her salary last year was $29,000. Local officials are befuddled by the incident, and five employees have lost their jobs since McGlone’s no-show job came to light. A criminal investigation has begun, according to the Virginian-Pilot.

The city manager of Norfolk earns $213,000 in base salary, by the way, according to data collected by the Pilot. Two assistant city managers split $300,000, and two assistants to the city manager earn about $90,000 in base pay while serving the city of 230,000.

Posted by: steve ()
Date: October 09, 2010 01:06PM

Holy cow, those firefighter salaries are outrageous. I'll get back to that in a second.

When I first looked at the list, I thought "Well, if you didn't think about it too deep, those salaries might seem high". But when you realize how much attorneys, physcians, psychiatrists, and managers of large corporations make, the first page of the list seemed highly reasonable, if not a little underpaid.

Then we start getting to the fire chiefs and such. Now it's kinda iffy. I first was going to give them a break, as I figure that each chief probably managed a lot of people (e.g maybe 4 chiefs for the entire county). I also imagine that they got a couple of decades under their belt. Having said that, there are a lot of chiefs...

But now when you get down to the lieutenants and captains, then I've got to say "holy crap, that's outrageous". Let's be honest, these guys aren't fighting fires 8 hours a day. And, yes, they've put in a lot of years, but not that many.

In comparison, A new [assistant] neuroscience professor at GMU, which means not only a PhD, but a post-doc (roughly 11-14 years of college total), and is required to raise his/her own funds and bring in grants (only a minority of universities funds are from the state), makes only $75k a year ($100k if he can get work over the summer teaching or on a grant). Personally I rate a neuroscience (or any science) professor much much higher than a lieutenant firefighter. The amount of good that they do and the possible spin-off effects they have on the society and the local economy is enormous.

And one or two people above said they were engineers and making less than the fire fighters. Again, I rate those engineers much higher. In fact, I know several new-ish (3-5 years post PhD) engineers working at local defense contractors that make less than those lieutenant firefighters. And I bet those PhDs, engineers, and professors work at least 60 hours/week (no overtime -- they're salaried) and haven't had raises in several years.

Yes, there should be a premium for someone putting their life on the line, but the premium for someone who only needs a GED is far less than those 15-year lieutenants are earning.

Believe me, I understand that many of these jobs don't have a comparable position in the private sector. I also understand that they do a hard job. But, there should not be that many fire fighters making over $100k. I bet would could hire some from Detroit for a lot less.

BTW: $100k is median household, not median income. Males have a median income of ~$60k.

Posted by: reason ()
Date: October 09, 2010 01:28PM

The same analysis needs to be applied to the police department.

Posted by: bbo ()
Date: October 09, 2010 10:21PM

all those fire cheifs get paid full overtime every year as well, so its more than stated.

Posted by: Too much ()
Date: October 12, 2010 01:08AM

Will someone please look into the Fairfax County Fire Chief pay. Ronald Mastin is making over 200K plus he is collecting retirement from Fairfax County too. They estimate his salary to be over 350K a year. We also heard Tony Griffin is doing the same thing.
How can they be working and collect retirement at the same time?

The salaries shown for police and firemen are base salaries not showing what their O/T is and benefits. There are firemen and medics consistently making over 150K a year in with salary and overtime but the county will no longer provide that info.

Posted by: VRS is secretive ()
Date: October 12, 2010 09:35AM

Unfortunately the VRS refuses to give out any information on what retirees earn.

Yes, I know, the taxpayers fund these cush retirement funds and we have to put more money into it because it is underfunded by a couple of billion or so, but we have no right to know what these people are earning.

Lots of double dipping going on. Maybe this is why it is nearly impossible to get a high paying government job with the county...they just retire from one system and the good ole boys hire them back at another agency.

I need to move out of Fairfax County-I refuse to pay for this corruption.

Posted by: say ()
Date: October 12, 2010 09:40PM

VRS is secretive Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Unfortunately the VRS refuses to give out any
> information on what retirees earn.
>
> Yes, I know, the taxpayers fund these cush
> retirement funds and we have to put more money
> into it because it is underfunded by a couple of
> billion or so, but we have no right to know what
> these people are earning.
>
> Lots of double dipping going on. Maybe this is
> why it is nearly impossible to get a high paying
> government job with the county...they just retire
> from one system and the good ole boys hire them
> back at another agency.
>
> I need to move out of Fairfax County-I refuse to
> pay for this corruption.

You've been drinking too much tea, asshole.

VRS pensions are based on a formula and it's no secret:

http://www.varetire.org/Calculators/Index.asp

And for the umpteenth time, YOU CANNOT COLLECT A VRS PENSION AND ACCEPT OTHER VRS-COVERED EMPLOYMENT!

Posted by: Highlander ()
Date: October 12, 2010 10:22PM

Too much Wrote:
> Will someone please look into the Fairfax County
> Fire Chief pay. Ronald Mastin is making over 200K
> plus he is collecting retirement from Fairfax
> County too. They estimate his salary to be over
> 350K a year. We also heard Tony Griffin is doing
> the same thing.
> How can they be working and collect retirement at
> the same time?
>
> The salaries shown for police and firemen are base
> salaries not showing what their O/T is and
> benefits. There are firemen and medics
> consistently making over 150K a year in with
> salary and overtime but the county will no longer
> provide that info.

When you work 10 days a month, its easy to rack up overtime....especially after Madden 11 comes out. They have some intense three day, double-elimination tournaments. When the new Call Of Duty gets released, you can forget about your cat getting out of that tree.

Posted by: Les ()
Date: October 12, 2010 10:34PM

Employees can double-dip if they work part-time, work in a temporary position, work in a locality not covered under VRS, or work in a position staffed by an outside contractor.

http://www.varetire.org/Pdf/Publications/retnewswin09.pdf

Posted by: this is classic ()
Date: October 12, 2010 11:04PM

So, my question is if ya'll think their pay is SOOOO high....sign up, send in your application and see if you can hack it and see how and why they earn the money they do

FUnny, several years ago when all was going well everyone said how little our public safety employees were paid...and yes, it is very low compared to the cost of living in Fairfax.....but now that these people chose jobs that historically do well in "down turns" you're all bitching ....It just shows how jealous you are...go to the fairfax county website...fill out the paperwork and join if you think it's sooo great.....

Date: October 12, 2010 11:14PM

this is classic Wrote:
> So, my question is if ya'll think their pay is
> SOOOO high....sign up, send in your application
> and see if you can hack it and see how and why
> they earn the money they do
>
> FUnny, several years ago when all was going well
> everyone said how little our public safety
> employees were paid...and yes, it is very low
> compared to the cost of living in Fairfax.....but
> now that these people chose jobs that historically
> do well in "down turns" you're all bitching ....It
> just shows how jealous you are...go to the fairfax
> county website...fill out the paperwork and join
> if you think it's sooo great.....

+10

You hear the same shit about public employees everytime the economy goes south. And for every fat cat public retiree, there's hundreds that, after putting in 30+ years, get maybe a grand a month, most or all of which goes to their healthcare premium.

Posted by: Les ()
Date: October 13, 2010 12:20AM

They should probably cap the pension benefits like they do with defined contribution plans. Taxpayer-provided pension benefits should only cover up to so much income, regardless of what position you hold or how much you're compensated. Anything you make above that, say $50,000, it is your responsibility to save enough to maintain the lifestyle you want.

Posted by: roughbook ()
Date: October 13, 2010 10:43AM

Not one of them worth it.

Posted by: Duchess ()
Date: October 13, 2010 11:31AM

They may be in the pre-retirement County DROP program. That means that "extra" income is deferred until retirement and its subject to all the same rules as a retirement fund.

Posted by: don't think so ()
Date: October 13, 2010 11:54AM

You've been drinking too much tea, asshole.

VRS pensions are based on a formula and it's no secret:

OK, mr smartee pants, let's say I want to know what Paul Jansen is making in his VRS retirement as he works for the parks department "in retirement" pulling in about $75k per year.

How do I apply this "formula" unless I know what his last 3 year's salary was at FCPS as athletic director?

I would have to FOIA his last 3 years' earning history at FCPS and do the calculation myself.

You are a know nothing idiot.

If the taxpayers fund the VRS-which they do-they have every right to know what these "poor" and "underpaid" public employees are collecting in lifetime benefits.

What do they have to hide-if the figures are so paltry?

Date: October 13, 2010 06:44PM

don't think so Wrote:
> OK, mr smartee pants, let's say I want to know
> what Paul Jansen is making in his VRS retirement
> as he works for the parks department "in
> retirement" pulling in about $75k per year.
>
> How do I apply this "formula" unless I know what
> his last 3 year's salary was at FCPS as athletic
> director?
>
> I would have to FOIA his last 3 years' earning
> history at FCPS and do the calculation myself.
>
> You are a know nothing idiot.
>
> If the taxpayers fund the VRS-which they do-they
> have every right to know what these "poor" and
> "underpaid" public employees are collecting in
> lifetime benefits.
>
> What do they have to hide-if the figures are so
> paltry?

Well, then go ahead and FOIA the info that you want and do the calculations yourself. Who's stopping you?

If you're too fucking lazy to do it, that's your problem.

Posted by: FUCK FAIRFAX COUNTY ()
Date: October 13, 2010 07:18PM

FUCK FAIRFAX COUNTY, THAT IS ALL!

Posted by: R. Taylor ()
Date: October 17, 2010 10:42PM

200k? Is it poverty level? Where?
In the meantime, the fireworkes do the job for free as volunteers, fundraise money on the streets and organize bingo events!!
My friend, the country is broken. Wake up!

Posted by: T. Herrera ()
Date: October 17, 2010 11:00PM

There are latinos surely. They are those ones called volunteers, who collect money in the streets (you know the boots), organize bingos. Your know...The sort of shit to make a salary of 100+K possible for some racist craker.

Posted by: ManWithTheTan ()
Date: October 18, 2010 12:19AM

Notably missing from all reports ------------

Where is salary for the Man With The Tan?

I don't think the numbers go up that high...highest saw was County Executive & think King Dale is quite a lot higher, and certainly with total comp (and don't forget that car, while kids go to school in trailers, you ass).

Posted by: For the Students ()
Date: October 18, 2010 01:14AM

ManWithTheTan Wrote:
> Notably missing from all reports ------------
>
> Where is salary for the Man With The Tan?
>
> I don't think the numbers go up that
> high...highest saw was County Executive & think
> King Dale is quite a lot higher, and certainly
> with total comp (and don't forget that car, while
> kids go to school in trailers, you ass).

I think the listing that was posted, only included salaries of the Government employees, firefighters and police officers. I don't believe the teachers were included.

Posted by: Did my time ()
Date: October 18, 2010 06:52AM

say Wrote:
> this is classic Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > So, my question is if ya'll think their pay is
> > SOOOO high....sign up, send in your application
> > and see if you can hack it and see how and why
> > they earn the money they do
> >
> > FUnny, several years ago when all was going
> well
> > everyone said how little our public safety
> > employees were paid...and yes, it is very low
> > compared to the cost of living in
> Fairfax.....but
> > now that these people chose jobs that
> historically
> > do well in "down turns" you're all bitching
> ....It
> > just shows how jealous you are...go to the
> fairfax
> > county website...fill out the paperwork and
> join
> > if you think it's sooo great.....
>
> +10
>
> You hear the same shit about public employees
> everytime the economy goes south. And for every
> fat cat public retiree, there's hundreds that,
> after putting in 30+ years, get maybe a grand a
> month, most or all of which goes to their
> healthcare premium.

All the above is very true, years ago all my private sector neighbors loved to brag about the golf tournaments and Carribean vacations their companies were sending them on while I was working 50 hours a week to make the bills. Now they love to bitch about my retirement which most of them will never get ,hopping from company to company and worry if they will be the next lay off or already are. Too fucking bad, public employees for the most part earn their salaries with no perks and pay a good part of their salary for the retirement fund. Those who chose to not anticipate a rainy day love to bitch about us.

Date: October 18, 2010 07:59PM

Did my time Wrote:
> say Wrote:
> -----
> > this is classic Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > So, my question is if ya'll think their pay
> is
> > > SOOOO high....sign up, send in your
> application
> > > and see if you can hack it and see how and
> why
> > > they earn the money they do
> > >
> > > FUnny, several years ago when all was going
> > well
> > > everyone said how little our public safety
> > > employees were paid...and yes, it is very low
> > > compared to the cost of living in
> > Fairfax.....but
> > > now that these people chose jobs that
> > historically
> > > do well in "down turns" you're all bitching
> > ....It
> > > just shows how jealous you are...go to the
> > fairfax
> > > county website...fill out the paperwork and
> > join
> > > if you think it's sooo great.....
> >
> > +10
> >
> > You hear the same shit about public employees
> > everytime the economy goes south. And for
> every
> > fat cat public retiree, there's hundreds that,
> > after putting in 30+ years, get maybe a grand a
> > month, most or all of which goes to their
> > healthcare premium.
>
>
> All the above is very true, years ago all my
> private sector neighbors loved to brag about the
> golf tournaments and Carribean vacations their
> companies were sending them on while I was working
> 50 hours a week to make the bills. Now they love
> to bitch about my retirement which most of them
> will never get ,hopping from company to company
> and worry if they will be the next lay off or
> already are. Too fucking bad, public employees for
> the most part earn their salaries with no perks
> and pay a good part of their salary for the
> retirement fund. Those who chose to not anticipate
> a rainy day love to bitch about us.

Very well put, brother! It's the absolute truth.

It's just sour grapes.

If (a BIG if) the economy ever recovers, we'll be back to being suckers again.

Posted by: QE2 ()
Date: December 02, 2010 08:40AM

How is this information gathered on these salaries? What website is it retrived from?

Posted by: RN ()
Date: December 02, 2010 09:21AM

have you ever seen what these firemen have to put up with?! i have, i'm a nurse, and I have worked with many of them in the ER. most fairfax county residents are completely incompetent people, who think the purchase of a new coach bag trumps the need for healthcare, so they call 911 for every bellyache they experience, and demand to be transported to the hospital. THEN...when it's time for me to discharge them, they ask for a taxi voucher, instead of paying for it themselves. or, there are the entitled group of middle to upper class who think firemen and nurses are their servants, and that the ambulance is a limo and the hospital is the ritz carlton. if some of YOU private sector bastards had to deal with the people we deal with on a regular basis, you wouldn't last more than a few days on the job.
let me ask you something...when was the last time YOU worked on Christmas for 24 hours? or had to miss your daughter's birthday because your relief banged in sick and you were held for 12 more hours? when was the last time you had to do CPR on a 7-month old baby? or ran into a burning building when everyone else was running out? EXACTLY. firemen don't need college degrees to do their jobs, but they do need something else...a pair of balls, which is something the majority of men don't possess these days, especially the ones who are posting on this page, complaining about the salaries of the men and women who are serving YOU.

Posted by: To Numb-Nuts ()
Date: December 02, 2010 09:23AM

Here ya go, numb-nuts. That was tough, I opened my browser and typed in "Fairfax County Employee Salaries" and this was the second listing.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/fairfax-county-va-employee-salaries-2009

Posted by: QuestionForYa ()
Date: December 02, 2010 09:35AM

I am all for nurses getting a pay increase, everyone KNOWS they do all the work but get little of the accolades or pay. But I reserve my judgement on the others who work in the government who don't do squat and collect some fat checks.

Let me give you an example. Outside the Gubamint Center I saw a parked County vehicle in the Emergency parking space, it was a suburban with the emergency markings all over it, but it was for a Pastor. The Fire Department has their own pastor, and we pay for his gas, his transportation, training and everything else.

Why should I, as an agnostic, be paying for someone else's religious administrator to tool around the county in a gas-guzzling SUV so he can attend meetings and offer blessings at various events? Does this seem like a bloated system when you can afford to have this service?

Posted by: tsunami coming ()
Date: December 02, 2010 09:45AM

You public employees kill me....wah, wah, wah.

We work hard....we have to work on Christmas.....we put out fires (rarely)....

Nobody told you what occupation to pick-go change your job. Join the 19 million people who are out of work.

Let me know how much the private sector offers you-if they offer you a job at all.

You people need to wake up and read the newspaper.

$15 trillion federal deficit. Lump on the stae and local governments while you are adding it up. Fairfax County alone has over $2 billion in debt-$2100 per resident.

85-90% of the municipal budgets are salaries-gee, I wonder what they will cut? Duh. Jobs-guys...listen for the sucking sound.

Saye bye-bye to $100k kobs who are barely competent. The party is over. Tax[payers are sick and tired of your b;oated salaries and paying for your benefits and fat retirement packages.

Go earn it like the rest of us do. My kids and grandkids are NOT going to inherit all this debt because of your selfishness and greed.

Posted by: Such A Bitter Person ()
Date: December 02, 2010 03:18PM

tsunami coming Wrote:
> You public employees kill me....wah, wah, wah.
>
> We work hard....we have to work on
> Christmas.....we put out fires (rarely)....
>
> Nobody told you what occupation to pick-go change
> your job. Join the 19 million people who are out
> of work.
>
> Let me know how much the private sector offers
> you-if they offer you a job at all.
>
> You people need to wake up and read the
> newspaper.
>
> $15 trillion federal deficit. Lump on the stae
> and local governments while you are adding it up.
> Fairfax County alone has over $2 billion in
> debt-$2100 per resident.
>
> 85-90% of the municipal budgets are salaries-gee,
> I wonder what they will cut? Duh.
> Jobs-guys...listen for the sucking sound.
>
> Saye bye-bye to $100k kobs who are barely
> competent. The party is over. Tax[payers are sick
> and tired of your b;oated salaries and paying for
> your benefits and fat retirement packages.
>
> Go earn it like the rest of us do. My kids and
> grandkids are NOT going to inherit all this debt
> because of your selfishness and greed.

You seem like such a bitter person. Have you even thought for one minute that most of the Fairfax County government positions are based on the needs of the citizens? If the citizens keep asking for more services, then they'll pay for them. The county will need to hire enough individuals to handle these tasks that you so desire. I'm a taxpayer, too, but I can also look at this in a logical way - and not with the rabid cause that you do.

If you want to really get angry about something, then look at the Federal level first. President Obama hired on approximately 165,000 new Federal employees since he took over the Presidency. Most of these positions were in the Department of Homeland Security and the Veterans Affairs branches of Government. Currently, the number of Federal employees is roughly the same as when President Kennedy was in office. So, at the Federal level, we've had all of these efficiency gains with computerizing many processes - yet, we still need to keep the same number of employees as the mid-1960s? Wow.

Additionally, in my private-sector job, I have the opportunity to work with many government agencies - both at the Federal level and the local level. Let me inform you, I don't see a whole lot of people who are slacking off. Most take their work quite seriously and care about providing the citizens of our country and county with good service. Also, I've noticed that in private industry, there's a heck of a lot more back-stabbing going on in the office than at the government offices. Why do you think this is so? Private sector companies have created such a dog-eat-dog mentality among their employees that they're no longer willing to work in or on teams. Instead, they'd like to bump off their co-workers, do the work and take all the credit. Environments like that are not healthy.

In closing, please allow me to share something with you that was sent out by Pat Herrity (Springfield District Board Supervisor) in his monthly newsletter yesterday: (He's obviously realized some issues and will encourage the Fairfax County government to adopt some incentives for saving taxpayer dollars). Certainly, this is a better move than hacking a bunch of positions and adding to the horrible unemployment numbers. Don't you think?

Incentivizing County Employees to Save Taxpayer Dollars

Last month I made a proposal that could end up saving Fairfax County taxpayers millions of dollars. At the October 19th meeting the Board approved my motion to have the County Executive develop a proposal for the County similar to the one used last year by Governor Bob McDonnell to create a budget surplus at the state level.

The Governor asked state employees to hold down year end spending and create a surplus. If they reached this goal he promised a bonus of 3% to state employees who had not had a raise in three years. Not only did they reach their goal but they exceeded it, which in part led to the state having a $403 million surplus. The Governor then used some of the surplus to give state employees the promised bonus. I believe this is an idea that has merit in Fairfax County and one we should consider.

We all know governments at all levels are notorious for the annual tradition of spending all of their budgets by the end of the year - often in not the most productive ways. This is done to ensure they will get the same amount the following year. While the County Executive and the County CFO have been successful at cutting budgets and having large balances at the end of the year to carryover, my discussions with several county employees indicates the year end spending tradition still exists in parts of Fairfax County.

Here in Fairfax County our hardworking employees are our most important asset. Despite the fact that we have continually asked them to do more with less over the past three years the County has been able to maintain a high level of service because of their dedication and ingenuity and they have done it without any pay increases.

These employees are the ones who know where the "hidden" savings are in the county budget. Incentivizing our employees to identify and implement these savings should be a win-win for the employees and the taxpayers. I will keep you updated on this initiative as it moves forward.

Posted by: give me a break ()
Date: December 02, 2010 03:34PM

Usually Herrity has it going on-but this proposal is nuts.

How about this incentive?

Attention all county employees:

Either we find savings of X or we will lay off 1000 employees. If you want a job next year I suggest you look around for wasteful spending.

We don't need to pay a librarian $90k or a firemen $150k. They are not brain surgeons. They are AVERAGE people with probably below average intelligence who are paid far in excess of their contribution to this county.

Calling someone bitter is hopelessly fiscally irresponsible. Particularly if you are a pro-Herrity person and republican. We cannot continue down the same path of bloated government.

In 2000 the county had debt of $1.5 billion-now it is $2.1 billion. $276 million of OUR TAX DOLLARS goes to just debt service each year.

Do we really need $1,000,000 soccer fields? Can we afford it? Add in the interest costs over 20 years and that field is costing us over $2 million.

If Herrity wants a list of wasteful spending, he should ask the taxpayers.

Posted by: jimW ()
Date: December 02, 2010 04:08PM

this is a classic example of someone getting all up in a tizzy over something THEY alone think is important and earth shattering enough to blow their little horn on...

...seriously. I'm sad to find out that I make roughly the same salary as a seasoned Fire Fighter or cop makes. let alone someone that's in charge of other seasoned fire fighters and cops

to the person that posted these: Fine, post salaries of those that are smoking cigars and rubbing shoulders with their next job's boss so they can make 5 times what they are now.
but seriously stop picking on the fire fighters and police officers. those guys/gals are risking their lives and putting in more hours than the fat cats sitting in fluffy office chairs all day.

please cease.

Posted by: Not So Bitter ()
Date: December 02, 2010 04:58PM

give me a break Wrote:
>
> In 2000 the county had debt of $1.5 billion-now it
> is $2.1 billion. $276 million of OUR TAX DOLLARS
> goes to just debt service each year.
>

If this were the case, then why did Gerry Connolly claim that he had a "balanced budget" for each of his years as the Chairman of the Board of Supervisors? Sure, he balanced the budget - but, he didn't set up a "rainy day" fund, nor did he create spending cuts to apply some reduction towards the debt.

Posted by: ignorance rules ()
Date: December 02, 2010 05:09PM

The budget and the deficit are two different things. State and local governements are required to balance their budgets each year. They can, however borrow money for "big projects" such as construction, roads, bridges, etc. These large expenses do not come out of the FOUR BILLION DOLLAR ANNUAL budget-of course not-that goes to the running of the bloated governement.

When Fairfax ended up with a tiny surplus-they took in a bit more than the budget projected, what did they do with it?

They gave raises out to county employees. And the republicans voted right along with the dems.

To the poster who compares govt workers with private-nice try. IBM, Lockheed, Bank of America can pay their employees whatever they want to. Why? Because they are accountable to the shareholders of their respective companies. Joe's dry Cleaners can pay the guy who irons shirts $100k per year if he wants. He won't, but he is free to do so. Govt workers are PAID BY THE TAXPAYERS.

Do you understand the difference?

Posted by: worth it? ()
Date: December 27, 2010 12:27PM

Salaries of local government brass top Biden's, Cabinet secretaries'

Fairfax County Local Government Montgomery County salaries

By: Brian Hughes 12/27/10 6:05 AM

Examiner Staff Writer Montgomery County's top administrator banks a higher salary than the vice president of the United States. Ditto for Fairfax County's executive. And the District's police chief is paid more than the chief justice of the U.S. Supreme Court and speaker of the House.
Dozens of local officials earn better wages than the nation's marquee power players under compensation packages that soar past those for comparable positions statewide, showing that smaller-scale, public-sector jobs don't always come with a pay cut.

The benchmark for managers' salaries has jumped well beyond the six-figure plateau, as some command wages around a quarter-million dollars each year. Those in charge of the behind-the-scenes operation of thousands of municipal workers often enjoy better pay than elected officials.

Montgomery County Chief Administrative Officer Timothy Firestine earns more than $266,000 annually, and Fairfax County Executive Anthony Griffin nets $240,000 -- even with pay freezes. D.C. City Administrator Neil Albert, who also fills an appointed position, makes $225,000.

Yet, that money is pocket change compared with the salaries of school superintendents and higher eduction officials lining the upper echelon of county and state payrolls. Outgoing Montgomery County Schools Superintendent Jerry Weast, for example, earned nearly $500,000 this year, including benefits.

Some analysts say the lucrative salaries are excessive considering the massive shortfalls afflicting jurisdictions throughout the Washington region.?

"It's not as if there is a shortage of talent all around the East Coast for government positions," said Pete Sepp, executive vice president of the National Taxpayers Union. "Eventually, the argument that you have to raise pay to attract good people runs into a brick wall. These salaries are simply ratcheting up expectations."

But defenders say local governments have to overcome the cost-of-living shock that keeps otherwise qualified people from applying for top posts.

"I think the salaries are fair," said Fairfax County Supervisor Jeff McKay, D-Lee. "There is no more expensive place to live than Northern Virginia. It's not only that; we're competing with the federal government. It's the only way to remain competitive."

McKay said the county is having trouble finding someone to fill outgoing Transportation Director Kathy Ichter's post -- she earned more than $156,000 this year.

Even without overtime pay, Fairfax has nearly 800 employees bringing in salaries of more than $100,000 a year.

Still, department heads in Montgomery are paid upward of $40,000 a year more than their counterparts across the Potomac. The average employee costs taxpayers roughly $100,000 annually between compensation and benefits, a recent report from the county's Office of Legislative Oversight found.

And at least 50 county managers and directors are paid more than Gov. Martin O'Malley's $150,000 base salary -- including County Executive Ike Leggett's spokesman Patrick Lacefield, who makes $165,000. Nearly 1,200 employees make more than $100,000 when overtime is included.

"It's not that surprising," Lacefield said of the discrepancy between local and state salaries. "Sometimes the people at the state level don't have as much responsibility as those at the county level."

Critics brushed aside that logic.

"In my opinion, there are many senior managers receiving wages significantly above the market value," said Gino Renne, president of the Montgomery County Municipal and County Government Employees Organization, who contends his members are bearing the burden of excessive administrative salaries. "Trust me, I work with them every day. These are not the brightest people. These are consummate bureaucrats focused merely on maintaining the status quo."

To combat shortfalls, the District and Fairfax and Montgomery counties froze salaries this fiscal year.

The affluent Maryland jurisdiction also furloughed all nonschool employees, and officials say salary reductions are on the table as a way to combat seemingly annual budget shortfalls.

bhughes@washingtonexaminer.com

Posted by: union influence ()
Date: December 27, 2010 12:32PM

The power of unions: Average stagehand at Lincoln Center in NYC makes $290K a year

By: Mark Hemingway 12/27/10 11:16 AM

Columnist James Ahearn of New Jersey's Bergen Record has a great column today on, of all things, the stagehands at New York city's top performing arts venues such as Lincoln Center and Carnegie Hall. These are not highly skilled or technical jobs but take a gander at how much they are paid:

At Avery Fisher Hall and Alice Tully Hall in Lincoln Center, the average stagehand salary and benefits package is $290,000 a year.

To repeat, that is the average compensation of all the workers who move musicians' chairs into place and hang lights, not the pay of the top five.

Across the plaza at the Metropolitan Opera, a spokesman said stagehands rarely broke into the top-five category. But a couple of years ago, one did. The props master, James Blumenfeld, got $334,000 at that time, including some vacation back pay.

Ahern also notes that the top paid stagehand at Carnegie Hall makes $422,599 a year in salary, plus $107,445 in benefits and deferred compensation. So why such exhorbitant pay? You probably already guessed that a union is involved:

How to account for all this munificence? The power of a union, Local 1 of the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees. "Power," as in the capacity and willingness to close most Broadway theaters for 19 days two years ago when agreement on a new contract could not be reached.

Wakin reported that this power was palpable in the nervousness of theater administrators and performers who were asked to comment on the salary figures.

Kelly Hall-Tompkins, for one, said, "The last thing I want to do is upset the people at Carnegie Hall. I'd like to have a lifelong relationship with them." She is a violinist who recently presented a recital in Weill Hall, one of the smaller performance spaces in the building.

She said she begrudged the stagehands nothing: "Musicians should be so lucky to have a strong union like that." Uh-huh.

Be sure and read Ahearn's whole column. And next time someone tells you unions are just about fair wages for an honest day's labor, remember that's not always the case. All too often they're about power and greed.

Posted by: who cares? ()
Date: December 27, 2010 01:22PM

Don't the stagehands at the Lincoln Center, Carnegie Hall, etc. get paid for with private funds? Not public money? Why are you commenting on this on a forum for public employees' salaries? If you don't like how much people get paid at the Lincoln Center or Carnegie Hall or Verizon or Apple or whatever, just don't buy their product. Don't go to performances at those venues. Private companies can pay their employees whatever they want. Obviously those places want to pay them the money, regardless of unions. There has to be a reason.

Posted by: talk about ignorance ()
Date: December 27, 2010 10:10PM

ignorance rules Wrote:
> When Fairfax ended up with a tiny surplus-they
> took in a bit more than the budget projected, what
> did they do with it?
>
> They gave raises out to county employees. And the
> republicans voted right along with the dems.

Which asshole did you pull that out of?

Ain't been no raises in Fairfax County in years. Or are you talking about 2007 or before?

Posted by: firechief10 ()
Date: March 29, 2011 11:35AM

Fairfax County Fire and Rescue implimented a career developement program in early 1990's, demanding certain National Fire Academy Classes, National Fire Protection Associations certifcations, EMS levels of certifications and specific college classes and or degrees from all employees. The only other department requiring College was Arlington Va. Fire Dept. Fairfax Fire and EMS Personnel had to have this in order to even take a promotioanl test. You had to pre-qualify by having this education before being allowed to take a test for Lieutenant, Captain, Battalion Fire Chief and above. NO other jurisdiction in Northern Virginia was doing that. Not even DC fire and ems or the airports required the training Farifax did back then. Many still do not, and those that do, have lower training level standards or difficulty levels of those required by Fairfax County. Fairfax County was the first department in NOVa to have a Hazardous Materials team and while I was on it we responded to all of DC metro area, Northern Virginia and into the Shanadoah Valley, it was also the only department to have a technical rescue team / cave in team in the DC metro area in the 80s and 90s and also regularly responded into Maryland and most of Virginia as well as to Fla, when Huricane Andrew hit also to Turkey and Russia and of course more recently to Japan when the terrible earth quakes hit. Because Fairfax County Fire and Rescue mandated this training and The Professional Firefighters Union Local 2068 had the foresite to push for higher specialized training. You get outside of Fairax County into counties south and west of it and you drop in service level by 10,20 or 30 years worth of training and experience. I know, I am now Chief of a dept. in the Shenadoah Valley and there is a major difference and a long way to go to catch up to NOVA Area, esspecially Fairfax County Fire and EMS. So before you critize Fairfax County Fire and Rescue, be thankful you live there, many fire and EMS personal who work for Fairfax County live outside of the county, I grew up in Fairfax, went to school in Fairfax and spent 20 plus years working for the county, and had to move out in '82. I moved to Warren County, where I could afford to live, working as a firefighter EMT for Fairfax County Fire and Rescue making $17,900 a year. Living in Warren County was like being in the 1950s again (as far as emergency services are concerned) it isn't much better today. Educate yourself first!! Oh! And next time you have a fire or heart attack don't call 911 take care of it yourself...

Posted by: outragus ()
Date: March 29, 2011 08:12PM

The volunteer coordinators two people who run cert and liasion each make more than a firefighter. outragus.

Posted by: Aberdeen Proving Ground ()
Date: August 16, 2011 07:26PM

Wow ..... too many chiefs - not enough indians ... !!

Technicians and field personnel make sense

But fat chiefs .. ??

Posted by: per request ()
Date: September 20, 2011 03:57PM

Does anyone have the figures for year ending 6/30/2011?

Posted by: public employees rock! ()
Date: September 20, 2011 04:14PM

Student gets no-contact order against principal

Teen alleged school official threatened to cut rosary from around his neck with pocketknife

2011-09-20

BENTON CITY, Wash. — A student in Eastern Washington got a restraining order against his school's principal, alleging the man threatened to use a pocketknife to cut off the rosary the youth wears around his neck.

a student at Kiona-Benton City High School, got the restraining order Friday, the Tri-City Herald reported.

The principal, Wayne Barrett, was ordered to stay at least 100 feet way from Corral, but on Monday a Benton County judge modified that to 25 feet on school grounds or at school events. Barrett's attorney argued in court that the longer distance would effectively "render him unemployed," and Superintendent Rom Castilleja said it would be impossible for Barrett to obey the original order and do his job, the Herald reported.

Corral alleged that Barrett unfolded a pocketknife at school and threatened to cut off the rosary that Corral was raising, the Herald reported. Rosaries are prohibited because they are associated with gangs, the newspaper said.

Corral said he felt harassed since the incident, according to his petition to the court.

cost the almighty taxpayers?
Date: November 11, 2011 08:31PM

So, what will this cost the almighty taxpayers?

The Board is wrong as to law VA does not permit them to kite checks unless wholely collectable. They are relying on excuses "but other counties did it".

KPMG LLP signed 2010 as "unqualified opinion". But KPMG would sign toilet paper if you paid them to.

Re: cost the almighty taxpayers?
Date: November 11, 2011 08:33PM

excuse me. VA law is wholely and multiply clear that counties cannot float bonds that are not surely covered by tax (without idiotic reports, in cash i mean).

Re: cost the almighty taxpayers?
Date: November 11, 2011 08:41PM

I like the angle though "17x what other people get. Why is because in past "depressions" those weren't so able to point to riches being mis-directed. The more rich they are the harder it is to justify a $6.75 / hr. wage for what sometimes is skilled and hard labor.

Posted by: Keith ()
Date: November 22, 2011 08:22PM

I hope you know her and you are not judging by the picture alone.

Posted by: Olive fairfax ()
Date: July 21, 2012 07:32PM

What are the salaries for 2011?

Posted by: taxes are not enough! ()
Date: July 21, 2012 07:53PM

Exon Mobile is leaving.

Marriott is next.

Watch our state turn to shit.

I guess on a good note our roads will be less fucked.

Posted by: phew ()
Date: July 21, 2012 09:13PM

All the money in DC needs somewhere nice to live and I'm sure it'll never be Maryland. So we're oddly safe from the worst that can happen... but yeah it's getting worse day by day.

Posted by: scranton ()
Date: July 21, 2012 09:18PM

Do like we did in Scranton, Pa. Minimum wage for every one of the lazy motherfuckers.

Posted by: Cry Baby ()
Date: July 22, 2012 01:17PM

Are they worth it,
If you had some drive and motovation you also could earn this kind of money. Don't cry about because you are lazy and expect a handout.

Posted by: nepotism ()
Date: July 23, 2012 12:18PM

Cry Baby Wrote:
> Are they worth it,
> If you had some drive and motovation you also
> could earn this kind of money. Don't cry about
> because you are lazy and expect a handout.

Good luck getting one of these fat six figure salaries....unless you are married/related to a current employee...don't bother to apply.

Posted by: bds ()
Date: July 23, 2012 10:26PM

nepotism Wrote:
> Cry Baby Wrote:
> -----
> > Are they worth it,
> > If you had some drive and motovation you also
> > could earn this kind of money. Don't cry about
> > because you are lazy and expect a handout.
>
>
> Good luck getting one of these fat six figure
> salaries....unless you are married/related to a
> current employee...don't bother to apply.

You got that right. If you ain't in the "family", you'll never get anywhere with Fairfax County jobs.

I work for the County and the first thing I tell the new guys is to watch what they say because all the motherfuckers in management and most of the lesser employees are related. Unless you know for a fact that they aren't "family", keep your mouth shut.

Posted by: screwed public ()
Date: July 24, 2012 12:21PM

It's not what you know, it's who you know. This issue needs a fresh thread.

Posted by: 2009 SALARIES ()
Date: July 25, 2012 08:33PM

Posted by: hostileprophet ()
Date: July 26, 2012 01:15AM

Probably not many because they know just how much of their taxes would be wasted. I saw a 4 story building built on county property in 1996...wasn't used for over 7 years. They built the building so they wouldn't have to give the money back to the general fund. Waste....this is what your taxes go to. That's why I moved out of the county

Posted by: Brook ()
Date: August 18, 2012 09:41AM

can you provide the salaries for ffx county social workers within DFS? im curious to see the difference in salary from within the agency.

THANKS SO MUCH!!!!

Posted by: Icantfindthesite ()
Date: December 02, 2012 07:37AM

Where do I find The salaries for fairfax teachers as well as fairfax government? The only site I can find is the fairfax teacher salary scale.its suppose to be public info. But it's impossible to find.

Posted by: is this legal? ()
Date: January 29, 2013 03:03PM

is this legal?

Posted by: Too Much ()
Date: February 01, 2013 04:06PM

How many assistant chiefs in Fairfax County Fire and Rescue make over $150,000 a year. Three. One makes over $160,000 a year plus collects the same amount in his county retirement. He is making over $300,000 a year and the Fire Chief is making well over $400,000 a year. What a fricking scam!

Two of the assistant chiefs make paramedic incentive pay for another $7000 plus but dont ride an ambulance. We just dont get it.

Does anyone know anyone that look into this?

By the way all 8 or 9 deputy chiefs make about $150,000 and they dont live in the county so they can drive their county vehicles to Loudoun, Winchester, Haymarket and parts of Maryland everyday with their EZ pass. Trying to find out if there is a citizen group willing to look into this for us.

Posted by: Lilswamp ()
Date: February 09, 2013 07:46AM

Fairfax County, VA Employee Salaries - 2009
www.scribd.com/doc/.../Fairfax-County-VA-Employee-Salaries-2009
Fairfax County, VA Employee Salaries - 2009

Posted by: kUDNG ()
Date: February 09, 2013 09:23AM

change in last decade Wrote:
> Fairfax Pays 24 Employees More Than $100,000 Each;
> County Tops Area Governments in High-Salaried
> Workers
>
> The Washington Post | October 3, 1996 | Tod
> Robberson
>
>
> Notice the headline from 1996?
>
> Fairfax County now pays nearly 800 employees over
> $100,000.
>
> Has the private sector had wage growth like this?

No, and those salaries are outrageous. Public servant? My ass!

Posted by: jUtu6 ()
Date: February 09, 2013 09:25AM

Too Much Wrote:
> How many assistant chiefs in Fairfax County Fire
> and Rescue make over $150,000 a year. Three. One
> makes over $160,000 a year plus collects the same
> amount in his county retirement. He is making over
> $300,000 a year and the Fire Chief is making well
> over $400,000 a year. What a fricking scam!
>
> Two of the assistant chiefs make paramedic
> incentive pay for another $7000 plus but dont ride
> an ambulance. We just dont get it.
>
> Does anyone know anyone that look into this?
>
> By the way all 8 or 9 deputy chiefs make about
> $150,000 and they dont live in the county so they
> can drive their county vehicles to Loudoun,
> Winchester, Haymarket and parts of Maryland
> everyday with their EZ pass. Trying to find out
> if there is a citizen group willing to look into
> this for us.

Why don't you get the Post's Tom Jackman onto it? He seems to like these sorts of things...

Posted by: TAX PAYER ()
Date: March 25, 2013 05:23PM

I requested one today hope to get a respone for free

Posted by: WhatAboutYou ()
Date: March 25, 2013 07:28PM

I think that every yaywho that asks for someone salary should have to divulge their own salary.

How 'bout them apples!!!!!

Posted by: Special Ed ()
Date: March 25, 2013 09:24PM

Enough about the salaries - I think I am in love with my kid's special education administrator!

Anyone else know Bridget Gorey?

Posted by: I know her ()
Date: March 25, 2013 09:28PM

Special Ed Wrote:
> Enough about the salaries - I think I am in love
> with my kid's special education administrator!
>
> Anyone else know Bridget Gorey?

Gorey, Bridget M
Educational Specialist, Pyramid Procedural Support
Fairfax Ridge
$90,076

Posted by: Special Ed ()
Date: March 25, 2013 09:31PM

I thi nk she is hot. And now to find out she makes 90K? Hmmmmm...
Do you know if she is single? What else can you find out?

Posted by: Dad ()
Date: April 16, 2013 10:06PM

She is a bitch. Know it all. Nice tits, though.

Posted by: m. tracy ()
Date: July 29, 2013 11:54AM

checking out police salaries for 2010

Date: July 29, 2013 11:56AM

trying to verify salaries of officer ziants and alexia calamos

Date: July 29, 2013 11:57AM

still trying to verify salaries

Posted by: Sue v ()
Date: January 28, 2016 11:17PM

Did anyone asked for a 2016 one?

Posted by: Edwards S ()
Date: January 30, 2016 08:28PM

Nope they are not

Posted by: 10yrcount ()
Date: July 17, 2021 09:46AM

What's These salaries Look Like 10 years Later?

Pages: Previous123All
Current Page: 3 of 3

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.