HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Turn lanes that need to be longer
Posted by: Joe Shmoe Commuter ()
Date: June 21, 2007 10:44AM

Everyone knows them. Those left turn lanes that back all the way up and spill into the left lane of whatever road you're on.

The only reason I'm complaining is that they're so easy to fix! Couple guys, some new asphalt, slightly longer lines, done. Or so you'd think. In the face of our horrific bureaucracy these projects take YEARS to plan and complete, so lets start the process now.

Where are the too-short turn lanes on your commute?

The ones that pop into my head at the moment are:

- West Ox Rd/Fairfax County Parkway
This one backs up every morning without fail. Traffic knows to stay to the right if you don't want to be stuck needlessly far back.

- Monument Drive/Fairfax County Parkway
This usually isn't too big of an issue but the turn late is short as hell to begin with which has dangerous consequences.

- Lee Rd/Rt. 50
The intersection to turn into where the new Costco is in Chantilly. There are two turn-lanes here and they're reasonably long but I've still seen them back up occasionally causing chaos on rt. 50. There's plenty of shoulder room, just draw the lines longer!

Honorable mention:
-Waples Mill Rd/Rt. 50
They finally fixed this one, but it was a horror for years! Much longer than it needed to be.

My commute around the county is limited, what are the other intersections I'm missing?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Turn lanes that need to be longer
Posted by: bdimag ()
Date: June 21, 2007 10:49AM

Better: flying cars

btw, sry..

I dont want to think of the intersections.. they gimme bad dreams!

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: June 21, 2007 11:18AM

Tip for the West Ox, Parkway, 29 interchange: Go under it. Then take a left on Piney Branch and then right onto West Ox. Less traffic lights and less cars. Its puts you out by the Sunoco.

Posted by: duh ()
Date: June 21, 2007 12:20PM

The one that drives me crazy is Rt 123 northbound turning left at Braddock Rd.

I think that one could be eased by a longer green left turn arrow...left turners back up cuz the light's too short!

Posted by: Adam ()
Date: June 21, 2007 02:25PM

123 and Hunter Mill Rd, Taking a left from 123 on to Hunter Mill. Every rush hour it backs up the entire left lane. I don't know how they could ever fix it. There is no more room. LoL

Posted by: stinkypoon ()
Date: June 21, 2007 03:28PM

Adam Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 123 and Hunter Mill Rd, Taking a left from 123 on
> to Hunter Mill. Every rush hour it backs up the
> entire left lane. I don't know how they could
> ever fix it. There is no more room. LoL

They can't, there is no room at all.

-route 50 and Pickett, west-bound on 50. The lanes are reasonably long, but the spillover is bad.
-on 29 trying to take a left into monument. Not only does it back up constantly, but it's really dangerous because it's right below the peak of a hill and anyone going a decent speed in the left lane doesn't have time/space to brake or maneuver.
-29 westbound in the camp washington area, particularly at jermantown road
-50 westbound in the camp washington area, particularly at jermantown road. this one is a real pain in the ass. it's not that many cars are in the turn lane, in fact most never are because the left lane clogs up so fast that you have to wait an entire cycle just to get in the lane, than another to turn. It makes no sense how short it is.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: June 21, 2007 05:33PM

Southbound 123 and Old Courthouse road in Tysons.

Posted by: cw ()
Date: June 21, 2007 07:30PM

The fairfax parkway at fair lakes parkway is a major pain in the ass from all directions. Originally it was supposed to be a cloverleaf taking the traffic on ramps away from the Fairfax Parkway. The cheap bastards to save a few dimes went ahead and made it a regular intersection.

Anyone that doesnt use that intersection and may have to at some time be careful. The lights mean nothing, five or ten cars will drive through after the light turns red. The lights are so long and only so many cars can turn.

To me it is the meade skelton of all county intersections.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: June 21, 2007 08:48PM

I once hand-counted 13 cars go through there after a red light, it's the truth. I was pretty amazed.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: June 21, 2007 10:26PM

definitely agree with 'duh' on this one...turning left onto northbound 123 from braddock rd is AWFUL

Posted by: El Mono Rojo ()
Date: June 22, 2007 01:18PM

http://www.elmonorojo.com/

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2014 04:03PM by El Mono Rojo.

Posted by: Nik ()
Date: June 22, 2007 08:15PM

I nominate the right turn lane on Braddock Rd/Guinea Rd.

guineabraddock.png

----------------
WHERE'S THE BEEF

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2007 12:39PM by Nik.

Posted by: duh ()
Date: June 22, 2007 08:19PM

cc Wrote:
> definitely agree with 'duh' on this one...turning
> left onto northbound 123 from braddock rd is AWFUL

Actually, I was talking about the left turn onto Westbound Braddock Rd from northbound 123.

The one you mentioned has extremely long double left turn lanes...but the light is WAY too short...about 5 cars max in each lane get through on that green arrow.

It's a little longer during the A.M. rush...but still too short.

Posted by: fuck that ()
Date: June 23, 2007 12:29AM

fuck lengthening turn lanes. You really think lengthening a turn lane by 8-9 car lengths is going to make a difference dummy? 9 extra cars, you imbecile!

Everyone needs to start riding scooters. That would solve the congestion. Lenthening a turn lane is like the most retarded dumbass shit I've heard since 1993.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: June 23, 2007 07:45AM

fuck that Wrote:
> Everyone needs to start riding scooters.

lol! if that happened, i guarantee that the number of deaths will go up by at least 10 times. better yet though, road rage deaths will go up even more than that. why flick someone off or yell swears at them when you can just kick over their scooter? i can image a 200 scooter pile-up on the beltway. your idea is much worse than the original poster's. hit yourself in the head with a tack hammer, it may dislodge some of the bong resin that's clouding your thinking.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: June 23, 2007 11:57AM

same with flying cars. the people who are able to drive them will not be able to b/c of all the terrible drivers.

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: June 23, 2007 12:19PM

what I hate is when there is a double turn lane and the person next to you ZOOMS ahead so they can cut in front of you. Especially the double turn lane leading into Fairlakes shopping center. The one that the left turn lane only goes left towards PETSMART and the right one only goes Right towards WALMART BEST BUY Etc etc

Date: June 23, 2007 09:54PM

I have a different issue. On Sunset Hills Road, at Isaac Newton Square I think. It's where the Kaiser Permanente is. If you're heading west on Sunset, turning left to head south into Kaiser Permanente or the other things, there should be a left turn arrow. When there's traffic and you only have the round green arrow, you never get to turn. It's actually faster to turn right, turn around in the parking lot and then go straight across. They badly need a left-turn arrow there during busy times, if not a left-turn lane.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: June 23, 2007 11:49PM

Isaac Newton Square? Stop monkeying around and it'll get easier.

I know bad joke

Posted by: cc ()
Date: June 24, 2007 02:20AM

the main problem with turning left on northbound 123 off braddock rd east is that traffic backs up down braddock rd so you can't even get to the turn lanes. and yes, the light is extremely short.

Posted by: joe ()
Date: June 24, 2007 08:11AM

Some turning lanes in annandale are only half a car wide... Did they hire illegals to paint the roads or something?

Posted by: stinkypoon ()
Date: June 24, 2007 02:51PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> Southbound 123 and Old Courthouse road in Tysons.

Oh shit forgot about that one. That is a winner, 100% guaranteed to spill over every light cycle.

Posted by: Lester Burnham ()
Date: June 25, 2007 09:08AM

cw Wrote:
> The fairfax parkway at fair lakes parkway is a
> major pain in the ass from all directions.
> Originally it was supposed to be a cloverleaf
> taking the traffic on ramps away from the Fairfax
> Parkway. The cheap bastards to save a few dimes
> went ahead and made it a regular intersection.
>
I think that there are plans to make this a flyover with funds from the commonwealth's new transportation funding with the parkway being the through lanes, similar to what they are doing on 28. It seems odd that southbound traffic in the evening is backed up more than northbound traffic in the morning.

I also agree that the left turn lane from 123 North to Braddock West is a mess all day. I will typically take Popes Head to the Parkway if I am heading out towards Centereville, but I am usually trying to get to either the North Hill neighborhood or Shirley Gate which means that I get stuck at this light. During the evening rush hour, I will cut through the University Mall shopping center in order to get onto Braddock heading west.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: June 25, 2007 10:13AM

fuck that Wrote:
> fuck lengthening turn lanes. You really think
> lengthening a turn lane by 8-9 car lengths is
> going to make a difference dummy? 9 extra cars,
> you imbecile!

At double turn lanes like Braddock/Guinea that's almost 20 cars. Dummy.

> Everyone needs to start riding scooters. That
> would solve the congestion. Lenthening a turn lane
> is like the most retarded dumbass shit I've heard
> since 1993.

Is that when VDOT hired you? Get back to work on encouraging GMU to make their Braddock sign a little bigger and brighter.

Posted by: I think?????? ()
Date: August 28, 2019 12:30PM

Burn the coal bump da thread

https://youtu.be/5oUlgUGGBM0
Attachments:
IMG_4834.JPG
IMG_4859.JPG
IMG_4811.GIF

Posted by: Saratoga Mayor ()
Date: August 28, 2019 01:20PM

Another shit design is coming off SB 95 at the heller/fox co parkway exit towards rolling road!

You have assholes that merge into the single lane(instead of going to Heller “exit only”)

Posted speed limit is 50mph, so most are going 60...
Then, that lane ends to goto Saratoga....u need to merge
Same time you have cars getting on the parkway

Next, you need to move over to go south on 286 at the next intersection.

This is the result of diversity in ffx county-not hiring engineers that know what to do, that are not promoted bc they have experience and knowledge and white, but “ let’s let Lil LaQuan from Howard propose some new ideas...”

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.