HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Chinese snow/ice traction for tires on Amazon. Cheap? ANY GOOD. Preparing for I-95.
Posted by: Icuis Von Pike IV ()
Date: January 18, 2022 05:28PM

61kt+d9btvL._AC_UY327_QL65_.jpg $40 10-count w/tax

615dUXm2cgL._AC_UY545_QL65_.jpg

* they don't 'much' on ice, a problem for VA, SC, other places

* cheap no, if you spend 15% on a (likely breaks if your stuck) you could have spent toward a "durable product lasting decades" - you've definitely swindled yourself

* anyone who's used "regular" zip-tie on tires, for a joke of traction, would tell you: they'll immediately rip out - wasting your zip-tie money / supply.

* and can those "cheap magnesium rims" really take hard hits the center legs or will they bend or snap a leg? the photos always show a rim that is "safe looking"

* the second kind use nylon straps. I have old "cable type" chains. I can't use them because the cloth dis-integrated during storage. Sneaky, right? Anyway - the metal parts holding the fabric will tear it apart - they use spikey metal to hold thread!! And: didn't even get out of the driveway: one of 4 straps loosened, then tore off - the cables twisted on one side. They only work when YOUR NOT STUCK. They don't have the balls to move the car if any force is needed.

* is plastic good on ice? NO. snow IDK but I KNOW plastic snaps easy in cold weather!

* gentle on roads, assuming you'd install them if the road is dry.

FOR STUPID MILLENIALS

s-l225.jpg

Why not to run rope or ties through your rim? THEY ARE VERY SENSATIVE to any ding dent or bend on the inside: once they bend a little they progressively get worse.

Never put something through steel rims: you'll have to buy new rims. That's 1980's know-how knowlege.

WEIGH IN. If you need to be on I-95 on a snow day - would you use these?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chinese snow/ice traction for tires on Amazon. Cheap? ANY GOOD. Preparing for I-95.
Posted by: 46ju75 ()
Date: January 18, 2022 05:35PM

61YUlLWErSL._AC_UY545_QL65_.jpg

THERE'S A RAGING DEBATE IF TIRE SOCKS ARE WORTH $100, $150 (the entry level cost of now durable snow chains, with the "top" level peaking at $500 for the best.)

snow chains are hard to install and (wear quickly) on dry pavement. definitely not for the elderly

but how many times (5x to 10x) are you getting under your car if your looping through the ORANGE straps??? you don't think you can grab the other side without greasing you new coat do you? nope. you have to get on the ground 5x i'd say, keep moving your car, or not wear a coat.

Re: Chinese snow/ice traction for tires on Amazon. Cheap? ANY GOOD. Preparing for I-95.
Posted by: 45uy6uj5 ()
Date: January 18, 2022 05:36PM

maxresdefault.jpg

Posted by: MR. GET REAL ()
Date: January 18, 2022 05:45PM

Snow socks are for snow NOT ICE btw NOT badly packed snow btw.

I SKIPPED SNOW TIRES ? NO... Other FFU article on that. Most people can't afford them: they're actually by far the most expensive solution period, most can't make the investment or garage space 4 winter tires hanging around. And all weather - they're usually 1/2 a lie 1/2 not, and everyone has that option.

CHAINS? well too obvious. Been around too long to discuss as if they hadn't.

Posted by: 566768767 ()
Date: January 18, 2022 06:03PM

little red riding hood

Posted by: 5y6uj56 ()
Date: January 18, 2022 06:10PM

71SX+RyVsNS._AC_UY545_QL65_.jpg Traction pads

WHAT? If my tire is iced it'd never grab plastic how do i get it under THEN? If it did grab: the spin would shoot the plastic out the other side !! (the nubs are definitely NOT for ice, they're smooth plastic). THE ADVERTISEMENT shows it being use IN A DESERT with an asian car. Think of how they are "weaseling" the "fitness of purpose" so that returns are not allowed.

CHINESE NEVER STOP SELLING BAD LYING ASS PRODUCTS: and this is one of them.

USE SAND. if you must use dirt rocks branches nearby. it's so obvious.

Posted by: 34yhj4 ()
Date: January 18, 2022 06:11PM

81aCj+5RlEL._AC_UY545_QL65_.jpg

if that looks "sturdy" to you??? i'll let someone else do the review on that one !!

Posted by: WARNING ()
Date: January 18, 2022 06:13PM

WARNING: zip ties you GET (see video) will be smaller (thinner, even other-colored) than they appear on Amazon photos

Posted by: 4y6i76 ()
Date: January 18, 2022 06:18PM

51sgF4sCiZL._AC_UY545_QL65_.jpg

My experience with "home depot cloth winch" are they are A BITCH. The cloth gets caught in the roller. The GEAR works ok ONCE in the tightening direction. It takes a diagram to figure out how to "unlock it", much moreso to RETRACT. and the gears - they bend and break (if you can't rectract it you CANNOT RE-USE IT. cloth winches "work?" but are absolutely un-reliable)

A car trying to get out of a tough spot, if it puts force on the chain: it will be ALLOT of force sometimes. It would tear and bend the little sheet-metal "gears" on the side in an instant.

WHERE'S THE ON BUTTON? WHERE'S THE OFF BUTTON? ah.... hope you have tools.

Posted by: 45y6u5656 ()
Date: January 18, 2022 06:21PM

81wYIoO4N7L._AC_UY545_QL65_.jpg51ZP4jvAZTL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Posted by: 45tty765 ()
Date: January 18, 2022 06:35PM

71Kk7lMdKRL._AC_UY545_QL65_.jpg

cable type. the little rollers don't work on ice. they are famous for having "a weak link attaching". if stuck, if they are a little loose: it will bend and tear out the wire possibly some brake components with it. there will be no way to re-install in the field if they even survive that they'll likely "need work" before installing again. they are ok for snow if you can assure they won't come loose?

Snow Chain Damage - please help... VW Vortex
https://www.vwvortex.com › ... › Golf V & Jetta V
Feb 15, 2009 — I wrapped the dangling cable around one of the other cables hoping it wouldn't come loose. A 1/4 mile later it came loose, I pulled over ...

Posted by: 56565 ()
Date: January 18, 2022 06:36PM

Snow Chains Are Potentially Dangerous For Modern Cars
https://www.uscannenbergmedia.com › 2017/02/18 › sno...
Feb 18, 2017 — "Cables usually work better than chains, because they fit better and don't come off as easily," Cornwell said. "But a good pair of cables can be ...

NO PROBLEM. WE RAN OUT OF CHIPS. THERE ARE NO NEW MODERN CARS !!

THEY LACKED ANY FEDUCIARY DUTY I KEEPING THE WHEEL AREA FREE OF DELICATE PARTS. THEY ARE SUCKY MILLENIALS AND GREEDY OLD MEN. THAT'S WHAT HAPPENED.

Posted by: devil asians ()
Date: January 18, 2022 06:53PM

51I-1FYJiUL._AC_UY545_QL65_.jpg

there are at LEAST 200 amazon pages flooded with this same product - making "looking at what stuff is for sale" impossible. DEVIL ASIANS!!!

Posted by: 56u6ik76 ()
Date: January 18, 2022 06:58PM

71y7ayGRMaL._AC_UY545_QL65_.jpg

$134 more expensive than real chain. they are "supposedly held" purely by some bungee cord. (absoltely no way that works - it's preposterous)

Posted by: 56u76ik86 ()
Date: January 18, 2022 06:59PM

so when you BRAKE the frozen plastic and bugee cord does what? right.

Posted by: 98236t ()
Date: January 18, 2022 07:00PM

AAA insurance:

SNOW TIRES DO NOT REDUCE STOPPING DISTANCE. Think of "stopping" and what kind of force that might exert on the tires and any (rickety) thing attacked to them

Posted by: 4yj7i56 ()
Date: January 18, 2022 07:04PM

81urZb5-U1L._AC_SR360,240_QL70_.jpg

absolutely laughable

Posted by: 4yju75 ()
Date: January 18, 2022 07:07PM

71iHCiWje7L._AC_UY545_QL65_.jpg

$$$expensive, look cool: the side rail holding it together: holed plastic and bugee cord. (they are very flimsy on the side)

Posted by: 45y6ju56 ()
Date: January 18, 2022 08:00PM

are-you-prepared-for-winter.jpg

if putting on "your chains" looks like this - you may have been ripped off

mqdefault_6s.webp?du=3000&sqp=CNaunY8G&r armadillo?

these are BAD. they are stamped metal (they will deform and fall off while using!!!). they "fit" together using little metal tabs (which will break off!!!) the "big bolt" only pulls them so the little metal tabs insert (just a few!!!) be really careful with MODERN SCAMMERS. THEY DON'T CARE if you die.

maxresdefault.jpg Farmer Mike made his own!

And has farm tools for doing it :)

You Tube has MANY NEW VIDEOS how to make your own. If you think it will cost less than buying chinese chains: you'll probably end up sad in the end.

maxresdefault.jpg :)

at $0.25/foot you will spend ~ $20. for not much more: you can get new chains! quality rope isn't cheap. don't be dumb: Farmer Mike would have done that if it worked!

hqdefault.jpg?sqp=-oaymwEcCOADEI4CSFXyq4

"The best DIY How to Build Car/Truck Snow/Tire Chains Cheap" (uses Made in USA chain 50ft, $70 ?! see how long they last? china will sell lesser quality chain set pre-made set for $70 if you look hard. Diy ain't easy these days ... INFLATION)

Posted by: 445y4 ()
Date: January 18, 2022 08:05PM

"The best DIY How to Build Car/Truck Snow/Tire Chains Cheap"

GETS A NOTE BECAUSE: he used nothing except good quality chain. no parts.

Posted by: 34t4544 ()
Date: January 18, 2022 08:14PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHvYMmT560A

this guy cheated, used "only chain" but the links were from old larger chain (ie, free for him and costly to buy separately)

Some videos show using new chain, purchase "industry standard parts" separately. Like repairing a car: building it from parts is way more expensive than buying new ones from the same people. They make dang sure of it.

Posted by: 54t6u56 ()
Date: January 18, 2022 09:54PM

Posted by: the chick factor ()
Date: January 21, 2022 10:21AM

BOTTOM LINES

Question: So is there such a thing as "a tire that doesn't wear quickly / wear badly unevenly" that's good on snow and ice? NO THERE IS NOT. And they are expensive. snow tires aren't ok for an icy hill and terrible on slick ice. They work best on very heavy equipment (so heavy your sedan's axels would break).

Question: So is there a product that can be easily installed not too expensive that works? NO THERE IS NOT*

"cable type" are cheap and good in snow, and aren't too good on ice. They aren't long lived may even come apart during even first use while driving (originally and still Made in the USA, I have an old set which needs repair after 1st use)

71Kk7lMdKRL._AC_UY545_QL65_.jpg

Chains aren't for the "light hearted" people avoid them? They are harder than cable to find Made in the USA. They require more effort to install and use.

hqdefault.jpg?sqp=-oaymwEcCOADEI4CSFXyq4

The CHINESE AMAZON products - those are terrible. they are more a hastle to install than chains and they won't protect you - exactly the rip-off scheme you've come to expect from cheap imports.

Question: BIG GOV WILL SALT ROADS, PLOW and you'll be billed for it MORE THAN for buying a snow product. More and more chinese infrastructure (ie auto parts) are involved. Why are there so many accidents and I-95 recently had people stuck for up to 40 hr? Is DEMOCRAT GOV a cure for snow or a spending measure that benefits china and democrats more than it does drivers?

Posted by: the chick factor ()
Date: January 21, 2022 10:26AM

BIG GOV SAYS: "don't go out and you won't get stuck or have to wait for a plow"

!!!! BUT BIG GOV is who was on I-95 when it shut down !!!! "they need a crisis"

You can't call big gov if it snows while your in the store / at work - they will tell you call a tow truck (which won't be available on a snow day)

Posted by: to be aware of ()
Date: January 21, 2022 11:05AM

erik-mclean-qNnIm92seeI-unsplash.jpg?w=6

TRACTION DEVICES DO NOT HELP SMALL CARS if there's any appreciable snow on the road. It only takes a few inches to where the car 'BOTTOMS OUT'. ie if you had chains it'd only cause snow to rip off your bumper

No traction device can help today's cheaper made low to ground cars

Re: ALL-WEATHER USA TIRES. TINY TREAD ASIAN TIRES ARE ILLEGAL IN THE WINTER. cop told me

http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/3793377/3803764.html#msg-3803764

Posted by: Tires with Free Road Maps ()
Date: January 21, 2022 11:23AM

I only use Michelin Tires and they always throw in some Michelin Road Maps for free which is nice. These French tires beat out the American brands in quality every time. Don't buy tyres or chains on Amazon. You will get duds. The last thing you want is to be stranded on the mountain pass.

Posted by: 45 ()
Date: January 21, 2022 11:56AM

has ANYONE tried ANY of those chinese traction devices?

Posted by: Chains or stay home ()
Date: January 21, 2022 12:21PM

Just use chains. The Chinese traction devices are actually very, very illegal in some counties and states, especially where chains are mandatory. Virginia law varies by county. Chains aren't great on ice, but they work just fine on snow and hills.

Posted by: devil asians ()
Date: January 21, 2022 03:54PM

s-l225.jpg

notice how the "STRAP" ads avoid the topic of RIM COMPATIBILITY and RIM SCRATCHES" (cost of $$$)

steel rims have a single steel circle in the middle, not double: just one. just a small dent or bend in this cause un-stoppable pressure to pull in the outer rim. once that happens, the rim will soon bend further and further be un-usable. it's why your never supposd to loop anything through steel rims (ie, like rope).

8148o9t7AOL._AC_UY436_QL65_.jpg

"strong ice-breaking power. with -skid nails, it can effectively play the ice-breaking and -skid function"

FACT: smooth nylon breaks in cold weather and does NOT reduce stopping distance.

FACT: the advertiser is lying there are no "nails" (nor any metals) in the product. FACT: the advertised didn't say if "skid nails" ARE INCLUDED. FACT: there are no -nails the ad is lying.

"It can be applied to all the models of the tire and universal vehicle" LIES. it cannot be used with steel rims which ALLOT OF CARS HAVE for cost saving and fuel saving reasons: much lighter and less expensive and "mag" wheels.

"do not steer much or brake much with product on car" NOW THAT I BELIEVE

Posted by: 545ty6u45 ()
Date: January 21, 2022 04:00PM

#1 carbon steel #30 chain is cheaper than plastic straps - when asia and amazon are involved in the selling. IT'S A PLAIN FACT

#2 chains don't go through the rims , in USA, for VERY GOOD REASONS with an 'S'. do asians think Americans are stupid - like we never thought of or tied that and SHOT IT DOWN BECAUSE IT DIDN'T WORK / caused damage?

yea like we're stupid and didn't think of that right?

Posted by: Étienne Arnaud Esq. ()
Date: January 21, 2022 04:46PM

Fais attention! éviter le banc de neige. chaînes ou pas de chaînes. Tabarnac!!! Crisse que ça m'énarve!

The § 46.2-1044 of the Code of Virginia allows chains and tire with studs with certain limitations. It is permitted when required for safety because of snow, ice, or other conditions. Your vehicle may not exceed a gross weight of 10,000 pounds.

https://www.mcdonaldinjurylaw.com/blog/auto-accident-news/virginia-snow-chain-laws/

Posted by: Solar XS Baby! ()
Date: January 21, 2022 04:54PM

Solar XS tires are made in China and are very inexpensive but they are higher quality than any American made tire. I have them on all three of my vehicles. I have a old Ford 500 with a set of Solar XS tires that have been on the road for 60,000 miles and they still have plenty of tread left. You can order them from Walmart.

Posted by: t5y54 ()
Date: January 22, 2022 11:12AM

attachment.php?attachmentid=1202245&stc= ILLEGAL IN VA

made in USA, made illegal during obama (see article for proof, the laws code)

2000000003.jpg many laws against

made in USA, made illegal as they could during obama

and new prices sky high - news most of us have heard, and news many didn't realize ...

Re: ALL-WEATHER USA TIRES. TINY TREAD ASIAN TIRES ARE ILLEGAL IN THE WINTER. cop told me

http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/3793377/3803764.html#msg-3803764

Posted by: Snow driver ()
Date: January 22, 2022 11:47AM

Those plastic chains are garbage, they will fall off in a few miles

Posted by: n45nj4 ()
Date: January 26, 2022 04:01PM

s

Posted by: 4trhy34 ()
Date: December 13, 2022 08:54PM

Posted by: 324345y ()
Date: January 15, 2024 03:24AM

DEMOCRAT ANSWER - COUNTERFEIT MONEY - BILL YOUR IN THE BLACK NEIGHBORS FOR USING COUNTRY EQUIPMENT TO "REMOVE SNOW" SO THAT YOU CAN GET MILK WITHOUT WAITING A DAY FOR IT TO MELT

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.