HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
what would you do?
Posted by: just curious ()
Date: June 16, 2007 04:01PM

I expect to get some smartass answers but here goes. Last December I was buying my girlfriend a wedding ring. I went to Mervis next to Tysons Corner. Some woman took down my name and told me to take a seat in an office, which I did. She kept coming in and out but never really helped me pick out a ring or answer any questions. It was obvious she thought I didnt have the money to buy anything that was worth her spending time on me.

For the record I had my checkbook with a $32,000 balance in it, my credit cards have a limit of $45,000 and more if needed. I am not rich but I did ok in the stock run up years ago. I was dressed in a pair of clean blue jeans and polo shirt with a windbreaker. Nothing shabby but not a three piece suit either. I ended up walking out without seeing a single ring.

My question is even after this amount of time has passed should I just get over it or do I have a right to be pissed off? Sorry the story is this long but wanted to get in a few facts.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: what would you do?
Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: June 16, 2007 04:02PM

5 months of being pissed off over nothing does seem like a long time, to me. Others may disagree.

Posted by: Nik ()
Date: June 16, 2007 04:11PM

do a barrel roll

----------------
WHERE'S THE BEEF

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: June 16, 2007 04:13PM

RESton Peace Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 5 months of being pissed off over nothing does
> seem like a long time, to me. Others may
> disagree.

lol, it's true.

just curious,
   i would have asked, "are you going to help me or do i need to go to another jeweler?" if they didnt help me immediately, i would leave and go to another jeweler.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: June 16, 2007 04:18PM

if they didnt help me immediately, i would leave and go to another jeweler.

Me too, especially since there's another big jewelery store right down the street from there, and a few in both malls.

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: June 16, 2007 04:50PM

$32000 balance in your checking account and $45000 available in credit cards.... Either you are really not smart or a liar. Never talk about your finances on the internet, even anonymously....

That being said, you say you filled out paperwork... Did the paperwork include your SS#. If so, it takes them 3 minutes or less to run your credit. If by their lax standards, you did not qualify for X dollars of credit, then she would ignore you and hope you would go away.

Depending on your credit score and some other factors, you are granted a credit limit. Your limit may not have been worth her time.

Go to the nearest circuit city and you will see people in the credit office get credit that the clerk announces to everyone else in the waiting room (and the salesperson). "Mr. Ferfux, you were approved for $500 credit... Mr. Gravis you were approved for $1200 credit... Mr Reston Peace, you were approved for $12,000 credit." Actually, when you get approved for a high number they don't shout it out in front of everybody.

This would be my guess. And yes, car dealers and high ticket salespeople are supposed to run credit (with or without your permission) if you plan on writing them a check.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: June 16, 2007 10:36PM

"just curious", how long did you wait in the office? I know I have a very low tolerance for waiting. In that situation if I was dropping a good chunk of cash I don't have any problem walking out as soon as I first start feeling annoyed. I wouldn't even ask, I'd just walk. There are plenty of jewelry stores around. I think the most I would do it give them a note describing what happened along with the salesperson's name. You never know, they might offer you a discount for coming back and giving them another shot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2007 10:37PM by pgens.

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: June 17, 2007 02:16AM

Funny, I never have to wait at bluenile.com

Posted by: Dirty Jersey ()
Date: June 18, 2007 10:56AM

Dont dress like a scrub

Posted by: MBF ()
Date: June 18, 2007 11:22AM

I wouldn't have waited too long before deciding they didn't deserve my money. Tyson's Corner is jewelry store alley. You should've left soon after realizing you were being ignored.

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: June 18, 2007 02:15PM

I would have busted the place up with a sledge hammer. Fuck that bitch.

Posted by: Tia2 ()
Date: June 18, 2007 04:20PM

just curious Wrote:
>
> My question is even after this amount of time has
> passed should I just get over it or do I have a
> right to be pissed off? Sorry the story is this
> long but wanted to get in a few facts.

If you feel that you were dis-respected there is nothing you can do about it; I guarentee that the clerk won't remember you.

If you got a ring and she said yes - move on. If you did not get a ring or you did but you returned it because she said no - move on. Life is way too short to spend time being angry or upset because a stranger who you will never see again or invite into your life did something to make you angry "one day!"

Posted by: bdimag ()
Date: June 19, 2007 04:01PM

yes.. my motto is, if it aint worth remembering: forget about it!

I just made that up, but I think i'll keep it!

Posted by: IMIM ()
Date: June 27, 2007 02:54AM

I am pretty sure that running a credit check without your approval/consent is a violation of law. Car dealers are notorious for doing this when they take your license for the test drive.

Any creditors or utility companies (that you have accounts with)can run them annually as part of your agreement. Run your credit report through equifax and if an inquiry shows up from the jewler, file a formal complaint with the BBB etc. and hem them up.

Posted by: Fairfax MF---er ()
Date: June 27, 2007 10:09AM

just curious Wrote:

>
> My question is even after this amount of time has
> passed should I just get over it or do I have a
> right to be pissed off?

Yes

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: June 27, 2007 10:54AM

IMIM Wrote:
> I am pretty sure that running a credit check
> without your approval/consent is a violation of
> law. Car dealers are notorious for doing this
> when they take your license for the test drive.
>
> Any creditors or utility companies (that you have
> accounts with)can run them annually as part of
> your agreement. Run your credit report through
> equifax and if an inquiry shows up from the
> jewler, file a formal complaint with the BBB etc.
> and hem them up.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.