HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous123AllNext
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Beltway crash kills 4 teens
Posted by: sensible driver ()
Date: June 25, 2007 07:05PM

ELag Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just want to put out there that all of you who
> want to sit around and bad mouth any of these
> girls, should shut your mouths and stop typing.
> You most likely didnt know any of them. I
> personally only had chance to know one of them and
> loved her dearly. Like a sister. And now she is
> not here to call and say hi, to wave, or to do
> anything for that matter. You are ridiculous.

Nah, actually you don't have to know the girl at all to know that she made an obviously stupid mistake. It would have been stupid even if it wasn't fatal. I haven't seen anyone on here tearing anyone's life apart or whatever you said. All people are really doing, I think, is trying to expose this as a lesson because most people around here suck at driving. These are facts. I'm sure she was of great moral character even though she got DUIs and rode around with alcohol. OK. Kind of irrelevant, she still made a costly choice. It is sad, but I don't think people are trying to make light of her mistakes--at least I hope not

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: June 25, 2007 07:07PM

agreed, less years of experience driving.

Posted by: digweed ()
Date: June 25, 2007 11:27PM

Please, parents, if you don't teach your kids anything else about driving, teach them 1) to wear their seatbelts and 2) that if they miss their exit to just keep going and U-turn later.

Posted by: digweed ()
Date: June 25, 2007 11:32PM

http://www.wtopnews.com/index.php?nid=25&sid=1169283
""There are so many decisions coming at the driver and it's coming at 75 [mph] or more an hour....it's overwhelming. You need to be a fighter jet pilot to get through there and understand what you're doing," he says."
If it's coming at 75 mph or more you're doing 20 mph or more over the speed limit.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: June 26, 2007 05:57AM

digweed Wrote:
> http://www.wtopnews.com/index.php?nid=25&sid=11692
> 83
> ""There are so many decisions coming at the driver
> and it's coming at 75 or more an hour....it's
> overwhelming. You need to be a fighter jet pilot
> to get through there and understand what you're
> doing," he says."
> If it's coming at 75 mph or more you're doing 20
> mph or more over the speed limit.

As posted before, this was a quote from the father who lives in another state. The signs guiding drivers where these girls were going start miles in advance. So yes, if you choose to ignore sings until you get to the mixing bowl then it will be harder to navigate. I'm not saying the mixing bowl is as easy as some highway in Nebraska, but that statement probably sets the stage for some kind of lawsuit. IF what he said were true we'd have forty accidents a day there.

Driver of car on arrest list for June 5
Posted by: TRICKIE ()
Date: June 28, 2007 06:19AM

I just checked over the arrest list from a few weeks ago since it is downloaded on Wed. night. (Thanks for the link, Cary) Elaine Thackston again was nabbed by cops for speeding on June 4. It gives her address as Troy, NH. She was in a 25moh zone going 40 to 45. What date was the accident? Has the toxicology report ever been published. It seems her friends who have been posting here seem to have seen evidence of no alcohol but I would like to know what has come out of the police department.

Trickie

Date: June 28, 2007 06:50AM

The accident was June 14, I believe. The toxicology report hasn't been released to any press sources I follow. Then again they seem to get their news bites from here.

Date: June 28, 2007 06:54AM

Great! Maybe they will mention Fairfax Underground again. They even showed my name on TV. I was thrilled.

Trickie

Date: June 28, 2007 06:55AM

An article published yesterday mentions the speeding ticket:

http://www.connectionnewspapers.com/article.asp?article=83772&paper=0&cat=122

Posted by: SRE ()
Date: June 28, 2007 08:41AM

From the published article:
At 10 p.m. on a weekday evening this is still a very busy stretch of highway. Though the speed limit is posted at 60, the traffic moves at 75 miles-per-hour or more.

When did the speed limit on the beltway go up to 60?

Also from the article:
Richard Petkoff, whose daughter Lydia died in the crash, said he is most concerned about large trucks being on the road with cars.

Yea....... Right...... it's not the fault of the girls, it is because of the "large trucks". I read somewhere (a while ago.... need to look up the statistics) that over ~80% of all accidents involving a "large truck" and a private auto have been determined to be the fault of the private auto.

I guess Richard is right! Maybe large trucks should not be on the road with cars. Get those silly cars off of the roads so the trucks can get from point "A" to "Zed" without the safety issue of dealing with the cars!

Richard, I guess you will not be driving on the roads that the large trucks drive on... After all, that is what you are "most concerned about". Rather than point the blame somewhere else, do something about it.

For some reason I doubt that Richard Petkoff will stop driving on the same roads as the "large trucks".

Posted by: duh ()
Date: June 28, 2007 11:46PM

"... On June 5 of this year Thackston was charged with speeding and a hearing had been set for July 27."

Mmmm...tough way to beat a ticket.

Posted by: Maxi ()
Date: July 03, 2007 09:11PM

To those of you who have used this site for there own benefit, you sicken me. How does it help the families of these young women to denegrate everything that they did that night? They are gone from us forever, no smart remarks, speculations,or "insights" ae going to bring them back. Can't we wait until the young women who lived tells what really happened? How's that for some common sense?

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: July 03, 2007 09:18PM

You're right, of course, Maxi... there has been zero insight here about how these girls were at giving bj's.

Of course, if the answer is "like they drive", then it's a non-starter.

Date: July 03, 2007 09:22PM

Attachments:
maxi.jpg

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: July 04, 2007 04:39AM

Maxi Wrote:
> To those of you who have used this site for there
> own benefit, you sicken me.

yes, why try to turn something bad into something good when we can just ignore it!

> How does it help the
> families of these young women to denegrate
> everything that they did that night?

how does the manufacturing of new cars help the family? it doesnt but their isnt a direct corollary between the two.

> They are gone
> from us forever, no smart remarks, speculations,or
> "insights" ae going to bring them back.

speaking of futility, your post is futile.

> Can't we wait until the young women who lived tells
> what really happened? How's that for some common sense?

yes, yes, ignore evidence and probability as to what exactly happened and just take her word for it. so i guess you believe robert isnt meade as you just have to take robert's word that it's not him despite the damning evidence.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: Sam ()
Date: July 04, 2007 11:53AM

I knew everyone of those girls and you always hear of horror stories from gradution nite or grad week, but when you walk across the stage early that day with two of them and hung with all of them the nite before garduation. May they all rest in peace and please speak easy about my friends. Nettie, the driver isnt in the picture, renee is on the left lyd in the middle, sarah on the rite, rip. And it brings me so much happiness to see jena, the only survivour. Shes doing much better if anyone wondered. And please everyone dont drink and drive and for the grad party comments kids were not hyped up to go and no one really wanted to in my graduating class, including naynay and lyd. Please just send your love to there families
Attachments:
l_8bb6843b69c27e5f0a3539733750a57f.jpg

Date: July 04, 2007 01:16PM

Dear Sam,

Yes it is very sad to see the lives of three beautiful and promising young women snuffed out so soon and so suddenly. I think everyone in the area shares the sorrow of your entire community for the loss of these lives. I was very happy to hear that Jena was out of the hospital and I hope her parents can help her as she deals with this tragedy.

I admire you for reminding us all to not drink and drive. This is an important message to leave with everyone who reads about this. Yes that section of the beltway can be dangerous. Yes the speeds are often way too fast for safety and for a quick response. But this accident was avoidable. Now nothing can bring those souls back to their loved ones. My hope is that the friends and the families can ease their grief by helping to generate the much needed message of safe driving. Perhps a scholarship at West Potomac or george Mason could be established.

May time ease your pain and thank you for providing a photo of the girls.

Trickie

Posted by: K.L. ()
Date: July 06, 2007 04:30PM

Judgmental,

I think you should take back all of your accusations,
4 young lives that were all valuable were lost, not just 3!
No one is perfect, we all make mistakes.
Just learn from this sad tragedy.

Date: July 06, 2007 05:56PM

K.L. Wrote:
> Judgmental,
>
> I think you should take back all of your
> accusations,
> 4 young lives that were all valuable were lost,
> not just 3!
> No one is perfect, we all make mistakes.
> Just learn from this sad tragedy.

What's to learn? Don't swerve wildly because you missed, or took the wrong exit? I already knew that.

But it is indeed a tragedy.

Date: July 07, 2007 03:45AM

K.L. Wrote:
> No one is perfect, we all make mistakes.

speak for yourself, jerkface.  ^_^

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Date: July 08, 2007 09:44PM

wow gravis, you didnt say anthing about the picture of the 3 girls above.

Date: July 09, 2007 01:58PM

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=25&sid=1183829

July 9, 2007 - 12:13pm - Neal Augenstein, WTOP Radio

Truck's Speed Did Not Cause Fatal Accident

WASHINGTON - The crash that killed four young women on a Capital Beltway ramp last month was caused by an improper lane change by the driver of the Volkswagen Cabriolet, according to a Virginia State Police accident report.

Before it pulled into the path of a tractor trailer, police say the convertible was traveling 10 mph on the Inner Loop's left split exit ramp for Interstate 95 South.

Police say the truck was traveling 60 mph in the 50 mph zone. Investigators concluded the truck's speed was not the cause of the accident.

The crash killed the driver Elaine "Nettie" Minnette, 20, of Troy, N.H.; Lydia Petkoff, 18, of Mount Vernon, Va.; Sarah Renee Carter, 19, of Mount Vernon, Va.; and Renee Nicole Shelkin, 18, of Mount Vernon, Va. Another 17-year-old girl was seriously injured.

The June 14 accident occurred shortly before 11 p.m. and just hours after Petkoff and Shelkin graduated from West Potomac High School.

It's still not clear whether the women were drinking before they were killed. The toxicology have not yet been released.

Police still don't know how the young women got the variety of alcohol they had in the car. Sources tell WTOP no receipts were found.

(Copyright 2007 by WTOP. All Rights Reserved.)

Date: July 09, 2007 02:10PM

Interesting facts in the WTOP piece... the car was going 10mph and the words "variety of alcohol in the car." That departs from the original story that said there was a single bottle of vodka in the trunk.

Date: July 09, 2007 04:32PM

10MPH? nice, my guess is that she did one of those classic "oh shit, i dont want this exit" moves where they stop, go into reverse and then proceed forward to go the other way. sounds like that car could have used a bit more horsepower in order to get up to speed.

KeepOnTruckin Wrote:
> wow gravis, you didnt say anthing about the
> picture of the 3 girls above.

they were hot, it's a shame they are dead but these things happen though it's always horrible when it does happen. it could be worse, we could all be in baghdad where lots and lots of civilians are senselessly killed by terrorists all the time and sometimes accidentally by us.

Date: July 09, 2007 04:37PM

Gravis Wrote:
> it could be worse, we could
> all be in baghdad where lots and lots of civilians
> are senselessly killed by terrorists all the time
> and sometimes accidentally by us.

In those terms, it _is_ worse. The US suffers around 45,000 traffic deaths a year. That beats the number of Iraqi civilian deaths by almost 50% on an annual basis since the invasion (100,000 in first three years in Iraq vs 130,000-135,000 traffic fatalities in three years in the US).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2007 04:38PM by pgens.

Date: July 09, 2007 05:34PM

pgens Wrote:
> In those terms, it _is_ worse. The US suffers
> around 45,000 traffic deaths a year. That beats
> the number of Iraqi civilian deaths by almost 50%
> on an annual basis since the invasion (100,000 in
> first three years in Iraq vs 130,000-135,000
> traffic fatalities in three years in the US).

how about per capita? i think that's a more accurate measure.

Posted by: Judy ()
Date: July 11, 2007 06:12PM

Regarding your comment about the media being racist against the blak woman who drove her car through the crowd at the DC street festival last month, because everyone said "drugs, alcohol, crazy" and then the story went away. I think that it wasn't racist that they said what they said, it had more to do with the fact that they pulled a lit crack pipe out of her mouth when they finally got her stopped . . .

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: July 11, 2007 09:54PM

Crack doesn't stay lit that long. I call bullshit on that.

Date: July 11, 2007 10:10PM

That plus the media didn't report that, if it wasn't bullshit.

Date: July 12, 2007 11:38AM

in regard to the story about the black woman who drove into a crowd: seriously, im not concerned if it was a racist story or not, she fucking drove into a crowd!

Posted by: Hmm ()
Date: July 14, 2007 02:00PM

bdimag Wrote:
> I doubt they even had alcohol available to ANYONE
> at that school sponsored HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATION
> party..
>
> but ok..

There sure was at mine. Granted, it was out in the woods, not at ESPNZone, and they bused us there (wouldn't let us drive -- I think the kids were bused to this one too?), but there was alcohol and lots of it. Ours wasn't technically school-SPONSORED, but really, the way they set it up, it may as well have been -- it was sanctioned if not sponsored.

Just saying.

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: July 14, 2007 11:46PM

So where are those toxicology reports?

Posted by: Christyy ()
Date: July 17, 2007 09:59AM

Hey everyone

I didn’t know all the girls in the crash but I did know Nettie Thackston. Nettie was a counselor at my camp and she was probably one of the most funny, joyful, and friendly leaders that I knew. She taught us how to wood burn and shoot rifles along with how to be kind, caring, and responsible young adults. Her lively spirit will be greatly missed at camp but even though she may have left this world I know she will never leave our hearts.

Posted by: Maggie ()
Date: July 23, 2007 12:32PM

Have the tox reports been made public?

Posted by: bdimag ()
Date: July 26, 2007 12:53PM

Hmm Wrote:

>
> There sure was at mine. Granted, it was out in
> the woods, not at ESPNZone, and they bused us
> there (wouldn't let us drive -- I think the kids
> were bused to this one too?), but there was
> alcohol and lots of it. Ours wasn't technically
> school-SPONSORED, but really, the way they set it
> up, it may as well have been -- it was sanctioned
> if not sponsored.
>
> Just saying.

my point was that... if a school is paying to rent out ESPNZone for a highschool grad party - being a business - they can get into way more shit then its worth serving the minors alcohol - so it probably was not available there..

now.. the alley behind the place.. well.. the alley wasnt school sponsored :)

Posted by: okay naysayers and defenders ()
Date: August 06, 2007 07:45AM

Gallon of vodka, beers in car, but NOT IN THE TRUNK.

http://www.wtopnews.com/index.php?nid=25&sid=1208972

New Information About Tragic Beltway Crash
August 3, 2007 - 3:24pm
Neal Augenstein, WTOP Radio

SPRINGFIELD, Va. - There is new information about the horrific crash on the Beltway that claimed the lives of four young women in June.

When Virginia State Police examined the wreckage of the Volkswagen Cabriolet the women were traveling in, they found a gallon bottle of vodka that had been opened and broken remnants of a six-pack of bottled beer.

The alcohol had been in the passenger compartment, not the trunk.

Toxicology reports still haven't been completed to see whether anyone had been drinking at the time of the crash.

The accident occurred around 11 p.m. on June 14 when police say the Volkswagen cut through the safety zone where exit ramp lanes for Interstate 95 South split off the Inner Loop and entered the path of the oncoming tractor-trailer.

Richard Thackston is the father of the young woman who was driving, Elaine Thackston. He believes the toxicology will show his daughter had not been drinking. She had been convicted earlier in Fairfax County of driving after underage drinking. The words his daughter had told him -- "I don't make the same mistake twice. I've learned from my mistake and I won't do that again."

Thackston says his daughter was going to be the designated driver that night.

The other women were identified as 18-year-old Lydia Petkoff; 19-year-old Sarah Renee Carter; and 18-year-old Renee Nicole Shelkin.

(Copyright 2007 by WTOP Radio. All Rights Reserved.)

Posted by: nice dad ()
Date: August 06, 2007 07:50AM

I liked this quote: "Thackston says his daughter was going to be the designated driver that night. "

So the father knew there would be drinking going on... interesting that he'd blame VDOT for not thinking ahead to put up better signage in his view, but he didn't think ahead to report to the police about underage drinking he KNEW would be occurring that evening. When parents know about underage drinking, and know someone is going to be drunk in a car (driving or not) and do nothing to stop it, it's no wonder this happened. Parents, please stop trying to be buddies by letting your underage kids drink and drive.

Date: August 06, 2007 08:59AM

Where do they sell vodka in gallon bottles?

Date: August 06, 2007 11:59AM

nice dad Wrote:
> I liked this quote: "Thackston says his daughter
> was going to be the designated driver that night.
> "
>
> So the father knew there would be drinking going
> on... interesting that he'd blame VDOT for not
> thinking ahead to put up better signage in his
> view, but he didn't think ahead to report to the
> police about underage drinking he KNEW would be
> occurring that evening. When parents know about
> underage drinking, and know someone is going to be
> drunk in a car (driving or not) and do nothing to
> stop it, it's no wonder this happened. Parents,
> please stop trying to be buddies by letting your
> underage kids drink and drive.

I think he just thought he taught his daughter better... Parents.. please remind kids if they travel with alcohol - put it in the damn trunk and dont open it..

duh Wrote:
> Where do they sell vodka in gallon bottles?

i wonder if they just bought 2 halfs and put it in a plastic gallon water jug...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2007 12:01PM by bdimag.

Posted by: Maggie ()
Date: August 06, 2007 01:08PM

Dick Thackston, Knucklehead of the week. Knucklehead of the 21st Century! It is my beleif that he's trying to save his hide. He has homes and a real estate firm to protect. Who owned the vehicle? Have the other four families and the truck driver retained good lawyers? This accident was so sad and could have been prevented. Following the DUI and/or the May arrest, Elaine Thackston should have been required to move back home where her parents could monitor her progress regarding alcohol use and responsibility. Regardless of her age, they held the purse strings. He should have handled the problem in a timely manner. None of those kids would have died in that accident, the injured girl and the truck driver would not have this awful tragedy to live with. God Bless them. The parents had a responsibility to get this situation under control. Instead, he now feels the need to defend his daughters actions. Come on, Keene community, speak out. This is not a Virginia problem, it affects all of society.

Posted by: Fairfax MF---er ()
Date: August 06, 2007 01:26PM

Did the guy really have the balls to criticize VDOT for not having good signage?

As for his daughter not being drunk, I don't know if she was or not. However, driving around with an open container of Vodka in the car probably wouldn't have been too smart given she had already been busted once.

Posted by: pyramids17 ()
Date: August 06, 2007 10:26PM

Maggie Wrote:
> Dick Thackston, Knucklehead of the week.
> Knucklehead of the 21st Century! It is my beleif
> that he's trying to save his hide. He has homes
> and a real estate firm to protect. Who owned the
> vehicle? Have the other four families and the
> truck driver retained good lawyers? This accident
> was so sad and could have been prevented.
> Following the DUI and/or the May arrest, Elaine
> Thackston should have been required to move back
> home where her parents could monitor her progress
> regarding alcohol use and responsibility.
> Regardless of her age, they held the purse
> strings. He should have handled the problem in a
> timely manner. None of those kids would have died
> in that accident, the injured girl and the truck
> driver would not have this awful tragedy to live
> with. God Bless them. The parents had a
> responsibility to get this situation under
> control. Instead, he now feels the need to defend
> his daughters actions. Come on, Keene community,
> speak out. This is not a Virginia problem, it
> affects all of society.

Hahahahahahaha ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh SNAP! So true. He needs to shut his face. Stop defending your daughter's stupidity. Plus, he has no clue whether his daughter was drinking or not, so just let the toxicology reports speak for themselves. Shit.

holy shit
Posted by: Haha ()
Date: August 07, 2007 08:00PM

I've laughed out loud like 10 times while reading this thread. Ya'll cats are hilarious.

Posted by: Jake529 ()
Date: August 09, 2007 01:41PM

I'm not a toxicologist by any means but anyone else think 2 months to figure out a BAC a little excessive. I mean they can draw blood to determine a person bac on a alcohol related arrest. What other test need to be done?

Date: August 09, 2007 01:43PM

probably a good amount of "channels" they need to go through before release the BAC of a dead person...

but still.. 2 months does seem a bit long..

Date: August 09, 2007 03:05PM

Maybe the blood had to be alive.

Date: August 09, 2007 04:08PM

Per Trickie's comment, I do believe that the blood alcohol content of a person's blood goes up somewhat after they die, regardless of whether or not they have been drinking. Still, you would think they would have a definitive answer sooner.

Date: August 09, 2007 10:44PM

You get 21 grams lighter when your soul leaves, so that just fucks EVERYTHING up for the doctors.

Posted by: twink ()
Date: August 10, 2007 12:44AM

JUST LET IT GO! This happened two months ago and four beautiful lives were lost, and you guys find some kind of entertainment in picking the whole situation apart even two months later. You guys are sick. You don't know any of these people. Do you have such a pathetic existance that you spend all your time tearing apart people you don't even know? It's really sad knowing that these girls are dead and people like you are still alive.

Date: August 10, 2007 12:46AM

Well this discussion is going well, isn't it?? I still am very curious to see the tox report. I hope Twink did not buy it for them.

Trickie

Posted by: Jake529 ()
Date: August 10, 2007 09:10AM

hey twink...do you have such a pathetic existance you feel the need to sugar coat an obvious drunk driving moronic manuever of pulling onto a freeway at 10 MPH? Too bad you weren't in the car with them...you are obviously a waste of space

Date: August 10, 2007 04:12PM

Wow, you have some issues. Now you're telling another teenage girl that she should go die. You're pretty much a sick human being. Stuff like this happens every day... why do you have to dwell on this exact situation. You don't even know if the driver had been drinking yet! I really hope that the blood work comes back and shows the driver was SOBER so you can eat your cruel words. If you care so much about drunk driving how about you post on a topic that has actually been PROVED as drunk driving, better yet JOIN AN ANTI DRUNK DRIVING BOARD! Don't act all high and mighty and like you've never made a damn mistake... the only difference is you got lucky and have never had to die because of a mistake you made.

Posted by: oracle ()
Date: August 10, 2007 05:52PM

twink Wrote:
> I really hope
> that the blood work comes back and shows the
> driver was SOBER so you can eat your cruel words.

yeah cause then shes only an inattentive former drunk driver who shouldn't have been on the road drunk or not i guess.

no one is discounting the tragedy, just making the point that drunk driving (or being underage with alcohol in the car, already established fact) are dumb and can result in death. duh.

Date: August 11, 2007 02:03PM

twink Wrote:
> Wow, you have some issues. Now you're telling
> another teenage girl that she should go die.
> You're pretty much a sick human being.

file.php?2,file=909

Posted by: hmmm ()
Date: August 11, 2007 02:30PM

Gravis see if you can post the video still of her in chains wearing the gold outfit sitting by Jabba the Hut

Date: August 11, 2007 02:32PM

hmmm Wrote:
> Gravis see if you can post the video still of her
> in chains wearing the gold outfit sitting by Jabba
> the Hut

file.php?2,file=909

Posted by: stupid20 ()
Date: August 13, 2007 05:16PM

to all of who have blogged....I wish all of you to be a parent. When that happens, you will look back on this and be grateful. That is my wish and prayer.

Posted by: NOVA guy ()
Date: August 14, 2007 12:12PM

http://www.nbc4.com/news/13887300/detail.html?dl=mainclick
Toxicology Results Revealed In Quadruple Fatal Beltway Crash
Driver Found To Have Been Driving Under Influence

FAIRFAX, Va. -- Virginia State Police announced Tuesday the toxicology results in relation to an ongoing criminal investigation of a quadruple fatal beltway crash in Fairfax County that occurred in June.

The crash occurred on the inner loop of Interstate 495 west at the ramp to Interstate 95 south on June 14.
Police said that a group of young women were traveling along the highway when the driver in the 2002 Volkswagen made an improper lane change into the path of a tractor-trailer. The driver and three passengers in the Volkswagen died at the scene. One passenger survived the crash.

State troopers said they found alcohol and a small amount of marijuana in the vehicle.

The toxicology report performed on the driver, Elaine Minnette Thackston, 20, of Fairfax, determined that her blood alcohol content exceeded the legal limit of 0.02 to operate a motor vehicle, as set forth in the Code of Virginia for individuals under the age of 21. The report also indicated a positive result for marijuana.

Drug test results or blood alcohol content was not provided for any of the passengers in the vehicle.

Police said they are now attempting to determine where and how the alcohol was obtained by the underage individuals.

Date: August 14, 2007 12:26PM

im curious what her actual limit was...

Posted by: proud dad ()
Date: August 14, 2007 01:23PM

well let's here it from the father and the naysayers now... she was DRUNK AND STONED. "the alcohol was in the trunk and not in the girls"... so much for that. Sorry the girl didn't learn her lesson as she promised her dad she had, and sorry the girl's friends decided to let a drunk stoned girl drive them.

Date: August 14, 2007 01:38PM

Sed Wrote:
> I'm horrified by people's jump to judgment in this
> case. I was not only Elaine "Nettie" Thackston's
> friend, I was her boss, at a job she excelled in
> and impressed me with every day. We all know--her
> friends, family, and co-workers--that Nettie had
> struggled earlier in life. But the girl who dot a
> DUI in 2006 and the girl who died on the beltway
> were two completely different people. Nettie had
> made huge strides in the past year, and had always
> been a caring, considerate, imaginative girl. My
> pride in her grew until the moment of her death,
> and continues to grow even beyond it.
>
> The fact of the matter is, you have no idea
> whether Nettie or the other girls were drinking.
> And making that assumption doesn't help
> anyone--blaming the dead doesn't change a thing,
> doesn't bring anyone back. These inappropriate
> conclusions only hurt the family and friends who
> knew and loved these girls. Maybe instead of
> judging the dead on an internet web page, you
> should be mourning the loss of 4 young girls who
> had so much they never had the chance to offer the
> world. Spend your time calling the families and
> attending Memorials instead. Only he without sin
> can cast the first stone.
>
> My sincerest sympathy goes out to all the families
> in Virginia, and to the Thackstons.

Still horrified with us? Sorry you didn't know her as well as you thought you did. We will now accept your apologies for your public criticisms of our "jumping" to the most likely conclusions and being skeptical that things were different in this case. I guess the "completely different people" comment had to do with the introduction of marijuana? Maybe you knew something about this?

In any case I guess this explains why the toxicology report took a while... I guess they ran blood tests against more than alcohol.

Again, sympathies to the families, but now hopefully we can focus on the root cause of this crash and apply lessons learned to how we are raising our kids, as opposed to blaming road signs. I hope the truck driver can get some peace from this as well... it's hard to guard against other drivers' mistakes when they are drunk and stoned, especially in an area like the mixing bowl where driver attention is required.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2007 01:39PM by pgens.

Posted by: VL ()
Date: August 14, 2007 02:22PM

Practically every driver on the road believes that THEIR driving is perfectly safe. Unfortunately, these stupid people fail to consider that their kids will learn more about driving by watching their parents' BAD habits and ignoring all the TALKTALKTALK parents do about safe driving.

Then parents forget that traffic gets more dangerous every year. "Oh, I was fine, I got through it okay"--somehow forgetting that it isn't 1976 anymore, when most people drove slower and drove smaller cars.

Add to that parental vanity ("not MY child"), denial ("not MY child"), and plain old lack of common sense ("not MY child"), and teenagers die.

Date: August 14, 2007 10:10PM

pgens Wrote:

> Still horrified with us? Sorry you didn't know
> her as well as you thought you did. We will now
> accept your apologies for your public criticisms
> of our "jumping" to the most likely conclusions
> and being skeptical that things were different in
> this case. I guess the "completely different
> people" comment had to do with the introduction of
> marijuana? Maybe you knew something about this?
>
> In any case I guess this explains why the
> toxicology report took a while... I guess they ran
> blood tests against more than alcohol.
>
> Again, sympathies to the families, but now
> hopefully we can focus on the root cause of this
> crash and apply lessons learned to how we are
> raising our kids, as opposed to blaming road
> signs. I hope the truck driver can get some peace
> from this as well... it's hard to guard against
> other drivers' mistakes when they are drunk and
> stoned, especially in an area like the mixing bowl
> where driver attention is required.

WELL SAID PGENS! I guess Dick Thackston was right! Along with all these other people saying the girls did nothing wrong. You know, the signage on the beltway is soooooo confusing! Especially when you're traveling at 10 mph. Oh, and you're stoned. Oh, and also, you're drunk. This is so sad because it was so dumb. Completely preventable. While I feel so bad about it, it's incredibly difficult to have much sympathy. Sorry, that's just the way I feel.

Posted by: Tia2 ()
Date: August 15, 2007 09:04AM

I saw on the news today that the grandfather of one of the girls is going to sue the insurance company of the driver - Wrongful Death".

If the girl voluntarily got into the car - guaranteed that she knew the physical status of the driver - will they have a case?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2007 09:05AM by Tia2.

Date: August 15, 2007 11:57AM

Do you remember the crash that was on Lee Chappel where driver (Ali something) and 2 back passengers died, and the up front passenger lived...

well she sued the driver and won.. she will also sit down and piss even if the toilet is clogged with turds..

Date: August 15, 2007 01:25PM

Here is something that we can all agree on....
So today I go to myspace and see a bulliten a girl I don't like too much (for good reason) posted who was blaming the driver on her two friends dying because the driver made a "stupid and immature" [except she spelled immature unmature, what the hell is that, you've been out of high school for over a year and you're still illiterate?] mistake... YES THE DRIVER DID BUT THE OTHER GIRLS MOST LIKELY WERE DRINKING WITH HER AND SMOKING WITH HER BEFORE OR WHEN THEY WERE IN THE CAR!!! THEY MADE THE DECISION TO GET IN THE CAR WITH HER, THEY KNEW WHAT THEY WERE GETTING INTO... but just like the rest of us (teenagers) we think we're invincible... I'm not going to lie, there are many times I have/do too.... but I'm going to be pissed if they blame all the girls' deaths on just one... because it's all their faults... the driver drove while intoxicated... the passengers knew she was intoxicated and high and still got in the car with her knowing the risks.

Date: August 15, 2007 03:14PM

when they test the blood for pot.. isnt that something that will show up even if the last time they smoked was.. say.. a week ago?

not to say she hadn't done it that night.. cause she prolly did..

Posted by: Him ()
Date: August 15, 2007 03:20PM

twink Wrote:
> Wow, you have some issues. Now you're telling
> another teenage girl that she should go die.
> You're pretty much a sick human being. Stuff like
> this happens every day... why do you have to dwell
> on this exact situation. You don't even know if
> the driver had been drinking yet! I really hope
> that the blood work comes back and shows the
> driver was SOBER so you can eat your cruel words.
> If you care so much about drunk driving how about
> you post on a topic that has actually been PROVED
> as drunk driving, better yet JOIN AN ANTI DRUNK
> DRIVING BOARD! Don't act all high and mighty and
> like you've never made a damn mistake... the only
> difference is you got lucky and have never had to
> die because of a mistake you made.

Unfourtunately the toxicology report shows that the driver was legally drunk and had marijuana in her system.

RE: Beltway crash kills 4 teens
Posted by: Crow Toe818 ()
Date: August 15, 2007 10:49PM

And yea I knew Nettie since she was in kindergarten. My heart goes out to ALL the families experiencing the loss of their daughters. I pray I never have to experience that loss before my own death, that is a parent's nightmare. I have 2 daughters myself and all parents want to think the best of their child. Nonetheless, I have often expressed to them the importance of wearing a seatbealt (especially after an accident I experienced that saved my life) and not drinking and driving. I'm not that naive to think that college-age kids aren't going to drink but at least I think instilled the thinking they shouldn't get behind a wheel and drive. They have either called for a ride, called a cab, or were in walking distance of their destination, though I suspect there have been times... Then again, they are not angels, I am not naive, and we all make choices. As parents, we hope our children make choices that are not detrimental and fatal. In this case the choices were fatal, Nettie made a choice as well as the other passengers.

The evidence speaks for itself.

Date: August 16, 2007 12:55AM

I'd love to know her BAC. Just to say it exceeded the legal limit of .02 for a minor means nothing...HOW MUCH OVER? What if it was say .03...that's like 2 beers. Big deal.

As far as lawsuits...they'll be lucky to get the funeral expenses from from the insurance company. After all these were kids, not breadwinners, etc. People think these wrongful death cases automatically result in bazillion dollar judgements....they VERY rarely do.

Posted by: bfd ()
Date: August 16, 2007 07:36AM

duh Wrote:
> I'd love to know her BAC. Just to say it exceeded
> the legal limit of .02 for a minor means
> nothing...HOW MUCH OVER? What if it was say
> .03...that's like 2 beers. Big deal.

were talking about someone who supposedly turned her life around after pleading out a dui. drinking any amount and driving your friends around at night with alcohol and pot in the car while everyone is underage is a big deal look it got them killed. plus 2 beers is a chick impaires more than in a guy, there are even different charts for girls and guys for how many beers get you to that point. .02 may have been a single drink

Posted by: mike ()
Date: August 17, 2007 09:45AM

Posted by: daaaaaamn ()
Date: August 17, 2007 10:06AM

That and the bowl she had just smoked made her an exceptional driver I bet!

Posted by: sad ()
Date: August 17, 2007 11:31AM

mike Wrote:
> The Washington Post is reporting that her BAC was
> 0.14.
>
>
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/artic
> le/2007/08/16/AR2007081602606.html?hpid=moreheadli
> nes

for a female that means she probably had 3-4 drinks in the hour before she died. so much for learning her lesson, how sad

Posted by: Tia2 ()
Date: August 17, 2007 01:08PM

It's sad and hopefully this will teach others a lesson.

It's not just the drivers' responsibility to make sure everyone gets home safely. If your friend is driving and they are drunk - DON"T GET IN THE CAR and GRAB THEIR KEYS so they can't go anywhere!

EVEN IF YOU ARE DRUNK YOURSELF - CALL A CAB, FRIEND, AUNT, UNCLE or anyone that you can count on to pick you up - no questions asked! It's worth it to save your life and the lives of others...

Posted by: cat ()
Date: August 18, 2007 11:24AM

She was a little rich girl who's real estate daddy probably spoiled her so she thought she was on top of the world and could do whatever she wanted.

pyramids17 Wrote:
> pgens Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > Still horrified with us? Sorry you didn't know
> > her as well as you thought you did. We will
> now
> > accept your apologies for your public
> criticisms
> > of our "jumping" to the most likely conclusions
> > and being skeptical that things were different
> in
> > this case. I guess the "completely different
> > people" comment had to do with the introduction
> of
> > marijuana? Maybe you knew something about
> this?
> >
> > In any case I guess this explains why the
> > toxicology report took a while... I guess they
> ran
> > blood tests against more than alcohol.
> >
> > Again, sympathies to the families, but now
> > hopefully we can focus on the root cause of
> this
> > crash and apply lessons learned to how we are
> > raising our kids, as opposed to blaming road
> > signs. I hope the truck driver can get some
> peace
> > from this as well... it's hard to guard against
> > other drivers' mistakes when they are drunk and
> > stoned, especially in an area like the mixing
> bowl
> > where driver attention is required.
>
>
> WELL SAID PGENS! I guess Dick Thackston was right!
> Along with all these other people saying the girls
> did nothing wrong. You know, the signage on the
> beltway is soooooo confusing! Especially when
> you're traveling at 10 mph. Oh, and you're stoned.
> Oh, and also, you're drunk. This is so sad because
> it was so dumb. Completely preventable. While I
> feel so bad about it, it's incredibly difficult to
> have much sympathy. Sorry, that's just the way I
> feel.

Date: August 18, 2007 07:00PM

I was in the car follow the volkswagon that night and i knew all the girls except the driver for years...they were my best friends and i cant believe that you people have nothing better to do then sit on the computer and judge those who lost there lives....dont u have any sympathy for the family and friends of the young women who lost there lives that night...you did not know them and you werent with them that night and you have noo idea the pain and heart ache that all there relatives are going threw...we didnt just lose one person we lost four...i wish i knew the driver had alcohol in her system so that just maybe i could of stopped her from driving that night..and just maybe lydia, renee, sarah, and nettie might still be here todayyy...i love them alll and i know that this whole thing was an eye opener and that everyone including adults will learn that you should never drink and drive..

Posted by: cat ()
Date: August 18, 2007 07:42PM

I can't believe YOU have nothing better to do than to go out partying and drinking and getting stoned and driving around like idiots. Does anybody feel bad for the poor trucker who ran into them?

Posted by: WashingToneLocian ()
Date: August 18, 2007 07:45PM

"this whole thing was an eye opener and that everyone including adults will learn that you should never drink and drive"

With all due respect, it shouldn't take kids dying in a car wreck for their parents and friends to realize that drinking and driving is bad.

If you knew these girls and had been with them that night, you should have had some idea that they had been drinking and probably shouldn't have been driving. If you didn't - or chose not to - you are part of the problem here.

Date: August 18, 2007 07:57PM

i saw the whole thing Wrote:
> I was in the car follow the volkswagon that night
> and i knew all the girls except the driver for
> years...they were my best friends and i cant
> believe that you people have nothing better to do
> then sit on the computer and judge those who lost
> there lives....dont u have any sympathy for the
> family and friends of the young women who lost
> there lives that night...you did not know them and
> you werent with them that night and you have noo
> idea the pain and heart ache that all there
> relatives are going threw...we didnt just lose one
> person we lost four...i wish i knew the driver had
> alcohol in her system so that just maybe i could
> of stopped her from driving that night..and just
> maybe lydia, renee, sarah, and nettie might still
> be here todayyy...i love them alll and i know that
> this whole thing was an eye opener and that
> everyone including adults will learn that you
> should never drink and drive..

I'm TOTALLY judging people who lost their lives!

"Judge": verb. To compare facts or ideas, and perceive their relations and attributes, and thus distinguish truth from falsehood

Here is my judgment:
1. Girl was drunk. TRUTH
2. Girl was stoned. TRUTH
3. Girl was crossing the striped white barrier illegally. TRUTH
4. Girl was traveling 40 mph under the speed limit. TRUTH
5. Girls were underage. TRUTH
6. Girls possessed alcohol illegally. TRUTH
7. Girl had no idea there were consequences for this type of behavior. FALSEHOOD.

Suuuure, we have sympathy for the family and friends, but I personally don't have too much sympathy for those who drink and drive!

You think THIS is an eye opener? Are you kidding? My eyes have been open to the dangers of drunk driving for years. Your friends are not the first and won't be the last. Maybe it's opened YOUR eyes, but this is just the latest in an endless list of tragedies. Too bad your friends couldn't open their eyes as you have. What do you expect people to say when it was the drivers fault and completely avoidable? I dunno, but I'll end by saying I'm truly sorry for your loss.

Posted by: cw ()
Date: August 18, 2007 08:48PM

You have to take a look at the drunk part. She was .02 Under the law that is drunk for someone under 21. As for over 21 it doesnt come close. Strange law in that at age 20 and .02 you are drunk, the next day you turn 21 and it takes four times that amount to be considered drunk.
The stoned part can be curious too. Marijuana can stay in the system for some time.
All things considered she made some serious mistakes. I am not excusing her behavior or the fact four people are dead. That area of the beltway is very dangerous. VDOT and others may say it is safe but from one who drives it on a regular basis the left side exit ramp is tough to get to especially if you come on at VanDorn and there is any traffic at all in the other lanes.

Date: August 18, 2007 09:26PM

I think the paper said her BAC was over .02. Sure it is a part of the beltway where there are lots of signs. That's all the more reson to drive sober, keep your eyes on the road not a cell phone, avoid drugs and learn to read the signs.

trickie

Date: August 18, 2007 10:00PM

cw Wrote:
> She was
> .02

No dude, she was .14

Date: August 18, 2007 11:53PM

cw-

Based on this Washington Post article, it sounds like authorities merely stated that Thackston was above .02...not that she was .02. It sounds like they didn't elaborate, but one could safely assume that .02 was not the level of her blood. You need to learn how to read for comprehension.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/14/AR2007081400652.html

It also sounds like the families of the other girls killed are being a lot less charitable about this situation than you are. I would imagine Thackston's parents may end up facing some lawsuits when all is said and done.

Date: August 18, 2007 11:56PM

Oh, and as for "i saw the whole thing," the cops are looking for the people who purchased the alcohol for the girls. If you really want to be helpful, you should probably let the cops know any information you have on this matter instead of whining on this board about how mean we are.

Date: August 19, 2007 12:29AM

WashingToneLocian Wrote:
I would imagine
> Thackston's parents may end up facing some
> lawsuits when all is said and done.

Since Thankston was over 18, I'm having a difficult time imagining how her parents could be liable for anything, excepting of course, if they provided the alcohol (but there's been no claim of that).

Date: August 19, 2007 12:32AM

WashingToneLocian Wrote:
> cw-
It sounds like
> they didn't elaborate, but one could safely assume
> that .02 was not the level of her blood. You need
> to learn how to read for comprehension.

This says it all:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/16/AR2007081602606_pf.html Driver in Fatal Beltway Crash Had .14 Alcohol Level

By Jerry Markon
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, August 17, 2007; B01

A George Mason University student had a blood alcohol level of .14 when she drove her convertible into the path of a tractor-trailer on a Capital Beltway ramp, killing herself and three friends, and she had been convicted of drinking and driving a year earlier, according to sources and court documents....Thackston's blood alcohol level -- well above even Virginia's legal limit of .08 for those 21 and older -- would probably have left her with slurred speech, blurred vision and poor motor skills, experts said.

.14? OMFG! Suddenly this crash doesn't seem like the mystery it once was.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2007 12:34AM by trogdor!.

Date: August 19, 2007 02:31AM

.14 is just a modest buzz for an experienced lush such as myself....but I can see where it mighta make a girly girl zig when she shoulda zagged.

Date: August 19, 2007 08:41AM

Teens get drunk, drive, die. No mystery here.

Date: August 19, 2007 01:29PM

Dick Thackston Wrote:
> The driver of the car was my daughter.
>
> I think it is sad that the focus of most reporting
> has been on what I have been told was un-opened
> alcohol in the car.
>
> No one seems to be interested in discussing the
> fatally bad intersection called “the mixing bowl”
> where automobile traffic mixed with tractor
> trailers regularly moves at 75+ MPH through a
> dozen or more lanes including left hand exits and
> bridges.
>
> My daughter was an experienced young driver, who
> had commuted over thirty miles each way to and
> from school in high school daily as well as
> regularly between Northern Virginia and New
> Hampshire since entering GMU in 2005. She had over
> 80,000 miles on her car and it was well maintained
> and just been inspected and overhauled at
> Volkswagen.
>
> I understand that this is tragic for hundreds of
> people and I don’t mind if it is used as a parable
> to scare other teenagers from drinking and driving
> but it should be based in fact.

Driver in Fatal Beltway Crash Had .14 Alcohol Level

By Jerry Markon
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, August 17, 2007; Page B01

A George Mason University student had a blood alcohol level of .14 when she drove her convertible into the path of a tractor-trailer on a Capital Beltway ramp, killing herself and three friends, and she had been convicted of drinking and driving a year earlier, according to sources and court documents.

VL Wrote:
> Add to that parental vanity ("not MY child"),
> denial ("not MY child"), and plain old lack of
> common sense ("not MY child"), and teenagers die.

pyramids17 Wrote:
> 1. Girl was drunk. TRUTH
> 2. Girl was stoned. TRUTH
> 3. Girl was crossing the striped white barrier
> illegally. TRUTH
> 4. Girl was traveling 40 mph under the speed
> limit. TRUTH
> 5. Girls were underage. TRUTH
> 6. Girls possessed alcohol illegally. TRUTH
> 7. Girl had no idea there were consequences for
> this type of behavior. FALSEHOOD.
>
> You think THIS is an eye opener? Are you kidding?

file.php?2,file=926

Date: August 19, 2007 03:24PM

The article I read when the BAC first came out said .02 My mistake for mis-reading it. I still wonder why at age 20 you are drunk at .02 and within a few months or even days .02 gets you a free pass.

If it is weighted because they believe teens are new drivers then maybe it should apply to the foreigners over 21 who up until last week never even saw a car much less drove one.

.14 is quite a bit, even in the old days when the limit was .10 I havent changed my mind and still believe anyone over 18 should be allowed to consume beer and wine. Joining the military is a big step and if you are old enough to make that decision then you are old enough to down a beer.

Date: August 19, 2007 03:51PM

cw Wrote:
> The article I read when the BAC first came out
> said .02 My mistake for mis-reading it. I still
> wonder why at age 20 you are drunk at .02 and
> within a few months or even days .02 gets you a
> free pass.
>
Maybe it is because YOU AREN'T SUPPOSED TO CONSUMING ANY ALCOHOL when you are under 21? Ever think of that?

The .02 is probably out there so parents don't get busted for serving a minor when they let them try a glass of wine at Thanksgiving or a glass of Champagne at New Years.

Date: August 19, 2007 04:02PM

Dick Thackston Wrote:
> The driver of the car was my daughter.
>
> I think it is sad that the focus of most reporting
> has been on what I have been told was un-opened
> alcohol in the car. (Certainly it was not my
> impression that anyone investigating this matter
> was pulling any punches with me.)
>
> No one seems to be interested in discussing the
> fatally bad intersection called “the mixing bowl”
> where automobile traffic mixed with tractor
> trailers regularly moves at 75+ MPH through a
> dozen or more lanes including left hand exits and
> bridges.

>
> I understand that this is tragic for hundreds of
> people and I don’t mind if it is used as a parable
> to scare other teenagers from drinking and driving
> but it should be based in fact. I think there is a
> real parable of the dangers of this intersection
> and driving on the beltway that is being totally
> ignored, I think because it would be an
> inconvienient reality for life on the beltway.
>

Is this for real? Any intersection is unsafe when you ignore the laws and 1) drive under the influence and 2) fail to head the minimum speed laws and slow down while trying to cut over across a part of the road that is not meant to be driven over.

We can all agree that the Mixing Bowl, Beltway, etc. are dangerous...as is ANY road with a high volume of traffic. That is why you shouldn't be driving on these roads with .14 blood alcohol level.

I have sympathy for the family, but let's get real. There is only one person to blame for this accident, and it certainly isn't VDOT or the truck driver or the news media or the police or the people on this site.

Posted by: i call ()
Date: August 19, 2007 06:03PM

cw Wrote:
> Joining the military is a
> big step and if you are old enough to make that
> decision then you are old enough to down a beer.

fine, allow it for people who have actually joined the military but not everyone else.

Date: August 19, 2007 07:05PM

cw Wrote:

>
Joining the military is a
> big step and if you are old enough to make that
> decision then you are old enough to down a beer.

It is interesting that you are using a forum about underage drinkers getting killed in a car accident to debate the merits of lowering the legal drinking age. I take it by your poor judgement on the subject that you are under 21...which aptly reinforces the need not to lower the legal drinking age.

Date: August 19, 2007 07:38PM

in canada (ontario at least) the drinking age is 19. how many drunk driving crashed do they have?

Posted by: Jester ()
Date: August 19, 2007 08:20PM

For a teenage girl .14 is VERY drunk. Add that to being stoned, an inexperienced driver, the mixing bowl and you see the result. Also the tests did show how stoned she was. She may have been stoned out of her mind.

We see stuff like this every year, yet cops routinely bust parents who hold graduation partyings in their own home and take the kids keys away.

Perhaps we should come to the realization that kids will tend to drink at graduation time regardless and go a little easier on parents that keep them off the road.

Date: August 19, 2007 09:03PM

I am not under 21. In fact I am old enough that I used to buy alcohol legally as the age limit was 18. Somehow I think that people old enough to join the military, vote and sign binding contracts shouldnt be denied a simple beer.

Since parents can legally serve alcohol to their own children in their own home do you consider them irresponsible and using poor judgement?

Posted by: Genevieve ()
Date: August 19, 2007 09:14PM

KeepOnTruckin Wrote:
> in canada (ontario at least) the drinking age is
> 19. how many drunk driving crashed do they have?

I don't have any statistics to share with you. But I was actually discussing this accident with an aunt and uncle in Canada two weeks ago. They claim that there is a much worse stigma associated with drunk driving in Canada. While that is a matter of opinion, they did mention some interesting programs. Like from Christmas through New Years, you can call for a ride home... one volunteer will drive you home and another will drive your car home. Of course I'd never trust a stranger in DC/Northern Virginia, but still interesting.

In Ottawa there are a lot more households with either no cars or only one car. So there may be fewer instances of drunk driving simply because so many more people already use public transportation.

A quick google search brought up an interesting fact... if you are convicted of a DUI in Ontario, once your license is reinstated you must equip your car with an ignition interlock system (for 1 year for first time offenders, 3 years for second time offenders).

Date: August 19, 2007 09:24PM

Maybe the part of Canada they are in have more local bars like in Europe. You dont have to drive because there is mass transit and also the bars are so close to the homes. In Northern Virginia you must drive if you want to go to a bar. Most just arent situated within walking distance of residential areas.

No one said that a parent has to introduce their kids to drinking. I am sure I am in the minority in lowering the drinking age for beer to 18 and I dont believe the law will be changed in the near future either. That does not prohibit me from believing the government steps over the line in legislating many moral issues.

Pages: Previous123AllNext
Current Page: 2 of 3

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.