HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: 123AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 3
Beltway crash kills 4 teens
Posted by: TRICKIE ()
Date: June 15, 2007 03:48PM

I always get so scared and upset when I read stuff like this. From my reading, it sounds like the girls had attended or graduated from West Potomac HS yesterday. Then afterwards, it may have been they were partying and trying to get the graduates back to the school where busses were waiting to take them to the all night grade party at ESPN Zone. Running late and usure of where to exit at the Springfield/Beltway area, they almost missed the exit but swerved over in front of the truck. The truck was not at fault but four of the ten girls were killed and one was injured. The names have been released. One of the girls, Elaine Thackston, lived at GMU and had a DUI arrest in June of 2006. I wonder if alcohol was involved in last night's crash.

I feel so bad for the families and the West Potomac community. What a horrendous accident on what should have been a very happy occasion.

Trickie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Beltway crash kills 4 teens
Posted by: say what ()
Date: June 15, 2007 05:39PM

They already said alcohol was found in the car. That is part of the new intersection ramp on the mixing bowl. It is poorly marked and most people think you have to be in the right lane to exit like 99% of all highways. The warning signs are placed too close to the actual ramp and you are exiting off the fast lane to boot. It leaves very little time to read the sign and merge over.

Posted by: . ()
Date: June 15, 2007 05:45PM

TRICKIE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One of the girls, Elaine
> Thackston, lived at GMU and had a DUI arrest in
> June of 2006. I wonder if alcohol was involved in
> last night's crash.
>
>

They found booze in the car, so you tell me? After the autopsy I'm willing to wager that it will be learned that she had alcohol in her system.

It's bad enough that she didn't care about her own life, especially after having already been arrested for a prior DWI, it's just a shame that those girls had to die along with her. Guess it wasn't "cool" to participate in the school-sponsored graduation party, huh?

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: June 15, 2007 06:31PM

She was found guilty of "driving after illegal consumption of alcohol" (underage) at the end of June 2006. She had a 6 month suspension of her license. I hope she wasn't drunk for her family's sake. What a tragedy.... The news today said that in the metro area there have been (7) teen automotive deaths in the last week. That's scary.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: June 15, 2007 06:54PM

its graduation week. what the hell does everyone expect?

Posted by: Robert ()
Date: June 15, 2007 07:02PM

That beltway sacres me to death. I was on it a few months ago and almost got hit from behind.

Date: June 15, 2007 08:53PM

KeepOnTruckin Wrote:
> its graduation week. what the hell does everyone
> expect?

What do I expect?

*I expect that the 20 year old girl driving the vehicle would have learned a lesson from her previous arrest. She was arrested for DWI and it was knocked down to "driving after illegally consuming" in court, meaning she had enough alcohol in her system to be considered intoxicated for an adult 21+ at the time of her arrest (at age 19). This was most likely a plea agreement reduction.

*I expect students to take part in their school's all-night graduation party like most of the student body does. This event must have been scrupulously planned, organized and publicized for at least a couple months. These events are organized to prevent tragedies such as these by providing a safe, fun, and most importantly, alcohol and drug-free night of celebration.

*I expect more involvement on the part of her parents, especially after the giant red flag was raised just 12 months ago with her alcohol-related arrest. If the parents of all of these young adults were involved in volunteering for said all-night graduation party perhaps the graduates would have been present at the party and had a safe ride.

*I expect graduating seniors and rising college students, all of whom seemingly appeared intelligent, to exercise better judgment. I understand that all girls apparently knew each other, but really, what was the 20 year old doing driving around the younger girls? Even if they were heading towards the all-night party I doubt the 20 year old would have been allowed to enter. Those events are well-regulated. This was trouble from the start.

*I expect people who are supposedly employed by the school system, KeepOnTruckin, to not ask such goofy questions to sum up the tragedy such as "it's graduation, what do you expect?"

Date: June 15, 2007 09:51PM

owch, took a stab at my job there. no worries, i do work for FCPS. you should too, they have great benefits. And if i didnt work for FCPS, why the hell would i be going to the admin center? http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/37456/37569.html

anyway, a lot of parents arent that good at being parents. some parents honestly dont care or dont get involved with their kids' activities. other parents buy their kids alcohol/cigarettes.

other parents dont want to get involed with the school so they dont help at the grad party.

on your first point, she could have been anywhere from .02-.08 due to VA's no tolerance laws.

The 20-y-o could have been dropping them off. but yes they do check ppl's names on the list and only seniors can get tickets. I know some schools also call home if you leave before the thing is over.

"expect students to go to the grad party..." Well guess what, not all students go. not all students are law-abiding. some students will feel like geting totally wasted instead of going. or get wasted and then go liek these people. For some reason the graduation finishes at 5:00 or earlier and the school sponsored party doesnt start until 11:00.

I heard that in FFX cnty, on average on the weekend, 1 in 10 drivers is drunk driving. 40% of those are teens. So yes, i expect that after graduation or similar large event requireing celebration, that some .high school students will be getting drunk and or driving drunk.

Posted by: Dirty Jersey ()
Date: June 15, 2007 11:19PM

I want sum fuckin, franch toast

Date: June 15, 2007 11:37PM

thats the kind of state that some kids are in. hell thats probly a HS kid right there.

Date: June 16, 2007 02:29AM

I can't stop thinking about what a horror show this must have been. I remember back in the day, when I was taking driver's ed, I was shown all these Ohio State Patrol films of auto death and destruction ("Signal 30" was one of them, it's up on You Tube http://youtube.com/watch?v=dXgpzSDP2hQ). It was very out of date at the time, but it still had a profound impact on me. I've been in 2 serious roll-overs, both were the fault of other drivers and I've walked away from both with minor injuries. I know how quickly a short drive can turn into a nightmare. I wish every kid in High School had that sense, that shit can go wrong instantaneously and can be really seriously horrible for *you*...and not only the "other guy". I wonder if they still show those films to kids anymore.

Maybe you parents out there should sit your kids in front of You Tube...

Posted by: Grace ()
Date: June 17, 2007 11:00AM

Suspect bad signage on the Beltway/Mixing Bowl ramp may have been a factor; signage always lags opening new lanes and traffic patterns. It's tricky even if you know the area well.

Also suspect driver may not have been paying full time and attention, due to distractions of 4 high-spirited passengers (with or without alcohol; trust me, girls are louder and more animated than boys).

Mostly poor judgment by driver, though, and maybe incomplete driver training. It's not fatal to drive on and return via next available exit.

But, there but for the grace of God or Allah, really, with an accident like this not happening to many of us.

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: June 17, 2007 11:12AM

KeepOnTruckin Wrote:

>
> I heard that in FFX cnty, on average on the
> weekend, 1 in 10 drivers is drunk driving. 40% of
> those are teens.

The statistics from recent roadblocks do not support this number. Unless the kids are smart enough to check FFXU and the Fairfax county press releases to know where the checkpoints are.

Posted by: I'm from the bronx shit happens ()
Date: June 17, 2007 01:31PM

A very prominent Puerto Rican platinum rapper by the name of Fat Joe once said, "We from The Bronx, New York Shit happens". R.I.P. I'm sure she wasn't meant for this world may the girls rest in peace in the other.

Date: June 17, 2007 03:38PM

Ahh true, i got those stats from some driver education class materials.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: June 17, 2007 06:06PM

i have to know... were they hot?

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: Dick Thackston ()
Date: June 17, 2007 07:21PM

The driver of the car was my daughter.

I think it is sad that the focus of most reporting has been on what I have been told was un-opened alcohol in the car. (Certainly it was not my impression that anyone investigating this matter was pulling any punches with me.)

No one seems to be interested in discussing the fatally bad intersection called “the mixing bowl” where automobile traffic mixed with tractor trailers regularly moves at 75+ MPH through a dozen or more lanes including left hand exits and bridges.

My daughter was an experienced young driver, who had commuted over thirty miles each way to and from school in high school daily as well as regularly between Northern Virginia and New Hampshire since entering GMU in 2005. She had over 80,000 miles on her car and it was well maintained and just been inspected and overhauled at Volkswagen.

I understand that this is tragic for hundreds of people and I don’t mind if it is used as a parable to scare other teenagers from drinking and driving but it should be based in fact. I think there is a real parable of the dangers of this intersection and driving on the beltway that is being totally ignored, I think because it would be an inconvienient reality for life on the beltway.

It is to easy in our busy lives to not appreciate those around us and forget that this moment or day may be our last with them.

There are no words that can describe this loss for the families invovled.

Carpe Diem

Posted by: ben ()
Date: June 17, 2007 07:25PM

. Wrote:
>
>
> What do I expect?
>
> *I expect that the 20 year old girl driving the
> vehicle would have learned a lesson from her
> previous arrest. She was arrested for DWI and it
> was knocked down to "driving after illegally
> consuming" in court, meaning she had enough
> alcohol in her system to be considered intoxicated
> for an adult 21+ at the time of her arrest (at age
> 19). This was most likely a plea agreement
> reduction.
>
> *I expect students to take part in their
> school's all-night graduation party like most of
> the student body does. This event must have been
> scrupulously planned, organized and publicized for
> at least a couple months. These events are
> organized to prevent tragedies such as these by
> providing a safe, fun, and most importantly,
> alcohol and drug-free night of celebration.
>
> *I expect more involvement on the part of her
> parents, especially after the giant red flag was
> raised just 12 months ago with her alcohol-related
> arrest. If the parents of all of these young
> adults were involved in volunteering for said
> all-night graduation party perhaps the graduates
> would have been present at the party and had a
> safe ride.
>
> *I expect graduating seniors and rising college
> students, all of whom seemingly appeared
> intelligent, to exercise better judgment. I
> understand that all girls apparently knew each
> other, but really, what was the 20 year old doing
> driving around the younger girls? Even if they
> were heading towards the all-night party I doubt
> the 20 year old would have been allowed to enter.
> Those events are well-regulated. This was trouble
> from the start.
>
>
> *I expect people who are supposedly employed by
> the school system, KeepOnTruckin, to not ask such
> goofy questions to sum up the tragedy such as
> "it's graduation, what do you expect?"

Just to your second point;

How much does it cost to participate in an all night grad party now? You have to have paid your schools dues, and then buy a ticket. I'm guessing the total between those items is over $120. At 17 I couldn't afford it, and I didn't expect my parents to pay that extortion to my high school for a party I would have been miserable at. I found better things to do on the eve of my graduation. So did all of my friends.

Date: June 17, 2007 08:31PM

so... it turns out to be a normal accident with one car overpacked with a bunch of morons not using seatbelts. does anyone have a link to an article about this?

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Date: June 17, 2007 10:17PM

I agree the beltway is probably not as well designed as it should be, with space being a premium in the area. I wonder what speed the truck was doing when he hit them? I imagine that will also be an issue. I know from personal experience that on I-95, semis have no qualms about tailgating you at 70 in the slow lane.

Posted by: Grace ()
Date: June 17, 2007 10:40PM

Mr. Thackston: my sympathies and prayers to you and your family, and those of your daughter's friends.

Have 4 young nephews; this accident could have happened to most young people. To say nothing of most of us who were young and driving around in the 1970s and 1980s.

I hope you will find peace in the coming months and years.

Date: June 17, 2007 10:49PM

According to the papers, the semi was not tailgating. The girls were not even in the same lane. They quickly veered out of their lane to rewach an exit and drove right in front of the truck.

Posted by: '07 WPHS Graduate ()
Date: June 17, 2007 11:18PM

I think that it is absurd what some of you are writing. Why don't you check your facts before posting.

I agree that students should attend the all night grad parties. However, in order to do so you had to have walked at graduation which one of the friends didn't. Being loyal friends they were sticking by her side. Unfortunately, a tragic event occurred. (and about the cost, you had to have no obligations, paid $100 for senior dues and an extra $65 I know many people who didn't go for that reason alone.)

About drivers ed and experience. I didn't know the driver, I am not making any assumptions as to whether she was a good driver or not but have you ever been on the beltway? Everyone knows how confusing it is and how that particular ramp is not marked clearly.

The nerve some of you have, calling the girls morons when no information has been release about seat belts.

You have no respect for their families and friends.

My deepest regards to all of the friends and families, you are in my prayers.

Date: June 17, 2007 11:26PM

Just curious. Why didn't one of them 'walk" at graduation? What was the problem?

Posted by: '07 WPHS Graduate ()
Date: June 17, 2007 11:28PM

She has to take a course this summer.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: June 18, 2007 12:16AM

This is all fine and good, but I'm kind of curious how Paris Hilton would feel.

Date: June 18, 2007 08:56AM

'07 WPHS Graduate Wrote:
> I think that it is absurd what some of you are
> writing. Why don't you check your facts before
> posting.
>
> I agree that students should attend the all night
> grad parties. However, in order to do so you had
> to have walked at graduation which one of the
> friends didn't. Being loyal friends they were
> sticking by her side. Unfortunately, a tragic
> event occurred. (and about the cost, you had to
> have no obligations, paid $100 for senior dues and
> an extra $65 I know many people who didn't go for
> that reason alone.)
>
> About drivers ed and experience. I didn't know
> the driver, I am not making any assumptions as to
> whether she was a good driver or not but have you
> ever been on the beltway? Everyone knows how
> confusing it is and how that particular ramp is
> not marked clearly.
>
> The nerve some of you have, calling the girls
> morons when no information has been release about
> seat belts.
>
> You have no respect for their families and
> friends.
>
> My deepest regards to all of the friends and
> families, you are in my prayers.

I agree that some of the things being written are absurd. However, its interesting that many seem to be blaming roadway design here more than anything else.

No one has really addressed why there was alcohol in the vehicle when no one, not even the 20 year old driver with a previous DUI charge, was old enough to even have the stuff. I don't care if it was open or not. At some point they most likely would have attempted to drive after drinking. The driver had a previous history of this, we know that much.

It's still my belief it will be learned that at least the driver had some alcohol in her system. If true, that will be the biggest cause for concern here.

If alcohol was in her system, and depending on how much, that will likely be the single largest contributing factor in this tragedy. And that would be quite scary since the driver would have had an extraordinary opportunity to redeem herself and learn a huge lesson from her previous arrest, and didn't seize that opportunity. Instead, she would have taken three other souls with her. But make no mistake, there was poor judgment all the way around here - from the girls to their parents.

I understand that it's easy for me to sit here and Monday Morning Quarterback, but I've seen this type of stuff before. This kind of poor judgment is not unique only to this accident. Sadly, it will happen again I'm afraid.

Even if alcohol was not in her system we still have a young and relatively inexperienced girl driving on a major highway, at night, and with possibly too many passengers for her own abilities. I don't care how many miles or hours a 20 year old has under their belt, most still don't possess enough experience to be driving under said circumstances.

And on another note, when, oh when, will people learn that they do not have to cut across all lanes to make an exit? Or slam your brakes on, get to the shoulder and back up to the exit you just passed? You can just about ALWAYS take the next exit and loop back around to get to where you need to be. There is usually no need to panic when something like that happens. Again, inexperience.

I'm upset that this event happened when it could have been prevented but my prayers still go out to the families.

Date: June 18, 2007 08:58AM

You must not be THAT experienced... plenty of exits in this area provide no opportunity for "looping back around".

Posted by: Holden McCrank ()
Date: June 18, 2007 09:06AM

"That is part of the new intersection ramp on the mixing bowl. It is poorly marked... "

WTF? What do you people need, neon signs pointing you in the right direction? Hel-LO!!! Don't they teach signage in Drivers' Ed anymore? The big green signs that say there's an exit coming up in n miles have a little sign on top of them giving the exit number. If the little sign is aligned with the left edge of the sign, then the exit will be to the left; if it's aligned to the right, the exit'll be on the right. That's a well-marked intersection, with a long visible approach where you can SEE the off-ramp (unless you're tailgating the guy in front of you).

But there's a better way to avoid accidents like these, instead of blaming the signage...If you miss your turn, TAKE THE FUCKING PENALTY!!! Don't go racing across lanes of traffic, making illegal turns, doing stupid shit, speeding up. You wait til your next opportunity, turn around legally (in this case, take the next exit and come back around), and try again. Don't make me pay for your incompetence. You miss a turn, you take the hit.

Date: June 18, 2007 09:08AM

RESton Peace, I've driven more highway miles than you ever will. There is ALWAYS a way back, you just have to be slow down, be patient, collect your thoughts and find the way. Panicking will never help. I guess then you are saying that what the girls did by cutting across was the correct method? Tell me, what should they have done? It's my belief they shouldn't have even been on that road, in those conditions, especially if they were unfamiliar with the highway. All the signage in the world would not have helped if you have 4 young girls in high spirits, most likely chatting away, not paying attention. Driver inexperience, and quite possibly alcohol, were the problem here.

Date: June 18, 2007 09:27AM

Yes, being arrogant and making assertions regarding things you don't have any ability to know tells me you must really be someone to emulate. You are just so fucking sage.

I never said what they did was the right thing, I am saying you are an asshole for coming on here and acting like your experience is unique and the things you are saying are not obvious, especially given that your point about turning around at the next exit was stupid advice.

"I've driven more highway miles than you ever will". Good god someone is proud of their career in trucking, an industry known for attracting the wisest individuals of the population at large.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2007 09:30AM by RESton Peace.

Date: June 18, 2007 09:38AM

RESton Peace Wrote:
> Yes, being arrogant and making assertions
> regarding things you don't have any ability to
> know tells me you must really be someone to
> emulate. You are just so fucking sage.
>
> I never said what they did was the right thing, I
> am saying you are an asshole for coming on here
> and acting like your experience is unique and the
> things you are saying are not obvious, especially
> given that your point about turning around at the
> next exit was stupid advice.
>
> "I've driven more highway miles than you ever
> will". Good god someone is proud of their career
> in trucking, an industry known for attracting the
> wisest individuals of the population at large.

Wow, this coming from the loudest loudmouth on the site. Is there anything you don't offer your opinion on? You chime in on every thread. I'm entitled to my opinion as much as you are, hero. My "assertions" are based upon facts learned through wisdom and experience. How do you know I don't know? Trucking? Not even close. Your ignorance is stunning.

Posted by: Terrie ()
Date: June 18, 2007 10:03AM

As a parent of a recent grad and a 20 year old, I can't imagine the pain and sorrow that the families are feeling. I would like to comment on the drug-alcohol free graduation party. Here in the Monadnock Region of New Hampshire parents and students spend the senior year raising money for Project Grad. Project Grad starts with random breathalizers tests for students, guests and even chaperones at 8pm. The events ends with breakfast and prizes for all students attending. The incentive for the students to attend is the gifts that they receive. However, out of 44 students that just graduated with my daughter only 12 students attended Project Grad. It's true that class dues need to be paid, however, here dues must be paid to attend the Prom, so most students have already paid their dues. Something needs to be done to increase attendance of these drug and alchol free parties, to make them more fun and have even better gifts for those attending. Some of the postings on this forum seem to just want to point the finger, especially at Elaine, the driver. I just hope that the people looking for the "bad" in others are so very "pure" that they are above reproach. Does anyone know anyone above reproach? Not I! To Andrea and Richard, I am so sorry for your loss. Don't let the cruel people in this world make this time harder for you. Your daugther was so very beautiful and I'm sure that you are so very proud of her for so many things that she has done in her short life.

Posted by: Karl F ()
Date: June 18, 2007 10:06AM

My son graduated from W. Potomac and attended the graduation party.

I am very sorry for your loss as well as the families of the West Potomac girls. I strongly favor the idea of an alcohol-free seniors' party and creating the type of conditions that would make it possible for all graduating seniors to attend.

This is the first I am hearing that senior dues and other costs made it problematic for some kids to attend the all night seniors' event. This is at a school where virtually all seniors drive to school. I'm questioning how much cost was a consideration in their attending or not.

I admire the guts it takes to put yourself on a site like this at such a time. I hope the passage of time helps take the edge off a pain that can never go away.

Posted by: Informer ()
Date: June 18, 2007 10:14AM

From this sites' arrest list

"THACKSTON ","ELAINE ","M","019"," 4450","RIVANNA #4998 ","LA","FAIRFAX ","VA","05/04/2006","DWI ALCOHOL "

Address is a building on Patriot Circle at GMU.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: June 18, 2007 10:24AM

. Wrote:
> All the signage
> in the world would not have helped

That's sexist.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2007 08:32AM by pgens.

Posted by: THACKED OUT ()
Date: June 18, 2007 10:26AM

"THACKSTON ","ELAINE ","M","019"," 4450","FFX JAIL","FAIRFAX ","VA","05/04/2006","DWI ALCOHOL " 2 TIME LOSER",

Date: June 18, 2007 10:31AM

pwn3d.

The father made comments like "she's a great driver, yada yada" but this girl was 19 at the time of her arrest. It is possible the parents didn't know about it.

edit to add: from WTOP article.. "Nettie had recently celebrated her 20th birthday on May 7, and had just completed her sophomore year at George Mason University as a French major."

So that's definitely her. So for her 19th birthday party she got DWI'd.

edit again to add:

Someone on WTOP posted this in the comments, so she was in fact convicted of this:

---------------
From VA's public court database:

Case Number: GT06098778-00 File Date: 05/08/06
Defendant: THACKSTON, ELAINE M. Sex: Female Race: White Caucasian (Non-Hispanic)
Address: FAIRFAX, VA 22030 DOB: 05/07/****
Charge: DRV AFTER ILLEGL CONSUME ALCOH Code Section: 18.2-266.1 Case Type: Misdemeanor
Amended Charge: Amended Code: Amended Case Type:
Offense Date: 05/04/06

Hearings
Number Date Hearing Result Continuance Code
01 06/28/06 Finalized

Final Disposition in District Court: Guilty Fines/Costs Date Paid: 06/28/06 Appeal Date (to Circuit Court):
Sentence Time: Sentence Suspension Time: Operator License Suspension Indicator: X
Fine: $100.00 Cost: $167.00
------------------------------

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2007 11:19AM by pgens.

Date: June 18, 2007 10:34AM

Terrie,

I don't think any of us are being cruel here. We simply stated the facts. Obviously you must know this family and Elaine, the driver. How can you simply ignore the fact that she made some very critical mistakes last Thursday night? Instead of the father trying to place the blame elsewhere (the Beltway and the signs) he should direct his grieving and work for a change in behavior. Speak to young people about alcohol, excessive speed, and the use of seatbelts. Get the message out that these lives could have been saved of the girls' were more responsible. Instead, his comments appear to be the kind of comments that place the blame elsewhere. Perhaps his family attorney has given him some advice in case of a future lawsuit.

And Terrie, instead of also blamimg the cost of the all night grad party, that is way down on the list of priorities here. Since one of the "graduates" could not be fully participating in the WPHS activities, it appears the girls found another activity to attend.

Also regarding the father, if he is in so much grief at this time, why is he writing to chatboards, blogs and the media when most people in his position are relatively private while planning for a beloved child's funeral. There is something not quite right here. This is a discussion chatboard and we discuss what happens in Fairfax County. This accident has affected a lot of people both directly and indirectly. Most of us posting are hoping that it will not happen again because we could be on the road if it does.

Trickie

Posted by: sal ()
Date: June 18, 2007 11:34AM

Wow, some of you are cruel. Yes a mistake was made but mistakes are made everyday, unfortunately this one was fatal. Who knows, one day something like this could happen to someone in your family. Its not a time to be a jerk, its a time to be sensible and come up with ways to prevent this from happening in the future.

Also it is not for anyone to question how the father grieves. We all grieve in our own way. We never know how we will act until we walk in those shoes.

Posted by: Tia2 ()
Date: June 18, 2007 11:53AM

TRICKIE Wrote:
> Terrie,
>
> I don't think any of us are being cruel here. We
> simply stated the facts. Obviously you must know
> this family and Elaine, the driver. How can you
> simply ignore the fact that she made some very
> critical mistakes last Thursday night? Instead of
> the father trying to place the blame elsewhere
> (the Beltway and the signs) he should direct his
> grieving and work for a change in behavior. Speak
> to young people about alcohol, excessive speed,
> and the use of seatbelts. Get the message out
> that these lives could have been saved of the
> girls' were more responsible. Instead, his
> comments appear to be the kind of comments that
> place the blame elsewhere. Perhaps his family
> attorney has given him some advice in case of a
> future lawsuit.
>
> And Terrie, instead of also blamimg the cost of
> the all night grad party, that is way down on the
> list of priorities here. Since one of the
> "graduates" could not be fully participating in
> the WPHS activities, it appears the girls found
> another activity to attend.
>
> Also regarding the father, if he is in so much
> grief at this time, why is he writing to
> chatboards, blogs and the media when most people
> in his position are relatively private while
> planning for a beloved child's funeral. There is
> something not quite right here. This is a
> discussion chatboard and we discuss what happens
> in Fairfax County. This accident has affected a
> lot of people both directly and indirectly. Most
> of us posting are hoping that it will not happen
> again because we could be on the road if it does.
>
>
> Trickie

Trickie,

Just a thought - Mr. Thackston may be posting here to honor his daughter.

The fact that he took the time to clarify "the drinking" issue while grieving for his loss is, in my opinion, his way of re-capturing some respect for his daughter while defending her integrity.

Date: June 18, 2007 12:10PM

how can the passengers be to blame? Unless one of them grabbed the wheel and yanked them into the other lane, or something.

Date: June 18, 2007 12:24PM

I also hope that with the reconstruction of this accident, investigators will look into how the girls acquired the alcohol since they were all underage. Hopefully, the surviving girl will be able to give them some information.

Trickie

Posted by: Gore Inc. ()
Date: June 18, 2007 02:13PM

Any pics of the accident available?

Posted by: KeepthePeace ()
Date: June 18, 2007 02:40PM

I was a good friend of Nettie's (Elaine)
and some of you are indeed being very cruel.
People make mistakes.
And sometimes they are fatal.
No one has the right to be arrogant and pretentious about it
and say anything about Nettie as a person.
It is tragic, yes
but at a time of such loss, how can some of you still find the time to create commentary on the subject and be so insensitive?
At a time when someone has been killed
how can you be preoccupied with your own curiosity or general speculation?
4 girls have died.
For now, the whys and hows do not matter as much.
We lost a great friend.
RIP Nettie, we miss you.

Date: June 18, 2007 07:07PM

I think we are all sorry her partying and driving while intoxicated caught up with her... unfortunately it affected many lives even after the legal system tried to intervene. RIP all of Nettie's friends and all affected as well.

Date: June 18, 2007 07:19PM

Terrie Wrote:
> As a parent of a recent grad and a 20 year old, I
> can't imagine the pain and sorrow that the
> families are feeling. I would like to comment on
> the drug-alcohol free graduation party. Here in
> the Monadnock Region of New Hampshire parents and
> students spend the senior year raising money for
> Project Grad. Project Grad starts with random
> breathalizers tests for students, guests and even
> chaperones at 8pm.

here's an idea, pay the kids not to drink. i think a cool $100 for not getting torched would be nice. it's sounds like there are too many fucking idiots in New Hampshire. this case isnt even about alcohol.

Date: June 18, 2007 08:26PM

being fed up with not having a link, i found the article. so here it is. http://www.nbc4.com/news/13507941/detail.html?rss=dc&psp=news

Gore Inc. Wrote:
> Any pics of the accident available?

sure, wtf, here they are. click for a larger and higher quality image. i merged them all into one big one. i left out some redundant image and just worthless ones you can see on the nbc site.

file.php?2,file=766

Posted by: Judy ()
Date: June 18, 2007 08:36PM

You have one fact incorrect ~ the beltway at that point is CLEARLY marked with at least three progressive signs ~ starting at least two miles ahead of the road split spaced approximately a half mile apart ~ it is by no means dangerous IF YOU ARE PAYING ATTENTION! (and I am not implying they weren't ~ I think they merely changed their minds at the last minute to go a different route. It's so sad!!

Date: June 18, 2007 08:44PM

My deepest sympathies to you and your family and the families of all these beautiul young women!! I did not know them personally, (however, my children, also West Potomac Students) did know them and they tell me they were all wonderful young ladies!! I cried when I heard of your tradgedy, I cried for you, I cried for the students and friends who knew them, I cried for the lone survivor . . . Please know that you are in the thoughts and prayers of all us parents who could just as easily be walking in your shoes. May God grant you some measure of comfort as you grieve.

Posted by: VC ()
Date: June 18, 2007 08:57PM

This was graduation--most parents are heavily involved with their children's graduation. So I doubt that parents didn't know how their daughters planned to spend their evening.

Wearing seatbelts is something you're supposed to learn by the modeling of your parents. If parents are fussy about wearing seatbelts, like "it wrinkles my dress" or "makes me feel tied down," then their children won't develop the reflex that reaches for the seatbelt EVERY TIME, IN EVERY CAR. The survivor may have been the only one wearing one. That's not "youthful mistakes," that's bad driver ed on somebody's part.

And if the daughters lied to any one or more of at least eight parents (NH parents couldn't have known), then what does that say about trust between parent and child?

There needs to be more driver ed and more driver scaring. The parents of girls who "knew each other since childhood" and didn't know about Elaine's DUI just seem to me to be not paying attention. At some point one of EIGHT people could have watched that Cabriolet drive away, and it seems none of them saw anything wrong with five girls driving late at night to a nightclub instead of going to an alcohol-free event.

I don't think these girls were too poverty-stricken to attend the party. West Potomac is a prestigious high school in a good demographic. One was a cheerleader, almost all were popular. That doesn't happen to girls too poor for a school event.

V

Posted by: duh ()
Date: June 18, 2007 10:11PM

I'm with Trickie...what grief stricken parent would seek out a site like this? How many threads would one have to read to see that some morons would say cruel things...like ONE, maybe?

But this is SO typical of modern society....nobody takes responsibily for anything. It was the highway's fault, my ass!

Okay now, anyone care to guess how many people will be killed trying to establish an illegal roadside memorial to these girls?

Date: June 18, 2007 11:49PM

From looking at the pictures, even with seatbelts you'd probably be screwed. It's really amazing that one of them got out alive.

Date: June 19, 2007 01:04AM

VC Wrote:
> instead
> of going to an alcohol-free event.

Heh, i seem to recall a few years back that a bunch of kids purposefully brought some beer into the aftergrad party at dave and busters i think as a late senior prank they said. Mount Vernon Hs maybe?

Date: June 19, 2007 01:47AM

i dont think they meant this but it seems apt. im sure ejection isnt fun.

file.php?2,file=770

Posted by: Sed ()
Date: June 19, 2007 08:32AM

I'm horrified by people's jump to judgment in this case. I was not only Elaine "Nettie" Thackston's friend, I was her boss, at a job she excelled in and impressed me with every day. We all know--her friends, family, and co-workers--that Nettie had struggled earlier in life. But the girl who dot a DUI in 2006 and the girl who died on the beltway were two completely different people. Nettie had made huge strides in the past year, and had always been a caring, considerate, imaginative girl. My pride in her grew until the moment of her death, and continues to grow even beyond it.

The fact of the matter is, you have no idea whether Nettie or the other girls were drinking. And making that assumption doesn't help anyone--blaming the dead doesn't change a thing, doesn't bring anyone back. These inappropriate conclusions only hurt the family and friends who knew and loved these girls. Maybe instead of judging the dead on an internet web page, you should be mourning the loss of 4 young girls who had so much they never had the chance to offer the world. Spend your time calling the families and attending Memorials instead. Only he without sin can cast the first stone.

My sincerest sympathy goes out to all the families in Virginia, and to the Thackstons.

Date: June 19, 2007 09:13AM

> The fact of the matter is, you have no idea whether
> Nettie or the other girls were drinking.

Even if you were to argue they weren't drinking before hitting their destination, there was alcohol in the car and they were all underaged. They obviously didn't have bright-white, angelic intentions for the evening given they were breaking the law all the way up until the time of the accident. One can be caring and imaginative and still be a lawbreaker. Maybe if they hadn't stopped to get alcohol from somewhere they would have had more daylight to drive with, or perhaps wouldn't have been distracted by rattling bottles in the car and trying to keep them out of sight. The public is sad at the same time that it is outraged that underaged people put themselves in these situations. Who got them the alcohol? Did YOU buy it for them? Because someone over 21 bought them the alcohol. Who is asking those questions? Why isn't the father finding THAT person and pointing at them as part of the problem?

> Only he without sin can cast the first stone.

I think one problem is the father came out blasting VDOT for having improper signage that killed all these girls, and didn't bring up his daughter's DWI-related conviction less than one year earlier and totally discounted that their car was filled with alcohol and they were ALL underage. I wish he hadn't cast the first stone myself as his (I'll be generous here in respect to family) "incomplete" argument didn't help things and in fact fanned the controversy. He's a grieving father and assigning blame is certainly understandable, but I don't want to see him suing my state for bad signs when 1) they aren't bad at all if you are a normal driver who looks at signs miles ahead of an event and 2) his daughter was convicted of a DWI-related offense _less than a year ago_.

I'm not debating whether she was a nice person or had a nice full life ahead of her... all the girls did. But just because they were nice and angelic doesn't mean they didn't make mistakes that led to the accident. We're just pointing that out before all the lawsuits start flying.

As an aside, the media is racist. When the black lady went through the crowd of people in DC last month everyone said "drugs, alcohol, crazy" and then the story went away. In this case we have a few white teenage young women, in a car filled with booze, and the media doesn't bring up ANYWHERE that the driver had a previous arrest and conviction. The only way I have seen that this has been publicized on any large public forum is the WTOP comments in the article, where people were posting things like "WTF, why are individuals pointing out this fact and ALL the news outlets suppressing it?"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2007 01:31PM by pgens.

Posted by: bdimag ()
Date: June 19, 2007 09:28AM

ben Wrote:
>
>
> Just to your second point;
>
> How much does it cost to participate in an all
> night grad party now? You have to have paid your
> schools dues, and then buy a ticket. I'm guessing
> the total between those items is over $120. At 17
> I couldn't afford it, and I didn't expect my
> parents to pay that extortion to my high school
> for a party I would have been miserable at. I
> found better things to do on the eve of my
> graduation. So did all of my friends.

Well, i dont remember the amount but it was like $10.. (although mine wasnt at ESPN zone - it was at some crap place with an ice skating rink)..

And yes, they do suck.. I did as much as I could the first hour.. then spent like 2 hours trying to find a way out.. then got out (back door in the ice-rink in case anyone has one there soon).. then got pot, smoked it all, drove back to pick up my other friends, and went home.. no alcohol needed :)

aparantly the friend that I left with won 2 tickets to kings dominion or something.. *shrug*

Sed Wrote:

> But the girl who dot a
> DUI in 2006 and the girl who died on the beltway
> were two completely different people. Nettie had
> made huge strides in the past year, and had always
> been a caring, considerate, imaginative girl. My
> pride in her grew until the moment of her death,
> and continues to grow even beyond it.

subsitute DUI with underage possession & open container, substitute died with not died, nettie with bdimag, girl with guy, her with his.. and you got me! but I still drink & drive (responsibly)...

so why not her? (and I'm not saying thats the case)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2007 09:30AM by bdimag.

Posted by: Tia2 ()
Date: June 19, 2007 11:29AM

You people who think you have the right to pass judgement should think twice.

I'm sure that we have all done something in our past that we will never do again, regret having done, or "learned the lesson" and choose never to bring it up or discuss it.

Give these kids a break and more importantly, give the people who knew them some room to grieve the way they choose. Whether it's posting on this forum or screaming at the top of their lungs...stop passing judgement on them and just "Let It Be"!

Posted by: DP ()
Date: June 19, 2007 12:08PM

As a parent of a West Potomac graduate on Thursday, I am horrified by what happened. i did not let my child attend the school sponsored party because it took place in a bar in D.C. Poor planning on the school and parents part in my opinion. Also on the way to the graduation ceremony at the Patriot center, we were tailgated from just west of Van dorn through the Springfield interchange by a truck. The passengers in the back of my Matrix said they could feel the rumbling engine behind us. I was in the far right lane, which then became umarked where 95 south passes over. I have lived here all my life, the "mixing bowl always was and always will be dangerous. the beltway was not designed to handle todays traffic, the signage has always been poor, still is... Too much distance between signs. When I took drivers ed, we got our beltway experience from telegraph to Van dorn exits, why our instructor said it was too dangerous to go any further.
As far as clubs go some will let you in if youre under 21 and stamp your hand. Supposedly so you cannot be served at the bar Another stupid rule, I guess.

My thoughts and prayers are with all the families, including the driver of the truck.

Date: June 19, 2007 12:15PM

I doubt they even had alcohol available to ANYONE at that school sponsored HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATION party..

but ok..

Date: June 19, 2007 12:21PM

Tia2 Wrote:
> You people
Attachments:
perot.jpg

Posted by: LauraW ()
Date: June 19, 2007 12:26PM

Mr. Thackston-
I almost hope that you never read what I am writing, just for the simple fact that you would also not be reading the massive amounts of insensitivity and ignorance that has been posted on this site. I was once a good friend of your daughter Annie, and still consider her such, eventhough we have lost touch. I know how wonderful Annie is and how much she loved her sister. And I am truely sorry for your loss and know that nothing anyone says will lessen the pain you and your family are feeling. But please know that the thoughts and prayers of people who know and care about your family are with you today and in the coming days and from here on out. God bless your family during this trying time.
~all my thoughts and prayers
Laura Wolpert

Posted by: Mr. J. ()
Date: June 19, 2007 05:49PM

A lot of mistakes were made that night; most of the mistakes were the results of poor decisions. The first poor decision was to allow someone to drive who shouldn't have been driving. The second mistake was to allow alcohol into the car; whether or not alcohol was being used. The next mistake was to be in a hurry. Then, driver made a poor a lane-change decision when she should have just accepted the fact that she was in the wrong lane and should proceed to the next appropriate exit.

That stretch of the beltway is well-marked. I drive the very same piece of the beltway every day. Of course, late at night, lack of driving experience, the influence of alcohol, poor decision-making and a sense of urgency probably contributed to a situation with outcomes that could only be unfortunate.

I hope other young folks are paying attention rather than trying to find fault where fault does not belong.

Posted by: acidbyt3 ()
Date: June 19, 2007 06:35PM

Fairfaxunderground mentioned on NBC 4 news, at 6:00

Posted by: Observer ()
Date: June 19, 2007 07:46PM

It is very suspicous that the first time the DWI conviction of the driver was just reported on channel 4. And they had to cite Fairfaxunderground when an intern could have turned up this information days ago. It has also not been reported that one of the girls had two ID's in her purse. One legal and the second a fake ID making her old enough to buy alcohol. This came from an authoritative source.

Posted by: Linda ()
Date: June 19, 2007 08:50PM

With or without alcohol, the Beltway is a mess to drive on. Driving back from the West Potomac graduation at the Patriot Center, I was worried about my just-graduated son who was trailing behind.

I've lived here my whole life and it has only gotten worse. Add some young, inexperienced drivers with some split-second decisions, and I am terrified for them.

My son was on his way to the all-night graduation party (yes, $65 plus $100 senior fees) but instead had to drive to the hospital and await word.

God bless them all. I still cry to think about them only a few weeks ago as they all assembled for the prom photos. They were beautiful young ladies inside and out.

Please be kind to each other, there is much to grieve here and answers are not always easy to come by.

Posted by: ya ()
Date: June 19, 2007 11:36PM

Maybe next time they wont be stupid and drink. Oh wait, there wont be a next time. Well for anyone who wants to live, please dont drink and drive.

Posted by: thank heaven for 0h7 ()
Date: June 19, 2007 11:46PM

I was friends with two of the girls in the accident. Both were very beautiful and smart girls, and loved by everyone who knew them. But people if you have nothing nice to say, don't say it all. The investigation is still undergoing, only the people who witnessed the accident and were in it actaully know what occured. Don't judge without even knowing the facts especially if your going to say something rude!

God Bless!

Please everyone lets try to use more caution when driving and be a little bit more safer!

Date: June 19, 2007 11:55PM

The one who got out alive, Jenna, was the ONLY ONE WEARING A SEATBELT!!

Date: June 20, 2007 08:35AM

Judy Wrote:
> The one who got out alive, Jenna, was the ONLY ONE
> WEARING A SEATBELT!!

Who says? It isn't impossible to be ejected from a car if you are belted. Just because the survivor was belted doesn't mean she was the only one belted.

Date: June 20, 2007 09:33AM

id say its pretty easy to be thrown out/fall out of the car when it flips upside down

Date: June 20, 2007 01:07PM

"id say its pretty easy to be thrown out/fall out of the car when it flips upside down"

Not to mention when the roof of the car collapses. Steve Titunic, Virginia Department of Transportation spokesman for the Springfield Interchange Project was quoted as saying:

"Three young women were ejected from the vehicle. Two remained in the vehicle. One was alive and taken from the vehicle"

So one other person remained in the vehicle and was also killed. Do we know for sure the survivor was wearing a seatbelt? I don't recall any of the news stories mentioning who was or was not wearing a seat belt.

Date: June 20, 2007 01:10PM

Oh and look, News 4 is now reporting the prior DUI:

"News4 has learned that the driver of the vehicle, Thackston, had been arrested once before for drinking and driving"

Yeah, well Fairfax Underground readers learned that 5 days ago. Also, the VA State Police spokesperson said:

"Just because we found alcohol in the vehicle certainly does not mean anybody had consumed alcohol."

...interesting.

Date: June 20, 2007 01:22PM

aahh true, they could have got it for going to some party afterwards. And it wasnt open either. is it legal to have unopend alcohol? in your car if you're under 21?
What was it i said about bringing beer to the school after grad party?

Date: June 20, 2007 06:11PM

KeepOnTruckin Wrote:
> is it legal to have unopend alcohol in your car
> if you're under 21?

yes, if you are in control of the car, you posses it's items. i mean, is it illegal to have a kilo of weed in the trunk if it isnt yours?

Date: June 20, 2007 06:29PM

well i suppose if you could prove that someone else put it in there and you didnt know about it.

Date: June 20, 2007 07:16PM

The first time I traveled that same stretch of I-495, it seemed odd that the South bound I-95 exit is on the left hand side. But, you have to pay attention to the 5 (five) highway overhead billboard signs to know which lanes travel south. After taking this route a few dozen times, I have found that those 5 (five) signs are 25 miles before the actual I-95 South exit. There is a 6th (sixth) sign indicating that I-95 South is a left hand exit 40 miles beforehand.

I frequently see commuters swerve in and out of the exit lanes at the last moment, since they obviously haven’t been paying attention to the large signs. Are you one of the commuters who only see the LAST overhead billboard sign which is only 5 miles before I-95 South and I-495 split?

Date: June 21, 2007 10:31AM

for a sec i thought you said 25 miles..

I like how it used to be, like 3 years ago... or even 3 months ago.. now its wacky as shit..

Posted by: yeah ()
Date: June 21, 2007 11:05AM

yeah why can't they just put it all back the way it was.

Date: June 21, 2007 12:30PM

Three of the girls were in the yesterday's Post obituaries...they're being buried tomorrow.

What a waste...beautiful girls gone because of a missed highway exit....they could have turned around at Braddock Rd...what would it have cost them? 10-15 minutes? Instead it cost them 60 or 70 YEARS...

It amazes me how people around here risk life and limb to save a few seconds or minutes....you see it every day. Some of 'em lose the gamble...

Date: June 21, 2007 01:03PM

duh Wrote:
> It amazes me how people around here risk life and
> limb to save a few seconds or minutes....you see
> it every day. Some of 'em lose the gamble...

I am sure you have never done that yourself... never run a yellow light to save the three minutes, never scooted in behind the last car to enter the intersection on a left-hand turn to save time even though technically you ran the red. Never passed a car that was going the speed limit on any highway. How perfect a teacher you are, please tell us more Sensei.
Attachments:
1_ORLY.gif

Date: June 21, 2007 01:44PM

i cant stand the fuckers that jump into the incoming merge lane on the highway in dead traffic just to get up about 5 cars...

I (very safely) pretend like im gonna do the same as theyre doing it so theyre like BRAKE WTF and then I laugh... gets me through rush hour...

Date: June 21, 2007 03:16PM

pgens Wrote:
> duh Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It amazes me how people around here risk life
> and
> > limb to save a few seconds or minutes....you
> see
> > it every day. Some of 'em lose the gamble...
>
> I am sure you have never done that yourself...
> never run a yellow light to save the three
> minutes, never scooted in behind the last car to
> enter the intersection on a left-hand turn to save
> time even though technically you ran the red.
> Never passed a car that was going the speed limit
> on any highway. How perfect a teacher you are,
> please tell us more Sensei.

No, I don't run lights.

And I love when you asshole speed racers, despite all kinds of reckless shit, get caught at the next light...just like me...or even better when the next light turns green just as I get there....and you've been sitting there for precious minutes!

It's my fervent hope that gas gets to 10 bucks a gallon,...or more....or whatever it takes to slow the assholes down....or onto Metro.

Date: June 21, 2007 04:27PM

rawr

Date: June 21, 2007 04:49PM

duh Wrote:
> It's my fervent hope that gas gets to 10 bucks a
> gallon,...or more....or whatever it takes to slow
> the assholes down....or onto Metro.

Great short-sighted solution. Tell us how Metro is going to operate its bus fleet at $10/gallon.

Posted by: leisa briggs ()
Date: June 22, 2007 01:08AM

I am her second cousin and i am now getting to know her through reading about her that is truly sad...I dont really know her Dad that well (Richard Thackston) never knew him by Dick. Only met him when i was a teenager a couple of times. I love my Aunt her Grand mom and miss her. i have lived in Va. now for four years. I live in C-Ville (Yup next to UVA famed for their drinking) what i dont get is how parents and kids today seem to think it is ok to drink and drive at all or even party like that?(not saying my cuz did or her dad did or not cause i dont know) I get drunk way to easy so i just dont drink a glass or two unless i am at home and not going anywhere. We really need to educate kids and parents today more about why the Supposed boring after school party's for graduation or prom's are not a better outlet than the drinking kind cause ohh i dunno they are HEALTHIER! all the way around. Make the best of them is what we should be telling them that the time spent together is what matters not where? A club whether it was a night of non drinking or drinking... i dunno i just think the school party should have been enough and a safer choice (my daughters was fun and inexpensive i dont know why theirs was ridiculously exp. maybe they should have had it at their high school) My daughter just graduated from a large High school 1,749 students is not small and it was a nice graduation at John Paul Jones new basketball arena. her Prom was at the double tree and the after prom party was at the high school with games,prizes and DJ it also was an all night after prom party. I do live in an affluent area also and we did not have to spend that kind of money for a after grad party or after prom party. Dont start on the affluent kids and parents either. because the Rich and not so rich kids and parents are just as irresponsible at times and they all seem to think today that it is ok to drink your way through college. The Beltway does Suck...i agree with that 100% and the northern Va. traffic. i am glad i do not have to deal with it but, people that do! need to pay attention. Especially if there are allot of signs or a lack of them traffic is traffic and there are other cars and trucks on the highway. Even if she was an experienced driver she was young and did make a mistake. It was one that allot of people do every day unfortunately her and her friends paid with their lives. seat belts do work ask my kids. they wore theirs in a friends car (not mine) a few years ago and was in an accident my son got the brunt of it he was in the back seat when the car struck there and he is alive today because of it (i was glad to know he wore it even in other peoples cars not just ours) you should wear one too. They arent full proof though but, they do make a BIG difference. i agree with some people who made the observation that WE DONT HAVE ALL THE FACTS ABOUT THE SEAT BELT ISSUE. Pertaining to their car accident. My prayers are with all the families as well and my cousin and my very sweet sweet aunt whom i think Nettie Looked Like. i only saw a picture of her when she was little and now that she had grown up she definetly reminds me of my Aunt her grandmom. Love you all if your reading this .Keep your kids safe people educate them alchohol is not the only way to have fun and try to keep them local when celebrating. why deal with a highway like that if you dont have to.

Date: June 22, 2007 01:41AM

leisa briggs Wrote:
> They arent full proof though but, they do
> make a BIG difference. i agree with some people
> who made the observation that WE DONT HAVE ALL THE
> FACTS ABOUT THE SEAT BELT ISSUE.

i can only think of three reasons a person can ejected from a car in a car wreck: 1) not wearing seatbelt 2) not wearing seltbelt properly (including it doesnt fit a small child) 3) the seat itself leaves the car... with them in it.

im willing to put $300 down on a bet that all of those that were ejected were not wearing seatbelts. anyone care to counter?

Posted by: Cabrio owner ()
Date: June 22, 2007 06:56AM

The way those girls were bounced around, according to this http://www.connectionnewspapers.com/article.asp?article=83489&paper=0&cat=109
I could believe (I own a VW Cabrio, the car the girls were in) they had seatbelts on and were still ejected from the car.
There are airbags in the sides of the 2 front seats (also in the steering wheel and in the passenger side of the dash). I believe it could be possible that the force of those airbags could have 1) broken a seatbelt, ejecting one or both of the passengers in the front seat, or 2) ejected a seat with the passenger still buckled in. The third possibility is that due to the seatbelts for the front passengers being attached to the roll bar, if the roll bar comes off the car from an impact either from the force of the airbag or being slammed against the concrete wall and being flipped over, there goes your seatbelt protection.

There was however, one girl that could not have possibly been buckled in and that would be whoever was the middle passenger in the backseat. The car only has 4 seatbelts.

What caught my attention in the above linked article was the comment 'Nettie had 90% hearing loss' am I reading and processing that statement correctly?
Because now it makes a whole lot more sense why she couldn't hear a semi coming right up next to her before veering in front of it.

Posted by: ELag ()
Date: June 22, 2007 03:48PM

I just want to put out there that all of you who want to sit around and bad mouth any of these girls, should shut your mouths and stop typing. You most likely didnt know any of them. I personally only had chance to know one of them and loved her dearly. Like a sister. And now she is not here to call and say hi, to wave, or to do anything for that matter. You are ridiculous.

Everybody makes mistakes in their lifetime. I have and I am sure you have. Nettie was a wonderful person and just because she got a DUI back in 2006 does not mean that she is/was the same person that day. As a matter of fact, the car was not filled with booze. There was one bottle. And there was no alcohol whatsoever in any of the girls systems. So what gives you the right to even mention that?

You need to step back and think of how you would feel if any of these girls were yours or your friends. Or even if you knew them. How would you feel? I know how I feel and I know how the families and friends of all of these girls feel.

To have you and all of the others, who have no prior knowledge of any of these girls, on here posting blogs, is ridiculous. I hope after reading this you can learn to be an adult and keep your rude remarks to yourself. You have no idea who you have hurt more than they were hurting.

Posted by: ELag ()
Date: June 22, 2007 03:49PM

The seat belt may have saved the girls, maybe not. Why put a wager on it? Why bet?

Date: June 22, 2007 04:01PM

Becuase we never met any of them, dont know them, and we are all assholes. That is why.

Date: June 22, 2007 05:19PM

ELag Wrote:
> As a matter of fact, the car was not filled
> with booze. There was one bottle.

Ah... so what they were doing was only a little illegal. Sounds okay... kind of like knifing someone shouldn't carry a murder charge but shooting them should.

> And there was no
> alcohol whatsoever in any of the girls systems. So
> what gives you the right to even mention that?

The toxicology report hasn't been publicized... you may end up being right but don't lecture us on "facts" if they haven't been released. And the "right" isn't yours to give or take away. If a road fatality occurs when the driver was KNOWN to have a DWI-related conviction less than one year prior AND alcohol was found in the car, it stands to reason that people will wonder if alcohol was involved. Wouldn't you?

> To have you and all of the others, who have no
> prior knowledge of any of these girls, on here
> posting blogs, is ridiculous. I hope after reading
> this you can learn to be an adult and keep your
> rude remarks to yourself.

Most of the posts have to do with expressing sadness that these lives were lost because of either 1) driver inattention or 2) alcohol. What could possibly be more adult than analyzing why someone was killed and hopefully come to conclusions that may avoid this fate for others? This is a public news story and as such warrants public comments.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2007 05:20PM by pgens.

Date: June 22, 2007 05:25PM

Yes Elag, when was the toxicology report finished? Just wondered. We are not being cruel.

Trickie

Date: June 22, 2007 07:55PM

This stuff has been going on as long as there have been cars.

The problem is teenagers think (and always have) they are invincible...it CAN'T happen to them. I work with teens and I'd bet 99% of them, if they reacted at all, it would be to laugh at what happened to these girls. Their deaths will have ZERO affect on them....safe driving just ain't cool! Hey, I was as bad as any of them...I once got my '59 Rambler up to 80 mph on Four Year Run (Annandale High).

Be at any high school student parking lot when the final bell rings....take cover though...you will see some wild shit!

Posted by: Megan ()
Date: June 23, 2007 05:00PM

You people make me sick. I don't understand how any of you can sit in the comfort of your own homes sedistically tearing apart the life of a dead person. Does it give you some twisted satisfaction? Can someone please explain it to me. So for future reference all of you who feel like adding your 2 cents in how stupid or careless young people might be please take into consideration who else might be reading this, in fact what if you were reading this about your own child, sister, or friend...it wouldn't be so easy to pass judgement, would it? Maybe some sense of compassion for the families and friends of these young lives lost would be a bit more sensible.

R.I.P Nettie we love you.

My deepest sympathies to the families of the other girls

Date: June 23, 2007 05:29PM

Speaking only for myself, yes, tearing apart the actions of dead people does give me twisted satisfaction. Just regular old satisfaction is so boring these days.

Posted by: angelus42774 ()
Date: June 25, 2007 03:08PM

I think it is just a sore subject truckin, i do not think he meant it personal. The comment you made could have be taken off on the wrong angle, or dismissive. I for one am tell my kids they are not driving until they are 21. What the hell were my parents thinking giving me a license @ 16?

Date: June 25, 2007 04:11PM

jsut so you know, VA law allows one to get a learners permit w/o parental permission at age 19.

Date: June 25, 2007 04:39PM

angelus42774 Wrote:
> I for one am tell my kids they are
> not driving until they are 21.

and they will be worse drivers because of it.

Pages: 123AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 3

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.