HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
me and my rc airplane...
Posted by: mikumsmukim ()
Date: June 11, 2007 05:51PM

...need a place to fly.

if you've got a a big field without power lines let us know. we pay in dollars, adult beverages or flying time as you see fit.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: me and my rc airplane...
Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: June 11, 2007 07:40PM

Try contacting this group and see where they are flying now. They keep moving around from field to field. http://www.1nvrc.org/

Date: June 11, 2007 09:15PM

yeah, i tried them. i had a hard time getting anyone to either watch me with a buddy box or sign off on my flying solo. i went 6 or 7 times and got a lot of cold shoulders. some of the guys were very cool, but i felt bad just showing up and interrupting their time, and they were not interested in setting up regular times.

i'm fairly experienced and was really only asking for their help as a way to meet someone in the clique.

i've been thinking about trying the loudon county club, lcaa.org but am soured on the club experience after flying in open fields.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2007 09:15PM by mikumsmukim.

Posted by: big field ()
Date: June 12, 2007 12:32PM

there is a large field with cut grass on braddock road across from cox farms out in chantilly at the intersection of braddock and pleasant valley road. i see people flying RC planes there from time-to-time

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: June 12, 2007 12:59PM

to be perfectly honest, i think a good way to find such places is to use google maps and scroll around. though you may find yourself trespassing if you are not careful.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: June 12, 2007 03:53PM

thats a soccer feild.

speaking of which, go to kincheloe park. thats public land me thinks.

also, you can offroad there, illegally, and its just a muddy field.

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: June 12, 2007 07:34PM

DCRC probably disrespected you because you weren't seriuos about fly an R\C plane. They're hardcore. Your not speaking their language. Did you try engaging them in long converation? Or just short chicken shit?

Posted by: Genevieve ()
Date: June 12, 2007 11:55PM

How big a field does one need to fly an rc airplane?

Posted by: m4ilm4n ()
Date: June 13, 2007 08:04AM

It would depend upon the size of the plane - for large-scale, such as quarter-scale, I'd suggest you contact Fauquier Aero Recreation Modelers - they have a very large field down here near the Flying Circus in Bealeton.

Date: June 13, 2007 07:58PM

in response to lurker i managed to talk for a while with some of them and no it wasn't chicken shit. i didn't think they were hardcore, they came off as a bunch of old, cliquey hens.

i'll check out a few of the spots mentioned above. i've checked google earth but the low res out in loudon makes it tough. there are plenty of rules about flying on county parkland, the enforcement varies with location. i wonder if the guys flying by braddock road in chantilly are using electrics, or if the noise doesn't bother anyone enough to complain.

i'm flying a great planes cessna 182 with a .46 engine, it's my 2nd plane. i wish i'd built a midwing plane as it looks more advanced, but i'd recieved the first plane prebuilt as a gift and wanted to build myself.

genevieve- 1/4 mile square or more for field size, also a smooth(grassy is ok) landing strip and no power lines.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2007 08:02PM by mikumsmukim.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: June 13, 2007 08:43PM

kincheloe park again.

Posted by: Fairfax MF---er ()
Date: June 14, 2007 11:55AM

mikumsmukim Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...need a place to fly.
>
> if you've got a a big field without power lines
> let us know. we pay in dollars, adult beverages or
> flying time as you see fit.

"Us." You do RC and actually have friends?

Posted by: mike ()
Date: June 14, 2007 12:24PM

wolftrap center for the performing arts - plenty of empty parking lots and fields during the day; people go there to walk and have picnics all the time, and no one has ever said anything about me flying me planes / helicopters.

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: June 14, 2007 12:31PM

My dad used to take us to those Soccer fields in Reston on the corner of Baron Cameron And WHielee! nice big fields.

Date: June 14, 2007 08:50PM

mike- do you fly electric or glow? does it matter?

fairfax mfer-no i don't have friends. just like you. that's why we're here and not out with them.

ferfux-i'll check it out, thnx

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2007 08:54PM by mikumsmukim.

Posted by: duh ()
Date: June 14, 2007 09:28PM

Can you buy insurance for those things....in case they go out of control and fuck something up?

I remember years ago when I kept a cabin cruiser at a marina.....these guys used to come down and race radio control hydroplanes on the other side of the lagoon.

The things used to go out of control regularly but never damaged anything....but one day one crossed the lagoon (maybe 1/4 mile) wide open and slammed into the side of a 50 foot wooden motoryacht docked at the marina. Only some real fast action kept that yacht from sinking.

I later heard the r/c boat club had insurance that paid for the damage.

Date: June 15, 2007 11:01AM

http://www.modelaircraft.org/

the AMA membership includes insurance, but it requires that you only fly at designated fields. i think it's a $250 deductible.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: June 15, 2007 02:37PM

duh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> one day one crossed
> the lagoon (maybe 1/4 mile) wide open and slammed
> into the side of a 50 foot wooden motoryacht
> docked at the marina. Only some real fast action
> kept that yacht from sinking.

lol! i would pay to see that!

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.