HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Any Lawyers? - Credit Card Fraud
Posted by: Oh Shit ()
Date: July 07, 2010 07:28PM

Are there any lawyers out there familiar with VA Credit Card Fraud laws?

I ask because there's someone I care about who's probably going to be charged (and likely convicted) with credit card fraud of $1000.

Is it possible that by cooperating, they could work out a plea deal or something that would make it easier on them?

No, I'm not talking about myself in the third person here. I have a friend who is a bit...unstable...and I really want to make this as easy as possible for them, as they aren't a bad person.

Thanks in advance. Yes, I know I could probably find an answer with 10 minutes of Google searching but a lawyer knows the law best and would also know if plea deals are common in this area.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Any Lawyers? - Credit Card Fraud
Posted by: pgens ()
Date: July 07, 2010 07:47PM

Oh Shit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are there any lawyers out there familiar with VA
> Credit Card Fraud laws?

Try the Google to find a lawyer.

> and I really want to make this as
> easy as possible for them, as they aren't a bad
> person.

Yes, he/she is a bad person.

> Yes, I know I could probably
> find an answer with 10 minutes of Google searching
> but a lawyer knows the law best and would also
> know if plea deals are common in this area.

So use the Google to find the lawyer instead of the answer.

Posted by: Who's this D BAG? ()
Date: July 07, 2010 07:52PM

pgens Wrote:
> Oh Shit Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Are there any lawyers out there familiar with
> VA
> > Credit Card Fraud laws?
>
> Try the Google to find a lawyer.
>
>
> > and I really want to make this as
> > easy as possible for them, as they aren't a bad
> > person.
>
> Yes, he/she is a bad person.
>
>
> > Yes, I know I could probably
> > find an answer with 10 minutes of Google
> searching
> > but a lawyer knows the law best and would also
> > know if plea deals are common in this area.
>
> So use the Google to find the lawyer instead of
> the answer.

He's asking for help stop being such a STIFF

Posted by: OP ()
Date: July 07, 2010 11:19PM

I am inquiring about law, not looking for a lawyer. I know well enough that looking on here is a bad idea. Hell, if you're a law student or someone just interested in law that happens to know then that would be great.

Besides, they may or may not be guilty. I jumped the gun a little bit on the OP. I am just inquiring so I know what I should prepare for on the emotional stress end.

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: July 08, 2010 07:40AM

Your question was about looking for a lawyer but okay whatever thats cool. In any case I would prepare for worst and hope for best, I think that is all you can do. Good luck to you and your friend and I hope he is able to get is life back together

Re: Obama + Goldman Sachs > Bush + ENRON - Where's the Outrage?
Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: July 08, 2010 07:46AM

Re: Obama + Goldman Sachs > Bush + ENRON - Where's the Outrage?

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2015 07:41PM by WingNut.

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: July 08, 2010 08:00AM

OP Wrote:
> I am inquiring about law, not looking for a
> lawyer. I know well enough that looking on here is
> a bad idea. Hell, if you're a law student or
> someone just interested in law that happens to
> know then that would be great.
>

A law student giving legal advice is a very bad idea.

I would suggest you go to the Fairfax County Bar Association and ask for a referral. Your friend will meet with a lawyer for one half hour at a nominal fee which the money goes to charity. The fee used to be $35, but probably has gone up.

Second I would go to the public library and see what information they have to offer. A book by Howard Strong called "What every Credit Card customer Needs to Know" is an excellent book and may give you some insight into what your friend is facing.

Lastly, I would have your friend pick up the phone book and look for Mental Health Fairfax County and see what no/low cost services are available for him.

And I would become a registered user here if you are going to further waste our time.

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: July 08, 2010 08:15AM

Radiophile Wrote:

> Lastly, I would have your friend pick up the phone
> book and look for Mental Health Fairfax County and
> see what no/low cost services are available for
> him.

Maybe some well intended advice, but why assume it's a mental issue and why put a drain on taxpayer resources? I know a lot of people will do that or rehab as a preemptive damage control thing to look repentent in court, but unless there is a real problem, it kind of feeds into the sociopathy.

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Date: July 09, 2010 10:45PM

I apologize, I did not intend to imply that I was looking for a lawyer to represent anyone in this case. Merely information.

I appreciate the help Radiophile, but there's no need to be a dick at the end of your post. This is the first time I've posted here and may create an account in the future but as of now there's no point if I'm only going to lurk mostly and post only these few times. I don't think I'm "wasting your time" if you took the time to post, so yeah.

Let's call the person in question "Alex".

Mental is definitely an issue. Alex takes meds and such, so that would be something to look at. Not sure if Alex would be able to handle the stress of going into something like that though, Alex is -very- volatile. Then again, perhaps that means that's exactly what Alex needs to turn it all around and come out a new person.

I'm not sure what the charge is. This is just a developing case sort of thing. Basically what happened is that a close friend of Alex got a call about a charge on their debit card made by Alex; no idea why the charge wasn't just refused since it was someone else's card, but that isn't important. So, Alex basically used someone else's debit card to make $1000 worth of purchases. As far as I know it wasn't used to directly take money out of a bank account or anything like that, just for purchases.

Posted by: The Congressman ()
Date: July 09, 2010 10:49PM

I'm a lawyer.

Date: July 09, 2010 10:57PM

No, you're just an asshole.

Date: July 09, 2010 11:04PM

I'm a lawyer AND an asshole.

Also, lawyers get paid to answer your dumbass questions. Do strangers come to where you work and ask you to do shit for them for free? Either do the research yourself of pay for it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2010 11:15PM by The Congressman.

Date: July 09, 2010 11:21PM

All I know is that you can spend years embezzling $180K using a false bank account and get a slap on the wrist. Odds are your friend will get some sort of probation and stern warning.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Date: July 09, 2010 11:25PM

The Congressman Wrote:
> I'm a lawyer AND an asshole.
>
> Also, lawyers get paid to answer your dumbass
> questions. Do strangers come to where you work
> and ask you to do shit for them for free? Either
> do the research yourself of pay for it.

Someone's totally missing the point of a public forum.

Posted by: WTF, not again ()
Date: July 09, 2010 11:44PM

I don't understand why people come here seeking legal advise from asshole strangers or try to develop some sort of cockamamie strategy of how they themselves will negotiate with a prosecutor. f-ing ridiculous. YOU ARENT A LAWYER.

1)Why doesnt "Alex" offer to pay back the 1000 bucks and maybe the victim wont feel the need to call the cops.

2)Too bad about "Alex's" emotional problems. He's a big boy, he knows that when you break the law there may be consequences. And if he feels like killing himself then he should go to INOVA and let them know so he can get help.

3)If "Alex" is charged with a crime he should get a lawyer unless he wants to go to prison for a while.

Date: July 09, 2010 11:44PM

OP Wrote:
> The Congressman Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I'm a lawyer AND an asshole.
> >
> > Also, lawyers get paid to answer your dumbass
> > questions. Do strangers come to where you work
> > and ask you to do shit for them for free?
> Either
> > do the research yourself of pay for it.
>
> Someone's totally missing the point of a public
> forum.

No, I get it. Feel free to ask, but don't expect a member of the bar to give you the information you want. So really, why bother asking?

Date: July 10, 2010 12:30AM

Chill the fuck out. I guess the stereotypical rich Fairfax County asshole crew decided to show up? And I guess you both missed the point where I wasn't looking for legal counsel, just someone who knew what they were talking about to give a 5 minute opinion on something they've had experience with?

Some people are just genuinely nice, you know. I'm not looking for a detailed strategy for the case, that's not my job, I'm leaving that up to them as that's their problem. I'm merely trying to find out what I'm looking at in terms of general severity of the punishment and whether I should go through the struggle of trying to get them to confess. If you came in here and merely said, "That's something you'd need professional legal counsel for", fine. I can deal with that. Just don't be a shithead about it.

Maybe that's too much to ask for on an anonymous, online forum filled with people that are stereotyped as dickwads, but I figured I'd try anyways. Thanks to those of you who decided to break that stereotype.

Date: July 10, 2010 12:53AM

Title of the thread: Any Lawyers? - Credit Card Fraud

You weren't asking for a lawyer's opinion (legal counsel)?

It's all in the way you ask. A little tip, lawyers hate getting legal questions from asshole family members. Worse than that is getting legal questions from assholes you just met. The worst is legal questions from assholes you don't even know.

My advice, know a lawyer so you're at least in the first group.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.