HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Fairfax man in front of grand jury for trying to ID a helicopter!
Posted by: FUNdamental ()
Date: July 06, 2010 07:30AM

FAIRFAX, Va. - An attorney for a Fairfax County man charged with interfering with the operation of an aircraft says his client only wanted to see what kind of helicopter was flying over his house before dawn.

Raymond Jeffrey Poli acknowledges aiming a laser pointer at the police helicopter on Feb. 27 after his conventional flashlight didn't help him make out the aircraft's markings. But his lawyer says he didn't mean any harm.

Now a Fairfax County grand jury is expected to decide whether Poli should stand trial.

Other pilots and a federal study have found that bright external lights can cause a flare in night-vision goggles, temporarily impairing sight. Police say Poli's actions endangered the helicopter crew.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fairfax man in front of grand jury for trying to ID a helicopter!
Posted by: hmm ()
Date: July 06, 2010 08:31AM

Pack a toothbrush, guy in AZ got 2 years to serve. Lets see , do you think a grand jury is going to believe you could se a helicopter with a lasar pointer?, Leffler is slipping if thats the best he could come up with.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fairfax man in front of grand jury for trying to ID a helicopter!
Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: July 06, 2010 09:30AM

Considering he was using an industrial laser it's going to be hard to say he was just fooling around.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fairfax man in front of grand jury for trying to ID a helicopter!
Posted by: Clobbersaurus ()
Date: July 06, 2010 09:45AM

That has to be the dumbest excuse he could go with.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fairfax man in front of grand jury for trying to ID a helicopter!
Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: July 06, 2010 09:52AM

Clobbersaurus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That has to be the dumbest excuse he could go
> with.

Agreed, At least say something like he was trying to get the distance to the moon by bouncing the laser off the moon target or some type astronomy experiment.

Trying to ID the helicopter for what? His log book of what fly's near his house?

That excuse almost implies more charges for shinning the laser at other flying aircraft.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fairfax man in front of grand jury for trying to ID a helicopter!
Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: July 06, 2010 10:12AM

"POLI ","RAYMOND ","J","045"," 7806","BLUE JASMINE ","CT","SPRINGFIELD ","VA","05/16/2007","JAYWALKING "
"POLI ","RAYMOND ","J","046"," 7806","BLUE JASMINE ","CT","SPRINGFIELD ","VA","10/06/2008","DISREGARD TRAFFIC LIGHTS

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fairfax man in front of grand jury for trying to ID a helicopter!
Posted by: FUNdamental ()
Date: July 06, 2010 10:21AM

ITRADE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "POLI ","RAYMOND ","J","045","
> 7806","BLUE JASMINE ","CT","SPRINGFIELD
> ","VA","05/16/2007","JAYWALKING
> "
> "POLI ","RAYMOND ","J","046","
> 7806","BLUE JASMINE ","CT","SPRINGFIELD
> ","VA","10/06/2008","DISREGARD TRAFFIC LIGHTS


Hang 'em!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fairfax man in front of grand jury for trying to ID a helicopter!
Date: July 06, 2010 01:05PM

FUNdamental Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> FAIRFAX, Va. - An attorney for a Fairfax County
> man charged with interfering with the operation of
> an aircraft says his client only wanted to see
> what kind of helicopter was flying over his house
> before dawn.
>
> Raymond Jeffrey Poli acknowledges aiming a laser
> pointer at the police helicopter on Feb. 27 after
> his conventional flashlight didn't help him make
> out the aircraft's markings. But his lawyer says
> he didn't mean any harm.
>
> Now a Fairfax County grand jury is expected to
> decide whether Poli should stand trial.
>
> Other pilots and a federal study have found that
> bright external lights can cause a flare in
> night-vision goggles, temporarily impairing sight.
> Police say Poli's actions endangered the
> helicopter crew.


Hmmm. What are the odds?....


http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/360991.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fairfax man in front of grand jury for trying to ID a helicopter!
Posted by: Gonads & Strife ()
Date: July 06, 2010 01:09PM

Lurker. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Clobbersaurus Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > That has to be the dumbest excuse he could go
> > with.
>
> Agreed, At least say something like he was trying
> to get the distance to the moon by bouncing the
> laser off the moon target or some type astronomy
> experiment.

>
> Trying to ID the helicopter for what? His log
> book of what fly's near his house?
>
> That excuse almost implies more charges for
> shinning the laser at other flying aircraft.


Not always a good idea...

dr-emmett-brown.jpg



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2010 01:10PM by Gonads & Strife.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fairfax man in front of grand jury for trying to ID a helicopter!
Posted by: whocares ()
Date: July 06, 2010 01:11PM

This is a big waste of tax payers money sending him through a trial and possible jail time. Give him a fine and send him on his way. If I was on his jury I would vote not guilty for wasting my time.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fairfax man in front of grand jury for trying to ID a helicopter!
Posted by: mark j ()
Date: July 11, 2010 10:41PM

I support this guy!!!

I live in the same area and TONS of times helicopters fly
around all hrs of the night (always blamed Ft Belvoir and military
training!!)


good job RAy and I hope you get off with a small fine..You have done
what I always wanted to do

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fairfax man in front of grand jury for trying to ID a helicopter!
Posted by: youdumbass ()
Date: July 11, 2010 11:13PM

whocares Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is a big waste of tax payers money sending
> him through a trial and possible jail time. Give
> him a fine and send him on his way. If I was on
> his jury I would vote not guilty for wasting my
> time.


Well for him to be fined he must be found guilty or plead guilty.. Since when do they start fining people for no reason without due process.

moron

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fairfax man in front of grand jury for trying to ID a helicopter!
Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: July 12, 2010 09:37AM

youdumbass Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> whocares Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > This is a big waste of tax payers money sending
> > him through a trial and possible jail time.
> Give
> > him a fine and send him on his way. If I was on
> > his jury I would vote not guilty for wasting my
> > time.
>
>
> Well for him to be fined he must be found guilty
> or plead guilty.. Since when do they start fining
> people for no reason without due process.
>
> moron



ever heard of the IRS?


"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fairfax man in front of grand jury for trying to ID a helicopter!
Posted by: pgens ()
Date: July 12, 2010 09:57AM

Or the SEC, FCC, the list goes on. It is common to be fined without a trial.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fairfax man in front of grand jury for trying to ID a helicopter!
Posted by: Qwest ()
Date: July 12, 2010 10:04AM

mark j Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I support this guy!!!
>
> I live in the same area and TONS of times
> helicopters fly
> around all hrs of the night (always blamed Ft
> Belvoir and military
> training!!)
>
>
> good job RAy and I hope you get off with a small
> fine..You have done
> what I always wanted to do

You might think differently if that helicopter noise dived into your house because the pilot couldn't see.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fairfax man in front of grand jury for trying to ID a helicopter!
Posted by: uhwhat? ()
Date: July 13, 2010 09:11AM

Trainspotting excuse?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fairfax man in front of grand jury for trying to ID a helicopter!
Posted by: f-off ()
Date: July 13, 2010 09:18AM

Idiots. Next we'll start reading complaints from people who moved next door to an airport and can't stand the planes flying over too low.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fairfax man in front of grand jury for trying to ID a helicopter!
Posted by: NoPoPo ()
Date: July 16, 2010 11:43PM

Sounds similar to a cop hitting you with laser radar... Sorry I am a bit tired of hearing my tax payer money flying overhead at all hours of the day and night. Who the F are they saving day in day out flying over 66. Sorry but my experience with the police is reactive not proactive....I'm tired of my tax dollars going to supporting traffic tickets...I asked for their help a few years ago and go Dick so I take care of my own and my family.!.!.!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fairfax man in front of grand jury for trying to ID a helicopter!
Posted by: Sad ()
Date: July 20, 2010 03:58PM

No. It is nothing like the police hitting you with laser radar.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fairfax man in front of grand jury for trying to ID a helicopter!
Posted by: notime? ()
Date: July 20, 2010 04:12PM

Looking up his case it appears that he got off with no time

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fairfax man in front of grand jury for trying to ID a helicopter!
Posted by: RCG239 ()
Date: July 20, 2010 04:38PM

NoPoPo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sounds similar to a cop hitting you with laser
> radar... Sorry I am a bit tired of hearing my tax
> payer money flying overhead at all hours of the
> day and night. Who the F are they saving day in
> day out flying over 66. Sorry but my experience
> with the police is reactive not proactive....I'm
> tired of my tax dollars going to supporting
> traffic tickets...I asked for their help a few
> years ago and go Dick so I take care of my own and
> my family.!.!.!


move out if you don't like the helicopter assisting with fleeing criminals/medevacing life threatening injuries/searching lost people.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2011 04:42PM by RCG239.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fairfax man in front of grand jury for trying to ID a helicopter!
Posted by: mark j ()
Date: July 23, 2010 10:40PM

RCG239 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > Since you believe that your peace and quiet
> takes precedence over the helicopter assisting
> with fleeing criminals/lost people/medevacs across
> the county, maybe you would have an easier time
> coping with this issue if you sell your house and
> move your sensitive self away from route 66, where
> the helicopter is stationed. sorry that the
> helicopter doesn't base its activities on your
> "experience" and solid understanding of law
> enforcement.



SORRY..but NoPoPo is CORRECT!!!

Stop wasting my tax dollars joyriding in choppers looking for some alleged dumbass criminal....HOpe this guy gets off with just a slap of his hand...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fairfax man in front of grand jury for trying to ID a helicopter!
Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: July 23, 2010 10:44PM

How the hell would a laser pointer help you read an aircraft's tail number? What a load of crap.

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fairfax man in front of grand jury for trying to ID a helicopter!
Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: July 23, 2010 10:48PM

Lurker. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Clobbersaurus Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > That has to be the dumbest excuse he could go
> > with.
>
> Agreed, At least say something like he was trying
> to get the distance to the moon by bouncing the
> laser off the moon target or some type astronomy
> experiment.
>
> Trying to ID the helicopter for what? His log
> book of what fly's near his house?
>
> That excuse almost implies more charges for
> shinning the laser at other flying aircraft.


A better excuse would be that he was trying to point out stars to someone, or that he was attempting to use the laser as a focusing aide for his camera/telescope. He could also say that he was in the process of adjusting the set-up, and he didn't notice it hitting the helicopter right away.

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fairfax man in front of grand jury for trying to ID a helicopter!
Posted by: Katrina ()
Date: October 21, 2010 11:13AM

Does anyone know what happened with Poli?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fairfax man in front of grand jury for trying to ID a helicopter!
Posted by: Bill ()
Date: October 21, 2010 12:40PM

f-off Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Idiots. Next we'll start reading complaints from
> people who moved next door to an airport and can't
> stand the planes flying over too low.

Not the same effing thing. This isn't a case where someone moved next door to a noisy neighbor. It is closer to a noisy neighbor moving next to you. However even in the case of the airport, if the airplanes fly too low over your property you can go after them for trespass.

Options: ReplyQuote


Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
 **    **  ********   ********   **     **  ******** 
  **  **   **     **  **     **  ***   ***     **    
   ****    **     **  **     **  **** ****     **    
    **     ********   **     **  ** *** **     **    
    **     **     **  **     **  **     **     **    
    **     **     **  **     **  **     **     **    
    **     ********   ********   **     **     **    
This forum powered by Phorum.