HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2
ripoff Fairfax area Airconditioner repair guys
Posted by: almost screwed ()
Date: July 03, 2010 11:27AM

I had two big local A/C companies come out to look at my downstairs heat pump that was acting up. They both told me it was shot and was no good because it still used freon. I got quotes of 9 to 12 grand to replace depending on the seer and the warranty. They even told me that I should replace the upstairs unit too while we were at it.
I decided to call a small local guy that has a good reputation with some of my neighbors, he took a couple days to get out because he was so busy, he fixed my downstairs unit for $422.16. This guy said all it needed was a control board and some loose wiring tightened up! He said that yes my unit does use freon but it does not seem to be leaking or anything and maybe I should think about replacement in the next five years.
What a screwjob these contractors with the full page ads in the yellow pages are!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Obama + Goldman Sachs > Bush + ENRON - Where's the Outrage?
Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: July 03, 2010 12:30PM

+

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2015 07:36PM by WingNut.

Re: ripoff Fairfax area Airconditioner repair guys
Posted by: wally pip ()
Date: July 03, 2010 02:02PM

I still remember how the assholes at Jones Rogers conned my elderly father into getting a new a/c system when the old one was just 3 years old! Shameless Effers!

Posted by: Rebecca ()
Date: July 03, 2010 02:31PM

I'd like the name of the honest repair guy! Ripoff ones are a dime a dozen, but honest ones are sooo hard to find!

Congratulations on calling the right guy!

Posted by: jjoe ()
Date: July 03, 2010 03:41PM

Did I get screwed? I just had a guy out to fix my a/c. He charged $85 a pound for refrigerant and said I needed 6 pounds. He also charged $320 to clean my coil. My total bill was over $700.00. Seems pretty steep to me. Doing some online research, most places charge around $20-$45 for a pound of refrigerant. Cleaning the coil doesn't seem that involved either from reading the step by step do it yourself websites.

If I wasn't screwed and you think I got a fair deal, I'll share the name of the contractor with you. He did get my a/c running again and was nice enough. Also, how long should such a job take?

Posted by: HVAC retired ()
Date: July 03, 2010 04:18PM

jjoe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did I get screwed? I just had a guy out to fix my
> a/c. He charged $85 a pound for refrigerant and
> said I needed 6 pounds. He also charged $320 to
> clean my coil. My total bill was over $700.00.
> Seems pretty steep to me. Doing some online
> research, most places charge around $20-$45 for a
> pound of refrigerant. Cleaning the coil doesn't
> seem that involved either from reading the step by
> step do it yourself websites.
>
> If I wasn't screwed and you think I got a fair
> deal, I'll share the name of the contractor with
> you. He did get my a/c running again and was nice
> enough. Also, how long should such a job take?

I dont think you got screwed on the price but did the contractor recomend a leak search? It would be a shame to spend all that money on a recharge only to have it leak out again by august.
Cleaning a indoor coil can be a easy job or an almost impossible job depending on where the coil is located, how dirty it is and how much acess the installing contractor left for it.
As the cutoff date of 1/1/2020 gets closer the price of r-22 (freon) will continue to skyrocket. Sadly Dupont and Allied will continue to provide other countries with inexpensive freon. Only the countries that signed the Montreal protocal will get to bear the cost of the less effective more troublesome "green" chemicals. A good percentage of homes in this area are already using the r-410 (puron) systems.

Posted by: jroc ()
Date: July 03, 2010 05:14PM

stay away from cyprus air

-- the technicians are nice and seem honest for the most part

the repairs and prices are about 2.5 - 3 times over priced!

Posted by: teamleader ()
Date: July 03, 2010 09:23PM

jroc Wrote:
> stay away from cyprus air
>
> -- the technicians are nice and seem honest for
> the most part
>
>
> the repairs and prices are about 2.5 - 3 times
> over priced!

HVAC service, you get what you pay for.

People seem to think that HVAC guys do not deserve a 6 figure salary and call our services overpriced. But when they are hot or freezing they will pay almost anything.

Posted by: ShopMaven ()
Date: July 03, 2010 10:11PM

Reliable: Sam's Heat & Air -- small local guy who will come out night or day and will FIX it. Love Sam's.

Replacing? ACE -- fair quote, fair price, good work and stands behind the work.

Posted by: Lower Alexandria ()
Date: July 05, 2010 09:25AM

jroc Wrote:
> stay away from cyprus air
>
> -- the technicians are nice and seem honest for
> the most part
>
>
> the repairs and prices are about 2.5 - 3 times
> over priced!

I had a real bad experience with ARS and with FH Furr. The service guy from FH Furr even told me that they are forced to sell people new stuff weather they need it or not - or they loose their jobs.

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: July 05, 2010 09:40AM

-

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2015 11:42PM by WingNut.

Posted by: HVAC Man ()
Date: July 05, 2010 06:55PM

almost screwed Wrote:

> he fixed my downstairs unit for $422.16. This guy
> said all it needed was a control board and some
> loose wiring tightened up! He said that yes my
> unit does use freon but it does not seem to be
> leaking or anything and maybe I should think about
> replacement in the next five years.

LOL, you will be the first one back here bitching when your compressor craps out in a month and you spent 400 bucks to fix something not even worth that in scrap.

Rule of thumb: (not including builder grade equipment) If it's been ten years or longer since installed and the repair will cost 10% of a new unit/system , go new.

Nothing lasts for ever. Would you put a $1500 transmission in a car worth $750???

As an HVAC tech, I'm pretty sure you just threw away good money on an old inefficient piece of crap.

BTW, the board your "good guy" put in cost about $25.

Posted by: HVAC Man ()
Date: July 05, 2010 07:05PM

Let me add:

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.”

Posted by: trollerz ()
Date: July 05, 2010 08:42PM

Yeah...these repair guys are jerks. "Well, we can replace the coil but its going to take a week to get in or we can replace the whole unit today," "Oh, we ordered the wrong part, sorry, it's going to take another week or we could replace it for you today,"

animals.

just wanting me to sweat it out and cave

Posted by: say ()
Date: July 05, 2010 09:38PM

Rule of thumb: The bigger the Yellow Pages ad, the more TV (or print) advertising they do, the bigger you get fucked. And nonsense like "wave at the man on the back of the truck" absolutely guarantees it!

Call the guys with the 2-line Yellow pages ads.

I'd recommend the guy I use, but he's already too busy.

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: July 06, 2010 01:16AM

I've worked in HVAC and it is just like every other business. You buy the product cheap and sell it high.

I agree with the one poster that if you put 6 pounds of freon in and didn't find a leak you wasted money. Ask the tech what the "delta is." 75% of HVAC guys are guessing or wrong on how much freon is needed.

Cleaning the coils, when we did it we sprayed an acid wash on the coils and then washed it off. The problem is only an A\C certified repairman can get the acid.

The actual furnances\heat pumps and compressors are cheap, however if you need new freon lines run and new duct work to put them in its going to cost more. Makes sure each item is shown on the estimate.

HVAC is a lot like car repair. You replace and hope the parts are going to last or get a new unit. Of course a person is going to try to sell you a new unit.

Posted by: MommyLion ()
Date: July 06, 2010 01:59AM

just my two cents (or more considering hvac)...

we have used ARS for years - and we are REALLY picky - no, really - and we are quite happy with them...

good contractors are nearly impossible to find...get lots a references from people you know & trust and then hope you have better luck next time.

Posted by: Brad ()
Date: July 09, 2010 09:25PM

MommyLion Wrote:
> just my two cents (or more considering hvac)...
>
> we have used ARS for years - and we are REALLY
> picky - no, really - and we are quite happy with
> them...
>
> good contractors are nearly impossible to
> find...get lots a references from people you know
> & trust and then hope you have better luck next
> time.

ARS was a good company untill the new owners took over. Two guys who got fired from trugreen-chemlawn are in charge of ARS now and are in the process of screwing all the clients . ARS now stands for Always Replace the System.

Posted by: MtVernonMom ()
Date: July 10, 2010 10:08PM

Try HVAC Unlimited Inc. Very honest and know what they're doing! Another a/c firm said we needed about $4K worth of work. HVAC fixed the a/c and it only cost around $275. That was two years ago and it's still running great.

HVAC Unlimited Inc., Springfield, VA 703-455-6000.

Posted by: Oxyclean ()
Date: July 11, 2010 09:51AM

trollerz Wrote:
> Yeah...these repair guys are jerks. "Well, we can
> replace the coil but its going to take a week to
> get in or we can replace the whole unit today,"
> "Oh, we ordered the wrong part, sorry, it's going
> to take another week or we could replace it for
> you today,"
>
> animals.
>
> just wanting me to sweat it out and cave

lol wtf. Which company pulled that shit? At that point I'd say, "Then we're done here. I'm going to get another company to fix it for me."

Posted by: Teh King ()
Date: July 11, 2010 10:37AM

I can see both sides of the fence here. On one hand I can see how someone would be reluctant to replace a 10 year old unit. I replaced my 20 year old unit back in fall of 2004 and I'd be pissed if a tech suggested I replace my entire system in four years. However, I doubt I'd need to do that. My latest system is well engineered in terms of the matching of the compressor unit to the evaporator. My previous system had been hacked together when the previous owner replaced the compressor and mismatched the BTU ratings. My new system is a larger capacity and while only 14 SEER my cooling costs have dropped by 30-40%. I can't compare heating costs since I now run a duel fuel (gas/heat pump) system for heat and an instantaneous hot water heater so my electric has dropped by at least 50% in the winter but now I do have a gas bill. Still the overall heating and cooling is *much* cheaper. Plus my new system uses 410 so I wont have to deal with the scarcity of freon.

Sure the $7K-$10K cost is a bitter pill to swallow but from a pure cost-benefit standpoint a new system often makes sense over a 10 year period. This is especially true if the old system is poorly engineered, in poor condition or technologically obsolete. Of course whether or not you can afford a new system or not is a different situation altogether and sometimes you gotta limp along making only necessary repairs. Many HVAC companies feel they have you by the balls when it's 100degF outside and they will put alot of pressure on you.

Posted by: HVAC retired ()
Date: July 11, 2010 02:48PM

Teh King Wrote:
> I can see both sides of the fence here. On one
> hand I can see how someone would be reluctant to
> replace a 10 year old unit. I replaced my 20 year
> old unit back in fall of 2004 and I'd be pissed if
> a tech suggested I replace my entire system in
> four years. However, I doubt I'd need to do that.
> My latest system is well engineered in terms of
> the matching of the compressor unit to the
> evaporator. My previous system had been hacked
> together when the previous owner replaced the
> compressor and mismatched the BTU ratings. My new
> system is a larger capacity and while only 14 SEER
> my cooling costs have dropped by 30-40%. I can't
> compare heating costs since I now run a duel fuel
> (gas/heat pump) system for heat and an
> instantaneous hot water heater so my electric has
> dropped by at least 50% in the winter but now I do
> have a gas bill. Still the overall heating and
> cooling is *much* cheaper. Plus my new system uses
> 410 so I wont have to deal with the scarcity of
> freon.
>
> Sure the $7K-$10K cost is a bitter pill to swallow
> but from a pure cost-benefit standpoint a new
> system often makes sense over a 10 year period.
> This is especially true if the old system is
> poorly engineered, in poor condition or
> technologically obsolete. Of course whether or not
> you can afford a new system or not is a different
> situation altogether and sometimes you gotta limp
> along making only necessary repairs. Many HVAC
> companies feel they have you by the balls when
> it's 100degF outside and they will put alot of
> pressure on you.

It sounds like you got outstanding service from your previous A/C system. 20 years is a great lifespan for an A/C in this area. The thing thats going on now with these big contractors is the federal tax credit and the super high SEER ratings on these new units.
They send a high pressure sales guy to your house and preach the fear of no more freon plus the tax credit plus rebates and long warranties from the manufacturer and they claim to be giving you a $15000 system for $12000. Sometimes they have trained the so-called service tech to push this garbage down your throat.
Smaller honest companies with low overhead can do a system replacement with five times the quality at nearly half the cost. The hard part is finding these companies because there are lots of small contractors that are nearly clueless.
One thing that I found in my 30+ years in the business is that if you are really good at what you do the work comes at you faster than you can keep up. I bought a yellow page ad one year and all it did was overload my phone lines when I was too busy to take anymore work. I felt that I could not maintain my high quality standard with more than 6 or 7 employees.

Posted by: Les ()
Date: July 11, 2010 06:25PM

we've used Residential Systems in Centreville for about 20 yrs. We picked them out since they were the HVAC firm on American Home Shield home warranty and had worked on three of the rentals.

Date: July 12, 2010 12:51PM

They came over this afternoon to fix the A/C ($220). Boy, have prices gone up for new systems. There seems to be major gouging going on because the buyers can get back 30% of the cost from the government in a tax credit until the end of this year. I used to get $2500 to $3000 quotes for new furnace a couple of years ago. Now they've run up to $4500 to $6000 which is just enough for the $1500 limit on the tax credit. He told me it was a having major effect on demand and prices should drop off by the fall.

Posted by: Happy n Cool ()
Date: July 12, 2010 05:13PM

My A/C went out last week when it was 102 degrees. I called John C. Flood at noon, expecting them to say that they would get to me sometime next week. Instead, I was plesantly surprised when they said they would be out to my house in 2 hours. They called 30 minutes prior to arrival and showed up on time. The technician was friendly, knowledgeable and efficient. He diagnosed the problem within 5 minutes and repaired the unit within 15 minutes. My bill was less than $270.00

I recommend calling John C. Flood to fix your A/C.

Posted by: DoItYourself ()
Date: July 12, 2010 08:46PM

One thing I learned when my AC just went out (seems like a lot of people recently experienced this joy) is that the capacitor is frequently a part that fails. To replace the capacitor it is a 5 min job at most and an HVAC company will charge about $300-$350 to do it. Capacitors cost about $25-$30 at most.

These sites show you the basics. You have to be safe obviously, as capacitors still hold a charge and the A/C system itself is high voltage (covered in these tutorials) The TRICK is...to have the spare capacitor on hand BEFORE it goes out. Trying to buy one when it's out is not an option when your house is 95 deg with 80% humidity. So figure out what your capacitor(s) are, buy them now and keep them stockpiled as cheap insurance. The worst part is not paying the $300 for the HVAC guy to do it, it's the waiting 3 days in the sweltering heat for an appointment.

http://diyhvacrepair.com/RepairScripts/capacitor.php
http://www.ehow.com/how_5899124_replace-start-capacitor-a_c-motor.html
http://www.hvac-for-beginners.com/capacitor-testing.html
http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Air-Conditioner-Dual-Run-Capacitor-Replacement-Guide/index.html

Posted by: Mike Torrez ()
Date: July 12, 2010 09:07PM

DoItYourself Wrote:
> One thing I learned when my AC just went out
> (seems like a lot of people recently experienced
> this joy) is that the capacitor is frequently a
> part that fails. To replace the capacitor it is a
> 5 min job at most and an HVAC company will charge
> about $300-$350 to do it. Capacitors cost about
> $25-$30 at most.
>
> These sites show you the basics. You have to be
> safe obviously, as capacitors still hold a charge
> and the A/C system itself is high voltage (covered
> in these tutorials) The TRICK is...to have the
> spare capacitor on hand BEFORE it goes out. Trying
> to buy one when it's out is not an option when
> your house is 95 deg with 80% humidity. So figure
> out what your capacitor(s) are, buy them now and
> keep them stockpiled as cheap insurance. The
> worst part is not paying the $300 for the HVAC guy
> to do it, it's the waiting 3 days in the
> sweltering heat for an appointment.
>
> http://diyhvacrepair.com/RepairScripts/capacitor.p
> hp
> http://www.ehow.com/how_5899124_replace-start-capa
> citor-a_c-motor.html
> http://www.hvac-for-beginners.com/capacitor-testin
> g.html
> http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Air-Conditioner
> -Dual-Run-Capacitor-Replacement-Guide/index.html

My brother tried to replace his own capictor and he got two of his fingertips blown off. The smart money is on letting a contractor take care of it.

Posted by: ACTech ()
Date: July 13, 2010 02:24AM

DoItYourself, while it is admirable that perhaps YOU can safely work on 208v equipment, to advise the great untrained masses to just take off the cover and do it themselves is nothing short of irresponsible. And btw, when I find that some bozo, or Harry Homeowner, has attempted a repair, the price goes up.

I just hope nobody gets injured.

Posted by: Troll@AOL ()
Date: July 13, 2010 02:27AM

Did he died alot?

==================================================================================
"Why don't you LOSERS just pack your flower print DOUCHE BAGS
and get your stoopid @$$#$ THE FUCK OFF MY INTERNETZ!"

- 'philscamms' (the YT Watchdog) ; internet & YouTube® extraordinaire.

Posted by: hard start ()
Date: July 17, 2010 01:32AM

DoItYourself Wrote:
> One thing I learned when my AC just went out
> (seems like a lot of people recently experienced
> this joy) is that the capacitor is frequently a
> part that fails. To replace the capacitor it is a
> 5 min job at most and an HVAC company will charge
> about $300-$350 to do it. Capacitors cost about
> $25-$30 at most.
>
> These sites show you the basics. You have to be
> safe obviously, as capacitors still hold a charge
> and the A/C system itself is high voltage (covered
> in these tutorials) The TRICK is...to have the
> spare capacitor on hand BEFORE it goes out. Trying
> to buy one when it's out is not an option when
> your house is 95 deg with 80% humidity. So figure
> out what your capacitor(s) are, buy them now and
> keep them stockpiled as cheap insurance. The
> worst part is not paying the $300 for the HVAC guy
> to do it, it's the waiting 3 days in the
> sweltering heat for an appointment.
>
> http://diyhvacrepair.com/RepairScripts/capacitor.p
> hp
> http://www.ehow.com/how_5899124_replace-start-capa
> citor-a_c-motor.html
> http://www.hvac-for-beginners.com/capacitor-testin
> g.html
> http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Air-Conditioner
> -Dual-Run-Capacitor-Replacement-Guide/index.html

One capacitor is all you need if you got a Turbo.
2.5 to 67.5 microfarad in one capacitor. I wish I had invented these years ago, these things are the shit.

http://www.hvacr-tools.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=HVACR&Product_Code=Turbo-200&Category_Code=CAPACITORS

Date: July 17, 2010 01:55AM

That's why I have window airconditioners + central air. This saves money also.

And I HIGHLY DON'T RECOMEND ANYONE TRY AND CHANGE THE HIGH VOLTAGE CAPACITOR ON THEIR HEAT PUMP OR AC COMPRESSOR. I'M NOT A PROFESSIONAL A/C TECH BUT I GUARANTEE YOU IF YOU FUCK UP, IT COULD BE THE LAST TIME YOU DO.

Capacitors are nothing to play around with and in my opinion REPLACEMENT SHOULD BE LEFT TO A PROFESSIONAL!!!

==================================================================================

Date: July 17, 2010 11:03AM

Troll@AOL Wrote:
> That's why I have window airconditioners + central
> air. This saves money also.
>
> And I HIGHLY DON'T RECOMEND ANYONE TRY AND CHANGE
> THE HIGH VOLTAGE CAPACITOR ON THEIR HEAT PUMP OR
> AC COMPRESSOR. I'M NOT A PROFESSIONAL A/C TECH
> BUT I GUARANTEE YOU IF YOU FUCK UP, IT COULD BE
> THE LAST TIME YOU DO.
>
> Capacitors are nothing to play around with and in
> my opinion REPLACEMENT SHOULD BE LEFT TO A
> PROFESSIONAL!!!

Dude, Run capacitors that are commonly found on residential heat pumps and a/c's arent gonna kill anyone. We charge these things up all the time and shock the shit out of people with them for fun. Anything under 100 mfd @440v aint gonna do crap. Most of these capacitors are under 60 mfd.
Just make sure the power is shut off to the indoor and outdoor units and if youre a big puzzy abuot it you can discharge the capacitor through a common voltmeter.

Posted by: mcsmack ()
Date: July 17, 2010 11:34AM

almost screwed Wrote:
> I had two big local A/C companies come out to look
> at my downstairs heat pump that was acting up.
> They both told me it was shot and was no good
> because it still used freon. I got quotes of 9 to
> 12 grand to replace depending on the seer and the
> warranty. They even told me that I should replace
> the upstairs unit too while we were at it.
> I decided to call a small local guy that has a
> good reputation with some of my neighbors, he took
> a couple days to get out because he was so busy,
> he fixed my downstairs unit for $422.16. This guy
> said all it needed was a control board and some
> loose wiring tightened up! He said that yes my
> unit does use freon but it does not seem to be
> leaking or anything and maybe I should think about
> replacement in the next five years.
> What a screwjob these contractors with the full
> page ads in the yellow pages are!

This is in my area of expertise. The adds you refer to are designed to grab your attention and make you call. I see a lot of these owners going to seminars, paying high prices to join programs and hiring marketing companies to do one thing and one thing only,...Increase the average invoice total.

I,ve told a few of these colleagues that if they have to pay someone to teach them how to run their businesses they're probably in the wrong business.

Things you want to avoid:

1) Big yellow page adds with wording like "Save Money" personal pics of owners or what appears to be their families

2) Flat rate or upfront pricing. It's okay to get an estimate but don't fall for the "Price up front and it won't change if were here one hour or ten hours" scheme. They're right it won't change but most likely is hyper-inflated upfront.
These programs teach owners to couple this approach with free service calls or no fee to show up and then the service techs are trained to close quickly and up-sell with incentives for them and usually require a signed authorization service contract before his work begins. This is specifically designed to protect the company legally if you decide later you have been ripped off. A signed contract is hard to beat in court.

3) Pre-paid maintenance agreements. We have picked up lots of customers from companies that run off long time and loyal clients because all of the sudden they are required to pay four to five hundred dollars annually to become "preferred customers" They sell it by telling you "Hey if it's hot outside and everyones A/C is broken you will be at the top of our list because you are a preferred customer"! They also load it up with all kinds of supposed benefits that of course will "save you money". All of our clients are preferred customers and it doesn't require them to pay $500.00 up front.

An old client of mine told me once that it doesn't make sense to pre-pay for a service. He was happy to keep his money in his bank.

Referrals is a great way to find good reliable service. Ask your friends and neighbors, people you work with and such.

Date: July 17, 2010 01:17PM

Obvious HACK A/C tech wrote:
------------------------------------
>Dude, Run capacitors that are commonly found on residential heat pumps and a/c's arent gonna kill anyone. We charge these things up all the time and shock the shit out of people with them for fun. Anything under 100 mfd @440v aint gonna do crap. Most of these capacitors are under 60 mfd.

Oh right, this makes alot of sense being that a simple CELLPHONE CHARGER can deliver enough of a shock to kill you.

Plus we are talking bout a 440v capacitor DESIGNED to deal out ALL it's juice ALL at once.

ONCE AGAIN, the average person SHOULD NOT open up and try to work on any high voltage device! If service is needed, just leave it to the PROFESSIONALS.

Date: July 17, 2010 03:41PM

Troll@AOL Wrote:
> Obvious HACK A/C tech wrote:
> ------------------------------------
> >Dude, Run capacitors that are commonly found on
> residential heat pumps and a/c's arent gonna kill
> anyone. We charge these things up all the time and
> shock the shit out of people with them for fun.
> Anything under 100 mfd @440v aint gonna do crap.
> Most of these capacitors are under 60 mfd.
>
>
> Oh right, this makes alot of sense being that a
> simple CELLPHONE CHARGER can deliver enough of a
> shock to kill you.
>
> Plus we are talking bout a 440v capacitor DESIGNED
> to deal out ALL it's juice ALL at once.
>
> ONCE AGAIN, the average person SHOULD NOT open up
> and try to work on any high voltage device! If
> service is needed, just leave it to the
> PROFESSIONALS.

You R funny Mr. Troll. You might want to study your 9th grade physics book again. Voltage has very little to do with the danger of electrocution of a human. We all sustain static electric shocks of tens of thousands of volts all the time. Radio shack sells toys that deliver tens of thousands of volts to the user all in the name of fun. A 12 volt DC car battery can and has killed people because it can deliver hundreds of amps. Service technicians have been killed by 24v ac control circuits because they are tied to a transformer that can provide a decent ammount of amperage. A fully charged 60 mfd/440vac run capacitor can give you a jolt but nowhere near what a capacitor in a police officer's stun gun can provide. As long as you are sure that the line voltage to capacitor is disconnected these capacitors are harmless.

Posted by: dave dave ()
Date: July 18, 2010 03:38PM

Happy n Cool Wrote:
> My A/C went out last week when it was 102 degrees.
> I called John C. Flood at noon, expecting them to
> say that they would get to me sometime next week.
> Instead, I was plesantly surprised when they said
> they would be out to my house in 2 hours. They
> called 30 minutes prior to arrival and showed up
> on time. The technician was friendly,
> knowledgeable and efficient. He diagnosed the
> problem within 5 minutes and repaired the unit
> within 15 minutes. My bill was less than $270.00
>
> I recommend calling John C. Flood to fix your A/C.

Flood has been real good to me. Cropp metcalfe tried to rip me bigtime in my opinion. I have four rental properties and my tennants pay their own electric bills so I could care less about efficency. Flood fixed a furnace for me that cropp said was bad and that furnace has lasted 5 winters now.

Posted by: Chris ()
Date: July 19, 2010 03:57PM

I have to agree about John C Flood...they have always provided me with excellent service and have always helped out when something was in desperate need. I do see alot of negative reviews for John C Flood, unfortunately there are two John C Flood companies locally doing the same thing...I believe they were partners at one time but have been independent for many years now but with the same name...but the other John C Flood is horrible with many problems and complaints...

These are some good videos giving instructions on how to perform som basic routine maintenance on your HVAC system to keeping it working at its best...which with the heat lately this is a very good idea...here's a link and maybe some of you may find these videos useful.

http://www.johncflood.com/services/training-videos.html

Posted by: Chantilly Homeowner ()
Date: July 24, 2010 09:32AM

Chris Wrote:
> I have to agree about John C Flood...they have
> always provided me with excellent service and have
> always helped out when something was in desperate
> need. I do see alot of negative reviews for John C
> Flood, unfortunately there are two John C Flood
> companies locally doing the same thing...I believe
> they were partners at one time but have been
> independent for many years now but with the same
> name...but the other John C Flood is horrible with
> many problems and complaints...
>
> These are some good videos giving instructions on
> how to perform som basic routine maintenance on
> your HVAC system to keeping it working at its
> best...which with the heat lately this is a very
> good idea...here's a link and maybe some of you
> may find these videos useful.
>
> http://www.johncflood.com/services/training-videos
> .html

I wish I had called flood. I used big national company and they put a new central ac in on tues, it broke down on thurs and again last night now they wont answer the phone. I did notice that the check I wrote them for 9 grand cleared the bank okay. Guess its the comfort inn for me tonight.

Date: July 24, 2010 09:54AM

wtf. 9 grand?? how big was that system?

Date: July 24, 2010 10:28AM

Oxyclean Wrote:
> wtf. 9 grand?? how big was that system?

4 ton 18 seer plus a uv light and media filter.
Do you think we got ripped off?

Posted by: Chris ()
Date: July 24, 2010 01:26PM

What company did you use? Not answering their phone is horrible. That is interesting that they cashed that $9K check and now won't answer the phone. Maybe a call to the local better business bureau might be in order. I had a neighbor have a system installed by a different company and something similar stopped working and could not get anyone to come out and look at the problem, so they called John C Flood in desperate need and they came out within an hour and fixed the problem. Something to consider. Just make sure you get the right John C Flood. Their va number is 703 914-1800.

Date: July 24, 2010 02:38PM

Chantilly Homeowner Wrote:
> Oxyclean Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > wtf. 9 grand?? how big was that system?
>
>
> 4 ton 18 seer plus a uv light and media filter.
> Do you think we got ripped off?

That's a badass AC unit. Given what I know about prices on 13 & 14 seer for 1.5 to 2 ton, I think you got a great deal.

Date: July 24, 2010 02:41PM

Chris Wrote:
> What company did you use? Not answering their
> phone is horrible. That is interesting that they
> cashed that $9K check and now won't answer the
> phone. Maybe a call to the local better business
> bureau might be in order. I had a neighbor have a
> system installed by a different company and
> something similar stopped working and could not
> get anyone to come out and look at the problem, so
> they called John C Flood in desperate need and
> they came out within an hour and fixed the
> problem. Something to consider. Just make sure you
> get the right John C Flood. Their va number is 703
> 914-1800.

I dont want to name the company here on a public forum. The company did call me back and said that their call center in texas was overwhelmed with calls due to the heat. They promised to have a tech at my home today between 1 and 7 pm. I guess anyone in the A/C business would be overwhelmed today. My son is waiting for them at my 96 degree house and I'm at the hotel now.

Posted by: G ()
Date: July 24, 2010 07:36PM

Replacing the capacitor is easy, you just need a little electrical knowledge + take the right precautions... I've saved a few neighbors a big repair bill by doing it for them. Very common failure, the cap is known to die in super-hot weather like this, especially if your compressor unit is exposed on the sunny side of the house. The top of it will bulge up like it wants to burst, and sometimes smells like burned electronics, that's how you know it's gone bad.

Date: July 26, 2010 08:31PM

what's the going cost for replacing condenser coil? neighbor has flooding in the wall and no cooling effect. tolder he that it was the condenser coil which can be pretty expensive. we had it done 5+ yrs ago for approx 400-600.

Posted by: Jermaine ()
Date: October 07, 2010 11:50AM

Don't use Cropp-Metcaffe.. They just RIPPED off my cousins dad for 735.00 they replaced control board & cleaned the Ignitor in a gas furnace. Control board is 98.00 part, they charged 550.00 for the new universal(economy) part, they have labor rate of 115.00 for first hour plus $35.00 each 15 minutes additional time. (Tech gets paid 16.00 and hour Cropp charges 140 and hour. How do you spell RIPOFF?) They prey on older people and ask them to buy service contracts of 2 levels starting at 300 per year to 500 per year to maintain their furnace/ac. "Pure profit" to the A/C companies as they claim in their article to Contractor Magazine. They claim they were selling these contracts long before Sears did it.

Posted by: theeerrreee back!! ()
Date: May 25, 2011 08:35AM

Man I just paid 412 bucks for a positive temperature coefficent start thermistor, whatever the hell that is. They also flushed the drain and check the system. Did I get ripped off??

Posted by: what the heck ()
Date: May 25, 2011 12:39PM

Total cost to replace a 370 volt cap $394?

Part is only $30 and they charged $245 just for that part!!

Michael's Heating and Air stay away from them.

Posted by: A/C man ()
Date: May 25, 2011 04:51PM

what the heck Wrote:
> Total cost to replace a 370 volt cap $394?
>
> Part is only $30 and they charged $245 just for
> that part!!
>
> Michael's Heating and Air stay away from them.

That sounds about right if not a little cheap.
To get a tech to your home these are some of the costs that must be covered:

Advertising
Phone
Office rent
Office utilities
employee to answer phone
computer and wireless to dispatch the call
business licence
liability insurance
Service vehicle
vehicle insurance
truck inventory
tools and test insturments
Service tech salary (the good ones make over 80k)
Management salary
Training
After hours answering service
Profit
and more

You Got a bargin!

If you dont want to pay why not just live without A/C.

Posted by: Kevinli ()
Date: May 27, 2011 02:59PM

I got the same issue, could you please let me know the contact info of the guy/company that refilled freon for you? i really need such info ASAP. Thanks and have a nice weekend. Kevin (li_yiru@hotmail.com)

Posted by: ?? ()
Date: May 27, 2011 07:31PM

Kevinli Wrote:
> I got the same issue, could you please let me know
> the contact info of the guy/company that refilled
> freon for you? i really need such info ASAP.
> Thanks and have a nice weekend. Kevin
> (li_yiru@hotmail.com)

which post are you responding to?

Posted by: cooler now ()
Date: June 18, 2011 01:05PM

Just got my A-C fixed by duvalls (from manassas)
They did me right. All the honest companies seem to come from manassas.

they replaced my condensor fan and cleaned the system for less than 400 bucks. I thought that was very cheap.

Posted by: ........ ()
Date: June 18, 2011 03:26PM

Mike Torrez Wrote:

> My brother tried to replace his own capictor and
> he got two of his fingertips blown off. The smart
> money is on letting a contractor take care of it.

Let me guess, your brother did it with the power turned on. Anyone who could replace a car battery or jump-start a car without blowing themselves up could replace a capacitor without blowing themselves up.

Posted by: Check em Out ()
Date: June 18, 2011 09:58PM

THE TOP TEN FROM WASHINGTON CONSUMER CHECK BOOK MAGAZINE:

1. L L Jordan Heating & Air Conditioning
9710 Glenway Ct
Burke, VA 22015
703-644-510
30 ratings 100% $91

2. Air Comfort Specialist
Round Hill, VA 20141
540-338-0308
14 ratings 100% $90

3. A/C Doc
11014 Sunset Hills Rd
Reston, VA 20190
703-406-9446
Arlington Co.
** 10 ratings 100% No data***

4. David C Morgan Air Conditioning & Heating
6905 Essex Ave
Springfield, VA 22150
703-866-9742
** 11 ratings 100% No data***

5. Hart's Heating & Cooling Service
15202 Bannon Hill Ct
Chantilly, VA 20151
703-378-2070
No data - ** 13 ratings 100% No data***

6. JBB Heating A/C
Manassas, VA 20111
703-360-2242

7. Marwah Heating & Air Conditioning
2832 Raymond Ct
Falls Church, VA 22042
703-532-0956

8. T B Lucas Mechanical
2965 PS Business Center Dr
Woodbridge, VA 22192
703-580-88
** 12 ratings 100% No data***

9. Twintech
PO Box 111
McLean, VA 22101
703-534-8946
No data - ** 11 ratings 100% No data***

10. Virginia Air Heating & Cooling
PO Box 591
Gainesville, VA 20156
703-669-0600

I USE M.R. STRIDE, ALSO RECOMMENDED BY CHECKBOOK MAGAZINE. THIS IS A FAMILY BUSINESS THAT ALSO GETS HIGH MARKS FOR LOW PRICE:

M R Stride Plumbing Heating & Air Conditioning
445 Nelson Dr
Vienna, VA 22180
703-893-5161
33 ratings 88%

THE BOTTOM TEN:

165. A-Plus Air Conditioning & Heating
PO Box 247
Bryans Road, MD 20616
301-283-3293
Arlington Co.
45 ratings 53% $99

166. Harvey W Hottel
18900 Woodfield Rd
Gaithersburg, MD 20879
301-921-9599
160 ratings 51% $131

167. Magnolia Plumbing
600 Gallatin St NE
Washington, DC 20017
202-829-8510
26 ratings 50% $110

168. Jiffy Plumbing & Heating
4623 Baltimore Ave
Hyattsville, MD 20781
301-277-9111
20 ratings 50% $94*

169. Sears
All locations combined

800-473-7247

** 168 ratings 49% No data

170. John C Flood of DC
711 Kennedy St NW
Washington, DC 20011
202-291-3340
41 ratings 40% $115

171. Cyprus Air
7525 Richmond Hwy
Alexandria, VA 22306
703-360-1555
95 ratings 40% $118

172. F W Harris Plumbing
8382-C Terminal Rd
Lorton, VA 22079
703-339-4660
43 ratings 40% $133

173. A-Plus Air Conditioning & Heating
PO Box 5430
Springfield, VA 22150
703-941-71
49 ratings 33% $105

174. Mount Vernon Heating & Air Conditioning
14210 Sullyfield Cir #D
Chantilly, VA 20151
703-378-3636
24 ratings 29% $119

175. Southern Air-Temp Heating & Cooling
514 Jack Enders Blvd
Berryville, VA 22611
703-777-1992

Posted by: watch out ()
Date: June 19, 2011 05:08PM

Check em Out Wrote:
> THE TOP TEN FROM WASHINGTON CONSUMER CHECK BOOK
> MAGAZINE:
>
>
> 1. L L Jordan Heating & Air Conditioning
> 9710 Glenway Ct
> Burke, VA 22015
> 703-644-510
> 30 ratings 100% $91
>
> 2. Air Comfort Specialist
> Round Hill, VA 20141
> 540-338-0308
> 14 ratings 100% $90
>
> 3. A/C Doc
> 11014 Sunset Hills Rd
> Reston, VA 20190
> 703-406-9446
> Arlington Co.
> ** 10 ratings 100% No data***
>
> 4. David C Morgan Air Conditioning & Heating
> 6905 Essex Ave
> Springfield, VA 22150
> 703-866-9742
> ** 11 ratings 100% No data***
>
> 5. Hart's Heating & Cooling Service
> 15202 Bannon Hill Ct
> Chantilly, VA 20151
> 703-378-2070
> No data - ** 13 ratings 100% No data***
>
> 6. JBB Heating A/C
> Manassas, VA 20111
> 703-360-2242
>
> 7. Marwah Heating & Air Conditioning
> 2832 Raymond Ct
> Falls Church, VA 22042
> 703-532-0956
>
> 8. T B Lucas Mechanical
> 2965 PS Business Center Dr
> Woodbridge, VA 22192
> 703-580-88
> ** 12 ratings 100% No data***
>
> 9. Twintech
> PO Box 111
> McLean, VA 22101
> 703-534-8946
> No data - ** 11 ratings 100% No data***
>
> 10. Virginia Air Heating & Cooling
> PO Box 591
> Gainesville, VA 20156
> 703-669-0600
>
> I USE M.R. STRIDE, ALSO RECOMMENDED BY CHECKBOOK
> MAGAZINE. THIS IS A FAMILY BUSINESS THAT ALSO
> GETS HIGH MARKS FOR LOW PRICE:
>
> M R Stride Plumbing Heating & Air Conditioning
> 445 Nelson Dr
> Vienna, VA 22180
> 703-893-5161
> 33 ratings 88%
>
> THE BOTTOM TEN:
>
> 165. A-Plus Air Conditioning & Heating
> PO Box 247
> Bryans Road, MD 20616
> 301-283-3293
> Arlington Co.
> 45 ratings 53% $99
>
> 166. Harvey W Hottel
> 18900 Woodfield Rd
> Gaithersburg, MD 20879
> 301-921-9599
> 160 ratings 51% $131
>
> 167. Magnolia Plumbing
> 600 Gallatin St NE
> Washington, DC 20017
> 202-829-8510
> 26 ratings 50% $110
>
> 168. Jiffy Plumbing & Heating
> 4623 Baltimore Ave
> Hyattsville, MD 20781
> 301-277-9111
> 20 ratings 50% $94*
>
> 169. Sears
> All locations combined
>
> 800-473-7247
>
> ** 168 ratings 49% No data
>
> 170. John C Flood of DC
> 711 Kennedy St NW
> Washington, DC 20011
> 202-291-3340
> 41 ratings 40% $115
>
> 171. Cyprus Air
> 7525 Richmond Hwy
> Alexandria, VA 22306
> 703-360-1555
> 95 ratings 40% $118
>
> 172. F W Harris Plumbing
> 8382-C Terminal Rd
> Lorton, VA 22079
> 703-339-4660
> 43 ratings 40% $133
>
> 173. A-Plus Air Conditioning & Heating
> PO Box 5430
> Springfield, VA 22150
> 703-941-71
> 49 ratings 33% $105
>
> 174. Mount Vernon Heating & Air Conditioning
> 14210 Sullyfield Cir #D
> Chantilly, VA 20151
> 703-378-3636
> 24 ratings 29% $119
>
> 175. Southern Air-Temp Heating & Cooling
> 514 Jack Enders Blvd
> Berryville, VA 22611
> 703-777-1992

copyright infringement. Checkbook does not take kindly to this. You should delete this post.

Posted by: good info ()
Date: July 04, 2012 03:26PM

wally pip Wrote:
> I still remember how the assholes at Jones Rogers
> conned my elderly father into getting a new a/c
> system when the old one was just 3 years old!
> Shameless Effers!

Thanks! Im gonna cancel my appointment with them.

Posted by: CyprusAirh8r ()
Date: July 04, 2012 04:26PM

Yeah Cyprus Air sucks big time. Used to work for those greedy greeks. had so much fun with the company i faked detention and had my girlfriend get my last check.

Most of the work i did was absolutely useless duct cleaning ( dosen't clean nothing) and spraying coils of outdoor units (another equally useless task unless your machine is very dirty).

they are ripoff kings. most of the work i helped with was 90% install 10% fix. they like they're quick money and service contracts which is mostly coil cleaning with a 15 point inspection for 100's a year.

Posted by: Fu ()
Date: July 04, 2012 05:14PM

watch out Wrote:
> Check em Out Wrote:
> -----
> > THE TOP TEN FROM WASHINGTON CONSUMER CHECK BOOK
> > MAGAZINE:
> >
> >
> > 1. L L Jordan Heating & Air Conditioning
> > 9710 Glenway Ct
> > Burke, VA 22015
> > 703-644-510
> > 30 ratings 100% $91
> >
> > 2. Air Comfort Specialist
> > Round Hill, VA 20141
> > 540-338-0308
> > 14 ratings 100% $90
> >
> > 3. A/C Doc
> > 11014 Sunset Hills Rd
> > Reston, VA 20190
> > 703-406-9446
> > Arlington Co.
> > ** 10 ratings 100% No data***
> >
> > 4. David C Morgan Air Conditioning & Heating
> > 6905 Essex Ave
> > Springfield, VA 22150
> > 703-866-9742
> > ** 11 ratings 100% No data***
> >
> > 5. Hart's Heating & Cooling Service
> > 15202 Bannon Hill Ct
> > Chantilly, VA 20151
> > 703-378-2070
> > No data - ** 13 ratings 100% No data***
> >
> > 6. JBB Heating A/C
> > Manassas, VA 20111
> > 703-360-2242
> >
> > 7. Marwah Heating & Air Conditioning
> > 2832 Raymond Ct
> > Falls Church, VA 22042
> > 703-532-0956
> >
> > 8. T B Lucas Mechanical
> > 2965 PS Business Center Dr
> > Woodbridge, VA 22192
> > 703-580-88
> > ** 12 ratings 100% No data***
> >
> > 9. Twintech
> > PO Box 111
> > McLean, VA 22101
> > 703-534-8946
> > No data - ** 11 ratings 100% No data***
> >
> > 10. Virginia Air Heating & Cooling
> > PO Box 591
> > Gainesville, VA 20156
> > 703-669-0600
> >
> > I USE M.R. STRIDE, ALSO RECOMMENDED BY
> CHECKBOOK
> > MAGAZINE. THIS IS A FAMILY BUSINESS THAT ALSO
> > GETS HIGH MARKS FOR LOW PRICE:
> >
> > M R Stride Plumbing Heating & Air Conditioning
> > 445 Nelson Dr
> > Vienna, VA 22180
> > 703-893-5161
> > 33 ratings 88%
> >
> > THE BOTTOM TEN:
> >
> > 165. A-Plus Air Conditioning & Heating
> > PO Box 247
> > Bryans Road, MD 20616
> > 301-283-3293
> > Arlington Co.
> > 45 ratings 53% $99
> >
> > 166. Harvey W Hottel
> > 18900 Woodfield Rd
> > Gaithersburg, MD 20879
> > 301-921-9599
> > 160 ratings 51% $131
> >
> > 167. Magnolia Plumbing
> > 600 Gallatin St NE
> > Washington, DC 20017
> > 202-829-8510
> > 26 ratings 50% $110
> >
> > 168. Jiffy Plumbing & Heating
> > 4623 Baltimore Ave
> > Hyattsville, MD 20781
> > 301-277-9111
> > 20 ratings 50% $94*
> >
> > 169. Sears
> > All locations combined
> >
> > 800-473-7247
> >
> > ** 168 ratings 49% No data
> >
> > 170. John C Flood of DC
> > 711 Kennedy St NW
> > Washington, DC 20011
> > 202-291-3340
> > 41 ratings 40% $115
> >
> > 171. Cyprus Air
> > 7525 Richmond Hwy
> > Alexandria, VA 22306
> > 703-360-1555
> > 95 ratings 40% $118
> >
> > 172. F W Harris Plumbing
> > 8382-C Terminal Rd
> > Lorton, VA 22079
> > 703-339-4660
> > 43 ratings 40% $133
> >
> > 173. A-Plus Air Conditioning & Heating
> > PO Box 5430
> > Springfield, VA 22150
> > 703-941-71
> > 49 ratings 33% $105
> >
> > 174. Mount Vernon Heating & Air Conditioning
> > 14210 Sullyfield Cir #D
> > Chantilly, VA 20151
> > 703-378-3636
> > 24 ratings 29% $119
> >
> > 175. Southern Air-Temp Heating & Cooling
> > 514 Jack Enders Blvd
> > Berryville, VA 22611
> > 703-777-1992
>
>
> copyright infringement. Checkbook does not take
> kindly to this. You should delete this post.

Agreed, you should delete your post too.

Posted by: hoser ()
Date: July 04, 2012 07:30PM

Two years ago my A\C failed to produce cold air. Called for service and was told that both the outside and inside units were leaking freon.

Asked the tech to fill 'er up and I'd see how long it would last.

Still on the same system two years later.

I'll replace it when it goes, but only if it won't hold it's gas for a lot shorter that two years.

Posted by: nicencool ()
Date: July 06, 2012 05:09PM

Came home to an 85 degree house last week. Fan was running but the outside unit was dead. Pulled the fuse, took off the cover to the A/C unit and wrote down the model # of the start capacitor and the 35/+5 370 number off the run capacitor and ran up to Graingers, paid 50 bucks and put them in in 5 minutes. Fired that effer right up and I can't change a light bulb.

BTW, I'm still waiting for Cropp-Metcalf to even call me back.

Posted by: nicencool2 ()
Date: July 06, 2012 06:13PM

That last post was hilarious "fired that effer up..." LOL. Actually you have motivated me to go to Graingers and buy a spare capacitor just in case. I have ateh same York A/C unit that came with the house 10 years ago. Most of the neighbors have replaced their units already so I sense that I am on borrowed time. I hope it will make it through the summer. I have a feeling this is going to be like the summer from 2004.

Oh and for the guys stating this...

"copyright infringement. Checkbook does not take kindly to this. You should delete this post."

Give me an effin break. If you are afraid of people sharing knowledge and experience on here get the hell out of here. I think this is great that we can avoid companies that have a practice of screwing homeowners. I hope they go out of business as quickly as possible.

One more recommendation we can add to the list - Woody's Sudden Service. Great great great company. Honest & professional.

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: July 06, 2012 07:20PM

nicencool2 Wrote:
> That last post was hilarious "fired that effer
> up..." LOL. Actually you have motivated me to go
> to Graingers and buy a spare capacitor just in
> case. I have ateh same York A/C unit that came
> with the house 10 years ago. Most of the neighbors
> have replaced their units already so I sense that
> I am on borrowed time. I hope it will make it
> through the summer. I have a feeling this is going
> to be like the summer from 2004.

York! LOL. That's the one I had and it died 3 years ago. 9 summers after buying the house. Managed to eek 10 years out of that piece of shit. I have 3 neighbors who are still on their original, builder provided, York units. Lord only knows how.

Posted by: Ten Toes in the Grave ()
Date: July 06, 2012 07:31PM

I agree with the negative comments regarding Cropp-Metcalf and Magnolia. We've dealt with Cropp for a number of years, always with a suspicion that they're trying to sell us to much or replace things that don't need replacing. Last time we needed some work done (the "spring tuneup") we called out another company that'd done some work for us on a rental property. They confirmed what we suspected. As for Magnolia, we tried to use them to pump out our septic tank. First time, they didn't show at all. Second time, they couldn't find the tank and kept shoving their hoses down other pipes and openings. It'd have been funny if it weren't so sad.

Posted by: ChuckSteake ()
Date: July 06, 2012 08:43PM

I HIGHLY recommend using Affirmative Services. Not only have they assisted me several times with MY unit, but friends' and families' as well. Best part is, they are extremely accommodating in the area of pricing and are family own and operated.

http://affirmativeservices.com/
703-717-6565

Ask for Jason Slack (owner)

Posted by: rtg ()
Date: July 07, 2012 07:16AM

We just had a good experience with Tom Muse Service. The tech got our 30 year old (yes, 30 years!) running again.

Posted by: A/C guy ()
Date: July 07, 2012 07:57AM

Jermaine Wrote:
> Don't use Cropp-Metcaffe.. They just RIPPED off
> my cousins dad for 735.00 they replaced control
> board & cleaned the Ignitor in a gas furnace.
> Control board is 98.00 part, they charged 550.00
> for the new universal(economy) part, they have
> labor rate of 115.00 for first hour plus $35.00
> each 15 minutes additional time. (Tech gets paid
> 16.00 and hour Cropp charges 140 and hour. How do
> you spell RIPOFF?) They prey on older people and
> ask them to buy service contracts of 2 levels
> starting at 300 per year to 500 per year to
> maintain their furnace/ac. "Pure profit" to the
> A/C companies as they claim in their article to
> Contractor Magazine. They claim they were selling
> these contracts long before Sears did it.

140 per hour is cheap. 170 per hour is the norm. Good hvac techs make over 100k per year.
Just remember that 170 per hour covers the tech, the truck,the office staff,the insurance, and a hundred other overhead expenses. In home service is a very high overhead business.

Posted by: meagain ()
Date: July 07, 2012 04:14PM

OK, so I went out to just check my capacitor. Its smaller than I pictured. This thing has to be the original one! Its completely covered in rust. i cant even pull any model #/specs off it. So I wrote down the model number of my York A/C/ unit and I will go to Grainger on Monday. of course, nothing is open on Saturdays in Northern Virginia

Posted by: contractor21 ()
Date: July 07, 2012 04:25PM

>
> "Oh and for the guys stating this...
>
> "copyright infringement. Checkbook does not take
> kindly to this. You should delete this post."
>
> Give me an effin break. If you are afraid of
> people sharing knowledge and experience on here
> get the hell out of here. I think this is great
> that we can avoid companies that have a practice
> of screwing homeowners. I hope they go out of
> business as quickly as possible."

The person who posted the copyrighted information has done a disservice to us all. Checkbook has to make money in order to compile this information. People who are stupid enough to post the data for others to read for free are engaged in illegal activity. Checkbook is a non-profit but they do have bills to pay. If this happens enough then Checkbook could go under and the consumer would suffer. As you know we are all consumers.

Posted by: Carl L ()
Date: April 12, 2013 08:01PM

We charge that per pound if it includes time and labour putting it in,, but the coil cleaning was where you got totally ripped of,,,We charge 119 to do a full maintenance which includes condenser coil cleaning, a filter (common 1 inch) and a condensation drain line cleaning and evaportor coil when possible and if needed, blower squirrle fan blades if more than a light layer of dust, oil the motor if its not sealed bearings, and outdoor fan motor 2 if it has them(Trane and Heil use lots of motors with oil ports). Ive been doing it. for Comfort Systems USA for 6.5 years and usualy takes 2-3 hours, heck we even change thermostat batteries if needed. We have customers going back 36 years because of it and they come to us with all thier needs and everyones happy

Posted by: Joe Smith ()
Date: April 12, 2013 08:04PM

jjoe Wrote:
> Did I get screwed? I just had a guy out to fix my
> a/c. He charged $85 a pound for refrigerant and
> said I needed 6 pounds. He also charged $320 to
> clean my coil. My total bill was over $700.00.
> Seems pretty steep to me. Doing some online
> research, most places charge around $20-$45 for a
> pound of refrigerant. Cleaning the coil doesn't
> seem that involved either from reading the step by
> step do it yourself websites.
>
> If I wasn't screwed and you think I got a fair
> deal, I'll share the name of the contractor with
> you. He did get my a/c running again and was nice
> enough. Also, how long should such a job take?

Yep you got screwed. Filling the Freon and cleaning the coil should be half that cost.

Posted by: Screwjob? ()
Date: April 12, 2013 08:34PM

The HVAC industry is the next mafia.

Most HVAC supply stores won't even quote you the price for a part and refuse to sell you a part unless you are a HVAC contractor.

It's the biggest scam market. They also refuse to itemize a quote. They always give lump sum quotes.

The mark-up is unreal. No other industry could survive with such behavior. They don't want competition.

It's hard to find a guy who will break ranks from these crooks. And, yes they are crooks.

Posted by: smith and then some ()
Date: April 12, 2013 09:09PM

Joe Smith Wrote:
> jjoe Wrote:
> -----
> > Did I get screwed? I just had a guy out to fix
> my
> > a/c. He charged $85 a pound for refrigerant
> and
> > said I needed 6 pounds. He also charged $320
> to
> > clean my coil. My total bill was over $700.00.
>
> > Seems pretty steep to me. Doing some online
> > research, most places charge around $20-$45 for
> a
> > pound of refrigerant. Cleaning the coil
> doesn't
> > seem that involved either from reading the step
> by
> > step do it yourself websites.
> >
> > If I wasn't screwed and you think I got a fair
> > deal, I'll share the name of the contractor
> with
> > you. He did get my a/c running again and was
> nice
> > enough. Also, how long should such a job take?
>
> Yep you got screwed. Filling the Freon and
> cleaning the coil should be half that cost.

Joe, you are trying to respond to a post that is nearly three years old. Are you retarded or what?

Posted by: HVAC 4u2 ()
Date: April 13, 2013 11:30AM

HVAC services are in such high demand in this area. I worked for one of the big outfits in this area for years. The phones would ring like crazy 10 months out of the year. I used to laugh when people would threaten to take their business elsewhere if they were not happy with the service or the price. The company would beg us to work overtime constantly. I could easily make over a thousand bucks cash doing a change-out on a saturday side job and would much rather do that than work for the 35 bucks an hour the company was paying.
Most of these big HVAC outfits are doing business illegally as the majority of their technicians are not state licensed but no one seems to care about enforcing the law. As long as they have one licensed master technician to pull permits then they are good.

Posted by: county resident2 ()
Date: May 29, 2013 09:30AM

I just paid 700 bucks for 3 pounds of freon and a service call. I think I got screwed.

Posted by: Paxriver ()
Date: May 29, 2013 10:29PM

hard start Wrote:
> Troll@AOL Wrote:
> -----
> > That's why I have window airconditioners +
> central
> > air. This saves money also.
> >
> > And I HIGHLY DON'T RECOMEND ANYONE TRY AND
> CHANGE
> > THE HIGH VOLTAGE CAPACITOR ON THEIR HEAT PUMP
> OR
> > AC COMPRESSOR. I'M NOT A PROFESSIONAL A/C TECH
> > BUT I GUARANTEE YOU IF YOU FUCK UP, IT COULD BE
> > THE LAST TIME YOU DO.
> >
> > Capacitors are nothing to play around with and
> in
> > my opinion REPLACEMENT SHOULD BE LEFT TO A
> > PROFESSIONAL!!!
>
>
> Dude, Run capacitors that are commonly found on
> residential heat pumps and a/c's arent gonna kill
> anyone. We charge these things up all the time and
> shock the shit out of people with them for fun.
> Anything under 100 mfd @440v aint gonna do crap.
> Most of these capacitors are under 60 mfd.
> Just make sure the power is shut off to the indoor
> and outdoor units and if youre a big puzzy abuot
> it you can discharge the capacitor through a
> common voltmeter.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Posted by: hvac man ()
Date: May 30, 2013 02:05PM

county resident2 Wrote:
> I just paid 700 bucks for 3 pounds of freon and a
> service call. I think I got screwed.

Does your A-C work now? Get over it. If you are talking about r-22 refrigerant you got off cheap. I am sick of cry baby homeowners complaining about money. Just give us your money and STFU.

Posted by: Mr. Smith ()
Date: May 31, 2013 08:25AM

I have been dealing with this company for about 20 years..very honest..Blue Ridge Heating and Air Conditioning. Prior to finding them, I had a company recommend a major repair. BRHAC came in as a second opinion and replaced a $30 part...been with them ever since
Blue Ridge Heating and Air Conditioning
www.blueridge-ac.com

Posted by: harry homeowner ()
Date: April 11, 2014 05:29PM

My A/C has a leak and I was quoted $2100 to repair it or 6000+ to replace. Am I getting ripped off? This is a 2 ton split system in a townhouse.

Posted by: was sweating ()
Date: June 18, 2014 08:09AM

I had some kid from a big AC company come out last night and replace my condensate pump for 874 bucks. Does that sound high to anyone??
My A/C was broke and I paid it out of desperation but it sure is nice and cool in here now.

Posted by: Noyoudint ()
Date: June 18, 2014 09:11AM

I had United Air Temp performing maintenance on our Heat/ A/C Unit.

They suggested a product to put more humidity in the house during the winter.

IT NEVER WORKED. NEVER!

I asked them "whats up"?

They said the add on apparently wasn't appropriate, and offered me a better, more expensive add on. I said no thanks, but could they refund me or at least come back in and rip out the add on.

That was a no go good buddy.

It's funny, I haven't seen them since.

Fuck United Air Temp.

Posted by: Truther ()
Date: June 18, 2014 09:27AM

I worked as a HVAC guy for a couple of years.

In general the answer is yes. The larger companies will immediately try to up sell you to buy a new unit. But, the smaller guys do the same thing.

Also most units don't need Spring and Fall "checkups." If you unit is operating correctly then it should be fine.

Just remember to CHANGE THE FURNACE FILTER EVERY SIX MONTH or more if it's really dirty after six months. Filters are cheap from home Depot you'll need the size off the old one.

Posted by: Jarome Iginla ()
Date: April 27, 2015 01:17AM

My Air Conditioner stopped running so I called the AC Repair guy. He came and gave me 3 quotes (after discount)
(1)replace furnace only $3153
(2)replace furnace and evaporator coil $4014
(3)replace furnace,evaporator coil,condenser(includes slab,breaker and starter kit) $7648. i choosed #2 and 2.Ten days later,I found out it was not cold so I called him again,a man came and added freon and said compressor is overheating,recommend upgrading condenser ,or add hard start kit and performance testing kit.
Today I called again and complained not cold enough,a senior technician came and recommended a new condenser Amana 3 ton ,breaker,cement slab,evaporator coil filter,hard start kit,valve expansion for 5424 after discount.

Posted by: fan of the A/C ()
Date: April 27, 2015 04:53AM

Jarome Iginla Wrote:
> My
>
> Air Conditioner
stopped running so I called
> the AC Repair guy. He came and gave me 3 quotes
> (after discount)
> (1)replace furnace only $3153
> (2)replace furnace and evaporator coil $4014
> (3)replace furnace,evaporator
> coil,condenser(includes slab,breaker and starter
> kit) $7648. i choosed #2 and 2.Ten days later,I
> found out it was not cold so I called him again,a
> man came and added freon and said compressor is
> overheating,recommend upgrading condenser ,or add
> hard start kit and performance testing kit.
> Today I called again and complained not cold
> enough,a senior technician came and recommended a
> new condenser Amana 3 ton ,breaker,cement
> slab,evaporator coil filter,hard start kit,valve
> expansion for 5424 after discount.

Sounds like you are getting screwed pretty hard. Call MR Stride they will not screw you.

https://www.facebook.com/MRSTRIDEINC

Posted by: assmunch ()
Date: April 27, 2015 02:48PM

Most A/C companies are screw jobs.

Posted by: jhonsonsmith ()
Date: May 05, 2015 03:53AM

My problem right now is that my Air Conditioner unit sometimes starts making the noise like its running fluids and getting ready to kick on, but it never does and it keeps making the running fluid noise indefinitely until I realize it and turn it off. I can hear the outside unit come on (which I'm guessing is what starts the sound of fluids/freon moving) but the inside never comes on. The suction line freezes up and the other line gets cold. So I wait a long time and try again (after thawing) and it'll work. Usually this happens in the afternoon at the warmest time.
What is the problem?

Posted by: tyuiik ()
Date: May 05, 2015 05:47AM

You have a freon leak.

Posted by: n64FH ()
Date: May 05, 2015 04:55PM

you don't don't know almost screwed

you grew up in a day when there were phillips screw drivers from china

Posted by: yKcWD ()
Date: May 08, 2015 10:10AM

R-13 causes ozone depletion sure but the SCARY THING IS.

if global temperature rises by just a few degrees - that same depletion reactino becomes a RUNAWAY CHAIN REACTION - mean it never stops until (most all) of the ozone is destroy. the reaction formula is well know and lab tested. such "chain reactions" are quite common in chemistry in general.

the simple fact is humans are simply lucky it didn't already happen

if it did: there would be changes that would certainly impact life on earch quite a bit

(other refrigerants are bad for atmosphere but do not causes a run-away chain reaction)

--------------------------
your friendly fuckers servicing R-13 or what else, getting you a discount by fucking over all the R laws

fuck you

Posted by: XMKkx ()
Date: May 08, 2015 10:13AM

it's well know allot of cheap ass shops or shop managers - or repair poeple - ie here in fairfax - discharge refigerant instead of collecting it - and use incorrect (cp, cheaper, cheating) collection methods when they do collect it

Posted by: jim law ()
Date: June 06, 2015 06:59AM

Does anyone know if ARS is a screwjob company?

Posted by: ummmm ()
Date: June 06, 2015 07:08AM

jim law Wrote:
> Does anyone know if ARS is a screwjob company?

Any company that advertises on the local radio/TV stations is going to be far more expensive. Go for an independent/small business.

Posted by: Just got screwed ()
Date: June 29, 2015 04:14PM

Just paid $976 for a run capacitor and indoor-outdoor coil cleanings on a 2.5 ton heat pump. The guy was here less than 90 minutes. I think I got screwed but it is nice and cool in here.

Posted by: I am Aware ()
Date: June 29, 2015 04:55PM

Don't get me started on the criminals out there wanting a piece of your house.

Listen people, if you have major repairs, ask friends (or ask your friends to ask their parents) for referrals.

I would be very wary ordering someone off the internet, or the Yellow Pages, given my own personal experience, and that of my friends, and clients. I am a Fairfax lawyer who has been practicing here for over 20 years.

Posted by: MucG6 ()
Date: June 29, 2015 08:23PM

> I had two big local A/C companies come out to look at my downstairs heat pump that was acting up. They both told me it was shot and was no good because it still used freon.

DUH. they're fucking foreigners they'll replace yours and put the "old one" in their home. and they'll fuck up the install so the new one will have issues.

DiY. Don't say I didn't tell you.

Posted by: ...... ()
Date: June 30, 2015 03:13PM

Any good references for 2015?
30yo unit that came w the house went out...gonna replace it.

Anybody want to share a co they use and are happy with? I would greatly appreciate it....thanks

Posted by: AC Troubling ()
Date: July 03, 2017 08:47AM

Just called HVAC Unlimited Inc., Springfield, VA 703-455-6000

R-22 , first pound $250, than $150 + $95 for showing up at home what a rip-off

Posted by: maintenance man ()
Date: July 03, 2017 09:23AM

AC Troubling Wrote:
> Just called HVAC Unlimited Inc., Springfield, VA
> 703-455-6000
>
> R-22 , first pound $250, than $150 + $95 for
> showing up at home what a rip-off

Actually that sounds a little bit cheap. Did they offer to remove the R-22 and replace it with a drop-in? That would be the better route to go. As far as the price of the freon just thank the EPA for that.

Posted by: do it yourself. ()
Date: July 03, 2017 10:54AM

Lol at all the HVAC scammers trying to scare people away from changing a capacitor. Obviously you discharge it before messing with it, any youtube video will clearly go over all this.

Cleaning the coils can be done by a blind person, buy a well reviewed cleaner and a special soft brush to clean the coils and you're golden. If your coils are all bent you can buy radiator fin combs for 10 bucks to straighten them out. Look at youtube if necessary, though this one is pretty self explanatory.

As for the freon, you can buy the gauges on ebay for $25 and you can buy a lifetime supply of R-410A for $200. Also lots of youtube videos to show how its done. It's super easy to do, just look at the trashy contractors who do it for a living.

Posted by: Customer X ()
Date: July 03, 2017 02:12PM

do it yourself. Wrote:
> Lol at all the HVAC scammers trying to scare
> people away from changing a capacitor. Obviously
> you discharge it before messing with it, any
> youtube video will clearly go over all this.
>
> Cleaning the coils can be done by a blind person,
> buy a well reviewed cleaner and a special soft
> brush to clean the coils and you're golden. If
> your coils are all bent you can buy radiator fin
> combs for 10 bucks to straighten them out. Look
> at youtube if necessary, though this one is pretty
> self explanatory.
>
> As for the freon, you can buy the gauges on ebay
> for $25 and you can buy a lifetime supply of
> R-410A for $200. Also lots of youtube videos to
> show how its done. It's super easy to do, just
> look at the trashy contractors who do it for a
> living.

I just repainted my 40 year old AC Compressor and now it looks brand new.
Oh, and I oiled it with 4 drops of expensive oil.

Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.