HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
MYSTERIOUS "HAUNTED" HOUSE by the abandoned lorton penitentiary.
Posted by: laura discord ()
Date: June 05, 2007 10:39PM

this is quite a long post, i realize, but i bet it's worth you reading.

a couple months ago, i was looking for a way to fill my friday night. it was after 1:30 and everyone my age (i'm sixteen) had pretty much turned in.

i have a real love for the obscure.

sure, there's bunnyman bridge, but that just seemed too trite. and then i remembered occaquan, a sleepy little ghost town just this side of I-95. i live in reston. the destination was set. miles and i set out down fairco, got onto ox road, and chased it down to the occaquan exit. occaquan has this great rickety wooden bridge across a big river, and everything closes by 9pm. the place was deserted. miles and i enjoyed some time being the only living souls for ten miles, and after substantially freaking ourselves out with talk of axe-murderers and the like, we decided we'd had our fun.

it was on our journey home that we noticed the real treasure: the closed lorton penitentiary. we'd heard of it but never realized it actually existed, you know? and we wanted it! now, we aren't stupid. we knew we weren't gonna be able to get inside. but we wanted to case the grounds, stalk the perimeter, whatever we could get. we got more than we bargained for.

we turned down a little street that looked like it would take us closer, which i believe may have been HOOES ROAD (no joke.) we cruised around for awhile, and then we saw it: this charming, tiny little road snaking through the woods; a sharp jerk to the left and we were on it. we sailed pat a sign that said "road closed -- federal property." we hedged our bets that no one would care.

all of a sudden, the road in front of us is blocked. though it continues as far as we can see, when it hits a cross-road (furnace road) the next stretch is blocked by a big, intimidating red gate. "federal property -- no trespassing" signs cover the area. we are staring at this house, terrified, because there is just something WRONG with it. it is inside a fence, wrapped in barbed wire, and ominous. it is situated up on a small hill, set on a pretty good-sized lawn. i then realize one thing that's terribly strange:

there is a big, industrial streetlight, like the kind you see on highways, in the front lawn of this house. facing the front door. and it is off.

miles and i get out of his car. we get closer to the house, dipping under the first of the trespassing warnings. we hear the house literally groaning and shaking faintly. we would get closer, but we are way too freaked out by the idea of getting caught trespassing.

we end up driving around up and down furnace road for a little bit, and we find something else very queer. fifty or sixty feet down the road, there is a circle of these strange streetlights, each marked with trespassing signs. inside the circle, there is a cracked and broken sidewalk. there are smaller bits coming off the larger bits of the pavement under our feet. we realize in horror that this was a neighborhood. that's what the sidewalk was shaped like. we walk around, daring not traverse the thin line between flirting with and actually venturing into the forbidden woods.

several other peculiarities:
- i checked out the cached google satelite picture of this area, and none of the fences or signs blocking these places off appear in the pictures. these became federal property within the last year. also, several structures appear which are definitely no longer there.
- the road which connected us to furnace road the first time has two other abandoned, federal property houses. we got out and walked around outside them; there are cups and saucers and silverwear littered outside them. they are recently built but totally dilapidated. they are somewhat furnished on the inside -- we shone our flashlights in and caught FIVE OR SIX mirrors in each one. weird, huh?
- there is no mention of this property on the internet. it is not included in the map of the penitentiary grounds.
- on that weird little road we take to get to the house, there is is ALWAYS at least one animal carcass in the road, usually a deer, its body split open like it's been hit. yet there is no shattered glass, no indication that it collided with a car ... what else could possibly do that to an animal? very strange and very disturbing. the rotting corpses stay until the maggots devour them all; no crews clean them up. bones adorn the roadside endlessly.

miles and i have returned to this area fairly religiously, enamoured with our own mystery. strangest thing is, no one we've talked to who lives around there has ANY idea whats going on.

do any of you have anything even remotely related?

pictures:
(i suppose html img tags don't work in these forums ... lame)

google satelite image of the house - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/smilebinge/thehouse.jpg
google satelite image of the other two houses - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/smilebinge/twomorehouses.jpg
picture i took of the house - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/smilebinge/thathouse.jpg
and the streetlight - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/smilebinge/thecircle.jpg
and the gate - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/smilebinge/noway.jpg
and a close up of the house - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/smilebinge/fuckinghaunted.jpg

thanks for any help you can provide.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MYSTERIOUS "HAUNTED" HOUSE by the abandoned lorton penitentiary.
Posted by: The Congressman ()
Date: June 06, 2007 12:32AM

The only accident I've ever been in was on Furnace waiting to turn on to Hooes at the old minimum security annex. How spooky is that?! I've driven around there plenty, just this past Saturday afternoon, but not normally on that side. It looks like the signs just say Government Property, I don't see Federal in any of your pics. U.S. No Trespassing signs tend to look like this:

You can just attach photos to your post, no need for tags, though the img src one works.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2007 06:06PM by The Congressman.
Attachments:
istockphoto_2388968_no_trespassing_sign_us_government_property.jpg

Posted by: Ransack ()
Date: June 06, 2007 04:42AM

No surprise, but the whole Lorton Prison area is getting a major facelift. Condos/New Schools/homes the works. The Prison itself is being converted into a Torpedo Factory like place with other amenities looking like Wolf Trap. See LortonArts.org for more details.

Posted by: Schrute ()
Date: June 06, 2007 08:39AM

Lorton Prison closed in November of 2001. Because Fairfax County had given the Feds the property when it opened in 1909, shortly after its closure, the Federal Government gave the land back to Fairfax County. If you look closely at the "No Trespassing" signs you will see the Fairfax County seal and they should read "Fairfax County Government Property". Either way, Fairfax County sold the majority of the land to developers thus the birth of Laurel Hill.

The houses and prison structures that are still standing can not be torn down due to their "historical value" (believe it or not). If I recall correctly, the long road that you wrote of, that was gated off, will lead up to the rear parking area (old employee parking lot) of the Maximum Security complex which is now a Fairfax County Park. Yes, the kiddies get to have their little league games in one of the most infamous prison yards in Federal Prison history. That road is off of Lorton Road.

I can't really think of what the circle of lights are, however, the old women's complex located at the intersection of Furnace Road and Hooes Road is home to one of the old Nike missile sites. http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dpz/laurelhill/history.htm There is a historical marker for the Nike missile site on the southbound side of Furnace Road, between Lorton Road and Hooes Road. If this is closer to the house that you are talking about than you are referring to the old Warden's mansion. The dirt road that extends beyond that mansion goes up to the old youth center one complex and landfill area. It is used by security vehicles when they patrol the property.

Posted by: bdimag ()
Date: June 07, 2007 03:29PM

I cant look at photobucket from work.. but..

I know the area..

Since it was a DC correctional facility - those roads are DC property (although - i got stopped by a cop (gaurd?) and his car had maryland tags - i worked my way outta that.. didnt have a liscense either)

if you look at the map (use hybrid), starting from ox road, and where Lorton rd splits (into a yellow Lorton Rd, and a grey Lorton Rd), my friend lives in the the house that has a small shed and a barn behind it (right before the split).. I was there just the other day (and go all the time).. but anyways, on that grey Lorton rd.. the house on the left is abandonded and beat-up like hell.. and then when that "lorton rd" hits furnace rd, theres the house that has the chainlink fence around it (theres no barbed wire from what I remember - but I'll look more carefully next time) - that house is freaky.. its so beat, and is fenced very close to the house (by DC i'm sure)..

I'm lookin at the map, and im trying to explore that place now.. looks like the road continues on, but ends at another neighborhood i'm familiar with.. never knew..

I'm assuming those were houses that were owned by DC and used for wardens and such..

If your talking about a deer on that grey "lorton rd"... that was my friend :)

just cause you hit a dear doesnt mean any windows are going to get shattered - his quarter panel is all sorts of dented though..

and technically VA animal control cant do anything about it.. its a DC road and nobody is allowed to use it...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2007 03:32PM by bdimag.

Posted by: MBF ()
Date: June 07, 2007 03:39PM

The roads are not dc roads; nothing on that property is owned by DC anymore.

Posted by: MBF ()
Date: June 07, 2007 03:45PM

Link to the county website showing that the property was turned over to the county from DC: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/cable/channel16/laurel_hill.htm

Date: June 07, 2007 04:24PM

o.. well.. nevermind

i change my statement to:

if nobody is technically allowed on the road - how do people know to call it in to animal control :)

this specific section is all by itself, and is between (links) 2 public roads.. I've seen a gaurd there that 1 time.. never before, never again..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2007 04:25PM by bdimag.

Posted by: LOcal Gamer ()
Date: June 07, 2007 06:39PM

I like your selection of words. Bravo

Posted by: Price ()
Date: June 08, 2007 11:23AM

Wow, I live in Lorton and drive by this area almost daily, but never knew about the NIKE site.

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: June 08, 2007 07:54PM

According to the property records, that parcel of land in the right most part of this picture http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/smilebinge/twomorehouses.jpg is owned by "BOARD OF SUPERVISORS, FAIRFAX COUNTY". Interestingly they don't list any structures being on the land. The left one appears to be privately owned. I can't find "the house" on the map though...it looks like that was all prison property at one point.

Posted by: lynn8 ()
Date: June 09, 2007 12:27AM

This house was owned by the Lindsay family many years ago. It's actually over 200 years old and there is a grave yard somewhere close to the house. It was called the Laurel Hill Plantation. I agree it is very creepy. I would love to see the inside though.

Posted by: Neighbor ()
Date: June 09, 2007 06:52AM

I live in the neighborhood with the tall Charleston-style homes; I know the area well. The circle of lights is where the buildings (trailers, if I recall) for the shooting range were located. The patch of land adjacent to it and leading towards the Hooes/Furnace intersection is slated to be a cemetery for the homeless.

Posted by: Virginia P ()
Date: June 25, 2007 11:08PM

i was just watching the Channel 4 news and a body has been found at an abandonded house on or off Furnace road on the lorton property. I wonder if this is the same house?

Date: June 25, 2007 11:32PM

Date: June 25, 2007 11:35PM

This story has a picture (video) of the house
http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0607/434229.html

Posted by: pyramids17 ()
Date: June 29, 2007 11:46PM

Laura Discord!!! What did you do to that poor man?!?! Just kidding. According to Fairfax County's website, the area with those houses will be used by the Fairfax County Park Authority. I never go to Lorton, because I think the place is grimy, but Google Maps shows a golf course north of the area in question. I have no idea if this is open. But the plan they drew out to divide the land in 2001 states most of it (20%/553 something acres) will go to FCPA. The "first house" is in that territory. The "other two houses" you refer to are on a "Fire & Rescue/Cemetary" site. I don't know how the transformation of the property is coming, but this is all from the County website. Progress seems slow, probably because there is a lot of red tape. I'm sure they have to wait a while to have Historic Register applications approved. Historic Preservation involves a lot of time/work/MONEY.

Date: July 03, 2007 01:12PM

i like how a body was found on the grounds.. not only are these places haunted - but you might find somebody dead!!!

Posted by: Hunter703 ()
Date: August 23, 2008 03:33PM

There is another website to check out for different haunted areas in Virginia.

It is: dchauntings.com

Hope this helps for anyone trying to find some information.

Posted by: Fairfax Citizen ()
Date: August 23, 2008 04:05PM

The poltergeist from the Lorton prison has remained in the area. Witness the high level of crimes in Lorton. Interestingly, the folks in the multi-million dollar homes in the old Lorton area claim Fairfax Station as their residence and don't have the same crime. Why the higher levels of crime in the Lorton area?

Posted by: Awakened ()
Date: August 23, 2008 04:34PM

trogdor! Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This story has a picture (video) of the house
> http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0607/434229.html

This is not the same house as the one the OP found in the Photobucket ones, though perhaps he may have picked the wrong house, or maybe its not the house suspected of possessing dead bodies and a ghost. This is just as the OP described:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2008 04:35PM by Awakened.

Posted by: The Shiz ()
Date: January 24, 2009 12:21PM

We're gonna check out this house. I've past it and I thought someone lived there because I saw parked cars but apparently not. My friend said it was haunted but I thought nothing of it.

I'm not gonna be a pussy, I'm walking in that damn house and I will find out if it is or not. I'll come back and reply.

If I don't, we either didn't go, or I'm dead lol yay!

I went to the bunnyman's bridge. It's false, there is two bunnyman, one who just hates tresspassers and wears a bunny suit. The other one at the bridge is false. No proof that the coco-pen existed, none in Fairfax county exist. Lorton prison EXISTED in 1910 while they stop SEARCHING for them in 1905. There has been NO reports or murders around that area so half-false.

Date: January 24, 2009 12:54PM

Did you see this in the house?

Blair Witch Pictures, Images and Photos

Posted by: Oh Please ()
Date: January 24, 2009 01:07PM

I know the bulk of this thread is about Lorton, but from the original post...jeez, Occoquan is a ghost town? No one was around for 10 miles? My god, that part of PW County is just as dense and populated as lots of areas of Fairfax Co. I think you are trying a little too hard to romanticize your ghost story.

Posted by: Christopher Guest ()
Date: January 24, 2009 02:10PM

The Fairfax County website has tons of information and links about this - including large, close-up photos of the house.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dpz/laurelhill/laurel_hill_house_photos.pdf

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dpz/laurelhill/

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dpz/laurelhill/laurel_hill_house.htm

Posted by: Fran ()
Date: January 25, 2009 02:16AM

So my four friends and I wasted our time going out there. There were like 4 blank info slates and we assumed that its been turned into a tourist attraction. Not too creepy if you ask me and we were out there at one am. Over all its just a bunch of hyped up bs.

Posted by: Numbers ()
Date: January 25, 2009 11:52AM

WashingToneLocian Wrote:
> Did you see this in the house?
>
>

LOL! +++1

Posted by: someone ()
Date: September 06, 2009 12:37AM

its the original house in lorton, its not new, its oldest in the area, juss been fixed up a lil

Date: September 06, 2009 02:47AM

it's just a fenced up house wtf

Posted by: Numbers ()
Date: September 06, 2009 10:01AM

This house must be haunted because no one seems to be able to take a decent picture of it.

For Christ's sake, (1) point the camera, (2) focus, (3) hold camera steady and (4) hit the shutter.

Posted by: McLeaniac ()
Date: September 06, 2009 04:00PM

If they want to raise a lil money, Halloween is coming up. Sounds like it would make a KILLER haunted house. Who cares if any of it is true. It's a damn good yarn. The warden's house of an infamous prison? Before that the plantation home of a revolutionary war hero?

M. Night Shamaylan, are you getting this?

Good stuff.

Posted by: tomahawk ()
Date: September 06, 2009 08:49PM

According to one of those FFx Co links, it was owned by a Virginia officer who served in the American Revolution.

Funny, it doesn't look that old, looking at the construction style, I would've figured 1900 or so.

I've seen this house many times, it's near the frisby golf course, isn't it? That whole area is pretty creepy even in the daytime, because of the hills and brush it's easy to walk around in there and lose your sense of direction. You can hear cars on the road nearby, but you're not really sure which road it is.

There's a few trails running through there, and they link up with the Cross County Trail, which runs through the main prison, across Lorton Rd, and then through the workhouse part of the prison, which is the part that's been turned into an art center.

The whole section of land behind the art center is fenced off, but there are roads through the woods back there if you sniff around a little. I went for a run down there a few weeks ago and picked at least 10 ticks off my legs, so I won't go back there again until it gets cold.

Date: September 06, 2009 11:55PM

it was the warden's house or some shit

Posted by: tomahawk ()
Date: September 07, 2009 01:30AM

bdimag Wrote:
> it was the warden's house or some shit

Yeah, or some shit:

"The Laurel Hill House is located within the Adaptive Reuse Area of the former Lorton Prison site, to the south of the ballfield. The late-18th century house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as part of the larger site. It was the home of Major William Lindsay, who served in the Virginia Militia during the American Revolution. In the early 1900s the house was part of the Lorton Prison site, and served as home to the Superintendent of the prison. The house has been vacant since the 1970s. "

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dpz/laurelhill/laurel_hill_house.htm

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: September 07, 2009 02:29AM

bdimag Wrote:
> I cant look at photobucket from work.. but..
>
> I know the area..
>
> Since it was a DC correctional facility - those
> roads are DC property (although - i got stopped by
> a cop (gaurd?) and his car had maryland tags - i
> worked my way outta that.. didnt have a liscense
> either)
>
> if you look at the map (use hybrid), starting from
> ox road, and where Lorton rd splits (into a yellow
> Lorton Rd, and a grey Lorton Rd), my friend lives
> in the the house that has a small shed and a barn
> behind it (right before the split).. I was there
> just the other day (and go all the time).. but
> anyways, on that grey Lorton rd.. the house on the
> left is abandonded and beat-up like hell.. and
> then when that "lorton rd" hits furnace rd, theres
> the house that has the chainlink fence around it
> (theres no barbed wire from what I remember - but
> I'll look more carefully next time) - that house
> is freaky.. its so beat, and is fenced very close
> to the house (by DC i'm sure)..
>
> I'm lookin at the map, and im trying to explore
> that place now.. looks like the road continues on,
> but ends at another neighborhood i'm familiar
> with.. never knew..
>
> I'm assuming those were houses that were owned by
> DC and used for wardens and such..
>
>
> If your talking about a deer on that grey "lorton
> rd"... that was my friend :)
>
> just cause you hit a dear doesnt mean any windows
> are going to get shattered - his quarter panel is
> all sorts of dented though..
>
> and technically VA animal control cant do anything
> about it.. its a DC road and nobody is allowed to
> use it...

Wouldn't that be lovely, driving through VA and you get stopped by some Pig from PG County. Or even worse, you end up being shot in VA by the PG County Pig, because PGPD all sucks. Oh wait, that's already happened around here.

Even the river can't keeps us safe from those damn fools anymore. I know Lorton was D.C. Property, but wtf at the MD Police Car.

Posted by: Sir ()
Date: November 23, 2010 01:28PM

FYI, The DC DOC never owned Lorton property. It has always been FEDERALLY owned, and just operated by DCDOC. Actually, DCDOC was a federal instrumentality.

Posted by: Sir ()
Date: November 23, 2010 01:31PM

Lorton was never owned by the DC DOC, it has always FEDERALLY owned. They were technically federal prisoners. In fact, DC DOC and all other "municipal" district agencies are and has always been and will always be Federal instrumentalities because of Congress' exclusive jurisdiction over DC as their legislature and DC being a federal district. (see Article I, Section 8, Clause 17 of the U.S Constitution). So please don't be mislead of this DC statehood crap. FEDERAL!!!

Posted by: Chet Smith ()
Date: February 09, 2011 07:30PM

That house is where (the Director Of Corrections) lived, I should know I worked there at the prison for 21 yrs. when i was a Senior Correctional Officer, And i don't believe it is haunted.

Posted by: Bob Smith ()
Date: February 27, 2011 07:54AM

Does anyone know what still exists up there? Its been awhile since I've gone through and, while I know they have that art "house" on the grounds now, I'm more interested in what is left of the old prison, what remains in its "original" state, and how easily accessible it still is. I don't feel like driving an hour to find out its all been either town down, gutted, or retrofited into the next area "condos."

I've lived in PW almost my entire life and Lorton fascinated me. When they closed it I always said I wanted to explore but, sadly, I've procrastinated. Now I'm ready to roll but I fear its too late.

Thanks!

Posted by: Tyrone ()
Date: February 27, 2011 03:42PM

I live in laurel hill and my friends and I visited the prison regulary, they have a private security guard company that patral the prison grounds and park grounds in the afternoon and sometimes have night watch on the weekends. Right next to the prison is a frisebee park course and small lake and a biking trail, the prison is fenced up well and they have weekly inspections of the place to see if anything is broken. My friends and I used bolt cutters and sledge hammers, so if you have those you should be fine. they also started to remodel a section of the jail near the guard house but it looks like they've stoped for now. Be sure to check out the civil war time house, we bolt cutted the back fence a month ago, so hopefully they didn't fix it up yet.

Posted by: billy ()
Date: March 02, 2011 06:58PM

I work for a company that services the facility..It is guarded 24/7 so I would not recommend entering the facility. to my understanding they are trying to build an arts center on the facility. Its soo rundown that it does have an eerie feel to it.

Posted by: Tyrone(Securitas is sum shit)) ()
Date: March 02, 2011 11:13PM

Their companies is Securitas and they are shit at their job
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Securitas_AB
I've seen them in their Outdated shitty forD pickups, their old and fat. The old guards used to shoot up the prison for fun, they must of got fired. But Securitas is some real shit, they were hired as guards in potamac Mills for black Friday and I cane out of footlocker with 2 shoplifted sneakers worth for about 200$ I could of stole that guards belt if I wanted too. So don't be discouraged, theyll hire anyone and they suck at their job. 24/7 security my ass, they just sit on their asses all day.

Posted by: watwatwat ()
Date: May 09, 2011 10:18PM

That's the Warden's old house for the Lorton prison. My Dad went to West Springfield High school in the late 60's early 70's and apparently the Warden's son went there too, that's their house. Pass by it at least twice a week, don't think its haunted.

HOWEVER

there is a house almost across the street down a gravel path that isn't visible from the road. Ive heard rumors about MS-13 members gruesomely murdering a woman there, it too is gates off but the gate has a different NO TRESPASSING sign with the county seal on it. I discovered it when i was attempting to turn around on the gravel road, a security patrol (the same guys who guard the prison) followed me over and told me i had to leave immediately. I'm not sure if any of these rumors or stories are true but i live within 5 minutes of both houses and the one off the path definitely has an incredibly eerie appearance.

Posted by: Lortonite ()
Date: May 10, 2011 07:26AM

watwatwat Wrote:

>
> HOWEVER
>
> there is a house almost across the street down a
> gravel path that isn't visible from the road. Ive
> heard rumors about MS-13 members gruesomely
> murdering a woman there, it too is gates off but
> the gate has a different NO TRESPASSING sign with
> the county seal on it. I discovered it when i was
> attempting to turn around on the gravel road, a
> security patrol (the same guys who guard the
> prison) followed me over and told me i had to
> leave immediately. I'm not sure if any of these
> rumors or stories are true but i live within 5
> minutes of both houses and the one off the path
> definitely has an incredibly eerie appearance.

I live in the neighborhood right next to the gravel path house, and a gang-style execution did take place there. 2005? 2006? Can't remember when exactly but it was a man not a woman, and they blew off his head with a shotgun. From what I remember reading, the guy came from California to muscle in on some MS-13 business. Trash-on-trash crime, doesn't keep me awake at night with worry.

Posted by: its me. ()
Date: February 13, 2013 04:14PM

I know you see the young girl in front of the house in the last picture....
She has braids in her hair and she's dressed old fashion.

Creepy.

Posted by: Dogwalker ()
Date: March 03, 2013 01:22PM

I walk these grounds with my dog all the time. For the longest time, you could go into the dorm buildings, and see signs of prison life inside. There are still notices posted to inmates, telephone banks for calling out, and all kinds of artifacts that have been left behind. They've pretty much locked up the grounds now, and there's all kinds of road related construction going on. We were hoping it is being developed into a town center or something useful like that.

Posted by: Interesting ()
Date: March 03, 2013 02:44PM

Dogwalker Wrote:
> I walk these grounds with my dog all the time.
> For the longest time, you could go into the dorm
> buildings, and see signs of prison life inside.
> There are still notices posted to inmates,
> telephone banks for calling out, and all kinds of
> artifacts that have been left behind. They've
> pretty much locked up the grounds now, and there's
> all kinds of road related construction going on.
> We were hoping it is being developed into a town
> center or something useful like that.

My in-laws live in a community near the old prison. Whenever there was an escape, an alert went out, the siren went on, and everyone in the area locked themselves in their homes why the police searched the neighborhood for the escapees. God, what a stupid place to build a prison.

Posted by: Cygnusx1 ()
Date: March 12, 2013 10:32PM

I grew up in Burke and recently decided to explore the remains if the old prison. I pulled up to the Lindsay House this past weekend and Jesus, the place was swarming with turkey buzzards. They were freakin HUGE and were only flying around the house. I explored the gardens around back and found a nice deer skull. Later, I managed to crawl under a chains link fence and peek inside one of the prison dorms. I was I. And out in like a minute, but it was really cool.

Posted by: Lorton High School ()
Date: March 12, 2013 11:22PM

watwatwat Wrote:
> That's the Warden's old house for the Lorton
> prison. My Dad went to West Springfield High
> school in the late 60's early 70's and apparently
> the Warden's son went there too, that's their
> house. Pass by it at least twice a week, don't
> think its haunted.
>
> HOWEVER
>
> there is a house almost across the street down a
> gravel path that isn't visible from the road. Ive
> heard rumors about MS-13 members gruesomely
> murdering a woman there, it too is gates off but
> the gate has a different NO TRESPASSING sign with
> the county seal on it. I discovered it when i was
> attempting to turn around on the gravel road, a
> security patrol (the same guys who guard the
> prison) followed me over and told me i had to
> leave immediately. I'm not sure if any of these
> rumors or stories are true but i live within 5
> minutes of both houses and the one off the path
> definitely has an incredibly eerie appearance.

I would think that if you lived in Lorton in the 60's you would have gone to Mt Vernon High...after all, it was just a little ways up Rt 1...much closer, i would think, than West Springfield...

Posted by: Laurel Hill ()
Date: March 12, 2013 11:39PM

Dogwalker Wrote:
> I walk these grounds with my dog all the time.
> For the longest time, you could go into the dorm
> buildings, and see signs of prison life inside.
> There are still notices posted to inmates,
> telephone banks for calling out, and all kinds of
> artifacts that have been left behind. They've
> pretty much locked up the grounds now, and there's
> all kinds of road related construction going on.
> We were hoping it is being developed into a town
> center or something useful like that.

Yeah, it used to be a cool place to poke around. Also some of the old out-buildings too and the brick kilns down toward the river.

The plans are available if you've not seen them.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dpz/laurelhill/2009masterplanfinal.htm

Posted by: hmmmmm ()
Date: March 13, 2013 12:10AM

So I'm reading into the history of Lorton Prison all of a sudden because of this thread and am finding out that they may have kept our first Surface to Air missiles and then later on Intercontinental Nuclear Ballistic Missiles there for our nations defense. Nukes, 40 years ago, right here, the place is a populated suburb now.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dpz/laurelhill/history/nike.pdf

page 2

Posted by: GFY ()
Date: March 13, 2013 02:10AM

Theres was also a secret bunker in the old juvinile detention center

Posted by: Nike Missile Sites ()
Date: March 13, 2013 10:10AM

There are other Nike Missile locations in Northern Virginia.

There is one in Great Falls off Springvale Rd with the silo still there. It's been turned into a park of sorts, but still neat to look at.

Posted by: matt9898 ()
Date: March 14, 2013 12:14PM

Is the house still there or did they take it down

Posted by: Zena ()
Date: April 07, 2013 03:37PM

For my APUSH class I have to do a self-guided tour project which is basically an assignment in which you go to any historical place that interests you and take pics, learn its hisrtory etc. I have always passed by the white empty fenced off house on Furnace Rd on my way to Church before we found another route to take. I have always wondered about that house. So I decided to research about it and use it for my project. I have learned about how Fairfax County wants to make that prison area more of a residental area and that that white house or the old warden's mansion is now called the Barrett House that has alot of historical value behind it, which you can see at this website:
http://www.novahistory.org/Lorton_Barrett_House.htm

Yesterday I decided to go there with my friend and we took a bunch of pictures. The attached file photo 1 is the sign of that place.
Photo 2 is a picture of the actual house that IS fenced off from people.

Now I pulled into a gravel parking lot near that house because there is a field area for people to go running or go on trails. So as I turned around to go back onto Furnace Rd there is a gravel road that was perpendicular to furnace road near the one lane bridge. There is a sign next to it that is very faded and hard to read but it says notice: this road is for federal use only...

So being adventurous and curious as two teenage girls are we decided to go down that road anyways. As we were on the short road another car was on it and we passed each other with no problem. So it seemed like the people there actually used that road as a short cut instead of going on the one lane bridge. But that's besides the point. As we kept driving, on the right we saw a house covered in a thicket of trees. It was NOT WHITE. It's windows were boarded up and broken. The door was also boarded up shut. The driveway to the house had a gate on it that said no trespassing with a Fairfax County Seal as you can see in Photo 3.

The ironic thing is that there is a huge gap between the tree and the gate so one could easily trespass. And the pathway to the door was completely open but surrounded by trees ( Photo 4).

Photo 5 is the picture of the ACTUAL HOUSE!

Is it NOT the same as the White House (Barrett House)!

For this house there was an area were a board was slightly ajar and the door behind it was slightly opened, as if someone has ACTUALLY WENT INSIDE OF THE HOUSE AND TRESPASSED.... Just like we did (but we didn't actually go inside)... in broad daylight at 4 pm.

Anyways something didn't feel right as we were looking at the house so we got a bit freaked out and decided to go to the front of the house where there was a sign that someone has taken out of the ground and placed it face down on the ground. It was a no trespassing sign with the Fairfax seal again.

Suddenly we heard something and crouched down behind trees and a bicyclist passed by my car and didn't stop. So in a way it seems as if people don't really care about that house.

I've tried looking it up but nothing comes up and people confuse it with the Barrett House which IS NOT HIDDEN and NOT THE SAME HOUSE.

Also for the "circle of streetlights" it is a Nike Circle. See photo 6 and 7.

I hope y'all read my post though!

I'm just very intrigued by that one house which is all boarded up see Photo 8 and 9 (which is the front door).

There's also a shed that's boarded up (photo 10).

So does anybody know the history of this house or why there's nothing on it? What happened there?
Attachments:
photo (5).JPG
photo (4).JPG
photo (2).JPG
photo (1).JPG
photo (3).JPG
photo (7).JPG
photo (6).JPG
photo (8).JPG
photo (9).JPG
photo (10).JPG

Posted by: Lortonboy ()
Date: April 08, 2013 10:15AM

Zena- There is a lot of misinformation posted on this topic. The house that you are interested in was the home of the doctor for the reformatory and the workhouse. My grandfather was the superintendent of the reformatory and lived in the Barrett house. I lived there also as a child while my parents were building a house nearby. I remember going to the doctors house and it was quite nice. When I was a child the doctors name was Dr. Klune,later it was Dr. Foster.

Posted by: waldenthreenet ()
Date: April 08, 2013 12:09PM

April 8, 2013

RE: Abandoned Lorton Pentantiary and Lorton Train Station
Urban Revitalizaton Topics

Conversation:
I am quite familiar with this area as my Hindu/Jain Temple is located
rightdonw the street from the Lorton Pententiary.

It would be helpful if we can find out who is the "Redevelopment Contact Person" for that community. This information should be available from the Fairfax Supervisor who was elected from that Fairfax District.

Question: Anyone who lives in that Lorton Neighborhood know who is the District Supervisor for the Lorton District ?

Possible Follow Up: I believe that property is now under discussion for redevelopment . There is historic preservation topics that needs consideration and community input so that preservation of historic heritage is not sacrificed at the alter of commercialism as often happens in large scale redevelopment in some communities in Virginia.

The Ghost of John Mosby, the Gray Ghost, and the American Civil War (1861-1865) can still be seen and heard near that Lorton Rail Road Station in early mornning mist.

Coordinator,

Conversation Fairfax
Community to Community
Cafe Twin
Fairfax Richmond Twin Bridge__Arts & Science C2C

Prelude to Our Fairfax VA Vitality Boosters Ambassador

Video 01
France Alsace 01
3.5 Minutes

Conversation: A Music Event & Talk Show converstions for community enrichment & Community Spirit Building. This private channel is oritented to community advisory board feedback on show or series design in arts and science, typically prior to community tv studio tapings for public broadcast via community tv media.

On Utube, Category Unlisted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P40iy2InkXw
Attachments:
CIVIL WAR JOHN MOSBY  0310.jpg
Longfellow 0301.jpg

Posted by: Zena ()
Date: April 11, 2013 05:08PM

Thank you Lortonboy!

It the house empty just because or did something bad happen there, if I may ask?

And that's amazing how you actually grew up there!

Posted by: Lortonboy ()
Date: April 15, 2013 09:16AM

Zena- The house has been empty since the prison complex closed and it was a part of it, the same with the Barrett house where I lived. To my knowledge nothing bad happened there while it was occupied. I don't know what has happened there since it has been vacant. There is a post on this thread that talks about some gang activity a few years ago, but as I said previosly there is so much misinformation posted here I don't know if it's true or not.

Posted by: house ()
Date: July 09, 2013 04:18PM

What house?

Posted by: asdfasdfasdfasfd ()
Date: July 10, 2013 07:07AM

Lortonboy Wrote:
> Zena- The house has been empty since the prison
> complex closed and it was a part of it, the same
> with the Barrett house where I lived. To my
> knowledge nothing bad happened there while it was
> occupied. I don't know what has happened there
> since it has been vacant. There is a post on this
> thread that talks about some gang activity a few
> years ago, but as I said previosly there is so
> much misinformation posted here I don't know if
> it's true or not.

Thanks for the info!

Posted by: ryan ()
Date: July 31, 2013 01:09PM

I just went to the slaughter house, the door has been kicked in and you can walk inside it. I went in with my Iphone and snapped quite a few pictures.. I have one picture of question where a clear face can be seen in the picture up on the 2nd floor of the building. Im not going to say where it is tell me if you can find it.

I dont know how to put pictures in but here is a link
http://imageshack.us/a/img203/2262/gdyc.jpg

Posted by: ryan ()
Date: July 31, 2013 01:09PM

ah my bad for the double post
Attachments:
image.jpeg

Posted by: Curious G ()
Date: July 31, 2013 11:43PM

Does anyone know what the brick structure is that sits in the yard by the Barrett House?

It looks like a fireplace or kiln of some sort, next to the historical markers.

Posted by: Tyrone Black ()
Date: August 01, 2013 12:46AM

Please dont talk about Lorton. I did 6 years at that mother fucker in the 80s. Let me tell you that was crazy. I seen murders,rapes, sex with female guards {which was nice} and drugs all over the place. Daily routine was chow at 7 am basketball til 11 chow at 12 more basketball then chow at 5 and then back to the dorms where all the trouble started.

Posted by: Santana ()
Date: July 26, 2017 11:09PM

Cygnusx1 Wrote:
> I grew up in Burke and recently decided to explore
> the remains if the old prison. I pulled up to the
> Lindsay House this past weekend and Jesus, the
> place was swarming with turkey buzzards. They were
> freakin HUGE and were only flying around the
> house. I explored the gardens around back and
> found a nice deer skull. Later, I managed to crawl
> under a chains link fence and peek inside one of
> the prison dorms. I was I. And out in like a
> minute, but it was really cool.

I found your post so funny because till this day there're still turkeys there! Lmao

Posted by: John Yost ()
Date: February 22, 2018 08:30PM

Hey y'all so my name is John and I currently live in the renovated Apartments of the penitentiary over here at Laurel Crest and as of right now reading all the stuff it really peaked my interest and I've also taken a couple of those side Trails so some of these houses that everyone's talking about it is kind of familiar but as of right now I'll do some more research and look around try to find out what I can if anybody gets back to this and the relative amount of time give me some suggestions on where to go I'll do some looking around and see if I can find some stuff

Posted by: Become a re enactor ()
Date: February 23, 2018 08:59AM

John Yost Wrote:
> Hey y'all so my name is John and I currently live
> in the renovated Apartments of the penitentiary
> over here at Laurel Crest and as of right now
> reading all the stuff it really peaked my interest
> and I've also taken a couple of those side Trails
> so some of these houses that everyone's talking
> about it is kind of familiar but as of right now
> I'll do some more research and look around try to
> find out what I can if anybody gets back to this
> and the relative amount of time give me some
> suggestions on where to go I'll do some looking
> around and see if I can find some stuff

There is no pay but you can fill the role of the white prisoner getting ass raped repeatedly by corn rowed niggers.

Still interested?

Posted by: Nigger biography ()
Date: February 23, 2018 03:37PM

Tyrone Black Wrote:
> Please dont talk about Lorton. I did 6 years at
> that mother fucker in the 80s. Let me tell you
> that was crazy. I seen murders,rapes, sex with
> female guards {which was nice} and drugs all over
> the place. Daily routine was chow at 7 am
> basketball til 11 chow at 12 more basketball then
> chow at 5 and then back to the dorms where all the
> trouble started.

Niggggah please!

Sounds more like a day in the life of a Baltimore nigger basketball player. He has all these opportunities then blows it alllll in one day!

Posted by: K E E P O U T, warning! ()
Date: February 23, 2018 06:38PM

Properties are OFF limits. No Trespassing. Violators will be prosecuted! Historical Properties. Renovation plans are in the works...Closely watched and cameras operating.

Posted by: K E E P O U T ()
Date: February 23, 2018 06:40PM

Properties are OFF limits. No Trespassing. Violators will be prosecuted! Historical Properties. Renovation plans are in the works...Closely watched and cameras operating.

Posted by: K E E P O U T ()
Date: February 23, 2018 06:41PM

Properties are OFF limits. No Trespassing. Historical Properties. Renovation plans are in the works...Closely watched and cameras operating.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.